Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Menace by Tazer
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Menace

Tazer


Disclaimer: The characters of this fiction are borrowed and used as a tribute to the wonderful world created by J.K. Rowling. They're not mine, never were and never will be. No money is being made on this either.


Author's notes:

Phew. It took time to finish this chapter, longer than I had figured. Sorry for the delay.

I want to give a special Thank you to Jenni Miller for your long reviews. It pleases me that you enjoy my story. Thank you also for the offer of being my beta, but I respectfully decline. I'm the type of guy who feels that I should advance my writing by finding and learning from my own mistakes instead of having others finding them for me. Otherwise I'll just write and won't correct it by thinking: 'No matter if this is a miss-grammar, my beta will correct them for me.' Should I change my mind though, I'll be happy to take up on your offer.

freak27thatsme. You commented that Hermione had a bit of a POV, and wondered if it should be like this. The answer is yes: I need to write from other POVs for all of you to get the full grasp of this story. Sorry for the confusions with the 'Favourite plants'. I meant that every student was to use the seed of a flower each and one of them had a special liking for.

To the rest of you: Thank you so much for your reviews. I hope you like this chapter.

On with the story.


************************************


A week had passed since Gryffindor's crushing victory over Ravenclaw. Roger Davies was still a bit miffed about it, but the rest of his house soon learned to deal with it. Since they on some occasions shared classes with the Gryffindors and the fact that some Ravenclaws were members off the DA-group, there was really no alternative. Meanwhile the Gryffindor Quidditch team was a week afterwards still highly praised by the rest of the house. All the girls including Ginny were quite unused to the attention they were given that they sometimes preferred to stay in their respective dormitories, but Ron gloated… never missing an opportunity to stand in the middle of attention. Harry was strangely enough spared from the praises, maybe because he was the veteran and his performance was a common legend in Hogwarts that his actions no longer included any surprises. That suited him fine though. Harry has never been one that enjoyed attention.

Fortunately for the Quidditch girls, all praises were forgotten when they had lessons or DA-meetings, like now. They were once again in the Room of Requirements where Harry taught them to defend themselves. Harry wanted them to continue duelling against each other before he went back to more advanced teachings, he wanted them to get the feel of 'danger', so that they could enhance their sense of reactions instead of being caught of guard. Harry had explained to them that should that ever happen, and then it would be all over before they even had a chance to draw their wands. All the members now stood facing each other, throwing jinxes of their own choice. Harry decided that it was time to confuse them. He blew in the whistle.

'All right ladies, gentlemen. I can see that you are beginning to learn your opponents' moves that you have easier time deflecting the curses sent at you. I'm sorry, but we can't have that. I want you to switch partners…' Some groaned, but they all complied. Hermione didn't mind, her superior knowledge of jinxes and curses gave her no real match. Susan Bones actually looked happy to leave and find another to duel with. Hermione was looking for Ginny to duel against when somebody addressed her.
'Hermione. How about us two?'
Hermione narrowed her eyes. It was Cho. Now what did she have in mind? Yet she nodded and took a battle stance.
'Rictusempra!' yelled Cho without warning.
'Protego!' Hermione shouted and blocked Cho's curse. 'Stupefy!' she sent a curse of her own. Thanks to her Quidditch-reflexes, Cho managed to duck.
'Please refrain from trying to stun me for the moment. I'd like to have a word with you while the others are busy and won't listen.' Cho told Hermione. The latter became suspicious, but showed her opponent that she was listening.

'I want to know what your game is. Tarantallegra!'
With an inaudible voice, Hermione deflected Cho's attack. 'What game? Locomotor Mortis!'
Hermione's Leg-Locker curse caught Cho off guard and she was hit. She almost lost her balance before she pointed her own wand to her legs and mumbled: 'Finite Incantatem.' Cho looked back up, being a bit annoyed, but remained neutral in her voice.
'I know you disapprove of my relationship with Harry.' She said plainly.
Hermione felt her stomach twist. Well, if Cho wants to play honest with her, then she could be honest back. 'That's because I know that you disapprove of me being his friend.'
'Can you blame me?' Cho asked. 'Your reputation during the years hasn't exactly been… modest.'
'What's that suppose to mean?' Hermione asked angrily.
'Two years ago. The articles in the Daily Prophet by Rita Skeeter. Need I say more? Confundus!'
'Deleto!'
Cho raised her eyebrows. To delete a charm cast by another person was extremely difficult, because the timing and sense had to be precise. Yet Hermione had done it superbly.

