Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Menace by Tazer
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Menace

Tazer


Disclaimer: The characters of this fiction are borrowed and used as a tribute to the wonderful world created by J.K. Rowling. They're not mine, never were and never will be. No money is being made on this either.


Author's notes:
Thank you everyone for the reviews. I'm glad you enjoy this story, even though it goes a little slow in the beginning.


*************************************************

Daily Prophet
August 9:th

HARRY POTTER HAPPILY IN LOVE.

Yesterday several people witnessed how Harry Potter, The-Boy-Who-Lived, who recently had a collapse of stress, were sitting outside Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlour in Diagon Alley together with a stunningly attractive young girl. It has been confirmed that it wasn't long until the two of them shared a passionate moment of kissing. After some investigation the Daily Prophet can give all of you readers the identity of this lucky girl who captured Harry Potter's heart. The young girl's name is Cho Chang who is a fellow student to our young hero of Hogwarts School of witchcraft and wizardry. She's a Ravenclaw girl, just one year above Harry Potter. We've also learned that Harry had had his eyes on this lovely lady for some time now, and it seems that he finally built up the courage to ask her to be his girlfriend. Unfortunately the Daily Prophet has not been able to reach either Mr. Potter or Miss Chang for an exclusive interview, but we still wish the two lovebirds our congratulations and hope that they will be happy.


Harry shook his head as he once again read the three-week old article. It was amazing how fast things had progressed; he'd left the Dursley's as a wreck and now he felt like walking on clouds. The papers were right: Harry was happy, so happy that he had not had any more problems with his health at all. Cho had come by at least three times a week after that and they'd shared a great time together. It'd been so great that Harry hadn't even missed the absent company of his friends who he still hasn't met. But he would soon… Harry put down the old paper on top of his stuff in his trunk, beside the small parcels containing his birthday-presents from his friends that were still un-opened. (He hadn't found the will to open them.) He was finished packing as it was time to make his way to King's Cross to board the Hogwarts Express. Today he would for once be early; the sun hadn't really gone up yet. He would have to take the muggle bus to the station and he preferred to go before rush hour, since he has a heavy trunk and a birdcage to drag along with him.

The trip to King's Cross was a bit difficult because of the heavy trunk and the weird looks he got from the people, but about Nine o'clock he passed the magical barrier to platform Nine and three-quarters were the scarlet train stood waiting for the students. It was a relief to come this early, since he could choose any compartment he wanted. He took one along the middle of the train so that he could watch the people come through the magical barrier, he wanted to keep a lookout for Cho and his friends. As it still was early, Harry soon got tired of watching and decided to close his eyes for a while. He didn't know how long he'd been napping, but somebody who'd joined him in his compartment soon shook him awake. It was Luna Lovegood, a fifth-year Ravenclaw girl who had a reputation of being loony. She had dirty blonde hair and protuberant eyes, and as usual a copy of the Quibbler in her hand, since her father was the editor. She had joined Harry, Ron, Ginny, Hermione and Neville to the Ministry of Magic a little over two months before where Harry had rushed to rescue Sirius, whom Harry thought Voldemort had captured. It had been a fluke, but Sirius Black's life had been lost anyway.

Harry had gotten to know Luna a bit during his last year, and decided that her company probably wouldn't be so bad. Others found her odd, and Harry felt a bit sorry for her 'cause of that.
'Hello, Harry.' She greeted him dreamily.
'Hello Luna. Had a good summer?'
'Well, better than you I suppose?' she said vaguely as she sat down opposite him. Harry raised an eyebrow at her remark. 'We read about your collapse. I mean, me and my father.' She said plainly.
'You read the Daily Prophet?' Harry asked curiously.
'Sure. It's a way for my Dad to keep up with his competitors, don't you think?' she said with the same plain tone.
'Ah, yes… of course…'
'And you got together with Cho.'
Damn. Harry thought. No doubt the whole school knows. That will raise remarks behind my back.
'How does Hermione take it?' Luna then asked. Harry looked at her with surprise.

