Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

Chapter 15 - Hm, That Stupid Hat Was Probably Right Then

"I take it he's another case of yours?" asked Harry, his voice uncharacteristically cold.

"Y- Yes. Harry, what are you going to do? Will you arrest him, or?"

"Kill him? I might unless he tells us where Mark is."

"Harry, please."

"Listen, we don't have time to argue. For all we know, Mark may be stepping through that Arch as we speak."

"I can't allow you to kill in cold blood, Harry."

"Let me do my job, Hermione."

"You're an Auror, not an executioner."

"We can debate this later. Right now, I'm just a teacher who needs to find a missing student. Just remember who this is, okay? He may look different but we both know what he's been capable of."

"Well, yes," Hermione agreed. "You're not surprised to see him like this?"

"I'm surprised he managed to stay alive; but no, I knew his appearance like this was a possibility."

"Dumbledore told you?"

"It was in his scrolls. Hermione, we really need to find out if he knows anything about Mark. Just be careful, okay?"

"If he's the one hiding out here then you thought he couldn't do magic."

"We can't be sure, Hermione."

"Okay," she replied in a small voice.

"Ennervate!"

The youth's black eyes snapped open at once.

"You get one chance," said Harry, pointing his wand down at the boy's heart. "Show me where the kid is."

"Why should I, Potter? We both know you're going to kill me anyway."

"Maybe," agreed Harry. "But if he dies I'll make sure that you suffer first. I'll parade you through Hogsmeade if I have to. Once word gets out that you're alive, you'll find hiding much more difficult."

"A pitiful and empty threat, Potter."

"Come on, get to your feet," said Harry, offering his hand out. "You can think up some decent insults while we go. When did he pass by?"

"About an hour ago," replied the youth. "Granger, do please point your wand somewhere else."

Hermione lowered her wand wearing a look of confusion as the three of them set off again.

"You don't seem surprised to see me, Potter."

"I'm not. I knew you'd come back one day; if you lived."

"Quite. What are you staring at me for, Granger?"

"It's really you?"

"Evidently. Unfortunately Dumbledore decided to have one last laugh at my expense, as you can see."

Harry shoved him roughly on the shoulder making him stumble. He was surprisingly light and he fell much harder than Harry had intended.

"Dumbledore was the only friend you ever had here. He gave you his protection and his trust."

"If I had my wand," threatened the youth.

"I'll return it when we've got Mark," promised Harry. "Which way now?"

The youth glared maliciously at Harry for a moment, but then wordlessly turned and headed off in a new direction. They followed.

Hermione looked nervously between Harry and the boy, apparently unsure which one she needed to keep an eye on.

As they walked, Harry observed the boy. He seemed to trip up his own feet every few paces and constantly stared down at a point on the ground a few feet ahead.

Harry knew that he was keenly aware of his surroundings but like Mark seemed very uncomfortable being the centre of attention.

The boy tugged at the remnants of his cloak but succeeded only in pulling it off his other shoulder. It took several surreptitious corrections before he was satisfied enough to leave it alone but all the while he looked ahead.

"Have you been staying here in the forest for long?" asked Hermione.

"A few weeks."

"The Centaurs have been looking for you. You did well to evade them," she added kindly.

The boy's shoulders seemed to sag a little.

Harry knew that if he was indeed the subject of one of Hermione's files, then she presumably had reason to try and engage him in conversation.

For himself, Harry thought it would be best to keep quiet.

"Where were you before you came here?" Hermione asked interestedly.

"Abroad."

"Oh. What country?"

Harry saw the boy hesitate before answering.

"Just abroad."

"Well, I expect you had to move around quite a bit. That can't have been easy."

The boy shrugged, stumbled again and then froze as the sound of a distant crack reached them.

"It's probably just a falling branch," Harry said, although he couldn't be sure. He thought it was quite possible that the Centaurs were tracking them, but he didn't want the boy to stop guiding them to the arch and Mark.

The boy moved off again, a little more quickly.

