Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Menace by Tazer
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Menace

Tazer


Disclaimer: The characters of this fiction are borrowed and used as a tribute to the wonderful world created by J.K. Rowling. They're not mine, never were and never will be. No money is being made on this either.

Author's notes:

I know you want to kill me, this chapter took unforgivable long time… but I've been busy with family and job, and my computer has also been inaccessible because it has been upgraded and I haven't gotten around all the bugs yet.

I want to thank everybody for your reviews and your support for my story, I really appreciate it. I was planning to write back to some of you, but that was while my computer was being upgraded, and when that was finished, much time had gone by that I didn't feel worth it anymore.

Kitsune_Bi: My Vampires are my own; I don't follow any established line, as there are plenty different versions out there. Therefore the victim does not need to drink blood from the Vampire itself to become one, I feel that is too complicated. But thank you anyway for pointing it out, and thank you for reading my story.

Enough talk; let's finally get on with it…


*********************************************


The schooldays passed by as normal as one could feel the days by normal standards would - at least to the majority of the Hogwarts-students. Harry did not agree with the statement. Ever since he had blown off at Hermione, he had been overwhelmed with extreme guilt. The look of her hurt face would never leave his inner sight; it gave him trouble to sleep and a hard time to concentrate on the lessons.
Hermione had stayed true to her word - she had stayed well away from him for two whole weeks. She no longer sat beside him in classes - in Potions she had instead partnered Hannah Abbott, who were a fellow sixth-year Prefect - she never ate in the Great Hall anymore, Ginny had to bring food up to her in her dormitory which she never left except for classes - and she always took another rout in the corridors to avoid his path.
Ginny had been like a live Howler when she'd found out what Harry had accused her of - it was now Harry's ears that ringed for days. Hermione was a lot closer to Ginny than anyone realized, and the redheaded Weasley-girl would not have anyone getting away with hurting a friend to her. Harry had explained to Ginny how sorry he really was and wanted nothing else but to apologize to Hermione - but Ginny had only shook her head and muttered something about what it would longer matter, as the girl in question had decided to give up her dreams. Harry had no idea what Ginny meant with those words that Hermione apparently had said to her.

Surprisingly enough Ron still remained by his side as his friend, even if he too was angered about how Harry had treated the third part of the trio. Harry was nonetheless grateful for that - but it all felt like fourth year all over again when one of his friends had turned the back on him - only this time it was the other one, and this one had a good reason to dislike him, a fact that added to his misery.
Meanwhile the activities at Hogwarts went on as usual. Ravenclaw went up their last match of the season against Hufflepuff in Quidditch, which they lost severely as they hadn't had any chance to break in their new Seeker they hastily had to take in after Cho's death. It had been the Ravenclaw's worst season ever in Hogwarts history - they had lost every match of the year. Professor Flitwick had to cast a Cheering charm upon the bawling Quidditch-Captain Roger Davies afterwards because he was very close to jump off the high Astronomy-tower to end his miserable life.

After Ravenclaw's crushing defeat, there was only one topic now that roamed around the corridors: the upcoming Valentine's ball.
February had come and about every girl was talking about what she would wear and whom she wanted to go with. There was a lot of giggling when a boy was about to ask a girl to the ball, and a lot of whistling from the other boys when a proposal was accepted. Therefore it came as a surprise when Neville asked the question in the middle of the Common room, no one had thought he would work up the courage among all the people.
'G-Ginny?' Neville asked.
'Hmm?' she looked up from her parchments she was working with.
'I… I was w-wondering… since you went with me to the Yule-ball two years ago… I'd thought… I mean, I was wondering…'
'Uuh… what?' Ginny asked, looking a little red.
'W-w-would you mind… going to the ball… this ball... w-with me? Again? Or maybe you don't want to…'

'Oh… wow.' Ginny whispered while the common room exploded with giggles. 'I… I don't know, Neville… I mean - it's very cute of you to ask… It's just that last time you… I mean, you…'
'I stepped on your toes?' Neville finished for her. Ginny coughed in embarrassment. 'I thought about that. I mean - I looked it up. There's this charm that you can cast upon the upper side of your feet that will prevent anything to come upon them, so that I won't step… err… not that I intentionally would want to step on your toes of course, but…' But here Neville stopped himself, because Ginny had suddenly burst out laughing so violently that she doubled over.
'Neville, you're unbelievable!' she managed to get out between her giggles.
'Well… it was just a suggestion…' Neville said looking crest-fallen. 'I was just trying… but if you don't want to then… well…'
'No… no, Neville, you got me all wrong.' Ginny said, struggling to stop her laughter. 'I didn't laugh because I find you ridiculous or something… it's that that you're trying, and I'm flattered by it. It just didn't come out as I had intended.' She then flashed her warmest smile towards Neville's bewildered expression. 'How can I refuse a boy who tries with such noble intentions? Neville - I'd be happy to go with you.'