'I haven't actually spoken to her about it yet. Why do you ask?'
'Oh, sorry. That's something I better stay out of.' She said.
She is odd. Harry decided. 'What is there for her to say about it really? I got a girlfriend, and she got a boyfriend. We're in an equal situation…'
'Oh, she does? Who?'
'It's my other friend. Ron Weasley.'
Now it was Luna who raised an eyebrow. 'That I cannot understand…'
'Why not?' Harry asked her back.
'They don't fit together.'
Harry was strangely enough amused. 'Are you're that much of an expert of people?'
'Well, I have been looking closely at people around my whereabouts; it's a little hobby of mine. The fun thing is that all of my hunches around those I look more closely at always turn out correct. And I can tell that Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger do not fit together. Well, I suppose that they will sooner or later find that out for themselves.'

'You're studying Divination, aren't you?' Harry asked after a short while.
'Yes?'
'Figures.' Said Harry with a shrug.
'I happen to find the subject very interesting!' Luna said with a hint of indignity. 'Unlike others, I think that there is a bit of truth in horoscopes and fortune-cards, I'm planning to examine it further to have my own page in the Quibbler with people asking me of the future and for help to solve mysteries!'
Harry knew he had touched a nerve. He tried to explain it… 'Sorry… that didn't came out the way I'd intended… it's just that… I studied Divination, (in fact I finally quitted it) and to me it was a load of rubbish… and I can't help but to think that Professor Trelawney is a bit of a fraud…'
'NO, SHE'S NOT!' That had come from Harry's classmates Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil who were just passing by together with Parvati's twin-sister Padma on their way to find a compartment. With a scarlet face Harry waved at them, which the girls didn't return, they just walked away with angry looks.

'You've got a big mouth, Harry.' Said Luna as she tried to suppress a giggle from the girl's outburst.
'And bad luck.' Mumbled Harry. Nothing more was said between them after that. Luna started to read her copy of the Quibbler while Harry lent back to his seat and resumed his waiting. To his surprise he saw as he consulted his watch that he'd been napping for about one and a half hour, there was only twenty minutes left until departure. He glanced over to the magical barrier; Hermione and the Weasley's had just arrived. But Harry didn't bother to get up and go out to them, he knew that Ron and Hermione would go up to the prefect carriage first; they would maybe join him later.
Strange. Something shiny was reflecting light from Ginny's robes. Had they made her a prefect too? Harry wouldn't be surprised if that was the fact. It seemed like a tradition for Hogwarts to make everyone in the Weasley-family prefects, with the exception of Fred and George. He would most likely find out more about it later.

'Hi, Cho.' Luna then said vaguely before she returned to her magazine. Harry turned his head and found himself staring in the face of his girlfriend. He smiled broadly as he got up to hug her.
'Hello, Luna.' Cho said in a friendly manner before she returned Harry's smile. 'Hello, lover.' And then they embraced each other and kissed deeply.
'Oh please, you two. There are people present.' Luna addressed them resolutely.
Harry and Cho separated themselves from each other with embarrassment on their faces, but that quickly disappeared as they sat down.
'I missed you.' Cho said.
'Likewise.' Said Harry.
'Haven't your friends arrived yet?'
'Oh, they're here.' Harry explained. 'But they are suppose to be in the prefects carriage for at least the first hour of the trip, they'll come here later.'

'Then…' Cho hesitated. 'I'll stay here for an hour then, but after that, I'll go and find my own friends. Don't think bad of me Harry, but… your friends and I don't see eye to eye if you know what I mean?'
Harry understood. Cho was still angry with Hermione for jinxing with the parchment without telling them when they signed up for the DA-group, and Ron didn't respect her liking for the Tornados quidditch-team. But as long as Cho would respect Harry for spending time with his friends, then he would respect her wish.
Shortly after the train's departure, another of Harry's classmates joined them. Neville Longbottom came in, holding on to his pet-toad Trevor and was looking lost as usual. He was at first reluctant of taking a seat since Cho was there, (he expected that Harry wanted to be alone with her) but Harry assured him it was all right. He sat down beside Luna who didn't even look up from the paper.