Harry exchanged a silent look with Hermione that told him she had seen it too. The boy was scared and he didn't want to show it.

They hurried to close the gap again.

"Um, how long have you seen like this?"

"I'm not sure," replied the boy in a small voice. "Probably only weeks, but it seems much longer. I've lost track since it happened."

"I see," said Hermione. "Um, well it is fortunate we found you."

The boy turned and glowered at Harry.

"How far to the arch?" asked Harry firmly. "We should have got close by now."

"Maybe I'm not taking you there," replied the boy spitefully. "Maybe I'm taking you the long way round. If I'm lucky, you'll be just in time to watch him go in."

"Is that what you want?" demanded Harry, his anger rising now.

Hermione stepped between them.

"No! We're here to find Mark," she reasoned.

"Which way?"

"I don't remember, Potter."

"Well, there's not much point in keeping you around, is there?" said Harry, raising his wand.

"No!" cried Hermione with real fear in her voice now. Then she turned to look down at the boy.

"Please. We need your help."

"I don't remember," he replied, although Harry noted the difference in his tone.

Harry stepped past the two of them and walked on a few paces. Nothing about the forest was familiar, but he had a feeling the arch was somewhere close.

"Let's try this way," he said, walking ahead and not looking back.

Harry moved quickly, ignoring the conversation Hermione was now having with the boy. It seemed that now he was no longer so close, he was more willing to answer her.

*

Harry continued to push his way through the undergrowth but stopped. He knew the Arch was close even before he saw it. He doubled back quickly and grabbed Hermione's hand to pull her back away from the boy.

"Whatever happens," he whispered. "Just know that I love you."

"Harry?"

"The arch is close. Very close. If it comes to a choice between Mark's life and mine; it has to be Mark that lives. Just make sure he stays out of the fight," he added with a nod towards the boy.

Harry kissed her briefly and said, "You can't perform magic very close to it. You'll also feel a strong desire to just go and walk right through. If you start to feel anything then keep well back."

He hurried on before she could quiz him.

"Ah, I assume Potter's fortune is still intact. Eh, Granger?"

Harry made a mental note to go back and punch him, but ran forward into the clearing. The Death Arch was glowing bright white with an intensity that made it difficult to make out the ancient outline.

Harry saw Mark standing a few feet from the Arch, looking into it with a mesmerised look on his face.

"Oh!"

Harry turned back to see Hermione clutching her stomach and collapsing to the ground. The youth was standing next to her, completely at a loss what to do.

"Help her!" snarled Harry in a low voice before the pull of the arch drew him towards Mark again.

He stepped forward and seemed to cross an invisible divide. Just as the last time he had come here, the arch was now of dull stone. It was the space between the stone that was dazzling now.

The arch was quite unlike its brother at the Ministry in London. That arch was ancient looking whereas this one was quite intact and the intrados was smooth and unbroken.

He stared for a long moment at the veil, just as Mark was. It was like a window of sorts except pitch black. No light escaped at all and yet it seemed to sparkle.

Up close, he knew, the surface was like a rippling mirror. It only looked like a cloth veil from this distance. Sometimes it was perfectly flat and hard, and another moment it would have the consistency of thick vapour.

The whispering began again. He couldn't make out the words, and he wasn't even sure if the noises were just in his head, but once he began to listen the chattering would get louder and louder.

Harry longed to go closer and feel the warm dark light on his face; to hold his hand out and feel the nothingness behind the veil. They were so close.

He shook his head in an attempt to clear his thoughts. He was here for Mark; not himself.

Judging from the distance between Mark and the arch, Harry guessed that he had discovered the effect the arch had on magic. Perhaps he had discovered even more.

Harry couldn't shout out aloud for fear that Mark might run at the Arch. He was only a few feet away when Mark turned and saw Harry approaching.

Mark yelled and ran full pelt at the Arch.

Harry dived and just managed to grab an ankle. They both fell heavily and rolled to the side.

"Mark! No!"

"LET ME GO! I HAVE TO!"

Mark kicked and punched Harry everywhere he could in his efforts to free himself.

