Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Menace by Tazer
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Menace

Tazer


Disclaimer: The characters of this fiction are borrowed and used as a tribute to the wonderful world created by J.K. Rowling. They're not mine, never were and never will be. No money is being made on this either.


Author's notes:

Thank you everyone for your reviews!! Some of you pointed out to me that you should not mix different blood types, as it could be quite lethal. This is not a mistake on my part, I'm quite aware of that fact. I'm simply taking a cheap magical way out of that mess, as you will see. Sorry if you don't agree with it.

A reader named Siaru has complained to me that the text go off the screen with no scrolling and asked for a re-format of the fic. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Because I can't find anything wrong from my part, I always double-check so that everything uploads okay. As I sometime in the future will revise this story, I'd like to know so that I can in some way adjust it to work for everyone. (If I'm able to find what in the world I'm doing wrong that is, which I can't figure out. My re-formatting into html always seems to work.)

Anyway, on with the story…


*********************************************


Argus Filch, the caretaker of Hogwarts, was not a very happy person for the moment. Of course, when was he ever? But the reason for his unhappiness this time was because he was sitting on guard-duty in the middle of the night outside the infirmary. He was to make sure that no unauthorized personal entered the room without proper authorization - and to keep a lookout for the wanted young man Victor Krum in case he would show up in the corridors trying to get in to the unconscious girl.
That was highly unlikely: all the main entrances were closed and firmly locked and the wanted man was not even within the castle anymore. If he was to try to reach the occupant inside the Infirmary he would have to climb the outside walls and use the windows - and he would not be able to approach those without being spotted with the Aurors patrolling the grounds outside. So what was the reason to waste his time?

Filch did not believe in those silly rumours about a Vampire running around the premises - he was certain that all those recent deaths and accidents were the result of the students' undisciplined behaviours. If he only could have his way - if he only could be allowed to practice the old ways of punishments again - he'd always felt that Dumbledore was too soft with those disrespectful brats.
Oh, how close he had been last year. His heart was still sore for that lost opportunity. Dolores Umbridge had signed the form for Approval of Whipping - and when they had caught the Twin troublemakers Fred and George Weasley red-handed, he thought he would have the best time of his life. How he had longed to lash their skins - he would have hanged them by their thumbs from his well-oiled chains in his dungeons, he was to savour their cries for mercy… but the morons had managed to escape.

And then Dumbledore returned - and had Dolores Umbridge removed and had the form for Approval of Whipping revoked before he had the chance to administer discipline on somebody else. Argus Filch still cursed these misfortunes - in his opinion, Dolores Umbridge was the best thing that had ever happened to Hogwarts - he should have known it was too good to be true.
His cat Mrs. Norris meowed, voicing her own annoyance.
'I know how you feel, my dear.' Filch mumbled to his pet. 'We certainly have better things to do than sit around here guarding a Mudblood girl. Had the staff only let us have our way, she probably wouldn't be in there in the first place. Life's a piece of shit, isn't it?'
Mrs. Norris didn't answer. Her lamp-like eyes were fixed towards the far end of the corridor.
'What is it? Is someone coming, my dear?' Filch stood up, gazing down the dark corridor. His heart rate sped up. If this was a student breaking the rules and was snooping around the castle in the middle of the night, then soft discipline is damned! He would make the runt regret this stroll out of bed! His fists clenched in anticipation of the thought…
He saw movement, heading towards his direction. He squinted his eyes to try to make out the identity of the person… The midnight wanderer came closer, the appearances became clearer…
'Oh. It's you.' Filch said, not bothering to hide his disappointment.


********************************************************************************************************************


Hermione Granger was feeling extremely terrible. There was a nasty throb within her skull that threatened to split her head in two and she felt really nauseous - she had trouble to collect her bearings. And on top of that: she could barely move - but she didn't dare to even if she could, because if she did move, she would throw up.
It surprised her that she felt all this at all. The last thing she remembered was that buzzing in her mind which had prevented her to escape her dormitory - and then she had collapsed on her bed, where she had waited for her doom. She had expected to wake up into an everlasting nightmare, and to feel an urge to do things she'd never want to do to another living being…
Instead she found herself in the darkened infirmary, still feeling the illness that had been inflicted her. There was no doubt that she still was alive, but she didn't know how that could be? Had someone found her in time and alerted the staff that brought her down here? Could she even dare to believe that there was still hope for her?

