Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Last Kefsen by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Last Kefsen

jardyn39

The Last Kefsen by Jardyn39

Chapter 7: A Gryffindor Guest

Harry woke to find himself lying on his back on the common room floor with Madam Pomfrey fussing over him. Over her shoulder, Harry could see Professor McGonagall looking at him with a concerned look on her face. He looked over and saw Lupin coming back down from the boys' dormitories. Lupin must have taken his trunk upstairs.

Harry lifted himself up and brushed his hair back with his hand. He found his face wet with cold sweat.

"What happened, Potter?"

"I don't know. As soon as I entered the flue I felt …" Harry struggled to find the words. "I don't know, really, like something was being torn away from me."

Harry looked up. "The pain's gone. I'm feeling much better now!" he said quickly before Madam Pomfrey could utter Hospital Wing as he knew she was about to. It was true though; Harry was recovering quickly.

At that moment the Portrait hole opened and Gryffindor students flooded in.

The feast must be over, thought Harry as Lupin guided him to a seat. Harry sat with his hand over his eyes trying to compose himself and block out the chattering noise that was now filling the common room. Harry realised he must have been unconscious for some time.

Gradually the common room became quieter as people moved through, probably thinking of nothing but their beds just as Harry usually did after the welcoming feast.

You need to get a grip if you're not going to be put in the Hospital Wing tonight he thought.

"Well, you appear to be okay now," said Lupin. "I should think you'd get a better night's rest here than in the Hospital Wing."

Harry opened his eyes as a smiling Lupin continued, "Have a good term, Harry. Write if you need anything." Lupin squeezed Harry's shoulder and spoke to Professor McGonagall, "I'll have time to speak to the Headmaster but then I'll need to be off." Professor McGonagall nodded to him as he turned and left. Madam Pomfrey, looking daggers at Lupin, looked as though she would like to give the Headmaster a few well chosen words as well, and followed.

Harry closed is eyes again and a moment later vaguely registered shouts coming from the boys dormitories.

"What on earth?" said McGonagall and Harry could hear her hurry up the stairs.

"Who is making this racket?" everyone could hear clearly down in the common room. Everyone was listening now and Harry was very glad that she was not shouting at him.

For a moment there was a pause followed by more shouts and this time bangs and blasts.

Harry drew his head up suddenly opening his eyes. He recognised the shouts that time. It sounded like Ron, Dean and Seamus. The shouting was coming from their dormitory.

Harry jumped up and ran up the stairs, passing Hermione who was reassuring a huddle of frightened looking First years. Harry pushed open the heavy dormitory door and rushed in.

*

Professor McGonagall, Ron, Dean, Seamus and Neville were all standing wands held out and firing Reducto and stunner curses around the far side of the room. Three of the beds were in splinters and bedding was smouldering. Feathers filled the air like a snowstorm.

Through the chaos Harry saw the reason for the commotion. Dodging the spells with extraordinary agility was Jen, running around the floor, up the walls and across the ceiling. She looked smaller than usual and in her arachnid form. She was clearly terrified.

"Stop! STOP!" yelled Harry and then as they continued to reign spells over the room he shouted, "Expelliarmus!"

All four wands flew out of their hands and Harry caught them.

"Potter! What do you think you are doing?!" shouted Professor McGonagall who had retained her wand.

As Jen reared up, now an enormous size, Harry stepped forward and stood in front of McGonagall. The other four, having lost their wands, had hurriedly moved towards the door.

"That is enough!" spoke Harry loudly and clearly. "Just calm down."

Harry turned to the others as Jen cowered back down on the floor.

"I'm sorry," said Harry calmly. "She's from Sirius' house. I think she must have stowed away in my trunk."

Harry noticed Ron's look of horror and said, "It's okay. Really. Look, if you'll give me a moment to have a word with her in private, I'll ask her down to the common room and introduce you properly."

McGonagall, seeing Harry unconcerned for his own safety, appeared to regain her composure. "Very well, if you're sure. We'll wait downstairs for you." Taking the wands Harry handed out to her, she then turned and swept everyone else out of the room before closing the door.

Harry turned to face Jen who was now cowering on the floor. Harry knelt down beside her and asked gently, "Are you okay?"

Hermione's form suddenly appeared. She was trembling with fear. Tears welled in her eyes and cascaded down her face as she said, "I'm sorry. I wasn't going to come but as soon as you went through the flue I felt a terrible pain. It was tearing me apart. I'm sure it was the distance between us or something. Anyway I made room in your trunk and jumped in before Remus came. Please don't be mad at me."

She looked up hopefully into Harry's eyes. Harry smiled and wiped the tears from her face.

"I'm not mad at you, just a little surprised. I felt it too. If you're going to stay, we'll need to agree a couple of things first."

"What like?" Jen asked rather too innocently.

"I want you to promise," and Harry counted points off on his fingers. "One, that you won't disclose to anyone any of my memories or my knowledge. You know how important that is."

"Of course I wouldn't! Okay, I promise."

"Two. That you won't disclose any of my thoughts or feelings to anyone, not even to try and help me."

"Well, okay."

"Three. That you will not take Hermione's appearance. You know -"

"No! I can't promise that. This is the only form I can take on my own and be able to speak. How about I only take this form when we're alone? Oh, come on! You know how much …"

"Well, alright," Harry conceded as he looked at her anguished expression. "Four."

"Is this a long list?" she asked and Harry knew she was feeling better.

"Four. You will not attack anyone. Anyone or any living thing. Promise?"

"Well, I promise not to hurt anyone unless I'm provoked. So is that it? I thought you'd want to know what I dumped out of your trunk to make room! Come on, I want to be introduced!"

Jen's distraction worked as she intended and Harry, wondering just what she had dumped, did not speak aloud the other restrictions he had considered.

"My card? You didn't leave Hermione's card did you?"

"As if I'd dare!" she replied with a grin. "No, just some old broom," she lied.