Unofficial Portkey Archive

Orange nail varnish by Rid
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Orange nail varnish

Rid

$$$$$$$$$$$

As the two ladies emerged from the restroom, each of them had their hair in place and smile fixed. As Harry and Ron waited by the bar, Hermione and Luna made their way towards it.

"So all set for Dinner?" asked Harry, stepping forward and taking Hermione's hand. Hermione gave him a small smile, before nodding her head excitedly. