Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

Chapter 11 - The Bumper Book Of Pop-Up Spells, Junior Edition

Harry knocked on Professor McGonagall's office door, but assumed he hadn't been heard due to the raised voices coming from inside. He opened the door to find Alec shouting at the top of his voice.

"WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO?"

"Do you think we could we could possibly discuss this without shouting at each other?" McGonagall asked pointedly.

Alec looked like he wanted to shout a response right back but he seemed to regain a little of his composure.

"I'm sorry, Professor. I didn't mean to shout."

"That's quite alright. Please, Alec, take a seat."

"You know?" drawled Phineas Nigellus. "This one shouts even louder than Potter. Talk of the Devil."

"I can come back later," said Harry, making Alec start.

"No, please come in," said McGonagall, sounding tired. "Alec was just explaining to me why it was necessary for him to venture into the forest alone. We have yet to come to the explanation of how he came to cause unrest amongst our Centaur neighbours."

Harry sat down next to Alec and asked, "What happened, Alec? We met Firenze in the forest and he hinted that something had happened. I should add, Professor, that Firenze also assured me that I would be proud of the way Mr Brown conducted himself this evening. Most proud, were his actual words. Oh, he also sends his warmest regards to you, Professor."

Alec bowed his head, looking a little flushed.

"That was most kind of him," said McGonagall gently. "Well, it seems I must reconsider. I value Firenze's good opinion most highly."

"Alec, what did happen?" asked Harry.

Alec sighed deeply and looked up.

"I ran into Rullus again. He was with a few of his friends, but Mergus and Valiente weren't amongst them. Rullus was showing off and tried to get me to agree that Humans were inferior to Centaurs. I said that I might not be superior, but I certainly wasn't his inferior.

"Rullus didn't like my answer, so I said we could just agree to differ. I was in a hurry to find the plant, after all.

"Unfortunately, he liked that answer even less. He accused me of trying to trick him into agreeing something with a Human. I said okay, I could just agree to his agreement to disagree if I could just get on.

"He had to think about that for a while. I'm not sure he's the brightest of the Centaurs.

"Anyway, Rullus concluded that the only way to settle the matter was a duel. Of course, I would have to surrender my wand or it wouldn't be fair. He would keep his bow because it wasn't magical."

"How did you respond?" asked Harry.

"I just laughed at him," Alec admitted with an embarrassed smile. "That wasn't too smart, I know, but he was so full of himself. I knew that I mustn't perform magic on them, so I didn't have much of a problem giving up my wand if I had to.

"Then, I had this idea. I said it would only be fair if Rullus only had one weapon, but asked him to agree to just using his bow. He agreed at once, and so I said, Fine, I'll have your arrows, then."

Harry snorted.

"Rullus said he hadn't agreed to no arrows and I insisted he had. They spent so long arguing the point amongst themselves that Valiente turned up and then introduced me to Firenze. He asked what was going on, and I explained why I had come into the forest.

"I did say I was sorry, to Firenze that is, but he wouldn't hear my apology. He didn't intervene, either at that point so I went back to arguing with Rullus.

"Then, I remembered something you mentioned in class, Sir. I said that Centaurs were supposed to find all their answers in the movement of the stars and planets. I asked if the issue hadn't already been answered but no-one had bothered to read it.

"That really got them thinking. Unfortunately, Rullus had had quite enough at that point. He was about to draw his bow, when Firenze stepped between us and commanded me to leave the forest at once. He said I was to perform a chore as my penance before I left, though. I realised after he meant I was to collect the antidote plants.

"Mergus and Valiente helped me and explained how to prepare the medicine too. I don't know what happened with the other Centaurs, but when I left they were all just looking up into the sky."

Harry chuckled and said, "I thought Firenze looked pleased. I think you made a powerful friend tonight, Alec."

"I did?"

"Sure. Firenze may be an elder now, but he was once an outcast. He was banished because he agreed to teach here at Hogwarts. The other Centaurs accused him of becoming a servant to us humans. In fact, I'd long known that Firenze took the job to promote understanding between us.

"Alec, not only did you restrain yourself from performing magic, you also didn't act like you were superior. Smarter than Rullus, certainly, but not superior.

