Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

Chapter 8 - Apparently They Survived

Harry pushed open the doors to the hospital wing and walked right into an argument.

"Mr Brown," said Madam Pomfrey angrily. "For the last time, Miss Gudmunson will be fine. I've healed her ankle but I'm keeping her in overnight simply as a precaution."

"But-"

"You may return tomorrow morning."

"You're not listening to me!" Alec practically shouted.

Harry walked forward and said, "What is it, Alec?"

"Sir!"

"Calm down and tell me what the problem is."

"It's Adeline."

Harry stepped over to the bed where Adeline was now sleeping. She had a few scratches on her face but otherwise she looked fine.

"Look at her face," said Alec in response to Harry's quizzical look.

"I've already told you," interrupted Madam Pomfrey. "I'll attend to any scratches tomorrow. I felt a good night's sleep would do her more good."

"No," said Alec, sounding quite exasperated now. "Look at her face; her skin."

Harry looked closer.

"Well, she does look rather pale," he admitted. "Does she have a temperature?"

"Oh, another medical expert," said Madam Pomfrey, pushing Harry out of the way and feeling Adeline's forehead.

"She does have a slight temperature, but that could simply be a reaction to her ankle injury."

"Adeline did get a deep cut on her hand earlier," said Harry.

"I've cleaned and bandaged the wound," said Madam Pomfrey, "as you can see."

"Okay," said Harry. "Let's assume for the moment she has reacted to something that scratched her."

"She will be under my supervision," she assured him. "If she has blood poisoning, I would need to wait to see her symptoms develop. She had no idea what the plant was that scratched her but even if she did I wouldn't treat her this soon. An incorrectly applied antidote can often be far worse than the poison it was supposed to remedy."

Harry turned to Alec and knew there was little point in trying to send him back to his dormitory if he was convinced there was something wrong with Adeline.

"You may stay here tonight if you wish, so long as you promise not to get in anyone's way."

"Oh, good grief!" said Madam Pomfrey. "Very well, I'll get you some pyjamas."

As she turned in a huff to head back to her office, Harry said, "Alec, Madam Pomfrey has patched me up more times that I can remember. There's no-one else I'd rather have to look after Adeline, believe me."

Alec nodded.

"Listen," said Harry. "I'm supposed to be going away this weekend. If you are still worried about Adeline or her condition changes for the worse, call me at once. Either use Madam Pomfrey's office fire or go to Professor McGonagall for help. I'll write down the address for you, okay?"

"Thanks," Alec said quietly.

*

"Morning, Harry!"

Harry grinned and said, "Hi, Luna. You're looking well."

She stepped away from the kitchen worktop and kissed him on his cheek.

"Thank you, Harry. We were worried you wouldn't make it. Would you like tea or coffee?"

"Um, tea would be nice. Thanks."

Luna picked up her wand and lightly touched the kettle. Steam blasted from the spout at once and she immediately filled the teapot.

"What time did you get here? It must have been very late."

"Oh, around three o'clock. Fortunately Neville is used me arriving at odd hours."

"Yes, he must have won the bet we had when you would arrive. So, I assume your students survived your little excursion? Hermione said you hadn't got back before she left."

"Yes, I just spoke with Madam Pomfrey. Adeline is still sleeping and Alec is still being a nuisance. She promised to call if anything changes."

"Do all your detentions leave the students in the hospital."

"Well," said Harry with a chuckle. "This is the first time all of them ended up in the hospital."

"Hm," said Luna, pouring him his tea. "Here, drink it while its hot."

"Thanks, Luna," he replied, lifting the tea to his nose and sniffing. "Um, this smells interesting. Did you make it yourself?"

"Oh, yes. It's Ron's favourite."

Harry took a cautious sip.

"Mm, that's nice," he lied seeing Luna's expectant expression. "Um, where are the others?"

"In the garden. I was about to join them."

They stepped out onto the rear patio. Ron and Hermione were sitting at a garden table while Ginny was down the far end of the garden leaning into the greenhouse door.

