Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Last Kefsen by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Last Kefsen

jardyn39

The Last Kefsen by Jardyn39

Chapter 8: Introductions

A little while later Harry opened the dormitory door and walked down the steps to the common room, pausing to allow the increasingly nervous arachnid to keep up.

Jen exited the dormitory door at the corner of the jamb and the head of the frame and walked along the curved walls, occasionally crossing the ceiling. She appeared to grow in size as she went. Harry supposed that as a magical creature, and a shape shifting one at that, she was not too concerned about the effects of gravity.

They exited the door into the common room and Harry walked down the steps and over to the middle of the common room.

Slowly and gracefully, Jen walked one entire perimeter high up over the curved common room walls and everyone in the common room followed her progress in mesmerised silence. It looked like the whole of Gryffindor had come back down to witness this spectacle.

Harry looked over towards Hermione and he gave her an assuring smile as their eyes met. Hermione, standing with her wand in hand, looked away warily from him towards Jen. Harry knew that Hermione was maintaining a calm reassuring stance for the benefit of the First Years. He wished some of the others would do the same.

Jen finally came to rest on a wall directly behind Harry, now fully ten feet toe to toe. She remained perfectly still and appeared to glow a beautiful golden brown in the lamplight.

As Harry spoke, most people continued to watch Jen.

"I would like to introduce Dyvarow Pensevyges Jentyl Blejen of the Dyagha-Toellwisk Tribe." Harry paused, rather pleased with himself that he had managed to pronounce her name correctly. He finally knew it by heart, Jen having made him practice many times.

"Call her Jen.

"She is a Kefsen, and she can adopt the shape many living forms. She is not an acromantula or any form of spider. Jen has been alone for many years and with only spiders for company she has become accustomed to this form.

"Jen is a Princess of her people, a magical creature and a very good friend. Jen is currently recovering from," he paused, "an illness. I think some rest and good company will help her recover. With your permission I would like her to remain as a guest here in Gryffindor Tower."

At this a wave of unease went through the common room. Jen lightly moved down from the wall and crossed the floor to gasps from some as others hurried to get out of her way. Without hesitation, Jen went straight over to Parvati Patel and held up a long hairy foreleg.

"It's okay Parvati, just let her touch your hand."

With some trepidation, Parvati bravely held out her hand and Jen touched it gently. Instantly Jen morphed into an identically dressed second twin and smiling widely said, "I love your hair!"

Clever thought Harry.

Jen smiled nervously looking around the room. "I'm a little weak at the moment, so I can only hold two forms for any length of time. One is the spider form you've just seen and, well, Harry asked me not to change into -"

"- Because she's a bit scary in that form," interrupted Harry, causing a few people to give short nervous laughs.

"Scarier than a giant spider? What …?"

Harry continued, "Jen has promised not to attack anyone …" Harry paused and looked meaningfully back at Jen and before continuing, "and that includes pets, house elves, teachers and any other living creature …"

Harry hesitated a moment, wondering whether those provisos were sufficient, "… while she is here. Be warned however. She is a deadly magical creature who also happens to be a hopeless romantic, likes fashion, loves revising history and listening to really, really bad jokes."

Jen blushed and smiled as she looked down at the floor.

"It's the deadly part you need to remember. Surprise her and she will react. Provoke her and she may attack out of instinct. Give her space and show her respect and you'll be fine," finished Harry. It would do no harm for everyone to believe that Jen could be a fearsome as she looked.

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat. "Well, I see no reason why the Headmaster would object to Jen staying providing she remains within Gryffindor Tower for the time being. I suggest you take a vote." And with that she made her exit through the portrait hole. As he watched her leave Harry wondered why she had just accepted his assurances that Jen was safe to have around. Had Dumbledore known?

"Er, show of hands?" Harry started to say weakly, suddenly less confident. Why would they want Jen to stay?

At the exact same time Parvati shouted out loud and clear, "Hands up all those who want Jen to stay!" and beaming at Jen she raised her hand. Almost everyone raised their hands to Harry's relief. Even Ron, whose colour had turned a little less green since Jen had changed form.

There was a short cheer and Parvati had to shout, "Welcome to Gryffindor!" to make herself heard. Several people moved forward to say hello now that her form was less intimidating.

"Would it be okay if I slept in the girl's dormitories?" asked Jen, "Harry's friends didn't seem too keen on sharing!"

"Of course you can!" said Lavender as they ushered her up the stairs.

Harry just caught Jen saying, "It's just that I can look a bit of a sight in the mornings," as the door closed and he smiled to himself.