"Listen to me, Mark. You have to hear me out!"

"NO!" cried Mark, his voice breaking. There was a bang and Harry was thrown ten feet away as Mark jumped up and ran again at the Arch.

Mark jumped but was pulled back. Realising that limited magic was possible with much effort, Harry had impaired him, but a moment later he was free again.

Mark hurled hex after hex at Harry, who defended himself but did not strike back. All he wanted to do was move Mark a bit further away from the arch. Away from the lure.

Eventually, Mark tired and Harry advanced.

"Please, Mark. Let's talk about this."

"There's nothing to talk about," cried Mark, tears running down his face. He jumped sideways and made one more desperate effort.

This time Harry brought him down almost at the entrance to the Arch.

Mark reached out and his fingertips almost touched the darkness. Harry grabbed his sleeve and roughly tugged him back.

"Right!" yelled Harry above the screaming in his head. "I'm not letting you go. If you want to go in, you'll have to take me with you. I don't want to die, Mark; and neither do you."

"But, I have to bring them back."

"Who?" demanded Harry, trying to pull them both back. Unfortunately Mark was still struggling and Harry could feel the pull of the Arch now too.

Harry wanted nothing more at that very moment than to stand up and walk through the arch. He had to will himself to resist, knowing that Mark's life was something he wouldn't allow to be thrown away.

Harry grabbed Mark's collar with one hand and his wand arm with the other. He pulled again but Mark resisted.

"My parents! My Mum and Dad are in there. I know they are. I can hear them!"

"Their lives are over, Mark. You have to live your own life!"

"They shouldn't have died! They were murdered!"

"Lots of people were killed, Mark," said Harry, uncomfortably aware that he himself may have killed them right here in the forest.

"I can bring them back! They're just on the other side of the veil! Let me go to them! I can hear them!"

"No, Mark. They can't come back."

"HOW DO YOU KNOW?!"

"Because," said Harry. "Because I've been through that Arch. The only thing on the other side of that veil or whatever it is, is death, I promise you."

Mark stopped struggling a moment and they both lay panting on the ground. Then Mark twisted around to face him.

"You're lying."

"No, I'm not. Please, listen to me. You know where this arch is now, so even if I stop you today you could come back some other time. The only option I have is to persuade you not to want to go in there. At least give me that chance to try?"

Mark glared at him for a long moment, but then nodded.

Harry released him.

"Let's step away, can we? The chattering from the arch is too loud to talk properly and I need to know Hermione's okay. She probably deserves to hear this too."

They got up and walked back towards the other two. Mark hurriedly wiped his face before they got to within speaking distance.

Hermione looked close to tears but no longer in pain.

"Mark! Are you alright?"

"Mark has agreed to a short truce while we discuss this," said Harry, pointing his wand down and conjuring four comfortable armchairs that faced each other.

Harry then pointed his wand at the trees and his blindingly white stag patronus erupted from the end and flew off towards the castle.

He then collapsed into the nearest armchair and the others followed his lead.

"Hermione, why don't you do the introductions?"

She gave him a look that said, "Are you quite sure?"

Harry nodded, feeling a swelling on the side of his face where Mark had punched or kicked him.

"Um, right. This is Mark Stannard. He's a Third Year Hufflepuff. Mark, this is Severus Snape. He used to be one of our teachers when Harry and I were at school."

"Snape," repeated Mark. "The Snape?"

"The one and only," said Harry under his breath.

"But, you can't be any older than me," said Mark, although Snape did not respond.

"Yes, his recent appearance is a surprise to us too," observed Harry dryly. Snape looked little older than thirteen and to his consternation actually appeared to act like a thirteen year old. Of course, he told himself, this could be just another act.

It would be hard to kill a thirteen year old, even without Hermione to intervene on his behalf as she surely must.

"Mark," interrupted Hermione seriously. "I'm so sorry if I upset you earlier."

Mark looked back at the arch again, clearly reminded of their discussions.