'So, how are you Neville?' Harry asked. 'I mean, there's no problems with you after the 'adventure' we had before the end of the term?'
'I had trouble smelling things for a while,' Neville said nervously. '-but it's fine now.' Neville had come back from the Ministry of Magic with a broken nose and no wand. 'Hey, I got a new wand.' He then said brightly and held it up to Harry. 'My Gran wasn't happy with me for losing Dad's old wand, but she got me this new one for my birthday. It's mahogany with unicorn hair.'
'Looks quite nice Neville.' Said Harry. 'I wonder if this will improve your skills. Mr. Ollivander told me that since it's the wand who chooses the wizard, you can't get a good result with another.'
'Really? You think I might be able to perform some better spells from now on?' Neville looked quite hopeful of this.
'It's not impossible.' Said Harry reassuringly.

The first hour of the trip went without incidents. Soon the plump witch with the food trolley passed by their compartment and Harry as usual bought a big amount of sweets and cauldron cakes. He passed some around to Cho and Neville; he even tried to offer some to Luna. She looked surprised, clearly not used to being offered something from another.
'Oh, if it's okay with you, I'd really like a box of the Every Flavour Beans…' Luna said.
'Sure.' Said Harry and passed her a box. 'Just hope that you don't get to many of the disgusting ones, lately I came across quite many of sprouts and raw liver.'
'You can save them for me then, they're my favourites.' Luna answered casually. Harry thought again that she was odd.
'Well Harry, I'm off to find my friends.' Cho then said. 'See you later.' And she kissed him on the cheek. Harry waved her off, a bit sad of that she'd left.

'Well, you're one lucky guy Harry.' Neville said, smiling.
'Yeah. It's too bad that we're neither in the same year or in the same house.' Harry said.
'She does seem quite taken to you.' Luna cut in.
'I should certainly hope so.' Harry answered her, going a bit red.
'What about you then?' Luna turned to Neville. 'Someone you got your eyes on?'
Neville turned even redder than Harry.
'I take that as a yes.' Luna stated. 'Who is it?'
'Y-you're w-wrong!' Neville stuttered. 'I-I-I'm not interested in anybody!'
'Ah, I think you are.'
Neville turned to Harry for help, but he only smiled. 'Relax Neville; it's nothing to be ashamed of. Do I know this girl?' Neville nodded.
'Who is it? Maybe I can help you.'
Neville's face had turned pure scarlet. He hastily looked around in case somebody was listening and lent forward towards Harry.
'…in…' was all that came out.
'Who did you say, Neville?' Harry asked.
Neville swallowed and composed himself. 'Ginny.' He whispered.
'Holy cricket.' Harry whispered back.

'You've got to be kidding, Longbottom.' Said a drawling voice. Draco Malfoy, the Slytherin prefect stood in the doorway with his two big cronies Crabbe and Goyle behind him. 'Surely you've got better taste than wanting to get acquainted with the Weasel girl? She's more Potter's taste, isn't she?'
Neville's face turned as impossible as it might have seen, even more scarlet. Harry did too, but not of embarrassment, it was more of anger.
'That's none of your concern, Malfoy!' he growled.
Malfoy turned to Harry. 'Well Potter, I'm actually surprised to find you here. Shouldn't you be in hospital being treated by the cute little nurses?' Crabbe and Goyle laughed.
'Oh but Draco, don't you see?' Pansy Parkinson, the Slytherin girl prefect of the sixth years leaned in from the frame. 'He doesn't want to spend his time in St Mungo's hospital; he prefers the school's medical wing. His secret crush is none other than Madam Pomfrey, why else does he put himself in there so much?' The four Slytherins howled with laughter. Harry felt himself go furious.

'Very funny. Now why don't you leave?' said Luna more harshly than one was used to hear from her.
'Oh, did little Loony Luna get offended?' Pansy said in a mockingly sweet tone. 'Perhaps she want Saint Potter for herself?'
'That's it!' Harry yelled and got up from his seat. 'Get out of here, now!'
'Or what, Potter?' Malfoy countered. 'Perhaps you're going to tell the ghost of Sirius Black to come pulling my sheets every night?'
Harry's heart skipped a beat. His head was starting to feel heavy, and he became even angrier.
'An eye for an eye, Potter.' Malfoy went on. 'You lost me my father to Azkaban, it only serves you right to lose your godfather to the other side. And he actually got off easy. He should have got kissed by a Dementor, and been left drooling on the floor as a mindless puppet.'

