Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

Chapter 14 - The Spell Part Is A Lie, Harry

Harry opened his eyes. He guessed it was late morning but realised that he wasn't entirely sure what day it was.

He stretched a little, wondering if he could untangle himself from Hermione without waking her.

"I thought you wanted to talk, Harry."

Harry snorted and Hermione pulled herself up, somehow wrapping herself even tighter around him.

"At least you seem a little less tense this morning," she observed, kissing him. "So, you going to tell me the truth about this Arch?"

"I shouldn't have said anything," said Harry. "I was wrong to scare you like that."

Hermione groaned.

"Harry, I want to help you. Why are you keeping this from me?"

"Because, I'm scared," he admitted, his own honesty shocking him a little. "I'm afraid that the spell will be broken."

"Spell? What spell?"

"I meant spell in the Muggle sense," said Harry, stroking her back. "When I think about it, my life now is the best it's ever been. You - Hogwarts - Teaching. Nothing could be better, and I don't deserve any of it."

"The spell part is a lie, Harry."

Harry decided to ignore this accusation for the moment.

"Dumbledore convinced me that I wasn't bound by the Prophecy; that only Voldemort was. I was free to decide whether or not to face him. Of course, in the end the Prophecy did appear to come true."

Hermione tensed slightly as she listened. Harry was sure she was fighting not to argue with him.

"Voldemort defied the laws of nature to cling onto life. Well, cling onto something that wasn't death, anyway. I suppose it was really nature that defeated him, in the end. The balance of life had to be restored, and he paid for what he did."

"What are you saying, Harry?"

"When I walked away, after it was over, I knew that really I shouldn't have survived. It wasn't luck that helped me, it was love. It protected me all my growing life and it protected me then, when I wanted to return so badly.

"The thing is, by coming back I think I broke the laws of nature, just like Vol-"

"Don't say that Harry!" said Hermione angrily, pushing herself up. "You're nothing like Voldemort! Nothing!"

"All I'm saying is," said Harry gently. "The books always needed to be balanced one day. Death will come to me, no matter what."

Hermione wiped her face and lay back down against him.

"I'm not giving you up, not yet anyway. Death can just stay away until I've had you a few decades longer."

Harry smiled sadly, but didn't argue.

He had been going to tell her about the burning effect, but he didn't think she could cope just then.

Harry was sure she would be wondering if his flaming had any relation to the burning of a Phoenix. He had tried to describe to her so often the feeling of strength he had whenever he had heard Fawkes' singing.

It could wait, he decided.

"Right," said Hermione, her voice sounding stronger. "Just for upsetting me, I'm going to tell you why you should have known Carmen couldn't have been killed last night."

"Um, how?"

"Harry, we met her older self, remember? How could she have died and still come back to say Hi as a grown woman? That's without considering all the Prophecies made about her."

"But, maybe that wasn't our Carmen after all!" he replied, laughing. In truth, he'd never fully associated the beautiful time travelling witch as being the Carmen they knew.

"Um, Hermione, would you do me a small favour?"

"Anything, Harry."

"Do you think you could bathe with your clothes on, from now on?"

*

Harry walked down to the lake where a small group of students had gathered to greet Valiente. A few yards away, three large circular targets on easels had been put up and dozens of spent arrows were sticking in the ground at odd angles.

So far, it looked like only Valiente had actually managed to hit any of the targets at all.

Sitting off behind them, giggling at the antics of the others as Valiente vainly attempted to show them what to do, was Natasha. This was her first full day back and tonight there would be a feast to celebrate her safe return.

Harry was pleased to hear Valiente insist that the students stay behind a rope line while people were shooting arrows. Although Valiente was rather quiet and always polite, especially compared to Carmen, Harry felt he was rapidly gaining the respect of the others.

"Hi," said Harry as he drew level with Natasha. "Mind if I join you for a moment?"

"Sure," replied Natasha as a wild shot from Carmen almost got to the centre of the lake.

"Hermione said you'd be out here. She's got another meeting with Professor McGonagall."

"She's spending quite a lot of time here, isn't she, Sir?"

