Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Menace by Tazer
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Menace

Tazer


Disclaimer: The characters of this fiction are borrowed and used as a tribute to the wonderful world created by J.K. Rowling. They're not mine, never were and never will be. No money is being made on this either.


Author's notes:

It seems that no matter how much I try, I can't get this story out any faster than a three-week period in between. And I also noticed a mistake I had made after re-reading OotP: Ginny has actually heard of the name Grawp, but it hasn't really been elaborated to her, so I'll just claim that she had forgotten all about it.

Phoewolfnix: I know you want to see the H/Hr romance, as well as the rest of you readers. I'm sorry, still too early. But don't worry: sooner or later I'll get there. :)

freak27thatsme: I do know my math buddy. :) 3 fifties and 30 is 180, not 200, that's correct. But Ron lost them another 20 down at Hagrid's. I did say that their little excursion had cost Gryffindor a total of two hundred points. Logically, those points wouldn't have been lost either if they had stayed in the tower. Thanks anyway.

Thank you everyone else who reviewed. On with the story…


*****************************************


The value of owls in the Wizard-world was evident, bearing in mind that the animals were necessary for communication and spreading information and/or other situations. The owls were usually also quite friendly and mostly loyal, in fact, they're sometimes called: 'The wizard's best friend'. That was probably why the negative side of owning owls were not mentioned so often.
Owls could be quite messy sometimes, especially if there was a large amount of the animals cramped in an enclosed space. They moulted all over the place, and their droppings had a strange habit of ending up everywhere: on walls, everywhere on the floor and on their rafters. The owls had a large stack of straw on the floor where they could lay their eggs, but they usually didn't clean out the mess, the birds just buried the mess with new straws. And there weren't just eggshells lying around, but tiny bones after small animals they hunt down during the nights as well. And although owls usually were quiet animals, the noise in the Hogwarts Owlery can be quite disturbing after a time.

It was all this that Harry, Hermione and Ron experienced on a Saturday two weeks after Hagrid's run. They were serving detention in the Owlery, assigned to give the place a total clean up, without using magic. Their wands had been temporarily confiscated so that none of them would try to cheat. Ginny had gotten off easier because she had not known about Grawp, and was assigned to help Madam Pomfrey to clean her shelves. Ron could not stop whining about that Ginny would be done long before the three of them.
'Quit griping!' Harry called down to him from his position. Being the most agile of the three, he was the one who was climbing on the rafters, using a brush to scrub the grime and all the other preferably unmentioned stuff that was stuck on them.

Ron scowled at Harry as he resumed to shuffle and shove all the old stacks of straw down in sacks to be burned. Once they were finished clearing up and washing the floor, new fresh stacks were to be put in. Most of the owls had flown out to be out of the way of their work, but some of them were sitting around watching the three, obviously somehow entertained by the scene and in anticipation to get a clean tower.
'How about showing me some sympathy instead Hedwig?' Harry asked his snow-white owl who sat a bit away from him. She only hooted happily, and would obviously do no such thing.
Ron furiously put away the sack he had finished filling outside the door and was about to start on another one before he threw it on the floor.
'Why do we have to do this anyway?' He exclaimed angrily. 'I mean, there's servants in this school who could this and probably be happy to do it!'

Harry whipped around so sudden that he almost lost his grip, startled. Was Ron crazy? Harry glanced at Hermione, hoping that she hadn't heard. No such luck. Hermione had been busy scrubbing the walls with a long brush, (A tiresome job, but she didn't complain), but was now turning to Ron with a dangerous expression on her face. Ron who stood with his back to her didn't notice, he just went on with his rambling.
'Yeah, the House-Elves. They could do this instead of us.' Harry was desperately motioning with his free hand to tell Ron to shut up, but Ron wasn't watching. 'After all, the dirtier it is, the better they like it. It would be like a paradise for them to spend a day in here instead of us.'