'R-really? Y-you want to…?'
'Yes. I accept.'
'Well, that's… that's great. I mean…wow! Or should I say… err… what should I say?'
'I know what you mean, Neville.' Ginny giggled. 'We can discuss more when we should meet later on, okay?'
'Fine, it's a date.' Neville said. 'NO, I didn't mean it like that… it's a sort of date, but not that kind of date if you don't want to… I mean, if you'd rather…'
'You may leave, Neville.' She waved her off with a smile.
'Oh… okay, err… Talk to you later?' She nodded and Neville finally scampered off while the guys whistled after him.
'Well, that was unexpected.' Harry said to Ginny as he took a seat beside her.
'Yep.' She answered. 'But I really thought it was cute of him to ask. I sure hope we have a better time than the last one when I stupidly ran off with Michael Corner.'
'History repeats itself to give you a second chance.' Said Harry.
'History really repeats itself.' She then said looking a little annoyed. 'We're not the only ones who attend a ball together a second time!'

'What do you mean?' Harry asked. Ginny snorted.
'Hermione's going with Victor Krum again!'
The voice got stuck in Harry's throat. He had felt so miserable over how he'd treated Hermione that he'd forgotten about Krum's interest for her. And now that Hermione and him were not speaking anymore, Krum could spend even more time with her - and maybe sooner or later he might even (Merlin Forbid) make her a Vampire! The very thought sent a chill down along his spine.
'I don't like that.' He croaked. 'I don't like that at all!
'Well, maybe if you had opened your eyes instead of insulting her, things might have been different.' Ginny mumbled.
'What do you mean by that?' Harry asked.
'Damn it Harry; how can anyone be so blind?' Ginny shrieked and left his side, collecting her stuff and run up the stairs to her dormitory. Harry remained where he was left, dumbfounded.

'What does Ginny mean with that you're blind?' asked Ron who just had entered the Common room, munching on a Chocolate Frog. 'Did you just reject her offer of going with her to the Valentine's ball?' His eyebrows turned downwards and he clenched his hands. 'If you have hurt my sister…'
'Get off my case Ron, I have no idea what's she's talking about. And I didn't reject anything from her, because she has already accepted to go with Neville.'
'WHAT??' Ron spat out his chocolate. 'Neville?? I'm going to have a chat with him…'
'Don't you dare, Ron!' Harry grabbed Ron's collar and forced him down on the chair Ginny had vacated. 'You leave those two alone, it's Ginny's choice after all, and you've got nothing to do with it!'
'But Harry - she's my sister…'
'I consider her my sister too - and I will respect her choices! And so should you.'
Ron grumbled some more but surrendered to reason. 'I still will keep an eye on him…' he mumbled.
'At least she's got a date…' Harry said. 'What are you going to do? I remember the trouble we both had finding partners to the Yule-ball - I doubt Padma Patil want to go with you again.'
'I have no intention of asking her!' Ron said resolutely. 'And as for finding a date…' He looked around to make sure no one was eavesdropping, then leaned closer to Harry.

'I have actually already got myself one. Since months back.' He whispered.
Harry dropped his jaw. 'What are you saying? Have you… got a Girlfriend?'
'SHH!! Not so loud. Please!'
'Is that why you have been gone somewhere a lot lately? Have you been seeing her a long time? Do I know her?'
'You… you do know her, Harry. It's just that… you are going to laugh at me. Just like everybody else will.' Ron said dejectedly.
'I didn't laugh at you when you said that you wanted to try out for Keeper last year. I swear that I won't laugh now. Who is she?'
'…Luna…'
Harry's jaw dropped again. 'Luna? As in: Luna Lovegood?'
Ron nodded.
'Wow. That was unexpected. I thought you thought of her as loony?'

'Not anymore.' Ron shook his head. 'It began in our first Hogsmeade-weekend - right after my stupid blunder with Hermione. Ginny talked a lot of sense to me afterwards and then we both went to the Three Broomsticks… Luna sat by a table all by herself and Ginny said that we would join her. I was reluctant at first - but after a while I found myself thinking that she wasn't so bad after all. As long as she doesn't talk about Crumple-horned Snorkack or Nargles, and you can look around her wide-open eyes - she's actually quite alright!' Ron looked proud. 'I have found that we got many things in common - she finds my jokes funny - and just like me: she doesn't enjoy dancing.'
'You're really serious about this, aren't you?' Harry asked him.
'I have grown to like her very much these past months Harry. But we have to keep it a secret because of her reputation as 'Loony Lovegood'. If anyone finds out we'll be the laughing stock of the whole school. Of course we still will when they'll see us together at the ball.'
'Ron. If anyone dares to laugh at you two, then they will have to answer to me as well.'
'You mean it?'
'I certainly do, Ron.' Harry slapped a hand on Ron's arm. 'Good luck with her, mate. I hope it will last.'