"I'm not complaining," said Harry with a smile. "Actually, I think most of her case files relate to Hogwarts these days. They're confidential, of course," he added quickly. "I've no idea what her cases are or who they relate to."

"Well, it's no secret that I'm in her files now," said Natasha miserably. "Mr Shacklebolt said the Wizengamot agreed not to pursue anything against me provided I agreed to Hermione monitoring what I get up to in school."

"You'll be fine," Harry assured her. "They only want what's best for you. Believe me, this kind of trauma can come back and affect you years from when it happened. You're a victim in all this, not a potential criminal."

"I suppose."

"From what it said in the papers, the Wizengamot is finally exerting itself. Hemlock has been removed from office. They'll arrest him if they can find him. I wish I could say I was confident this kind of thing won't happen again. There were an awful lot of discarded robes that no-one is owning up to wearing and very few of his followers are in custody."

"Won't there be records?"

"Well, just between us," Harry said conspiratorially, "Professor McGonagall and Kingsley took a shortcut trying to get to you before we did. They blasted their way through what now appears to be the record store. They did a proper job, too. There's no chance of repairing the parchment either."

Carmen shrieked with laughter as her latest effort got no further than ten feet from her. Valiente gently appealed for her to concentrate on shooting her next arrow.

"Will you get your classrooms now?" asked Natasha.

"Nope. The Ministry says they haven't got any cash left for Further Education. Hemlock blew the lot on remodelling the Fourth Floor and some stylish black robes."

They sat quietly for a moment while Carmen tried to apologise to the Giant Squid for almost hitting it with another arrow.

"I'm sorry I kept it from you," said Natasha, turning to him. "Uncle David always said how dangerous it was to tell anyone."

"I understand."

"I was absolutely dreading what Kathryn would say. It turns out she's married into an entire family of dangerous-"

Natasha paused trying to think of a bad enough description, but Harry finished her sentence for her.

"Friends, as far as I'm concerned. Kathryn was simply devastated when you were taken and I can't see her divorcing David because of anything you might be or do."

Natasha breathed deeply and nodded, her cheeks a little pink.

"Uncle David did always say I could trust you, though. I suppose I didn't want to take the risk."

"Sure. But now that I do know, we ought to discuss how you're going to develop your skills. If you want to, that is."

"You'll teach me?"

"If it's what you want. I can only show you so much, and we'll need to find a specialist at some point. Actually, the only person I know who comes close to the level you'll eventually need is David; but there may be others."

Harry smiled and added, "Carmen won't let you take more advanced classes than her, of course. We probably shouldn't tell David that just yet, though."

"But, what will Hermione say? Surely she'll stop you in case I hurt someone again."

"Professor McGonagall has the last word about what does and does not get taught around here, Natasha. Personally, I think you need to learn to exert as much self control as you can. I know how much self-control you've already got, but there may be times when it isn't appropriate to just let go."

Natasha shook her head slowly, clearly remembering what had happened.

"I think you should talk the whole thing over with David and Professor McGonagall before deciding anything."

"I will. Thanks, Professor."

"So, where are Kathryn and David? I expected to you be with them."

"Uncle David went to the Ministry for something and Kathryn wanted to go with him. They promised to be back tonight for the feast, though."

A small First Year ran past them and came to a halt just behind the group of archers. He seemed to be looking for someone. Carmen stepped towards him and asked what he wanted and Harry was a little relieved to see that she wasn't armed this time.

"Mark, you've a message!" she yelled.

An embarrassed looking Mark came forward and took the small note. He read it as the First Year ran off back towards the greenhouses. Carmen read the note over his shoulder, and Harry hoped it wasn't anything too private.

Mark grabbed his bag and headed straight for the castle, away from where Natasha and Harry were. He hadn't said anything to the others at all.

Carmen grabbed her own bag and ran after him.

"Got to go! Bye!" she shouted to the group.

Harry only caught part of what Mark said once Carmen caught him up.

"The note only said for me to go. Not you."

Carmen wasn't to be put off that easily, of course, and followed him all the way up to the castle entrance.

"She's quite determined to bring him out of his shell," observed Natasha. "I think she quite likes him."

Harry raised his eyebrows, wondering if the terrors of Carmen's attentions would be enough to distract Mark from the Arch. He had decided that the time had finally come for him to have a talk with Mark.

If Professor McGonagall agreed, he had decided to do it tomorrow. He had already tentatively discussed it with her but had promised to speak to her again once he had decided exactly what he was going to say.

Harry had pondered for a long time whether he should actually take Mark into the forest and show him the Arch.

He had decided against this, however. Apart from complications the Centaurs might present, there was still the question of the intruder resident in the forest. Although these were factors, the main reason was the Arch itself.

Harry wasn't at all sure that he could dissuade Mark from returning there again. He felt the constant tug of the Arch even now.

He closed his eyes, trying unsuccessfully to rid himself of the memories.

*

Harry and Hermione crossed the entrance hall a couple of hours before the feast was due to begin. They had decided to look in on the Great Hall decorations before going to the Staff Room. Professor McGonagall had invited several guests to the feast and they would be served sherry there before going down to the Hall.

"It's beautiful!" said Hermione. "Julia's really gone to town. Goodness knows what her Christmas decorations will be like."

"Well, hopefully with less of a Ravenclaw theme, anyway," observed Harry, closing the door. "Evening, Draco."

"How did you know I was here?" the ghost responded indignantly.

"Your sneer is visible again."

"I understand from Professor McGonagall that you're on probation, Draco," said Hermione, who still had no idea why Harry wanted her to bathe with her clothes on because Harry couldn't bring himself to tell her any specifics.

"Well, yes. She seemed less enthusiastic about letting me stay than I'd hoped, actually."

"No?" said Harry sarcastically.

"But you've got a month or two to show her what an asset you could be to the school," added Hermione.

"So I'm supposed to be a good chap and keep an eye out for all these ghastly kids?" sneered Draco.

"Only if you want to stay, Draco."

They walked on towards the main stairs.

"Oh, alright!" said Draco, sounding thoroughly annoyed with himself. "There's one of the brats in the broom cupboard over there. Make sure McGonagall knows I helped."

Harry dashed over and pulled open the door. A small figure was curled up on the floor under a thick blanket. Harry leaned over and tried to shake her awake but she didn't stir.

He thought it strange that whoever had done this to her had provided a pillow and blanket for her comfort.

"Ennervate!"

Carmen's eyes flickered open in confusion.

"What happened, Carmen?"

"Mark?"

"What about him?" asked Harry, helping her up. "Tell us what happened."

Carmen frowned slightly and it was a moment before she could tell them anything.

"We'd just come back downstairs after Mark had gone in to see Professor McGonagall. He had only been in her office ten minutes. We were going back to find the others and do some more archery."

"How did he seem when he came out, Carmen?" asked Hermione.

"He was really quiet. Even quieter than usual, like he was worried about something. I was worried in case I'd got him into trouble or something, but he wouldn't say. When we came past here, he said he thought he heard a noise inside this cupboard. He opened the door and that's the last thing I remember."

"Alright, are you okay to walk?" asked Harry. Carmen nodded and she seemed to be unhurt. "I want you to go straight to the Hospital Wing. Tell Madam Pomfrey exactly what happened and ask her to inform Professor McGonagall."

"I'm fine," said Carmen, wobbling slightly. "I can go straight to her office."

"Winky?" called Harry loudly.

There was a loud Crack! and Winky appeared beside them.

"Harry Potter should know Winky is very busy preparing for the feast!" said the elf in her high pitched voice. "He had better have a good reason to call her."

"I'm sorry, Winky. Carmen has been hurt. Please take her to the Hospital Wing now. We'll join you as soon as we can."

"Where shall Winky say Harry Potter will be?"

"We're going to look for Mark Stannard. I think he'll be in the forest, but please tell Professor McGonagall to wait and not to follow us. One of us will send her a message later."

*

Harry and Hermione hurried across the grounds towards the edge of the forest. Harry didn't speak until they had entered.