Harry slapped his hand to his forehead in despair as he saw what was coming next. Hermione lifted the wooden-bucket with water that she used to rinse her brush in, it was quite dirty now with all the waste from the owls that had been stuck on the walls. With a determined pace, she walked up beside Ron, and in one quick movement threw the whole content in the bucket over his head.
Ron shrieked in surprise and disgust. After that he was so shocked that he could only stand fixed on his spot and stare after Hermione who silently walked out of the tower to refill her bucket.
'WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM?!!' Ron yelled down the stairs after Hermione when he regained his senses.
'Ron, you know how she feels about the House-Elves and their work without payment.' Harry sighed and went back to his work.' That's why she started Spew in the first place.'

'That doesn't give her the right to do this to me!' Ron spat, wiping his face with his hands. That only resulted in him smearing out the grime all over his face, and Harry had to concentrate to keep his breakfast down. 'I tell you, she's mental! She's been weird this whole term, like she was on a permanent time of month!!'
She isn't the only one that's been weird. Harry thought to himself. He couldn't help but to think that Ron had been quite big-mouthed more than usual this year. And that was another factor to add to Snape's comment that something weird had been going on lately. It almost seemed like everyone in the whole school had gone crazy.


********************************************************************************************************************


There was quite a tension between Ron and Hermione after the three had cleaned themselves up after finally having finished their punishment and was now down in the Great Hall for dinner. Harry and Hermione sat on one side while Ron sat opposite the two, neither of them willing to acknowledge the other. Harry felt relieved when Ginny showed up after a quick Prefect-tour and sat down beside her brother.
'Hi guys!' she said brightly.
'Hello.' The three mumbled back.
'Er… what's up now?' Ginny asked as she noticed the grumpy mode between Hermione and Ron.
'They had a little fallout in the Owlery.' Harry told her simply.
'What? Again? What's with you guys, can't you stay off each other's throats for atleast one month?'

'I would, if she wasn't so bloody mental!' Ron snapped.
'Well, you're bloody insufferable!' Hermione retorted.
'Yeah? Well you…' Ron started before his sister cut him off.
'Lay off, both of you!' Ginny barked. 'You've just got off one detention, do you plan on landing yourselves into another?' The two of them glared angrily at Ginny, but stayed quiet.
'Harry.' Someone then called. Before anyone had time to react, least of all Harry, Cho swept in over the bench and without warning straddled herself over Harry's lap, sitting chest to chest. Placing her arms around Harry's neck, she bent in and stole a long kiss from his mouth.
Harry felt himself go all red and warm as he realized that everyone present probably saw him. He could hear plenty of giggles, but he grinned nonetheless and kissed her back.
Hermione felt an uncomfortable lurch in her stomach and turned away.

'I've been looking for you all day, where have you been?' Cho asked when she finally broke the kiss but did not remove herself from where she sat.
'Sorry love.' Harry said a bit out of breath. 'I've been busy all day. But I missed you.'
'I should certainly hope so.' Cho said, smiling. 'I got something for you.'
'Your undying love? I thought I already had it?' He teased.
'You do silly!' Cho laughed as she playfully swatted him behind his head. 'I'm talking about something else.' Cho dug her hand in the pocket of her robe and whisked out a small paper. 'Ta daa. Tickets! For the train to my hometown, I finally got them this morning.'
'Hey, wonderful!' Harry exclaimed.
'I want you to stick to this with your life Harry.' She said as she put it inside Harry's inner pocket. 'They're hard to come by, and I certainly wouldn't want to miss you in my home for Christmas.'

'Don't worry love; I will guard them with my life. I wouldn't miss it for the world.'
'I knew I could count on you handsome.' Cho said as she once again put her arms around Harry's neck. She was leaning in for another kiss when Professor McGonagall tapped her glass with her fork.
'May I have your attention please?' she called out over the Great Hall. 'In three weeks you will be going home to celebrate Christmas. As I understand, most of you is probably feeling a little awkward ending this term after our tragic incidents.'
Everybody knew that McGonagall was referring to the deaths of Daniel Cody and Lucas Pamir.
'We in the staff have thought up something that hopefully will help you get your mind off what has happened. We have decided to let you have a Valentine's ball in the coming February.'

