Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Muggle-born Uprising by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Muggle-born Uprising

witowsmp

Chapter Two - Potter Manor

July 31st - Potter Manor

Harry Potter, the fifteen-year-old teenager who had secretly killed Voldemort about a month before, was facing a new challenge, one that he felt would be much more difficult. He pulled out his eight and a half inch wand made of Ebony and unicorn hair, and aimed it at the person opposite him.

"I've been waiting a long time for this," he said without emotion.

"It was inevitable," the other person, who was now aiming her wand at him, replied just as coldly.

Harry grinned, "On three, Mine. One."

"Two," the now smiling girl said.

"Three," the couple said together as beams of silver light shot from the end of both wands, meeting in the middle, combining and changing colour, sending a red beam of light at their observer - a man with white hair and a long white beard, who was standing about ten feet from them with a Protego shield raised. The amplified stunning spell impacted his shield, breaking it on contact and ramming into Dumbledore's chest, knocking him to the floor, unconscious.

-

It was Harry's fifteenth birthday. For just over a year, he had been living at Potter Manor, his ancestral home, with his godfather, Sirius Black, after escaping his evil guardians, the Dursleys, whom Dumbledore had placed him with since his parents were killed.

During the last few months of the previous term, Dumbledore had offered to apprentice Harry and his girlfriend, Hermione Granger, to help them in the fight against Lord Voldemort. They had also been training during the year. During their training, they became Animagi and had learnt how to apparate.

Things were changed when Harry was entered into the Triwizard Tournament, and during the final task, was sent via Portkey to a graveyard where Barty Crouch Jr. and former Hogwarts Potions Master and Head of Slytherin House, Severus Snape, were bringing Voldemort back from the dead.

With the help of his training, Harry was able to kill Voldemort, and when Hermione came to his rescue, they finished off his Death Eaters. Dumbledore advised them to keep the whole experience a secret. He saw no need to cause a panic over Voldemort returning when he was already dead.

He still offered to apprentice them at Potter Manor during the holidays. Underage magic was undetectable there. They took him up on the offer, because they never knew when the magic Dumbledore knew could be useful and it was no secret that the Hogwarts headmaster wasn't getting any younger. He was approaching his 124th birthday.

In addition to the apprenticeship, Harry and Hermione were continuing to train Neville and Ginny in advanced magic. Ginny had mentioned that Ron had seemed jealous about her being able to get the extra practice at Potter Manor.

-

"Renervate," Hermione said, pointing her wand at Dumbledore. He woke up and Harry helped him up.

"Are you alright, sir?" he asked.

"I'm quite alright, thank you, Harry. I must say I'm impressed and embarrassed. I've never been bested by two fifteen year olds in a duel before, and no stunner has ever penetrated my shield charm. I'm very impressed with you for sharing and combining your powers. I've tried to teach it before, but the students were never able to pull it off."

Dumbledore put his wand away, and Hermione noticed something when he did. Being ever inquisitive, she had to comment on it.

"Sir, I noticed you have a different wand. Is there something wrong with your old one?" she asked.

"Oh, this? This is my original wand. It's been a while since I used it, and thought I'd try it out in a duel. When I defeated Grindelwald sixty years ago, I won his wand. It is a rather special wand, and I'll tell you about it sometime, but first I just need to find the right book."

Harry and Hermione put their wands away in their holsters as Dumbledore made his way to the fireplace.

"I am proud of the way you two have turned out in your training. I see no point in continuing it after the end of next week. I've taught you everything I can teach you and you picked it up better than I expected," he began.

"Thank you, sir," the young couple replied to him.

"I'll be back this evening for your birthday party, Harry. I have a few urgent matters to deal with at the school." He took some floo powder out of a bag attached to his belt and threw it into the fire. "Headmasters Office, Hogwarts." The familiar green flames came to life and Dumbledore stepped through it.

Hermione took Harry's hand and kissed him. "That was impressive, Hero. I never thought we would beat Dumbledore, of all people, in a duel," she said. The couple took showers to refresh themselves then went to the dining room where Dobby had prepared lunch. After serving the young couple, Dobby went back to the kitchen where he was preparing food for the birthday party that evening.

As Harry and Neville's birthdays were a day apart, they were having a joint birthday party at Potter Manor. Molly Weasley and Neville's grandmother were flooing over later that afternoon to help prepare - both were preparing cakes. Dobby had told them that he could do it, but the two parent figures had to compromise with him. They said he could prepare the rest of the food while they prepared the cakes. He had agreed to that.

