Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Menace by Tazer
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Menace

Tazer


Disclaimer: The characters of this fiction are borrowed and used as a tribute to the wonderful world created by J.K. Rowling. They're not mine, never were and never will be. No money is being made on this either.


Author's notes:

Here we are, the next chapter. Thank you everyone for your reviews, I'm glad you enjoy this story.

As for the question of when you'll have Harry and Hermione together - my answer is: Soon. Not just yet, but we're getting there. There is some other stuff I need to happen first before that finally happens.

On with the story.


*****************************************


Argus Filch's cat; Mrs Norris gave Harry a suspicious look with her bulging, lamp-like eyes as he walked by in the corridor. The paintings also followed him with their gaze, and the armours turned their visors after the Boy-Who-Lived, wondering what had made him so grim-faced and resolved this time.
Harry was not aware of the looks. He was hardly even aware of which corridor he was passing through. Harry's mind was full of the Bulgarian Quidditch player Victor Krum, replaying the moment of his return to Hogwarts in his mind, and he constantly thought of the muggle-created Swimming Diploma Badge fastened on Krum's clothes.
Viktor Krum had to be the Vampire, it all fitted in.

Harry guessed that sometime between his graduation from Durmstrang and the beginning of Harry's sixth year; Viktor Krum must've had a run-in with a Vampire that drank all of his blood, resulting in Krum becoming one as well. Krum probably had nowhere special to go after that, but he probably was desperate to still his thirst for life-blood. And what better place to start but with the one place he had recently visited and knew something about, where he knew he could find the prey he was craving? Hogwarts!! Harry had no idea how Krum got acquainted with Professor Vladislav Malfoy, but that mystery could wait. Being Malfoy's assistant makes a good cover though.

Krum arrived at Hogwarts at the very beginning of the term, getting familiar with the present staff and students. That's why he always joined as many classes he could; to learn what kind of people he had around him and making his mind-manipulation more effective! Krum's mind-control had made students acting weird as a side effect to prevent them from suspecting anything being wrong about him. It was probably an easy task for him to do - because who really would suspect the famous Quidditch-star Viktor Krum being a dangerous creature of the night?

The question now was why Krum seemed to have started a personal vendetta against Harry? The only reason he could think of was because since the Vampire still had the attributes and personality of the living Krum, he maybe still held a grudge against him that it was Harry who won the Tri-Wizard tournament and not Krum. His ego demanded him to best Harry, and he felt like terrorizing him a little first by making Harry's already troubled life a living hell! Krum killed Cho Chang and made her a Vampire to give Harry a first-hand taste of what awaited him. Krum probably wanted to inflict terror in him until the upcoming confrontation, when he would drink Harry's blood and become more powerful.

Although Harry was sure that he had the full idea of what was going on, he still had to think rational. All of this was after all only theories. Then why had he stolen the swimming badge from Daniel Cody if it wasn't to give me a hint? But Harry shook the thought away, he had got into way too much trouble for taking things for granted without proofs or at least confirmations that would support the theories. And that was why he was on his way to see Firenze in classroom eleven. Although it had gone several months since then, Harry could still hear how the centaur had tried to warn Professor Snape of the danger the students were in. He needed to know more. Finally reaching the classroom Firenze was teaching Divination, Harry knocked on the door three times and entered without waiting for a voice that said 'Come in'.

Finding himself in the moss-covered area that looked like a forest clearing, Harry's eyes darted around after the four-legged Divination-teacher. He didn't have to look for long, Firenze the Centaur was walking calmly out of the woods to greet him.
'I knew you'd sooner or later walk back in through my door, Harry Potter.' Firenze said. He was smiling but it somehow looked a little strained. And his choices of words were confusing.
'I should have guessed that you'd be expecting me - but you say it like you didn't expect me to walk in today? Was my visit not foretold?'
'Foretelling are in general always obscure to every individual, but I did not read in the stars that you would visit me this day.' Firenze smiled mysteriously. 'I expected you would come to me one day after you overheard my warning to Professor Snape the evening you came back to school after the summer. Yes, I knew you were there.'
'Then you know what I'm after!' Harry stated.
'I know what you want to know - but unfortunately I do not have the answers. Not anymore.'
'What do you mean?'
'I have lost my ability to read the stars.' Firenze said sadly. 'Their pattern make no sense to me anymore.'

