Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

-

Sorry for the delay!

-

Chapter 16 - Who Is He? I Don't Approve Of Him At All!

Harry then turned to Snape.

His smile faded.

He considered the surly looking boy for a moment and then threw him his wand back.

Although the wand landed lightly almost into his outstretched hands, the boy fumbled the catch and ended up gathering the wand to himself awkwardly with his arms. He grabbed the wand handle tightly but made no attempt to point it at anyone.

"How old is he really?" asked Mark.

"About forty," replied Harry.

"How did you get this way?"

"I don't really remember," admitted Snape. "The letter implied Dumbledore and I had agreed that he would leave a hidden package that I was to retrieve if the Dark Lord turned on me. The package was simply food and supplies for me to hide out until help came.

"I must have retrieved the package and then followed Dumbledore's directions to another safe location.

"A few weeks ago I woke up in an empty cave. I had absolutely no memory of anything. I didn't even know my name or how I'd come to be there.

"I found food and a letter which told me to remain in the cave until my memories began to return."

"I suppose that must have been an effect of the spell," said Hermione. "Did your memories take long to come back?"

"I've no idea how long it took. There was plenty of food and the cave was warm and dry so I stayed.

"Every day I woke up and found something new beside me. They were things that made me remember flashes from my past, like a photograph of my mother. Finally, I realised that this thing," he said waving his wand, "was a wand and that I was a Wizard. It was a good job there was plenty of firewood, otherwise I'd have burnt it."

Snape stared down at the shoebox.

"Then, the next morning, a shoebox turned up. It was just like that one," he added, nodding down at the plain cardboard box.

"The box contained detailed letters from Dumbledore amongst other things and these seemed to bring back all my memories.

"So, there I was. Young again to the extent that I was almost unrecognisable but with absolutely no magical ability at all. I was furious, of course, and destroyed the letters in a fit of rage one night."

"Were you expecting something more?" asked Hermione.

"I've no idea," he admitted.

"Of course you were," interrupted Harry.

"What would you know?" spat Snape. "You know nothing, Potter. Nothing!"

"Really? I remember rescuing you from Voldemort and then sparing your life."

"You only did that because you needed me," countered Snape.

"That's right," replied Harry. "I released you after you ceased to be useful to me, though. I could have killed you or handed you over to the Ministry, as I'd vowed to do; but I didn't. You lived, even though you showed no remorse for the murders you committed."

"I was carrying out his orders. Dumbledore's orders," he added quickly.

"Of course you were. You received orders from both sides, didn't you? Except, you only carried out those orders that suited you."

"I had to maintain my cover."

"You were playing a very dangerous game," said Harry. "For a long time not even Voldemort guessed what you were up to."

"It couldn't have been that hard if you guessed, Potter."

"Ah, but I didn't guess, did I?"

"Overdosed on more, um - thing - potion, have you?"

"Babbling?" offered Mark quietly, but the others were not listening.

"You thought you should have been the so called Chosen One," continued Harry. "You were convinced that only you could get close enough to Voldemort to strike him down. Then you should have been proclaimed a hero. After all those years working as a double agent as such personal risk, they'd have to strike a new Order or Merlin. First Class wouldn't be nearly good enough."

"I'd deserve it!"

"Still," continued Harry, "things didn't really go to plan, did they? Dumbledore wasn't supposed to live for so long, was he? You kept on trying to get Voldemort to kill him, but he was always too cautious."

"He always over-estimated Dumbledore's abilities."

"No, he didn't. Dumbledore also had an annoying habit of gathering information from a number of sources, some of which you never knew. He never entirely trusted you, did he?"

"Yes, he did! He was fooled even to the moment of his death!"

"Oh, he believed you were on our side. That's true enough, but he suspected you had ambitions to replace Voldemort as the new Dark Lord if the Ministry weren't appreciative enough. You always thought you'd be clever enough avoid all those little mistakes Voldemort fell into."

"If that were true, he would never have sent me as his agent."

"Dumbledore trusted you would do the right thing in the end. He was wrong in that respect and I think he knew he might have been wrong. Even so, Dumbledore cared enough to help you from beyond the grave, just as he left help for me.

"He gave you a way out by offering you a new start. He has literally turned your clock back. Do you think you deserved a new start?"

"Of course I deserve it!" sneered Snape. "I placed myself at enormous personal risk. I should be hailed; not vilified."

"That was never going to happen, not after-"

"Because I killed Dumbledore?"

