Unofficial Portkey Archive

Mr. & Mrs. Evans by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Mr. & Mrs. Evans

i found nemo

Disclaimer: Don't own HP or M&MS

Mr. & Mrs. Evans

Chapter 6: His Meeting and Her Proposal

[AN]: And here's the next instalment. This chapter you'll get to see a little more angst than action and you'll also finally get to see Ginny and more of Hermione's work environment.

This chapter marks the first rising action and next chapter we'll see the climax of it, so without further ado:

...

"Alright, well I guess I'll see you tomorrow evening?" Harry asked Hermione as they made their way towards her car.

"Yes, that's the plan at least. If I have to stay longer than that I'll call you, okay?"

"Okay, be safe," he finished walking up to her and leaning in. He must of caught Hermione by surprise because she jerked her head back, but quickly leaned back in to press her lips lightly to his. She at least owed him that much after last night…

"You too. I know how dangerous you and Sirius can be when you two get together to go golfing," she finished with a smirk as she opened her car door and got inside. Smiling back, Harry closed the door for her and waved after her as she ignited the engine and sped off down the driveway way.

As she disappeared from sight, he turned on his heel and took off towards the house. Last night was going perfectly until Sirius had interrupted them, and now they couldn't pick back up until Hermione got home, which wouldn't be for a few more days. He thought he might be going spare with all the sexual frustration he was feeling. For Merlin's sake, all he wanted to do was make love to his wife, but could Harry Potter be allowed to pleasure? Hell no, and people like Sirius sodding Black made sure of that.

Thinking of Sirius, Harry remembered the phone call from last night. He had said that he had big news, but wasn't about to go into it over the mobile. It was actually pretty convenient that Hermione was going out of town today since now he didn't have to make up an excuse to leave given that it was a Saturday morning and he didn't work Saturday's.

Figuring that he'd get Sirius back by waking him up early, he quickly washed up and changed into a fresh set of clothes. Within another ten minutes, he made his way out of his house and into his back shed, apparating to Grimmauld Place.

"OI! Hello, anyone alive in here?!" Harry bellowed at the top of his lungs while making his way into the kitchen.

"Christ Harry, it's five o'clock in the bloody morning and you come in screeching like the bloody world's about to end," muttered a moody voice from the corner of the kitchen.

"Ginny, what're you doing here so early? Does Sirius know?" Harry asked with a raised eyebrow.

"What, do I need you're permission to stay here? Last I checked you didn't own the house Harry..." she said again in an angry tone, avoiding his questions entirely.

"What's up your arse?" He asked coming forward and grabbing a coffee mug from the cabinet.

Ginny sighed and placed a hand to her forehead as Harry filled his mug with coffee, "I'm sorry Harry, it's just... a lot's been going on lately..."

"Well, I think we've got a while until Sirius wakes up," he said sympathetically, moving over to the table and motioning for her to come over. As she shuffled over and plopped down next to him he patted her back soothingly, "Start from the beginning."

"Well, you know how Jason's been pressuring me to move in with him?" She asked, referring to the bloke she's been dating for the past six months. Harry frowned at his name and nodded for her to continue, "Yeah, I don't know if Ron told you or not, but I finally decided to move in just to get him to shut up about it. Sure enough, just like I'd predicted, we've been fighting more and more lately because he's a little nancy boy and gets mad when I don't put his face moisturizer back in the right spot," Harry coughed up his coffee, trying to hide a fit of laughter, "and how I need to water the plants lightly every eight hours. It's like, I'm not going to get up every eight hours to water your stupid potted ficus plant, you know?" she asked, looking at Harry for support.

"Yeah, that could turn into a real hassle," Harry said precariously, trying not to laugh in fear of adding to Ginny's temper.

"Exactly, so I finally told him where he could shove his stupid ficus and he didn't take it to well. Finally, I got out of there after throwing a plate at his head..."

Harry grimaced, "Christ Ginny."

Ginny nodded solemnly, "And I probably shouldn't have shouted for him to go fuck himself either…"

"You live up to the whole 'red-head' reputation well, you know that?" Harry asked in amusement whilst taking a sip of his coffee. Harry was definitely thankful that Ginny was a lot more subdued when her and Harry broke things off back in school.

Ginny shrugged, "I need to start my period soon, I've just been enraged at every little thing these past few days."