Rita Skeeter had claimed that Hermione had a taste for famous wizards and had toyed with their affections. That had not been an enjoyable time for the young teenager. 'Those articles about me, Krum and Harry were all lies.' Hermione snapped as she sent a Jelly-legs curse at Cho. Cho deflected it more by luck rather than expertise.
'Does that mean that her article in the Quibbler last year was also a lie?' she asked Hermione.
'No. The circumstances were different.'
'But there must've been some kind of truth behind the other one's.' Cho said as she threw another curse at her opponent.
'There never were!' Hermione bellowed furiously as she sent Cho's curse back at her.
'Then why…' Cho panted after she had jumped out of the way. '…are you're doing it again?'

Cho realized too late that she had pushed the other a little too far. With a cry of rage, Hermione threw a shock-blast curse at Cho, which sent her flying backwards. Fortunately for her she landed on a pile of cushions, but her aching ribs were going to be a reminder of the incident for the rest of the day.
'Cho? Are you all right?' Harry asked concerned from the other end of the room.
'I'm fine!' she called to him. 'You don't need to come here, continue helping the others.'
'Are you sure?'
'Yes dear, don't worry.' Cho said giving him a smile as she got on her feet. She didn't think Harry had even noticed whom it was she was duelling. Once again in position, she came face to face with Hermione's enraged expression.
'Don't… you… dare… accuse… me… of… such… things!' Hermione whispered viciously, holding out her wand in a threatening manner. 'I would never toy with another person's affections. Ever! Harry is the best friend I ever had, I would die before hurting him!'

Cho could see in Hermione's eyes that she was completely sincere. 'But… then I don't understand? You belong to another person and yet I've seen you going a bit flirty with Harry… you always smile to him and…'
'I belong to no one! What ever gave you that idea?' Hermione snapped. 'And as for Harry, I repeat: He is my friend, that's why I always smile at him! And no matter what you think of me, I will never betray him, no matter what decisions he'll make in life!'
'Then…' Cho said after a moment. 'There is somebody in your vicinity that's lying to you.'
That caught Hermione off guard. 'Somebody's lying? A-about what? Why?'
'I'm not entirely sure about what, as for 'why', that is completely beyond me. This is something you will have to work out for yourself. We may not be eye-to-eye with each other Hermione, but I don't like the idea that somebody is using you in a dishonest way.' Cho said with sympathy.
Hermione stood aghast, having lost her composure completely.

'Expelliarmus!' Cho yelled triumphantly, seizing her chance. Hermione took the blast in her chest and she staggered, her wand flying away from her. Cho followed the wand with her eyes, preparing to catch it if the opportunity presented itself. But as she followed it, she witnessed how the wand seemed to change direction in midair, and flew back right into Hermione's hand.
'What? How…?' Cho gasped wide-eyed.
'Scipio Coagmentatio.' Hermione answered as she got back on her feet. 'The Wand-link charm.'
Cho dropped her mouth. That charm connected the wand to the Wizard or Witch it had chosen with a magical link so if it should be separated from it's master by an offensive force, it would return as if drawn by a magnet. It also provided the wand with the ability to seek out the closest source of its owner in case the wand would be left behind.

'Y-you can't do that!!' an astonished Cho said loudly. 'That's way too advanced to be taught in this school!! Not even fully trained Aurors can ever learn to perform that charm!!'
'Petrificus Totalus!' The full Body-Bind charm caught Cho straight on, and she fell to the floor completely stiff, the only thing moving were her eyes. They fastened on Hermione as she looked down at her.
'Yes, it's very advanced.' She said. 'It wasn't until last week I finally managed to perform the necessary ritual correctly, after having spent the whole summer reading everything about it. But as you saw, it was worth it as the charm's very handy in situations like this.'
But she felt no satisfaction as she said this. She was too distraught with the things Cho had told her. Hermione looked around: no one seemed to have noticed their exchange; therefore no one had any guilty look on his or her face. But if somebody in this room was indeed lying to her, then she vowed to find out whom it might be.