'You've lost the ability to read the stars??' Harry said in disbelief. 'How can you lose that ability? That's not some kind of magic, it's a knowledge, is it not?'
'Yes. We Centaurs learn at early age to read the stars the same manner you children learn to read letters. That's why my losing that ability is quite frightening. What could do such a thing?'
Then it clicked in Harry's mind. 'The Vampire! It's manipulating your mind - making you unable to recognise the patterns in the stars!'
'Is that the danger? A Vampire?'
'Yes. I'm certain it came here the same day our year started. But it needed some time to affect all of us… Firenze, when the Professors refused to listen to you, surely you must have looked up as much as you could in the stars before you lost it - surely there must be something about the Vampire you can tell me?'
'I did continue to look in the stars for more information of the danger, but they couldn't tell me that much by then. What I know is inconclusive…'
'Please just tell me what you do know…' Harry pressed him.

Firenze sighed. 'The stars spoke of a 'Dark Menace', a being belonging to the other side that was to mix among us to avoid detection. It's presence would overpower us, and death would follow in order for the Menace to walk on.' Firenze now looked angry. 'That alone should have been enough to postpone the start of the term, but the staff would not listen… probably because no one likes to take seers seriously. And now its too late.'
'Didn't you find out anything else?'
'I tried. I wanted to find out the identity of this Menace - but my mind became obscured the farther into the year we got… and around the time young Daniel Cody was killed, I could no longer read. I did find out some things though… actually concerning you.' Firenze added the last words vaguely…
'Me? How?'
'I think I just said too much…' Firenze caught himself.

'No, go on!' Harry urged. 'What is it that concerns me?' But inwardly Harry groaned. His gut ached as he thought about that whatever it was that concerned him could be another…
'It's a kind of prophecy…' Firenze carefully said.
'Great. Another one.' Harry muttered. 'Well, what does it say? Anything to do with my quarrel with Voldemort?'
'I cannot tell you. You are not ready. I left a copy for Dumbledore's eyes only. It will be up to him to tell you when the time is right.'
Harry fought down the incredible urge to scream at him. He was so tired of everyone keeping secrets from him. During all these years Dumbledore had already kept a prophecy from him where it was predicted that either he or Voldemort were to destroy the other, and now Firenze is doing the same thing.
'Please don't be angry, Harry Potter. It has nothing to do with the present problem anyway.'

'Then what the heck does?' Harry spat.
'Only this:' Firenze said, not giving a hint of being upset with Harry for snapping at him. 'Be warned Harry. Do not confront the Menace… the Vampire!'
'Why not?'
'Because you will not win.'
'I won't win?'
'No.'
'Nothing else you can tell me? Like who it is?'
'No. I do not know the identity of the Menace. I'm sorry Harry Potter; I have no more information to give you. Except that there will be more death.'
Harry winced. 'No! I can't let that happen!'
'It is unavoidable. It is foretold.'
'Well I have a lead. I'm going to expose him before he can do anything else!' Harry turned on his heels and walked to the door.

'Harry Potter.' Firenze called, as Harry was halfway outside the forest-filled classroom through the door. He stopped and listened.
'Remain on the path that is chosen for you. Your destiny is meant for a world larger than you can imagine, but only if you remain on the route of which you already are guided on. Otherwise all will be lost.'
'Is that the prophecy?'
'No. It's an advice… from your friend.' Firenze said in a strange tone. Harry walked out, thinking about what the Centaur had said. He didn't understand what Firenze had meant by his words, but it was his tone that somehow made Harry feel uneasy. It almost sounded like he said goodbye.


********************************************************************************************************************


Dear Remus.

I did not have a pleasant return to Hogwarts - the Vampire had struck again. Justin Finch-Fletchley, a Hufflepuff student of my year was the victim this time. But I have a lead…

I think the Vampire is Victor Krum: the Bulgarian Quidditch-player who graduated Durmstrang almost two years ago, and who was a champion in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. I caught him with an artefact belonging to the first victim that no one else but his killer would've been able to get his hold on, and he was acting strange when he saw me.

I believe he still holds it against me that it was I who won the Tournament and not him, and therefore holds a grudge against me. I'm going to keep a close eye on him - don't worry, I won't confront him. Once I'm sure of my suspicion, I'll contact you again.

I hope you are well.

