Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Menace by Tazer
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Menace

Tazer


Disclaimer: The characters of this fiction are borrowed and used as a tribute to the wonderful world created by J.K. Rowling. They're not mine, never were and never will be. No money is being made on this either.


Author's notes:

Yipes: some of you readers were really angry with me for what happened to Hermione. Believe me, I hated doing that to her, but it was necessary for the plot. Anyway, once you've read this chapter, I'm sure you will be happy with me again.

Well, not much action in this chapter - but very much boring talk. It will get better later, but then again: you will begin to get what you've all been waiting for in this story… hope you enjoy it.

Whomping Willow Tree: Sorry bud, but if you want Hermione to be a living dead, you're going to have to write it yourself, that won't happen in this fic. (And there's where I gave away too much.)

Kitsune_Bi: Actually, Ginny's full name IS Ginerva and not Virginia. J.K. Rowling has said so herself on her personal site.

Nobodyhead: Of course this is a Harry/Hermione fic. This is Portkey after all.


************************************************


'I feel so ashamed Minerva.' It was strange to hear Vladislav Malfoy talk about being ashamed when his voice was so monotonous - it didn't fit together with his face, which actually did look distraught.
Harry and Ron were in Professor Dumbledore's office that was currently used by Professor McGonagall, the deputy Headmistress. Things had been extremely hectic and confusing after Hermione's violated body had been found in her dormitory - when Harry finally had managed to convince the Hogwarts-staff that Victor Krum was the prime suspect for the attack, several Aurors had immediately been called in to have him arrested - but Krum had disappeared.
Harry and Ron had spent the latest hour telling Professor McGonagall, Professor Snape and the Auror Kingsley Shacklebolt the whole story: everything from when Harry encountered Cho Chang as a Vampire to their recent visit to Slytherin house. It was a good thing that Remus Lupin and even Professor Dumbledore had been in on this from the very start - even more since all people present were members of the secret 'Order of the Phoenix' association - otherwise Harry felt he would face serious consequences for the massive rule-breaking he and Ron had done recently. Of course, he doubted Snape would let it go easily.

As per request, Kingsley Shacklebolt had McGonagall to send word for Professor Malfoy to be present at the office to be questioned when Harry had finished his story - The Defence against the Dark Arts-teacher stood and flipped through page after page in Krum's almanacs that Harry had brought forth as evidence.
'I assure you - and Mr. Shacklebolt, I have been just as deceived as all of you. Never could I have imagined when I took Victor into my service that he in fact was… a Vampire.' Vlad explained. 'But then again: that is what Vampires are good at.'
'I'm afraid I will have to second that.' said Snape. 'Deception is a very common skill among the undead because of their ability to manipulate other persons' minds - the usual side effects is that the victim becomes absent-minded. It all explains the strange behaviours I've noted among the students this year.'

'Is it possible that Victor Krum manipulated you to take him into your service?' Shacklebolt asked Vladislav Malfoy. 'I can also ask: why did you take him into your service?'
'I did it in a moment of pity.' Vlad said calmly. 'I promised him not to tell anyone this, but… Victor Krum is a compulsive gambler. Besides play Quidditch, there isn't much he can actually do - so between the seasons he gambles to finance his own social life, which isn't that honourable. He drinks and party too much.
'As you probably have guessed: neither is he a good gambler. When I accidentally ran into him during one of my travels, he was totally broke and had massive gambling debts. In fact: he had a lot of angry people after him whom he owed a lot of money. I recognised Victor when I saw him, I knew he was young and had a promising career in Quidditch - it actually disturbed me to see him like that.
'So in that moment of pity, I paid all his debts - in exchange for three years of service under me for his part. I was thinking that I would be able to maybe straighten him out, and during this last year it had all gone well… until this.' Vlad sighed as he looked at the names written on the pages again. 'I didn't know this - who knows when and where he had encountered another Vampire that made him into this… thing. Such a waste on a fine young man.'