"I said I would tell you about the Arch," said Harry, still rubbing his face. Mark's attention snapped back to him.

"On the night we defeated Voldemort, this forest was full of people fighting. A good number of them were students, too. I duelled with Voldemort in a clearing over in that direction."

He indicated with a thumb aimed behind him.

"Things got a little intense and most of his followers fled by scattering into the forest. It was just the two of us at the end.

"Voldemort always had a thing about Hogwarts. We always thought it was the prize he wanted as a reminder that he ruled the wizarding world; but he had another reason too.

"Anyway, we fought and both sustained injuries. He was a very powerful wizard, but when he realised he was mortal again, he began to falter. He was scared, you see? I had the upper hand, simply because I knew there were worse things to fear than death."

Harry looked up. Hermione and Snape were listening intently. Harry waved a hand in the air and the cardboard shoebox flashed into existence. It fell onto the ground at their feet.

"So. You got one too," muttered Snape.

Harry knew he was hardly being rational but the shoebox had become something very important to Harry. He owed so much to Dumbledore and having the box close to him seemed to ease his stress these days. It also reminded him of his high aspirations.

"Voldemort was hit by a curse that should have killed him," continued Harry. "He was badly hurt, but instead of fighting he ran. I chased after him as best I could, only he'd hit my leg and it was difficult to run.

"He was trying to come here, to this Arch."

"Oh, no, Harry," breathed Hermione.

"Yes. He entered and I followed. If his spirit or whatever was left of him had escaped, he could have come back again. I couldn't allow that; so I followed."

Harry swallowed and kept his eyes on the shoebox.

"I found myself in a very strange place. There was absolutely no sign of Voldemort, either. I wondered if he already knew his way around.

"The strangest thing was that I no longer had any aches and pains. I seemed to have a physical form, but somehow I knew I was dead. Well, no longer part of the living world, anyway. I couldn't find a pulse but I was still breathing.

"I hadn't a clue what to do, so I set off in search of Voldemort. I didn't bring my wand through with me, but I could still do a limited amount of magic. I knew Voldemort was probably trying out curses, so I practised as well as I went. That's how I think I got so good at wandless magic.

"The whole place was like a cave system. Everywhere was rock and I saw no plants or animals at all. The only light seemed to come from me, like I was a ghost except I was still solid.

"I stumbled on through the cave system for what seemed like hours. Then, for the first time, I saw light ahead. I hurried toward it and found it was a kind of window. I tried to get close to look out of it, but some kind of force held me back.

"Looking from a distance, I realised I was looking at an image of the real world. I've still no idea where that place was, but it didn't look like this country.

"So then I had a dilemma. Had Voldemort escaped through this window? Should I follow, and would I be able to get back again if I needed to?

"Something told me that I should wait. A few hours passed and when the sun set again in the window, I realised I had company.

"He just grinned at me and winked."

"Voldemort?"

"No, it was Sirius. He just said, Alright, Harry? like we'd never been parted. Um, Sirius Black was my Godfather," explained Harry for Mark's benefit. "He died by falling through the Death Arch in London. Anyway, I explained how I needed to find Voldemort and asked for his help.

"The strange thing is, he seemed to have been waiting for me. He hadn't seen Voldemort, but he had a good idea where he was going. I asked him how he knew, and he explained that time didn't move the same way as in the living world.

"Sirius took me to another part of the cave system. There was a whole row of mirrors or windows, each with a different view of the world. In fact, they each showed a different time, too."

"Time?"

"Sirius' favourite window was the last one along the row. It showed a garden. When I looked through, there was a small boy playing on a blanket on the grass. His Mum and Dad were there too."

"Godric's Hollow?" asked Hermione.

Harry nodded, his throat feeling tight. He swallowed and cleared his throat.

"Sirius told me the window repeated the same day, over and over. It was the day my parents were murdered, of course. I realised that Voldemort intended to stop himself going to the house. If only he could prevent himself from attacking me, he would never have marked me. I would never have fought him and, well, you can guess the rest.

