Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

Chapter 6 - Well, That Makes A Change, Doesn't It?

"Harry, wouldn't it have been so much simpler just to deduct a few House Points?" asked Professor McGonagall over dinner. "Poor Mrs Bales wondered what was going on."

Harry chuckled and said, "Well, at least they're showing a little more enthusiasm."

"I also hear that young Peter Westbury has been begging all of the older students to teach him how to perform a certain sticking charm."

"That was brave. I expect more than a few were tempted just to glue him to the ceiling."

"Yet you suggested Mrs Bales judge how serious he was by his progress using sticking charms?"

"Yes, he's got a bit of a block there. I think he can't help associating it with a certain young Miss and he loses concentration."

"Would that be the same Miss who is Mrs Bales' only volunteer to date?"

"For Peter's sake I hope so," said Harry with a laugh.

"I suppose Alec Brown has the same problem?"

"No, I don't think so," Harry replied thoughtfully. "He just goes along with Peter most of the time, but he was disrupting classes just to cover up for his own lack of attainment."

"Well, he at least seems to be improving. Julia was in quite a quandary. On the one hand she feels she ought to encourage Peter to take an interest but on the other she feels he might just destroy the whole display."

"What is she building, anyway? I asked, but she wouldn't go into details. She said she wanted it to be a surprise for everyone."

"It sounds rather impressive, actually. It takes the form of an enclosed wall and has live demonstrations of charmed objects all over it. I imagine the difficulty has been balancing everything out and making sure the magic doesn't discharge too quickly."

"Balancing?"

"Well, the charm for levitating has to be kept well away from the summoning charm, for example."

"Oh, right."

"It has taken rather longer to set up than Julia planned, of course. She started this off with the idea that it might be a fun after-school activity."

"Shame she had to resort to giving detentions to make people help out."

"Well, yes."

"So, dare I ask what young Alec will get from his trip into the Forest?"

"Well, with any luck he'll have a scare or two and come back with a new respect for the knowledge that is available for learning around here. He's bright enough, but he's easily distracted."

"What if Peter's charm work isn't up to scratch by Friday?"

"I'm pretty sure it won't be, actually. That's why he won't be anywhere near the real charms display for their detention."

"Hm, I was wondering what you and Julia have been conspiring about for the last two days."

*

Harry squeezed through the tiny door and climbed out onto the tower roof. He was immediately blasted by the strong winds and reached out to hold himself steady against the stonework. This wasn't the highest tower at Hogwarts, but it ranked as one of the most inaccessible.

Opposite him was a tiny canvas tent that had been tied down to the heavy iron gully gratings.

He crossed the circular roof with some difficulty and ducked down into the tent entrance.

"Hello?"

Harry entered the tent and stood up. He brushed his hair back before crossing the magically enlarged interior and sitting down in front of the fire.

"Hi," he said, holding out both hands to warm them. "What's up now?"

Carmen continued to stare miserably into the flames.

"Not talking, eh?" said Harry.

Carmen shrugged.

"That's okay," said Harry. "I'll just sit here and enjoy the quiet. As a matter of fact, it's kind of nice. You know, I still remember when I could hardly get a word in."

Harry looked down at her and smiled seeing her try to keep a straight face. She had been barely nine when they first met and she had enjoyed nothing better than bossing him around.

"I'll just keep quiet then," he continued annoyingly. "Shall I do that?"

He gave her a gentle shove and she shoved back.

"Is that a yes? Only I'm really, really good at sitting quietly. I just want you to know that."

"Oh, do shut up!" she cried before they both laughed.

"That's better," said Harry. "So, why are you hidden away up here?"

"I just wanted to be alone for a bit, that's all. Why are you here?"

"Well, I was concerned about you. Natasha is too. I think Peeves thinks you're just burnt out."

"Peeves?"

"Yes. Haven't you heard his latest song about you? I can sing it if you want?"

"No, thanks."

"I think he might be right, though. I mean, I bet you're not even working on any new pranks, are you?"

"So? After the think with the flower arrangements thing, I thought Professor McGonagall would appreciate a little quiet."

