Unofficial Portkey Archive

Orange nail varnish by Rid
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Orange nail varnish

Rid

A/n: Thanks to my beta reader bslehofer and everyone who reviews. *falls suddenly down*

A little boy with flaming red hair runs in. Hi, I'm Eric; the writer seems to have finally succumbed to the temptation of sleep. She had told me she hasn't been sleeping well, what with studies and all.

Well I hope all you people like this story. It's about my uncle Ron and Aunt Luna. Pst…. Don't tell anyone, but I get a sickle every time I make an entry and say something cute in this story, good money! Oh uh- got to go. I think rids is waking up. See you next chapter.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Luna rushed out of the cloak room, her heart beating in a frenzy. Whatever had possessed her to speak to Ginny like that? Anyone would think that she was getting defensive of the relationship she shared with Ron. Luna wasn't defensive, since there was nothing to hide. Right?

As she entered the room again, she found all the Weasley children gathered around a table. "Merlin, Luna where were you, Ron was worried sick," said Molly, motioning her to gather around the table.

Curious, Luna moved ahead towards the table, "Where is Ron?" she asked, but nobody seemed to notice.

"I'm right behind you".

Luna turned around to find Ron standing behind her, a solemn expression on his face. "Gosh, you scared me," said Luna, her hand trying to still her racing heart. How come she had forgotten how attractive Ron was? Her school day crush was all about Ron and the golden trio accepting her, the way she was. It was about his jokes, his uncanny ability to get into regular trouble and his warm and unending dedication of his friends. The Ron standing in front of her now, was that and a lot more. Age and maturity had added a thrill to the aura and Luna found herself for the very first time admitting reluctantly, that she was indeed in love with the man with whom she had just spent the best couple of days of her life.

Are you nuts Luna? Are you in love with Ron? How can you be in love with him after specifically taking measures to ensure that you didn't fall in love with someone who you know can never reciprocate? How can you be in love with someone with such large a family, full of so many warm people? Where do you fit?

Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, Luna smiled weakly at Ron. Turning towards the rest of the family, she asked him softly, "What are they doing?"

"We're going to open the presents," he replied, taking her hand and moving towards the table.

Luna looked at their entwined fingers and felt the blood rush to her face. Stupid, crazy in love Luna! Blushing at little contact. She scolded herself for such thoughts, and put the gesture down as normal.

As they reached the table, Draco made place for Luna to stand and Ron stood behind her. Looking around she realized that everyone stood like that. All the female's stood in front and the male's behind them. She also realized that they all stood like couples, their body warmly bent towards the other. Ginny joined in and Draco placed his arms around her.

Feeling oddly bereft, she turned to find Ron looking at her oddly. She smiled at him and he smiled back. Turning back round, she saw Arthur place his palms over Molly's eyes.

"Now dear, when I count three, each of the presents will open themselves one by one, starting from the gift brought by the eldest in the house. I want you to control yourself, as I see you've got two extra presents this year," said Arthur, his eyes moving towards Luna and Draco. "And- one, two three…."

The first present rose in the air and bubbled open and a handy book of cooking spells jumped out of the box.

"Oh Charlie, another exotic cook book, you know how to make your mother cry," said Molly, wiping a stray tear which had fallen from her eye. "Thank-you dear".

Next to her Fred snorted, "She'll be bawling like a baby by the time your gift comes," he said turning to Luna. "You're the youngest here".

Luna nodded and then turned to see that Molly had already reached Fred's gift.

"Another pair of those fur coats. You boys, you'll spoil me silly," said Molly, wrapping the coat securely around her neck. "I always knew you boys were gifted," she said beaming proudly.

Luna laughed with the rest of the Weasley's as a miniature monkey popped out of the box after the fur coat. Luna and Ron turned to find Draco hiding his head behind Ginny's hair.

Suddenly Ron stopped laughing, and Luna felt him stiffen with seriousness. She realized that his gift was next. She reached behind and caught hold of his hand, squeezing it reassuringly.

As his gift rose in the air and opened itself, a strange song started playing in the background. Luna couldn't understand what it was, until the box dropped to the table, and a beautiful wooden carved treasure chest stood in the middle, still playing the hypnotic tune. It opened and Luna saw that contained within it was a glass bowl at the, within which rested a couple. Luna looked hard and realized that the couple's faces were of Molly and Arthur. They were both laughing and seemed much younger.

Suddenly finding herself overwhelmed by the emotion on the faces of the happy couple in the bowl, Luna swayed slightly. Ron held out his arms and steadied her.

"You alright?" he asked.

Luna nodded and continued to look at the faces of Molly and Arthur.

"Oh Ronald, was this why you wanted our wedding album? But this is so exquisite," said Molly, as the tune played in the background. "I love it. Thank you so much for this".

"It's your birthday ma," he replied.

The next few minutes passed in a blur, as Draco and Ginny's presents were opened. She felt Ron nudge her when her own present was about to burst open. As it rose in the air, Luna felt a little awkward. What if Molly didn't like what she'd got for her? Luna found out soon enough, as Molly smiled at finding her yearlong supply of the Quibbler. "Oh dear but this is perfect. Ever since Harry's interview in your fifth year, I've always wanted a subscription, but Arthur here said we could wait for that. This is amazing. Thank-you," said Molly.

"You're welcome. Happy Birthday," she said.

"Happy Birthday," everyone echoed.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"But you have to dance," insisted Molly, as Luna heard Ron mutter something for the second time.

Turning to Molly, Luna shook her head. "Believe me, you don't want to see me dance," she said. "I'm horrible at it," added Luna hastily.

"Well so is Ginny," added Draco, as they passed by.

"Not everyone got dancing lessons at the age of seven," muttered Ginny, as they danced away.

Grinning at her happy daughter, Molly turned to them again. "Ronald, she simply cannot stand here. Ask her to dance, nobody just stands at a Weasley party," said Molly, turning and moving towards Arthur who was beckoning her on the other side.

Sighing loudly, Luna turned to Ron. "I won't eat you up, you know," he said, shrugging.

"I know. Well let's go," she said and moved towards the magically transformed Dance floor.

Reaching the middle of it, Luna felt herself being pulled. The next moment she was in Ron's arms. Slowly and steadily, the rhythm of the song picked speed, and they spun round and round.

As the song came to an end, Luna felt her legs wobble. She would have fallen, had it not been for Ron's arms holding her up. "Steady. Don't want you to break your ankle, do we?" he asked.

Shaking her head, Luna prayed for a slower song to start playing. Her wish was granted, and a slow Weird Sister's song filled the air with its notes. She felt Ron draw her closer. She took a sniff of his cologne, and felt herself go slightly week in the knees. This was wrong, very wrong.

"Your gift was very sweet," he said, slowly waltzing with her.

"Not compared to yours. That was the best gift ever," she said, recalling her own teary eyes.

"Thanks, took me long to figure it out," he said. "But then Ginny helped me out".

"It was very sweet gift," said Luna.

Ron nodded. They continued to dance the rest of the evening, and retired for the night as the clock struck twelve.

Luna turned in her bed before her eyes could close, and felt content. The feeling was oddly alien to her, and she couldn't quite tell why she was feeling that way. Putting it down to tiredness, she closed her eyes and let the dreams takeover.

@@@@@@@@

A/n: Thanks for reading, now you go review, by the time I'll go look for Eric, Merlin knows where he ran off to.


-->