"With Sirius' help, I managed to get through the window. I knew from our experience with the Time Turner that I mustn't be seen. That wasn't the hardest thing, though."

"Oh, Harry," breathed Hermione.

"That's right. I knew that I would have to let Voldemort kill my parents. If anything changed, then there was a risk that Voldemort would never be challenged.

"I waited hours for him to appear, but it was only after my Dad was dead that the older Voldemort attempted to scare his younger self off. I caught up with him and attacked him before he could shout a warning. We fought, but I think the younger Voldemort must have seen us. That's how he knew to come through the window at all; he'd realised it was himself that he'd seen that night.

"Anyway, Voldemort almost beat me again. Neither of us had any real strength left and he managed to get the younger Voldemort to halt on the path by calling out."

"What happened?"

"The younger Voldemort just sent a killing curse into the bushes. Maybe he thought it was my Dad again, but he just continued into the house afterwards. He never bothered to go back and check who it was he had killed."

"He killed himself?"

"Not entirely. Both Voldemort and myself were out of our own times and had just arrived from the land of the dead. I don't think either of us could have been killed again that way.

"No. I tried to kill him with my bare hands, except he just wouldn't die. I suppose it was because he was already dead. It was almost morning before the window dragged us both back. I think it was the moment the window returned to the morning view of me playing in the garden.

"Sirius wasn't there this time, though. It was just Voldemort and me, in our very own private hell. For what seemed days we kept attacking each other. He kept trying to escape through another window, although the Godric's Hollow window was gone now.

"Fortunately, I was now as un-dead as he was. I honestly thought we would be there for an eternity, but one day we both stumbled into a new cave. Right there in the middle was a Death Arch. That Death Arch over there, in fact.

"Voldemort knew an opportunity when he saw it and tried to dive through. He stopped the moment he saw my mother standing in front of it.

"Come, Tom, she said. It's time. Death will wait no longer.

"Voldemort was terrified. Suddenly I knew that the thing to do was to force him through the arch. As we struggled, more and more of his victims came out of the arch. They just stood there, watching."

Harry wiped his face.

"I managed to get him back at the arch again. The cave was both full with ghosts but at the same time empty.

"At times it was as if only my Mum and I remained in the cave. She smiled at me and turned towards the arch and I made to follow but she stopped.

"When she turned around, she was holding a baby in her arms. It was me; a ghost me right there in her arms.

"I heard her voice then, but her lips didn't seem to move at all. She quoted the Prophecy to me and then held the baby out to me. I took him, and he was solid. He was suddenly real.

"Then she repeated, and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

"I had no idea what she was saying. Then I had this horrible thought. What if she was saying I had to kill this baby?

"Then the baby started struggling, and I realised Voldemort was cowering away from him, or me. I carried him over and the baby just reached out and touched him, right on the forehead. Voldemort screamed in agony and I could see there was a scar burning on his forehead. It was just like mine.

"Then the ghosts came forward and started dragging him towards the arch. I can still hear the screaming sometimes."

Harry paused, still deep in thought.

"What happened then?" asked Hermione is a tiny voice.

"My Mum and Dad were the last to leave. They just waved and went through leaving me with, um, baby me. Then, things got a little strange.

"I remember the baby trying to put his finger up my nose," said Harry, making Snape snort. "I was wondering what to do next, when he tried again but then reached up and touched my scar. We were tipped into the arch and we were both back in Godric's Hollow. It was the next morning and the house had been destroyed.

"I just had to go and see. I knew Hagrid would be there soon, as well as Sirius. I found my Mum's body at the back of the house, only she wasn't alone. It a bit of a shock at first, seeing me lying there lifeless."

Hermione make a small noise and covered her mouth with her hand.

"I made to put the baby down in the cot where Hagrid would find me, only he vanished and the baby next to my Mum screamed. I picked myself up and put him in the cot with a warm blanket.

"I stayed with him until I heard Hagrid arrive and then left through a rear window as quietly as I could. As I climbed out, Sirius arrived on his motorbike. He called out, thinking I was my Dad.