Harry turned and faced Ron and Hermione.

Ron hadn't quite regained his composure and his gaze was fixed on the closed door that lead up to the girl's dormitories.

Hermione asked, "Harry, are you okay? We heard you were in some sort of coma but they wouldn't let us visit. What happened?"

"I'm fine. Thanks for the get-well cards. I'm still a bit weak and I had a bit of a relapse when I arrived but I'm fine, really," said Harry seeing Hermione's concerned expression.

"Where did you meet her?"

"Sirius'," replied Harry in an undertone. Ron gulped audibly and Harry could see Ron imagining how they could have encountered Jen while they were cleaning Grimmauld Place last year.

"Did she have anything to do with your condition?"

"Well yes, sort of," answered Harry. "Look, I really need to explain this properly but it's late and I think Ron needs to turn in"

"Oh, okay," said Hermione looking at Ron. "It might be best. Is there much damage upstairs?"

*

The next morning began eventfully for Jen. Harry, hearing a commotion down in the common room, had rushed down the stairs from their dormitory. Harry found a tearful Lavender Brown being consoled by a concerned, identically dressed Lavender Brown. Harry guessed immediately what had happened. Lavender had woken to find Jen in her favoured spider form and had run out in hysterics.

Several people had come down to see what the noise was about and Harry was pleased to see that many were visibly impressed by the kindness and understanding Jen showed to Lavender.

For the next few days Jen could usually be found in her arachnid form, high up level with the cornice in the common room from which she would survey the students coming and going. Still rather nervous in the presence of others, Jen would always come down to greet Harry as he passed through the common room and Harry would make sure that he was last to leave their dormitory in the morning so Jen could join him for a chat.

Gradually, girls would wait for Jen so she could come down, assume a human form, and wish Harry good morning properly. It was not long before Jen was conversing a little with more and more students.

Harry told Ron and Hermione almost everything about his encounter with Jen but he had not said anything about the time during their coma and nothing about the form Jen had taken.

Harry thought Hermione realised that Harry was holding something back that was bothering him, but unusually she did not push him on this.

*

During the lunch break, Harry arranged to meet with Ron, Hermione, Neville, Ginny and Luna. When they had all arrived, Harry suggested they walk outside to ensure some privacy.

As they walked down the main steps outside, Neville approached Harry.

"Harry, thanks for the letter you sent Gran. She sent me an owl this morning."

"I just wanted her to know what happened, Neville. Sorry if it was a bit late coming" said Harry.

"Actually, she wasn't that bad. Even when she found out I'd broken Dad's old wand."

When they reached the bottom of the steps and finding they were away from earshot, the group formed a loose circle.

"It's the Department of Mysteries that I wanted to speak to you about. When I went back to the Dursleys', I tried to write. I couldn't just then, what with Sirius and everything."

Harry drew a deep breath as the others nodded gently in understanding.

"Anyway, when I woke up I wrote to Dumbledore and Neville's Gran. I was going to write to all your parents but I wasn't sure how much you wanted to tell them. I wrote to your Gran, Neville, because I didn't think you'd tell her everything."

"Well, I didn't have the chance not to tell her," Neville said with small smile, "I think someone must have told her because she already knew everything!"

"That was me, Neville," said Ginny with a warm smile.

"And me," added Hermione, "I thought she should know."

"I was going to," said Ron laughing, "but I was afraid Hermione's hex would kick in!"

"So," asked Harry, "can I write to your parents?"

"No way!" said Ron emphatically. "Look Harry, Dad knows everything and Mum went spare when she found out the little she knows. It'd just upset her again."

Ginny nodded in agreement.

"Well, if you're sure. Luna, can I write to your Dad?"

"Well, Dad's got this conspiracy theory about the whole thing. I tried to tell him what really happened but he's quite convinced," said Luna in her usual dreamy voice. "If you want to write though, you might want to make sure you say it's not for publication," she added as an afterthought.

"Thanks, Luna. I will. Hermione?"

Hermione said nothing.

"I did wonder how they might react if they knew how much danger I put you in."

"I'm not sure, Harry. I didn't really tell them anything. I'd like to think about it, if that's okay?"

"Of course it's okay," said Harry warmly. "Tell you what, I'll write the letters and you can each read them before Hedwig takes them. I won't send anything you haven't approved. How would that be?"

Hermione nodded but Luna was staring off into space at that moment.

"Good. Now, are we going to carry on with the DA? I think we, us six I mean, need to get a lot better at Defence Against the Dark Arts."