Just then Nymphadora Tonks came in through the door, or to be more precise: stumbled in through the door. Her foot had caught the last step.
'We've completed the search through the whole castle; Dawlish went through the west wing and Berger through the south.' Tonks said as she balanced herself. 'We had help from all the staff here as well as the Head-boy and girl. They searched the houses while…'
'Nymphadora.' Kingsley cut her off and Tonks became silent looking disgruntled. She hated the use of her first name. 'Skip the details. Just give me the results.'
'Nada. Nicht. Nothing! The guy named Krum isn't anywhere near the premises.' Tonks reported.
'He can't just have disappeared?' Ron said.
'Vampires can, Mr. Weasley.' Vladislav said monotonously.
'He'll be back.' Snape stated. 'He's obviously got a taste for Ms. Granger, and I doubt he will give up on her now as she's not dead yet.'
'Are you certain of this, Severus?' Kingsley asked.
'Vampires usually kills the ones they feed on to hide their identity, they only make new Vampires if they want them for companions or 'Cleansers'. Hermione Granger is still alive - barely, but alive. All it takes is one more bite to suck out the little blood that's still within her, and then she's lost.'

'And you're certain that he will come for her?' Kingsley asked.
'He's been obsessed with her ever since the Tri-Wizard Tournament. He has already been rejected, but I'm certain that he will have her, one way or another.'
Harry sat completely still; taking in what Snape told them all. I should have seen this coming! he thought to himself. It's my entire fault... I left her all alone. I yelled at her and drove her away - and now this happened to her because I wouldn't be her friend. Even Ron sat completely petrified, looking scared of what he heard of the facts.
'Then we must place guards around the ward around the clock!' Kingsley said in a commanding tone. 'We Aurors will patrol the grounds outside. Can I trust the Hogwarts staff to stand guard outside the door to the infirmary, Minerva?'
'We will do everything within our power.' McGonagall said, but not in her usual strong determined voice. 'I'm just not sure it will be enough…'
'It may not be…' Kingsley agreed. 'And if anything else happens, you may have to close this school.' Harry and Ron gasped as Kingsley said this. McGonagall nodded in resignation.

The Aurors left to survey the grounds. Snape threw a vicious glare at the two students before he too left together with Professor Malfoy. Harry and Ron were now alone with Professor McGonagall.
'Your disregard of the school-rules is really getting on my nerves Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley.' She said flatly.
'I'm sorry, Professor.' Said Harry. 'But I did what I felt I had to do. I know that neither Dumbledore or Lupin had meant that I would sneak into Slytherin house to expose Krum - but I had no other options at the time.'
'Did these 'no other options' justify that prank of putting thumb-tacks in Mr. Malfoy's bed?' McGonagall asked sternly. Ron squirmed a bit in his seat but said nothing. 'In Professor Snape's book, you just earned yourselves a month worth of detention for intruding Slytherin house and causing harm on one of his students - but since I'm the head of Gryffindor I… I…' McGonagall's face suddenly lost all stern expression - she slumped back in Dumbledore's chair, her head hanging low.
'Oh, sod it all!' she then said. Harry and Ron looked at each other in surprise. They had never heard Professor McGonagall talk like that before. And to their even bigger surprise: McGonagall began to sob. They hadn't even thought about how hard all of this must've been for this woman. 'What does it really matter? It won't change anything! How can I even scold you when I deep down wish that you had discovered this sooner… then m-maybe… maybe M-ms. Granger wouldn't b-be in the infirmary like t-this…'

Both Harry and Ron knew how deep McGonagall's feelings really went with that - it was no secret to anybody that Hermione Granger was her absolute favourite student, and the fact that she was laying in the Hospital wing in a terminal state really broke the teachers heart. McGonagall was now crying loudly - Harry brought up a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to his teacher that she gratefully accepted.
'It's horrible how out of hand this has got…' McGonagall sobbed while she dried her tears with the handkerchief. 'I was only to fill in for Albus while he was away - and during my regime as Headmistress, I have lost four students and a teacher… and now I'm about to lose the fifth. P-probably even lose the whole school.'
'B-but Hermione is still alive, isn't she?' Ron stammered. 'And surely you can't lose the school just because of some deaths that you didn't cause?'
'Can't I?' McGonagall nearly shrieked which caused Ron to back up a bit in his chair. 'I'll tell you Mr. Weasley, that I may very well lose this school. Remember what I told you about Cornelius fudge wanting to seize the first chance he can get to close us down? This is just it! If Shacklebolt do not capture this Vampire, the school will be condemned unsafe for the students - the ministry will shut us down immediately and send the children home for their own protection. And there's nothing we can do then to stop it if that occurs.