"Hi," they all said at once.

Ginny waved at him and immediately came back towards them as Luna took a seat next to Ron.

Harry sat down on Hermione's other side and squeezed her hand.

Neville appeared from within his greenhouse carrying a wooden tray and slowly made his way back up to the house, carefully inspecting the progress of his flowerbeds.

"Apparently they survived," announced Luna as Ginny got closer.

"Well, I rather assumed Harry wouldn't have come at all if his students had been seriously hurt," said Ginny with a smile.

"Of course he would," joked Ron.

"What happened?" asked Hermione, who had been fast asleep when Harry had finally arrived.

"There was just a small misunderstanding with a couple of Centaurs, that's all," Harry replied with a smile. "An arrow got fired by mistake."

"How many got fired on purpose?" asked Ron.

"Just the one."

"Perhaps you should stick with lines for your detentions in future, then," said Ron.

"Actually I've been thinking the same thing," admitted Harry, swirling the dregs of his tea around.

"I wasn't being serious," Ron added as Ginny sat down on the patio steps leading down to the small but well kept lawn.

"They could have been badly hurt. I only just realised we were about to be attacked at the last moment."

"What did Professor McGonagall have to say?" asked Hermione carefully.

"I waited to see her but apparently she was occupied last night," said Harry, placing his cup down on the table. "I've a nasty feeling that she was busy sorting out another of my brilliant ideas. Unfortunately the portraits wouldn't tell me where she was so I had to leave her a note."

"Were the Centaurs upset for a particular reason?" asked Neville sitting down next to Ginny.

"Yes. We found the remains of a small camp in the forest. Whoever it was had frightened off the Unicorns. I think they were using some of Fred and George's firestarters too, which leads me to believe they can't perform magic properly."

"Well, perhaps you should avoid the Forbidden Forest if someone is hiding in there," suggested Hermione.

"Actually, I was thinking of going hunting for them," said Harry darkly. "I really don't like the idea of someone hiding out so close to the school."

*

"Oh, come on, Harry," moaned Ron for the twentieth time.

Harry chuckled and shook his head, no.

He, Ron and Neville were relaxing in front of the large living room fire. It was late in the evening and Harry was still full after their late evening meal.

Harry swirled his tumbler full of Firewhiskey before taking another sip.

"It's just not fair," said Ron. "What's the point of having a mate who's your teacher when he won't give you the answers to your homework?"

Harry just rolled his eyes again.

"At least tell me what we're doing next lesson," pleaded Ron. "What should I get Luna to practise with me?"

"I'm not sure," admitted Harry. "Mad-Eye wanted to cover a few defensive spells."

"Oh, well at least the colour of my stunners is improving."

"I think he was thinking along the lines of dark detection methods. Constant vigilance and all that."

"Boring," pronounced Ron as he yawned widely. "I wish the girls would hurry up with our drinks."

Ginny, Luna and Hermione had withdrawn to the kitchen on the pretence of making drinks. Harry, however, strongly suspected that they were too intent upon gossiping to be bothered.

"So how are things at the Ministry, Neville?" asked Ron.

"Things are rather mysterious, actually. They've cleared out the entire Fourth Floor and squashed everyone in elsewhere. The rumour is that a new department is being setup. I think they must have their own entrance because the lift lobby is blocked off at that level."

"The Minister probably needed more space for his Pygmy Puff collection," said Ron.

Harry snorted and looked up to see Neville looking at him with a concerned expression.

"What?"

"Maybe I've been listening to too many rumours," said Neville. "There is one rumour that seems the most preposterous; and yet the most believable."

"Go on," said Harry.

"People are saying it may be a new magical law enforcement department, one that doesn't answer to the Wizengamot."

"No way," said Harry at once. "Why would they need a new department? Surely these new Tribunals wouldn't need policing? I thought they were for really minor things."

Neville shrugged.

Harry considered a few moments before finally adding, "Maybe I should go and see Kingsley after all."

"Sorry?" said Ron.