Then she heard the voices. They were muffled since the talkers stood on the other side of the closed door - but since the rest of Hogwarts castle was so quiet during the night, she could make out what they were saying.
'No, I can't agree on this.' Argus Filch said. 'I'm under strict orders to sit here until I'm relieved by Mr. Sly. I can not suddenly let you take over my watch without approval from Professor McGonagall.'
'Why, that's fine Argus. I admire your devotion of sticking to the arranged time-tables.'
Hermione tensed up - she knew that voice, and that knowledge sent a chill down her spine! She hoped that Argus Filch would not back down. But the dreaded voice continued:
'But surely you won't mind me relieving you for a while? You got plenty of other things to so, I'm sure?'
'Er… --- That I have.' Filch's voice sounded strangely distant all the sudden. It was a somewhat vague tone with no trace of his usual sour mode.
'Then don't let me stop you, Argus. You can go about your business - just return here in good time before Mr. Sly is due to relieve you.' The other voice said.
'I will.' Filch said in the same vague tone.
'And you will remember nothing of my coming down here and temporarily relieving you.'
'I will remember nothing.' Said Filch as his steps could be heard and then disappear.

So much for hope.
Hermione trembled all over and tried to rise. She wanted to escape the person who where now entering through the door, she wanted to hide - but she was unable to move. And now she recognised that buzzing, the same as before, in the back of her mind under the throbbing pressure in her head. It inhibited her strength. There would be no escape this time.
'You're awake?' the intruder said. 'That's a surprise - no one usually regain consciousness after having that much blood drained from your systems.'
'You should know.' Hermione said in a weak but defiant tone. 'You've been through it yourself once, have you not Professor Malfoy?'
The Defence against the Dark Arts-teacher came into view. He stood just beside her bed and smiled down at her.
'You've known all along, didn't you?' he said in a cheerful tone that was unusual for his otherwise monotonous character. 'Victor warned me that you would figure it out.'
'Yes. I know you are a Vampire!' Hermione had to keep talking. She hoped that someone would come by to check on her.
'How did you know?' Vladislav Malfoy asked her in the cheerful tone he had taken.

'The fact that you never did any magic in any of our lessons! Victor always did it for you! And I remembered something that we learned in our very first Charms-class in first grade: Professor Flitwick told us that it is the living cells that produce the magic within humans. Vampires aren't alive - they have no living cells! Hence: you didn't perform any magic before us because you can't do any!'
'Then how do you explain the incident in the class when Mr. Potter asked me to teach you about Vampires and I called a book to me?' He asked still smiling.
'You didn't. But you made us think you did!' Hermione said, still in her defiant tone. 'You've been mind-manipulating us from the first day you came here - you only had to temporarily boost your control in our minds, giving us the imaginative impression that you used 'Accio' to call that book to you… but it was really Victor who controlled that book, you just wouldn't let us notice it.
'It was Harry's reaction that made me think that something was not right - he already had trouble with Voldemort invading his mind, your doing is not much different. It was his brain that automatically registered an intrusion and that made his scar hurt. Harry did not briefly react on Voldemort that day - he reacted on you!'

Vlad let out his high-pitched, but hollow laughter. 'You really are a clever girl! I am amazed of your ability to analyse every situation this thoroughly to reach the correct conclusion! You are right after all - most wizards doesn't have an ounce of logic in them, and that's what I used to my advantage. That's why I let all the signs point to victor, to anyone else here it was so obvious that he was the culprit - but I could not fool you, I see.'
'It wasn't like I could say anything anyway… your mind-manipulation of us wouldn't let me.'
'That was the point with it - too bad that it wasn't until now that you've actually managed to break free from it, don't you think?'
Yes too bad, she had broken free from the mind-control on her subconscious level once she saw the bite-marks on her neck. But it wouldn't do her any good unless she could tell someone about it. Couldn't somebody come by to check up on her? She didn't know how much longer she could distract Vladislav Malfoy. Hermione was breathing heavily now from anxiety and fear. She couldn't let her hope falter - she had to keep him talking!
'What I don't understand is Victor's part in everything… what hold have you got on him? Does he even know that you're a Vampire?'