"The thing is, I need a small favour," admitted Harry.

"What is it this time?"

"Um, I need you to get into trouble. That is, do something wrong, get caught and have to be punished."

"Why?"

"Why, you?"

"Er, no. Why, at all?"

A long moment passed while Harry considered how to answer this. Carmen decided that she'd rather not wait.

"Okay, why me?"

"Ah, I can answer that one! You are not bad at looking after yourself, are you? I think I can trust a fellow student's well-being to your tender care."

"Someone needs help? Um, is this when I'm getting caught or doing the detention?"

"I haven't exactly thought that far ahead, actually."

"Well, that makes a change, doesn't it?" she replied sarcastically. "Am I at least allowed to know who it is I'm supposed to be helping?"

"No. If you knew you might act differently towards them. I'm just going to arrange for a slight situation to arise and with any luck you'll be drawn into the, um, event."

Carmen frowned at him.

"I'm not getting back together with Stephen, if that's what this is all about. I've finished with him and that's final."

"Carmen, do you really think I'd do that? Look, it isn't Stephen. Okay?"

Carmen considered him for a long moment before nodding.

"So, is Stephen why you've moved up here?"

"I haven't moved up anywhere. I just needed some time alone to think things through."

"I'll take that as a yes, then."

Carmen tutted and said, "If you insist, but as a matter of fact all I've been able to think about for a while now is the look of disappointment on McGonagall's face."

"Professor McGonagall," he gently reminded her.

Carmen absently wiped her eyes.

"Look, if you'd rather not help me out, just say. I won't mind."

Carmen continued to stare into the flames in front of them.

"Where did you get this tent from, Carmen?"

"I found it in a store a couple of weeks ago, but I only put it up today. Natasha wanted to read a letter from her Uncle so I thought I'd put it up. There are some butterbeers in the kitchen, if you'd like?"

"Sure, that would be nice."

Carmen took out her wand and pointed it towards a door at the back of the tent. Instantly the door opened and out came two bottles flying towards them. As the bottles slowly spun around each other, both the tops came off and Harry could see frosting appear on the glass as Carmen magically cooled them. The bottles came to a stop and hovered right in front of them.

"Thanks," said Harry, taking a bottle. "Your wordless Charms work gets better every time I see you perform that kind of thing."

"Hm," Carmen said absently, taking a sip of Butterbeer. "I like Charms."

"You know? Years ago there used to be a Charms club. A real one, that is. Maybe you could ask for it to reform again."

"Maybe," agreed Carmen. "Natasha wasn't keen, though. Shame really, because she's really much better than me."

"Really? I knew she was good at Transfiguration."

"She doesn't like people to know what she can do, really. She's really got the knack of subtle magic, like changing the colours of a flower. She doesn't need to force it, so they last much longer than my efforts."

"Carmen, why would Natasha not want people to know she has a talent?"

"Oh, her Uncle warned her not to show off."

"Natasha doesn't really strike me as the kind of person who needs that sort of advice. Why would David tell her that?"

"I think it's the wandless magic thing. You know how edgy people are around him."

"Well, okay he had a bit of a reputation. That was because of what happened in the fight at the Ministry, though. Besides, what has that got to do with Natasha?"

Carmen didn't answer. Harry was about to push when it occurred to him that Carmen had probably promised not to say too much anyway.

Harry looked at his watch.

"I should go. It took me longer to find you than I expected."

"I'm surprised you did find me, actually. I was sure you wouldn't fit through the opening out onto the roof."

"Hey!" said Harry, laughing and flattening his robes. "Well, I'm not staying around here just to be insulted."

He placed the bottle on the stone hearth and stood up.

"Thanks for the drink, Carmen. You'll pack up the tent? I'd rather not leave this here for someone to find. The top of a tower isn't the most sensible place for a tent."

Carmen nodded and Harry made to leave.

"Um, when is your situation likely to occur?" Carmen called after him.

Harry grinned back at her and said, "Friday morning."

He closed the tent flaps and walked over to the opening in the far wall.

"Ah, that explains the curious shape this doorway has been transfigured into," observed the small golden snake lying coiled up just inside.