The Great Hall suddenly erupted in giggles from the females and groans from the males.
'We have decided to let it be open for everybody.' McGonagall continued. 'Dress-robes is required. You can come with a date or you can come alone, the choice is yours. And finally I want to remind everybody who wishes to stay in school for Christmas not to forget to sign the list. Enjoy your meal.'
Everyone was suddenly busy whispering to another about McGonagall's news, and that pleased Harry. It meant that no one was looking at him or Cho anymore.
'Well, that was unexpected.' Cho said to Harry, still straddled over his lap. 'But it sure sounds wonderful, don't you think?'
'I will only find that ball wonderful if you'll be my date for it. Will you please be?' Harry asked.
'Oh Harry, I thought you'd never ask.' Cho answered and leaned in to collect the delayed kiss, and she was not in a hurry to break it.

'Do you two mind?' Ginny scowled. 'Some of us are trying to eat here, and like to keep it in the stomach.' In reality Ginny said that for Hermione's sake. Ginny had seen her friend's pained expressions during the whole time Cho had been there, and couldn't imagine the anguish she must've felt when the one you were hopelessly in love with would not only would go home with another girl for Christmas, but also asked the very same girl to a ball.
'Well… I probably should finish my dinner anyway.' Cho said in response to Ginny's scowl. 'Must get any strength available, I got Quidditch-practice tonight. We're up against Slytherin next weekend.'
'I'll come watch you later.' Harry said.
'Just don't forget to study, dear.' Cho said, kissed his forehead and walked off. Harry was left behind with a stupid grin plastered on his face.

'You're going with her to her hometown?' Ron asked surprised. 'Mum was hoping to have you at the Burrow this Christmas.'
'Sorry Ron. Those plans were made many weeks ago.'
'Well I guess we'll just have to survive without you.' Ron said, shrugging.
'What about you Hermione?' Harry asked his other friend. She didn't answer. She only picked her food absent-mindedly with her fork. 'Hermione? Hello?' He nudged her on her arm, making her jump.
'What?' she gasped.
'Are you alright? You look a little pale.' Harry asked concerned.
'I'm… I'm fine. W-what was the question?'
'What are you going to do during Christmas?'
'Oh. I'm going home. I haven't celebrated Christmas with my parents since my first year, and this time they have demanded my participation. And frankly, I've kind of let them down too many times, I can't refuse this year.'

'How do you think Cho's parents will like you?' Ron asked Harry, ignoring what Hermione had just said.
'I certainly hope they will like me. I am going to ask them of something very important while I'm there.'
'What's that then? Ginny asked.
'Er… can you keep this to yourselves if I tell you?'
'What are friends for?' Ron said brightly. Harry motioned them to lean in closer over the table.
'You probably won't believe it but…' He whispered. 'I'm going to ask them for her hand. I want their blessing to marry her.'
Hermione's fork dropped to the table.
'Gosh Harry. You sure act fast!' Ron said impressed. 'Are you sure?'
'I've never been more certain in my entire life. Cho completes me, and I want her by my side for the rest of my life.'

'Well, let us just hope that You-Know-Who won't make your life too short.' Ginny said, not being sure what to think.
'Merlin, Ginny. Did you have to bring him up?' Ron said angrily.
'I'm just saying that… Harry he's still out there. Are you sure about what you're about to do?'
'I won't let Voldemort stand in the way for any happiness I can find.' Harry said, just as annoyed with Ginny as Ron was. 'If you can't be happy, then there's no point in going on living. Don't you agree with me, Hermione?'
Again, Hermione didn't answer. And this time it was because her place on the bench was empty.