Harry again coughed out his coffee and shook his head vigorously.

Ginny smiled, "Oh right, you don't want to hear about women's menstrual cycle... that happens once a month... the thing that makes us bleed from our-"

"Ginny!"

Smirking, "Okay, okay. So what about you? What are you doing here so early?"

A dark look passed over Harry's face, "Got a call late last night."

Ginny raised an eyebrow, "And I take it by the death look on your face that you weren't too pleased to be receiving a call at that time?"

"No, not at all actually."

Ginny smirked again, "I know you too well Harry Potter. So who is she?"

Harry sniffed dismissively and took a sip of his coffee, "I've no idea what you're on about."

"Sure you don't."

"And you? Why are you here?"

"I told you, I had a fight with Jason in which I insulted his plants, threw a china dish at his head, and screamed at the top of my lungs out in the hall for him to go fuck himself."

"Does Jason know not to get on your bad side?" Harry asked seriously.

"Don't know, don't care."

Harry smirked, "Shit happens, right?"

Ginny smiled back cheerfully, "And that's just life."

Harry laughed, "I meant why'd you come here of all places?"

"I got a call too last night, and I didn't want to go to the Burrow or a friend's because I didn't want any questions about me and Jason."

Harry nodded. "Understandable. So are you going to break things off with him?"

Ginny scoffed like it was the most obvious answer in the world, "I told him to go fuck himself. Usually that translates into if you ever try and talk to me again I'll use a precise severing charm on your bits and pieces... Plus I've kind of got my eye on another bloke."

"Oh?"

Ginny sighed, "Can we get off the topic of my love life? It's too bloody early…"

Harry chuckled, "That's right Gin. I knew he didn't mean that much to you anyways..."

"None of them ever have Harry," she said quietly, looking Harry in the eyes.

"Right well," Harry said uncomfortably, wanting to avoid the little trip down memory lane where they dated for a few months back at Hogwarts, "Maybe I should go wake up Sirius?"

"No need Harry, your charming godfather is present and accounted for," Sirius said brightly, coming into the kitchen and head towards the coffee pot.

"Finally old man, we've only been waiting for nearly a half hour," Harry lied with an impatient snort.

"Really, I thought you called out if anyone was alive only five minutes ago?"

Harry blushed lightly as Ginny laughed.

"Ginny love, how did the guest bedroom work out for you?" Sirius asked while taking a sip of the hot liquid.

Ginny shrugged, "Better than sleeping next to some stupid prat that goes by the name of Jason."

"Glad to know I helped."

"So Sirius what's so important that you had to call me at nearly midnight last night?" Harry asked.

"We should wait until the rest get here," Sirius answered him vaguely, going over and sitting at the head of the table.

"Who's the rest?"

"I called Remus, Ron, Draco, and Fred and George for today, but as the plan progresses we might need to call in more."

Ginny sighed, "Well if Ron's supposed to come then we can expect to be waiting for a while."

---

"Ms. Troy?" asked a woman in a French accent as Hermione entered into a very elegant looking lobby.

Hermione turned to see a short brunette dressed very stylishly, "Yes?"

"I'm Rebecca, I'll be showing you in today."

Hermione frowned, "I thought Sienna was supposed to be here?"

"Ah, Miss Cosveaux is already awaiting your arrival in the office," Rebecca answered as she led Hermione over to an elevator that was very familiar to Hermione.

"Oh, then do you know why I've been called in so unsuspectedly?"

"I haven't been given any information on that, I was just sent down to retrieve you."

Hermione frowned to herself and let her mind wander as the doors to the lift opened and the entered without any hesitation.

As they both waited in the elevator silently, Hermione noticed Rebecca glancing at her every few seconds.

"Yes?" she asked a bit peeved as Rebecca shot her another look.

"Oh, I- I just wanted to congratulate you on your success last night. It was a very admirable performance," she finished hurriedly before training her eyes forward again.

Hermione smirked, "Oh, what stories has Sienna been telling you now?"

It was no secret that Hermione and Sienna were the top agents and Sienna was definitely the opposite of modest. She liked to brag and boast to the younger and more inexperienced agents, and more often than not were the stories exaggerated.

Rebecca gave her a confused look while the elevator doors shot open and Hermione exited the lift, walking forward to poke her wand into the centre piece on a titanium door, similar to the one at the vault last night.