"It's like a standing joke we have," explained Harry. "As an Auror I'm supposed to have monthly evaluations with Kingsley, only I've never bothered to turn up. He's always regarded them as a waste of time since he has always told me at once if he has a problem. Anyway, this time he actually cancelled our appointment. I mean, he knew I wouldn't be there, so why cancel?"

"Well, obviously he wants to see you," said Ron with a smile, making Harry roll his eyes.

"He's probably fed-up of having me on his books, actually. It's been ages since I did anything remotely Auror-ish."

"I'd say that was a good thing," said Ron. "You always seemed to be getting fired at before."

"When would that appointment have been, Harry?" asked Neville.

"Um, next week sometime. Thursday, I think. I'll ask Professor McGonagall for an afternoon off."

"Well, don't say that you're coming to see Kingsley," said Neville, sitting up. "Come to my office. You can pretend we arranged to have lunch together and that way you can have a good look round on your own."

"Sure, but I'll still have to tell her. You up for a little breaking and entering, Neville?"

"No, he most certainly is not," said Ginny firmly, nudging the door open and coming in with a large tray.

Harry snorted and moved the empty glasses from the table so she could lower the tray.

"I've been meaning to take a look at our new classrooms too," said Harry. "Do you know how close they are to finishing them, Neville?"

"No. Where are they being built?"

"I've no idea."

"There you go," said Ron. "Isn't it likely the Fourth Floor is actually Harry's new classrooms?"

"I suppose that is possible," Neville admitted.

Ginny sat herself down next to him and said, "You're not really going to let Harry get you into trouble, are you? You'll lose that promotion."

"You've been promoted, Neville?" asked Hermione interestedly.

"Well, I suppose," said Neville modestly. "I'll have a little more responsibility and a slightly bigger desk."

"Unfortunately the salary increase isn't that great," added Ginny.

"Still, congratulations, Neville," said Hermione.

"What is it you do again?" asked Ron trying to maintain a straight face.

"He's the Assistant to the Assistant Under-secretary of Administrative Services," Harry, Hermione, Luna and Ginny all said together before laughing.

"Or should it be Senior Assistant now?" asked Hermione.

"I still maintain that there is no such department," said Ron, now laughing too. "I still recon the actual department name is Pot Plant Maintenance."

Ginny threw a cushion at him, but Ron caught it and threw it straight back.

*

Harry awoke early on Sunday morning and not wishing to disturb Hermione he went downstairs to the kitchen to make a cup of tea.

He soon heard shuffling feet behind him.

"Morning, Luna. You're up early."

"Hi, Harry. Yes, I usually prefer to rise early. Are you making tea?"

"Yes, but I'm afraid it's only ordinary tealeaves."

"That's fine," she said, drawing out a chair. Harry soon finishing making them tea and brought them over.

"Harry, could I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"It's about Ron. I wouldn't want you to betray a confidence, though."

"What's on your mind?" he asked kindly.

"I wondered how long you thought it might be before Ron gets his magical powers back."

Harry thought for a moment before answering.

"Well, it could be some time," he admitted. "The problem is we've never actually found out what the curse was. To my knowledge, all of the castors are dead now and no counter-curse has come close to reversing the effects.

"Personally, and I've no evidence to support my theory, but I think there must be a counter-curse. As you know, Ron can perform limited magic now and he's improving all the time. Unfortunately, the effect the curse had varies from person to person; and Ron was one of the worst affected."

Luna nodded slowly.

"So, to answer your question, I think it could be many years before Ron recovers even a fraction of his abilities. I'm still convinced that he will recover, though. The magic is in him; we just need to find the best way to help him."

"I think he finds it very frustrating," said Luna quietly. "He practises for hours at a time, you know?"

"I didn't, but I can understand it."

"I had wondered if he wouldn't be happier if we just gave magic up."

Harry was quite shocked by this statement.

"You'd do that for Ron?"

"Of course, if it would make him happy."

Harry looked over her shoulder and realised that Ron was standing at the kitchen doorway.