********************************************************************************************************************


The next time they saw Hermione she had totally engrossed herself in her studies, taking up a lonely table in the corner of the common room, and she had a tone that clearly said that if she were disturbed, she would show no mercy to the fool who might be stupid enough to try it. And that was how she was for the whole week.
Harry was really concerned for his friend and wanted to find out what was bothering her - but he didn't dare to push his luck when she was in her 'study-mode'. While Ron was out doing something he didn't want to tell what it was, (Harry guessed he was looking for some snacks to endure his diet,) and Hermione was busying herself in the library, Harry approached the rest of the sixth-year girls: Lavender and Parvati, to try to find out if they had any clue on Hermione's odd behaviour.
'We don't know.' Lavender answered him simply. 'She never shares anything with us.'
'We've been consulting the cards for information,' Parvati added. '-but the required background-hints the cards need for guidance is insufficient to give us any real answer.'

Harry rolled his eyes and regretted that he'd asked the two of them the question. They were on again with their Tarot-cards, convinced that those little thick sheets of paper could actually tell them the future. They had put the cards on the table in yet another weird fashion and were by sheer instinct turning and sometimes adding cards depending on what was on their mind…
'I can see that you still think this is rubbish Harry…' Parvati said to him. 'But that's because you don't have the eye for this.'
'Or the patience…' Harry muttered.
'C'mon Harry, even you must admit that we were right about Daniel Cody?' Lavender said.
'A simple coincidence.' Harry said bluntly, not wanting to think about Dan Cody's body in the water again.
'A coincidence, huh?' Parvati said, now losing her temper. 'Then try us again, ask us anything… we'll read the future and then we'll see if it's just coincidences?'
'I'm sorry I bothered you.' Harry only said and walked away.

'Prat!' Lavender mumbled.
'We'll show him.' Parvati said determined. 'Let's read his near future and then we'll see if there's just coincidences…'
'Yes.' Lavender answered, shutting her eyes and moved her hand instinctively over the large stack of cards… 'Let's see… I feel a strong sensation with… this card.' Her finger landed on a single card lying outside of the stack.
'Turn it over. Let's see what it is…' Parvati urged her friend.
'Oh my goodness…' Lavender whispered after she'd done it.
'Again?' Parvati asked, not believing her eyes.
'There must be a curse hanging over him…'
'Yeah, like a Damocles' sword. But is it him its hanging over… or anyone else in this case?'
Lavender couldn't give an answer; instead she just looked melancholy at the 'Death'-card she had flipped up.

Harry knew nothing of this; he only had his attention on Ginny he'd just spotted coming down from her dormitory. Stopping her, he asked the same question he gave Lavender and Parvati.
Ginny shook her head sadly. 'I do know what is wrong with her… but I can't tell you what it is.'
'Why not?' He couldn't help feeling a little upset over her answer. 'You must tell me Ginny. I might be able to help…'
'That's just the thing Harry. You can't!'
'What makes you say that? Why can't I help her?'
'Because if I tell you what Hermione's problems are, the situation will only turn from bad to worse, bringing on even more problems than the trouble's worth. Trust me on this, some things are best being kept in the unknown!' And before Harry could question her further, Ginny rounded him and quickly escaped out of the common room, leaving a very bewildered Harry behind.


********************************************************************************************************************


The weekend arrived, and with it the final Quidditch-match before Christmas. It wasn't exactly what one could call nice whether for a game: the ground was snow-covered and the temperature had dropped below zero, but that didn't give the players or spectators any second thoughts. Quidditch was the prime game in the wizard-world, and the course of nature would have to do worse than a winter to stop them from dropping a scheduled match.
Almost everyone in the Great Hall was anxious. It was Ravenclaw against Slytherin, and the odds were tipped to the formers favour. Ravenclaw had already played one game this year while it was the first go for Slytherin. That meant that Slytherin would not be at their best condition, and could very well lose today, which was what the other three houses hoped for.

