Unofficial Portkey Archive

Mr. & Mrs. Evans by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Mr. & Mrs. Evans

i found nemo

Disclaimer: Don't own HP or M&MS

Mr. & Mrs. Evans

Chapter 26: The Showdown Part II

---

[AN] My gift to you. Happy holidays everyone!

---

"Alright Harry, are you sure you want to do this?" Ron asked, giving Harry a dubious look.

"Stop asking me that," Harry told him as he finished strapping on his counteractive vest from his kitchen table. If he was hit with anything- spell or bullet- he wouldn't be harmed.

"Alright, how about a different question?" Ron asked and then continued before Harry could answer, "Why are we doing this?"

"You think Hermione is my weakness, and I'm pretty sure she thinks so too. I have to show her that I'm not weak. Plus, I want to know more."

Ron drew a hand over his face as he leaned back against the counter, "She tried to kill you yesterday-"

"She tried. And today, she'll find out that she can't. I'm stronger than she is," he added the last part as if it was a reassurance for himself. He put on a plain grey shirt over the vest. After, he slipped a blue zip up jacket over his shoulders and put a Dodgers hat over his head. Today would require him to look every bit muggle.

With a brief deep breath, he looked up to Ron, "You ready? It's about noon there."

Ron shrugged, grabbing a biscuit from the open tin, "I guess. Nothing crazy today, right?"

Harry smirked, "Just giving her a taste." That could or could not have been a lie. His objective was to try and get Hermione alone with him again. What happens then is up to how she behaves. She could be going home with a bruise or in a plastic bag.

'She's a murderer,' Harry reminded himself for the thousandth time.

Ron sighed, and gave his friend a meaningful look. "You really think you're going to be the one to finish it, don't you?"

"I will be. Simple as that," he said it as if he was talking about the weather.

"Hope so," Ron mumbled under his breath. No matter what kind of grudge he had against Harry's ex, he couldn't deny that she was one powerful broad. Harry glared at him after his comment.

Quickly, Ron changed the subject, "Look mate, I'm really not sure if we should be doing this behind Sirius and Remus' backs-"

"This is my problem," Harry contested. "You can either help me with it or not. I'm going though, no matter what."

"Fine, let's get this over with." There was a growing feeling in Ron's stomach, that maybe everything wasn't going to be alright for his best mate. But then, his stomach growled and he figured he was just still hungry.

Harry nodded and walked out of the kitchen, heading into the living room. Ron and he would not be the only ones on today's mission. Harry had made the decision to tell Fred and George the complete story about him, and the woman they were currently hunting. To say that they were surprised when they found out that Harry had been married was an understatement. But still, they had agreed to come along and help Harry out, and for that he was grateful.

"Fred, George, we're leaving," he announced as he came into the office where Quentin was still tied up. Though, when he caught sight of Hermione's intern, he had to laugh. It wasn't Quentin tied up in the chair anymore, but a life sized Easter bunny. Part of the perk for the twins was that Harry had allowed for them to test a few new products on his captive.

"It works perfectly," George said.

Fred nodded his head in agreement, "We need to market this and have it on sale in time for the holidays. Kids are going to go ape-shit over this…"

"After we're finished handling Harry's wifey we'll get started. Agreed?"

Fred smirked, "Agreed."

Harry rolled his eyes at them, "Put on your badge and jackets. You're going to have to walk to the ambulance from our apparition point."

"Aww, but I thought we got to drive it?" the two men groaned together.

"Only if there's an emergency," Harry teased, turning and walking back from the room. Really, it wasn't a joking matter. Things could very easily get out of hand today. Harry didn't want to keep lying to himself. He knew how he should handle Hermione, and how he wanted to handle her- but also, he knew that the mere sound of her voice made him act a certain way. It was all very unpredictable.

"You want another cup of coffee, boss?" the deep, soothing voice of Bear asked. Hermione looked up from staring at her left ring finger. Dark circles shaded beneath her eyes.