Your friend
Harry


Harry reread the letter two times before he decided he was pleased. Calling down Hedwig from an overhead perch, he tied it to her leg.
'You be a good girl and take this to Remus Lupin, will ya?' Hedwig gently nipped his fingers as a reply and flew off. Having nothing more there to do, Harry walked out from the Owlery and headed back to Gryffindor tower. There was nothing more he could do now until school started again.


********************************************************************************************************************


It was almost midnight and Firenze paced around in his classroom eleven, waiting. He regretted that he was unable to tell young Harry Potter everything he knew, but even though he'd been banished from his kin, he still held some of the Centaurs creed dear: Centaurs are only concerned with what has been foretold. Harry was not yet to be told of what he had read in the heavens, and he himself must accept that which is inevitable - that which is his destiny. He had read what was to come after Harry's last visit, but not how it would come. He would not embrace it without a fight though. He only wished that he would not have to wait much longer, the wait was more nerve taking than his upcoming fate.
He suddenly stopped his pace. There was a strange sensation in the back of his mind - like some kind of… buzzing. Firenze tensed and extended his senses - which was hard thanks to the strange interference in his free will. He was certain that somebody was here.

'Incarcerous!'
Ropes suddenly wrapped themselves around Firenze's torso and legs, binding him tightly. He reared on to his hind legs, flexing his muscles to try and break the wires…
'Save it, Centaur.' A gruff voice said. 'The more you struggle, the more the ropes vill tighten.'
'So… you're the one.' Firenze said as Viktor Krum emerged into the clearing, wand pointing towards the other. 'You're the menace of Hogwarts.'
'That is not of your concern, and should never haff been.' Krum glowered angrily at the Centaur. 'People should not stick noses in business they haff nothing to do vith, but I did not expect your kind to do that. Vere Centaurs not svorn to stay out of the foretold events?'
'I'm a teacher!' Firenze retorted. 'I have a responsibility to protect the students from danger!'
'Hov noble... ' Krum snorted. 'But very foolish. Your renegade choice of life haff brought you nothing but a premature death! Yes you vill die - you know too much.'
'Killing me won't help you. Others know more than I do.' Firenze warned.

'You mean Potter!' Krum spat. 'Saint Potter, the hero. He is but an obstacle. Once his purpose is fulfilled, he vill die as vell.'
'Don't underestimate Harry Potter, young man. He has powers you cannot possibly imagine.'
'Oh, shut up!' Krum spat again. 'I am so tired of all the praise-talk about him. Hermy-own-ninny still talks about him a lot, it is tiresome. It is of course because of his so called powers I am here, but it vill not be long until he vill be nothing more than a memory - just like you vill be.'
'Killing me will gain you nothing. And I warn you Viktor Krum; come near me to drink my blood and I will trample you under my feet. Although tied together, I can still give you a good stomp.'
'Your blood? Centaur blood is of no interest to me.'
'Your going to Avada Kedavra me then?' Firenze smiled. 'The staff won't rest until they find the culprit.'

'Who says I vill personally kill you?' Now Krum was the one who smiled. 'I knov your story. There are others vho vill be happy to do it for me.'
Firenze's insides chilled when he realized what Krum had in mind. 'You cold-blooded sorry excuse for a human.' Firenze whispered. 'You're no better than the Dark Lord.'
'The Dark Lord does not concern me. I haff my own plans… my own quest for power!' Krum had a dreamy expression for a moment in which Firenze could see a hint of pure greed in his eyes. He realized that Krum was highly ambitious and arrogant… the kind of people whom were impossible to negotiate with.
'Ready to go for your last valk?' Krum asked, coming out of his temporary dreamy state.
'I will not cooperate! As long as I have my free will, I will fight you, you Dark Menace!'
'A Centaurs brain is hard to control, is it not?' Krum said with a smile. 'I suppose I just haff to boost the pover! Imperio!'

Firenze's mind suddenly became empty. All there was in him was the weird buzzing in the back of his mind and Krum's voice. 'Nov let's go for that valk, shall ve?' Krum said as he released Firenze from his bindings. And then the two of them walked out of classroom eleven - Firenze had no powers at all to resist.
As it was after curfew, they did not meet anyone, and they walked out of the castle without anyone to stop them. And even if they had met anyone, who could say anything? Firenze was a teacher; Viktor Krum was a Professor's assistant. It was within their total rights to walk outside of the castle.
Under Krum's influence, the two of them walked passed Hagrid's abandoned hut and proceeded into the Dark forest. Deeper and deeper inside they walked, now totally swallowed by the darkness. Once Krum was satisfied with the length of their walk, he stopped and partly released Firenze of the Imperius-curse.
'This is vhere ve part vays, Professor Firenze.' Krum said. 'But I am sure you vill enjoy the company of the others in this forest.'
'One day Viktor Krum…' Firenze struggled to talk. The Imperious-curse was still holding him strongly. 'One day your destiny will catch up with you… and that day you will find that your path of life never took you to any glory… Your own death will be only but a waste, just as your life right now is nothing but a waste.'