"A moment later, I was pulled back to the cave again.

"All the windows were gone now except one that stood directly opposite from the arch. I could see this forest through it and I knew what day it was.

"I was being given a choice, I suppose. Life or who-knows-what. I chose life and stepped through the window, except I actually found myself lying in front of that arch over there and my wand was beside me."

Harry turned to Mark and said seriously, "It isn't the afterlife, Mark. It's just a cave where the balance between life and death gets maintained."

"I still don't understand," said Hermione.

"Voldemort intended to create a Horcrux from my death. He did exactly that except my mother had made him promise to spare me in exchange for her life. He broke that promise, and the ancient magic she invoked turned against him. He couldn't actually die because he'd split his soul. However, the magic wasn't about to let him get away with it.

"Maybe the magic knew it would have to wait a few years. The Horcrux he inadvertently created was me, of course.

"But you said the baby was-" she said, but was unable to complete the sentence. "You died?"

"Yes, but only my mortal body; not my soul. It was my death which invoked the whole thing. If Voldemort hadn't split his soul, he would have died in attacking me. I would have survived as a child, but because he didn't die, neither could I. The magic wouldn't allow it. If Voldemort had defied nature to live; then so must I.

"As it is, my mother's love saved me. My body may have perished, but she kept me safe until the moment she handed me over.

"Voldemort never had an opportunity to place part of his soul actually in me, even though I was his Horcrux. I still don't know if Dumbledore knew or not, though. He never said. Maybe he just wasn't sure."

They were quiet for a long moment.

Harry turned to Mark and said, "You haven't asked what a Horcrux is, Mark?"

"I already know what a Horcrux is," he replied quietly. "I researched making one. I wondered if that would enable me to return back out of the arch."

Harry nodded, pleased that Mark was being honest.

"So," said Hermione slowly. "Where does that leave us, Harry. I mean, what does the future hold for you?"

"Who knows? I've a strong desire to walk through there again, I must admit. I can hear them calling me. I can resist for now, but who knows how I'll feel in the future."

"Let's just destroy the horrid thing," said Hermione.

"Well, no. The magic may need it again. Besides, I promised I wouldn't stop Mark going through if he really wanted to."

Mark frowned and Hermione blanched.

"I wanted to find them again so badly," he said. "If I couldn't get them out, I was sure the other side would be better for me."

"Life's not so bad, is it?" asked Harry. "You've got friends who'd care very much if you went; even if you haven't taken the trouble to realise it."

"Will you tell Carmen to stop following me around everywhere now?"

"She never listens to me," Harry retorted with a small smile. "No, I'm afraid you're going to have to tell her everything about yourself and take your chances like everyone else."

"The Death Eaters did things to her parents, didn't they? She'll hate me."

"No. Carmen won't blame you for that. In fact, she herself doesn't know everything that they had to endure. I do think she deserves your trust, though."

"Why?"

"You'll have to get that from her. I guessed that you deliberately let her see your notebook, knowing she'd tell me. Was I right?"

Mark nodded.

"You'd seen the same thing before, Sir, but I don't think you realised what it was."

Harry frowned and remembered an encounter in the Great Hall one Sunday morning.

"I didn't pay your books any attention at all," he admitted. "Maybe you should have stayed a little longer; or made sure I was awake first."

"I got cold feet and decided to go."

"Hm, that stupid hat was probably right then," mused Harry. "So, why didn't you slip away while we were distracted?"

"I couldn't. You might have come after me when Alec was in trouble. I couldn't take that chance. It was the same when Natasha went missing, only I only thought about that after. No-one was thinking clearly when that happened."

"Is that the only reason?"

"Um, no. I was having second thoughts. I really wasn't sure if I wanted to even find the arch just then. I had planned to make sure you would intercept me, only I kind of panicked earlier. I was sure I was going to be expelled."

Harry looked over to Hermione who was looking between them with a very calculating expression on her face but she didn't pass comment.

Harry then turned to Snape.

His smile faded.

-

AN: Just one more Chapter to go!