Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

Chapter 5 - I Must Not Stick Valuable Educational Equipment To My Classmates

Harry walked down the stone passageway looking at each of the paintings as he did so. He had been given directions to enter the room next to a painting of an orchard scene but he wasn't particularly familiar with this part of the castle.

He was almost at the end of the corridor when he spotted the painting.

Harry approached the door and knocked lightly before entering.

"Ah, good evening, Harry," said the Fat Friar

"Hi," re replied. "Hi, Nick."

Sir Nicholas smiled and gave him a small nod.

"Professor McGonagall said you wanted to meet here," said Harry. "You have news about Mark?"

"As you know the Headmistress asked us to keep a watchful eye on the boy. Please understand, however, that we are not at liberty to betray his confidences."

"I understand," said Harry. "I'm only interested in trying to help him."

"Well, we appreciate you have the boy's interests at heart. To be honest, we debated at some length whether we should tell you or not."

"Tell me what?" Harry asked, assuming they had indeed decided to confide in him.

"Well, first of all we should tell you what isn't wrong," said Sir Nicholas. "He spends quite a lot of his time alone, but he studies hard and does not seem to resent his solitary existence."

"He's on friendly terms with most of his fellow Hufflepuffs," continued the Fat Friar. "He does spend an excessive amount of time in the library, but then I was never much of a scholar myself."

Harry smiled, wondering what his comments about Hermione might have been.

"Well, his school work wouldn't really indicate an excessive amount of studying," said Harry. "Do you think he's just killing time?"

"No," said Sir Nicholas. "We think he has an extra curricular project."

"Really?" said Harry with interest. "Can you tell me what?"

"We don't actually know," admitted the Friar. "He's careful to close his notebook whenever anyone goes near him. I think the pages are charmed too. They were blank when I sneaked a look while he was in class."

Harry nodded.

"That's encouraging," he said. "He's smarter than I gave him credit for and he has an outside interest."

"There was a minor incident earlier today that may interest you. As you know, the corridor outside is on the most direct route between the Slytherin common room and the Great Hall. Most Slytherins pass by this way."

Harry nodded.

"Well, young Mark has been spending quite a bit of time down here."

"He's trying to get into the Slytherin common room?"

"No, no. His interest is next door and we don't think the Slytherins knew he was there for most of the time."

"But someone found him today?"

"We suspect he spent longer than he intended. He had a free period in the afternoon but unfortunately found himself late for his final lesson. We think he hurried out without checking that the coast was clear first."

"I'm assuming they thought he was spying on them?" said Harry.

"They outnumbered him eight-to-one, so they didn't need much of an excuse to start something."

"Is he okay?"

"I arrived just a moment before they attacked. There was an exchange of name calling and then they withdrew wands. I'm not too sure who fired first."

"Eight to one?" said Harry angrily. "I want their names."

"We cannot tell you that, Harry," said the Friar gently. "We were concealing our presence. Please understand our position."

"However, it may interest you to know that six Slytherins were found unconscious just outside this door. Two others reported finding them."

"What?"

"That's right. Young Mark has hidden duelling talents."

"I rather assumed he would be a target for bullies, to be honest," admitted Harry. "So, what was he so interested in down here, anyway?"

"Come and see."

The two ghosts floated effortlessly through the stone wall into the adjacent room. Harry, however, had to open the door, walk down the corridor and take the first left turn. Rather than finding a door, Harry entered a winding narrow passageway.

"No wonder the Slytherins didn't know he was here," muttered Harry as he finally emerged into a larger chamber. Ahead he could see the silvery glow of the two ghosts.

"Lumos!"

The high stone room was square and, as far as he could see, completely empty.

He shone his narrow wand beam around the room.

"So, what was he doing?"

"He examined this room minutely," said the Friar. "Every inch. Walls, floor and ceiling."

"Mark was looking for a secret passage?" suggested Harry. "Is there one?"

"None that we are aware of," said Sir Nicholas. "We have explored all around here and apart from a small cavity in the entrance wall, everything is solid masonry."

"What about this?" asked Harry. He walked over to the far wall and held his wand up. Built into the rough stonework there was fine limestone architrave that looked like it once framed a painting or something. It was large, over five feet wide and seven feet high.

"Did there used to be something here?"

"The Bloody Baron does not recall anything ever being here. He's the most familiar with this part of the castle."

"It could be a door, couldn't it?" said Harry, now feeling the fine stonework. "Maybe he found something in the library and decided to investigate."

"Perhaps."

*

"Alright," said Harry, raising his voice a little. "Copy down your homework and then you can go. Mr Brown, I believe we have an appointment for your detention?"