Sirius was visiting some Muggle stores in London. He had told Harry that he needed to find something important for Professor Brooks, and Hermione told Harry that she suspected he was going to propose.

The floo activated and Hermione's parents, Adam and Marissa, came through carrying some presents. Hermione led them to the library. One by one, the Weasley family, along with Susan Bones, came through, also with presents. Fred and George had evil in their eyes. Harry waved a hand and as the twins tried to leave the main room, the door closed in front of them.

"Are you two planning any pranks?" Hermione asked after Harry whispered to her about what he did.

"Busted," George said.

"Please put them on that table over there, Gred and Forge. You'll get them back when you leave," Harry said. The two Weasley pranksters complied, and they were allowed to leave the room.

Neville and Augusta Longbottom came through next.

"Good afternoon, Madam Longbottom," Harry said, kissing her hand.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter, but you can call me Augusta. I must say I'm impressed with the help you've given Neville. He's shown me several Pensieve memories of your training sessions, and I've had a lengthy letter from Professor Dumbledore about his new talents. He's beginning to be like his father now."

"It's no problem at all. Neville has always been there since I started Hogwarts and I consider him more of a friend than Ron Weasley. At least with Neville, not every conversation involves Quidditch."

"Yes, Neville told me you are excellent at Quidditch."

"Don't get me wrong; I enjoy Quidditch, but I don't enjoy talking about it non-stop."

-

Dumbledore returned that evening as promised with presents. They were placed in the library with the rest, and just as everyone was about to leave the room, the floo activated and Bill Weasley came through with Fleur Delacour. Moments later, Oliver Wood, Angelina Johnson, Alicia Spinnet and Katie Bell - Harry's fellow Quidditch team members - came through. Finally, Cedric Diggory and Cho Chang entered the room. They apologized for being late. They went into the dining room where Dobby had bottles of butterbeer out.

Dumbledore got a couple of envelopes out of his pocket. "Before we allow the birthday boys to make a great deal of mess opening their presents, I would like to give Harry and Hermione these. There is also one for you, too, Miss Bones, and one for you, Mr. Diggory." He gave an envelope to each of the four who opened them. A badge fell out of each envelope into their hands, and a second one fell into Harry's. Mrs. Weasley looked on in interest.

"I made Prefect, Harry!" Hermione shrieked.

"I did, too, Hermione!" Harry replied.

"So did I!" Susan shouted

"I've been made Head Boy," Cedric said.

"Well done, dear," Cho said, kissing him.

"Excellent stuff, Cedric," Harry said, shaking his hand, "You've earned it."

"Congratulations, you four," Mrs. Weasley said, although she was slightly disappointed that Ginny, who'd been advanced a grade the year before, didn't make prefect. However, she felt McGonagall and Dumbledore must have had their reasons. Still, she thought, Ginny could still make Head Girl, or at the very least, Prefect, in her seventh year if Hermione made Head Girl.

"What's that second badge, Harry?" Ginny asked.

"I've also been made Quidditch captain. But why?" He looked at Dumbledore.

"We can answer that, Harry," Alicia said. "Dumbledore asked me and Angelina, with us both being seventh years, but with our demanding N.E.W.T schedules, we would be unable to devote enough time to the job. We might as well tell you now that we'll have to drop into reserve positions on the team, but we can help you find new Chasers."

"Dumbledore then asked me," Katie Bell continued, "But I told him that you would do a better job."

"Thank you," Harry said.

"That means both Hermione and myself won't have to try out for Chasers," joked Ginny.

"Why is that?" Ron asked, not catching on.

"Because with me as his best friend and Hermione as his girlfriend, it would be cruel for him to make us try out for the placement."

Ron looked like he was going to curse someone. "What's your problem, Ron?" Harry asked.

"What's my problem? Mr. famous high-and-mighty Harry Potter! Boy-Who-Lived, Triwizard Champion and now Prefect and Quidditch Captain! You get your own way in everything. You even get the girl you knew I liked."

"For your information Ron, I NEVER knew you liked Hermione until you told me. But I wasn't going to dump her to satisfy your selfish needs," said Harry. "Besides, I thought you were happy with Susan."

"That has nothing to do with it," snapped Ron. "I was hoping Dumbledore and McGonagall would pick someone else for Captain because I was going to try out for Keeper, now that Oliver Wood has left," Ron continued.

"And why can't you?" Ginny asked.

"Because I refuse to join a team where the Captain will show bias towards his girlfriend and best friend," Ron said.