"I'm fine," she replied.

After yesterday's events, Sienna had taken initiative and gathered a small team to take back to their house. Currently her, Jeremy, Matthews, Colgan, Lopez, and Komar were running over both defensive and offensive strategies in the kitchen. Krum had been taken away with the rest of the agency, into the most trusted and unimaginable place possible. Getting him back to Bulgaria was another thing on their list of priorities.

Here, they were on high alert. The planning was so urgent because they were expecting backlash from what had happened yesterday. Or from what had been done to whom, more specifically. They all figured it was only a matter of time.

Hermione had spent nearly 24 hours wondering if she had really killed Harry. Could he had really been that fragile? She didn't think so, but kept remembering seeing his feet poking out of a pile of rubble, wood, and books. She didn't stick around long enough to see if he would get up.

Jeremy blew the building two minutes after it had been completely evacuated. It was procedure, after all. The explosion was set up to be explained as an electrical fire to the muggle firemen.

And though, she knew that having Harry gone was the wisest thing, Hermione couldn't get over the immense sense of cowardice she felt. Even though he had killed Jude, he didn't deserve the end he got.

"Hermione…" it was obvious whose voice it was this time. Her and Sienna really hadn't had much time to talk after the evacuation, except for Hermione briefly telling Sienna that Harry had been inside.

"Yeah?"

"Look-"

"I know Sienna, you don't have to tell me." Hermione didn't want to keep hearing that 'it was all for the best'.

Sienna sighed and sat down next to Hermione on the sofa, "We could really use you in there," she spoke, nodding off to the kitchen.

"I'm not sure I'd be any help right now. I can't even think straight. Everything we've worked for in the past year is…" Hermione shook her head, leaving out the dead ex-husband part, "It's a pile of ashes now."

"'Mi, we can always rebuild and you know that," Sienna replied, giving her friend an imploring look. In between plotting and scheming with the rest of the team, she had been doing some thinking about Hermione. Over the past few days, she had been hurt worse than ever. Thanks to Hermione, their main enemy was gone, but their agency would still have numerous battles to overcome before they would be able to relax again.

Hermione was not herself, to put it lightly. And with all the chaos happening around them, Sienna didn't see her jumping back into old ways any time soon. The last thing she wanted was for Hermione to be exploited. Right now, what she needed most, was an escape.

"Promise you'll hear me out, okay?"

Hermione furrowed her eyebrows at Sienna, totally confused, "What-"

"Just promise," Sienna persisted.

"Um, okay…"

Sienna took a deep breath, "Look, I know… I know you're depressed right now-"

"What?! I am not!" Hermione exclaimed immediately. She wasn't! Right?

Sienna nearly rolled her eyes at her denial, "Well you're still not yourself. You've had to take on and handle so much over the last two days and… and-"

"Spit it out, Sienna."

"I think maybe it'd be best if you went away for a little bit. Until all this blows over…" Sienna finished in a subdued tone, mentally preparing herself for the onslaught that was about to rip from Hermione's mouth.

Surprisingly, Hermione only scoffed, "Don't be ridiculous, Sienna. I can't leave. I won't leave. I'm not just going to run away… I won't be a coward…"

Sienna was taken aback by Hermione's rambling. Who said anything about being a coward? Hermione must have been having a tougher time than she thought. "Hermione, think of this ethically. You were so close to the head of their organization, and now that he's dead-"

Hermione sneered at her friend and jerked her head away.

Sienna wasn't hindered. For once, she needed to get her point across, "Maybe you should go visit your mum and dad for a while."

"Not a chance in hell," Hermione rejected stubbornly. That was the LAST thing she needed. Going back to London and getting a big 'I told you so' by her parents. There was a reason she hadn't spoken to them since she left school…

Sienna sighed once more. The conversation was over for now, but she wasn't going to drop the topic. If push came to shove, and Hermione still wasn't herself, then Sienna would make her disappear for a few months.