'Oh, he knows. He knew from the first time I crossed path with him. You see, my dear - I stumbled upon Victor Krum during one of my travels, when he was trying to get away from a brute that was to collect a gambling debt from him… did you know that victor is a compulsive gambler?
'Anyway, I found the two of them in a darkened alley - and I was extremely hungry at that time! Of the two, I smelled that it was Victor's stalker that had the fresher blood - I fed from him, and then I snapped his neck.'
Hermione shivered. It sounded so terrible hearing somebody talking about killing another being with such coolness - like it was nothing to concern about.
'Victor knew at once what I was - and he knew that I would not let him live since he saw me. You know, I expected him to put up a fight to resist me until his end - at least that would have me respect him. But I had not expected Victor Krum to be a snivelling coward - he dropped on his knees and begged me for his life! Can you believe it - he pleaded to me not to kill him!' For a moment Vlad's smile dropped and was replaced with a look of disgust.

'Victor then proposed to me that he could pledge me his loyalty in exchange for his life - and I thought that over. His blood was useless to me because it's tainted with poisons of alcohol and drugs - but he could seek out fresh blood for me! Victor Krum is my blood-seeker, my dear. You see, I can't stay long at any place at the time and drink blood without raising suspicions - but Victor can go to different areas in my place, study the behaviours of potential victims and lure them to me for feeding and then dispose of them in a manner that would look like accidents. I demanded three years of service of service from him in exchange for his life - after that I promised he would be free as long as he keeps quiet about me.
'It all worked well until we came here. I came to England because I thought of paying my relatives a visit…'
'Does the Malfoy's know…?' Hermione asked. Any question was good to extend this conversation.
'Lucius does. His wife Narcissa and Draco do not.' Vlad answered. 'Only the current Head of the family knows that I'm a Vampire - it's one of the biggest secrets in the clan that Lucius wants to be kept secret.

'Anyway, when I came to the country I read in The Daily Prophet of Lucius' arrest - I also read of Hogwarts looking for a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. It was the perfect opportunity to lay low for a while - so I visited the Minister for magic and - shall we say, convinced him to let me take the post. Fudge actually seemed happy about it.'
'Y-you came here to lay low?' Hermione asked in surprise. 'But I thought… you came here to challenge Harry… to have a go for his blood - to see what it would do for you since he is The-Boy-Who-Lived!'
Vlad cocked an eyebrow. 'Is that what you think? It's not like you to jump the conclusions my dear; I have no interest in Potter or his vendetta against Voldemort. I'm just a traveller who takes the situation where-ever I happen to come by.'
'Then… then why did you make Cho Chang a Vampire? Your kind never makes another unless you have a reason for it? Why if it wasn't to attack Harry?'

'Aah… now I see your point!' Vlad said smiling again. 'That was actually Victor's idea - but I should have realized from the start what his game was. Victor Krum is extremely jealous of your friend, my dear. He has hated him ever since Potter won the Tri-Wizard Tournament and not him. And he didn't like Potter's friendship with you - he wanted you for himself and thought Potter was in the way. He also knew of your affection for him in turn.'
Vladislav's expression suddenly became angry. 'Victor tricked me! He said that Potter was on to me and we needed to dispose of him. That's why he put up Cho Chang for my 'bite' before Christmas, but I was to make her a Vampire. He knew Potter would follow her to her tomb to say his final goodbyes, and we would have Ms. Chang to kill him there. I had a mental link with Cho Chang during Christmas to watch Potter's termination - but he survived! And thanks to somebody named Lupin, Harry learned of a Vampire being in Hogwarts - and with that knowledge, he broke free of my mental control! Victor had ruined everything with his personal scheme and for that; I punished him by letting him take the blame! I had him show Potter Daniel Cody's swimming badge in his possession - making Potter go after him instead of raising suspicions of me.'