********************************************************************************************************************


The following week also passed without any incidents, and it was the lack of those things that sometimes confused Harry. What Harry found strange was that even though he had several run-ins with Draco Malfoy, the Slytherin student never threw him any bad remark anymore. Harry had seen in Malfoy's eyes the usual loathing, the look of total disgust towards him every time they met in the corridors or in the classes, but just as Draco was about to say something, it was as if a spell had been cast over him. He always shut his mouth and walked away with his high and mighty superiority without saying a word to Harry. While others said that they enjoyed the new silent Draco Malfoy, Harry and Ron took it as a bad omen and vowed to be extra careful around him from that moment. Both of them were sure that Draco Malfoy had something bad up his sleeve, and he was just careful to not draw any attention to himself until such time when he would use it, whatever it was. Hermione thought they were being paranoid, but kept it to herself.

The first Hogsmeade Weekend finally arrived, and almost every student from third year and up was getting ready to go. Harry was getting ready too, but not for Hogsmeade. Even though he wasn't to meet Cho down the lake until midday for their picnic, he was taking much effort to look more presentable.
'Give up Harry.' Ron joked. 'You'll never tame that mess you call hair.'
Harry sighed as he watched his reflection in the mirror. Ron was right; no matter how much time he spent combing his hair, that black mess would stay unruly.
'I only hope Cho won't mind it too much.' He told Ron.
'She hasn't got any problem with it so far mate. Why should she start now?'
Harry grinned at his friend as they walked down to the common room. It was filled with students who waited for their friends to get ready.

'Have you got food ready for your picnic Harry?' Ron asked with a smirk.
'Dobby helps me with that.' Harry explained going a bit red. 'He's absolutely thrilled about it. So what are you planning on doing today at the village?'
'I'm going with Ginny and Hermione. I guess we'll just hang out on the Three Broomsticks or walk in the shops.' Ron told him.
'Tough luck, mate. I know you'd rather spend some time with Hermione alone.'
Ron blushed at that, but he also looked a bit nervous. 'Er… yeah, right. Don't talk so loud, please?'
'Why don't you try to hook up Ginny with some of her friends?' Harry teased him. 'Then you can take Hermione to Madam Puddifoot's teashop. Many couples go there for some coffee and some private snogging.' Ron blushed even harder, and Harry felt a strange tingling in his gut as he said this. But he guessed he just envied the two of them because he wanted the chance to do that with Cho.

'Harry James Potter!'
Harry spun around. Hermione was standing below the stairs to the girl's dormitories, hands on her hips and looking sour.
'What was that suppose to mean?' She had obviously heard what Harry was saying. 'What kind of a girl do you take me for?'
'Come on, Hermione.' Harry said calmly. 'You must know that I didn't mean anything bad, I was just teasing you two.'
'Really! That was kind of an inappropriate teasing if you ask me.' She half snorted, but had now relaxed a bit.
'I would never have said it if you weren't his girlfriend.' Harry then said.
'WHAT?' Hermione yelled so loudly that the whole common room went quiet.
'You are together aren't you?' Harry asked bewildered.
'What gave you that idea?' Hermione asked in an aggravated and suspicious voice.
'Ron told me that in his letter he sent me on my birthday.' Harry said, now even more bewildered. 'Didn't you Ron? You said…' But Harry stopped himself as he looked at Ron. Ron's face was pale and was all sweaty. He looked like he was facing a squad of executioners.

'Ron? What is the meaning of this?' Hermione asked enraged. 'Did you claim that we were together?'
'Ron? Were you lying to me?' Harry asked now totally confused. The common room was now uncomfortably quiet. Harry knew that everyone was listening to this conversation.
'I… I wasn't lying, I…' Ron stammered. 'I… exaggerated.'
'Exaggerated? Exaggerated?!' Hermione was now so mad that her bushy hair seemed to crackle with electricity. 'Just what did you think you were doing? Did you think that you could just claim me as a possession?'
'B… but… you gave me all the signs!' Ron tried to explain.
'WHAT SIGNS?'
'I really thought you fancied me. That kiss you gave me last year before my first match and you staying at my home…'
'That was a kiss for encouragement, you MORON!!' Hermione now yelled. 'And I stayed at the Burrow to help Ginny prepare for her OWLs like I said!! Do you think just because a girl kisses you on the cheek it means you're free to do your way with her? DO YOU?!'