"Access granted to Hermione Jane Troy," spoke a cool monotonous voice through the door. It swung open and emitted Hermione, leaving Rebecca out there to also poke her wand into the pad.

"You're two minutes late, Troy," said Sienna good-naturedly, walking up next to her to hand her a paper as Hermione walked out of the hallway and into the spacious and posh office which had a magnificent view of the Parisian skyline.

"You're two minutes early, Cosveaux," Hermione shot back with a grin. "Now what's this?"

"That is our congratulatory letter from Father saying what a beautiful job we did last night," Sienna boasted loudly so other people at their cubicles would hear.

"And do you have any idea why I'm here? I mean usually it's him that contacts me when there's another mission..." Hermione trailed off as the two friends walked over to their secluded office. They each sat down at their respected desks and Hermione automatically powered on her computer. Something that Hermione appreciated about the agency she worked for was that they weren't ignorant to the common technology that muggles made.

"I haven't a clue, Father contacted me last night as I was heading home and just told me to get a hold of you and tell you to come- are you getting this?" Sienna finished eyeing the instant message that had just popped across her screen.

"Gather in meeting room two," Hermione read off.

"Well I guess he's not wasting anytime then, is he?" Sienna asked more to herself as she got up from her chair, followed by Hermione and left for the meeting room, awaiting their debriefing.

---

Sirius looked around his kitchen and smiled, "Great, now that we're all here-"

"And have stopped stuffing their bloody face with every food imaginable," Ginny added darkly shooting a look at her youngest brother.

"-we can begin. I know how much you all enjoy getting calls around midnight, but this job came to me pretty late last night, but just in the nick of time. Any of you heard of Claude Donavinci?"

The Weasleys, Draco, and Harry all shared baffled looks with each other before unanimously shaking their heads.

"Good," Remus started, coming in from the hall with folders, "You're not supposed to have heard about him before today. Mr. Donavinci is by no means a criminal, and he is not a money hungry tyrant. He's a businessman, a businessman that made a very beneficial instrument."

"Mr. Donavinci was born forty years ago and raised on the outskirts of Rome. Any guess to who this man's grandfather was?"

Again, the group at the table shook their heads and continued looked on interestedly, "Try Dragomir Gregorovich, the Bulgarian wand maker."

"What?" Harry asked, "Gregorovich had kids?"

Sirius nodded as Remus began to hand out the folders, "He had a daughter with a woman who died during labour. Afterwards he sent her to live with his second cousin in Rome so he could focus more on his work."

"Such a caring father," muttered Fred and George sarcastically.

"Anyway, his daughter eventually grew older and married a muggle merchant by the name of Pierre Donavinci, and they had a single son, Claude. Claude grew up with similar characteristics of his grandfather and soon enough graduated from Durmstrang and was on his way into the wand making business." Harry started thumbing through the packet once Remus laid it before him and found various certificates, photos, and other papers related to Donavinci.

"This is lovely and everything," Draco started, looking down to his expensive wrist watch, "but can we get this show on the road? I've got an appointment soon."

Ginny snorted in disgust, "Keep your kit on Malfoy."

Draco smiled at her, "Or I could take it off and you can join me upstairs later-"

"Enough," Ron said quickly not wanting to here any more of Malfoy's pick up lines at his sister. If they were back in school and Ron would of heard something like this directed at his sister, he wouldn't hesitate to pound Malfoy's face and give him a good hex or two.

"Right," Sirius said, shooting Draco a look telling him to relax. "As I was getting to, Donavinci soon started experimenting with tools and other magical instruments in the after hours of his mediocre wand shop and eventually formulated a blue print of what our mission today is based off of."

"Take a look at the blue print in the folder," Remus pointed towards their cream coloured folders and watched as everyone took out the sheet, "This invention was not intentional, but could be used as a very powerful... not weapon exactly... but a source of knowledge that could have a positive or negative effect." He paused and let everyone absorb the information, "What you do is put the wand in question, any wand from anywhere, into the case. Once the case is closed it will start processing the full history of the wand. After it's done, the case will open, and the history will present itself in a documented format."

Draco raised his eyebrows, "That is quite the invention... and he's selling it because?"