"As a matter of fact, you were never convicted of his murder," said Hermione a little shakily. "Even the charges were dropped after Harry testified before the Wizengamot."

"Why?" asked Snape, looking incredulous. "You promised you would kill me if you ever saw me again."

"I did," admitted Harry. "Dumbledore left me letters in which he explained properly how he got his hand injured. He was convinced you did your best to heal him, but accepted he had little chance for surviving much longer."

"He just wanted a few more months," Snape said quietly. "I did my best."

"That didn't make it right to take him away from us. From me."

"He ordered me to do whatever was necessary."

"Dumbledore deserved better," said Harry bitterly. "I'll never forgive you for killing him, Snape. Never."

Harry breathed deeply. The dark side of him that had vowed to kill Snape was threatening to break through again. The last time he's allowed that to happen was right here in the forest when he had killed so many.

He reminded himself that one of his reasons for being here at Hogwarts was to lay those particular demons to rest.

Harry forced himself to calm down before continuing.

"The irony was, of course, that Voldemort didn't appreciate your actions either, did he? From what Draco told us, it sounded like he was very suspicious of you after that."

"Yes. I completely miscalculated his reaction," admitted Snape. "For months he had been constantly raging pleas demanding Dumbledore's death by any means. Once he had it, though, it was a different story."

"Oh, come on," said Harry in exasperation. "Dumbledore was already weak from a curse protecting Gaunt's ring, he was poisoned by Voldemort's protections and he even gave up his wand! This was the one Wizard that Voldemort had always feared. If he was killed so easily that hardly says much for Voldemort, does it?"

"It was more than that," Snape corrected him. "The Dark Lord always admired powerful Witches and Wizards. Had Dumbledore been well, I'm sure the Dark Lord would have wanted to do it himself. He never for a moment believed Draco's plan would succeed."

There was quiet for a moment as both Harry and Snape simmered with hostility towards each other. Even the forest seemed to quiet down.

The silence was broken by Hermione.

"Could I ask to what extent you think your memories have returned?"

"I'm not sure," Snape admitted. "I just know I knew lots of spells and potions, but I can't remember anything. I found quite a few plants that I knew I should know about from their look or smell, but I just can't remember."

"What about other memories? Do you remember your childhood?"

"Yes, keener than ever. My mother in particular."

"What about school? Do you remember Hogwarts?"

"Vaguely. I don't remember any of the lessons or classmates."

"You don't remember people? What about after school?"

"That's pretty much a blank. I know I taught and I sort of remember teaching but there are no specifics."

"Yet, you seem to remember us. Do you remember us at school? What about our classmates; the ones you used to teach?"

"I remember you two, but nothing more."

"So, your memories came back but now you're losing them again," said Hermione. "I wonder if your strong feelings about Harry have enabled you to cling onto those memories a little longer? You never did get on, you know?"

"I remember," Harry and Snape said together through gritted teeth.

"Um," she began in a small voice. "As I began to tell you earlier, a file recently came into my possession. It told me a little about what might have happened to you."

Snape looked over to her.

"Time for you to decide, Severus," Harry said seriously.

"Decide? The letter just said I was to return to Hogwarts. What do I have to decide?"

"Dumbledore always trusted you; even when you wavered," said Hermione gently, now addressing the boy, not the man inside. "He knew that whatever happened, your previous life would be over. Voldemort was bound to discover your treachery and even now the entire wizarding world considers you to have murdered the greatest wizard of our age.

"Dumbledore made provision for your future, Severus. He knew he might not survive, so he entrusted his wishes to another. That wizard died recently and the responsibility for seeing that Dumbledore's wishes were fulfilled passed to me.

"He knew that you had to leave your old life behind, so Dumbledore decided to give you a new beginning.

"There is place for you at Hogwarts, Severus, if you wish it. I'd guess that you are physically about thirteen years old, but your magical abilities are much reduced. In fact, just like Harry you will never again in your life produce an effective Unforgivable Curse. I've no idea about how your skills as a Legilimens might be affected.

"Your dexterity should improve so you'll become less clumsy, but you're going to have to suffer puberty once again.

"Physically you should grow older at a normal rate from now on but your overall life expectancy will probably remain unchanged. Even so, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy a worthwhile life.

"What you decide to do with that life is up to you, but I hope you will accept this opportunity. Learn from your mistakes, Severus. This is a new beginning for you."

"Isn't he still a Death Eater?" asked Mark quietly.

"There's no Dark Mark now," said Harry.

