Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Last Kefsen by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Last Kefsen

jardyn39

The Last Kefsen by Jardyn39

Chapter 9: Happy Birthday

Harry had to wait a few days before seeing Dumbledore, who had not been present in the Great Hall for meals since the Welcoming Feast, which Harry had missed.

He hadn't liked to go to the Headmaster's office uninvited. The last time he'd been in there the floor had been strewn with the things he'd thrown and broken.

Harry went down to breakfast early on Thursday in the hope of seeing Dumbledore. He had done the same thing every morning that week. Today however, he was in luck. Dumbledore was just leaving the Hall doors when Harry arrived at the entrance lobby.

"Excuse me, Professor. May I have a word?" Harry asked quietly.

"Of course, Harry," said Dumbledore smiling. "It's such a nice day, will you join he for a short walk outside?"

"Okay, thanks," replied Harry and they strolled outside into the bright morning sunshine. Now that he had the chance to talk to the Headmaster, Harry found himself wondering where to begin. Dumbledore, however, spoke first.

"I'm glad to see you're up and about again. How's your guest?"

Harry smiled and said, "Jen's fine. She's still very nervous and shy, though. It may take a while for her to settle in. I'm sure she would like to meet you."

"I'd like to thank you for your letter, Harry. That was very thoughtful."

"I am sorry for the way I behaved. I, … I should never have said …" Harry began but stopped when Dumbledore raised his hand and gently shook his head.

"There are a couple of things I'd like to ask that I couldn't put in the letter."

"Go on."

"Would it be okay if we carried on with the DA? I don't know if any the other Houses are still interested but most of the Gryffindors want to carry on. Last year Hermione insisted we include anyone who asked and I think it would be good to continue on that basis."

"Of course you may. The more people are prepared for what is to come, the better. I am also going to ask some of the staff to offer additional defensive classes," Dumbledore said looking over towards the lake.

"Hermione keeps saying we should include the Slytherins. I'm sure not every Slytherin is going to join Voldemort. I just don't like the idea of training Voldemort supporters and letting them know first hand our strengths and weaknesses," admitted Harry.

"Hermione is correct, in my view," said Dumbledore. "The more inclusive you can be, the better. This may be an ideal opportunity to show there is another way other than the Dark Side. Still, it may be prudent to hold separate more advanced lessons for more trusted individuals."

"Yes. I was going to make the six of us that went to the Department of Mysteries do additional training anyway."

"Make?" asked Dumbledore.

"They all made real improvements in the DA last year but they have to get a lot better and quickly. We need to get better. So yes, I am going to make them learn. They've agreed already actually, but they don't really know what they've agreed to yet."

Dumbledore smiled and nodded.

"And speaking of trusted individuals. I am thinking about telling them about the prophecy."

Harry waited for Dumbledore to respond but he said nothing.

"They are targets now. I think they have a right …" Harry began.

"It's not a question of right. It's a question of trust," Dumbledore interrupted darkly.

Harry sighed. "Yes. I'm ashamed to say I've been thinking whether or not I can trust them. I'll only tell them if they are prepared to accept the consequences."

"And you've been hoping some of them will decline to hear it?"

Harry looked down at his feet and nodded.

"I would recommend that you talk to them individually first. Tell each of them that you do not intend to tell any of them everything. That way you can be selective about what you tell even if they decide to hear the prophecy. If you have a slightest doubt about an individual do not tell them anything. Not yet at least."

"I'm sure that none of them would disclose anything on purpose, but I do have doubts," said Harry and he looked up at Dumbledore. "I don't know if I'm going to tell Ron or Neville anything at this stage. If Ron finds out later that I withheld this he's going to take it badly and there will be consequences. It will be worse, though, if I actually lie to him."

"Very well. Is there anything else?"