"Hi, Hydrus," said Harry. "Enough of your cheek. That opening was impossible for anyone to get through."

*

"What are you muttering about, Harry?" asked Hermione without looking up from her papers. Harry had just entered their rooms and sat down.

"Nothing."

Hermione asked, "Nothing?"

"I've just been cheeked by Hydrus."

"Well, at least no-one else could understand the pair of you. I take it you found Carmen then?"

"Yes, she was up one of the towers," said Harry, looking over to her. "Hey, what's up?"

Harry got to his feet the moment he realised Hermione was rather puffy eyed. He went straight over to her.

"What is it?" he asked gently.

"I've just received some rather sad news. I don't think you ever met him, Harry, but Hamish Winestock died yesterday."

"Winestock?" repeated Harry. "Wasn't he a Wizengamot member?"

"Yes, he came out of retirement after Voldemort's defeat."

"Mm," agreed Harry. "I did kind of meet him. He was sitting during my first appearance as an Auror prosecution witness. He grilled me quite hard, actually."

"That sounds like him," said Hermione with a sad smile. "I rather liked him, once you got past his gruff mannerisms. He was the one who accepted the legal precedence that allowed Arthur to push through the legislation that freed the house elves."

"You had a little to do with it as well," Harry reminded her gently, kissing her neck.

Hermione stroked the back of his hand fondly.

"He didn't sit on the Wizengamot often after that," continued Hermione. "He was rather ill for much of the time."

"He must have been quite old," said Harry.

"Well over a hundred, I'd imagine."

"Has a date been set for the funeral?"

"Yes, but his widow has said it will be private with only family members invited. The Prophet said she rather resented the Ministry pulling him out of retirement. If he hadn't taken so much on perhaps his health wouldn't have failed so soon."

"Lots of people came out of retirement to help out, Hermione. I don't ever recall anyone complaining that they were made to work again."

"Perhaps, but you can understand how upset she must be. Actually, I was sitting here wondering what I was going to say to her."

"Say to her?"

"Um, yes. Mrs Winestock has invited me to go and see her."

"Why?"

"I've no idea, but she wants to meet the day before the funeral service, on Thursday."

"Thursday?" said Harry, knowing that the day after was the one his plans were set for. "Do you want me to come with you?"

"Thanks, Harry, but no. I'll manage."

"Well, if you're sure."

"I am. Don't forget we are going to stay with Ginny and Neville this weekend, will you?"

"Actually," began Harry slowly.

"I knew you'd forget! Don't worry, I've got Professor McGonagall's permission for you to be away."

"Um, thanks. Actually, we'll probably have to leave Saturday morning and not Friday night. I've arranged some after-school activities."

"No problem. So, what did Hydrus say?"

Harry snorted and said, "He commented about the shape of the entrance out onto the roof. I think Carmen picked that one deliberately to keep me from finding her."

Hermione smiled and snaked her arms around him.

"Well, you have put a little weight on, haven't you?"

"Sorry?"

"Harry, I'm not having a go at you. After all, you can hardly expect to remain as thin as you were when you left hospital."

"You think I'm over-weight?"

"I think," she said carefully, "that as we get older, three Hogwarts meals a day are likely to have an effect on us."

"By us, you mean me?"

"Harry, I'll still love you when you are twice the size of the giant squid."

Harry chuckled and said, "I may hold you to that."

*

Harry stepped off the spiral staircase and knocked on Professor McGonagall's office door. The heavy door opened at once and Harry saw that Hermione and Professor McGonagall were sitting opposite the large claw footed desk.

"Well," said McGonagall, continuing their conversation. "I don't think there's anything to be done at the moment. Hogwarts will do whatever it can."

"Are you sure? I mean, there are bound to be objections."

McGonagall smiled and said, "You mean, would I object?"

"Well," Hermione said uncertainly. "I could well understand, given past events."

"If we were talking about the same person who left here, then no, I would not welcome him back under any circumstances. However, from what you have told me, that is probably no longer the case."

Harry frowned slightly, wondering who they were talking about.

Hermione nodded and said, "The problem is, I've no idea where he is. I can't even make him an offer to come here."

