Unofficial Portkey Archive

Mr. & Mrs. Evans by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Mr. & Mrs. Evans

i found nemo

Disclaimer: Don't own HP or M&MS

Mr. & Mrs. Evans

Chapter 14: Persons of Interest

---

Thanks to everyone who's stuck with this fic. All the reviews mean a lot to me.

---

Hermione and Sienna quickly stepped out of the elevator as the metal doors pinged open.

"Hey boss," Jeremy called out to the two, jogging to catch up with them as they made their way across the office floor, "Maggie seems to be fine, she's just sleeping it off in the infirmary. But if that's all for today I was going to see if I could skip out of here early? You know, beat the traffic home-"

"Sanders, is this your way of asking to skip out on your share of the paper work?" Hermione asked, continuing forward.

Jeremy let out a laugh and looked between Sienna and Hermione, "No! No of cour-"

"Good, then you won't have a problem going to fetch Matthews, Colgan, Bear, and Jude for us, will you?" Sienna asked, turning around with a grin that dared him to argue.

Jeremy smiled tightly, "No, I'll get right on it."

"Hey, did someone need me?" Jude asked coming up to Hermione and Sienna just as they turned around to continue on to the meeting room.

"Yeah, we're holding a briefing in a few minutes," Hermione informed him.

"Is everything alright?" Jude asked, concerned that there was a mishap with the mission they just got back from.

"Nothing's wrong- we just got a new job," Sienna replied, "A big one so it's important we get started now."

Jude turned back to look at Hermione, "New mission, huh? Don't you ever just want to take a break?"

"Are you implying that you don't want in on this?" Hermione asked him teasingly.

"No," he returned with a smile as he held the door open to the room for the girls to pass, "I'm just saying, it seems like you don't know how to relax."

"And what, is that something you think you can help me with?" she asked again, making copies of the folder in her hand with a flick of her wand and with another swish sending them to five seats surrounding the head of the table.

"I'd be up for the challenge any day," Jude whispered back in her ear as he was leaning in to sit at the table.

Hermione's cheeks immediately blushed pink. She quickly glanced at him to find his eyes focused intimately on hers.

There was a humorous snort a few feet away, "I'm sensing a very sexual vibe in here, and it's not coming from my side of the room."

"Sienna," Hermione warned, not wanting her to start this in front of Jude.

"So," he cut in as Sienna was preparing to say something smart, "When do we officially start on this one?"

"There's a formal ball that we need to be in attendance to tomorrow night."

---

"… So we leave tomorrow," Sirius finished up, watching as his godson did another flip through the file. "And I know you don't like that fact that you won't be able to do as much background work as you normally like, but when Remus got this he decided to accept immediately. You said so yourself, you were sick of muggle jobs."

Harry shook his head as he closed the folder, "How exactly is this going to happen?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm talking about fourth year, Tri-Wizard tournament- Krum will recognize me and any one of the Weasley's in an instant."

"Not exactly…"

---

"Viktor Krum?" Jeremy asked as a life-sized picture of the Bulgarian was projected into the air behind Sienna and Hermione. "Isn't he some quidditch star?"

"Ex-quidditch star," Hermione answered, "He was forced into retirement due to a previous assassination attempt during one of his games. He was knocked off his broom and fell nearly a hundred feet to the ground leaving him with a concussion, memory loss, and four fractured vertebrate's. And that was what the spells and potions couldn't mend."

"Blimey…" Jeremy noted in awe looking down at the photos in the folder of a bruised and battered Krum in a hospital bed.

Sienna nodded as the rest of the agents started turning idly through the folders, "Yeah, it was covered up as an accident and wasn't portrayed as serious as his injuries truly were in the media. Everyone was led to believe it was just a bit of rough playing gone unfortunately awry."

"Right, up until recently when stadium security footage revealed that there was more to it than that. There's evidence supporting that Boris Krastevich had tampered with the bludger moments before it crashed into the back of Krum's head."

"Boris Krastevich? Never heard of him…" Jude said, looking up to Hermione questionably.

"He did three years in Azkaban for dangerous practices against humanity. More importantly though, he used to be an apprentice under Krum's dad and partner. Which leads us to why people are out to kill Viktor…"

---

"Stefan Krum and Nikolay Aleksandar were two of the most brightest and intelligible doctors in Europe back in their day.," Sirius started, uncapping his second beer, "They cured various outbreaks of disease in Eastern European countries and made modern advancements in surgical procedures still in use today. They operated a few clinics around Bulgaria and bordering areas and taught a select few aspiring students their ways."

"Sounds promising…" Harry muttered insincerely.

Sirius nodded, "But, there were a few controversies in the dream duo that were Stefan and Nikolay."

"Being?"

"Stefan and Nikolay were the last remaining sons of the Luchezar crime family. Stefan was set on inheriting his father's position as boss of the mafia as soon as he turned twenty one. This decision, made unanimously by both Nikolay's and Stefan's father, upset Nikolay immensely."

"And that was the start of a long burning jealousy between the two?" Harry guessed.

Sirius again nodded, "Alas, as Krum's dad remained to be in good health once he turned of age and since Stefan had his own desires to pursue an education in medicine, they decided it be best to leave things as they were, having Stefan take over when Krum senior or Aleksandar senior could no longer hold the position."

Harry was silent for a few moments, taking in all the information before chuckling lightly, "Viktor Krum is the descendant of a mafia boss. I would have never guessed…"

"Yeah well, it was a few years later when Stefan and Nikolay's friendship started disintegrating. Seems Stefan had one idea of helping humanity with there medical knowledge and Nikolay had another."

