Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Last Kefsen by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Last Kefsen

jardyn39

The Last Kefsen by Jardyn39

Chapter 20: Hermione's Admonishment

Truth be told, Harry had been rather pleased with his first draft letter to Hermione's parents, even though it had taken him ages to write during the odd snatched period he had free.

He had known that there had been no chance of her letting him send it, even as he began to write the first few paragraphs.

Knowing this, Harry had decided to try and write down some of his feelings during the events that happened. Very soon, it became a letter to Hermione, saying all those things he never managed to say before. It was a very long letter and he worked hard at it over many hours late into the evenings.

Jen had been very sceptical about what Harry was hoping to achieve with the letter. She kept on with her gentle pleadings for him to just talk to Hermione. If he was honest, Harry didn't really know himself.

However, as Harry wrote, something rather profound dawned upon him. He had always appreciated Hermione but had never felt it necessary to say this to her. After all, she knew, didn't she? Harry had realised, albeit rather late in his view, that he had been wrong. He should have told her just how much he valued her.

As Hermione read that first letter when they alone in the common room late at night, he gradually saw her face redden. After the first few paragraphs she had got up and sat close to him and he could almost feel her emotions as she continued to read.

He had written about Sirius too, and some of the hurt and guilt he had felt, but Harry's main emphasis had been Hermione herself.

Hermione read the letter in silence from start to finish, and as she finished she blinked back her tears.

"It's all true you know," Harry said gently.

She shook her head, wiping her face.

"I take it you want me to re-write the letter," he said smiling. Hermione laughed shakily and nodded.

She offered the letter back to him but he refused saying, "No, I wrote it for you."

*

Harry and Hermione were in the library at a table in the Restricted Section. He was grinning at her and she was avoiding his eye.

They had been having a good-natured and whispered argument, again, about the latest draft of Harry's letter to her parents.

"Tell me which bits are untrue or exaggerated and I'll take them out," Harry whispered at last.

Harry had rejected Hermione's comments on his second draft. Actually, she had re-written that one herself. Harry had objected to this version completely as she made it sound like she wasn't even at the Department of Mysteries!

It was now clear that Hermione would never allow Harry's letter to be sent in a form he would find remotely acceptable. Harry decided then he would have to play dirty, and enlist Ron's help.

Although he had abandoned any thought of actually sending any letter, Harry had continued to redraft. He found he enjoyed having the excuse to talk over and relive their past adventures from this new perspective. He particularly liked taking the opportunity to tell Hermione to her face how he admired her actions, but he now felt she wouldn't allow him to do this much more.

He reached over gently, took the scroll from her hands and tore it in two.

"No more drafts then," he said in a whisper and Hermione shook her head slightly. "You know? I didn't write all these just to embarrass you. I just wanted you to know how special you are. I know I haven't said it to you often enough."

*

Dear Mr & Mrs Granger,

Harry wanted to write to you to give you an explanation of what happened at the end of last year. He was daft enough to promise Hermione that he wouldn't send the letter until she was happy with the contents. Needless to say, Harry abandoned this after the umpteenth draft, so I am writing instead.

I am given to understand that Hermione has kept the first draft of Harry's letter, the one Harry intended you to receive, in her trunk.

I just wanted to forewarn you in case you happen to come across it while cleaning!

Merry Christmas!

Kind regards,

Ron Weasley

PS Hermione, if you're reading this, Harry made me write this!

PPS Harry says Hi and is sure that Hermione will understand when she has calmed down a bit!

*

This year most people were spending the Christmas holidays with their families, keen to spend as much time together as possible now that Death Eater activity was increasing. Although Harry would have liked to spend time with Hermione, he was glad her parents insisted that she spend Christmas at home with them.

Harry had stayed at Hogwarts keeping Jen company, and with a little encouragement she had begun to explore the castle.

Just after Boxing Day, Pansy had arrived back earlier than expected and had insisted upon inviting Jen for tea in the Slytherin common room. News got around quickly, even considering the few students staying, and soon she was invited to the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff common rooms too. Harry was sure this had to be some kind of a record and although he was glad she was making new friends, he was concerned that all this activity was taking so much out of her. Jen would tire easily, especially after transforming into each of her hosts in turn.