She lightly tapped some scrolls of parchment on the desk and they vanished at once.

"We did send another letter inviting him to attend, but it wasn't delivered."

"Really?" said Hermione in surprise.

"Well, it seemed prudent to at least attempt to make contact."

Hermione stood and smiled at Harry before turning back to Professor McGonagall.

"Thank you, Professor. I'm glad I had the opportunity to talk this through."

"Not at all," said McGonagall with a smile.

"I'll keep you informed of developments, of course. Good evening, Professor."

Harry bid McGonagall good evening and escorted Hermione out of the office.

"What was that about?" he asked quietly as the descended the spiral staircase.

"Oh, I can't really say. I met with Mrs Winestock this afternoon."

"Oh, right. How did that go?"

"Okay, overall. She gave me some confidential case files. Winestock wanted me to take responsibility for them, but they mustn't go through the normal Wizengamot channels. That's why I can't talk about the cases with anyone. Well, hardly anyone."

"I understand," said Harry, who had needed to keep Hermione in the dark about many of his own Auror activities.

"Fortunately, Winestock consulted Professor McGonagall too, so it was okay to speak to her about one of the case subjects."

"Right," said Harry, determined not to be tempted to ask any further questions.

They walked down to the front entrance in silence, Hermione deep in thought. She only came out of her reverie when Harry had to tell a rowdy group of Fourth Years on their way into the Great Hall to calm down.

"Where are we going, Harry?"

"Wherever you like, Hermione."

"Let's go for a walk round the lake?"

"Sure," he said, taking her arm.

They were almost on the other side of the lake when Hermione spoke again.

"Mrs Winestock was very nice, actually. I'd been worried that I might have upset her."

"How is she?"

"Oh, bearing up. She has three of her sons staying with her and they were expecting more family to arrive tonight."

"That's nice," said Harry.

"She told me all about how Winestock used to come home and tell her about all my arguments before the Wizengamot. I was rather surprised when she said he followed my career with interest, even after he became ill. I rather had the impression he wasn't at all impressed with my appointment."

"Hermione, I sat in on some of those Committee hearings, remember? You wiped the floor with most of them."

"He was so stern, though. He picked me up on almost every bit of procedural law in the Wizengamot."

"Well, maybe he felt a little threatened," suggested Harry.

"Hardly! You know? I'm beginning to think he was preparing me. Maybe even protecting me."

"This has something to do with these case files?"

"I can't say, Harry."

"Sorry, Hermione. I didn't mean to mention those again."

Hermione smiled and squeezed his arm a little.

"Harry, could I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"Something hypothetical?"

"Um, okay."

"Just supposing," she began hesitantly. "How can I put this? Suppose Draco Malfoy wasn't dead."

"He is dead, Hermione. I found his body in the forest."

"Yes, but I'm asking a hypothetical question. If Draco was alive, would you accept him back as a student? So he could finish his education and graduate?"

"Hermione, he is dead, isn't he?"

"Yes, Harry."

"So, he's coming back here as a ghost?"

"Don't be ridiculous, Harry! I said, if Draco was alive."

"So, if he's dead and not a ghost," began Harry.

"Oh, forget it!" said Hermione with a great sigh. "I was only using Draco as an example."

Harry smiled and said, "Okay, I was only teasing you. If Draco was alive, then yes, I would have no problem with him coming back here. Well, I'd accept it, anyway. I know we didn't get on, but in the end he did the right thing. He was the one who helped us get the Horcrux that Bellatrix was keeping."

"Oh, right."

"So, should your hypothetical example have been about someone I hadn't forgiven?"

"Yes, I suppose. Draco wasn't a very good example."

"Who, though? I can't think of anyone who would want to come back."

"Please don't ask me that, Harry. Besides, it rather looks like he doesn't want to come back. Actually, for all I know he may be dead."

"This is someone you thought Professor McGonagall might reject too?" asked Harry.

"Frankly, yes."

"So, why do you think this mysterious person might come back?"

Hermione looked at him for a long moment before answering. Then she uttered a single word.

"Dumbledore."