Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Last Kefsen by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Last Kefsen

jardyn39

The Last Kefsen by Jardyn39

Chapter 10: Diagon Alley

Harry alone stood in the middle of the Room of Requirement.

"I'm really sorry," he said to his five friends as they slowly began to pick themselves off the floor, "but I wanted you to be in no doubt about the improvements we all need to make."

Harry had invited all five of them to attack him any way they could, all at the same time.

The exchange had lasted only a few seconds, and Harry hadn't fired first. He hadn't even needed to produce a shield.

Harry had expected everyone to be a little rusty, after all like him, they hadn't performed any defensive magic for a few weeks. Even so, he was very disappointed.

Harry easily dodged Ron's stunner and was saved the need to disarm Hermione when she was hit with Luna's wayward impediment jinx, mainly because Luna herself had been hit by Ron's second stunner.

Of the five of them, only Ginny and Neville gave him any challenge at all.

"Neville, your tactic was sound," Harry continued as Neville pulled Ginny to her feet again. "What let you down was your aim. We'll work on that, but firing three different jinxes in quick succession was very good, especially so since you co-ordinated very well with Ginny."

Neville smiled and nodded.

"Ginny, I know you are good at that Bat-Bogey hex but you can't rely on it every time. It might have worked as a distraction, but I knew exactly what you were going to do."

Ginny nodded glumly.

Harry walked over and extended a hand to Hermione. She was still sitting on the floor looking furious.

"I'll have to wait for next time to see what you were planning," he said with a smile as he pulled Hermione up. "Just remember to watch out for friendly fire too."

Hermione nodded.

Harry knelt and touched the ropes tightly binding Luna's legs with the tip of his wand. They loosened and then vanished.

"Luna, I only bound your legs. I know you couldn't move but you should have carried on fighting from the floor. I had my back to you for ages."

"I know," she said, rubbing her legs. "I thought I could free myself first. Anyway, I didn't feel it was right to attack your back."

Harry smiled at her. "You'll know next time," he said gently.

Harry stood and turned to Ron. He was still rather red in the face and looking down at his feet.

"You don't have to say it, Harry. I know."

Harry smiled. He'd let his best friend off. This time, anyway.

"Let's start by practising the move that Ginny and Neville almost got right. Notice that Neville was firing not just straight at me but in the place he thought I would dodge into when Ginny fired. I had to count on Neville's aim being a bit off or I'd have been in trouble."

*

The Headmaster sent Harry a note suggesting weekly Occlumency lessons and these would be held on Saturday afternoons provided there were no Quidditch matches. Their first meeting was to be held on the second weekend as Harry would need the first Saturday to go to Diagon Alley with Lupin.

Harry was glad of an opportunity to spend some time with Lupin, who'd been surprised when Harry refused his offer to extend the invitation to his friends.

"Where do you want to go to first?" asked Lupin as they left The Leaky Cauldron. "Quality Quidditch Supplies looks as quiet as it's going to get. It might be easier getting around there without all the books you need."

"Um, no thanks," said Harry, checking his money bag was secure. "Let's start with Flourish & Blotts. There's a particular book I'd like to get for Hermione and we might as well get all my subject books as well."

They passed Mr Florean Fortescue again and for the third time that morning politely refused to sample his excellent ice-creams. The first time they had been hurrying to get some money from Gringotts and the second time they were on their way back to The Leaky Cauldron for a superb late breakfast. Unfortunately, Tom the Innkeeper hadn't been able to provide them with a private room. Harry would have liked to talk a few things through with Lupin.

Later, neither Harry nor Lupin felt they could refuse yet another invitation and they sat and chatted over a couple of Mr Fortescue's ice cream sundaes.

"Do you know where I could get something made up," asked Harry. "I was hoping to make one of Hermione's presents this year and I just haven't had the time."

Harry had no idea what he should call Lupin these days. "Remus" just sounded cheeky coming from him, "Professor" was clearly inaccurate and "Lupin" was just unfriendly. He decided to wait for Lupin to tell him which he preferred and in the meantime didn't call him by a name at all.

"What did you have in mind?" asked Lupin interestedly.

"I wanted to give her a portable writing desk. I thought if I could have it made here, I could engrave it myself."

"Well, I believe there's a specialist furniture shop that does custom joinery, although," Lupin trailed off.

"What?"

"It's just a suggestion, but is there no way you could make it yourself? I mean, Hermione is sure to appreciate it more that way."

Harry nodded. He had certainly appreciated the SPEW hat and gloves she had made for him.

"Hagrid is surprisingly good with wood, you know? I know his own furniture is rather rough and ready, but some of the things he's made are actually quite superb. He recently made a replacement ornate table for Dumbledore office. Apparently something happened to the old one," Lupin added with a small grin.

Harry was mortified for a moment.

"I caused even more trouble than I knew, didn't I," he said flatly.

"Harry, Dumbledore has a love for hand made furniture, that's all. Hagrid insisted upon making the replacement to match his original. He loves making things for people. Ask him to show you how to make something and he won't give you a moment's peace. You just see."

Harry smiled at Lupin and nodded.