'Coming from you Harry - it means a lot.' Ron said, looking very happy. 'So who are you planning to ask?'
'No one.' Harry said with a sigh. The blossomed happiness he'd felt for Ron had now diminished again. 'I can't distract myself with that, not with Krum running around. I have to keep an eye on him in case he tries something. Especially now since he's asked Hermione to go with him!'
'Oh no!' gasped Ron. 'If he really is a… a… you-know-what… You don't think he will try something do you?'
'That's something I don't even dare to think about!'
'No. Especially not after what you said that he had done to Cho.' Ron said nervously. 'I know would she still have been alive you would've gone with her, but…' Ron then silenced, realizing his error when he saw Harry looking at him strangely. 'I… I'm sorry Harry, I didn't mean to…'
There was an awkward quiet moment until Harry stood up and headed for the stairs to the boy's dormitory. 'Excuse me Ron. There's really something I have to think about.'
Ron banged his head on the table, cursing himself for slipping his tongue. 'What is it with me this year? Why am I so bloody big-mouthed?' he muttered, hoping Harry wouldn't be too angry with him for bringing up the sensitive subject about his late girlfriend.


*****************************************


What Ron didn't know was that Harry wasn't angry with him. When Ron had accidentally brought up Cho's name, Harry had automatically braced himself for the wave of sorrow of her death to wash over him. He had waited for several seconds - in fact: he was still waiting for it.
It wasn't coming. Something was wrong.
The dormitory was empty, something he was grateful of for the moment. Only his Owl Hedwig was present, sitting on his bedside table. Harry sat down on his bed and absent-mindedly began to pet her.
'Hedwig? Why am I not grieving for Cho?' he asked her. Hedwig only hooted a soft response that Harry could almost sworn sounded like a negative sound for 'I don't know Master'.
Harry should feel a tremendous sorrow for Cho being dead, as it was barely two months ago she had expired, but all he felt was a sadness for a lost not-so-close friend. Other than that, he had hardly even thought about her that much lately. How was that possible? Had the encounter with the Vampire-version of Cho forever ruined what there had been between them - or was it something else? Maybe that was it - every time he had thought back of Cho, he only remembered her as the Vampire - not the one she was before she had died… the one he fell in love with a second time in Diagon Alley.

It was actually strange that he had fallen for her again. After Sirius's death he had lost all needs to impress her, actually he should still have been miffed about her friend Marietta's treachery. What had brought this love up again?
He thought back to the summer before the start of his sixth year - ransacking his feelings rather than his mind.
Harry remembered feeling depressed - and lonely. Was that so strange? Sirius's death was still like an open wound back then, and he had just been diagnosed with his Stress-related Nervous Disorder, so naturally he had needed something to distract and occupy his troubled mind with. Cho had been the one who suddenly had come by, willing to talk to him again after he had apologized to her by letter - and he had seized the chance. A chance of happiness in his miserable life.
Naturally it had escalated into the love affair that continued into the school-term - then there really was nothing strange about all this… but why didn't he feel anything now?

Harry continued to re-play the first half of his school year analysing it with his emotions. He found that being among his friends again had helped him to get control of his grief from the loss of Sirius - and his love for Cho was still there… the strange thing was that his love for her back then felt strange - like he used it to distract himself from something… what he didn't know.
But when he recalled the time around Halloween, Harry jerked in surprise. His emotions told him that his feelings for Cho around that time had almost died! The love for her had only been a crush that had gone by and disappeared!
This didn't make any sense! Harry's love for Cho had been high all the way to December before she died, and a while after when he had grieved for her because he had felt absolutely lonely again. His mind remembered all this - but his emotions disagreed - they did not correspond with his memory!

How can his emotions tell him that his love for Cho had been nothing but a crush that had died around Halloween when he remembered loving her all the way to Christmas??

Harry stood up and began pacing around the dormitory back and forth - (Hedwig watched him curiously) - trying to make sense of this illogical dilemma. There was absolutely no way one could love a person far longer than his own emotions allowed him to, unless his mind had somehow been mani…? …pu…? …lated…?
Harry stopped dead in his tracks, staring into empty space. Manipulated? A Vampire had manipulated the whole school this whole year! Did that mean…?

'GRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!'

Without thinking: Harry screamed and actually smashed his fist straight into the wall the hardest he could, causing Hedwig to jump in fright.
'Krum, you lousy Son-of-a-bitch…' he spat into thin air. That was how Harry's mind had been affected from the Vampire's mind-manipulation during the year… he had been forced to keep on loving Cho even though he never had the necessary feelings for her all the way. Harry could no longer be manipulated that easily because he knew what was going on after Lupin had told him about the Vampire lurking at Hogwarts, he subconsciously resisted any further intrusions on his mind.
But that didn't change a thing, it had happened nonetheless! Yet it wasn't for the fact that he had been experiencing a fake love life that made Harry angry - it was the act all together!! Krum the Vampire had been controlling his life, taking away his - and every other persons in Hogwarts - free-will, making them do things they may otherwise would never do - humiliating the poor souls and holding them back from their own successes and experiences. Well, no more! It was time to try to dig out the solid proof he needed to expose Victor Krum as a Vampire and have Remus Lupin and the Order of the Phoenix remove him, then they can all go back to normal!