While the spectators filled up the stands, Harry separated himself from Ron and Ginny and went to the dressing rooms instead. He wanted to wish Cho luck, as well as collecting a kiss from her. He had not seen so much of her during the week, because of Quidditch-practice. Harry could hear the Ravenclaw Captain Roger Davies muffled speech through the door; therefore he waited until he was finished talking before he knocked on the door.
'Who is it?' Roger Davies asked.
'Harry Potter. I just wanted to see Cho a short while before the game.' Harry could make out a distinguished grumble from Davies before the door opened and Cho stepped out.
'Hey Harry.' She said.
'Hello love. I just came to wish you… luck?' Harry's smile dropped. Cho looked quite pale, and not as spirited as she used to. In fact Harry could almost swear that she was supporting herself on her broom. 'Cho? Are you okay?'
'Well… no. I woke up this morning feeling tired and dizzy. I must've caught on a flu or something.'

'Are you sure you should play? You shouldn't if you're not well.'
'I can't drop out now!' Cho said looking scandalized. 'We've been practicing for this match as good as the whole month… can't back out… Besides I took a Pepper-up potion, I'll be fine.'
Harry wasn't convinced. He looked at her with a worried expression.
'Harry.' Cho put her arms around his neck before he could say anything further. 'What could happen? Remember, I'm the Seeker? It's not like I'm going to strain myself like the Chasers and Beaters, I'll just sit around and watch after the Snitch. It'll be okay.' And the she gave him a warm smile, and Harry surrendered.
'Would you please let go of our Seeker now Potter? It's time to go to the pitch.' The rest of the Ravenclaw team had emerged from the dressing room, Roger Davies looked at Harry as if he suspected him of sabotaging for them.
'Don't mind him.' Cho said to Harry. 'He's still peeved about losing the first match. Hey, wish me luck.'
Good luck love. I'll be cheering for you.' Harry said, giving her a kiss and then let her go.

The convincement Cho had given him was replaced with doubt again the instant he got outside. The cold was biting into his exposed cheeks and he wrapped his Gryffindor-coloured scarf more tightly around his face. Walking on top of the stands, he soon spotted his friends and sat down beside them. It was then he saw that someone was missing.
'Where's Hermione?' he asked.
'Studying.' Ron, shivering from the cold answered shortly and indifferently. It didn't matter to him where Hermione were, because both of them were still angry at each other.
'She's not really interested in this match.' Ginny replied. 'She's okay with knowing the results afterwards.'
'She's going to make herself sick studying that much!' Harry said, remembering how she was during their third year.
More like she's going to get sick from watching you cheering for Cho. Ginny thought bitterly to herself.

The Ravenclaw team came out to the pitch while Colin Creevey announced them.
'Well they look ready to kick butt.' Ron commented, looking through his Omnioculars down the pitch. 'I wonder if that Git Montague has managed to come up with any new strategies this year?'
'Montague? Didn't he graduate last year?' Ginny asked.
'Uuh… yeah he did.' Ron remembered. 'Then who's Captain of the Slytherin team this year?'
'We'll find out shortly.' Harry said, looking through his own Omnioculars. 'Here they come now.'
The Slytherin team came out to the pitch looking quite smug. Harry zoomed in on them with his Omnioculars: it was the almost the same guys as last year, except that there were two new Chasers. Nott of their year had replaced Montague while another burly Slytherin Harry was unfamiliar with had replaced Adrian Pucey. Crabbe and Goyle were still Beaters.
The players waited at their positions as Madam Hooch walked up to the middle. 'Captains, shake hands!' she ordered.
There was a massive groan from the stands: it was Draco Malfoy who walked up and clutched Roger Davies' hand.

Ginny let out a laugh. 'Really? What does he know about Quidditch strategy?' Unfortunately it looked like Ginny had to swallow her words ten minutes into the game. Malfoy had obviously taken notes on how his opponents played their game and had worked out countermoves that took the Ravenclaw team by surprise. Slytherin was already in the lead with Thirty-Ten and it looked like Davies and his team was totally in the dark on how they should turn the tide.
Meanwhile Harry was keeping a watchful eye on Cho, and he was growing more concerned by the minutes that passed. She was only circulating slowly over the pitch, her head hanging to her chest and she seemed totally unfocused on the game. There was several times when the Ravenclaw Beaters had to come to her rescue and knock Bludgers away from her that she had failed to notice.

