Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Last Kefsen by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Last Kefsen

jardyn39

The Last Kefsen by Jardyn39

Chapter 16: The Knight

"Harry, how is it you can tell Jen apart, even when she looks just like someone else?" asked Hermione as they came back from the library.

Harry had been on tenterhooks around Hermione ever since his little excursion into the fourth compartment of her trunk. Thankfully she had taken pity on him and made no further mention of it at all, unlike Jen who had been making loud "bubble" related remarks ever since. Harry decided to let her have her fun, especially as she clearly hadn't actually told anyone else what really happened.

Harry was more concerned about Hermione's reaction. He couldn't quite put his finger on it. He was sure Hermione was annoyed about something but was trying to overlook it. He had seen it in her eyes the next morning. Somehow, he felt sure it wasn't his presence there or even his wandering eyes. What had he missed?

"Well, you don't have trouble telling Fred and George apart, do you?" Harry replied, trying to keep up their conversation. "They look and sound identical but they still have their differences."

"Yes, but we've known Fred and George for a while now. Jen changes several times a day and I've seen you address her when I know you've never even spoken to the girl she's impersonating."

Harry nodded, thinking of how he might steer the subject away.

"Mind you, even I could tell her apart when Parvati and Lavender were having their make-up party."

Harry almost asked why that was before he thought better of it.

Hermione was quite right, of course. Harry couldn't tell Jen apart just by the way she acted, but he wasn't about to admit the truth just yet, even to Hermione.

"Ready for our duel?" asked Harry, pleased with himself that he'd rather deftly changed the subject.

Pleased, that was, until he saw Hermione's appraising look. He wondered how much she had worked out on her own.

*

Harry closed the door to the Room of Requirement and turned the key.

He turned and walked over to the middle of the room where Hermione was standing, staring at the unusual room contents.

"Sorry about all that," said Harry pointing at all the piles of bandage boxes, stretchers and other First Aid paraphernalia that surrounded them. "You can see what's been on my mind. I've no idea why I was thinking of that thing though."

Hermione smiled and said, "Actually, I think that might have been me. Still, at least we both managed to require enough floor matting."

Harry threw his bag next to Hermione's at the side and walked out to assume his start position, wand in hand.

Hermione was ready.

"Okay, ready?" he asked. Hermione nodded, raising her wand.

"On three then. One, Two, Three!"

"Expelliarmus!"

"Protego!"

"Protego! Stupefy! Accio!"

Harry hurried over to where Hermione was lying unconscious. He felt absolutely terrible. How could he be doing this to her?

Delicately waving strands of hair from her face, he composed himself again. He had to at least try and maintain this façade. He felt Hermione would never forgive him otherwise.

"Ennervate!" he said gently and she woke at once, looking momentarily confused.

Harry pulled her to her feet again and returned her wand.

"Again," he demanded, assuming the same tone he had with the others when he knew they could do better.

*

Harry and Hermione sat together for a while, on the large comfortable sofa that Hermione had apparently required, before making their way to their afternoon lessons.

"You are really improving, Hermione, although I do think that firing foam at me was a bit underhand."

Hermione grinned at him.

"Jen said you still had a bubble fixation."

"Look, I'm really sorry about that."

Hermione laughed and said, "Harry, it's okay. Is Jen still teasing you?"

"Only every time I see her. She still thinks I should have jumped in."

Hermione laughed harder. A very red Harry made to leave.

*

Harry was quietly determined to pay Flitwick back for his last attack. He knew Flitwick had been right, of course. It had been stupid to drop his wand.

As Harry stood, wand out, in the Great Hall waiting for the evening's lesson to start, he found himself looking up at the clear evening sky. He was distracted by a strange clattering echoing through the entrance hall.

A knight in an old and extremely battered suit of armour jogged into the great hall and came to a stop in front of Harry. It raised its visor. The suit of armour was empty but none-the-less armed with a long sword, shield, dagger and a mace.