Alec Brown scowled and made his way back into the room as around them his classmates hurried to pack up and dash down for an early dinner.

"Where's your accomplice?" asked Harry, walking to the front of the classroom.

"Um, Peter may have got another detention for Mrs Bales."

"Well, he'll regret not telling me beforehand. I've no problem moving detentions around but not asking first will only get him two-for-one."

"He didn't know, Sir."

"When did he get Mrs Bales' detention?"

"This morning, Sir. He laughed when she accidentally set herself on fire."

"So, in the five or six hours since then he hasn't had a minute to come and see me?"

Alec just shrugged.

"Well, anyway," said Harry, closing the classroom door. "Tonight, we will be reviewing sticking charms. What are you doing, Alec?"

"Getting my parchment out, Sir. What lines do you want me to right."

"Well, it ought to be I must not stick valuable educational equipment to my classmates. Unfortunately, your sticking charms are so woeful Professor McGonagall suspected she had a Troll enrolled by mistake."

"We were only messing around, Sir."

"I don't suppose you'll be the last boy at this school to be punished for teasing the girls, Alec. Put that parchment away and get your wand out. Tonight we'll cover the charm and counter-charm. I suspect you'll need the latter, actually."

Harry was pleased to see Alec progress well over the next half-hour.

"That's good, Alec. See what you can do when you apply yourself?"

Alec nodded.

"Sir, why can't we have you for Charms? Mrs Bales just shouts at us most of the time."

"Well, maybe you should give her a chance."

Alec just snorted derisively.

"Tell you what, Alec. I'll do you a deal. You owe me six more evenings, right?"

"No way, Sir! It was five, Sir. Honest."

"Alec, I've not forgotten you trying to feed Mrs Norris to that engorged Preying Mantis."

"Oh, that. Okay."

"Well, I'll let you off all those detentions if you'll promise me you'll stay out of trouble and not get any more detentions for one week."

"Only detentions from Mrs Bales, right?"

"I want two weeks if we're only talking about Mrs Bales' detentions then."

"A week and a half," countered Alec.

"Ten calendar days. Deal," said Harry, holding out his hand.

Alec shook his hand wearing half a smirk. Harry tightened his grip slightly and smiled knowingly.

"Do you know what a binding magical contract is, Alec?" he said, as Alec twitched slightly. "Very serious things. Serious things happen when you break a binding magical contract, and that's what you just made. Please remember that before you're tempted to break our agreement."

Harry released his hand and went over to collect his things.

Alec was shaking slightly, feeling his arm. Harry knew it wasn't really fair of him taking advantage of the boy's lack of knowledge. The sparks of magical discharge had simply been a trick to make him think there would be much more than self-control involved.

"Your ten days starts tomorrow morning," Harry reminded him. "Go, on. Get some food."

"Um, Sir?" asked Alec nervously, still rubbing his arm. "What if Mrs Bales just picks on me for no reason?"

"I doubt that would ever happen. I'm not going to tell her about our agreement, but I will ask her to give you a chance to turn over a new leaf. How's that?"

*

"Ah, Harry," said Professor McGonagall looking up from her desk. "Please, take a seat. I understand the ghosts have advised you about Mark Stannard?"

"Yes, Professor," said Harry, sitting down. "I've been trying to think what to do for the best."

"Do you think the Slytherins will attempt some form of reprisal?"

"Possibly, but he was outnumbered before. I expect they are a little too shame-faced to get too many more involved."

"That isn't generally a Slytherin trait, Harry. What do you think he was doing down there, anyway?"

"Well, he's clearly been researching something."

"Indeed. So, what do you recommend?"

"Well, I don't think we should confront Mark with all this just yet. I'm convinced he was acting in self defence on this occasion. I'm also quite pleased he has some interest outside of school, too. I'd like to know what that was, of course, but unless he's doing something dangerous I'm inclined to just give him some room."

Professor McGonagall smiled at him.

"You know, Dumbledore once made a rather similar recommendation to me while we were discussing your suspicious activities?"

Harry snorted.

"Very well. I will ask the ghosts to continue their observations for a further couple of weeks, though."

"Is there a particular reason, Professor?"

"I've a feeling young Mark will be in need of some help at some point."

*

"Julia? Can I get you a coffee while I'm here?" asked Harry, tapping the kettle with his wand and making steam blast from the spout.

"Hm?" she replied looking around. "Oh. Hi, Harry. No thanks, I'm fine."

Harry finished making his drink and came over to sit opposite her in one of the worn armchairs scattered around the staff room.

"How's things?" he asked, taking a sip.