'I see only your life being a vaste.' Viktor told him. 'Had you not turned against the beliefs of your own kind, you vould still live to read the stars. Take a last look at them, vhy don't you? I bet they are telling you that you have reached the end of your own path. Goodbye Professor Firenze.' And with that Krum left, leaving the unfortunate Centaur alone in the middle of the forest where he was born, and where he was going to die. He knew he was going to, he had read it before he lost that ability: after Harry Potter had visited him one last time, his own path had reached its end. That was why he didn't run now, although he was able to - Krum had removed the curse completely. Who was he to defy what was written in the stars?
There was a whistle in the air - and then suddenly an arrow buried itself into his shoulder.
'The traitor has returned!' a harsh voice shouted. 'Do you seek to dishonour yourself even further by crawling back looking for our forgiveness? Or are you but a fool?'
'Bane.' Firenze's voice trembled of the pain. 'I know what I have done, but I am not foolish enough to seek something I know I can never gain. I am not here by my own choice!'

'You're not, are you?' Ronan the Centaur came out of the forest.
'No. I was brought here against my will, with a spell cast upon me by a resident of the castle.'
'Then you have dishonoured yourself even lower if you allow a mere human to control your actions.' Ronan snapped.
'You are a disgrace, Firenze!' Bane roared.
'Not a human!' Firenze cried out. 'A Menace! A creature of the night! It was written in the stars, telling us of its arrival to our land. You must've seen it!'
'We've seen it.' A calmer voice said. Magorian joined the other two Centaurs and several more were coming into view. 'And as you know: we are sworn not to set ourselves against the heavens. This Dark Menace is of no concern of ours, nor should it have been yours.'
'We cannot ignore everything that which transpires in the world!' Firenze yelled, clutching his bleeding wound. 'The forces of darkness is even now spreading throughout the planet upon which we live! Sooner or later you will be involved, and if we don't act before it's too late, we will never be free to concern ourselves with our own business again! I saw that early, that's why I sided with the humans! If you value our cause, you must do it too!'

'SILENCE!!' Bane screamed, leaping forward and backhanded the outcast across the face.
'We do not side with humans, Firenze. We are a race apart who has and always will fend for ourselves.' Magorian said. 'Any other path's are unthinkable.'
'Then so be it.' Firenze sighed. 'I pray that a day will not come when you are proven wrong.'
'Blasphemy!!' Several other Centaurs raged. 'The stars will guide us, and woe to anyone who dares to cross our ways.'
'Then I will leave you to your way and respect it. I ask you to respect my choice, and I promise that our path's will never be crossed again.'
'Do you think we will just let you walk away from here?' several others spat.
'I did not come here by choice!' Firenze said. 'No matter what our differences are, we're still brothers! Does that mean nothing?'
Several of the Centaurs only answered by putting arrows to their longbows.
'It does not matter if you came here by choice or not, you are here now.' Magorian said flatly. 'And you knew that you would die when you betrayed our cause. Now its time for you to pay for that betrayal!'
The arrows were released.


********************************************************************************************************************


The sun had not fully arisen over the snow-covered land when Harry came out with his Firebolt. He had not slept well that night, his mind being occupied with all that had happened. Hoping to clear his mind with what he liked to do best, he mounted his broomstick and took off into the air. But not even the usual exhilarating feeling he otherwise always felt when he was flying would come to him this time, he was too distraught.
Had he still been taking the Occlumency lessons, Snape would really tell him off for not working on clearing his mind - but those lessons had stopped after Harry had made that disturbing discovery in one of Snape's memories of how his father had bullied Snape as a student. Harry had been relieved when he didn't have to attend to those lessons anymore after that, but maybe if he had, then Sirius might still have been alive. Harry shook his head - there was no point on dwelling on the past of how it might have been had his Godfather still been alive - Harry knew that Sirius had wanted him to go on even though his death had hurt him painfully. Even though Dumbledore took the blame for Sirius death, Harry would forever feel partly guilty for it.