Harry had an idea on how to do just that, but unfortunately he knew that he would have to wait until after the Valentine's Ball… he would never be able to go through with his plans unnoticed while the excitement for the big event of February kept everyone on their toes. But afterwards… Harry flexed his fingers in anticipation…
'Aah… AOW!!' he gasped as a searing pain in his right hand pulled him back to reality. He looked at his hand and winced… It was the hand he had struck the wall with - it was all blue and red and wasn't shaped like it was supposed to be.
He had broken about every bone in it when he smacked it into the wall of stone!
Biting back the pain, he morosely walked out of the dormitory to head to the infirmary. Passing through the common room, he noticed that several glances were cast on him - no doubt had they heard his outrage from upstairs, and seeing his busted hand only added to their curiosity. Harry walked out of the Gryffindor-tower doing his best to ignore the stares from his fellow housemates.

Harry felt relief when he reached the infirmary. His hand throbbed with pain and was almost becoming unbearable - and he had been afraid that he would bump in to somebody who would delay him, but he had met no one. He knocked gently on the door with his left hand and entered.
'I'm coming, I'm coming.' Said Madam Pomfrey when Harry walked in. 'And what is your probl…? Oh it's you! Isn't this a bit early for your routine check-up?'
'I'm not here for my illness.' Harry explained shamefaced. 'I happened to cause myself a bit of another problem.' And he held up his right hand.
'Oh my!!' What have you done??' Madam Pomfrey exclaimed. 'Has someone dropped a pestle on your hand? Or did you for some reason strike at a wall?' Harry became even more shamefaced, which gave the matron the answer. 'Mr Potter!' she scolded. 'Whatever am I going to do with you? Do we really have to go through with this every year?'
'I'm not really being fond of this myself, thank you.' Said Harry a little harsher than he had intended. 'But most of the time trouble do tend to look me up and the circumstances sometimes makes me get a little… carried away.'

'Carried away?' Madam Pomfrey huffed as she examined Harry's damaged hand. 'That's an understatement when it comes to you.'
Harry bit back a retort. He would gain nothing by getting into an argument with the matron.
'Well I can't mend these bones back together properly; there are too many splinters. I'm afraid we have to do this the hard way…' Before Harry could ask for a clarification, Poppy flicked her wand over his hand - and a feeling of his hand somehow being deflated was sensed - a sensation he had experienced before in his second year, and which he had not been happy about to experience. To his dismay, it was exactly like the last time - Madam Pomfrey had removed the bones in his hand, it was now like a flesh-coloured rubber glove.
'You're in for a rough night Mr. Potter, but you already understood that, did you not?' the matron said, holding up a large bottle.
Harry looked gloomily at the label of the bottle that clearly said: Skele-Gro.


********************************************************************************************************************


The excitement for the Valentine's-ball was so high that it was almost impossible for the teachers to give any proper lessons the day before the opening. Professor Flitwick had relented and allowed his students to play games in his last lesson; Professor McGonagall had reluctantly done the same. The teachers who absolutely would not give in to such things was Snape, who deducted several points than usual from each of the houses because of lack of concentration and discipline - and also Professor Tulip, who insisted on that something as silly as a ball was no reason to neglect their care for the flowers.

Harry did not have a date, and he had a feeling that he was the only one who didn't. And that was by choice. Many girls had in fact tried their luck and tried to talk Harry into going to the ball with any of them, but Harry had with forced gentleness turned everyone of them down. He would not give in for a 'great time', he was going there to keep an eye on Krum. Although he was happy for it, it actually concerned him that no more 'accidents' had happened since Justin's and Firenze's deaths - he had no idea how long a Vampire could function without renewing themselves with fresh blood - but he had a horrible feeling that there would be time soon, and he swore to prevent that if he could.

Harry had grown some inches during the past two years since the Yule-ball - but his bottle-green dress-robes thankfully still fitted him, although he knew that this was the last time they would, he would have to buy new ones until the next time.
Being a Prefect, Ron had the privilege of using the Prefect's bathroom - that's where he had escaped to bade and dress up before he would meet up with Luna - all to avoid any embarrassing questions on whom he had asked to go with him.
Being as ready as he thought he could be, Harry left the dormitory, passed several boys who waited by the stairs leading the girls dorms, waiting for their dates to come down. Harry clapped Neville on his shoulder as he passed by, wishing him good luck and then walked down to the Great Hall on his own.