Julia Bales had joined the staff at just about the same time as Harry. Unfortunately it was taking her considerably longer to settle into her new role as a teacher. Before Hogwarts she had been a private tutor and Harry knew she struggled to maintain control of her classes. He had never asked, but the rumour was that she had been widowed shortly before the fall of Voldemort and now she just wanted to make a fresh start.

He was privately surprised that she had stuck it out this long. Julia was several years older than Harry and yet appeared to lack any degree of confidence in her abilities. She was visibly intimidated by her students and easily flustered. Often her demonstrations descended into farce and he often needed to teach Charms in his own classes just so they could keep up with his own Defence syllabus.

Harry sensed this was why she was fast becoming the butt of some very unkind comments.

"Oh, much the same," she replied, sounding a little dejected as usual.

Harry nodded sympathetically.

"I had quite a good morning, though. My Second Years weren't half the trouble they usually were. You know, you might have been right about Alec Brown?"

Harry raised his eyebrows in pretend surprise.

"What about the other one?" he asked.

"That was the strange thing. As the class was leaving, I discovered that Alec had actually glued Peter to his desk. No wonder he had been so quiet. He'd been trying to free himself the whole time while Alec actually paid attention and worked."

"Wonders never cease," said Harry.

"Oh, I think it will only be temporary. Peter was spitting mad with me when I released him. Alec used rather a strong sticking charm and it rather smarted."

"He was burned?"

"No, just embarrassed. I probably should have made sure those girls couldn't see him through the doorway. Now they know he can't perform the counter-charm to release himself. I suspect we'll find him stuck to all kinds of things over the next few days."

Harry snorted.

"Poor boy. He's completely besotted with a certain young lady amongst them too. I'm sure that's why he shows off so much."

Harry found he was completely taken aback by that remark.

"You've got them again Thursday?"

"Yes, just before lunch."

"Well, that class is with me first thing. Would it be okay if I delayed Peter a few minutes? He owes me a couple of detentions anyway."

"Um, sure. Well, I'd better get going," said Julia, collecting her papers.

*

Something told Harry he'd have been better to just ignore the shrieks of female laughter coming from inside the classroom and carry on back to the staff room. He opened the door a crack, hoping he could just satisfy himself that nothing was wrong.

About six or so girls were doubled up with laughter and Harry smiled seeing their usual victims on the far wall, a few feet above the floor.

He stepped into the classroom and waited for the girls to realise he was there.

"Alright, I think you've had your fun," he said, pointing his wand at Peter to perform the counter charm. At almost the same time Alec released himself and jumped down.

"Hey, Sir!" complained the first girl to have composed herself.

"Step outside a moment, will you?" he asked the two boys. "Close the door after you, please."

Harry waited until the door clicked shut.

"They started it, Sir!"

"I know they did," agreed Harry. "I'd still like you to stop now, though. I'm getting fed up of unsticking them from the architecture."

"But they ruined my favourite robes! Look, I needed to have them mended."

"They don't really look like they're ruined, Jane. In fact, that mend is almost invisible now you've burned them. Potions, was it?"

"Well, they were still spoilt," she said defensively.

"So, how about a truce?" Harry asked. "Otherwise, I may have to ask Professor McGonagall to revoke your Hogsmeade permissions for a while."

"How come you're on their side, Sir?"

"I'm not aware I am. I will be giving those two detentions, as a matter of fact. If you think it would be fairer to invite you too, please just say."

The girls fell silent.

"If you give me your assurances that this ends here, you can all go."

Harry accepted their mumbled words and asked them to send the boys in on their way out.

"I'm not even going to ask," said Harry. "Alec, Mrs Bales could do with some help Friday evening. Please report to her office at eight o'clock. You'll be helping her prepare her Charms display, so mind you're prompt."

Alec grimaced.

"Peter, you'll be helping me that night. Wrap up warm because we'll be working outside."

"Why can't I do the Charms display too?"

"Peter, why would Mrs Bales have you? You manage to disrupt everything she tries to do and you still haven't learned that sticking counter-charm, have you?"

Peter scowled down at the floor.

"What will you be doing outside, Sir?" asked Alec.

"I thought we'd take a stroll into the Forbidden Forest," said Harry. "Professor Cauldern is running low on a few potions ingredients and Professor Jackson could use some help."

The elderly and rather frail Professor Jackson no longer took his students into the forest for their Care of Magical Creatures classes. For some time Harry actually thought his name was Action but then he discovered this was a rather ironic nickname.

"The forest?" repeated Alec, his eyes lighting up. "We've never been in there. Can't I come too?"