---

"Dr. Aleksandar had been performing experimental surgeries with the help of his assistants without Dr. Krum's knowledge," Hermione explained to the group as they sat, listening attentively, "He would lure poor, sick civilians in to his institutions under false pretences that he would give them a check up. Then, he and his apprentices would proceed to bind them down onto a bed and perform inhumane and utterly cruel surgeries on them. Adding gills to their necks, reversing there knee and elbow joints and other things of that nature…"

"That's terrible," Bear said with a sad face.

"Anyway, this continued on for months- during which both Krum and Aleksandar seniors' health was failing. By the end of 1959, Mr. Krum had passed away, leaving Mr. Aleksandar to hand over the head position to Stefan."

"This completely outraged Nikolay, even though it had already been decided that Stefan would get it. The next day, after Stefan's initiation, Aleksandar senior was found inside his bed chambers- his head completely severed from his neck."

Sienna scrunched her nose as she picked up after Hermione, "Dr. Krum went searching for Nikolay to inform him of his father's murder. Stefan didn't find Nikolay but he did find his father's head in a box in one of Nikolay's storage cupboards."

---

Harry grimaced, "Bloody Bulgarians…"

"Yeah," Sirius agreed with a grim nod, "This bloke was completely off his rocker. So Krum went back to his head quarters and sent out a few guys to hunt Nikolay down. The men found him and Nikolay was executed by Stefan the next day. I do believe that's tradition in Bulgarian families," Sirius added thoughtfully.

"What, behead your father and later have your own arse ripped to shreds?" Harry asked with feign interest.

"Yeah, basically."

---

"So where's that leave us with Viktor?" Jude asked, glancing up from the folder to Hermione.

"Well Stefan and Nikolay's supporters were split in two- with the mafia siding with Krum and with the psycho-surgeons with Nik," Hermione explained to him.

Sienna nodded, "Right, and one thing Dr. Krum didn't know about his best friend was that he had conceived an illegitimate love child with Krum's then girlfriend and future wife- Viktor's mother."

"Oh, how scandalous!" Jeremy said dramatically.

However, Sienna totally bought into it, "I know right? But somehow, Krum's mother kept it a complete secret from Stefan. Now after this point, the details are fuzzy but we think she went away to stay with some extended family in Italy for the duration of her pregnancy. And then after the baby was born, gave it up for adoption with a local agency."

"Boy or girl?" asked Matthews.

"Boy," Hermione confirmed, "If it was a girl we wouldn't be in this mess."

"I totally agree to that," Sienna nodded, "Boys suck."

---

Harry swallowed another gulp of beer, "So Krum's evil step-brother grows up shunned from his birth mother, having to have to watch her and his father's killer in the media as they travelled around with there beloved son, Viktor- who just so happened to be a child quidditch prodigy."

"Yup."

"Well, I suppose that's reason enough to want to murder him…"

Sirius snickered at his godson's rationale, "A five year old trying to strangle his father by shooting spaghetti out of his fingers would be reason enough for you. Just as long as you get to go back out there and use your wand again…"

"You can hate me all you want for being happy about someone trying to kill Krum. It won't make me any less excited for this!"

---

"So Krum will be at this ball tomorrow in regards to meeting with a few businessmen about purchasing the L.A. Flyers," Jude recited, "And we're going to be there, on the look out for some crazy Eastern Europeans trying to make a move against him."

Hermione nodded along to him and then added, "That's where this gets a bit tricky. Really, we have no other information on who's after him. We don't have names, pictures or anything concrete to go off of. All we know is that someone is looking to murder him. Technically, we're his security for the event. If someone does present themselves in a dangerous matter against him, then from there we'll look into taking offence and eliminating the threat."

"Easiest case scenario, we go to this ball, have a few cocktails, make sure nothing too fishy happens and then Krum leaves the next morning with his heart still beating, hopefully the owner of a new quidditch team," Sienna finished simply.

"I think we can handle that bossy," Bear said with a polite smile.

"Great!" exclaimed Jeremy eagerly, "Now who's assigned to what?"

---

"You should get some rest. We got an early day ahead of us tomorrow," Sirius said, standing up from the kitchen bar stool and waving a hand over his empty beer bottle, banishing it to the rubbish bin.

"Where you going?" Harry asked.

"I'm going to head back to Grimmauld Place- see if Moony needs any help finishing up with Ron, Ginny, and Malfoy."

Harry scrunched up his face, "You sure we need that many?"

"Since we don't know how many assassins could potentially be there, the more the merrier," Sirius replied.

"I guess…"

Sirius gave his godson a knowing look, "Don't tell me you want this one all for yourself, you selfish git. Remember, sharing is caring Harry."

Harry rolled his eyes, "Right, right."

"You should be a bit more ecstatic too."

"Why's that?"

"Because we're going to Hollywood. Have you seen the women from Hollywood?"

"No…"

"Tattoos right on there bums!" Sirius said excitedly, throwing his arms out wildly, "Now that oughtta give you a hint to how wild they are in the bedroom, am I right? Am I right!?"

"Get out of here," Harry said emotionlessly.

"Alright…" Sirius whined, heading out of the kitchen with his head hung low.

"And Sirius?" Harry called a few seconds later.

Sirius's head shot back into the kitchen, wearing a smug grin, "Yeah kid?"

"Put some fucking pants on!"

"I feel that with this shirt and blazer combo, pants are no longer needed to compliment my outfit."

Harry flicked his wand at Sirius, causing the older man to groan as a perfectly fitted pair of grey trousers blossomed over his legs.

"I promised myself I would never bail you out of jail for public indecency again- save us both the trouble."

---

I'll just say that I'm really looking forward to the next chapter- and I know you will be too ;]