A half hour into the game the Slytherins was in the lead with Seventy-Thirty, and a loud roar of excitement came from the Slytherin supporters when Draco Malfoy dived towards the end of the pitch on a straight course for the Snitch, something Cho was totally oblivious to. Malfoy would've caught it if not one of the Ravenclaw Beaters had managed to send a Bludger into his path, distracting him enough to lose sight of the golden ball. Roger Davies asked for timeout after that.
There was a frequent activity from the Ravenclaw team once they were down on the ground, and it seemed to be completely focused on Cho. Harry watched though his Omnioculars: he couldn't hear anything, but it looked like a shame-filled Cho managed to talk Davies into giving her another chance.
Colin Creevey shortly afterwards announced that the game was on again, but Ravenclaw could not advance any more against Slytherin, no matter how much they tried. Cho was now moving more intensified over the pitch searching for the Snitch, but Harry's stomach lurched when he saw that Cho was flying more and more irregular as the game went on and her face was of a pained expression.

Finally, fifteen minutes later Cho actually spotted the golden ball at the other end of the pitch and sped off after it. Draco Malfoy was immediately on her tail.
The Ravenclaw supporters rose in the stands and cheered on for Cho, pepping her to catch it before Malfoy.
'C'mon Cho. C'mon Cho.' Harry muttered. He didn't cheer though, because he had Cho's head in his Omnioculars and saw how her face became even more pale and strained, becoming worse by each second as she raced towards the Snitch. You shouldn't have participated in this game. Harry thought miserably.
Draco's broom, the Nimbus Two Thousand and One was faster and was quickly side by side with Cho's Comet. They were zigzagging at a dangerous speed but Cho was falling behind. Draco gave her an evil smirk before he zigzagged into her side, pushing her and sending her out of control. He didn't even glance back as he raced after his price now free of the competition, and didn't see how Cho lost altitude, crashed into the ground and sent her tumbling over the snow. Cho didn't get up again.

There were loud gasps from the spectators when they realized that Cho was obviously badly wounded. Harry Jumped out of his seat and rushed downwards, showing people out of the way to try to get to her. The teachers that were watching was also on their way down, with Snape and McGonagall in the lead, but it was Madam Hooch on her broom who reached her first.
The rest of the Teachers kept the other students away and no matter how much he tried and shoved people, Harry couldn't get any closer.
'Get out of the way all of you!' Snape's amplified voice boomed over the pitch. 'Clear the path; we must get her to the infirmary! Move, or you'll find yourselves in detention!'
Harry gave up on trying to get to Cho now, because he did not want to get in the way of the Teachers whom were helping her. When the staff had disappeared with Cho, the crowd finally started to disperse, everybody chatting loudly between themselves on what had happened with the Ravenclaw girl. The ones who had been totally forgotten much to their dissatisfaction were the Slytherin Quidditch team who stood gathered in the middle of the pitch and watched everybody go back into the castle.

'Hey! What about us, you maggots?' Draco Malfoy screamed after them. 'I caught the Snitch! We won! Isn't anybody going to congratulate us?! Come back here you lousy bastards!!' But no one took them any heed.
Furious, Malfoy made an attempt to throw the Golden Snitch on the ground, but it only flew away after having been released from his hold.


********************************************************************************************************************


Madam Pomfrey promptly refused to let either Harry or the rest of the Ravenclaw team inside to see Cho. She insisted that she needed to heal the girl in peace without a lot of people running around getting in her way. But she promised Harry that she would let him in the next morning, expecting Cho to be better by then. It was a troubled Harry who dragged his feet down towards the Great Hall to eat dinner. On his way his name was called from behind him. It was Hermione.
'I… I just heard. Is she alright?'
'Madam Pomfrey says that she should be recovered.' He answered her. 'Atleast I hope so. I can't get rid of this feeling that there's something neither she or the staff is telling us about her.'
'She'll get Cho back on her feet, I'm sure about that.' Hermione bit her lower lip. 'Harry, I… I'm sorry if I been a little cold against her.'
'You don't need to apologize to me about that. It's better if you rather apologize to her.' Harry said a little confused. 'Is it about her that you've been troubled lately?'
'Well… maybe a little bit. It's… kind of complicated.'
'But why? Hermione, what's the matter? Why do you have something against Cho?'
'Nothing really!' she answered quickly. 'It's just that I…' She swallowed. 'Harry, I don't know if I should tell you this but I… I…'