'I… I…' Ron stammered.
'I can't believe you! You BASTARD!! I put up many stupid things from you, but that… that was the last STRAW!!' Totally enraged with tears in her eyes, Hermione escaped up the stairs to her dormitory and slammed the door shut so hard that the whole tower shook.

'But Hermione… Hermione!' Ron set off after her upwards the spiral staircase, but he didn't get far. Just like the year before, a loud, wailing klaxon was heard as he set his foot on the sixth stair and the steps melted together into a slippery stone slide, sending Ron tumbling back down. Once back on the common room sprawled on his back, Ron gazed up to the faces of Harry and Ginny who were looking down on him with scolding expressions.
'You've really dug yourself into a deep hole this time Ron.' Harry said shaking his head.
'And neglected to bring either a rope or ladder.' Ginny added, arms akimbo.
'Ginny.' Ron pleaded as he got on his feet. 'I can't go up there. Please go and talk to…'
'Forget it!' Ginny cut him off. 'I'm not going anywhere near her now that you've got her this upset. She'll go into a tantrum if I as your sister tries to interfere to bail you out. Besides she's got Crookshanks up there, he'll help her calm down.'
'Crookshanks is just a cat!' Ron protested.
'Not just any cat. He's her cat. No one understands you better than your own pet.'

Ron sighed. 'I knew that I had gone to far… but I didn't know how to fix the damage.'
'You could have told me the truth before Hermione found out.' Harry said.
'Yeah but… that would've made me look like a fool.' Ron said miserably.
'But not as big a fool as you've become now.' Ginny said. Ron stayed silent.
'So what do we do about her now?' Harry asked.
'Leave her alone for the time being, and have Ron stay out of her sight.' Ginny said. 'When she's ready to talk, she'll probably look one of us up. C'mon Ron, we'll just have to go to Hogsmeade by ourselves. Have a great picnic Harry.' And then Ginny dragged her brother out of the common room, which had now become devoid of students. 'Have fun in the village.' Harry called after them. When he was alone he threw a glance up the staircase to the girl's dormitories. But he decided against calling to Hermione, because he knew there was no way he could make her feel better after this. Sighing and silently cursing Ron again for his stupidity, he went down to the kitchen instead to see how Dobby was making it with the food he had ordered for the picnic.


********************************************************************************************************************


The Weasley siblings hadn't said a word to each other during their travel down to Hogsmeade, and the silence of his sister was driving Ron to the edge. He was waiting for the inevitable explosion and it made him nervous when it wouldn't come. When they had reached the middle of the main street, Ron finally turned to Ginny.
'Go on then! I know it's coming, just say it! Let's get this over with!'
'All right. But remember, you asked for this.' Ginny said too sweetly for Ron's taste. But then her tone dropped straight down.
'Are you out of your mind?!' she yelled at him. 'How could you even do such a thing to her? What made you think that you could claim her as a girlfriend just like that?'
'I told you why I did it.' Ron said in a downcast voice. 'I thought she was giving me the signs and I…'
'Oh, don't give me that crap!' Ginny spat. 'I believe I have the perfect idea of why you did it, because underneath you knew all along… didn't you?'
Ron was quiet a few seconds before he asked her: 'It's true then?'

'Quite true.' Ginny answered with a nod. 'Hermione is in love with Harry.'
Ron let out a disappointed sigh as his suspicions were confirmed. 'How long?'
'During her third year, on Christmas day. When Harry received his Firebolt from Sirius Black, she was almost certain it was jinxed somehow, and the thought of Harry getting hurt on it scared her a lot. Didn't you notice how Hermione after that time was always looking out for him?'
'She fell for him when he got his Firebolt? Just like that?'
Ginny rolled her eyes. 'That was when she realized her feelings for him you dolt. It is unknown how long they've really been there.'
'Couldn't she have said anything before I went making a fool out of myself?' Ron muttered.
'Ron, she was much younger then.' Ginny said impatiently. 'Besides, Harry then got obsessed with Cho, and I had my silly crush on him as well. You really have no idea how good-hearted Hermione really is, do you? She would never try to drive a wedge between other people's hopes and dreams to satisfy her own feelings. She'd much rather wait to see what happens.'

