Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Muggle-born Uprising by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Muggle-born Uprising

witowsmp

Harry Potter belongs to the talented JK Rowling, neither me or witowsmp

AN from zeropolis79: This is the last chapter before Christmas and the New Year. Chapter Seven should hopefully be up in the first two weeks of January - it all depends on how much time I get to write (as usual, I'll be spending the holidays with my wife and children at our home in Venice, Italy and spending a great deal of Christmas with my wife's parents, her six sisters and numerous nieces).

Chapter Six

The Sorting Hat's Warning

Vernon Dursley walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, looking for a bottle of whiskey. He had no luck and so slammed the door on the fridge shut. Since he had been dismissed from Grunnings six months before, he had been drinking heavily. He walked up the stairs and made his way to a small bedroom which until a year ago had been occupied by his freak nephew. He thought taking his mood out on him would be a great idea. Dursley kicked the door in and walked in to find no one inside - there was just a bed.

He'd forgotten that the freak was in the custody of his godfather and he and Petunia had signed the papers allowing it. 'What a mistake that was,' Vernon thought. He really hated not having the lawn mowed and breakfast cooked, among several other chores, but now there was no one around to do it. In secret, he had his solicitor draft papers that would allow him to fight the freak godfather to get the freak back. But no matter how many private investigators he hired, he couldn't find out where the freak lived. But then he remembered the date - September 1st. He remembered that four years ago, the freak asked him to drive him to King's Cross to catch the train to the madhouse.

"PETUNIA!" he shouted as he went down the stairs. His wife met him at the bottom of the stairs.

"Yes, dear," she said.

"We're going to get the freak back!" he said.

"We don't know where he's living and his godfather won't return him to our custody," Petunia replied.

"Not necessary! My solicitor told me that we can get the freak back on the grounds that although innocent, the godfather spent 12 years in prison and today is September 1st! We can get the freak from King's Cross then file the papers with the court! He'll get what's coming to him," Vernon said with a chuckle.

"Oh no he won't!" a voice could be heard. The Dursleys looked around to find out who was talking. Suddenly, the air shimmered and Heinzl appeared.

"FREAK!" Vernon shouted.

"So you are the Dursley family. You are the people who think people with magical abilities are freaks and mistreated Harry Potter because of it!" Heinzl said in his loud booming voice.

"Whatever that freak told you, it's all lies!" Dursley said.

"I think not. I looked into his mind and I saw every detail of what you did to him! My mother was murdered because of who I am and I will not allow it to happen again. You are worse than the Purebloods who persecute the Muggle-borns!"

Dudley was on his way through carrying his Smeltings stick. He lifted it up and swung it at Heinzl. As if he knew what Dudley was doing, he reached behind him and grabbed the stick with so much force, Dudley started crying. Heinzl swung the stick and hit Dudley so hard, the boy went flying and crashed into a kitchen unit.

"HOW DARE YOU ATTACK DUDLEY?!" Vernon shouted. Heinzl turned back at him, his sabre-tooth shining in the sunlight. The Dursleys moved back, starting to show fear in their faces. Heinzl reached inside a gauntlet on his hand and took out a knife.

Thanks to charms Heinzl placed on the house beforehand, no one heard the Dursleys' screams. No one missed them either, and it was several weeks before their bodies were discovered.

-

Harry and Hermione crossed through the barrier at King's Cross into Platform 9 ¾, completely unaware of what was happening at the Dursleys. Hermione's parents went next, followed by the Weasleys. Since the attack on the Longbottom family, Heinzl had been quiet.

Ron looked around and saw Susan and went up to her. He had decided to try and make things up with her. He had yet to apologize to Ginny, Harry and Hermione. The trio were refusing to speak to him.

After promising to write to Adam and Marissia Granger, the trio along with Neville boarded the Hogwarts Express and found an empty compartment. They stored their stuff in it, and then Hermione turned to Ginny and Neville.

"Can you look after our stuff please? Harry and I have to attend the Prefects meeting," Hermione asked.

"Sure," Ginny answered.

-

Harry and Hermione entered the Prefect's carriage. Cedric Diggory was there (as Head Boy) along with Cho Chang (6th year Ravenclaw Prefect), Susan Bones (5th year Hufflepuff Prefect), Blaise Zabini (5th year Slytherin Prefect), Daphne Greengrass (5th year Slytherin Prefect) among others.

"Welcome to our new Prefects," Cedric began. "You have been chosen for this position by Dumbledore and the Heads of House because they feel you are the best people for the job. It is your job to help enforce the rules. Prefects have the power to deduct House Points and assign detentions. Please, don't abuse your position; otherwise your prefect badge will be taken away."

A Ravenclaw 6th year Prefect stood up. "I understand at the end of last term, Draco Malfoy came out of the closet. He told everyone on the train about the true nature of the relationship he has with Crabbe and Goyle. Something like that isn't widely done. In my time at the school, he's the only person I know to have come out as gay. Cedric, I think you should award some house points for his bravery when term begins."

Everyone laughed, even Cedric. She was referring to the results of the prank Harry and his friends had pulled on Draco, Crabbe and Goyle on train ride home.

Cedric turned serious. "If anyone asks about the ghost, Heinzl, please tell them that there is hopefully no need to panic and they should be safe from him at the school."

-

Harry and Hermione returned to their compartment after finishing their patrol to find Ginny and Neville snogging. They sat down but their peace was interrupted moments later when Draco Malfoy stood in the door of their compartment.

"I know it was you," he said to them.

"What was us?" Hermione asked.

"I know you set that ghost on my family along with Crabbe and Goyle's families! As soon as I can prove it, I'll have you in Azkaban faster than that. But for a start, I'm going to ensure you two lose those Prefect badges!"

"Why don't you stop acting like a spoiled brat, Draco. Here's an idea, why don't you go and find Crabbe or Goyle and give them a good snog?" suggested Hermione.

"Why don't you shut up you filthy Mudblo…" Draco's threat was silenced when he fell to the ground in pain. He had forgotten about Heinzl's modification of the Cruciatus curse which would be triggered every time Malfoy used the term Mudblood.

"Draco, I forgot to say congratulations on coming out last term. I understand the Head Boy is going to award you some house points during the feast for your bravery," Harry said. Everyone laughed, including Ginny and Neville who had stopped kissing when Malfoy entered the compartment.

Malfoy quickly left. He bumped into Ron.

"Watch what you're doing, you blood traitor," Malfoy said.

"I saw your confrontation with Potter and Granger. They've caused me nothing but hell all summer. First they cost me my girlfriend and then Potter cost me my rightful spot as Gryffindor Quidditch Captain and Keeper."

"I didn't think you were a member of the team, Weasley."

"I wanted to be a Keeper this year but since Potter was made Captain, it is now impossible. He will give his Mudblood girlfriend and my traitorous sister Chaser positions without even making them tryout."

"Never thought I'd hear you use that term."

"Mudbloods are the bane of the Wizarding world. They should and must be exterminated!" declared Ron.

"Be careful! If that ghost hears you saying those things, he'll kill you!" Malfoy said.

Little did they know but Heinzl was in the corridors of the train, invisible. With a shimmer, he materialised in front of the duo. Before either of them could do anything, Heinzl raised his hand in front of Ron.

"CRUCIO!" he said. Ron fell to the ground and screamed as he was tortured. Heinzl released the curse and vanished just as someone came around the corner.

"Potter attacked him!" Malfoy said. The 6th year Ravenclaw prefect refused to believe him.

-

Draco and Ron had gone through the train along the journey trying to blame Harry and Hermione for the attacks. They claimed the Gryffindor duo created a ghost and told it to attack the Pureblood families. They also claimed Harry used the Cruciatus curse on Ron. No one believed it.

"Why don't you shut the hell up?" Justin Finch-Fletchley (5th year Hufflepuff) said to Malfoy. "I thought you would have known this but Harry is the heir to one of the most prominent Pureblood families and his Godfather is the Head of another one. Both of which are more prominent than the Malfoys!"

No one believed Malfoy and Ron when they tried to claim Harry and Hermione were behind the attacks. Some students congratulated Malfoy for coming out of the closet. A few of them even asked if he was going to announce his courtship of Ron Weasley during the Feast. Draco and Ron, enraged, got out their wands and cast curses at the students which would have caused serious harm if Cedric hadn't cast a shield charm in time.

"Twenty points from both Gryffindor and Slytherin and detention for both of you," Cedric said.

The talk of Draco and Ron walking the train together spread through the students very quick. Pretty soon, it reached the ears of Susan Bones.

"The creep! To think I was thinking of getting back together with him! If he thinks I'm going to be his girlfriend after he betrays me with Draco Malfoy, he's got another thing coming!" she said to her best friend, Hannah Abbott.

By the time the Hogwarts Express pulled into Hogsmeade, the rumours about Malfoy and Ron had been exaggerated to the point where someone claimed that they saw the duo kissing in a bathroom.

-

All the second to seventh year students took their seats in the Great Hall. Minutes later, Professor McGonagall led the first year students into the hall to await their sorting. The students could notice there was something weird going on in the school. All the ghosts weren't their normal transparency and Peeves had not tried to pull any pranks on them.