"No, Alec. I think Mrs Bales deserves to make the most of your last trouble-free day."

Alec snorted and Peter looked at him quizzically. Friday would be the last day of Alec's agreement not to get into trouble with Mrs Bales.

"I'd agree to a small extension," offered Alec. "For the right incentive," he added quickly.

"Gentlemen, I really must be going. If Mrs Bales agrees to a swap, then I'll agree as well provided you're both doing a different detention."

*

Harry closed the confidential Auror briefing report and frowned to himself. On his desk in front of him was a copy of the Daily Prophet, the front cover of which was covered with a large moving photograph of the Minister of Magic making a speech. Hemlock certainly knew how to keep himself in the news.

Harry opened the paper again, mainly so that he wouldn't need to look at the Minister, to the small article that he had hardly noticed before reading his Auror report.

The article was written by a staff reporter that Harry hadn't heard of before and concerned a Muggle assault that Ministry Officials admitted had most likely been conducted by a wizard.

"There were no witnesses from the magical community present that we are aware of, but the many Muggle witnesses reported that the victim was thrown bodily from the platform just as the a train was pulling into the station."

The report went on to speculate why the Ministry was taking such an interest in the case but came to no firm conclusions.

Harry, who had the benefit of his briefing report, now knew exactly why they were interested.

According to the report, the investigating Aurors were convinced that the assault was performed by a powerful Dark Wizard. There had been some kind of argument between the victim and a stranger in the ticket hall just beforehand. Witnesses described the stranger as wearing dark, non-descript clothes and none of the security cameras recorded a single clear image while he was present. Not one witness could recall any features at all about the stranger's face either.

The Ministry had made discrete investigations and could find no links whatsoever with the magical community.

The investigation was clearly ongoing, but one thing stood out for Harry. Both the newspaper article and the Ministry report had suggested that the attacker had used wandless magic.

Harry felt this was rather a strange thing to highlight. From what he had read, none of the witnesses could be described as reliable having almost certainly been subjected to memory modifications.

Yet they were convinced someone using wandless magic was responsible.

Harry sealed the report, wondering if Neville's warning had some substance after all. He hadn't actually stopped performing magic without his wand as Neville had asked, but each time he did so just lately he remembered Neville's earnest pleas.

Just then the fire erupted into life and green flames shot up the chimney. Harry looked down to see a spinning shape in the grating.

A moment later Hermione stepped out of the fire looking simply exhausted.

"Hi," he said, getting up and going over to her.

Hermione just dropped her bag and hugged him.

"Long day?" he asked gently. "I thought you planned to stay in London for a couple of nights."

"Oh, I just wanted to get away," she said.

"Have you eaten? We could go and raid the kitchens," he suggested.

"No, but I'd rather just stay here tonight."

"Well, you must eat. I'll go and get something for us, shall I?"

"Mm," she said tiredly, nodding her head.

"Um, Hermione? You'll have to get me go if you want food."

Hermione just tightened her grip.

"Oh, what a day," said Hermione miserably. "Did you see the Prophet front page? It's simply outrageous."

"No, I didn't read it," admitted Harry. "What's he done now?"

"The Minister has set up a new hearings panel. He said it was to relieve the Wizengamot of some of its workload by trying minor cases using a tribunal."

"That's not good?"

"No. The Wizengamot dispenses justice, no-one else. The Wizengamot should decide whether it needs the assistance of tribunals acting as lower courts and we should certainly have a say who sits on the tribunals."

"Well, there was quite a backlog of minor cases, wasn't there?"

Hermione pushed herself away and snapped angrily, "Who's side are you on?"

"Yours," said Harry automatically.

Hermione pulled a face and hugged him again.

"I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't mean to bite, but I've had the same argument with everyone today. I know the Wizengamot isn't perfect."

"When will these tribunals start?" asked Harry.

"They already have. Not that the Wizengamot was important enough to be told. The problem is there seems to be a precedent for tribunals in the past. We don't think we'll find a legal argument that will prevent them being used."

"Didn't the accused have advocates to represent them?" asked Harry.

Hermione gave a great sigh and said, "No, not that I can tell. I've been trying to find out about the rules that they operate under and get a few transcripts but the Ministry won't release any details."

"Do you think they might be trying to get revenge for all those hearings? Quite a few of the Minister's old cronies were forced to resign, weren't they?"

"It did occur to me, yes. I'll just be glad when David is back. He was the only one to track down filed information at the Ministry."

"When are they due back from their honeymoon?"

"Not for over a week," she replied miserably.

"Well, try not to get too upset. Why don't you have a bath and I'll sneak down to the kitchens. What do you fancy?"