"Most of the Centaurs are too clever for their own good, in my view. By keeping your head and arguing with them, you showed that some humans can control themselves. You did well, Alec, and Firenze will remember that."

"You would also do well to remember, Alec," said Professor McGonagall, "that although Firenze may not have seemed to intervene, he undoubtedly saved your life tonight."

"I know, Professor," said Alec quietly. "I mean, I'll remember."

"Good. Now, it only remains for Professor Potter and myself to agree on your punishment. Madam Pomfrey has recommended leniency on this occasion."

"I don't agree," said Harry, turning back to Alec. "I took Alec into the forest to make him more aware of the dangers, not less. It was irresponsible to go in there alone, especially as we know there is someone unidentified in there. What if some of his friends decided to follow rather than get help? The Acromantula colony aren't too fussy who they eat these days."

Alec was looking down at his hands.

"Why didn't you come to one of us, Alec?"

"Both of you said Madam Pomfrey knew best. I was sure you'd insist Adeline was going to be fine."

"Maybe," agreed Harry, "but perhaps we should have been given the benefit of the doubt. By the way, Professor McGonagall was very reluctant not to lead the search party looking for you herself. She had her cloak on before we managed to dissuade her. I'd be surprised if she wouldn't have accompanied you herself, had you told her your true intentions."

"Well, I'd probably have sent you, Harry," she said with a wry smile. "You always seem to enjoy the more reckless adventures."

Alec looked up.

"Alec, you will indeed accompany me into the forest," said Professor McGonagall. "Clearly, Professor Potter's detention didn't leave much of an impression. Therefore, next Saturday morning we will pay our respects to Firenze and then see if we can't find something with more legs than a Unicorn. Fangs, too, if we're lucky. Maybe you'll actually earn a place in the Hospital Wing."

Harry had an almost overwhelming feeling of jealously. He remembered fondly the personal tuition she had given him after Dumbledore had died.

At the time, of course, he hadn't called it tuition. The description walking into a nest of giant spiders and starting a fight had seemed so much more accurate.

"You may return to your dormitory, Alec."

Alec got up and left, pausing to say goodnight when he got to the door.

"It doesn't get any easier, does it, Harry?"

Harry snorted and shook his head in agreement.

"Um, Professor? Why did you call me Professor Potter?"

"Well, Harry, you are a Professor now, you know?"

"I am?"

"Scary, isn't it?" said Phineas Nigellus.

"I thought I would have to write a paper, or something."

"Did you seriously think Mad-Eye wrote a paper?"

"I assumed he earned a dispensation with all his experience."

"There you go, then, Professor."

Harry hesitated, but he just had to ask.

"Um, Professor?"

"No, Harry, you can't come with us into the forest. I wouldn't allow Ron nor Hermione to accompany you before, did I? Besides, you were never supposed to actually enjoy our little outings."

Harry grinned at her, remembering the times they had spent in the forest. Professor McGonagall had always insisted that they practise advanced defensive magic well out of sight of any other students.

*

Harry opened the door to their apartment and smiled hearing the laughter inside. He entered and found Ron and Luna sitting on the floor opposite Hermione who was leaning back against the couch.

"We really ought to get a few more chairs, you know?"

"Well, I did offer them this one," said Hermione.

"Did you see the Library, Harry?" asked Ron, earning himself a sharp dig from Luna's elbow.

"I knew I'd forgotten something," Harry said in annoyance. "Is it bad?"

"It was bril-" began Ron, now laughing. "Ow!"

"What's brilliant about Carmen blasting the doors off?"

Ron looked like he wanted to answer but contented himself with rubbing his ribs and grinning widely.

Harry frowned and looked between Luna and Hermione, hoping for a better explanation.

"I take it this is something I ought not leave until the morning?"

"N- No, Harry," Hermione managed to say. "We thought it prudent to remove the note but I'm sure the door repairs can wait."

"Note? What note?"

"Um, perhaps now isn't the time, Harry."

"Accio Carmen's note!"

Nothing came towards him but Ron sniggered loudly.

"Here," said Hermione, holding up a folded piece of paper. Harry went over and sat down on the couch. He made to take the note, but Hermione pulled it away slightly and said, "You will remember this was meant in fun? She knew the note would be gone before anyone but us saw it."