Flitwick piped, "Good evening, Harry. I thought you might like to practise against a physical opponent tonight."

Before Harry could respond the suit of armour jumped into action, slamming its visor shut and drawing its sword. It lunged at Harry who, only just in time, dodged out of the way.

Regaining some of his composure, Harry rained a series of spells against the suit of armour as it crashed around the hall, swinging something lethal at him at every opportunity. Although various bits of armour flew off, it was still effective and kept attacking.

Finally a well aimed reductor curse blew the armour's sword arm clean off.

Harry stopped.

The knight didn't.

Throwing his shield at Harry, he grabbed his mace and threw several wild swings. Harry had to make several desperate dodges.

Harry managed to catch the knight with another reductor curse on its shoulder. The armour exploded and various assorted plates few about.

Harry was surprised to hear clapping and cheering. He turned to see they had an audience and they had burst into applause at that moment. It looked like the noise he and the knight made had attracted quite a few onlookers who must have gradually ventured into the hall through the great doors that Flitwick had again left open.

Harry gave an embarrassed smile and Flitwick, with a flamboyant swish of his wand, caused the suit of armour to reassemble itself. The knight then promptly did a low bow to the audience and walked over to the entrance of the hall. They cheered the knight even more than they had for Harry who too was laughing.

Professor Flitwick held up his hands for quiet and then said, "You may stay to watch if you wish but for safety's sake please come no further into the hall than where our good knight is standing. Okay?"

Everyone except Harry and Professor Flitwick moved safety behind the knight, who was now going up and down doing some rather strange and distracting walk, occasionally pretending to attack any student who dared to get too close to the invisible line he was guarding.

Without warning Flitwick turned and in one silent movement sent a red stunning curse towards Harry.

"Protego!" Harry shouted and the curse rebounded. He had been expecting Flitwick to attack without warning.

Before Harry had a chance to look up to check if the lantern was in place, Flitwick had sent curse after curse at Harry which he successfully avoided or blocked. For a full ten minutes Harry and Flitwick duelled circling each other around the hall. Neither gave any quarter.

They stopped only when the lantern high above glowed bright red for a moment and then went out. Flitwick lowered his wand and at the same time raised his other hand to Harry who nodded back at him. He didn't think he could have carried on anyway. He was tiring quickly.

Panting, Harry looked over to where the knight still paced. Their audience had not clapped and cheered this time. They each looked subdued and thoughtful. It took Harry a moment to realise why.

Professor Flitwick went over to them and indicated for Harry to join him. As they approached the knight sprang to one side and gave an exaggerated salute. The students gathered around looking grave.

"Professor, I've never seen duelling like that," said a Fourth year. "Is that how the Death Eaters fight?"

Flitwick spoke gently.

"Death Eaters are known for their cruelty. They will not duel or be fair in any way to an opponent. They will use any advantage to win and that includes using Dark Magic." He paused and then continued, "Harry here is learning to defend himself better. With the return of You-Know-Who and his supporters, we must expect more attacks and more atrocities. The more prepared we can be the better."

As Flitwick spoke, Harry looked around the students. None of these people were involved with the DA, and a good few of them were Slytherins.

Professor Flitwick nodded briefly to Harry and exited the hall, closely followed by the clanking Knight carrying the Duelling Lantern.

Harry then spoke.

"Last year some of us formed a group to practise Defence Against the Dark Arts. That is why Umbridge and Fudge banned all the school groups last year. Anyway, Professor Dumbledore gave me permission to do the same thing this year. If anyone wants to learn some defence I will teach them whatever I can. This offer is open to everyone. This is not a House thing. The single condition I will insist on is that all participants must swear they stand against the Dark Arts and Vol-, sorry, I mean, You-Know-Who."

Harry looked around the students. Some had a frightened look but most were nodding slightly with grim determination. Looking towards the back of the group he caught the eye of Hermione who was grinning at him with pride. He had no idea she was there and felt a slight blush cross his face as he smiled back.