Harry launched himself at Malfoy, but he never knew if he'd actually reached him. He was vaguely aware of a pain in his body that felt like as if he's been stabbed, and he was gulping for air that didn't want to go down to his lungs. Then everything went black, the last thing he remembered was the Slytherins, and especially Malfoy's, loud laughter…


********************************************************************************************************************


***

Harry's mind was drifting, floating in a void with no sense of goal, and therefore was totally lost. Time after time he came across a memory of something that was important to him, but he never remembered what it was. The only times he did remember something was when his mind reached a surface of the void, and he registered voices… worried voices…

'Can't you do anything?' said Hermione's tear-broken voice.
'I only know the basic emergency treatments.' Said the voice of the trolley witch. 'Nothing as serious as this!'
'He… he's not going to die, is he?' said Ron's voice.
'I don't know.' Said the trolley witch regretfully. 'The only thing we can do is to make sure no one touches him. Stay with him and lock the door. Let's not have any curious people barge in here and make things worse.'

Harry's mind drifted away again.

***

Harry's mind reached the surface of the void again…

'Oh, can't this train go any faster?' said Ginny's frustrated voice.
'That damn Malfoy!' said Ron. 'He did it deliberately! He knew Harry was sick! I still say that the trolley witch should apparate him over to Hogwarts!'
'RON!' yelled Hermione. 'I want to do it to, but the primary rule of a medical emergency is to not move the wounded. Apparating him or using a portkey could be lethal to him!'
'Can't this train go any faster?' muttered Ron.

…and drifted away.

***

Again his mind reached the surface…

'Oh, Harry.' Said Cho's voice. 'Come back to me, please…'
'You're not supposed to touch him.' Said Hermione's strained voice.
'He happens to be my boyfriend!' Cho said agitated.
'Well, if you want to keep your boyfriend, then don't mess with him until Madam Pomfrey can get here and say otherwise!' Hermione said in a likewise agitated tone.
'Do I detect a hint of jealousy from you? Don't forget who you belong to!'
'And just what is that suppose to mean?' Hermione said angrily.
'Isn't that obvious you-who's-suppose-to-know-all?' Cho said matching the other's tone.
'Look here Cho, Harry may be your boyfriend, but he's been my friend for by far longer than that! Naturally I care a lot for him!' Hermione was shouting.

Stop fighting. Thought Harry as he drifted along the surface.

'Yeah, caring more for him that you neglect to care for other peoples emotions!' Cho shouted back. 'Don't think that I forgotten what you did to my friend, Marietta!'
'She sold us out!'
'That doesn't justify that rotten trick with that parchment of yours!
'

Stop fighting! Harry's mind thought desperately as he willed himself to break through the surface of the void to stop them before they'd start tear down each other's throats…


********************************************************************************************************************


Ron looked back and forth between the two girls, being very uncomfortable with the scene. He'd never imagined Hermione get into a catfight before, and it wouldn't be proper to do that with Harry's girlfriend of all people. He glanced over at Luna, Neville and Ginny for some help, but they kept their distance, (which was hard inside a cramped compartment) looking quite uncomfortable with what was happening as well. He realized that he was on his own… Ron cleared his throat loudly for the enraged girls to hear…
'Hermione, Cho, perhaps you…'
'Stay out of this, Ron!' Hermione snapped at him. Ron retreated.

'We all agreed on to not spill anything of our plans for the DA group to Umbridge!' Hermione yelled at Cho.
'But we never agreed on signing a jinxed parchment! It was a horrible trick!' Cho yelled back.
'The Ministry were keeping tabs on us! It was to see who could be trusted and who could not be trusted. And your friend sure showed us were her loyalties stands…'
'Her mother works at the Ministry, she didn't have a choice…'
'Everyone has a choice! We're all human beings, not puppets…'
'Well, it is considered human to make a mistake…' Cho snapped.
'But it is not human to betray your friends, 'cause that was what she did! Haven't you considered the fact that it was your trust she betrayed? It was you who dragged her along into the group, although it didn't seem like she wanted to! And look what she did!'
Cho actually became speechless.
'The way I see it, you are partly responsible for your friend ratting on us!' Hermione pointed out.
'But I never dreamed she would… I couldn't know!' Cho said uncomfortably.