As Ron stepped forward and gently placed a hand on her shoulder, Harry said, "Maybe this is something you should discuss together. Personally, I think you should persevere, but I'm sure we'll all support any decision you came to."

"Thanks, Harry," said Ron, still looking down at Luna. "I'm not quite ready to give up just yet."

*

Harry sat down on the bed and felt Hermione stir.

"Hey," she said sleepily.

"Hey," Harry replied with a smile.

"No tea?"

"Sorry. I left the tray downstairs."

"What is it, Harry?"

Harry quickly told her about the conversation he'd just had with Luna.

"I'm just amazed that she'd do that for him," he concluded.

"Well, I suppose she's been thinking through their options. I do think it's a little rash, though. After all, neither of them knows anything about Muggle living. They didn't even do Muggle Studies at school."

Hermione picked up her wand and conjured two delicate fine china cups and saucers on the bedside cabinet. She then held the end of her wand over each cup and hot tea poured out of the end.

"I didn't think you liked tea made like that," said Harry.

"I don't generally, but my house elf stand-in let me down this morning. He's getting rather unreliable."

Harry chuckled and said, "Maybe you should threaten me with clothes."

*

Harry and Hermione returned to the Castle by Floo powder just after nine o'clock on Sunday evening as planned. They had expected to be greeted by Professor McGonagall but were instead invited to attend the Great Hall by one of the portraits.

They hurried downstairs and as they crossed the entrance could hear Professor McGonagall speaking in the Great Hall.

They stepped quietly inside and found that the four House tables had been removed. A small crowd of students and teachers were standing in front of a high circular construction. Professor McGonagall was standing in front facing the others and Julia Bales was standing next to her.

"I award thirty points to each of the students who helped Professor Bales," continued Professor McGonagall as Harry and Hermione walked forward as quietly as possible. "I also think we should find a permanent home for their creation. I'm quite determined to get a higher score the next time I pass through."

A few of the students laughed and Harry wondered what scoring she was talking about.

"Now, it is rather late and I know how you want to be alert for your lessons in the morning," said Professor McGonagall, smiling as most of the students before her groaned. "Time for bed."

As the group turned and slowly made their way out of the hall, Harry and Hermione went forward. When they arrived at the front, Harry realised that some seated students were being tended to by Madam Pomfrey.

Natasha Royce had an arm in a sling, Peter Westbury had his head wrapped in a thick bandage that covered one eye and Alec Brown had his leg bandaged from his knee down. Behind them Jane Gardener and Carmen Callidus were standing looking relatively uninjured but all five of them looked distinctly ruffled with torn clothing and bruised faces.

Harry looked enquiringly at Julia Bales but she just smiled back at him.

Carmen was looking daggers at Harry, as if everything had been his fault. When Harry saw that Mark Stannard was also standing behind them, characteristically wishing not to be noticed, Harry realised it probably was his fault that Carmen had become involved.

"Should they stay overnight in the Hospital Wing, Poppy?" asked Professor McGonagall kindly.

"Westbury will need to stay in for observation as he may have a slight concussion," said Madam Pomfrey, now taking Natasha's pulse. "Miss Royce should come up for draft to help her sleep and Mr Brown is a fixture in the Hospital Wing anyway."

"Very well, then. You may go."

All six students left at once and Harry had the impression that they didn't exactly feel that thirty points each had been over generous. Madam Pomfrey followed at a hurried pace, muttering as usual.

As soon as they had gone the great doors closed with a bang. To his surprise, Julia Bales burst out laughing and collapsed onto a vacated chair.

"What happened?" asked Hermione before Harry had the chance.

"Oh, we had a few difficulties with the charms display," said Professor McGonagall.

"Um, Professor?" said Harry. "How is Adeline?"

"Madam Pomfrey kept her in the Hospital Wing last night. I believe she has slept peacefully for much of the weekend but should be discharged on Monday," she added seeing Harry's concern. "I'm assured she is fine."

Harry nodded.

"So, this is it," said Harry, stepping towards the structure.