"Fine. It was only an idea."

"A stupid one," Hermione muttered, still angry. Who did Sienna think she was? Trying to override her right to be a part of the team? They were equals in this agency, and last time Hermione checked, that status hadn't changed.

Sienna stared at her for a long moment, "Don't hate me for trying to protect you."

Hermione shrugged, recognizing that Sienna was going all loving best friend on her, "I just need a kip or something. I'll be fine after I rest for a bit."

"Alright, go to bed then. I can keep everything locked down here."

After a few seconds, Hermione nodded and got up from the couch. She didn't even know if she'd be able to sleep, but she cherished the possibility of alone time.

She was heading over to the stairs when a shrill ringing sounded from the kitchen. There was a scrambling and some muttering, before the only sound was that of the ringing mobile. Hermione walked back into the kitchen, curiosity evident in her eyes.

"Whose phone?"

"It's yours," Sienna answered, Hermione's small silver flip phone in the palm of her hand. It looked like the entire group was crowded around Sienna, staring down at the mobile.

"Well who's calling?" Hermione asked.

"Quentin."

Instinctively, Hermione held her hand out for the phone, "Give it to me."

"Are you going to answer it?" Jeremy asked this time, his look intense.

There were three possibilities of who could be on the other end of the line. One, someone from Harry's agency was contacting them, making the first move; two, Quentin somehow got free and was ringing them to let him know where he was; or three…

Hermione's heart jolted at the thought of the third possibility. She didn't have time to think on it, because before another moment had passed she was twirling her finger in the air, signaling for the group to stand by, and flipping the phone open.

The line was silent for three seconds, "H-"

"We have a problem Hermione," his smooth, deadly voice made Hermione's heart drop into her stomach. She felt like huffing as a flame of annoyance coursed through her.

"You obviously want me dead, and I'm becoming less and less concerned about your well being. So, what do we do?" Harry asked, not sounding concerned in the least. He knew the answer, and yet he was provoking her.

"What have you done with them?" It was the first question to jump out of her mouth. With it, Sienna and Jeremy became more suspicious.

Harry let out a laugh, "Avoiding the question like usual?"

"Tell me," she demanded.

On the other line, Harry was smirking, "Who? Ollivander or that kid with a loose tongue?"

"Quit being so conceited and answer the question," Hermione nearly screamed through clenched teeth. Sienna snapped her fingers, giving her a warning to get her emotions in check. Hermione never used to be such a spark-plug like this.

"Well Ollivander is in safe keeping. No use spoiling that by telling you. And your little pet provided a lot more useful information than I thought he would, so I decided to keep him." Smugness was dripping from his tone, and Hermione felt oddly glad that she never got to know this side of Harry. If he kept up this attitude then the situation would be easier to handle.

Hermione took a deep, collecting breath, "I bet you enjoy playing the sinister puppet master, but it's time to get down to business. Where are you?"

"Closer than you think."

Hermione jerked her head up and twirled her finger again at the other seven occupants in the room. Instantly, they got the message and began looking out of the windows that revealed their backyard and the stream of shops on the street below.

"You know all that fame that circles you really is a load of codswallop," Hermione said, also starting to look outside the window. She had spent the past twenty four hours regretting his death, when really the bastard was still alive and dandy. It was her turn to goad him.

A moment passed before Harry answered, "What do you mean?"

"I'm just saying… you're a lot stupider than I thought the Boy-Who-Lived would be," Hermione answered, shrugging lightly. It was true- to a point.

Another moment passed on the other end, "Careful Hermione. My patience is already wearing thin…"

Hermione scoffed and smirked, "I'd consider that a threat if I knew you weren't bluffing."

"You think I'm bluffing?" Harry asked incredulously.

Jeremy waved his hand, trying to grab her attention. He was leaning to the side of the window farthest left. He looked strangely excited, and was nodding his head towards the glass. Hermione braced herself on the window next to his and peered out to see where he was motioning to.