'Never… mind that now…' croaked a weak voice.
'HARRY!' everyone except for Luna cried out. The latter just watched him looking impressed.
'What's… done is… done. There's no… reason to… fight about it.' Harry coughed as he tried to get up from the floor.
'Harry, don't try to move.' Hermione said kneeling beside him.
'Try to stay calm, Harry.' Cho said, kneeling on Harry's other side.
'Ron… my balls… fetch… my balls…' Harry was breathing irregularly.
'Fetch… your balls? Ron said startled, hoping that Harry wasn't talking about what Ron thought he was talking about. The others looked just as bewildered.
'They're in my trunk.' Harry said weakly, not catching on Ron's confusion. Ron relaxed though as he opened Harry's trunk to look for what Harry asked for.
'The string-bag… -coff- on top of the books…'
Ron picked up the string-bag (fails to notice the two un-opened birth-day-presents) and felt that it indeed contained two balls of some kind. He took them out and handed them to Harry, who began grinding them in his hand. His breathing slowly became steadier.

'How long… -coff- was I out?'
'For almost five hours.' Hermione answered miserably. 'Oh Harry. You shouldn't have left the hospital.'
'Don't give me that, I was all right.' Harry replied bitterly. 'It was Malfoy, he gave me a relapse…'
'And that was exactly what he wanted you to have.' Ginny stated. 'Because he knew, like everyone else, that you haven't received full treatment for your ill.'
'Well at least… I wasn't out for three days like the first time…' Harry said in defence as Cho and Hermione helped him up on his seat.
'That is beside the point!' Ginny argued and Hermione nodded in agreement. 'Your sickness is serious! One more collapse and there might be nothing else to do but to bury you next time.'
Harry didn't show it, but he was amazed how much Ginny had changed over the years. She was no longer the shy little girl he'd first got to know, now she'd grown into a self dependant and a very determined young woman.
'Guess I'm in a no-win situation.' Harry muttered gloomily.

Harry looked around at each occupant of the compartment who was looking at him anxiously. He noticed that Neville were a bit bruised.
'What've you done?' Harry asked Neville. The latter looked like he didn't know what to say, so Luna spoke for him.
'He attacked the Slytherins after they made you faint.' She said plainly in a matter-of-fact tone.
'Good thing we got here just when he did so we could stop it.' Ron explained. 'Otherwise they would've beaten him to pulp. I mean: one against four, and two of them being Crabbe and Goyle? I still can't decide if it was bravery or sheer stupidity Neville.'
'Maybe I over-reacted.' Neville quietly said. 'But I just can't stand them any more, treating Harry like that after all he'd done…'
'I'm grateful for your support Neville.' Harry said. 'But I don't want you to get into any trouble or get beaten just because of me.'
'But it's nice to know that we've got such a reliable person on our side.' Ginny said assuring and patted Neville on his shoulder. Neville blushed.

'I see that Hogwarts made you a prefect as well.' Harry said to Ginny, now noticing the shining prefect badge.
'Yeah. You should have seen Mum when I told her. She was overjoyed.' Ginny said beaming. 'For that my parents fashioned me with these new robes.'
'If only that had been all…' Ron said looking disgruntled.
'What do you mean?' Harry asked.
'Bill and Charlie.' Ron answered gloomily. 'When they found out, adding the fact that she's joined the quidditch team, they got together and bought her a new broom! A Nimbus 2001, which is better than my Cleansweep.'
'Ouch!' said Cho. 'Another dangerous player against us. I still only got my old Comet.'
'It does have its advantages being the only sister in such a big family.' Ginny said brightly.


********************************************************************************************************************


Harry wasn't really happy when he stepped of the train at Hogsmeade. Not surprisingly, everybody who'd been aboard knew about Harry's second collapse, and they were all staring at him, as if expecting that he would drop again at any time. Thankfully a distraction of an old friend brought him away from the depressing thoughts.
'Firs'-years over 'ere! All firs'-years, this way!' Hagrid's voice boomed over the chatter at the platform. Harry made his way over to him, and he saw that Hagrid still had a painted face of black and blues. Obviously, Harry's half-giant friend was still keeping his half-brother Grawp, who was a full giant, hidden in the dark forest.
'Harry! Are ya all righ'?' Hagrid asked worried when he spotted Harry.
'Hi Hagrid. Don't worry, I'm fine.'
'Are you really, Potter?' asked a gruff voice. Harry was surprised when he spotted Argus Filch, the caretaker standing on the side of the platform. 'As far I was told, you're suppose to be unconscious.'

