Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

Chapter 9 - You Need Permission To Do That Kind Of Thing

At eight o'clock precisely, Hermione escorted Harry into Professor McGonagall's office. A large round breakfast table had been placed beside the window. Harry noted wryly that Julia had already arrived; no doubt eager to begin his interrogation.

"Ah, good morning," said Professor McGonagall. "Please come and join us."

Harry didn't make much of an effort to join in as they exchanged pleasantries, and instead waited patiently for Professor McGonagall to bring the subject round to the events of the previous night.

"I had a most unusual request yesterday morning, Harry," she began.

"Oh, yes?"

"Carmen asked me to play a small part in a certain ongoing subterfuge. She said she would have asked you but you were away and didn't want to disturb you."

"What did she want?"

"She asked that I give her a detention. It had to be this evening from eight o'clock. She was most insistent upon the date and time."

"Just for herself?"

"No. Mark Stannard had to receive the same punishment. She was considerate enough to provide me with a reason for punishing them too, in the form of a small tornado that swept through the Great Hall."

"Carmen did that?" asked Julia. "I saw all the commotion, but I didn't really see how it started."

"It was masterfully done," said McGonagall with a smile. "She went over to collect Mark so that they could continue helping Mr Filch. As Mark got up, Carmen loudly accused him of treading on her foot. She then attempted to Jinx him but Mark merely dodged her. The tornado was the result of Mark deflecting Carmen's second strike. No-one was hurt, although the few students that were present that early ended up covered with an assortment of breakfast foods."

"Carmen doesn't do things by half, does she?" said Harry. "I'm sorry for all the trouble, Professor."

"I take it that Carmen and Mark's detention with Mr Filch was no coincidence?"

"No, Professor. I was hoping she could discover what Mark is really up to, but I did half hope that Carmen would involve him in some of her other schemes too."

"Poor, boy," observed Julia. "He's so quiet and she's so manipulative. Did you see the look of anguish on his face as Carmen limped up to see you, Headmistress? She must have been pretending the whole time!"

"I did. She was most convincing."

"What do you suppose Carmen wanted Mark to be distracted from?" asked Hermione.

"Yes, I've been wondering that too," said Professor McGonagall. "Clearly she believed he would make some use of his free time after lessons."

"She must suspect what he's up to; either that or she wants revenge on me," said Harry.

"Possibly both," said Hermione with a smile.

"Well, time will tell. Now, Harry, I'd like to discuss last night, if we may," said Professor McGonagall.

Harry nodded and put down his coffee cup.

"First of all, I'd like us all to agree not to discuss what happened outside of the four of us."

Harry frowned slightly as Julia and Hermione nodded their agreement to this. He had the feeling that the three of them had already discussed the matter last night.

"Secondly, I've long suspected that Albus may have given you access to privileged information about certain Hogwarts wards. I'd like to think I'd have done the same thing, in his place. However, I think you should know, Harry, that we witnessed something much deeper than passwords or simple incantations to set aside a security ward."

Harry said nothing but continued to stare down at his plate.

"As head teacher, I now have access to all the wards and protections of my office," she continued. "Even so, I couldn't begin to think how I'd perform those structural changes."

"I even had a go at moving some of the new stonework on my way up here this morning," added Julia. "I found that the new stonework is just as well protected as the old."

"That's because the old wards were never removed," said Harry quietly. "The trick isn't to remove them, but to simply get their co-operation to a change."

"But how did you learn to perform such permanent transfigurations?" pushed Julia. "I'd be prepared to bet that stonework that permanent wasn't transfigured like that since the Founders laid the foundations."

"Not quite. The Charms wing is a few centuries after the Founders," said Harry. "But, I'm really not that good at transfiguration. It is true, for reasons that I can't go into, that I'm quite good at temporary stonework these days. However, the only reason it is permanent is that the wards, or rather the magical legacy in the castle stonework, was content with the changes."

"This was part of the tuition Albus gave you in your Sixth Year?" asked McGonagall.

"No," said Harry sadly. "He did leave me something to help me. It didn't arrive until months after his death, but it did include some information about the wards protecting the castle and the grounds.

"He left strict restrictions on how I would be permitted to use the information he gave me, but at the time they were only of limited use. I think he knew I wouldn't have been powerful enough because he left simpler access points that I could use."

"There are weak points?"

"No, not exactly," said Harry. "There are about a dozen specific locations that were charmed to recognise me and allow me to pass. Adjacent to those locations are extra protections he told me how to get through. That way, even if I were acting under duress, I'd have some control."

"I see," said Professor McGonagall. "So, what about the protections within the castle?"

"I've only recently been able to interact with the castle wards. I think staying here again has helped with that."

"So, why haven't you rearranged you apartments, Harry?"

Harry looked up and smiled at her.

"You asked me not to, Professor."

Professor McGonagall just rolled her eyes and continued.

"Well, we really can't avoid speaking to you about the other issue. I have noticed that lately you are increasingly performing magic without a wand, Harry."

