Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Last Kefsen by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Last Kefsen

jardyn39

The Last Kefsen by Jardyn39

Chapter 13: The Duelling Lantern

After regular classes one evening, Jen was waiting for Harry as he entered through the portrait hole, looking very anxious. She had taken the form of a Fourth year girl Harry did not know.

"What's the matter?" asked Harry, looking across the room to see her twin chatting happily to two of her friends next to the fire.

"It's Alice, I think she's having problems with some homework and she's afraid to ask"

Hermione, who had just come through behind Harry, said briskly, "Thanks Jen, I'll see how she's doing. Why don't you come and help?"

"But I don't know the first thing about arithmancy, I won't know any of the answers!"

"Well," said Harry with a smile, "Hermione doesn't generally give the answers."

"That's right! Harry wouldn't learn anything if we just told him the answers. It's more beneficial to encourage and give guidance. Come on, let's go find Alice now."

"See you later," said Harry as Hermione strode off with Jen following in her wake.

Harry had the feeling he would see many more Gryffindor girls with an identical twin doing homework together from then on.

*

Shortly before eight o'clock in the evening, Harry entered the Great Hall for his next lesson with Professor Flitwick. He closed the doors behind him.

The four house tables had been stacked to one side leaving a large area in the middle and he found himself alone standing in the middle of the hall looking upwards at the dark evening sky.

Hearing the large centre doors being opened, Harry turned to see Professor Flitwick enter carrying a large ornate lantern. He left the doors open.

"Ah, Harry. Good," squeaked the tiny Professor and he carefully placed the lantern on the top of one of the upturned house tables. Taking out his wand, he tapped the lantern and it lit instantly. Initially the lantern burned bright white but then settled to a dull blue.

"What is that, Professor?" asked Harry as he walked towards him.

"This is a device that will enable us to use the full force of a duelling curse without actually causing harm. While we are bathed in its light the full effect of most magic is reduced. Its main function is to soak up any excess energy, but it has some other benefits too. Stand back a little and I will demonstrate."

"Er, okay," said Harry with a little trepidation and he took a few paces away.

Flitwick pointed his wand directly at Harry and shouted, "Stupefy!"

Harry felt the spell hit him squarely on the chest and he was knocked forcefully onto his back. Yet something strange had happened. Flitwick had not held back that time. He was sure he should have been knocked unconscious. The other unaccountable thing was he hadn't felt the impact of falling on his back. He had arched back through the air and was now lying on his back. Somehow his fall had been cushioned.

Harry got up to see Professor Flitwick levitating the lantern high over their heads.

"Professor, is there any limitation to what that lantern can do?"

"Yes. It is important to remember that it has little or no effect on the more Darker and Unforgivable curses. It also prevents apparition and flying. Shields are unaffected as are physical weapons. Levitating, summoning and the like can be difficult or impossible depending on its mood."

"It has moods?" asked Harry.

"Yes. The lantern was modified by a previous owner to vary the effect - so duellers can't use the dampening effect as a strategic advantage. It watches the duels. Unfortunately it is rather old and now seems to get bored after a while. It sometimes even extinguishes itself. Shall we begin?"

*

Two hours later, Harry found himself on his knees in the middle of the hall. He was exhausted and ringing with sweat, unlike Flitwick.

"Once again, and then we'll call it a night. Okay, Harry?"

Harry nodded and dragged himself to his feet. They raised their wands.

"Three, two, one. Go!"

Harry shouted his curse but in the same instant Flitwick appeared to be distracted by something behind him. Flitwick had lowered his wand slightly at the last moment.

To his horror, Harry's spell hit Flitwick square on the chest and he fell heavily.

Harry looked behind him. Nothing. He ran over to Flitwick who was not moving. The lantern had gone out. Dropping his wand, he reached down and gently turned the tiny Professor over.

BANG!

Harry found himself thrown violently backwards. He lay on his back writhing in agony. Well, he felt like writhing anyway. Actually, he could not move. How could Flitwick have done that? Flitwick stood over him looking down. He had been feigning.

"I'm sorry, Harry, but you have to learn. The pain will subside in a few minutes," he said coldly, extending his wand arm and pointing up to the lantern. The lantern gently returned to the ground.

Picking up the lantern, Flitwick waited until Harry started to move again. In the time it took for Harry to recover, his anger had subsided a little.

"If you were fighting You-Know-Who, would you have dropped your wand and gone to give assistance in the middle of a duel? Of course not. You will do better next time."

*

The next day, Neville nervously held his wand up, assuming his preferred duelling position.

"Try to relax, Neville," advised Harry, still standing with his wand arm relaxed at his side.

This didn't appear to help.

Harry was, he had to admit, not in the best of moods. Just having Snape for Potions a few minutes before did that to him. His words to Neville had been short and cold. Like he just wanted to get this over with and do something more worthwhile, leaving Neville to recover slowly.

Neville deserved better, Harry knew.

"I'm sorry, Neville. You count down, okay?"

Neville nodded nervously.

"Are there any spells you don't want me to use?" asked Harry assuming his position.

"No," spat Neville angrily.

Harry was about to say, "Sorry," when Neville shouted out.

"On three. One, two, three!"

Neville had shouted the words very quickly and had moved the instant he'd said, "Three!"

Neville blasted a cloud of thick smoke at Harry from the tip of his wand. Harry whirled around, pleased that Neville was getting so much better.

Harry dived to the floor. A stunner made the hair on the back of his head tingle. That was close.

Harry rolled away silently. The whole room was filled with smoke now.

Harry pointed his wand, throwing a thumping sound a few feet away. Instantly three red stunners blasted where the noise came from. Harry knew where Neville was now.

He stealthily got up. He could just make out a shadow.

Harry rushed forward, and was about to shout, "Stupify!" when he tripped and fell.

Harry was helpless as he heard Neville shout his stinging hex.

Harry was blasted onto his back. He looked up through dazed, watering eyes to see Neville approach him, having vanished the smoke.

Neville looked absolutely terrified.

"N. Neville," Harry stuttered through his agony. "That was great! Really good tripping jinx too."

Neville face broke into a smile and he heaved Harry to his feet, although he then wished he'd stayed on the floor until the pain eased a bit.