Hermione bit her lip. That head of hair could be recognized anywhere, even if it was disguised under a baseball cap. Harry was sitting at an outside table at the corner café. The hat was pulled low over his face and he had one hand holding the mobile to his ear, while his other rested underneath a magazine, flipped over on the table. It wasn't hard to guess what he was concealing.

Hermione took a deep breath and glanced back towards Jeremy. He was staring hard at her with his wand gripped tightly in his hand, as he whispered, "I'm taking it."

Hermione vehemently shook her head and mouthed, 'Not yet.'

"Babe, I know you're bluffing," she continued with Harry.

Down at the café, Harry was shaking his head, "You said yourself that you've done some research on me. You have to know what I'm capable of."

Hermione prepared herself for her cold front, "All I've read about is some pampered prince who loves taking the spotlight for terrible things that happen around him. You're a murderer."

As soon as she finished her last sentence, the windows they were all looking out of shattered into tiny, sharp pieces. Hermione jumped and threw herself behind the wall. Her breathing had escalated as she looked around to make sure everyone was alright.

"Then you don't know anything," Harry's calm and quiet voice carried on.

Hermione didn't try to summon the corrosiveness back in her tone, "So you're going to deny what you did yesterday?"

"Are you gonna deny what we did the night before?"

Hermione was silent for a few seconds. She fought the memories, but they flooded through her anyway. She grudgingly admitted that the other night had been a dream. But nothing but that. That night was not their reality. So much had changed since then.

"Yes," she finally answered harshly, "I have nothing left to say to you."

"Wrong again," Harry shot down, "I'm just getting started with you."

Sienna again snapped at her and nodded off into Harry's direction. It was clear that she wanted to know if Jeremy could take the shot.

"Hermione…"

Hermione didn't answer, and turned her back on her best friend. She knew they had to get a move on, but she was finding it extremely hard to string together another sentence.

Finally, gripping the mobile so tight that her knuckles were turning white, she took a deep breath.

"Goodbye Harry-"

"PECTUS PECTORIS TENTATIO!" a voice yelled the second Hermione hung up the

phone.

"Wait!" Hermione tried, twirling around in time to see a jet of lime green leaving Jeremy's wand. Screams of passerby's could be heard before Hermione even reached the window and looked out.

Once she finally did, she saw a few chairs and tables knocked over on the café's little porch, and a growing crowd of people, all circled around a fallen someone.

Hermione couldn't breath. Without properly thinking, she apparated across the street from the café- breaking through all her home's wards and not giving a flying fuck if anyone had seen her.

Pectus Pectoris Tentatio… otherwise known as the Heart Attacker. It was the deadliest spell behind the Avada Kedavra. Harry Potter or not, he couldn't have survived it.

The screams and shocked voices were growing louder, as was the new sound of an ambulance, already alerted about the incident. Three words was all it took… one moment she was talking to him, and the next he was gone.

She was about to walk across the street to see him, to see if he had died with a face of pain, but was stopped when a warm hand clamped down on her shoulder. Sienna turned her around and pulled Hermione into her, before leading the way back up the alley to where they could safely disapparate. Hermione didn't fight her, but continued to shoot glances over her shoulder. The ambulance blare was pounding in her head. She would never forget its sound…

Harry pulled the sheet over his face and sat up on the gurney. The ambulance was speeding down the street, probably towards a safe place where George, Fred, Ron, and himself could apparate home.

He felt constricted and quickly threw off his shirt and ripped off the counteractive vest. His breathing was still shallow.

She had really done it. How could he have any doubts over her anymore? She had just attempted to kill him. Obviously, their marriage was a set up on her part…

"Tough luck, Harry…" Ron said, patting him on the back. Harry sent a glare at him, still breathing heavily. Ron shrugged, "Now you know. Just be thankful you decided to wear the vest."

Harry placed his head in his hands. So this is really what it had to come to.