"Pardon me for asking, Harry," said Lupin lowering his voice, "but I couldn't help noticing you withdrew quite a lot of gold this morning. Was there any particular reason?"

Harry smiled and nodded, withdrawing a scrap of printed newspaper from an inside pocket. He handed the advert to Lupin.

"You're going to get one for yourself as well, though, aren't you?" Lupin asked perceptively.

Harry frowned slightly and shook his head.

*

Harry entered the shop in Diagon Ally while Lupin insisted upon waiting outside to keep watch. The small shop was packed full of luggage, trunks and cases of every size and colour. He was the only customer.

As he approached the counter a small round man appeared wearing a wide smile.

"May I be of assistance, Sir?" he asked with a bow. "My name is Mr Serrure and I am the owner and proprietor of this modest establishment."

"I hope so," said Harry. "I've seen your advert in The Quibbler and I was hoping you might be able to provide me with what I need."

Mr Serrure did a familiar double take upon recognising him. "Mr Potter, welcome," he blustered before composing himself.

"What have you in mind, Sir?"

"I would like six of those multiple compartment trunks."

"How many compartments per trunk?"

"I'm not sure. What is the standard?"

"Well, two compartments are the minimum we can add up to five more per trunk. We will only add compartments to our own manufactured trunks and it will be slightly more expensive to add them later. All of our work comes with a lifetime guarantee, of course."

Harry nodded.

"We would be happy to customise any compartment for you, or would you like me to check what we have in stock?"

"Yes please, although one of the trunks I would like to be especially fitted out."

"Well, let me check the stock list and then I'll ask you to give me details of your requirements so we can work out a price."

It took a few minutes for Mr Serrure to go through his rather extensive stock list, but Harry was happy to find he had four trunks with three compartments and one with two.

"May I ask, Sir? Are these intended as gifts?"

"Yes," answered Harry. "All except the two compartment trunk which will be for me."

Lupin had eventually persuaded Harry that he would need some extra storage space to carry all his extra things.

A rather wishful smile played across Mr Serrure's face.

"I don't suppose one of the intended recipients is a Chudley Cannons fan?" he asked hopefully. "We made a customised trunk for a patron some time ago but it wasn't entirely to their satisfaction. Rather too orange, apparently. I'd give a generous discount."

Harry smiled and said, "I'll take it!"

Mr Serrure immediately brightened up considerably. "You will? We'll replace it free of charge when, I mean, if you change your mind."

"Thanks, but my friend is an avid fan."

"They'd need to be," quipped Mr Serrure. "Perhaps Sir would like to give me details of the customised trunk?"

"Great," said Harry fumbling for a piece of parchment in his pocket. "I'm not sure if all this is going to be possible, though," he said handing the sheet to Mr Serrure.

The shopkeeper studied the notes intently.

Mr Serrure looked up smiling. "We do like a challenge, but I think we can do this. The only thing is, we may have to compromise the flexibility of the fourth compartment. What I mean is, you might not have much of a choice over what we can fit in there."

"I'd prefer it if you would give priority to the third compartment."

"Excellent. Would you like me to work out a price?"

"Yes please, for everything. How long will it take you to make this?"

"Do you have a date in mind?"

"Ideally by 19th of September," he replied. "But, it wouldn't be too much of a problem if it was later."

"We'll do our best."

Mr Serrure scribbled some notes down and then rather hesitantly handed Harry his quotation.

"That'll be fine," said Harry immediately. "I'd like to pay in full now, if I may?"

*

Dumbledore had been surprised to discover that Harry had advanced well in his Occlumency since the summer. Harry explained that his time with Jen had calmed him a lot and his new found control of his emotions was a great help. Harry knew, however, that the main reason was not having Snape making him so angry.

Harry had thought Dumbledore would be pleased his Occlumency was going well, especially as his scar no longer hurt as much as it did.

In fact, his scar hardly hurt at all. All he now got was occasional twinges of pain in his side, not that he admitted this to Dumbledore.

However, Dumbledore appeared mildly concerned, although he said nothing.

*

Harry frowned slightly having finished reading Mr Serrure's letter. He had waited until he got to the privacy of his dorm room before opening it. He handed the letter to Jen who read it quickly.

"Wonderful!" she squealed quietly. "The trunks will be ready in time! What is it?"

"Mr Serrure says he's fitted out all the trunks, not just Hermione's."

"So?"

"Well, he's obviously just doing it because I bought them."

"Rubbish," said Jen dismissively, catching his eye. She was in her favourite Hermione form this morning. "You are just feeling guilty for buying something for yourself that is the tiniest amount more than the bare minimum you could make do with."

Harry shrugged and put the letter away. It was uncomfortable having someone telling him that. Not only was it perfectly true, listening to the words in Hermione's voice made him feel worse about it.

"How are you getting on with the other thing?" she asked, clearly trying to cheer him up.

"Almost finished," Harry said reaching under his bed and pulling out a heavy cloth wrapped timber box. He placed it on his bed and carefully unwrapped it.

"Oh, it's wonderful, Harry. I'm not sure about all those markings though. I could try and polish them off if you'd like!" Jen said with a laugh.

Harry laughed. She knew full well it had taken him hours to write them, having sat with him through the nights as he worked.