"I'll be found out," said Snape, his voice quavering slightly. "Besides, how can I attend school. I haven't been able to produce a single shred of magic."

"We can protect you," said Hermione. "The Ministry will never know."

"It won't be easy," said Harry. "You'll have to attend classes with students much younger than you, especially until you get up to speed. It will mean a lot of work and hard study outside classes too."

"Yes, and I bet you can't wait to get your own back, can you, Potter?" sneered Snape.

"Professor Potter," Harry replied evenly. "What happened to your shoebox?"

"I lost it. It must have slipped overboard while I was sheltering from the storm. I stowed away on a boat but the crossing was a bit rough."

"No, you didn't lose it," said Harry, reaching down and picking up the shoebox. "Take a closer look. Look familiar?"

He rotated it around so that the distinctive torn labels now faced Snape.

Snape looked at it in shock.

"It can't be the same one. It got lost overboard. It fell into the sea."

"No," said Harry, standing up and holding it out to Snape. He dropped his wand and took it with small trembling hands, but Harry did not let go. He looked down into those black eyes and a chill seemed to fall around them.

"He was your friend. He was the only true friend you ever had; and I had to watch you kill him. I won't ever forgive you for that, Snape. I know Dumbledore wanted you to maintain your cover at all costs, but I knew you would betray our cause before it was all over."

Harry let go of the box, and Snape clutched it close to him like a doll. His mouth distorted in a sneer, ready to make some retort but he glanced down at the box and he faltered.

The wand in Harry's pocket seemed to grab his attention. It was the moment he always knew would come one day.

If he was going to execute Snape, then now was the time.

Regardless of Hermione's objections, Severus Snape was a condemned man. He had been convicted in his absence for many terrible crimes done in the name of Voldemort.

This boy before him may have the appearance of a young teenager, but deep inside he was still Snape. This was a man for whom his hate surpassed even that he had for Voldemort. He had dreamed of the moment he would finally take his revenge; and had preyed that he might live just long enough to fulfil that dream.

Harry's hand seemed to close on his wand without any conscious will to do so.

He had wanted to demand a plea for mercy from Snape; some kind of acknowledgement that he had been wrong. That he was sorry for doing such dreadful things.

Harry knew this was now pointless and he hated Snape for denying him that too. Snape the man would have died before asking Harry's forgiveness and Snape the boy might not now remember half the things he had done.

Perhaps it would be best if he ended this now.

He looked down at the boy whose entire attention was fixed on the tatty shoebox.

Dumbledore's shoebox.

He wondered if he too was about to misplace his trust and in the same moment knew he couldn't kill this child. He was hardly Severus Snape and according to the scrolls his adult memories would be completely gone very shortly. Even now he could have no idea what crimes he was condemned for. His ability to perform magic would return too in time, but he would need to re-learn everything.

Was he a good enough teacher, wondered Harry? Could he really teach this child there was more to life than hatred?

The boy's eyes flicked up to Harry before returning to the shoebox. Harry saw confusion not fear of him reflected in those black eyes now.

A moment later, the boy was in floods of tears. It was as if the weight of everything he had done had come crashing down upon him.

Harry placed a hand on the boy's shoulder and he forced himself to stop crying.

"You live through Dumbledore's compassion; not mine," said Harry "Be worthy of that compassion. Earn the trust he placed in you."

Hermione sighed very quietly but Harry could almost feel her relief.

"Let's go up to the feast," he said gently. "You need a name. What would you like to be called?"

Snape shrugged, wiping his eyes.

"Last name Prince, I think," said Harry, now sounding much more business-like. "What about a first name? Any suggestions?" he asked the group at large.

"James," said Snape. "It's my second name, after my mother's father."

"James," repeated Harry. "Okay, James Prince. Welcome to Hogwarts. I'm afraid you're out of bounds. Next time, you'll get a detention. Same goes for you, Mark."

"Yes, Sir."

"What House do you fancy, James?" asked Harry. "Not Slytherin, though. How about Hufflepuff with Mark here?"

James nodded but Harry wondered if he was listening properly.

"Good. You can make up your personal history as you go. Mark will help you, he's good at that. Now, what have I forgotten? Ah, yes."

Harry levelled his wand at James and said slowly, "Now, stand very still."

There was a flash of light and the boy before them looked completely different. The greasy curtains of black hair were gone, replaced by a severe crew-cut. Harry only fleetingly regretted not being able to tell Ron that he had finally succeeded in carrying out something he had threatened to do in his Second Year.