Harry frowned and Hermione handed him the letter. He unfolded it and immediately assumed she had given him the wrong piece of paper.

It was written in his own handwriting.

"Irma,

Sorry for the damage done to the Library doors, babe. As you can see from the hoof prints, we had a special guest at the school tonight and couldn't let him go without seeing our magnificent Library, what with all the books 'n stuff.

Hugs and kisses,

Love From,

Harrry Potter (Pruf)

PS Oh, and can I have an extension to my loan of the Bumper Book of Pop-Up Spells, Junior Edition. Ta!"

Harry looked up at the three expectant faces before him.

"Harry," began Hermione in a tone that told him she thought he would react badly.

"It's okay," he said, touching the corner of the note with his wand and setting it on fire. "Carmen spent all day stuck under my invisibility cloak, so I can hardly be surprised that she made up for lost time."

Hermione sighed and stroked his hand.

*

Harry knocked on the door of the recently relocated offices of the Ministry's Beast, Being and Spirit Department.

He immediately heard groans and clanking chains coming from inside. Feeling curious, Harry opened the door.

Under a sign that read, "Enquiries," an harassed looking witch said threateningly, "If you don't stop making that racket I'll have your haunting licence revoked for another six months."

Harry looked around at the row of waiting room chairs.

A ghoul, wrapped from head to toe in bandages, stopped rattling his chains.

"Can I help you?"

"Um, yes," said Harry. "I've got an appointment to see Mr Bunting."

"Name?"

"Potter."

"Ah, yes. Eleven o'clock. I'm sorry, but Mr Bunting had to out on an emergency call. His assistant, Mr Muldoon might be able to help. Would you like to see him?"

"Yes, please."

"Actually, you won't be able to see him."

"So, why ask me then?"

"No, he'll see you but you won't see him. He is exercising his rights under the new International accord for spirits and is spending the next two weeks as an invisible entity."

"Oh, that's nice."

"Not really. It's quite creepy once the novelty wears off. You never know where he is, you see?" she added, looking around suspiciously.

"Right," said Harry. "Where do I go?"

"Interview Room Two, on the right. I'll send him along presently."

Harry thanked her and went along the corridor until he found three interview rooms with frosted glass doors. He entered number two and sat down at the small table to wait.

As he waited, Harry reflected on how glad he had been that Monday's excitement hadn't continued into the week. Carmen had given up wearing the invisibility cloak and had instead persuaded Professor McGonagall to rearrange the timetables. As a result the Third Year Hufflepuffs spend a lot more lessons with the Gryffindors.

Harry was pleased to see Mark at long last amongst a group of his peers. He knew that Carmen probably gave him little choice, but the others seemed to accept his presence without complaint.

Carmen had reported that Mark's time spent in the library was at a record low and he hadn't once visited the dungeons again. Even so, Harry hardly felt comforted by this news. Mark was much smarter than he had been given credit for and Harry was sure he suspected all the sudden attention was no coincidence.

Harry himself had continued to search all over the castle with no success. That failure had led him to the meeting room he now sat in.

After about ten minutes Harry began to tire of waiting. He was about to go and ask if Mr Muldoon had been delayed as well, when he spotted a wall clock above the door. The clock was running ten minutes faster than his own watch.

"Yes, that clock has always been fast," said a voice.

Harry jumped.

"Who's there?"

"My name is Mr Muldoon," said the voice.

"How long have you been here?"

"Since you arrived. I understand you wished for a consultation."

"Yes, but perhaps in future you might tell people you are present?"

"Well, Mr Bunting usually conducts the interviews. Would you prefer to wait for him?"

"No!" said Harry. "I just need some advice, that's all."

"How may we help?"

"I'm a teacher at Hogwarts and I suspect that a new ghost may be hiding in the castle."

"A new ghost? Do you have a name?"

"I could be wrong, but I suspect his name is Draco Malfoy. He died a few hours before Voldemort."

"Well, I can confirm that Mr Malfoy has not applied for permission to haunt Hogwarts. The castle is possibly the most prestigious haunting place in the country. People have waited centuries for an opening."