Unlike when the Yule-ball was up, the doors to the Great Hall were already open - inside was a bit of a repeat from that time as well: hundreds of living fairies with golden wings and carrying harps flew around the giant place, playing soft tunes on their instruments. But instead of Christmas decorations, The Great Hall's walls were covered with pink flowers, just like Gilderoy Lockhart had done it in Harry's second year.
Not many couples were there yet, but the teachers were present - Snape looked absolutely disgusted of the décor - And Tulip, the replacement Herbology-teacher was hunching over the many roses in vases to make sure they were comfortable.

'Good evening Mr. Potter.' Said a cold monotone voice. Professor Vladislav Malfoy came up to Harry as he walked through the doors - the Professor had not bothered to change from his regular clothes. He looked like he fitted in anyway.
'Good evening Professor Malfoy.' Said Harry, trying not to cringe under the life-less steel-grey eyes.
'Don't you have a date for this grandiose moment?' Vlad Malfoy asked softly, yet tonelessly.
'I… didn't really feel like dating anyone since… you know… it's still a painful period for me after…'
'Ah, of course.' Said Vladislav. 'The tragic death of Ms. Chang still haunts your memory, am I right?'
'Yes… that's right.' Harry felt cold all of the sudden. He was almost certain that Professor Malfoy somehow could tell that he was lying, since his feelings for Cho had long since been gone even before her death. It was still weird to think about - knowing that he had been manipulated to love Cho even though the feelings were really gone. Vlad's life-less eyes almost seemed to penetrate Harry's personal walls, like he could see that Harry was hiding those things… it made him feel uncomfortable. Harry wished that Vladislav Malfoy would turn away.

'So sad really…' Vlad spoke quietly. 'Valentine is usually the best time of the year for romantic moments and tenderness - one should not be alone at a time like this. Maybe you should consider trying again tonight? There's really no point of living if you dwell too much on the past… some tend to forget to live at all.'
'But it is difficult to live if your heart is in a million pieces!' Harry snapped in a low voice.
'True.' Vlad said with a hint of a smile. He didn't seem offended by Harry's scolding, yet he then apologized. 'Forgive me, Mr. Potter. I was trying to give a Professor-to-student-advice, but I only managed to speak out of terms. Hopefully you will still enjoy this ball. Well then, I bid you a good evening.' Vladislav walked away to talk with some of his colleagues. Harry did not know what to make of that man. He was a Malfoy, but didn't act like one. Yet he had this strange way to somehow intimidate people just by talking to them, and there was always a sense of coldness left behind as he left a person's side. Harry wished he knew more about him, yet at same time he wasn't sure he really wanted to.

'Out of the way, Pot-head!' came the snarling voice of Draco Malfoy, who just came in with Pansy Parkinson at his side, and his two cronies Crabbe and Goyle following his lead, both of them date-less. Harry held back a remark as he stepped to the side to let the charming couple pass. This was not the time or place to start a fight. The fairies came down and sprinkled small flowers over them.
'Shoo, shoo! Go away you little wretches!' Draco barked and tried to hit them with his fist. The fairies did fly away, but only to sprinkle flowers over the next couples that entered the Great Hall. Katie Bell, Harry's former teammate in Quidditch came in together with a seventh-year from Ravenclaw Harry did not know. Some unknown Hufflepuffs and other Ravenclaws came in afterwards, all of them were showered by flowers from the fairies. Harry assumed that no flowers had been sprinkled on him because he had come without a date.

'Hello, Harry.' Said a soft voice. Ginny was walking in with her arm looped around Neville's.
'Oh, hello Ginny. Neville.' Harry greeted back.
'Harry. Don't you think she looks spectacular?' Neville asked.
'Flatterer.' Ginny scolded with a blush.
'He's got a point Ginny, you do.' Harry looked Ginny over. The upper-part of her sleeveless dress left an exposed collarbone and folded nicely over her bosom and waist, connected to a frilly skirt that almost reached the floor that made it roomier for her legs, enabling her to move without hindrance. The edges of the dress were decorated with white laces as a finishing touch, but what really made it most interesting was that the colour matched perfectly with her hair that had been curled, but otherwise loose. 'That dress looks great on you, when did you get it?'
'It's actually my mum's old dress that she had the first time she dated dad.' She said proudly. 'I've been waiting half my life to finally grow into it. We took it down from the attic this Christmas.'

'I'm really starting to get jealous of you Neville. You be good to my 'sister' now.'
'Don't worry, I will. I'll have her home by eleven.' Neville joked.
'Eleven? That's too late, have her home by nine.' Harry joked back.
'But that's a little early.' Said Neville catching on. 'How about ten?'
'Nine thirty.'
'Nine forty-five?'
'Shut up you two. Let's go in.' Ginny interrupted the two of them and dragged Neville along, but not before Harry caught the amused smile on her lips.