"Um, maybe," agreed Harry. "Sometimes it is necessary, as I hinted at last night. If I had attempted to move the Wall of Wonders with my wand, it would have collapsed. I'm sure of it."

"Harry, this really isn't the political climate to be seen doing that kind of magic," said Hermione.

Harry was momentarily stunned.

"Couldn't you pretend to be using your wand?" suggested Julia.

"Just a moment," said Harry, finding his voice. "What were all those laws that you and Arthur pushed through all about, Hermione? I'll remind you, shall I? Everything, as far as I am concerned, was about the elimination of prejudice and inequality. House elves, Centaurs, Goblins and Humans were given the right to be judged upon their actions. People's rights should not depend simply upon who they are; or because of what people think they are.

"If I hit someone over the head, it should not matter whether I used a rock or a club; or if I threw it or levitated it. If I curse someone, it shouldn't matter whether I used a wand or not."

"I agree, Harry," said Hermione, placing a placatory hand on his forearm.

"You must have seen the newspaper articles," said Professor McGonagall. "For weeks now the Prophet has been running scare stories and the Ministry has been making more and more promises to act if there is enough public concern."

"I think we are seeing the result of a very carefully planned campaign," said Hermione. "Neville has warned you of some of the rumours going around the Ministry."

"The Aurors and the Wizengamot wouldn't allow anything like that to happen," said Harry. "In fact, the Magical Law Enforcement department is even more strict when it comes to defending rights."

"Think about it, Harry. The very people you are relying on to defend the status quo are precisely those who would be targeted. The wandless magic thing is probably just an excuse to get rid of anyone powerful enough to intervene."

"Well, exactly. Can you really see them staying put in Azkaban?"

"Perhaps the Ministry is making other plans," suggested Julia. "If I wanted to imprison the country's most powerful witches and wizards, I would build a new prison. Azkaban was only suited to the Dementors, after all."

"What does Kingsley say about all this?" asked Harry.

"As a matter of fact, he raised the subject with me," said Professor McGonagall. "I'm afraid I have asked him to keep his head down and not ask too many questions. If the worst does happen, I'd like him in a strong position within the new regime. The Order would appreciate it if you didn't compromise him, Harry."

"Oh. I'd probably better not go and annoy him, then. I was planning on dropping by to see him this Thursday, if it was okay with you, Professor."

"Yes, Neville has already made contact with Kingsley. I suspect that the three of you may well meet up at some point; by sheer coincidence, of course."

Harry smiled at her and nodded.

"Please don't get yourself arrested, Harry," pleaded Hermione.

*

"Mark, could I have a quick word?" asked Harry, raising his voice so he could be heard over the din of students making their way out of his classroom.

Mark hoisted his bag over his shoulder and slowly made his way to the front of the class where Harry was stacking their homework essays.

"What happened with your hands?" Harry asked with concern, looking at the now dirty bandages that both of his hands were wrapped in.

"Oh, nothing," said Mark. "I got a few blisters from polishing that armour and I got burnt when one of the charms in the display got through the outer wall. Madam Pomfrey says I have to wear the bandages until this evening, but it doesn't hurt."

"How come you got involved with the Wall of Wonders anyway?"

"I was trying to get away from Carmen yesterday. I ducked into the Great Hall but got roped in before I could get away again."

Harry smiled.

"By the way, congratulations on being one of only three students to have passed all of the challenges. I'm impressed."

"Well, I was a little motivated. Carmen was waiting by the exit and I'm sure she was going to get her friend to help get me. She was in a bad mood all day yesterday after I accidentally stood on her foot."

Harry snorted despite himself.

"Um, Sir? Professor McGonagall gave us both detention with you this evening. Do you think I could do it another night? I know you do further education classes on Mondays and I could really use the time to catch up on some homework."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea, Mark. Professor McGonagall wouldn't appreciate it if she thought she was being undermined. Besides, she often pops in to see how the evening classes are going. She will probably expect you to be there."

"How about if I did two detentions later on?" asked Mark hopefully.

"No, come along at eight as planned and I'll see if you can't get away early."

Mark couldn't hide his disappointment.

"Okay, Sir."

There was a knock on the open door and Natasha came in.

"I've a note for you, Sir," she said brightly as she and Mark passed.

"Thanks, Natasha. You seem to be in a good mood?"

"Yes, I suppose I am. I got an owl from Uncle David this morning. They are back in the country and hopes to visit before he starts back at work."

"That's nice."

"Yes. Professor McGonagall said I could meet them in Hogsmeade for a couple of hours. I hope she won't forget she said it would be okay, only it isn't an official Hogsmeade weekend."

"I'm sure she won't have forgotten," said Harry as he opened the sealed scroll and read the message.

"Natasha, has Carmen been skipping classes?"

"Not precisely, Sir, no."

"According to this note, she was missing from both of her morning lessons."

"Well, actually, she decided to attend some different classes his morning. I'm surprised you didn't know already, actually."

*

"Will you keep your voice down!" whispered Carmen's disembodied voice from under the invisibility cloak.