"Is it possible for me to force him to reveal himself?"

"Some form of exorcism?"

"I suppose."

"Well, no. Not unless the spirit is possessing an individual. Is he?"

"Um, no. Can you suggest anything else? I'm worried that Malfoy may be leading one of our students into danger."

"I'm afraid there is nothing we can help you with. Unless the other ghosts can force him out, there is little you can do but wait. However, there is one thing you might try. This is strictly off the record, you understand?"

"Yes, of course."

"Well, you may not be aware of it, but a surprising number of ghosts and spirits know little of death and even less about the rules and regulations appertaining to their condition. They are a little scared by the whole notion of death. Anyone prepared to be, shall we say, underhand, might be able to use their ignorance to their advantage."

"I see," said Harry carefully. "I mean, how terrible. Um, how exactly could that work?"

"Do you have a notebook, Mr Potter? Good. Now, take this down."

*

Harry was a little early when he arrived at Neville's office, so he waited for Neville to finish with his last appointment before lunch. They had agreed to act as if they were actually going to lunch, although Harry had been sorely tempted to get out of the lift at the Fourth Floor.

Instead, Harry had studied intently the blocked off lobby through the lift's grille gates as he passed. He thought it strange that the lift should continue to stop at a level no longer being used.

The blank wall a few feet from the grille gave no clue what was going on behind it, but didn't look particularly secure. Neville had speculated whether this was to encourage anyone curious enough to break in to use that entrance. Having seen the lobby for himself, Harry tended to agree.

They would find some other way to take a look inside.

Neville opened the door to the interview room across from the cramped offices and showed an elderly couple to the door, each clutching several forms and looking much happier than when they came in.

"If you have any more problems, just call me," Neville was saying kindly. "I know all the form filling can be confusing and often seems a waste of time, but sometimes it can help get things done."

Harry watched as Neville's Head of Department, Mr Rawbone glared at them from his desk at the back of the room. Neville had been criticised several times for the time and trouble he took to help people fill in the correct approvals to get things done around the Ministry.

However, Neville's wide family connections encompassed many of the most respected and influential people in the wizarding community. Although Neville never used this to his advantage, he often knew personally the great and good who visited the Department and inevitably more senior colleagues were overlooked in favour of Neville.

"Thank you so much, Neville, dear," the witch was saying in a shaky voice. "Please give Augusta our love, won't you? And dear, Ginny, too. You really must come and stay for a few days once the stable refurbishment is complete."

"Come along, dear," said her husband. "We really shouldn't take up any more of Neville's valuable time."

Harry had been rather glad of the filing cabinets he'd had to duck behind a little earlier. He had barely been able to suppress a laugh as Rawbone was imperiously dismissed after his clumsy attempted to ingratiate himself. Harry didn't know the woman who had gone directly to Neville, but he did recognise her husband as one of the wealthiest men in the country.

Arthur Weasley had once introduced him to Harry at a Charity Fundraising evening that Hermione had organised in the early days of his office, but he couldn't quite remember his name.

"Goodbye, Mr Potter," he called jovially with a wave across the open office area as they left.

Harry, a little surprised that he should remember his name, just managed to stick his head over the filing cabinets and wave back before they were gone.

Rawbone stood up the moment the door had closed, and Harry had a nasty suspicion he was about to insist Neville do some task that wouldn't leave time for him to take a lunch break.

However, before he could utter a word, the door was thrust open with such force that Neville had to steady himself against a coat stand.

Kingsley Shacklebolt stormed into the room.

"There you are, Harry! Get up to Hogsmeade as soon as you can. I'm sending everyone I can get hold of."

"Why? What's happened?"

"There's been a kidnapping. I don't have any details yet, but it was a young girl. Taken just outside Honeydukes Sweetshop. Well? What are you waiting for? MOVE!"

"I'm gone," Harry assured him.

"Longbottom, you go too. I'll send everyone I can and see you up there."

"Me?"

"You work for the Ministry, don't you? You can either help with the search or stand guard at the school while I get everyone mobilised. I'm placing more security around the school as a precaution."

"Of course," said Neville, grabbing his travelling cloak, but Kingsley was already gone.