'I… I was.' Harry said, being totally in the dark on how Filch would know this. 'But I got better…'
'Never the less…' Filch continued in his deeply remorse-less voice. 'I am under orders to fetch you with a stretcher, to drag you straight up to the medical wing, either your sleeping or not. Personally, I think I got better things to do instead of wasting my time with minor trivialities such as this.' And then Filch un-ceremoniously grabbed Harry by his collar and dragged him of away from the direction Harry had preferred to take.
'Don't bother with the stretcher, gentlemen. He's awake.' Filch had addressed two people Harry hardly knew. He only recognised one of them as the professor in Muggle-studies, who's name Harry didn't know. The other was a total stranger. He was big and bulky with muscles; Harry couldn't imagine what his occupation in Hogwarts was. Thankfully the two of them were gentler with him than Filch was. They brought him to a carriage that was differently designed than the usual ones. It was longer, to accommodate people that was laying on stretchers. And it wasn't standing on wheels: it was hovering two feet above the ground, for a smoother travel. It was dragged by one of the Thestrals, a black skinny horse-like creature with dragonish face with pupil-less gleaming eyes and giant bat-like wings folded to the back. Harry wished, not for the first time, that he still would be unable to see it, because Thestrals could only be seen by people who seen someone die.

After a quick ride to Hogwarts castle, the two men who assisted Filch immediately escorted Harry to the hospital wing, were Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall waited for him.
'So he's on his feet.' Madam Pomfrey stated. 'Then maybe his collapse wasn't that hard this time.'
'Madam Pomfrey, Professor McGonagall, I feel fine…' Harry started but was interrupted.
'Let Poppy be the judge of that, Mr Potter.' said Professor McGonagall sternly.
Harry had no choice but to cooperate as the matron took his pulse, feeling his forehead and even checked his pupils.
'How long were you out? Madam Pomfrey then asked.
'Hermione said something about five hours…' Harry answered.
'I'm surprised you even woke up at all. I take it that you're not aware of your pulse is still irregular? Trouble breathing perhaps?'
'Do you really have to make such a fuss about all this?' Harry said feeling a bit tense.

'Really Mr Potter.' Professor McGonagall said reproachfully. 'You should be thankful that Miss Granger sent Mr. Weasley's owl ahead with a message of your collapse. Think about what could've happened to you if we were not prepared to take care of you upon the train's arrival had you not awoken by yourself! Every minute we can save in an emergency could be a matter of life and death! And do remember that while you attend this school, we in the staff are responsible for your welfare! Therefore you had better get used to this 'fussing' as you call it, unless you rather want us to send you back home! Is that what you want Mr. Potter?'
'No professor, I do not want to go back home.' Harry said defeated.
'Good. Then we will hear no more objections from you!' McGonagall said with finality. 'Now Poppy, what do you make of his condition?'
'I want to keep him here tonight for observation.' Pomfrey said. Harry was about to object again but a stern glare from Professor McGonagall made him keep silenced.
'And I want you to come to me at least three times a week for control and medication to help keep your blood-pressure down!' the matron said with a tone that left no room for argument.

'Can I at least go to the feast? I'm starving.' Harry asked dejectedly.
'Yes, you can. But I want you back here afterwards, is that clear?'
'Yes, maám.' Said Harry and started to the door, but first he reached into his pocket and pulled out a paper. 'I suppose you want this? It's the medical test-results from my muggle doctor.'
'Yes, I want it.' Said Madam Pomfrey and took the paper. 'Now go and have yourself something to eat.'
Both Harry and Professor McGonagall went down to the Great Hall. Harry had once again fished out his worry-balls which he grinded while he walked. When the two of them got there, the sorting ceremony was over, and tiny professor Flitwick was taking away the sorting-hat and the three-legged stool out of the hall.