'As for Ms. Granger: yes, she's alive… but for how long?' McGonagall said dejectedly. 'She's a critical case - I don't know what Poppy can do for her.'
'Can we see her?' Harry asked lowly, almost in begging. He knew that Madam Pomfrey would never let Harry in if he would come alone. The acting Headmistress looked at him in a kind of surprise but that quickly was replaced with a look of sympathy.
'All right.' she said. 'I'd like an update myself. Let's go.' The two followed Professor McGonagall close behind. On the way to the infirmary, no single word were spoken - their thoughts were with their friend and respective student that they were on their way to see.
Reaching their destination, McGonagall knocked on the door. It was opened shortly afterwards by a worn woman who looked like have lost all hope. 'Minerva…' Madam Pomfrey greeted softly.
'Poppy. Can we come in?'
'I don't want that many people here…' Poppy began to object. 'She's very sensitive to bacteria's right now…'
'We wont go close to her.' McGonagall said. 'They're her closest friends… they have a right to know.'

'All right.' Poppy gave in. 'But you will follow my restrictions or you'll go straight out!' They all gave their promise as they walked in. Harry's heart immediately plummeted down into his stomach as he caught sight of the only occupied bed. Had he not known that there still was a spark of life left in Hermione, he would have been convinced that she was nothing but dead where she was laying - pale, unmoving. It didn't even look like she was breathing.
'Is there any change?' McGonagall asked Madam Pomfrey. The matron could no longer hold back her own tears.
'She's… she's more dead than alive.' Poppy sobbed. 'And she shouldn't even be alive at all with the little amount of blood that's left in her. There's an unknown force that prevents her from dying…'
'The force of a Vampire.' McGonagall said. 'It keeps her alive until he can reach her for the final bite…'
'A Vampire.' Poppy said. 'Somehow I still don't believe it…'
'Yet the evidence is there… Severus says that it's the Vampire's manipulative force that prevents us from believing it.'
'We should have seen it when Ms. Chang was brought in…' Poppy exclaimed.
'We did. We only forgot about it shortly afterwards. We probably were forced to forget…'

'What are you doing to save her?' Harry asked, tearing his eyes away from Hermione.
'Mr. Potter… I can do nothing! I don't have the resources that I need to save her. Not anymore.'
'What do you mean?' Harry asked, trying to fight down his panic. 'What do you need to save her?'
'The very thing she has lost. Blood! But I don't have any left in stock.'
'Why not?' Ron asked with a voice that already sounded defeated.
'It's been stolen! All of it!' Poppy almost yelled. 'I had it re-stocked shortly after the first theft using up my limit since blood-givers are rare - but that was stolen as well! St Mungo refuses to give me more!'
Harry remembered: it was during October just before his first Quidditch-match when he over-heard the matron telling McGonagall of a theft from the infirmary. He had not heard then what had been stolen, but now he understood what had happened. That explained why it had taken so long after Krum's arrival before a first victim fell to the Vampire.
'Krum has stolen the blood.' Harry said. 'He consumed it to sustain himself before he attacked Daniel Cody.'

'But… can't you take Hermione to St Mungo's Hospital then?' Ron asked. 'Surely they must've more blood in stock there?'
'Although there is this weird force that keeps her alive, it isn't strong enough.' Poppy shook her head in despair. 'Ms. Granger almost died only by being brought down here - attempting to bring her to St Mungo's will kill her.'
'But what about Blood-Replenishing Potion then?' Harry asked, remembering that Mr. Weasley was given that while he was in hospital during Christmas in his fifth year after having been attacked by a poisonous snake and the wound wouldn't heal. 'Can't you give some of that to her?'
The matron let out a heavy sigh. 'It won't work - her metabolism is completely down, the potion will take her for dead and not activate. No, her only chance would be her parents - their blood would save her. But we can't bring them here in time.'
'But a Portkey will…' Harry started but was cut off by McGonagall.
'That's not the problem Mr. Potter. It's the Ministry. Or to be more precise: it is thanks to our dear Dolores Umbridge!' McGonagall actually spat out the name. 'A parent to a Muggle-born child can no longer enter the Wizard-world without authorization from the Ministry! They must apply for an application at least three weeks in advance - no exceptions! Not even for emergencies!'