"Now," Harry said seriously. "We've all heard things this evening that would be harmful in the wrong hands. Let's agree to keep all this just between the four of us, okay?"

"Professor McGonagall will need to know, too," Hermione reminded them.

"Some things, Hermione," said Harry. "Not everything."

James checked that he still had ears while Harry proceeded to vanish the chairs and Hermione examined the clothes James stood in.

She decided that a few cleaning spells would do for now and quickly proceeded to clean him up.

"I still can't do magic," complained James. "Don't you think that might be a slight problem what with Hogwarts being a school for magic?"

"Ah," said Harry, clapping him hard on the back as they headed back to the castle. "It just so happens that a friend of ours has developed a kind of cure. It does involve a certain risk and you keep catching fire for a while afterwards, but it might be worth having a go."

"Harry," warned Hermione.

Harry grinned at her. He knew full well that James could indeed perform magic. He'd forgotten how, but with help he would soon catch up with his classmates.

It looked like he would have resume his popular Defence detentions after all.

For now, though, Harry was content just to tease the boy a little.

*

The four of them stepped into the Great Hall while everyone was enjoying the celebration feast and chatting happily amongst themselves.

James turned and immediately headed for a spare seat, clearly suddenly very hungry at the sight of so much food. Mark tried to stop him but was unable to grab him in time.

Deciding he had better follow, Mark joined James and sat down next to him.

Unfortunately James appeared to have chosen his seating place out of an old habit, because they were now sitting at the Slytherin table. James immediately piled his plate high with food and only Mark paid any attention to the hostile looks the other Slytherins were giving them.

Fortunately an incident was avoided when Carmen hurried over to join them. She was far too powerful a witch to make an argument with and so they returned to their conversations while Carmen quietly demanded explanations from Mark.

Harry and Hermione made their way up to the Staff table and were invited to sit down next to Professor McGonagall.

"I'll introduce you to James later, Professor. He's agreed to join the Hufflepuffs, only it may take him a while to get used to the idea."

"So I see," she replied looking over to the Slytherins.

Harry smiled and nodded to David at the end of the table as Kathryn chatted happily to Lupin and Tonks.

"How is young Mark?" Professor McGonagall asked at once.

"I think he'll be fine. We pretty much got there just in time."

"Good."

"I've said there'll be no punishment this time, Professor. Um, where's Natasha?" Harry asked, scanning the Ravenclaw table but not seeing her.

"She's in rather a great demand this evening. She's been happily flitting between the tables all evening, including this one. I believe she's currently with the Gryffindors."

Harry looked down the table and spotted her about halfway down. She got up and made her way towards Carmen but saw Harry and came over.

"I was worried you wouldn't come!"

"No chance of that," said Harry with a smile.

He expected her to pass comment on his rather muddy dress robes, but her attention seemed suddenly distracted.

"Um, who's that boy that came in with you and Mark?"

"His name is James Prince. He'll be joining your Year as a Hufflepuff."

"He's not a Slytherin? Does he know he's at the wrong table?"

"You can talk, Miss Ravenclaw," Harry said laughing. "I think you'd better go and join them or the Slytherins will feel left out."

Natasha hurried over and tried to sit next to Carmen, only she wouldn't let her in. Blushing furiously, Natasha had to sit next to James.

"Who is he? I don't approve of him at all!" said David in a falsely serious voice from behind them, making Harry and Hermione burst out laughing.

"First impressions are so important, aren't they?" agreed Hermione.

"I dealt with those files, Hermione."

"Thank you, David. I'm sorry you had to go, but I needed someone I could trust."

"No worries. I'll see you later," he said and returned to sit next to Kathryn.

"I'm not going to even ask," resolved Harry aloud.

"No, I've learnt my lesson, Harry. I just needed David to make sure no-one ever found out what we found out about Mark's real parents. You see, he was adopted. His natural parents were murdered on Voldemort's orders. Unfortunately, the people who adopted him were Voldemort's supporters. By a strange co-incidence, you killed his father and David killed his mother."

"I wondered," said Harry, looking over at Mark who seemed to be pleading with Carmen not to do something amusing with a large jug of juice.

"His real parents were very talented. We wondered if Voldemort hadn't wanted him to grow up as one of his supporters."

"That's a chilling thought. Mark's going to be a very powerful wizard when he gets a little older. The fact that he could perform magic so close to the arch is amazing."

Hermione nodded and asked, "So, which ones did he want to bring back, do you think? His birth parents or the Voldemort supporters?"