"Carmen, you can't just decide to join other peoples classes," continued Harry. "You need permission to do that kind of thing. I suppose it was you who kept re-arranging the letters on my chalkboard this morning?"

"Sounds like something Peeves would do, actually."

"No, he would have made more creative use of all those Fs. Besides, he generally makes more of an effort to make the limericks actually rhyme."

"Well, you should use more words ending with ing."

"Oh, and thanks for correcting my dates. I always mix up 1659 and 1569."

"No problem."

Beside him, Hermione was chuckling quietly, listening to them argue while they ate lunch.

"I'm starving! Pass me a roll or something, will you?"

Hermione obliged as Harry continued to get some answers out of Carmen.

"Okay, let's start again. How did you get hold of my Dad's old invisibility cloak and why are you wearing it right now?"

"Hermione lent it to me and I didn't think students generally had lunch at the teacher's table. I needed to brief you and keep an eye on Mark at the same time. If he goes early, I'll need to follow, okay?"

"I got the impression he was simply avoiding you, Carmen."

"Do you want to know what he's up to or not?" spat Carmen irritably.

"Yes. What did you find out?"

"Well, mainly that he's quite good at knowing when he's being followed or watched and knows how to defend himself. I pretended that I was afraid he would skip off Filch's detention and leave me to do it all, so I had an excuse to stick with him in the library.

"He's got this notebook that he writes everything down, but it's charmed to go blank."

"Yes, I knew that," said Harry quietly.

"I tried to borrow an blank page to draw on and he became very defensive. Anyway, I managed to get a very quick look at an open page though. It looked like a copy from a book that just has to be from the Restricted Section. I've no idea how he got access. Maybe he forged a permission slip or something."

"What was it about?"

"The Death Arch."

Hermione and Harry both turned to each other with identical looks of concern. They then looked over to the Hufflepuff table where Mark Stannard was eating quietly. Outwardly, he looked relaxed but his eyes were constantly alert, presumably for Carmen's presence.

It struck Harry then that Mark may never have actually eaten in the Great Hall when so many of his peers were present before that day, often preferring to take meals in the Hufflepuff common room. Winky had admitted to him that the house elves sometimes left food parcels for him, although he'd never asked them to.

"I tried revealing the rest of the text but I was afraid he might tell that I'd been looking. He's used a powerful charm and I might have risked burning the paper."

"No, you did right. Anything else?"

"Yes. Every free moment he has is spent down in the dungeons. He was looking for something and I managed to get a look at the map he was using last night."

"Map?"

"Yes, I think he was looking for another hidden arch here at Hogwarts."

Harry shuddered.

"Was looking?"

"Well, early this morning I caught up with him again. He was talking to someone that I didn't see properly. I'm fairly sure it was a ghost. Anyway, they told him not to bother looking in the castle. He said the arch he was looking for was located in the Forest."

Harry swore under his breath.

"There really is a second Death Arch?" asked Hermione.

Harry nodded seriously.

"Carmen, were you afraid Mark would go off into the forest tonight?"

"Yes!"

"Okay," said Harry urgently. "Hermione, can you stay and help?"

"Of course," she replied at once.

"Thanks. Carmen, you are excused lessons for the rest of the day. I'll square it with Professor McGonagall, but you are to stick with Mark until our detention this evening. If he goes anywhere near the forest, stun him and call for help."

"Okay, if you're letting me off homework too."

"No, of course I'm not."

Harry ignored Carmen's loud tutting noise.

"Hermione, I need to know any upcoming dates that have magical significance. I thought the arch was dormant and hidden for most of the year, but on some dates it becomes active. Well, that's assuming it behaves the same as the London arch. If we knew the days Mark would be at particular risk, we might have an advantage."

"Mark may not know that, though," Hermione pointed out.

"Yes, surely he'll be in as much danger from the Forest itself?" added Carmen.

"I'd still feel happier knowing whatever we can to find out about that arch. It's true that just because it isn't active, it doesn't mean the arch isn't dangerous. It's just that when it is active, it can sort of draw you in."

Harry was lost in thought for a moment.

"What will you do?" asked Hermione. "Harry?"

"I'm going to try and find out who told Mark that the arch was in the Forbidden Forest."

"Should we try to tell the Centaurs? Perhaps they could guard the arch?"

"No, that isn't a good idea right now. If Mark does manage to go in there on his own I wouldn't want a herd of Centaurs waiting for him. I'm not even sure I'd want Firenze to know."

At that moment Mark rose from the table and made his way out of the hall. Harry heard Carmen scramble after him under the cloak.

"Who could have told him about this arch?" asked Hermione.

"Well, I can count the people that I know could have told Mark on three fingers. Me, Voldemort and Draco Malfoy. Before today, I was sure no-one else knew."

"Draco? You think he may have returned as a ghost?"

"It must be possible. Our one break is that Malfoy never knew the exact location of the arch, at least while he was alive. If it is him, I just hope he couldn't have told Mark where it is."

"Do you know where it is?" asked Hermione tentatively.

"I vaguely remember, yes," said Harry. "I had hoped to never see the damn thing again."