Now he was closer he could see it properly. There were two curved twelve foot high walls that came together to form a narrow entrance. The walls appeared to form two semi-circles that faced each other and Harry assumed that there was also a gap that formed an exit on the other side.

The outer walls were made from vertical timbers with large iron bands like a barrel. Criss-crossing the outside was a strange arrangement of heavy chains and ropes that looked like they had been hurriedly applied.

Through the opening, Harry could see a curved inner wall that was completely plain apart from a small plaque.

Curious, he walked forward to read it. He passed through the outer wall and was immediately followed by Hermione.

"Welcome to the Charms Wall of Wonders. You may travel clockwise or anti-clockwise through the display and you will be shown the exit as soon as you answer a challenge incorrectly. Answer all the challenges correctly and you will arrive back here."

Hermione grinned at him.

"I'm going clockwise," she announced. "You go the other way."

Harry smiled and turned, quite determined to beat her back to the entrance. As he stepped, the entrance vanished and was replaced by a solid stone wall. Indeed, he observed, all the walls were stone inside the Wall of Wonders.

The first challenge wasn't difficult. He watched a painted demonstration of a levitation charm and was challenged to say the correct name and reproduce the wand movements necessary.

"Wingardium Leviosa!"

Harry moved confidently to the next challenge and passed that too. His third challenge proved more difficult though.

A distorted face was squashed into a wall panel.

"You 'orrible little brat," said the face, reminding Harry forcefully of Filch. "Name the four derivative charms that were invented after I got squashed."

"Um," said Harry. "Am I allowed to ask your name?"

"Yes."

"What's your name, then?"

"I am his brother."

"Who?"

"Me!"

Harry spun around and realised that there was a second face on the opposite wall panel.

"Okay, what's your name?" asked Harry.

"I am his brother. I'm the elder twin."

Harry realised this was a clue but couldn't remember the names of the twin wizards. He vaguely remembered Professor Flitwick telling them about twin wizards, but that had been a very long time ago.

"Time is up!"

There was a loud pop and Harry found himself being pushed out of the exit.

He walked around to the front again just in time to see Hermione come out of the entrance. Obviously she had passed all of the challenges.

"That was wonderful!" she exclaimed. "How many challenges did you get though, Harry?"

"Two," he admitted rather sheepishly.

"Only two!" cried Julia, laughing loudly.

"Well, I got a really hard one. How many people have passed the whole thing?"

"Um, three not including Hermione."

"Who else did it?"

"Carmen, Natasha and Mark Stannard all passed," said Julia proudly.

"I'm afraid I only got as far as six challenges," said Professor McGonagall.

"Mark?" said Harry. "I can understand Carmen getting through and Natasha is getting good; but I'm amazed Mark did it."

"So were we," admitted Julia.

"They didn't cheat, did they?" asked Harry.

"I don't see why they would," said Julia. "Mark Stannard is hardly the sort who would want to stand out, is he?"

"No," agreed Harry. "How come they got involved, anyway?"

"It's been an interesting weekend, Harry," said Professor McGonagall. "I'll tell you what I know over breakfast tomorrow, but right now I'd prefer you to address how we can move this display to a more suitable location."

"Have you anywhere in mind?" asked Harry.

"Well, I was thinking about the corridor across from the third floor charms department."

"Wouldn't the opposite way be better, Professor?" said Hermione. "That way the students can pass through regularly. From what I remember, the corridor on the other side doesn't really go anywhere."

"Indeed," agreed McGonagall. "However, I assumed we'd need more space. As you can see from all the bracing we had to apply, the charms magic inside needs quite a lot to contain it."

Harry drew his wand out and said to Julia, "Do you mind if I add some walling to the outside? It will make it easier to move."

"Sure, go ahead."

Harry conjured a heavy stone wall tight around the circle and them marked where the entrance was.

He then pocketed his wand and crouched down next to the wall. With his palm flat against the cold stone, he pushed gently.

He heard gasps behind him as the entire stone circle drifted backwards a few inches.

Harry chuckled and got to his feet.