Vlad's expression calmed down. 'I was then free to resume my 'laying low'-business without danger of exposure, but I had told Victor to just do his blood-seeking job for me and keep out of Potter's sight - of course he didn't because he was so smitten with you. He always tried to be where you were.'
'So when I wouldn't return his love, he put me up on the list for you to bite - just like the others?' Hermione was really beginning to worry now. She was running out of questions and no one seemed to get some idea of to check on her.
'Yes… I see that you are curious about the others - you're right, their death's is my doing.' (Vlad did not know that Harry had already confirmed the previous attacks to Hermione.) 'When I first came here I lived of the animals in the forest - but that kind blood is not as effective for renewing like human blood. I stole the blood Madam Pomfrey had in stock in her cabinet to sustain me - it lasted until October before I bit Daniel Cody and left the body to be eaten by Timor-Clams to hide the true cause of his death.
'While I roamed around in the Dark Forest in the first month, I stumbled upon Hagrid's brother. It was a too good knowledge to dismiss - and when time was essential it was fairly easy to manipulate that big oaf's insignificant mind to make him step on the remains of Lucas Pamir… laying that blame on him.'

So Hagrid was right - Grawp
is innocent. Too bad that it seemed like that Hermione wouldn't be around to clear his name.
'By the time I bit Cho Chang, I had gained enough control of the whole school to make them miss the obvious cause of her sickness as I could not lay out false tracks at that time. But it all went smoothly and I had now drank enough blood to last me a long time - I did after all have to drain Ms. Chang completely in order to make her an undead. But keeping that mental link with her was exhausting - and around Christmas when about everybody had left, I grew restless. And when I grow restless, I become hungry - I went down and fed on Justin Finch-Fletchley, and then I made it look like that his plant: the Venomous Tentacula he'd been growing had attacked him.'
Hermione dropped a tear for the terrible fates of her classmates. If the Professor took notice of it, he ignored it - he only kept on talking.
'The Centaur Firenze's death followed - but I did not bite him if you thought that. All I did was to force down his mental defences so Victor could put the Imperious-curse on him and lead him into the forest where his own kind dealt with him.
'After those death's, I had drank enough blood to be sustained for a while - and then Madam Pomfrey had managed to re-stock her own blood-supply. I don't need to tell you that I already drank it all - it lasted me through these past weeks!'

Now it was Hermione who took up the rest that had transpired: 'And during the time that passed, the Valentine's Ball went by…' she said with a trembling voice. 'I broke up with Victor - and in anger he told you to go after me next, didn't he?'
'Yes.' Vlad confirmed. 'He nagged about it so much that now that you two no longer saw eye-to-eye, he was certain that you eventually would fully figure everything out, especially after that lesson when I told you everything about Vampires.' Vlad then smiled again. 'It was tiresome to listen to, yet I couldn't deny that he had a point - especially after your brilliant inference about the wooden stakes through the hearts. It was a precaution to silence you - no real offence meant by my part. I actually like you.'
'B-but… I'm not… d-dead? You… you didn't kill me the first time…?'
'I had originally planned to kill you after just one bite…' Vlad's smile now became even wider and his voice dropped to a whisper. 'Can you imagine my surprise when I tasted your blood the first time? It's been two century's since I've came across blood tasting as fresh as yours.'
Hermione started to shiver violently, her eyes widening in fear…

Vladislav leaned closer to her to whisper in her ear. 'People today fill themselves with all kinds of poisons: they drink alcohol and inhale all kinds of vapours - I tell you, it makes their blood bad. Even cosmetics have a habit of getting into their systems, decreasing the quality. But with you - I noticed nothing of those poisons in you… your blood was so fresh, such fine taste, so strong…'
'M-my parents are dentists…' Hermione stammered. 'I grew up learning t-to avoid all unhealthy chemistries…' And the irony of fate was that her clean living was now going to be her downfall. 'A-and I never felt a necessity for cosmetics… I want people to appreciate me for h-how nature developed me - I do not want to be courted b-because of someone taking liking to a false appearance that does nothing but to mask my true face…'
'A wise decision my dear… and very fortunate for me.' Vlad began to gently play with her hair, brushing it away from her face. The gentleness was really disturbing for her - it was a false calming gesture before the inevitable pain would come… it was like a mockery.
'Thanks to your clean living, you have a health factor that's stronger than the rest the average population - it will be most useful to me… Yes Ms. Granger, you will become my Cleanser - my Vampire bride…'