Harry's own playful smile dropped instantly as he caught sight of the next couple who passed him. It was Hermione and Krum, both of them actually dressed exactly like when they attended the Yule Ball, the only difference was that this time Hermione had not used any hair potion to tame her bushy hair. It looked like she hadn't even got the necessary mode to make herself more elegant than that. Harry still though she looked very pretty, if only she would smile a little. She didn't and she wouldn't even look his way. Victor Krum on the other hand looked smug and victorious, and he didn't make any attempt to hide that from Harry, it was quite the contrary. Harry felt for a moment like hexing him, but what good would that do? It would certainly not make things better between he and Hermione.

'Hey, mate. Why the long face?' Ron had arrived, escorting Luna Lovegood.
Harry didn't say anything, he only indicated with his head towards Hermione and Krum, hoping Ron would get the message. Thankfully, Ron did. He nodded in response and didn't press the matter further.
Luna had caught on their silent exchange and glanced at the said couple. 'Hmm… there's an odd tension going on there…' Luna commented dreamily. 'I doubt that their relationship will last, nor should it. Anyone can see that those two do not match each other.'
Harry was reminded of that Luna had told him on the train to Hogwarts when their year was to start that she could somehow see that Ron and Hermione would not fit together… he silently hoped that she was right this time as well.

Harry tore his sight away from Krum and Hermione to look more closely at his other friends. It was the first time he had seen Ron's new dress robes he had persuaded Fred and George to buy for their brother when he'd left them his winnings from the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Ron looked much more comfortable in those than his last ones and Harry could understand why. They were identical with his, who in turn were similar to his school-uniform. There was just one difference that Harry quietly snickered about, he should have expected that Fred and George wouldn't just buy Ron some dress-robes without deliberately making him at least slightly annoyed: while Harry's were bottle-green, Ron's were maroon. And maroon was Ron's least favourite colour.

He did a double take when he saw Luna though: at first he was thinking that Luna must've mistaken the ball for a costume-party. She was dressed in a simple white garb and was barefooted. It looked like she wore some kind of long shawl hanging on her back but he quickly saw that they looked like some kind of wings. Harry resisted the urge to roll his eyes: she was dressed as a fairy. Typical Loony Luna. he thought to himself, smiling. She was staying true to the fact that it was Valentine.
However the real small fairies seemed to appreciate it a lot. Flying around her they performed their own kind of magic to make Luna's hair sparkle while her garbs were made to glow a bit in rainbow colours. Then they floated her inside the Great Hall making her wings flap. The teachers applauded the scene and some students did to, mostly of politeness when the teachers did. Luna seemed to have the time of her life.
'Hey, wait for me!' Ron called, rushing in after. 'That's my date after all!' Harry was left at the doors, suddenly feeling awkward.


************************************************


The ball opened with a first dance, then everyone sat down to eat. Harry sat with Rona, Luna, Ginny and Neville. None of them knew where Hermione sat. Ron kept throwing suspicious glances at Neville for dating his sister, like he was waiting for a sigh that Ginny was uncomfortable, but nothing of the sort showed on Ginny's face.
When the feast were finished, everybody started to dance again, including Ron and Luna whom decided to give it a shot, even though none of them fancied dancing that much. Harry was left alone at the table, watching the sea of dancing couples, feeling really out of place.
'So what's the story with you, Scar head? Nobody who wanted to go to the ball with you?'
Great, just what I need right now. Malfoy.
'Maybe he was too cowardly to ask anyone for a date?' Pansy Parkinson snickered beside him. Crabbe and Goyle let out some muffled laughter's as well.
Somehow Harry kept his temper and didn't let the Slytherin's taunts get to him. This was not the time or place for a fight.

'But wait… of course, forgive me Potter.' Malfoy then said with a mock politeness. 'It can't be easy to find dates for yourself after your last one died, am I right? Everyone who gets too close to you ends up dead after a while, isn't that so?'
Harry still didn't say anything.
'Ooh, alas poor Cho Chang.' Said Pansy with a fake sorrow-filled tone. 'How could she have known that she signed her own doom when she allowed herself to fall in love with the Boy-Who-Lived? Or should I say: The-Boy-Who-Everyone-dies-Around?' The others laughed.
Harry silently sipped from his Pumpkin-juice. Inwardly he shivered, because he felt that Pansy's taunt held some kind of truth in it, but he would not let this bunch know that.
'Poor Pot-head!' Draco Malfoy said. 'He will never love again.'
'At least I've been there.' Harry finally said without looking up.
'What? Draco asked.
'There is a saying: It's better to have loved and been loved, than not being loved at all. At least I've been there, I'm not sure I can say the same about you.'

