Unofficial Portkey Archive

Mr. & Mrs. Evans by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Mr. & Mrs. Evans

i found nemo

Mr. and Mrs. Evans

Chapter 2: Deep Thinking II

Disclaimer: Don't own the rights to HP or M&MS.

[A/N:] Sorry I haven't been around lately (I'm still working on the after math of Septembers VMA's) and then sorry again because this chapter is short and mainly a filler.

Harry James Potter stood outside in the dark, wearing his thick forest green bath robe and a pair of old slippers he'd never worn before, firmly holding onto the nozzle head of the hose allowing it to spray water over the grass.

He kind of felt bad for making a big deal about watering the grass in front of Hermione. But he knew she hadn't done it and he felt like being alone. He liked nights like these, where he could just stand outside and ponder on things like life in general.

In his short 26 years of life he had gone from being the Boy-Who-Lived, to the Boy-Who-Conquered- which was he was all okay with. Dumbledore had entrusted him a job to do which led to the ultimate demise of one of the greatest dark lords in history and he was more than happy to get rid of the giant sod that had murdered his parents when he was only a year old. Plus having a reputation like that led to many attractive women openly throwing themselves at him which he was kind of shy about until after Voldemort. When he left Hogwarts he was offered many jobs, quidditch, auror, model, more ministry positions, you name it. But what really caught his eye was an agency to track and obtain dark wizards that his godfather Sirius Black was starting along with other members of the Order of the Phoenix. This job trained him to be better than any auror, quicker than any quidditch seeker, and smarter than any ministry researcher. The positives where that he got to do what he loved without being a poster boy for the ministry and he got to be close to the people he loved. It didn't pay bad either but he really didn't need the money.

The one thing that had shocked him most in his life and something that he thought would never happen was that he met a girl and fell in love and then by the age of 20 was happily married.

For about six months.

After that it just seemed like they were tolerating each other. Harry didn't want to get a divorce with Hermione, and he knew she was trying with the whole marriage counselling, but sometimes it just seems like there's no more of that old flame they used to have. Everything seemed so routine. Now, somewhere deep down he knew he still loved Hermione. She always stood out from the other women. She was amazingly beautiful, brilliant, and mainly she wasn't just interested in the Boy-Who-Conquered... hell she didn't even know who the Boy-Who-Conquered was.

That's right, Harry James Potter, saviour of the wizarding world had settled down with a muggle by the name of Hermione Jane Troy. He had been married to Hermione for about five, six years and she never knew the side of him who had worn glasses and had a lightening bolt shaped scar on his forehead, who could wave a stick of wood to make a pineapple tap dance across the table. Nor that it was him against Lord Voldemort and he had succeeded with barely an inch of his life. No… his Hermione only knew him as Harry James Evans, president of JRB Contracting.

Harry sighed. When his marriage life was confusing the hell out of him he'd like to fall back on his job and think that over. Of course, Hermione thought he was a contractor working out of London. She didn't know he was an elite agent that worked to help obtain and sometimes even kill dark wizards. Harry didn't enjoy killing people, but it helped to know that these people were much better off dead then killing hordes of innocent muggles or plotting to be the next Lord Voldemort. 'Definitely don't need one of those again,' thought Harry bitterly. He smiled to himself for a second, remembering that his partake in the death of a wizard had initially led him to meet Hermione.

He smiled fondly as he remembered the first time they met in Nice. He had just finished a particularly nasty job with a French wizard by the name of Gaspard Michel. Things got out of hand to quickly which led to Monsieur Michel's immediate death and his security guard's memory not being altered so they knew he had been alone with a tourist a short time before his death.

After taking a few side streets away from Monsieur Michel's chateau he had resumed his path to his hotel. As he stepped into the lobby he could see a group of authoritive figures in black outfits headed towards the bar. He was just about to turn on his heel and get to his room by climbing through a window outside when he seen the person the bulky men were questioning. She had soft brown hair flowing down her back in light tendrils and smooth creamy skin that adjourned a gorgeous face. He smiled, continuing to look at the girl before shaking his head. This girl was probably about to be arrested because of him.

He walked through the line of people checking in and walked straight up to her.

"There you are honey, I've been looking everywhere for you." he said walking past the men surrounding her with a crooked grin. He walked up right next to her and slid an arm around her waist while pressing a kiss to her forehead. 'Smells nice too...'