Ron took it all in, and although it didn't happen very often, he began to hit the true conclusions.
'The two of you were very secret this summer.' Ron said to his sister. 'All giggling, and Hermione blushed quite often when you whispered something in her ear. And that was before we heard about Harry's first collapse. You were pepping her to tell him, didn't you?'
'Yes. It looked like Cho was out of the picture at that time and I had gotten over my crush on him. I helped her build up the courage she needed to finally express her feelings for him.' Ginny said looking a bit sad. 'She also send him something special on his birthday as a kind of hint… but it looks like he never opened it. I can't figure out why.'
'You helped her build up the courage. But didn't you stop to think how I would take it? You knew about my affections for her!'
'Ron!' Ginny said as if she was scolding a difficult child. 'You never told me about it, but I had my suspicions. And Ron, I'm sorry but… the two of you would never fit together. There is a saying that opposites attract, but the two of you are way too different! You are too stubborn with your impulsive ideas and she… she needs to be treated with a certain kind of respect that you can't give her.'

'What respect?'
'Respect for her love for books! Respect for her being the way she is! If it were up to you, you would try to change her wouldn't you? Confess Ron, you would!'
'Of course I wouldn't!' Ron objected.
'Wouldn't you?' Ginny shot back at her brother. 'Tell me something Ron, if you ever would get together with Hermione, how were you planning to spend your time with her?'
'I would take her out for some fun of course. I would loosen her up a bit so that she wouldn't spend so much time with her bloody books…'
'She likes spending her time with her bloody books.' Ginny put in quietly, looking up the air instead of him.
'I would bring her along every Quidditch match, and then we'd have fun at the celebrations after we win…'
'More like you have fun…' Ginny muttered.
'We'd go drunk and wild, and then we would…'
'Ron!'
'What?'

'Aren't you forgetting who you are talking about here? Get Hermione drunk and wild?' Ginny half snorted, half laughed. 'I thought you knew. Hermione's got total zero tolerance for alcohol and drinkers.'
'What? That's not possible, she's drinking Butterbeer…'
'Which isn't strong enough to affect someone. Surely you don't think Madam Rosmerta serves strong stuff to juveniles?'
'That's another thing I'm going to have to change then…' Ron thought loudly to himself.
'RON!'
'Stop yelling at me, Ginny!'
'Aren't you listening to what you're saying? Not only do you want to change her, you also want to destroy her!'
'No, I want to loosen her up…'
'You want to destroy her!' Ginny repeated. 'How you even thought about what she likes to do? Hermione may look like a workaholic, but she's really a person who enjoys a quiet evening at home, enjoys walking in the forest and prefers to stay away from the hectic life that you enjoy. She's a person who would just settle with a calm life.'
'I can't live that kind of life…!' Ron began to argue.
'Exactly.' Ginny interrupted him in haste and then spoke just as quickly with an exasperated tone: 'That is why Hermione is not the one that would fit you. I thought it had already gotten into your thick skull since this is the kind of thing you always end up bickering at each other with. Just what kind of relationship would it be where none of you can't get along?'

Ginny took a deep breath to force herself to calm down. 'Why her?' she then asked him. 'Why were you trying to get her?'
Ron didn't seem to know what to answer. 'Well… because I find her attractive, I guess…'
'That's it?' Ginny asked him sternly.
'Should any more count?'
Ginny slapped a hand over her forehead in a kind of 'Spare me of your stupidity' gesture. 'Merlin… Ron…' she whispered. 'I ought to tell Mum to have a long chat with you about girls…'
'I don't need Mum for that. You have taken her role quite much these days. I still wonder what has happened to you Ginny? Why are you acting like this?'
'I suppose our adventure in the Ministry of Magic before the summer made me grow up. But never mind that now, just answer me this: Do you find Pansy Parkinson attractive?'
'WHAT? Of course not, she's a Slytherin!'
'If she weren't, would you find her attractive enough to try to be with?'
'Ginny! She's a Slytherin!' Ron repeated.

'Just answer my question. Do you think she's pretty? Never mind her being a Slytherin for the moment.'
Ron groaned before he reluctantly said: 'I can't deny that she got the looks…'
'But you don't want to be with her because you know what's really underneath the 'package'.'
'Right.'
'And it's the same with Hermione. You only look at the 'wrapping', not what's underneath.' Ginny pointed out. 'Now I want you to forget that you think Hermione is pretty, just remember her personality from day one that you met her. Think of the time you spent with her and what usually happened… can you really imagine yourself to be with her?'