'What's that supposed to mean?' Draco asked, now feeling enraged.
'Just what is your relationship with Pansy there? Is it love, or are you with her only because of your pure-blood mania?'
Pansy looked a little taken aback, while Draco looked furious. 'Just what is it you're insinuating, Potter? Do you dare to mock the noble society of pure-bloods? You dare to mock us?'
'Oh no, I'm not mocking you.' Harry said with a smile. 'I pity you.'
'Pity us?' Pansy asked bewildered.
'Your society only allow you interrelated relationships, were the choices are quite limited. Where else could any of you go but to each other, otherwise you would be disowned, am I wrong? I'm quite certain that your 'love-life' is only a façade since it has been forced upon you, and that's why I pity you both. None of you will ever experience the true wonders behind love… like I have.' And with that Harry calmly took another sweep of his drink.

'That's bullshit, Potter!' Draco spat. 'You know nothing of our society, we don't need your stupid wonders behind love as you call it!'
'And that's why I pity you, Malfoy.' Harry said.
'Stop giving us your pity, Potter! We don't need that either!' Draco raged. Harry only smiled; he knew that he had won.
'Bah, let's get out of here!' Draco said enraged, the others followed him. Harry caught a look of some sort of disturbance on Pansy's face as she turned away. Yep, he actually did pity the lot of them. But they made their beds, now they have to sleep in it.
'Harry, dance with me.' Harry was suddenly yanked from his seat and came face to face with Ginny whom put her arms around his neck; Harry automatically put his hands around her waist.

'What brought this on?' Harry asked as they began to move. 'You've got tired of Neville already?'
'No I haven't. But this song is short and I wanted to talk to you.'
'What about?'
'If you want to settle things with Hermione, then you should really take your chance tonight. She's not really having a good time right now.'
'How come?'
'Krum's drunk. And has been for the whole evening.'
'What?' Harry's eyebrows shot up. 'But school doesn't allow alcohol on the grounds…'
'Apparently that does not apply to him because he's out of school and of age. He spikes his drinks with some own juice that he keeps in his pocket. And you know how Hermione feels about alcohol.'
'I know. She dislikes it a lot…'
'That's why she dislikes being around Krum right now. I think that you should 'save' her…'
'Maybe I should try…'
'I think you should. Go for it.' And then Ginny kissed him on the cheek and went to find Neville. Harry looked around to find where Krum and Hermione were for the moment. He spotted them in the far corner and he saw that Hermione indeed looked uncomfortable as they danced.

Sneaking past other couples along-side the walls, he soon got into hearing-distance… He hid behind a curtain and concentrated his hearing on the two of them, prepared to cut in case Krum did something bad. He caught Krum taking a big swig of his pint of drink, something Hermione frowned at…
'Victor, must you really drink that?' she asked.
'Vhy ish it bothering you sho much Hermy-own-ninny?' Krum asked irritably, and Harry heard that he had already drunk much that he spoke with a slurred speech. 'It'sh party!'
'No, it's a ball! You don't get drunk on a ball!'
'Vhy doesh it bothers you?' Krum snapped again.
'When I was little I had an uncle I liked very much.' Hermione explained. 'But he had problems with alcohol, and when he had too much to drink, he got me scared. And when I was eight he got himself killed in a car-crash. After having learned that he had been driving drunk and having learned the effects of alcohol in books, I swore never to have anything to do with it!'
'Sho he could not handle it, that'sh not'ing to hang up about. You haff to loosen up more Hermy-own-ninny.'
'That's Her - my -own - nee!' she muttered.
'Vot-ever.' Krum said and took another swig. Hermione let out a deep sigh.

Nothing more was said at the moment. Harry waited for the song to end so that he could walk up and ask Hermione for a dance, praying that she would agree. He really wanted the chance to apologise to her. But he listened as Krum began to speak again.
Ve are meant to be, you know.' He slurred and pulled her closer. 'Vhy don't ve get out of here and find shom'place more alone?'
Say no! Say no! Harry silently prayed.
'Victor, I am not ready for that kind of things yet.' She said going a little red. 'I don't think we should stay too long tonight either. I have some things I want to prepare tomorrow before classes start again…'
'Forget about your classhesh, Hermy… you haff me…'
'But we have Newts next year. I want to be prepared…'
'Don't talk about your shtupid Newts again…' Krum snapped. 'You von't need them in the future anyway…'

'What do you mean I won't need them?' Hermione asked annoyed. 'I'm going for politics after school and it's always good to know everything with…'
'Vomen got nothing to do vith politicsh. Leave that to the men.' Krum interrupted.
'Well then, what do you think I should take for career after school?' she asked angrily.
'You vill be going to Bulgaria vith me of courshe.' Krum said in a matter-of-factly tone. 'I shtill haff two years of shervishe with my mashter Mr. Malfoy, and I vill haff Quidditch… I vill make enough moony to shupport the famili…'
'You want me to move to Bulgaria?' Hermione asked in surprise. 'But… I have family and friends here. I can't just leave them?'
'You von't need them there.' Krum said with finality. Harry began to feel his blood boil. That bastard didn't respect her! He wanted her to leave her life behind just for his own pleasure.