Hermione could no longer hold back her tears… all her hope were now gone as no one would happen to come by and stop him - and she had no more subjects to distract him with. Her fate had been delayed, but now it had caught up with her - the worst part was that she would remain awake through it.
'Don't distress yourself my dear… I admit that it will feel unpleasant at first - but afterwards you will experience a new dimension of immortal life… pain will have no meaning for you anymore…'
'P-p-please…' Hermione sobbed. 'I d-don't c-care about being immortal - j-just kill me and be done with it. But don't… don't make me a Vampire… not a Vampire…'
'I'm sorry my dear… but you're no good to me dead. Undead however… that's where your potentials will be to my complete favour.' And then he gave the shivering girl a toothy grin, revealing the elongated fangs. Hermione whimpered with terror.
With the same disturbing gentleness, he shoved her head a bit to the side, exposing her neck. Vlad opened his mouth widely and leaned closer…
Hermione was petrified. Whether it was from a mind-manipulation or terror made no difference - her body simply refused to respond to any attempt for escape.

This can't be happening, this can't be happening, this can't be happening…
she thought as she felt the fangs painfully pierce her skin and sink into her blood-system - she tried to scream, but no sound came out. Vlad's lips closed around the wound and he began to suck out the warm fluid through the holes…
…and suddenly he jerked away as if he'd been hit by something.
'P-tui!!' Vlad spat out the little amount of blood he had captured. Hermione put her hand to her bleeding neck, watching him wide-eyed and bewildered. There were times when she hated her own thirst for knowledge, but she had to ask herself the question: Why did he stop?
Vladislav straightened himself up while he dried his mouth with the back of his hand. 'Well, that explains some of the mystery - someone has made a blood transfusion with you! That's why you are awake.'
A blood transfusion with me?? She thought to herself. Who would do such a thing for me?
'It's not bad quality, but there's a spell in it that I react to!' Vlad looked thoughtful. 'Must be something Madam pomfrey cast - I guess it's an adaptive-spell to help change the new blood to match your own type… but I don't understand why I'm reacting to it. There are very, very few spells that actually can affect a Vampire.' They looked at each other - both looking strangely lost after this unexpected development of the moment…

'I guess there are always exceptions to the rule - I've never tried to consummate blood with that particular spell before… I suppose that I will just have to wait. Whatever spell it is, it will wear off once its purpose is fulfilled.'
Hermione didn't give any answer to the theory. She was still shivering from the horrifying ordeal, not daring to think of what the Vampire would do now. It was obvious that he was not about to give up… The Vampire leaned closer to her again to whisper in her ear:
'Your blood is very fresh, my dear - the amount which I have already drank has renewed me beyond my usual standards… I can wait for a few days. But of course, I can't leave you here with the your knowledge of me being the one who bit you in the first place - and although you are weakened, I cannot resume complete control of your mind in such short time and I have no wish to do any other external or internal damage to you to make you unconscious again…
'I suppose the only option is that I will have to take you away from here - there are some caves deep inside the Forbidden Forest… You will be safe there.'

Safe? Safe from what? Your abduction of me will only give you safety to not lose me as a Cleanser -
I will never be safe again… Hermione screamed in her mind. But for some reason she could not speak out her objection loud - maybe because she deep in her logical side of herself knew that an objection would be quite futile. Vladislav Malfoy lifted her up from the bed, settled her in his arms and walked towards the window where he stepped up on the window-ledge.
'Aurors are patrolling the ground.' Vlad said without a hint of concern. 'But they are looking for someone walking into the grounds - not for someone exiting a window. This is so easy that it's almost scandalous…' And the Vlad stepped off the window out into thin air - but they were not falling to the ground. Instead it was like if the wind itself had caught the Creature of the Night - they sailed over the forest, gliding silently over the treetops.
Hermione remembered the lesson they'd had: When a person becomes a Vampire, evolution takes a big step ahead as they pass beyond life and death into a new phase of existence, gaining powers that aren't meant for mankind. They can learn to tap into the forces of nature to repel their mass from the earth and propel themselves forward by will, like a form of telekinesis. Thanks to his dark robes, the Vampire travelled in a perfect stealth, flying with such silence that Hermione knew that it was unlikely someone might've heard a slight rustle, even less caught sight of them. She also knew that whereever the Vampire was taking her; it was unlikely that anyone would ever find her.