Although feeling annoyed with his sister, Ron did this. He remembered the first time he met Hermione, remembering how much she got on his nerves with her bossy attitude, something that she sometimes can still do today… He remembered how she would always jump on his case once he was about to break a rule or do something that would get on her nerve… Remembering how she always quoted Hogwarts: A History in a superior attitude… And he remembered their fight in the Common room after the Yule-ball… That had been one of their most heated arguments where he knew that Hermione was furious with him because he didn't approve of her dating Victor Krum… It was as if he had been trying to control her life, like he was telling her whom she could date and not date…

Ginny's words finally hit him like a sledgehammer. He had been trying to control Hermione, in a form of a self-defensive manner. He'd been trying to break her off her habit of being annoyingly bossy… and be more of a girl instead, but of his vision of a girl, which Hermione really was not. Ron realized now that he really never could live with Hermione a long time with the way she is…
He felt his knees buckle under him as he felt the sudden urge to sit down. He remained on his feet though.
'Merlin… I've been an idiot.' Ron gasped. His stupidity had possibly now ruined their friendship.

'You definitely been.' Ginny said as she let out a sigh of relief now that she finally gotten her brother to understand. 'Now maybe you can answer me why you tried to claim her for yourself when you knew deep down that she had those feelings for Harry?'
'Because… because Harry can really have any girl he wants…' Ron stammered. 'He's famous and all… and I couldn't stand the thought of him having Hermione since I… thought… I wanted her myself. That's why I said that we were together… so that Harry wouldn't bother looking her way…'
'And thanks to that; Hermione now probably thinks that that added to Harry's new-found interest for Cho.' Ginny said. 'I wonder if she ever will speak to you again after this.'
Ron looked miserable.

'This is quite a harsh lesson I hope you've learned today Ron. Never claim anything that's not true or that was never yours to begin with. Now let's go to the Three Broomstick's for a Butterbeer.'
The brother and sister walked in silence again down the street that led to the Three Broomstick's that they entered. Because of their long talk, other students who got there before them had already taken every seat.
'Quite crowded today.' Ron commented.
'Yes. No empty seats anywhere except for… ah. There's Luna. She's got a table for herself, we can join her.'
'Join Luna?' Ron exclaimed. 'Ginny, she's loony...' But that earned him another disapproving glare from his sister.
'What did I just tell you out there Ron? Stop looking at the 'Wrapping', look underneath instead. Luna may be a bit strange but once you get to know her you'll find her really nice. Now come on.' And with that, Ginny dragged her brother over to the table with its lone occupant.


********************************************************************************************************************


Harry was once again trying to comb his hair, but to no avail. Resigning, he left the Gryffindor Tower and headed for the Great Hall where he would meet Cho. Down there he found some other students who for some reasons had not headed for Hogsmeade… Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil, together with her twin-sister Padma sat at one of the long tables, playing with what looked like a deck of cards.
'Well, here comes Cho's lover-boy…' Padma said as she spotted Harry.
'Come here lover-boy.' Lavender said with a grin. 'How about having your future with Cho read out for you?'
Harry groaned. He saw now that the three girls a deck of Tarot-cards in front of them. While he and Ron had decided not take up on NEWT-level Divination, it hadn't come as any surprise that Lavender and Parvati had. After all, they adored Professor Trelawney, the Divination-teacher.

'I jumped off Divination because I couldn't cope with that stuff…' Harry told them.
'You don't have the inner eye, Harry.' Parvati said.
'Whatever.' Harry answered her.
'But we do.' Lavender said.
'We already read some others their fortune…' Padma said.
'It kind of scared them off for some reason…' Parvati said.
'Now it's your turn.' Said Lavender.
'But I don't want to.' Harry said, looking for an escape.
'Don't be a chicken Harry. It's just a test.' Padma said.
'We'll read your fortune for today only, just to see how your picnic will progress…' Parvati said.
'It's a homework Harry. Surely you can give us a small hand with that? Please?' Lavender asked him, using puppy eyes. Harry sighed.
'All right. Read me my future for today then…'

The three girls looked delighted.
'You should know Harry, that the real secret behind the Tarot-cards are quite complex…' Padma said.
'Only a real seer can put the cards in the correct order for them to be able to gaze into the future.' Parvati said.
'You see, the cards does not 'serve' the seer, the seer and the cards work together… we have to use our intuitions to put them out correctly…' Lavender explained.
Their talk went over Harry's head. The only thing he understood was that the girls had put out the Tarot-cards on the table in a strange manner just guided with gut-feelings.
'Now… we want the cards to tell us how your day will be… Lavender, would you do the honours?'
'My pleasure Padma.' Lavender shut her eyes and let her hand hover a while over the cards before she slowly put it down on top of one of them.