"That's not important to us, we can only speculate it's to prevent run-in from the Italian law. They're very uptight about inventions that could be used to invade someone's privacy or it could simply be to keep his name out of the spot light. He'd be a common name to wizarding criminals if they got wind of him and his special invention. Remember, Donavinci is by no means a criminal and we don't reckon he's too keen on becoming one."

"Well, just think if the Italian Ministry got a hold of this, it'd be a hell of a lot easier to pin point a criminal due to their wand records. Why isn't he selling it to them?" Ginny interrupted, again looking at the blue print.

"Again, that's not our concern. What is our concern though is that something like this could be very beneficial to us."

"So we're going to buy it? That's what this meeting is about?" Draco scoffed, folding his arms over his chest.

"No, we're not going to buy it," Sirius sneered back. Over the years he'd come to common grounds with his third cousin, but there were times when he couldn't stand the little prick, "We're going to steal it from the bastard who thinks he will be buying it."

"And who is that?" Fred and George asked with smiles.

"Remember Jordan Pinns from a year ago?" Remus asked with a raised eyebrow.

Fred and George laughed, "Oh the little bugger's out of Scotland Yard already?" Jordan Pinns was an accomplice to a crime that the Order was investigating a year ago. After busting up the wizarding group Pinns was associated with they realized that Pinns was but a mere squib, carrying around an actual stick pretending it was a wand. To make a long story short, Jordan Pinns became the laughing stock of the Order and the morning after the bust woke up in Scotland Yard, not being able to remember the past week, missing a testicle and a rainbow tattooed on his chest.

"Yes he is, and we can only guess that he'll be wanting to get back in the circuit of wizards."

"Even with his play stick?" Fred cracked making the rest laugh.

"Word is that he's joined up with an old Slytherin who's trying to gain some credit on the streets," Sirius said. "They're probably treating the poor bloke worse than we did."

As the rest of the table laughed, no one seemed to notice Harry frowning in the corner, "This doesn't make sense."

The table looked at him with confused expressions, "What are you on about mate?" Ron asked.

"I mean... he didn't want word to get out to the public that he was in possession of this, but then how did a ex-con know it was being put up for auction?"

"Again, we can only speculate," Remus shrugged. Harry didn't like 'only speculating' and he had a feeling in the pit of his stomach that, like last night's mission, this wouldn't turn according to plan.

"-but Pinns won't be the only one there looking to buy it. There's also a couple from," Remus checked back to the folder, "Wales that is interested in buying it. Supposedly Donavinci and this couple, the Haines, have never met so it'll be easy to manipulate their personas."

"Who'll be going in for the Haines?" Draco asked, clearly interested. Obviously since Ginny was the only girl she'd have a part and Draco wasn't hesitant on spending some quality time as a 'couple' with her, even if it was pretend.

Sirius and Remus shared a look before turning back to the group, "Ginny, Harry? You up to it?"

Ginny and Harry shared a look and smiled, "Definitely."

"Great," Sirius continued, ignoring the pointed glares of Draco, "Alright, well Donavinci will be arriving today at..."

---

"Do you all understand your roles?" asked the sombre voice of Father over the intercom.

The four individuals gathered around the long meeting table voiced their consent and started to gather up the papers and folders that contained the research for their next mission.

"Good. Miss Troy, I trust everything will run smoothly under your eye?"

Hermione was a bit surprised at the direct question, "Um, yes Father. I can assure you everything will go according to plan. If there are any surprises they will be handled and immediately put under control."

"Music to my ears, Miss Troy. Do me a favour will you?"

Sienna and the other two agents in the room stopped to stare at Hermione, but Hermione looked just as confused, "Yes sir?"

"There's a portkey waiting for you on your desk. I think it's time you and I had a little chat face to face."

Hermione's jaw dropped. She shared a wide eyed look with Sienna before turning back to the intercom and taking a deep breath, "Yes sir, I'll be there shortly."

"Very good," Father finished before the line over the intercom went dead.

"Holy hell Troy!" exclaimed one of the men that had been on the team for a few years, "He's never invited anyone to see him!"

"Really, what did you do that was deemed so special?" asked the other man rather snobbishly.

Hermione shook her head, speechless. She couldn't help but wonder if this invitation was a good thing or a bad thing. What if she had made a mistake? Or mistakes? What if Father thought it was time to sack her?