'But what, Mudblood?' the drooling voice of Draco Malfoy interrupted. 'Instead of standing there stammering and blocking the way you should just spit it out. Are you trying to tell him maybe that you poisoned Chang yesterday or what?'
Harry's eyes darkened when he spied Malfoy. The fact that Pansy Parkinson, Crabbe and Goyle accompanied him didn't hit him. He only felt this overwhelming urge to put a massive pain upon the arrogant Slytherin. 'You! You did it to Cho! You hit her with your broom and made her crash!'
'I believe muggle's have of way of saying: "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen?" Admit it Potter, she shouldn't have played today, it was quite clear that she was sick.'
'If you saw that she was sick, you could have been a little less harsh to her during the game.' Harry spat.
'Why should I?' Malfoy asked indignant. 'I don't care about bitches that fraternises with Mudblood-lovers and half bloods. She had it coming to her!'

Harry roared as he was about to jump Malfoy, but Hermione held him back, shouting: 'No Harry! NO!'
Ron and Ginny who had just come from a side-corridor had heard the conversation and they also grabbed onto Harry before he would do something stupid.
'Don't Harry!' Ginny cried. 'He's not worth it!'
'I'm gonna kill him!' Harry growled.
'Give it your best shot Potter.' Draco teased as Crabbe and Goyle moved infront of him, clenching their fists.
'What's going on here?'
Everybody froze. Vladislav Malfoy had just entered the scene with Krum following closely behind. The Professor's deep monotone voice and cold lifeless eyes had a very intimidating effect.

Ron was for once the first to regain his composure. 'It was Malfoy who started it Professor. Harry here is very depressed about his girlfriend in the infirmary and the ferret there didn't hesitate to insult her further… He even bragged about how he knocked her off her broom.'
'I see.' Vladislav turned to Draco. 'Have you got anything to contradict Mr. Weasley's statement Draco? Or is it like that you've got no respect for the misfortunate at all?'
'The family of Malfoy has never had any need to show the scum that's lesser than us any respect at all, Uncle Vlad.' Draco snarled through gritted teeth. 'And you know it!'
'The way I see it, you're the one who's still got a lot to learn.' Vlad said, still with a monotone voice. 'And this isn't family, this is school, where other rules apply. Ten points from Slytherin.'
Draco growled at his uncle. But the older Malfoy ignored it. 'Haven't you got anything else to do?' he asked instead with a somewhat commanding voice.
'Let's go!' Draco spat at his cronies. They complied, except for Pansy Parkinson who stopped beside Hermione.

'Tell me, how do you really feel about Cho Chang being out of commission?' she asked lowly, but still loud enough for everyone to hear.
'It's terrible of course.' Hermione said. 'Why would I feel otherwise?'
'Why wouldn't you feel otherwise?' Pansy countered.
'I don't know what you're talking about?' Hermione retorted.
'I know the true story. A girl can see it in another girl's eyes.' Pansy said with a glee. Hermione swallowed nervously. 'It's just so strange… how quickly Cho Chang became sick from one day to another - like some kind of outside interference has something to do with it?'
Everybody looked at the two with an unreadable expression, not really comprehending what Pansy Parkinson was talking about. Hermione looked around at everyone with pleading eyes, like she was begging everyone not to believe what Pansy was implying. Harry noticed that Hermione finally looked eyes with the silent Victor Krum and held them there the longest. Harry wondered what was going on between the two of them.
'You're out of line, Parkinson.' Hermione said forcefully, regaining her senses.
'Most definitely.' Vladislav Malfoy shot in. 'Go with your friends Ms. Parkinson.'