'Wait. Do you want me to give up my past, my parents and friends and my planned future here just to come with you to Bulgaria, take a low-paid job there and…'
'You vont take any job at all, you shall shtay home with the children.'
'What?' Hermione now stopped dancing. 'I'm the top-student of this year here in Hogwarts, I've been spending my whole life to do well… and you're telling me that I should give up all that to become a simple house-wife?'
'Yesh.' Krum said determinately. 'That'sh all vomen are good for anyway. They haff no other place in the vorld.'
Hermione stepped away from Krum, trembling with anger. 'Why me? Why did you choose me for this?'
It was probably because he had drunk so much alcohol that made him loosen his tongue. 'To shov the vorld that I can haff anyone I vant of courshe, including the girl known as Harry Poter's friend…'

Harry was now seething with such anger for Krum that he was about to step out and tell him off… but Hermione beat him to it. The last time Harry had seen Hermione punch somebody in the face was in his third year when she'd punched Draco Malfoy… and that was exactly what now happened to Victor Krum. The punch was loud enough to catch the attention of everybody in the Great Hall, and everyone turned just in time to see Krum hit the floor.
'So that's all I am to you, huh?' Hermione screamed at him. 'I'm just a trophy, is that it? Well listen good here you creep: I'm not a prize! I'm a human being whom no one can or will ever own, I'm a person who believes in respect and will not be treated as some kind of a slave… And if you refuse to believe in equality than we have nothing in common! Our relationship is hereby terminated, and if you come near me again I will hex you into infinity!!' And then she turned her heel and stormed off towards the doors out of the Great Hall. She radiated such anger that everybody scrambled out of her way.
'You can't treat me like this!!' Victor Krum raged as he got back on his feet.
'Men! Who the hell needs them anyway?' Hermione could be heard saying before she disappeared.

'Come back here Hermy-own-ninny! I vill not haff you to…'
'VICTOR!!'
Krum stopped in his tracks and turned with a somewhat nervous expression to Vladislav Malfoy whom was looking at him with a stern expression.
'Come with me Victor. I think you and I need to have a little talk.' And Vlad Malfoy took his assistant by the neck and harshly pulled him out of there, leaving a stunned crowd behind whom had witnessed the whole thing and was still processing on what just had happened. When the two of them had disappeared, the Great Hall burst out in many murmurs and all seemed to have forgotten what they really were doing there. Harry was still standing in the corner, feeling a bit disappointed that he had missed his chance to talk to Hermione, and he was not about to go after her now, not when she was fuming with anger. It was better to let her cool down a bit first.
But in the same time he was proud of her, and he was a lot happier now that she no longer would have anything to do with Krum. Now she would stay safe, and that was the important thing.


********************************************************************************************************************


The ball ended one and a half hour later, Harry had stayed and chatted with Ron and Luna most of the time as none of the two cared to dance any more. Harry found that Ron had been right; when Luna was not rambling about stuff that was doubtful they existed, she was very okay to talk to.
Harry Left Ron to say goodnight to Luna and followed Ginny and Neville back to the Gryffindor Common-room. Once they were back there, Ginny turned to Neville…
'I've had a lovely evening, Neville.'
'So did I. It was definitely an improvement from the last time.'
'It sure was.' She said with a giggle.
'So… will I be seeing you tomorrow?'
'You will.'
'Well… I guess this is goodnight then?'
'Um… I guess. Feels a little dull though just to part like this, don't you think?'
'I know. But my Gran told me never to kiss a girl on the first date.'
'My mum said the same thing to me.' Ginny said with a laugh. 'But you know something Neville? This isn't our first date… it's actually our second.'
'It is?'
'Our first date was the Yule-ball. Therefore…' Ginny grabbed Neville by his tie and pulled him to her, and then she pressed her lips to his. Ron came back just in time to see it, and he could only stand on his spot with an open mouth.

Ginny let go of a stunned Neville with a grin, and whispered goodnight to him before she walked up the stairs to her dormitory. Seamus and Dean whistled and clapped their hands.
Ron gesticulated with his hands that he wanted to have a word with both his sister and Neville, but no sound would escape his lips.
'I'm afraid that you're going to have to live with this, mate.' Harry said to Ron who looked like he was helpless for something. 'Come on, let's go to bed.'
'Neville? Neville, are you in there lover boy?' Seamus asked as he waved a hand in front of his face, he had yet to move from his spot.
But then Neville broke out in a goofy grin and started to sing.

A British tar is a soaring soul,
As free as a mountain bird,
His energetic fist should be ready to resist
A dictatorial word…

Harry, Seamus and Dean laughed as they followed the singing Neville up the stairs. His overjoyed state was so ludicrous that even though Ron tried to resist it; even he had to crack a smile…


Next: Harry and Ron sneaks back into Slytherin house, and another victim to the Vampire will be revealed…