Later that day, Hermione had suggested that she and Bear take Krum back to the Bulgarian ministry. Sienna was more than reluctant to let her go, but Hermione had to keep reminding her that she had no authority to pull rank over her. Begrudgingly, Sienna had to admit she was right. Her only hope was that Hermione was as 'okay' as she said she was. Honestly though, the woman wasn't fooling anyone.

After contacting Connor, the agent primarily in charge of Krum and the rest of the agents, Hermione and Bear left for their location. It was a place south of L.A., and high up in the mountains. When they arrived and were greeted with the welcome sign, Bear had to giggle at the town's name- 'Big Bear'.

Krum was still a little loopy after being put under the sleeping spell over and over again, so getting him to agree to apparate from city to city, until they reached the Atlantic coast was easy. The sensation from flooing from Charlotte to Sofia was painful as hell, but Hermione wasn't bothered by it. After today, she didn't think she'd feel anything but numbness.

The Bulgarian Ministry was so relieved to have Krum back safe and sound, that they didn't ask any immediate questions. They left with a promise from one of the auror's that they'd be in contact soon.

After they were lead back to the apparition chamber, Hermione rounded on Bear. She told him that he was to go back to her house and tell Sienna that she had followed her advice and that she would be in Wales for the next few weeks. At first, Bear was adamantly against the idea, but after Hermione threatened to pull her wand on him, he became more understanding. After a farewell 'I'll miss you' and a bone crushing hug, Bear disapparated all the way back to Los Angeles.

Finally Hermione was free to go to the place she really wanted to be. It would be painful being there, but her mind was set.

The rain started to fall more heavily at St. James Park. Hermione sat quietly on the park bench, overlooking the London eye and other historic towers of London.

It had been so long since she'd been to this park, but she could still remember her and Harry joking back and forth on this very bench, as if it were only yesterday. Closing her eyes, she could remember the exact shape and sparkle of her engagement ring. She had to push back the desire to have that ring back on her finger. That was the whole purpose of coming here. For closure. She had to accept that she would never see Harry again. And she had to acknowledge that as a good thing.

It was easier said than done, and for the longest time Hermione sat there in the pouring rain with her eyes clamped shut, trying to forget the memories.

Minutes passed before Hermione recognized that the rain had stopped splashing against her head and blouse. Her eyes snapped open curiously, but her back stiffened when she realized that the weather had not changed around her. Rain was still pouring harder than ever.

Hermione let out an disbelieving laugh, instantly knowing who the presence was behind her. She would know that smell anywhere. Un-fucking-believable…

"Was it you?" his suave voice asked.

Hermione rolled her eyes and folded her arms. 'How many bloody times were we going to go through this routine? Alright, I get it! Harry Potter's bloody invincible to near death experiences.'

"If it was me you'd be dead," she still said, as rudely and confidently as possible.

Harry laughed bitterly, "May I sit?"

"No," Hermione answered matter-of-factly.

Rain splattered on her hair again as Harry walked around and took his seat next to Hermione on the bench. He placed the umbrella back over them, "So are you taking a personal day? Trying to remember times when you were actually happy?"

Hermione's eyes narrowed into slits. "Actually I was thinking about how glad I am that I'm no longer married to you," she lied.

"Seven years ago, what made you say yes?"

Hermione's breath hitched but she stealthily covered it. Why now, of all moments, would he decide to get right the number of years they had been together? She stayed quiet, afraid that if she opened her mouth she would seem weak or vulnerable.

"Or was it that you were forced to?" Harry asked again, in an emotionless tone.

Hermione took a deep breath. She wasn't about to let him expose her in any way. She had to be cold, "You're finally catching on."

Harry swallowed and then nodded, "So that's it, huh? I was all part of the job?"

"I did what I was told, when I was told to do it."

Harry wanted to scream at her. Ask her how she could look herself in the mirror or

even sleep at night. But then again, after getting past all the anger there was still a

part of him that thought she was lying. They were in love, that's why she said yes.