Raising her eyes, she saw Sienna who looked just as baffled, but she managed to muster a comforting smile, "Well go! And you better tell me everything when you get back."

Hermione nodded her head and took a shaky breath, "Alright, relax," she muttered to herself as she walked out of the meeting room and into her shared office with Sienna. Sure enough a golden feather was lying on top of her desk.

After throwing her folder down, straightening her skirt, and then checking her hair in desk side mirror she was ready to grab the golden feather. She felt the normal hook behind her navel as she was propelled forward into a hurricane of emptiness.

Landing gracefully, as she always did, she again straightened out her skirt and took a look at her surroundings. An eyebrow quirked upwards on Hermione's face as she got a glimpse outside a large window... that faced out towards the building she just came from.

Walking closer, she realized that she could see silhouettes moving through the darkened window on the top floor- the floor that she and the rest of the agents worked on.

"Tell me, do you like the view?" asked an aged British voice with a light chuckle.

Hermione quickly spun around and clasped her hands behind her back to appear professional. Her eyes quickly scanned the remaining space and finally found a large leather chair behind a classic mahogany desk where she could spy a tuft of white hair poking out from the top.

"It's very clever of you sir," Hermione spoke in a calm professional tone.

Father chuckled again from behind his desk, "That it is. You can't expect me to keep a good eye over my children if I am thousands of miles away in a foreign country- perhaps laying on a beach and enjoying a nice cup of brandy, can you Miss Granger- or do you prefer Mrs. Evans?"

Hermione looked taken aback since usually he called her 'Miss Troy' , "Whatever you prefer, sir."

"Don't worry, Mrs. Evans, knowledge of your marital status will not be going beyond these walls."

"Thank you sir," she said, not expecting much less. Surely Father knew what a compromising situation the whole agency could be put in if word got out that she was married to some muggle Brit.

"Now, Mrs. Evans, have you any idea why I brought you here?"

"I'm guessing it's something of importance since no one's ever been invited into your presence sir," Hermione replied, getting a bit more comfortable with the environment.

Father chuckled and started to spin around in his chair. Hermione held her breath as for the first time in her life, her eyes laid upon her boss and mentor of nearly the past seven years.

He smiled kindly at her, "You are much more beautiful in person."

Hermione blushed as she continued to gaze at Father's warm wrinkled face and his welcoming hazel eyes.

"Thank you sir."

Father nodded and motioned for her to sit down in the seat in front of his desk. With a smile, he continued, "And you've made me extremely proud of what you've accomplished here, especially considering that you were barely out of your teens when we discovered you."

Hermione couldn't stop the smile from developing on her face, "Thank you."

"You know... I see a lot of myself in you, Mrs. Evans." At the confused look on Hermione's face he continued, "In the sense that we were both young when we started our careers. Both ambitious and successful- you're who I imagine taking over for me when I retire."

Hermione's mouth fell slightly. Was he implying what she thought he was implying?

"Sir?"

"Mrs. Evans, my health isn't what it once was. I'm finding it more and more difficult to even wake in the mornings, let alone get out of my bed."

Hermione stared at the man in front of her, wondering how this could be happening. Her, and all of the agents working for him, saw Father as invincible. As if he would always be the sole director of the business.

"H-have you seen a doctor sir? Maybe they could give you a little more insight on what's going on- they could help you," she suggested quickly.

Father chuckled again, "I'm not a young sprog anymore, these new healers wouldn't do me any good. I know what's killing me and it's not any medical condition..."

Hermione didn't know what to say. This man had been a constant for her whole career and now it was as if he was just... giving up...

"Sir-" she tried, shaking her head to clear away her thoughts.

Father held up a hand, "Mrs. Evans there's no cure for age. I've lived my life to the fullest and I have a thriving business to thank for that." There were a few moments where Father just nodded to himself, "My decision to retire is final."

Hermione took a breath and looked into Father's eyes, "But that's not all, is it?"

Father chuckled, "Quite the inquisitive one, but you are correct, that's not all. Like I've said before, you are an amazing and tenacious agent and you represent the reputation I've always wanted for this company."

"And?" Hermione said, not wanting him to know how affected she was by his praises.