"How?" asked Julia, looking quite stunned.

"It's really just a trick," said Harry modestly. "The stone dampens the magic inside and binds the whole thing together. It also helps form a barrier between the charm magic and the magic here in the Great Hall. By the way, that's probably why you needed so much bracing on the outside."

"Well, yes, that's what we assumed. It just went crazy as soon as we re-assembled it in here."

"But, how did you move it so easily?" asked McGonagall. "And without a wand?"

"Wands are great for focussed magic, but this is just too big to hold in the mind at once. I just charmed it to move with a more vague notion."

Harry held up his hand to the stonework and gave it the smallest push sideways to that it began to turn momentarily before it vanished.

"Right, let's go and see how we're going to fit it in!"

Harry realised that the other three were not smiling.

"Don't worry, I can bring it back you know!"

"Harry," began Julia seriously, but Professor McGonagall cut across her.

"Now isn't the time to discuss magical theory and practise. Let's allow Harry to install the display and we can discuss anything else in the morning."

*

Harry retired to his apartments a couple of hours later and changed before Hermione joined him. He sat down on their couch and attempted to read Saturdays' Daily Prophet; although he found he couldn't find any articles to grab his attention.

He refolded the paper and then allowed himself to consider what had just happened.

Harry knew why Julia had been so shocked, although it hadn't occurred to him at the time.

When they had arrived up in the Charms corridor, it immediately became apparent that Hermione's idea wouldn't work. As Harry had pointed out, only those students who had answered incorrectly could exit in a direction towards their classrooms. Those few that might beat the challenges would find themselves back where they started.

In the end they decided the exhibit should not be positioned across the corridor, so students would not be forced to go through it. Harry was sure it would prove to be a popular diversion and it was agreed that those who had failed the challenges would just need to walk through a connecting corridor.

The only objector to the proposal was Moaning Myrtle who was convinced that the Wall of Wonders would replace a bathroom that she had grown fond of.

Harry had tried to explain that the bathroom would be left entirely intact but the entrance and exit to the Wall of Wonders would be right next-door.

Unfortunately, Myrtle seemed determined to get upset and in the end he left Hermione to placate her while he made room for the exhibit.

Upon reflection, Harry realised that Myrtle's vocal and tearful objections had distracted him. All he had wanted to do was finish up and leave.

That had been a mistake.

Hogwarts was so old and steeped in ancient magic, making adjustments to the castle fabric was something never to be undertaken lightly.

The Founders had recognised that students learning to perform magic could create havoc in uncontrolled situations. They therefore gave every inch of the castle many advanced protections which were then added to by generations of Headmasters and Headmistresses.

Harry had never confided to Professor McGonagall how it was that he knew how to circumvent the castle's wards.

He had casually pushed back the stone walls to make room for the Wall of Wonders and was considering where to construct the exit corridor before he realised that, as far as the others were concerned, he really ought not to be able to do that.

They hadn't interrupted him, presumably for fear that Harry might bring the vaulted stone ceilings down.

Too late, he realised that he should have disguised what he was doing.

Harry had brought back the Wall of Wonders complete with stone surround before quickly forming an entrance and then finishing off the exit corridor with a few lanterns.

Harry started as the door to their apartments opened and in came Hermione. She hung her travelling robe up and joined him on the couch.

"Thanks for dealing with Myrtle," said Harry, taking her hand.

"Oh, Myrtle wasn't really upset by the Wall of Wonders. I couldn't get anything positive out of her, but I think she's got a bit of a crush on a boy here. She kept saying he keeps hiding and she has to go looking for him."

Harry snorted.

"Hey, don't be mean," said Hermione, snuggling against him. "I think it's rather sweet."

"I'm sorry."

"Anyway, it was Julia not Myrtle who kept me. You can guess why, I'm sure."

Hermione's voice was even, but Harry detected a slight coldness in her manner.

"I, um, made an oath not to say," Harry said in a whisper.

"Well, you ought to consider what explanations you are able to give. Tomorrow, both of them will want answers."