It was strange that Dumbledore had not made Harry resume Occlumency lessons this year - but of course: Dumbledore wasn't even in school - he couldn't tell Harry to do and not do, he was busy with hunting down Voldemort.
Again it hit Harry on how quiet Voldemort had been since their encounter in the Ministry. Although Harry had felt at ease with not having any pain in his scar for several months, it was disturbing to think that he was bidding his time like this - like if he maybe was planning something big that would by no doubt mean trouble for the Wizard-world.
Harry flew around the tall towers when something caught his eyes - Thestrals - a flock of them was down beside Hagrid's hut. Being one of the few people who could actually see them, he swooped down to investigate. He knew the Thestrals would not hurt him - he himself had ridden on one of them. True enough, the Thestrals did not react to Harry's presence as he landed beside them - they were just busy doing what they were doing, and Harry could see now that they were eating on something. At first Harry wondered if someone - (Professor Grubbly-Plank maybe?) - had brought them another dead cow to eat. Then he saw the bloody mass that was being eaten…

Harry almost threw up - he saw a human-like head lying to the side - with a face he was well familiar with… Firenze!
Harry immediately ran away from the macabre sight - he didn't want to believe what he'd just seen. They're eating Firenze! Firenze is dead! But how? He was leaning against wall of Hagrid's hut, trying to keep his breakfast down - and that's when he saw the arrow stuck on the door - with a roll of parchment tied around it. With trembling hands he removed the parchment from the arrow and unrolled it - he almost vomited again when the letters written in blood - probably Firenze's blood - were exposed. He forced himself to read the words…

Thus is the fate of all who crosses the path of the Centaurs! The price of treachery has been paid!
Be warned! Stay out of our domain or suffer the same fate as the one who had foolishly sided with you!

Centaurs do not enter servitude with humans and never will! Do not cross us again!

Harry's illness subsided to a sudden anger. Those bloody Centaurs! Who do they think they are? What gives them the right to rule over who live and die?
Harry wanted to stop the Thestrals from eating his deceased friend - he wanted Firenze to rather have a proper burial, but he didn't know enough about the horse-like creatures - to interfere with them while they were eating could be quite ill advised, but yet he had to do something.
And all in all, there was only one thing he could do: report it! He sprinted off towards the castle - in no time he had rushed through the corridors and stopped in front of the Gargoyle statue that blocked the stairs to Dumbledore's office which Professor McGonagall were currently using.
'Mistletoe.' He breathed. There was no reaction.
Damn! What a perfect timing for her to change the password! With Dumbledore he could at least guess the names of a lot of sweets, but with McGonagall…?
'Er… Christmas? Fairy lights?' There was still no reaction from the statue. 'C'mon, give me a hint! I must get in… '
'What are you doing, Potter?' a deep silky voice interrupted him.

'Professor Snape! I must see Professor McGonagall immediately!' Harry said in a rush.
'What is it with you anyway?' Snape asked. 'If you can't disturb Dumbledore, do you really have to disturb our deputy Headmistress? I won't let… '
'This is urgent!' Harry yelled.
'Behave Potter! Fifteen points from Gryffindor! Just because its holiday does not mean that you can… '
'Firenze is dead!!'
This actually caught Snape's attention. 'What?'
'His body is down at Hagrid's, being eaten by Thestrals this very moment. The other Centaurs killed him! Look, here's a letter from them…'
Harry handed the letter to Snape who read it. Harry could actually tell from the look on his face that this disturbed him. With a grim face, Snape handed back the letter to Harry and then said:
'Liberation.' The Gargoyle jumped aside and Snape walked away without another word. Harry had to admit it: when it really was serious, Snape would do his duty no matter what he thought of Harry.

Or would he? Snape would not listen to him in his fourth year when Barty Crouch Senior had stumbled into Hogwarts grounds in his maddened state. Had he had a change of heart? Or was it the influence of the Vampire that had changed him?
Harry would think about that later. Right now his main concern was to report the death of Firenze to Professor McGonagall. Harry's heart felt heavy.
Another friend had been lost.


Author's notes:

I really got nothing against Firenze; my only problem is that I couldn't use him. And it added to the horrors of this story if one of the teachers were to be killed.

I kept my three-week limit this time; even though I know you'd like the chapters to come faster. I'll see what I can do.

Be well.