"I think you owe me a dance," Harry said suddenly, looking over to where a few couples were dancing under a lighted canopy.

"I don't owe you-"

Harry threw the umbrella down and yanked her forward before she could finish her sentence. His grip on her hand was iron hard, and she had to struggle to keep up with him. Harry drug her in the direction of the couples slow dancing to the soft music. When they were finally under the tent, Harry spun her into him roughly.

"So I suppose a few nights ago was all part of the job, too?" he muttered audaciously into her ear.

Hermione rolled her eyes, "No actually, I was just bored."

"More like lonely," Harry scoffed insolently, "Face it sweetheart, you'll never be as happy as you were with me."

"I was miserable with you," Hermione snarled. She could tell he thought he was easily going to win this, and right now she'd do anything to kick him off his high horse. Even if that meant being a huge bitch.

Harry didn't take kindly to her insult, and slammed her into the back of the canopy pole. Hermione let out a hiss of pain.

"You're lying," Harry muttered evenly, covering up the true disdain her last statement caused. Lucky for him, his pain quickly converted into more anger.

"What's wrong Potter, can't handle rejection?" Hermione mocked him.

"About as well as you can," Harry said back.

Hermione huffed and shook her head in an irritated fashion, "Okay then Mr. Self-righteous, why did you even ask me to marry you in the first place?"

Harry stopped dancing and for a solid few moments, they both stood there wrapped in each other's arms, not saying anything to interrupt whatever was happening. He finally broke the silence, and looked down into Hermione's eyes, "Because… I thought you were the greatest gift I'd ever been given, and I didn't want to settle for something great when I could have had something amazing."

Hermione stiffened, her arm sliding off of Harry's shoulder. She felt a prickling at the back of her eyes and prayed that they weren't tears forming. Harry still kept one hand around her waist, and the other holding hers against his chest as he continued.

"I wanted to have children with you, and grow old with you- but now, I can't understand why anyone in their right mind would ever want to be close to you."

Hermione let out one shattered breath before pushing hard against his chest. She didn't spare him another look as she turned from the dance floor and sprinted off into the wet park.

Harry looked on as she ran towards the parking lot, happy that for once she ran off hurt while he looked on triumphantly. He didn't have much time to relish the moment, because a few seconds later an older gentleman tapped him on the shoulder.

"Excuse me sir, but I think you're glowing," he said to Harry, pointing down towards the faint orange glow being emitted from Harry's pocket.

A quick second passed before Harry jolted into action, and scrambled to take off his blazer. Moving as fast as possible, he balled up his coat and threw it hard, away from the canopy, hoping to make it into the park's pond.

Harry didn't wait to see, and turned around to shout at the couples, "Get back, get back!"

BOOM!

Harry bent over with his hands on his ears. Looking up, he saw water shooting about a hundred feet in the air. He jumped again, startled when a small, wadded, wet mass landed before him. The remnants of his favourite blazer.

"Oh…" Harry muttered with a wild look in his eyes. He was trembling as his hands clenched into fist, "No she fucking didn't…"

Without thinking, he started running in the direction he had watched Hermione take. Anger didn't begin to describe how Harry felt over Hermione. How in fuck's sake could she have the last say again?!

When he reached the parking lot, he found it void of any signs of Hermione. Livid, Harry ripped Quentin's phone from his trouser pocket and speed-dialed her number.

"Hello?" she asked brightly.

"That's the second time in 24 hours that you've tried to have me killed." Harry could barely get words through his clenched teeth.

"Cry me a river, you poor baby," Hermione jeered, not the least bit phased.

"You can't hide from me," Harry continued, now looking around the park for her, "We have important business to finish."

"I guess I'll see you at home then," Hermione answered brazenly.

The line clicked dead just as Harry let out a frustrated howl.

'Damn this bloody woman!' was his last thought before he apparated to his Kensington home.

---

The chapter we've all been waiting for is coming up soon… please review!