"And when you're a successful practitioner in this business for as long as you have been, things start to change, opposing forces start to catch on, they start to predict your next moves. Mrs. Evans, you've been a high ranking agent here for a while now... and I think it's time for you to move on."

Hermione sat back in the chair with a baffled look. What the hell was he trying to say?

"Sir?" she asked, prompting him to elaborate.

"You know how I'm always open to expanding my empire. I've decided to open a new office in Los Angeles. Do you think you're up to running it?" he finished with a smile.

Hermione's eyes widened, "Me? Out of all your employees, you want me?"

Father chuckled, "I think I've made myself clear that I wish for you to take over once I pass. I don't feel strongly for blindly throwing you into the job, so you can run the L.A. office, and when I die, if the job's still appealing, you'll take over my entire realm."

Hermione looked down into her lap, her mind doing some quick thinking over Father's proposal. "This isn't just because I'm a good agent to you though. Like you've said, other organizations are starting to recognize my techniques, aren't they?"

Father looked over to her, studying her expression. Hermione didn't cower under his gaze, but matched it perfectly.

"I don't know that for sure, but there have been a few close calls and we can't afford any mistakes. Last night was a perfect example."

"So... this is your way of getting rid of me?" Hermione asked with a little more determination in her voice. "To not let me work the field anymore?"

"I'm not getting rid of you by any means. I'm promoting you. If you decide to take this position in America, then you'll be in constant contact with me- I'd be available whenever you needed me and you'd also get to work the missions."

"But ultimately... you're trying to tell me that my career as an agent here is through," she said morosely, her eyes focused on the hands clasped in her lap.

"You're too good of an agent to have to rebuild yourself, only for the sake of staying in the same location," Father said in a comforting tone, not wanting her to think she wasn't wanted there. "Surely you know that. If you continue to work here, other agencies will start to follow your strategies, and it can only end in you or your team members being hurt."

Hermione nodded. She couldn't argue with that. He was right- last night was a perfect example, and really, her and Sienna were lucky they weren't wizards and that they didn't know who she and Sienna were.

She sighed and looked back at Father, "So, you're saying if I want to stay with this agency, the only way for me to do that is to move to the Los Angeles firm?"

Father nodded with a comforting smile. She looked away again before speaking, "So what's the catch?"

"How do you know there is one?" laughed Father.

Hermione smiled, "There's always a catch."

"You're right... there is a small catch that would be vital."

"Not so small then?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

Father chuckled, "It entails somewhat of a new identity..."

Hermione frowned instantly, "But what about my husband-"

"What husband? If you move on to the new office you will once again be Miss Hermione Granger."

Hermione's froze. She hadn't been seen as Hermione Granger in the public eye since she left the French embassy, from there on civilians referred to her as Hermione Troy- her cover name, or back home as Hermione Evans- Harry Evans' wife.

There were a few more seconds of silence before Hermione started shakily.

"S-so… you want me to get a divorce?"

Thank you's to my two wonderful beta's Cosmo and Ahsun.

Okay, so now with the paranoia:

1. Father calls Hermione 'Miss Troy' in front of the other agents because the other agents don't know Hermione as 'Granger' or that she's married. The only ones that do are Sienna and Father- that's why they choose to call her that when they are in private.

2. I know. Okay, I know that 'Father' is extremely cliché but, as I explained to my beta, the film Charlie's Angels was the first I ever worked on when I moved to the States so I couldn't resist. I hope it doesn't disgust many of you and I also hope all of you are picturing Anthony Hopkins as him, and if you aren't- shame on you.

3. With Jordan Pinns and the rainbow tattoo-- there's actually a very funny story with that, concerning my mate and my daughter when she was about three. And if you review I'll tell you about it…

MUWAHAHA, BLACKMAIL AGAIN!

4. Some of you will ask about Ginny… and I answer with a 'no comment' until next chapter ;] If you want to hear my version of her and Harry's back story then I'll answer that but otherwise you'll get a huge slap to the face.

Again, it's a good theory to get you to come back for more :]

And you guys, the reviews were OUTSTANDING. This again just proves to me how AMAZING my readers are and I hope you really understand how much I appreciate every single one of them and how they all put a huge grin on my face. All in all, I LOVE YOU! And keep it up. (Again, notice how I'm starting to become consistent with updates and longer chapters ;] If you make the effort, then I will too!)

Now, REVIEW! Get me over 150!