'Ms. Granger doesn't have three weeks.' Poppy said sadly. 'I wouldn't even give her three days. After that she will be dead, either by the Vampire or by the current blood-loss.'
'That bitch can't do that!!' Harry yelled.
'Oh she can. And she has.' McGonagall said. 'She doesn't want any Muggles running around into our world as they please. It's to 'guarantee our safety to prevent our exposure'.'
'B-but… what can we do then?' Harry was beginning to feel panic again.
'It's just what I already have said: I can do nothing!' Poppy's shoulders slumped. 'I'm afraid that she probably will never wake up again unless someone can come up with a miracle. But if we at least can prevent that Vampire from attacking her again…' she swallowed. '…then at least she would not become one herself. At least then she would rest in peace.'

Madam Pomfrey would not let them stay anymore after that. Professor McGonagall ordered them to go back to Gryffindor tower as the classes had cancelled yet another time. Outside the infirmary, the three of them stood face to face with Peeves. The poltergeist did for once not cackle when he saw them; instead he threw them a mock sympathetic look.
'So sad, so sad.' Said Peeves. 'Such a waste on such a promising student - we all had such high hopes for her, didn't we?' None of the students or teacher gave the poltergeist an answer.
'But that's life, isn't it? You know, not even I feel this is the time for one of my famous pranks, so I decided to do something unusual for once… Believe it or not, I have written a poem, dedicated to the late Ms. Granger. Would you like to hear it?'
'She's not dead…' Harry and Ron mumbled.
'It is not the time for that either, Peeves.' McGonagall said lowly.
'I can't think of a better time.' Said Peeves and cleared his throat.

To: Hermione Granger.
"Condolences on your passing away.
Now, weary traveller, rest your head,
For just like me, you're utterly dead."

'Did you like it?' Peeves asked them with a grin. 'It's with black board and everything.'
Each of the three felt like hexing the rude poltergeist, but for some reason none of them found the strength to do so.


********************************************************************************************************************


The Gryffindor Common room had not been this quiet although being so crowded since Harry's second year, when Ginny had been snatched and brought down to the Chamber of Secrets.
There weren't many who would stand up and admit it, but there wasn't anyone present who really hadn't liked Hermione. Although she was of a bossy nature who was too strict of following the rules, she was also a kind and loyal person who always would stick up for those who had been treated unfairly. Hermione was the unofficial heart of Gryffindor, and her absence was like a hole in the Gryffindor spirit.
Although everyone knew how painful it must be for the remaining two of the infamous trio, it was Ginny who was visibly grieving. She was sitting in the middle of the couch between her brother Ron and boyfriend Neville, both of them trying to somehow console the weeping girl. Crookshanks remained upstairs on Hermione's bed, refusing to move.
'Why her?' Ginny sobbed. She was twirling Hermione's wand in her hands. 'Why did this have to happen to her? She never done anyone any harm.' There was more to her sorrow than anyone knew, because Hermione was the sister Ginny didn't have - it was with her Ginny could share all her deepest secrets and who she could look up to. For her it was like losing a part of herself.

Harry couldn't sit down there anymore. He was constantly reminded of Mrs. Weasley's greatest fear: to lose a family-member and the last words ever exchanged was with anger. That's exactly what had happened to Harry: the last time he and Hermione spoke, Harry had yelled at her. He was so overwhelmed with guilt and sorrow that he thought he was going crazy!
Once inside his dorm, he sunk down on his bed and only stared at an invisible spot on the wall. He felt so… empty. When Cho had died he had felt numb, which was a natural reaction once you lost somebody close to you, even though he now knew that the Vampire had forced those feelings upon him. When Sirius had disappeared beyond the veil in the Department of Mysteries, Harry had gone into a state of shock - which was another natural reaction. But he could not remember the last time he had felt like this when he thought of Hermione laying lifeless in the infirmary - feeling so empty.

The closest situation he could recall actually also included Hermione being hurt. It was in the Department of Mysteries after Antonin Dolohov had struck her down, he had been so afraid of Hermione being dead until Neville had found her pulse. It had been brief, but Harry was certain he had felt that same feeling during that moment.
Another jolt of guilt stabbed his heart - it was his fault that she had been hurt back then as well, but Hermione had never blamed him. Never once had she accused him of being stupid to run of after Sirius even though it had been obvious that it was a trap. Hermione knew that, and he hadn't listened - but she came with him anyway. She had done so much for him - and he, Harry the heart-less bastard, had never even thanked her for her loyalty.