"You were at the meeting too, weren't you, Hermione?"

"Yes, of course I was."

"So, Mark is one of your cases. How long has Professor McGonagall known?"

"I only told her today. In fact, today was the first time I told anyone of my interest, including Mark."

"Well, I take it the interview went badly?"

"I thought it went well, at the time. We must have scared him, though. I just wanted him to know we were there to support him."

"I can imagine," said Harry darkly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" demanded Hermione.

"Look at it from his perspective, Hermione. For three years Mark has done everything he can not to draw attention to himself. He's made sure not to have any friends or confidants and even worked hard to get nothing but average test results.

"Why? Because he has a secret, Hermione.

"So, today he turns up and he's suddenly told that it isn't just his secret any more. I bet you even said it didn't matter; that he shouldn't be ashamed."

"How do you know that?"

"Hermione, I'm not blaming you. You're right, but Mark is obsessed with that Death Arch. He can only have been planning to do one thing. Now, Mark probably thinks he'll be kicked out of here once you find out his interest. I hope you didn't actually mention the Arch to him?"

"No, Professor McGonagall said not to."

"Good."

"Harry, where is the Arch?"

"It's quite deep into the forest. I can only vaguely remember where, actually."

They didn't speak for a few minutes as they hurried deeper into the forest.

"I should have confided in you, Harry," said Hermione at last, panting slightly.

"No, I don't agree. There must be many children who are close relatives of Death Eaters here. They've a right not to be burdened by the crimes of others. You can't help who your family is, after all. No, on balance I'd rather not know."

"How on earth did you know that Mark's parents were Voldemort supporters?" she asked incredulously.

"I didn't. So, why did you want to speak to him today?"

"David found something out. I'd asked him to investigate a number of names from my files. He came up with something quite unexpected concerning young Mark."

"You told Mark whatever it was you found?"

"Um, yes," Hermione said quietly, clearly regretting her decision. "He seemed fine, though. He just said he was in a hurry to get back to the archery."

"There!" shouted Harry, running over to a fallen tree. "I remember this tree! It's fairly close now. Only a few minutes more."

"Oh, good," said Hermione, clutching a stitch in her side. "Which way now?"

Harry looked in all directions and then swore.

"I've no idea! I remember staggering to this tree. I stopped here a moment until I heard the sound of fighting. Then I ran back to the clearing where you were. That was over in that direction," he said pointing. "I just can't remember how I approached the tree."

"Do you think Mark left any tracks we could follow?"

"He may not have come this way at all."

"Oh, right. There might be a more direct route, I suppose."

Harry looked in all directions but nothing looked familiar. He had no clue what direction they should head in next.

"Damn!" shouted Harry in frustration, kicking the dead tree and hearing his shout echo slightly between the trees.

Then he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. He whirled around and shouted, "Dive!"

Harry's stunner just missed Hermione as she went sprawling on the leaf covered ground.

"Harry! Is it Mark?"

"I don't think so," said Harry, pulling her up. "Come on, let's go and see."

They pushed their way through a patch of young ferns to find a body laying face down. Harry kicked him over and then quickly grabbed the wand still clutched loosely in his victim's hand.

Then Harry looked at his prisoner. He was incredibly thin and he was wearing more rags than clothes. His boots were odd styles but the laces were tied up as if by someone who couldn't tie a knot or work out which order the lace holes should be used in. Filthy black matted hair partially obscured his face but Harry realised at once that this was a mere boy.

An odd chill ran over him as Harry began to recognise him.

"Good grief," said Harry. "I knew we were being followed, but I never imagined I'd ever see this face again."

Harry looked over to Hermione. She too was gazing in wonder down at the young face before them. Harry knew she had never seen him like this, but assumed that this was the individual she had consulted Professor McGonagall about.

"Goodness," she said blankly. "I suppose Winestock's file must have been true. I never really believed it."

-

AN: I hope his identity isn't too obvious.

Oh, yes. In this chapter Hermione reminded Harry of something (non HBP compliant) that he should have remembered from their Sixth Year described in "The Pauper's Time."