Unofficial Portkey Archive

Jedi Mages by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Jedi Mages

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own nobody of the characters, they are the property of JK Rowling

A/N: Thanks to all of you for reviewing! And special thanks to my wonderful beta Petunia!

KypDurron: The training will last all the year…for the other question, read this chapter.

Shawnpickett: Thank you, however Dumbledore has not made a mistake.

Chapter Five

"Training goes on"

After a long rest, Harry returned to the Great Hall. He was eager to restart the training. After all, even if he didn't really trust Dumbledore, he was enjoying the hard work. He felt fine with the training.

"I see you are ready to continue, Harry," Dumbledore said, smiling. He stood up, and joined Harry in the centre of the Hall.

"Let's try to modify another spell, then we will move on to other aspects of your mage powers. Try to cast a Disarming Charm and then modify it to an Invisibility one."

Harry concentrated.

"Expelliarmus!" he cried. Dumbledore's wand started to fly toward him across the room. He tried to change the spell into an Invisibility one, but the wand continued to fly towards him.

After at least an hour of attempts, Harry was able to change from the Disarming Charm to the Invisibility one and vice versa without many problems.

"Good, Harry. Now, let's go on to something different. Leave your wand on the table. I'll cast a tickling spell on you. Try to deflect it. If you are able, try to send it in a precise direction."

Harry nodded, determination clear in his eyes.

"Rictosempra!" the Headmaster cried, and Harry saw the spell moving toward him. He waved his hand before the light, concentrating on sending it back to the Headmaster.

Moments later, a light sound was heard. Harry had deflected the spell, and sent it back to Dumbledore, missing him by inches. The light had hit the wall.

"Very good, Harry! I'm amazed. I knew you were good at this, from what happened this summer, but seeing it in person…well, it's stunning!"; the Headmaster felt very proud of Harry. If only he could regain his trust totally…

Harry was pleased by the old wizard's comment, and from that moment worked even harder. They repeated the exercise many times, and Harry never missed his target.

They began training on spells that were more difficult to deflect.

"Harry, I'm going to Disarm you. Try to deflect the spell without using the wand. Expelliarmus!"

Harry concentrated hard, and managed to push away the spell. He wasn't able to direct it back very well, though. However, he knew that with a little practice, he surely would improve.

"Let's have a little break. We can have some tea, if you want."

"Yes, Professor, thanks." Harry replied. He felt he was doing well and was amazed by the powers he was trying to develop. He was happy.

"I won't fail in protecting you, Mione. I can't let you be hurt." he thought, while sipping his tea.

Suddenly, Dumbledore brought him out of his daydream.

"Harry, I have one thing to say to you. There are different types of mages. Some of them are good at modifying the spells, and so learning this is not difficult for them. Others are excellent at wandless magic, deflecting spells and directing them perfectly to their targets. Then, there are mages who are skilled at modifying the strength of a spell.

You haven't tried the last thing, yet. However, from what I can see, you are one of the second type. Normally, only one of these abilities is especially developed, even if a mage can always do all of them. A mage who is strong in two or all three of these abilities is very rare. They are the most powerful mages."

Harry listened to the Headmaster attentively, then he stood up.

"Professor, I want to try to modify the strength of a spell. Can we continue the training, now?"

Dumbledore smiled, then he stood up, too, replying: "Of course, Harry. Let's start."

********************************

That afternoon, at Grimmauld Place, there was an hard work going on. After her rest, Hermione went down to the living room, where she found Professor McGonagall waiting for her.

"Well, Hermione. I have seen you are very good at transforming the spells. Now let's try to do a little bit of wandless magic - deflecting spells."

"Wandless? But I can't do wandless magic!"

"Of course you can, you are a mage, after all. Now, I'll cast the Freezing Spell on you. Try to deflect it."

Hermione nodded as McGonagall cried: "Petrificus Totalis!"

The light was flying toward her. She moved her hand, but she was still hit by the charm. She tried over and over again, and finally, after an hour and a half she managed to deflect it properly, directing it on her target.

"I wonder how Harry's doing. This is very hard…" she thought

Then, McGonagall trained her on other spells, such as the ropes conjuring one. After an intense afternoon of training without rest, she was finally able to direct much more difficult spells on the chosen target.

While having dinner, Hermione and McGonagall chatted about the mage powers.

"You see, Hermione, every mage is different. You can practice your skills as long as you want on the three main powers of a mage, but you cannot modify your nature. You will always be more naturally inclined toward one of the powers. It depends on your trainer to notice which one you have more, and for you, I can say it is the spell structure modifying."

Hermione nodded, thinking about what her Professor had just said.

"I wonder which power Harry is strongest in…" she thought. But she was exhausted, and soon fell asleep on the couch.

*************************************

At Hogwarts, Harry fell asleep as soon as his head touched the pillow and dreamed of Hermione.

The dream was the same of the other time. Now, he was able to modify and deflect the Cruciatus Curse from her but he still could do nothing about the "Avada Kedavra".

Next morning, Harry started to work on modifying the spells' strength. Dumbledore cast a very strong Tickling Charm on him. Harry managed at the second attempt to reduce it to a light "Rictosempra". Then, he was attacked with a heating charm which made him feel completely dry. He was starting to feel sick, when managed finally to vanish the spell's effects.

This training took all the day. In the late afternoon, Dumbledore turned to Harry with a serious look on his face.

"Harry…you know the real reason we are doing this is to defeat Voldemort. So, now I must try to harm you with unforgivable curses. You must practice modifying them."

He paused and raised his wand.

"Crucio!"

Harry concentrated hard, but he couldn't reduce the pain. He struggled as Dumbledore cast the curse on him again and again Eventually, he was able to reduce the curse to a tickling charm. He tried to stop a Stunning Spell, and succeeded in doing this at the third attempt.

At dinner, Dumbledore seemed very impressed by Harry's powers.

********************************

That day, Hermione went through the same training, but McGonagall avoided using the unforgivable curses. Hermione was skilled in modifying the spells' strength, but she had been training for only a short while and the Professor didn't want to risk it.

The training continued for Harry and Hermione for two weeks. The evening before the term began, Hermione and Professor McGonagall took a Portkey to reach Hogwarts.

When Harry saw her opening the door of the castle, he had to fight a sudden urge to kiss her. This was ridiculous - she was his childhood friend!