All eyes were on Harry as he walked in, and his mode matched the weather outside the enchanted ceiling: cold, dark and cloudy. Harry tried, but to not much avail, to ignore the looks as he made his way to the spot of the Gryffindor table where his two best friends had saved him a spot. As he sat down, he did the mistake of letting his foul mode get out over Hermione.
'Sending an owl ahead?' He asked her sourly. 'Was that really necessary?'
Hermione looked shocked, but then she became angry as well.
'Well, excuse me for wanting you to live!'
Harry felt the guilt overwhelm him and he tried to apologize, but Hermione wouldn't listen to him, she wouldn't even look at him. Ron and Ginny gave him a reproaching look though.
'Damn.' Thought Harry to himself.

Then Professor Dumbledore stood up.
'First years, I bid you welcome. All the returning years, I bid you welcome back. Everyone, I bid you: Bon Appetite.' And then all the empty goblets and plates were magically filled with all kinds of food. Ron didn't waste a second, he began eating at once. Harry was hungry, but the food tasted like paper since his mind was so preoccupied with his guilt of what he said to Hermione. She still wouldn't look at him. Instead he looked towards the staff table; all the usual teachers sat there, including Snape, to Harry's disappointment. But there wasn't any new face around anywhere.
'Haven't they found a new Defence against the Dark Arts teacher this year?' he asked Ron.
'Beats me.' Ron said with a mouthful. 'Perhaps they finally learned that the job isn't safe, so nobody wants it?'
'No one except Snape.' Harry said nervously. Ron spat out his food.
'Y-you don't think… he's going to teach us that?'
'I sure hope not.' Harry answered without assuring.

After a long while the plates emptied and the feast was over. Harry wished he could've enjoyed it a little more. And then Dumbledore stood up again.
'Now as we've all enjoyed this magnificent feast, I like to give you all my usual start-of-term notices. The dark forest is out of bounds to every student, and our caretaker Mr. Filch wants to remind you that no magic should be practiced in the corridors. And now for the more serious matters; I suppose that everyone here is aware of the return of Voldemort?'
(There was a collective shiver running through the Great Hall.)
'I ask every one of you to try not to think about this threat. Our Ministry of Magic is working overtime for our protection and they have a good lead on his actions. As it is; the minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge has asked for all the help he can get to bring down the dark lord, which is why I sadly will not be with you this year.'
Every student looked surprised at each other.
'I will leave early in the morning to participate in the tracking of lord Voldemort, but I assure you that I will leave you in good hands. In my absence, the deputy headmistress Professor McGonagall will run this school. If there are any problems, you can go to either her, or to Professor Severus Snape who will be acting as deputy headmaster during this time.'
Every student except the Slytherins looked horror-stricken of this.

'Rest assured, that I will…'
Here Dumbledore was interrupted by somebody knocking on the doors of the Great Hall. Bewildered, Argus Filch went to open. Silhouetted against the dark cloud-bitten sky stood a man, which calmly walked in with a straight body language. The man's clothes were muggle-like, they looked like they belonged back in the 19:th century. Instead of a wizard's cloak, he wore a large dark cape with a furred collar; the image was completed with a high tube-hat.
He stopped before the staff table and spoke:
'Professor Dumbledore. My apologies for being late, the roads can sometimes be rough.' The man's voice was deep but somewhat quiet, and in strangely monotone: an emotionless flat tone. 'Allow me to introduce myself. I am Vladislav…'
'Uncle Vlad?' another voice interrupted and a figure sprang from one of the tables and joined the stranger on the floor. It was Draco Malfoy.
'Draco, my boy.' Said the stranger with a barely noticeable cheerfulness. 'I haven't seen you since you were five. You've grown into a handsome young man.'

Almost every student from the three other houses looked horror-stricken again. Ron voiced his opinion to Harry.
'Malfoy's uncle? Please don't tell me that he will teach here!'
Draco's uncle Vlad addressed Dumbledore again: 'As I was saying: my name is Vladislav Malfoy.' Here he took off his high tube-hat and turned to the students. 'Your new Defence against the Dark Arts teacher.'
Ron groaned. Harry could see that this man was definitely a Malfoy. The facial features reassembled a likeness to both Draco and his father Lucius. His white hair was of the same style as his nephew's, only thicker, but his eyes were scary. They were of the same steel-grey colour, but they looked completely lifeless. Harry looked over at Professor Snape, expecting him to be angry, but Harry was surprised to see that Snape actually looked more bewildered, although he couldn't understand why. Draco Malfoy on the other hand had a very triumphant look in his face.