Finally, Jen, Pansy and Harry quietly welcomed in the New Year together in the Gryffindor common room.

Thanks to Ron's letter, Harry had spent most of his Christmas holiday in a state of high anxiety.

The days crawled by for Harry, until finally the end of the holiday arrived and everyone returned to the school.

*

Harry and Ron were sat playing chess in the common room. Harry realised he had completely lost the plot of the game and looked up to see Ron still smirking at him.

"Shut up and move."

"I didn't say anything and it's still your move," Ron replied laughing.

It had been Ron's idea to wait up in the common room rather than greet Hermione when she returned after spending the Christmas holidays with her parents. Harry had taken Ron's point that if she was mad at him it would be less embarrassing here than in front of the whole school.

"Oh, well …" Harry started to say but then jerked around as he heard the portrait hole open again.

It was only Lavender.

Yet another false alarm.

He was getting more nervous with each one.

He turned back, still annoyed at Ron, who had insisted on their current seating arrangements, making him the one having to turn around to see who had entered.

"Hello, Hermione! Good break?" said Ron brightly.

Harry had fallen for that trick three times already and wasn't about to do it again.

"Hello!" said Hermione, from behind Harry's shoulder. He jumped in total surprise, lost his balance and promptly fell off his chair.

Harry was about to get up when he caught Hermione's eye. She wore an unreadable expression and he decided it might be safer to remain on the floor for a bit.

Hermione calmly reached down, pulled his chair upright and sat. Harry looked down at the carpet.

Say something, he thought, anything.

Dimly, Harry became aware that Ron and Hermione were talking, exchanging pleasantries. When the talking had stopped, Harry looked up. Ron had gone over to the other side of the room and Hermione was looking down at him.

Harry said the thing that was foremost in his mind, "I'm sorry, Hermione."

She paused before answering. Harry's entire attention was focussed on Hermione at that moment.

"You should know, Harry, that I was very annoyed with you."

"Was?" he said, with a small grin.

She looked away.

He was sure the corners of her mouth had just twitched.

"Get off the floor, Harry."

His grin grew wider with this admonishment, but he decided to stay on the floor a while longer.

"Did they see the letter?" he asked quietly.

"Yes, I showed my parents the letter," she answered in a whisper. "It helped, really. We talked about a lot of things. I think they were glad to hear the truth and I was glad to … well, talk things through."

She turned back to him.

"Thank you for your present, Harry. It's really beautiful," she said drawing her hand over her heart.

He had given her a necklace and pendant. Harry had found it after a long and desperate search of the shops in Hogsmeade and Hedwig had delivered it to her on Christmas morning.

"Hedwig's flying back on her own," Hermione continued. "I'm afraid we spoiled her a bit while she stayed, but she was very good company. Dad even made a perch for her in my bedroom when it was clear she didn't want to leave."

Harry thought back. The last thing he'd said to her on Christmas morning was, "Just make sure she's safe."

*

Harry was dragging a reluctant Ron back to Gryffindor tower so they could dump their bags and go off down to dinner.

Ron was in a bad mood.

"Why did you stop me? That scum had no right to say those things. I'd have thought that you'd …"

"You know why, Ron. How do you think Jen or Hermione would react if they found out a Prefect had hexed someone just because they said a few stupid insults. Look, when you've calmed down you can give them a detention and dock some house points. You'll feel better then."

"Well, that'd do until an opportunity with fewer witnesses comes along, eh?"

Harry sighed. "Are they worth it, really? They've being saying stuff like that for ages and so far Jen hasn't found out."

Ron had stopped again and was about to respond when Ginny ran up to them.

Harry felt a dull burning pain down one side that gave him an ominous feeling.

"Jen. Hurt. Come quick!" gasped Ginny.

Harry did not wait for explanations and immediately took off at a run for the Gryffindor common room.