'Ooh… this is exciting.' Parvati giggled. 'Harry. This card will show us an event that will take place before your eyes today.'
'Maybe it's the 'Lovers'?' Padma giggled.
'Could also be the 'Loner'.' Lavender warned him.
'I don't think I like the sound of this.' Harry mumbled.
'Harry Potter.' Parvati said. 'The main event of your day today will be…'
Lavender flipped up the card.
'AAAAHH!!' All three girls then screamed.
'What?' Harry asked bewildered. He couldn't understand what they were screaming about. The card Lavender had flipped up was nothing out of the ordinary that he could see. It was simply black with a white human skull in the middle…
Harry let out a loud annoyed sigh. He knew exactly what the matter was.

'It's… It's…' Padma stammered.
'It is Death.' Parvati croaked.
'Well that's cute!' Harry said feeling quite aggravated. 'Hadn't it been for the fact that Trelawney has predicted my death almost every day of the years I had Divination, I would maybe have been worried. Have a good day!' And then Harry stormed off away from them, leaving the three girls aghast and dumbfounded.
Harry was angry for those three trying to ruin his day, but he forgot about them when he spotted Cho waiting for him in front of the main doors.
'Hello Harry.' She greeted him with a smile.
'H-hello Cho. Wow, you look… you're beautiful.'

'Thank you Harry.' Cho blushed. She was dressed in a simple sleeveless white summer dress patterned with flowers that ended above her knees. She wore her black hair in a high ponytail and had put on a light makeup. 'Since this might be the last warm day of the year I just wanted to enjoy it outside the school uniform for once…'
Harry was speechless, but smiled. Cho took it as a good sign.
'Well… are we ready to go?' she asked.
Harry found his voice and answered her. 'Not yet. I'm still waiting for… ah. Just in time.' Dobby the house elf had suddenly appeared holding a basket.
'Here you are Harry Potter, sir.' Dobby happily squeaked. 'A basket full of food and a blanket for you and your girl.'
'Thank you Dobby. And please: just call me Harry.'
'Yes Harry Potter, sir. Enjoy your day Harry Potter, sir. And don't hesitate to call Dobby if you want something else Harry Potter, sir. Now if you'll excuse Dobby…' and then the house elf rushed off.

'He likes you a lot.' Cho giggled.
'Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't a mistake to free him.' Harry said this with a tone that said that he didn't mean it. 'Well… are we ready to go?' Harry asked Cho as he held out an arm for her. She happily looped her own arm around his and they walked out of the castle towards the lake.
It was indeed a beautiful warm day. Harry felt that this must be perfection when he for once could relax beside a girl without worrying about Voldemort. A bit from the castle they found a spot of solitude a bit away from the lake. Harry put down the blanket and invited Cho to sit down beside him, which she accepted. They ate the delicious food Dobby had provided and they talked. For once both felt that they could talk freely without feeling any form of awkwardness.
After two hours they had for the moment stopped talking and had even run out of food. Cho was leaning against Harry's chest and they just enjoyed each other's company.

'Harry. This might be quite early to even bring up but… what are you planning to do during Christmas?' Cho then asked him.
'I haven't given it a thought.' Harry said. 'Unless Ron's family invites me over, I suppose I'll just stay here as usual. There's no way I'm going home to the Dursley's.'
'You won't have to do either unless you want to.' Cho said. 'I was thinking of inviting you home to my hometown during Christmas. You could see where I live and you could meet my parents.'
The idea appealed to Harry. 'Where do you live?' he asked her.
'You'd be surprise if you saw how small the town where I live really is.' Cho laughed. 'Many says it is a town time has forgotten. It's far away from here on the outskirts of the modern civilisations, only two trains a day stops there.'
'Now that sounds like a town I should get to know better.' Harry said to her.
'You'll come then?' Cho asked hopefully, turning her head to face him.
'Why not? It'll be interesting to visit new places.'