'I understand that you probably feel a little bothered by the short notice professor Dumbledore.' Vlad Malfoy said to the headmaster in his monotonous voice. 'But I only recently came to this country when I heard that the post was free, so having an interesting meeting with your minister of magic, I decided to stick around for a while if you understand what I mean.'
'So the Ministry of Magic still wants to keep Hogwarts under their control!' Hermione whispered.
'We do feel a little taken by surprise, I'll confess that.' Dumbledore said without the usual twinkling in his eyes. 'Never the less, allow me to welcome you to Hogwarts. Do you have any luggage you'd like some help with?'
'That will not be necessary. My personal assistant is seeing to those. Do hurry up, Viktor.' He called back towards the main doors. Another figure was slouching into the castle, who seemed to be duck-footed and round-shouldered. Some trunks and a big chest were levitating behind him. Harry wasn't the only one who was surprised when they recognised the figure. It was…

'Viktor Krum?' Ron gasped. He turned to Hermione with an accusing look. 'What's he doing here? You never said anything about this!'
'Cut me some slack Ron, I didn't know! I haven't received a word from him since I sent him that letter last Christmas. I had no idea that he'd taken job as professor Malfoy's assistant.'
Harry could understand why Ron was uncomfortable with having Viktor Krum back. To Ron: he was a competitor of Hermione's heart. But since Hermione had already agreed to be Ron's girlfriend, Harry didn't think that Ron had anything to worry about. All the other girls of Hogwarts were excited of course of having the famous Bulgarian quidditch star back in Hogwarts.


********************************************************************************************************************


Harry felt that he had enough surprises of one day. It was time to go to bed, so Harry made his way back to the hospital wing, bidding Ron and Hermione goodnight, which Hermione didn't return. Harry caught sight of Ginny and the other new Gryffindor prefect: Lucas Pamir, (who Harry knew nothing about) leading the first-years to the Gryffindor tower.
Harry was just passing by a sideway corridor when he heard voices. Being too curious for his own good, he stopped to listen.

'Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall wont listen to me. I was hoping that since you will be acting as deputy headmaster, you would see reason.' Said the voice of the Centaur Firenze, one of Hogwarts two Divination teachers.
'We have been through this discussion many times, Firenze.' Said professor Snape. 'And since you can't provide us with concrete details of what this 'threat' of yours is, there is no reason to close this school.'
'Severus, I've seen it in the stars! The students are in grave danger! You must send them home!'
'This school has been under constant threat for a long time, and we've always come through. Since there is nothing in your stars that tells of what kind of a threat it is, I have no reason to believe that it is of any difference than usual!' Snape replied coldly.
'Severus, you're making a mistake…'
'This discussion is terminated, Firenze. And you had better to keep this to yourself; otherwise professor McGonagall and I may be forced to sack you. And were would you go then?'

Harry knew what Snape meant. Firenze had been banished by his own kind, it would mean death to him if he tried to go back.
'You'll regret this.' Firenze sighed in defeat, and Harry could tell by the sound of hooves that the two teachers were walking away from each other. Harry resumed his own pace in case one of them was to come his way.
Harry had trouble sleeping that night. His head was full of what Firenze had said to Snape, and he was pondering on how he would get Hermione to speak with him again.


Author's notes;
I've based Vladislav Malfoy from the actor Cristopher Walken. If any of you have seen the movies "Batman Returns" where he did Max Shreck, or James Bond's "A View To A Kill" where he did Max Zorin, then you have a pretty good idea on how this character looks like and behaves.
Actually, before the shooting of "Chamber of Secrets' started, I had hopes that Walken would do Lucius Malfoy. But since he didn't, I used him here instead.

The fourth chapter will take even longer until it's up. I'm going on a late holiday soon. But don't worry, I'll do my best to keep this story running.