"Well," Harry hesitated. "I'd like you to teach me Occlumency. Properly this time. I also want to learn Legilimency if I can. Most of all, I want to learn to fight and defend myself properly. Those Death Eaters -"

Dumbledore cut across him. "I will not teach you dark magic, Harry. I cannot stop you from researching these things by yourself, but please give me your word you will not teach anyone else such things. Dark magic is not easy to give up. Those that practice it soon forget their human values."

"I promise," replied Harry earnestly, who had expected Dumbledore to refuse outright. At least he hadn't made Harry promise not to research on his own.

"I will, however, continue your Occlumency lessons. Legilimency may be a little beyond you at present but you may try. I will also make arrangements to have you taught you some additional defence on an individual basis."

Dumbledore pulled out his large gold pocket watch and studied it before saying, "I did suggest to Professor McGonagall that, since you won't have external examinations this year, you might benefit from a more relaxed timetable."

Harry raised is eyebrows.

"Unfortunately, she disagreed," Dumbledore continued with a wry smile. "Please don't cut lessons unless absolutely unavoidable. I will ask Madam Pince to make the Restricted Section available to you and Hermione so long as she also promises not to pass on any dark magic she learns to anyone else. You will have full access without the usual upper year restrictions. Ah, you appear to be late for Potions. Good-day to you, Harry."

For a moment Harry considered heading straight for the Library but then he thought of Professor McGonagall's disapproval if he cut lessons. Instead he grabbed his bag and went down to Snape's potion class in the dungeons, sure he would have detention for being late.

*

At eleven o'clock that evening, Harry finally climbed through the portrait hole. He had finished his detention with Snape some time ago but had decided to walk off some of his excess anger. He was annoyed with himself as much as Snape. Although he had been determined not to allow Snape to make him so angry this year, Harry had found himself reacting angrily at yet another insult to his father. That outburst had earned him another detention too.

Oh, well, he thought, maybe I can keep control of myself at the next detention.

Stepping into the common room, Harry was greeted with a cheer. Ron bounded up to him and shouted above the noise, "At last! Happy Birthday, Harry! Why did that git had to give you detention the same night we planned this?"

Smiling, Harry looked around the room. He was immediately impressed that such a relatively small group had made so much noise. All of the Sixth Year Gryffindors, plus Ginny. Jen was present too, this time looking like Lavender.

Ron dragged him over to a table and pushed a bottle of butterbeer into his hand. On the table was a small pile of envelopes, a few small wrapped presents and a large empty plate that looked like it had cake crumbs on it.

They had a good laugh as Harry opened his birthday cards and presents, starting at Ron's insistence, with his own.

Finally, much earlier than they would have liked, Harry thanked them again as he bid them goodnight.

In the quiet of the common room, Harry gathered his cards and presents. Harry paused to look at Luna's card and as he did so became aware that Hermione had not yet gone up.

Luna's card was most unusual. It was small postcard that had a strange moving pattern on one side. It looked like it should have a 'right side up' but he had no idea which it might be. She had written her message on the back and had managed to get the writing to tumble around as the card was rotated.

Hermione picked up the scrap wrapping paper, screwed it up, and threw it into the fire.

Harry smiled at her when she turned back to him. "Thanks," he said simply.

"Ron wanted to throw you a big party. I thought you would prefer something smaller."

"Definitely," Harry said quietly.

"Well goodnight, Harry."

"Goodnight," he whispered watching Hermione climb the stairs and disappear into the girl's dormitories. He thought her face was a little red, but perhaps he had been mistaken.

Harry had begun to feel an awkwardness around Hermione that he was unaccustomed to. He had convinced himself that, having spent so much time in Jen's company and with her looking, sounding and acting just like Hermione, this shouldn't happen. The thing was, he realised, this was the real Hermione, not just a memory of her.

He had almost asked her to sit and talk for a while. Almost.

Annoyed with himself, he gave a sigh that preceded a great yawn as he too climbed the stairs to bed. He didn't see Jen emerge silently from the shadows.