Harry buried his face in his hands. If he only could have one final moment with her: to apologize to her, to thank her for everything she had done for him - the help with the schoolwork, helping him prepare for the Tri-Wizard Tournament, all the Birthday and Christmas-presents she…
Something suddenly nagged Harry when he thought of Birthday-presents. He tried to figure out why but it was hard, because he couldn't recall what Hermione had given him last time. And then it hit him, along with another stab of guilt: he never opened her last present to him!
It was only the day after he had been diagnosed with the Stress-related Nervous Disorder he had his Sixteen's birthday and he had his first collapse that day - but that didn't excuse the fact that he never opened it shortly afterwards, like he hadn't cared. How heartless could you get?

Harry went to his trunk and fished out Hermione's and Ron's Birthday-presents to him - he felt unworthy of opening them now, seven month after. But he decided to open them anyway to honour his friendship with her.
Both packages were small and he couldn't tell which one that came from Hermione, he would just have to take the chance. With trembling hands he unwrapped the small package and revealed… a Bouncing Ball?? There was also a note in it that he read.

Check this thing out, mate. Dad picked up three of these in a market outside London when he had to go out on a raid for the ministry. He's been trying all week to figure out what kind of magic that's in it, but I don't know why he bothers: they're very fun! Just throw it into the wall and watch it go wild! Ginny and I have been chasing around those crazy things for days now, Mum almost had a fit and threatened to ground us. Hermione claims that they're just simple Muggle-toys, but I don't believe her. Try it out and have a great load of fun!!

Happy Birthday from Ron.

Harry shook his head. How typical the Weasley's to go nuts over a Muggle-object. He put it to the side and picked up the other package - the one from Hermione.
His hands trembled even more as he unwrapped it, but shortly afterwards he held its content in his hand - it was a gold-coloured pendant. Harry opened it up by its hinge, splitting it in two.
There was a picture of Hermione inside, and inside the lid there was an inscription engraved - Harry felt his eyes sting as he read the text:

I have always been your friend,
And I always shall be yours.

Everything that Harry had thought about a few minutes ago, as well as his feelings of guilt - it all hit him again, only this time ten times harder. Harry almost thought he would keel over and die, because that short line had broken his heart - tears began to run down his face. He looked at her picture.
It was a magical photo. He couldn't tell where it had been taken but it looked like an exotic place. Hermione's face was in close-up with her most natural expression. As Harry watched, a wind in the picture began to play with her long curly hair; her golden-brown locks danced in the air and then fell softly back over her shoulders. And during that time her picture gave him a sweet smile, and then everything repeated itself. Somehow this picture, this natural expression in her face told everything of what kind of person Hermione really was: she looked intelligent and secured, the picture radiated a warmth that spoke of a very kind soul - exactly like the real person.
It was the most beautiful picture he had ever seen of her.

Had Harry opened this on his birthday, he would've thought this was some sort of girl-thing - but as he looked at it now he saw it in a different light. He read the text over and over again, thinking about something that Ginny had said - she had said that Harry was blind. Could it be that this short line was a hint, a hidden message of Hermione's true feelings? I always shall be yours. Could it mean that Hermione was… in love with him?
Harry let out an anguished cry. Somehow he knew it was exactly what it meant - he even realised that Hermione had over the years given him a lot of signals about that - and he had been too blind to see them. Harry now cried hard, face buried in his hands again. What of his own feelings for her? People do use to say that your true love is always the one right in front of you. Hermione had always been close to him - that was why he now felt so painfully empty! He was so used to have her beside him that he never even considered that she could very well be the one.
And she was the one! Harry finally knew it now - the only problem was that he knew it too late!!
But… was it too late?