"Where have you been?" he asked with a concerned tone.

She spared a glance at the guards, "I, um... I was shopping in the square."

Harry laughed liking that she was playing along with him, "God, I hope you didn't max out my credit card." Harry turned to give the guards a questioning glance, "Can I help you gentleman?"

"Non monsieur," said the man closest to the woman. The man gave her a look before turning around and motioning for his troops to follow him.

Harry smiled and looked down at the woman who was watching the men leave. She finally turned to look him in the eye and he was pleasantly surprised with the beautiful orbs he was now staring into.

"Close call, huh?"

"Um, yeah... thanks."

"No problem. Can I get you a drink?" He jerked his head toward the bar which was the bartender's cue to give him two shots.

"Yeah sure," she said smiling back at him.

"I'm Harry," he held out a hand.

"Hermione," she replied placing a gentle hand in his, still staring into his eyes like he was doing with hers.

"Very nice to meet you, Hermione." Hermione, Hermione... he was liking the name more and more by the minute.

"Likewise."

"HARRY!" Harry jerked his mind from the blissful memories and looked up to the voice screaming at him from across the street.

He sighed, "Hi Bob."

"Hey mate! Whacha doing? Watering the lawn? That's great! It's not like your lawn needs it though, you have the greenest one in the whole neighbourhood!" Bob gave a hearty laugh and continued, "Hey whacha doin' after you water your lawn. Wanna play some poker mate?! Do ya?! I can get Debbie to make some cookies! Maybe a casserole?"

"Uh, no Bob, I was going to go to bed after this," he said politely. Bob Finkle was the nightmare neighbour from hell. He put Colin Creevey to shame the way he put Harry on such a high pedestal. The Finkle's were constantly trying to get Harry and Hermione Evans over for one of their garden parties. For the men it usually consisted of smoking a cigar and talking about football, golf, lawn keeping, and the art of barbequing, and then football again, and golf again... It worked in a nice cycle. The woman would be cramped up inside their small sitting area and talk about the 'fundamentals of breastfeeding' or so Hermione called it. Hermione hated those parties just as much as Harry did.

"Oh right, right. Yeah I guess its night, isn't it?"

Harry tried to muster a polite smile but failed, "That it is, Bob."

"Right, well I won't keep you from Hermione any longer. Me and Debbie are just gonna go in... maybe watch a film... and then you know once the kids are asleep-"

"Alright, night Bob!" Harry yelled, trying to escape back into the safety of his home.

"Oh, wait! Harry! HARRY!"

Harry turned around in his doorway. He had almost escaped, "Yeah Bob?"

"Debbie and I are holding another garden party tomorrow night; you think you and your wife will be able to make this one?"

"Uh, no Bob, actually Hermione's aunt called a few days ago asking if we could pick up her cat from the vet... tomorrow night... so uh, we'll take a rain check!" Harry finished quickly stepping through the door way and shutting the door with an effective slam.

Harry sighed again before slipping out of his slippers and walking quietly up the wooden steps to his and Hermione's master bedroom. He walked through the open door and closed it gently behind him. He threw his bath robe in the general direction of his side of the closet and walked over to his side of the bed not noticing Hermione awake and looking at him.

"Why'd you slam the door?" she asked quietly as Harry slid under the covers.

"Uh, Bob. Sorry to wake you."

"Oh, what'd Bob want?"

"Just another garden party."

"Hmm," Hermione was looking at Harry from her side. She never noticed how much space was left between them when the slept. This was their marital bed for Merlin's sake.

"Harry?"

"Yeah?" he said looking at her with sleepy eyes.

"Uh, just wanted to say night." she finished quickly, again looking down to the huge gap between them. It's like they were purposefully as far away from each other as possible and it just seemed natural for them to get in bed that way...

"Right, night Hermione." Harry didn't say anything as he watched Hermione scoot towards him a little. He watched her for a few moments as she snuggled up to the comforter before turning towards her and navigating more to the centre of the bed as well.

See... he could try and make this marriage better.

Thank you to everyone for the reviews. I know I haven't updated in a while like I said I would but I have been working on it and I'm nearly finished. I've also been working on two (YES, two! One of the will even be a sequel fic!) other fics that are about ¼ of the way through.

Anyway, with that said, please leave me some feed back to thrive off of.

<3Oli