"Actually, Ron, I would have had Hermione and Ginny try out just like anyone else, and whoever I would pick would get picked on their merits, not because of who they are! Both Hermione and Ginny know that!"

Ron pulled a face at Harry. Suddenly, bogeys appeared on his face. Ginny had performed a wandless and non-verbal Bat Bogey Hex at him. Dumbledore couldn't help but smile at this. So far, this had been the only wandless spell Ginny had been able to perform.

"If you feel that way, Ron, then don't bother trying out for Keeper and if you are persistent in this, then I will ask for the support of both Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall on this matter," Harry said to Ron in a very firm tone.

"Why don't you just go back to that so-called hellhole at the Dursleys and stay there!" shouted Ron.

"Shut up!" said Harry coldly. His ears were turning pink and his eyes were almost glowing in anger.

"I have an idea - why don't I write to them and urge them to lock you back up in that bedroom with next to no food and bar up those windows. I seriously regret getting Fred and George to help me break you out from there! I should have left you there to rot!"

"That's enough, Ron," said Hermione, trying to stop the fight.

"And one final suggestion - DON'T BOTHER RETURNING TO HOGWARTS - everyone there hates you and your Mudblood girlfriend."

Ron had finally gone too far. All the students there were glaring at him. Most of them took their wands out and pointed them at him. Susan walked up and slapped his face with so much force, he fell over.

"You've even turned my girlfriend against me. Thanks a lot, Potter!"

"You did that with your own words and actions, Ronald." said Susan angrily, "I thought you were different from other people, but you aren't. If you're going to act like this all the time, we're through."

Augusta and Dumbledore sported disappointed looks on their faces. Molly had a look on her face that frightened Harry as she walked over and slapped Ron's face, but not with as much force as Susan.

"Before you ruin Harry and Neville's birthday party anymore, you can go back home," she yelled.

"Fine by me!" Ron shouted. He walked to the fireplace in the library, took some floo powder. "The Burrow!" he shouted and the fire activated and he stormed through it.

Everyone looked shocked as the aftermath of Ron's outburst sank in.

"I'm not going to let him ruin my birthday. If he wants to act like a baby, let him. When he's ready to apologise, I'll listen to him, but it doesn't mean I will forgive him this time," said Harry firmly.

"Don't let that idiot get everyone down. Let's get on with the present opening!" Sirius said. He had returned from his trip just in time to witness the outburst. As if Dobby had heard him, he clicked his fingers and two large piles of presents appeared on the table. Harry gasped. He had never seen this many presents on one table, even if they were for two people. Even Dudley never got that many.

He grabbed one from Hermione and opened it. It was a DVD entitled The Triwizard Tournament. The cover had a good photo of Harry and Fleur on it.

"How did you manage to do this?" Harry asked.

"I borrowed a video camera from Dad," Hermione began, "and I went into the memories of the events and filmed them. Fleur was kind enough to provide the memories of her participation and I used my memories of what I saw Krum doing."

"That is quite impressive, Miss Granger," Dumbledore said while Arthur looked very fascinated.

"I gave the footage to Dad, who put it into his computer and put it all together into a DVD. I watched a copy and it came out brilliantly."

Fred and George stepped forward. "How about you let us sell copies of this DVD? We're sure lots of people would want to watch it. The Muggle-born students can show it to their parents so they know what can happen at Hogwarts," Fred suggested.

"Haven't you two got your N.E.W.T's to think about?" Molly asked.

"We're not returning to school for our final year." George said, "We're both of age and can drop out. We've made a lot of money over the last year, selling charmed Muggle electrical items and betting on Harry winning the tournament."

"So, we've started Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. We're running it by mail order right now, but next time we go to Diagon Alley, we're going to look for suitable premises to set up shop. We have our staff members in mind - we just need to ask them," continued Fred. Molly looked like she was going to hit the roof.

"I'm sorry to do this to you, Harry, but you're going to have to find two Beaters as well as the Chasers and Keeper," George said. Harry's face dropped when they told him that. He was hoping to have the best Beaters at Hogwarts during his first year as captain.

"Don't worry, Harry. You'll still have your Beaters even if I have to drag them back to Hogwarts myself!" Molly shouted.

"You can't force them back to school, Molly," Augusta Longbottom said. "They are of age and they do have O.W.L's. They can do whatever they want."

"But rushing into starting a business isn't right," Molly interrupted.