Harry stopped his crying and straightened up. There was still life in her - very faint, but she was still alive. And as long as there was life, there was hope. And it was that hope that now filled Harry with new strength, and a determination. He knew what he had to do!
Clutching the pendant tightly in his hand, Harry stood, and then he walked out from his dorm. In a steady but quick pace, he walked down the stairs and passed everybody in the Common room without looking at anybody.
'Harry? Where are you going?' Ron called after him.
'To do what I need to do!' Harry answered without stopping, and without looking back. Without any other word he opened the portrait and walked out. Ron was too stunned to follow him. Harry's voice was unlike any he'd ever heard before - it had been filled with a definitive tone that left no room for argument, filled with a strength that usually belonged to an adult and not a sixteen year old boy.
Harry did not halt his pace once; he walked with purposefulness and didn't let anything distract him. The ghost of the Bloody Baron looked after him in bewilderment as Harry only walked right through him and didn't give a single hint of uncomforting nor apology.

It wasn't long until Harry was back outside the infirmary. He knocked on the door which shortly afterwards was opened by an annoyed Madam Pomfrey.
'Mr. Potter, didn't I tell you that… HEY?' Harry walked straight inside, making the matron step back - and then he closed the door with a bang.
'What is the meaning of this, Potter? You can't just…'
'Poppy.' Harry cut her off with a calm but determined voice that caught Madam Pomfrey by surprise. She actually did fall silent. 'I would like to know something, Poppy. You're a healer, you're job is to save life. So tell me: how far are you willing to go to save a life?'
Madam Pomfrey didn't know what surprised her the most: the question, or Harry's strong calmness. 'Well, I… I would do anything possible to save a life of course, as long as it didn't unwillingly hurt another person.'
'Does that include disregard of some rules if necessary?' Harry asked, still as calm.
'What? Of course not, I have my principles… I don't want to risk losing my license…'
'So if you were presented with the only thing that would save a life, but there was some rules involved that would not allow it… would you not take it?'

Poppy's face flushed with anger. 'Just what exactly is it you're implying here, Potter? What do you want anyway?!'
Harry was not the slightest unbalanced by the matron's outburst. 'Hermione needs blood to survive,' Harry said the same cool calmness and determination. 'but there's nowhere you can get some.'
'I will not persuade another person to surrender his blood to her against his will if that's what you're saying!!' Poppy said sternly.
'I'm not.' Harry said in a now softer tone. 'I want you to take mine!'
'What?'
'Hook me up to her. Let me share some of my blood with her!'
'That's… very gallant of you Mr. Potter, but I can't. You're under age…'
'That's why I asked you how far you are willing to go! Poppy, there isn't time. I'm only five months away from my seventeenth birthday, so I definitely know what I'm doing. But we don't have time to ask my relatives for their permission to go through with this - and for Hermione's sake: we have to act now!'

Madam Pomfrey stood speechless.
'Poppy, you said that you would do anything to save a life - I'm giving you that opportunity. Would you really prefer to face sleepless nights for a long time ahead of you just because you feel inclined to follow some silly rules instead of taking this chance? I'm asking you here to forget your license - do what your heart feels is morally right! Screw the rules. Please, let me save her.'
'Lie down on the bed beside hers, Harry.' said Madam Pomfrey.


************************************************


Ron was shocked when Harry came back a few hours later. He did not come in the same manner as he'd left - Harry was dragging his feet behind him, he hunched because he didn't look like he had the strength to stand straight, and he was very pale in his face.
'Harry! What happened?' Ron rushed to his side. 'By Merlin, not you too! Did you run into Krum?'
'No.' Harry said weakly. 'It's nothing like that…'
'But you look so weak. I must get you to Madam Pomfrey…'
'I just came from there…' Harry struggled to say. 'She told me to rest…'
'B-but… what happened to you, Harry?' Ron held him up while Harry stumbled across the room towards the stairs.
'I did what I had to do…' Harry said. 'Everything will be okay now…'
'What will be okay?'
'Just get me up to our dorm… must rest.' Ron dragged Harry up the stairs and managed to get him into their dormitory. Ron literally dropped Harry onto his bed.
'What did you do, Harry?' Ron argued, being worried for his friend.
'Later, Ron… must…rest…' Ron was about to argue further but had to give up. Harry had already fallen asleep.

Author's notes:

I had originally planned to write more to this chapter - but it seemed like a good place to stop. Besides you're all eager to see what happens next so I thought that I give you this for the moment and upload the rest later.

Peeves' poem was swiped from an episode of red Dwarf, and the text in the pendant comes from Star Trek; I thought they both fitted in there.

Well, I hoped I calmed you guys down a bit - see you later…