********************************************************************************************************************


How could things have become so catastrophic?
Ron Weasley thought he was about to lose his wits as he headed back to the Gryffindor Tower late afternoon. It was Saturday, so no lessons were scheduled - that was why Ron had left Harry to go on sleeping after he'd woke up. Ever since he had come back from the Infirmary last night, Harry had not woken up since. But the first thing that had happened in the morning was that the Gryffindors had found their breakfast in the middle of the Common Room - and a big note was attached to the backside of The Fat Lady's portrait: No one was allowed to leave the House under any circumstances!
As the time reached noon, most of the students was beginning to experience Cabin fever. They were confined to quarters and no one knew why, the frustration was so evident that fights were almost about to break out - it took the Prefects all their knowledge to keep everyone calm.

Lunch showed up in the Common room shortly afterwards, together with special instructions to the Prefects to divide the Students into groups to be let out and to be escorted to the lavatories together with some teachers - but no questions asked were answered. Harry was still sleeping.
Finally around five, the Prefects were called for a meeting with the Teachers… and the news were grave. Extremely grave! It was a gloomy bunch of Prefects that walked back to their House, Ron and Ginny were taking the worst toll from the news. And now they had the responsibility to share the bad news with the rest the house - it was a responsibility they wanted to be without.

Entering Gryffindor House, the Prefects were instantly bombarded with questions of what was going on and why they had been locked inside the tower. The two seventh-year Prefects took charge and called for quiet so that they could tell everyone. Ron left Colin and Ginny to help the two oldest to give everybody the updates - he himself went up the stairs to his dormitory to tell Harry personally.
Harry had not left his bed - he was still out cold and was still pale-faced. Ron hoped he had not caught some kind of fever. Ron grabbed Harry's shoulder to wake him.
'Harry. Harry, you need to wake up now.'
'Ugh, leave me alone Ron.' Harry groaned without opening his eyes. 'Madam Pomfrey told me to rest…'

Ron decided to drop the bomb. 'Harry. Hermione's gone!' Harry instantly rose up in a sitting position, glaring at his friend with wide-open eyes. 'What do you mean: gone?!' he demanded fearfully.
'She's disappeared from the Hospital wing! T-there was blood on the sheets… otherwise there's no trace of her.' Ron explained sorrowfully. 'No one can explain how anyone could have gotten to her - the Aurors saw nothing and Filch claims that no one got passed him.'
'Well, Filch and the Aurors are nothing but incompetent fools!' Harry roared as he swung his legs off his bed, ignoring the nauseous feeling coming over him. 'Please tell me they're looking for her…?'
'They've been planning a search-party since mid-day, but they won't start it until we students are out of the way!'
'What does we students have to do with this?' Harry asked impatiently.
'The staff can no longer guarantee our safety here at Hogwarts. We are all to board the Hogwarts Express at Nine O'clock tonight to take us home. They're closing the school.'

Author's notes:

You might have hoped for a longer chapter, but I found that it was a good place to stop. Next chapter will unfortunately be even shorter as it will be a filler-chapter. I only hope that I will get it up on time, because in just one week I will have to escape my apartment as my Landlord will tear out my whole bathroom for a renovation - I will have neither water nor drainage, so it will be impossible to live there. And there will be no computer where I'm going. :(

So how many did I manage to fool? Probably none of you, it was so obvious that Vladislav Malfoy was the Vampire so it was almost disgusting; I really did my best to make it look like it was Krum. But I'm afraid that this is the main flaw with my story - glad you guys still enjoy it though. The information about Flitwick telling First-years that magic is produced by living cells within humans are not in the books - I made that up.

Until next time…