"What about you, Hermione? Do you want to wait until morning?"

"I only want to hear what you are happy telling me, Harry. I can't deny I'm very curious, though. I had no idea you could perform such advanced magic."

"It isn't that advanced," admitted Harry. "The secret about how to work around the wards is something traditionally passed only between Head Teacher to Head Teacher. In the past some of them have confided some details to selected teachers, but there are some security protections that are never disclosed.

"Every Headmaster and Headmistress adds their own unique protections to the school. If Professor McGonagall has added anything new, then I wouldn't be able to counteract them."

"What about Professor Dumbledore's protections?" asked Hermione.

"Well, exactly," said Harry. "Dumbledore added many protections, but none more powerful than when I came to Hogwarts. He knew the Prophecy and he knew the dangers I would face. He realised that I would need Hogwarts to protect me, and he added some to do just that.

"The really clever thing that he did, though, was to realise that he and Hogwarts might fall to Voldemort. He alone knew that I would need access to Hogwarts even if Voldemort had taken over.

"Anyway, you remember that he left me a few things in his will?"

"Yes. They were his Dark Detectors, weren't they?"

"Mm, but something else arrived a few months after that. Can I show you?"

"Of course," said Hermione, sitting up and brushing her hair back.

"Please understand," said Harry gently, "that absolutely no-one can know of this. Not even Professor McGonagall."

"Harry, please don't show me if it means breaking your word to Dumbledore."

Harry smiled at her.

"As a matter of fact, this isn't really the secret I'm keeping from you. The only reason I can't allow anyone to know about it is simply the questions that would be raised."

Hermione frowned.

"Here, let me show you," said Harry and waved his hand.

There was the briefest of flashes and a box appeared out of thin air, spinning slowly right in front of them. Harry held up his hands and caught the box.

The box was cardboard with a matt green finish. A couple of labels had been torn off and it looked entirely unremarkable.

"It's a shoebox," said Hermione.

"Yes," agreed Harry. "It originally held a pair of slippers that he got for Christmas sometime."

Harry carefully lifted the cardboard lid to reveal the contents of the box.

"Runes," said Hermione absently, observing the markings that covered every inch of the inside faces of the box. "I suppose they protected the contents?"

"Yes. Don't reach into the box, will you? Crookshanks got quite a fright when he got too curious a while back. The box actually arrived separately, only a short while ago. It looked like it had been through a storm to get here."

Hermione smiled and nodded as Harry reached in and brought out one of the tightly rolled scrolls of parchment. Each one looked like they were covered in Dumbledore's handwriting.

"These scrolls contain all kinds of things," said Harry, not opening the scroll in his hands. "They range from safe routes through the Forbidden Forest to the passwords to get into the secret passages. Fred and George didn't discover a fraction of the true number of secret passages around here, you know?"

The smile on Harry's face faded as he looked down at the unopened scroll.

"I've read all of these many times. I still like to, actually. Not for their secrets; just because I feel closer to Dumbledore that way."

Hermione wrapped her arms around his and rested her head on his shoulder.

"This scroll, though, is the one I've read most often. There are no details of the protective wards in this one, but it was the one that told me a secret I wasn't to tell anyone. I don't want to hold anything back from you, Hermione; but at the same time I need to feel worthy of Dumbledore's trust. It told me about the shoebox and what its appearance might mean."

"Shh," she said gently. "Put it back, Harry."

Harry returned the scroll to the box and refixed the lid on. It vanished with another wave of his hand.

"Just so you know," said Harry a little uncertainly. "There are circumstances where I could reveal part of all this, but only where life would be at risk if I kept silent."

Hermione nodded and then sighed deeply.

"We should turn in," she said without moving. "You'll need to be alert for the morning. Professor McGonagall has invited us to join her for a private breakfast. Julia will be there too. I should warn you that all three of us will be ganging up on you," she added, kissing him on his cheek.

"You too? I had hoped that you'd be on my side."

"Let's just say we all want things to work out in your best interests."