Harry considered for a long moment but then said quietly, "It doesn't matter."

Just then Moaning Myrtle floated up out of the floor right in front of them.

"Have you decided yet, Professor?"

"Myrtle, how many more times?" complained Professor McGonagall.

"Oh, but he really wants to stay. Please can he? Draco is so sensitive and he's completely turned over a new leaf."

"Perhaps, but there really isn't anywhere for him to stay at the moment."

"He can share my toilet!"

"I'm not sure that would be entirely appropriate. After all, you're only sixteen, Myrtle."

"I died over fifty years ago, Professor!"

Draco drifted into the Hall at the far end looking thoroughly bored.

"Oh, isn't he wonderful," enthused Myrtle dreamily. "I'll go and tell him you're thinking about it."

Draco fled the moment he saw her.

*

Harry and Hermione stood with their arms wrapped around each other beside the lake. It was gone midnight and the feast had just come to an end.

"I didn't quite tell Mark and James everything, earlier," he confided.

"You keep calling him James, Harry."

"Snape is dead as far as I am concerned, Hermione. I hated Snape like no-one else; even more than I hated Voldemort. If Snape lives on in my mind, then so will part of my hatred for him. If I only think of James as James, then I can give him the chance that Dumbledore thought he deserved."

"Does he deserve it?"

"That's up to James, isn't it?"

Hermione kissed him.

"Of course, the really annoying thing is that he won't remember anything so there won't be any point in me reminding him of the fact that I'm not mistreating him in revenge for the way he mistreated me!"

"You know, Dumbledore really ought to have thought of that," she said sarcastically. "Still, maybe you could remind James occasionally."

"I intent to!" he replied with a laugh.

Hermione just rolled her eyes.

"What were you saying about what you said earlier?"

"D'you know what he once made me do?" asked Harry, his mind still on the many injustices heaped upon him by his old Professor.

"Harry, can we please not mention him again, at least for this evening," she asked firmly. "Earlier?" she prompted.

"Hm? Oh, yes. You see, when I stood there ready to make my choice, it wasn't as clear-cut as I made out. My heart ached to go and find my parents, Sirius and Dumbledore. It still does. Even now I can feel the pull of that Archway."

"So, why didn't you go?"

"You, Hermione. I really couldn't bare the thought of a world, any world, without you. That must be difficult to believe sometimes, especially the way I've treated you sometimes."

"I'm not complaining, Harry."

"Will you be attending the Wizengamot more, now that they've set themselves up again?"

"No. I handed them my resignation as an advocate this evening."

"What? I wondered why you sneaked off. Are you sure this is what you want?"

"Unfortunately, as they pointed out, it's a job for life. They have, however, granted me a leave of absence while I pursue other interests."

"What will you do?"

"You were right when you said there were probably many children here who were relatives of Voldemort supporters. There are also many orphans here too. I've decided to learn how I can help them properly. You've shown me that these people are not just names and facts in a file."

"Won't you need funding if this is official?"

"David and I will be heading up a very small Ministry office. David will be Head of Department while I mostly stay here. It will mean a bit of a pay cut for us, though."

"Where did you get the money?"

"Neville set us up as a sub-division of his office."

"Does he fancy a further education sub-division too?" Harry asked hopefully. "No, you'll have grabbed all his spare cash. So, you're staying up here full time?"

"I'll be working here, yes."

"What does that involve?"

"That's a Ministry secret," she said with a laugh, but then her face grew serious.

"Harry?"

"Mm?"

"Um, are you pleased I'll be here more often?"

"Of course? Why?"

"My new work was only part of the reason why I'm staying up here."

Harry kissed her neck and repeated absently, "Only part."

"Yes. Oh, this is really too difficult. I just blurted it out when I found out. That's how Ginny and Luna know, of course. They promised not to tell anyone, though, even Neville and Ron. Mum just forced it out of me."

"Hermione?"

Hermione took a deep breath.

"I think I'm. Well, no. I am," she said quickly. "Are you pleased?" she asked nervously.

"Am I pleased about what?" he asked smiling, although he thought he could guess. There was only one reason that the Arch would have prevented her from coming closer; and that was new life.

"Are we going to want to change the date set for the wedding?"

They kissed and Harry realised that the lure of the Archway in the forest was growing less and less.

END

-

AN Well, that's it. Thanks for reading and reviewing.

I did begin an Epilogue but got rather long and I just might extend this into another story which could also pick up David Royce's earlier background. I'll see how it goes.