"If I may voice an opinion, Mrs. Weasley," Hermione began, "Fred, George. I believe you're rushing things. Even if you find premises, you will need time to develop the merchandise. You can't rely solely on charming Muggle electronics forever. What I suggest is that you return to Hogwarts for your final year and conduct some market research to find out what people would like from a business like yours. In the meantime, you can develop your merchandise, and when you finish school, you can establish your business and start selling away."

"That sounds reasonable. If the twins agree to do this, I won't voice any objections," Molly said.

Fred and George looked at each other for a moment. "That sounds good," said Fred.

"We're surprised we never thought of it," said George.

"We'll do it," they said together.

Harry and Neville continued opening presents. Harry had obtained some very rare plants and seeds for Neville while Hermione got him a book on teaching Herbology. It was known that Professor Sprout planned to cut down on teaching over the next few years so she could raise her young granddaughter who had come to her after her mother sadly died in an accident. His great-uncle got him a rare plant known as a Mimbulus mimbletonia.

Hermione and her parents got Harry some more DVDs and games for his collection. They had especially imported The Legend of Zelda - The Minish Cap from Japan for him which Hermione charmed to translate into English. Ginny brought him some new Seeker armour (she got the money by doing some work for Fred and George). There was nothing from Ron (Hermione suspected that Dobby removed it when he stormed off). There was home-made toffee from Hagrid.

-

The present giving went on for hours and cake had been dished out. When it got late, everyone went home.

"Before I go," Oliver Wood said to Harry, "I want to know you're doing a good job as Captain, otherwise I'll be back to Hogwarts to teach you how to do it, myself."

"Don't worry, Oliver. I'll do well, but I won't get the team up at 5 a. m. for practice." Everyone laughed and then Oliver left. Dumbledore walked up to Harry and Hermione.

"Before I go, could I speak to you two in private, please?" he asked.

They went into the library and took seats.

"There are some things going on at Hogwarts you should know about," began Dumbledore. "First thing, the portraits have stopped moving. They are all still as if they were Muggle paintings. Second thing, Peeves seems to have vanished into thin-air. Third thing, the ghosts are now a different colour and seem to have had a change of personality."

The young couple looked interested as Dumbledore told them the story.

"I went into the Hogwarts ward chamber earlier today to check up on the wards and noticed they were severely weakened. I have no idea what happened to cause this. Also, my wand has disappeared, along with that Slytherin ring which used to house one of Voldemort's Horcruxes."

"You think everything is connected?" asked Hermione.

"I believe so. Peeves has haunted the castle for a long time and he wouldn't suddenly vanish. Despite the lack of students, he would still hang about in order to torment Mr. Filch and Mrs. Norris."

"What about your wand and the ring?" asked Harry.

"There is a good story to tell about those. The wand is known as the Elder Wand, otherwise known as the Deathstick. I won it from Grindelwald in 1945 when I defeated him. The ring is otherwise known as the Resurrection Stone. They are two items of three which form the Deathly Hallows, one of legends most told in stories."

"What is the third Hallow?" asked Harry.

"Your invisibility cloak. They were owned by three brothers of a family known as Peverell. I am speculating here, but I think you are a descendant of Ignotus Peverell, who owned the Invisibility Cloak. Your father told me the cloak had been passed down your family. I've seen many other invisibility cloaks in my time, but none like yours."

Dumbledore passed Hermione a book called The Tales of Beedle the Bard. "It should tell you the full legend of the Hallows. It is also possible that Voldemort is related to Cadmus Peverell since Marvolo Riddle was in possession of the ring."

"What about the wand?" Hermione asked.

"It was originally owned by Antioch Peverell. I don't know much about its travel through the ages but I know it was owned by wand-maker Gregorovitch."

"Wasn't he the one who made Viktor Krum's wand?" asked Harry.

"The very same. The wand was stolen from him by Grindelwald before he became well known. I heard that he had obtained a wand of immense power and was using it for destructive purposes. I challenged him to a duel in 1945 and won, and so became the master of the wand. It will only work properly for those who beat the holder."

"So whoever stole it won't be able to use it right?" Hermione suggested.

"No, but the person will be able to use it if he beats me in a duel."

The couple looked surprised. "You may wonder why I'm telling you this. You two are very powerful. Whoever was able to do this to Hogwarts and steal the wand and ring from right under my nose must be very powerful. You may need to help defend Hogwarts against this threat, but whatever happens, they must NOT get the Invisibility Cloak. If the Hallows are united, then the master of the Deathly Hallows will be able to conquer death."

Harry and Hermione looked on in shock as Dumbledore dropped this bombshell. He made his farewells and left to return to Hogwarts.

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

-->