Everyone looked at the sorting hat waiting for it to sing its new song. But they were shocked when it started talking in a different voice.

"Beware Heinzl! Beware! All the houses must unite! Rivalries must be put aside for the sake of everyone. Heinzl wants nothing more than to purge the magical world of the Purebloods who persecute the Muggle-borns! Muggle-born persecution must cease for the sake of the whole Wizarding world! Purebloods, Half-Bloods and Muggle-borns must unite! They must work together!"

Dumbledore stood up. "Sorting Hat - how do you know this about Heinzl?"

"Godric Gryffindor, my creator, told me that when Heinzl awoke, I was to give this warning to the students," the Hat replied. "He will want me to place some of you in his own house when the time is right!"

"Why haven't you done that before?" asked Dumbledore.

"Because Gryffindor charmed me not to do so! But on the night Heinzl entered your office and stole the Elder Wand, the Sword of Godric Gryffindor and the Resurrection Stone, he placed a curse on me! When he orders it, I will have to sort students into his house. I was able to enter his mind when he cursed me and found out he got all the secrets of the castle from both you and Argus Filch! The ghosts of the castle tell me that he gained his new power from the Hogwarts Ward Crystals and the lack of Peeves is because Heinzl destroyed him!"

"Why haven't you told me this before now?"

"Because I am not normally permitted to speak until a Sorting! All houses must unite! For only together can the menace of Heinzl be destroyed!"

All the students were visibly shocked when they heard the Sorting Hat's warnings. McGonagall took a roll of parchment out and started reading.

"Abercrombie, Euan."

A young boy stepped out in front and sat on the stool. McGonagall put the hat on his head, it waited a moment before declaring the boy "GRYFFINDOR!"

The number of first years dwindled until they got to a pair of similar looking girls but of different ages.

"Furlong, Annabeth."

The eldest stood up and sat on the stood. Hermione guessed she was about 15. The Hat was taking its time but decided that Annabeth would be "GRYFFINDOR!" The Gryffindor table clapped as the girl sat down at the table.

"Furlong, Arwen."

The second of the three girls sat on the stool. She looked about 13 to Hermione and co. Unlike her sister, the hat only needed seconds before declaring her "GRYFFINDOR!" Arwen joined her sister at the Gryffindor table.

"Furlong, Serenity."

The youngest of the three sat on the stool, a bag of nerves. The hat was placed on her head. Like her sisters, she was announced to be a "GRYFFINDOR!"

The names continued to dwindle down until a "Zeller, Rose" was sorted into Hufflepuff. Dumbledore stood up.

"Before we get too distracted by our feast, I must warn everyone to be cautious with regards to the ghost Heinzl. We will not tolerate attempts by Purebloods to take revenge for the attacks by attacking Muggle-borns. From what we know of the ghost, he can be anywhere at any time so be careful what you say and do - it may prove fatal.

"I would like to welcome Annabeth, Arwen and Serenity Furlong, who are transferring from the Milan Scuola di witchcraft. I am pleased to welcome back Remus Lupin, entering into his third year of teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts. Sirius Black continues as Head of Slytherin House and Potions teacher. Professor McGonagall and myself have received positive feedback on his performance from many of the Slytherin students.

"Following the success of last year's Yule Ball, I am happy to announce another one for this year. As with last year, it is open to Third Year students and above although a younger student can be invited. There is also a surprise in store for the dance but you'll know what it is when the dance takes place."

-

After the feast, Sirius called Ron and Malfoy over.

"I've been hearing a lot of things about you two on the Express. I have nothing against homosexuality in general but if the two of you want to pursue a romantic relationship, I must insist that you show a bit of discression."

Instead of getting mad, both boys went red. They were too embarrassed to deny anything.

"I've also heard about your attempts to claim Harry Potter put Mr. Weasley under the Cruciatus Curse. Mr. Diggory checked his wand and there were no evidence of the curse being cast. Fifty points from both Slytherin and Gryffindor, and Mr. Malfoy, I'm banning you from the Slytherin Quidditch team."

"You can't do that!" Draco shouted.

"I can and I have. Your future on the team depends on your behaviour, so I'd watch it if I were you," answered Sirius.

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

We are not pro-Dursleys - the way things were described in their scene was looking at things from their point of view.

The Furlong sisters are based on real people - the co-writer's (zeropolis79) three children. He is fulfilling a promise to his eldest to give them roles in Harry Potter fanfiction (his other two are too young to understand, especially Serenity who is only a month old).

The prank on Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle that was referred to was in the last chapter of 'More Important Than Any Broomstick.' There will NOT be a slash relationship between Malfoy and Ron in this story.