'I can see it in your eyes, Mudblood.' Pansy finished before she walked away.
'Another three points from Slytherin for that insult.' Vlad called after her. Then he bid the Gryffindors a good day before he walked away. Krum, who'd been silent during the whole incident quickly walked after him, writing in his almanac again.
'What was she talking about?' asked Harry turning to Hermione. 'It sounded like you had something to do with Cho getting sick?'
Hermione stared wide-eyed at Harry; she could not believe he'd just said that.
'Oh, for crying out loud Harry, Pansy's a Slytherin!' Ginny said testily. 'What else would they say, it's just like them to accuse someone they have a dislike to! It's their way of making friends become unfriendly amongst each other!'
'I didn't say I believed her!' Harry retorted.
'I should hope so. Forget about it and let's go to dinner.' Ginny said with an end-of-conversation tone. Everybody felled in behind her and they all walked to the Great Hall in silence. But Ginny noticed that there was still a tensing suspicion hanging over the group as they took their seats at the Gryffindor table. And it worried her a lot.


********************************************************************************************************************


It was midnight. Everything was quiet out in the cold winter landscape. And that was to the liking of the dark figure that moved silently outside the walls of Hogwarts castle.
Knowing that no one was around, the being moved undisturbed along the wall as a shadowy silhouette, until the figure suddenly stopped underneath a window.
The being looked up. The window was dark. The room was unoccupied, with the exception of one person. A person who was unaware of the coming fate that was about to befall on her.
The Dark figure felt a special tension inside. There was a task to be done, something that was necessary to do. The dark being had almost waited too long. But now it was time.
The window was about twelve feet up, and the wall was smooth. It was impossible to climb the wall, and it was impossible to jump up to the window. But it was still not unreachable for the dark figure.
It was time.


********************************************************************************************************************


Harry got up much earlier then the rest of his dorm-mates on the Sunday-morning. But it was nothing unusual. The other occupants of the Sixth-year dormitory always used Sundays to sleep in, and Harry himself had hardly slept at all, thinking about Cho down in the Infirmary. But now it was time to go see her. Madam Pomfrey had promised him that he could visit her.
Harry showered and got dressed. He even tried to comb his hair to look more presentable, but to no avail. Abandoning the futile attempt, he proceeds down to the common room and through the painting of The Fat Lady. Not wasting any time, he directed his feet directly for the Infirmary. Once he was outside the door, he looked himself over again to be sure that he did not look like some kind of messy bum. Going over the procedures in his mind for visiting someone at a hospital, he realized he should have brought flowers. But that was no problem for a Wizard. He took out his wand and muttered: 'Orchideous.' And a bunch of flowers burst from the wand tip. Harry thought he should send a note to Mr. Ollivander the Wand-maker, to thank him for presenting that incantation when he weighed wands in his fourth year before the Tri-Wizard tournament.

Looking presentable, flowers in hand, Harry knocked on the door to the Infirmary.
The door only opened slightly ajar, Harry could just make out Madam Pomfrey gazing out through the narrow opening.
'Good morning Madam Pomfrey.' Harry greeted. 'I'm here to see Cho, as you promised I could. Is she awake?'
Pomfrey didn't answer, instead the door opened even more and someone stepped out. That someone was Professor McGonagall, but without the stern expression she usually wore. In fact she looked quite pale and seemed to just have gone through a major shock.
'M-Mr. Potter… Harry…' McGonagall croaked.
The insides of Harry's body felt like they just had been turned into ice, and the flowers he was holding dropped to the floor. Harry didn't need to hear what Professor McGonagall was trying to say, because he could see the very truth in her tear-filled eyes.

Cho Chang was dead.

Author's notes:

I'm so sorry everyone, I know how much you like my version of Cho, and asked me not to let her be dumped harshly or come to harm. But her death was necessary for my story, you will find out why.

Until next time…