Cho sneaked up an arm around the back of Harry's head and she pulled it down to hers, making their lips contact. They kissed for a moment before they broke apart, and they stared into each other's eyes.
'How much do you like me?' she asked him in a whisper.
'Cho, I'm absolutely crazy about you.' Harry whispered back.
'Do you like me enough to… I mean, what I'm trying to say is…' Harry had his arms around the other; he could feel her heartbeat increase. He was very curious on what she wanted to say, but he would not rush her.
'Harry. Do you… want me?'
Harry now felt his own heart beat harder. Was Cho really saying what he thought she was saying? Could this lovely day really end up in such a romantic way? To hell with Lavender's Tarot-cards.

'Cho? D-do you really feel this way…? Of what you're saying?' Harry felt incredibly warm, and it was not the sun that shone so bright.
'Can you feel this?' She put his hand over her heart. 'Do you feel the same?'
'I-I-I… feel the same as you do. I… I'd really like… if you'd want to…'
'Really? Can you prove it to me?'
'Tell me how.' Harry gasped.
'If you want me… You're going to have to catch me!' And then Cho jumped out of his embrace and rushed away. Teaser. Harry thought and leapt after her, laughing. Cho was actually quite quick, she kept avoiding him. Harry felt that he was enjoying this challenge and increased his speed to catch up with the giggling girl.


********************************************************************************************************************


Back in the Gryffindor tower, Hermione was not enjoying her day. The revelation of Ron's betrayal had left her feeling extremely lonely and sad, her eyes were puffy and red from all the crying. Right now she hated her life, she definitely hated Ron and she even felt a bit of hate for Harry, even though he hadn't actually done anything. She was so mad that she couldn't stay still, so she was right now slowly pacing around her dormitory, holding her cat Crookshanks to her chest as if he was a stuffed toy, taking the only love and support she had available right now.
She stopped at the window and looked outside, but she wished she hadn't. She saw Harry and Cho running down there, their body-language clearly saying that they were laughing and happy with each other's company. A sting of jealousy caught her, sending another tear from her eye.
'Why couldn't it be me down there, instead of her?' she muttered to her cat, who of course could not give her an answer.

The only thing that hurt even more than this was what she had said to Cho during their duel. I will never betray him, no matter what decisions he'll make in life. It meant that she had to respect Harry's choice, she only wished there was some way to subside the pain she felt though. Disgusted of the scene, she turned away from the window.

Hermione had at that moment no idea that she was lucky that it wasn't her down there at the lake.


********************************************************************************************************************


Harry was exhausted from the running; it was hard to catch up with Cho. But he could tell that she was tiring as well, it would only be a matter of time before he had her in his arms again. He saw his chance: Cho was almost at the lake, there was no way she could escape from there, and Harry had the feeling by the look of Cho's smiling face as she looked back at him that she knew this.
Harry, you're one lucky bastard. Harry thought to himself as he resumed his quick pace to catch up with her. Cho stood at the shore now.
She suddenly froze. And then she threw her hands to her face and let out a horrified scream. Harry was quickly by her side, all concerned now.
'Cho? What is it?' Cho didn't look at him; she just trembled all over, mouth agape, eyes wide open with fear. Harry followed her gaze… and froze.

In the water among the reeds floated the body of Daniel Cody, the fourth-year Ravenclaw boy who enjoyed swimming. Or to be more precise: what was left of Daniel Cody. His head with his unseeing eyes was hanging from only half of the flesh and sinew that used to be his neck, half of his naked torso was gone, it looked like his skin had been chewed off his visible ribcage. Of his left arm and leg, there was no sign.

Resisting the urge to throw up, Harry pulled Cho away from the terrible sight. He had to get to Hagrid's, to report this, all other thoughts of this lovely day that could have ended in a wonderful way was permanently banished from his mind.

Author's notes:

That was chapter 8, and the horrors have begun. (In a small scale though.)

For those who wonders:

Scipio is Latin for: Staff/ Wand.
Coagmentatio means: A connection.

Hermione's Wand-link charm will have an important role later on, more than that will I not say. Be prepared for that the next chapter might take some time. I studying for a Driver's licence right now and that take up much of my time. But I'll continue to write when I find the time.

See ya.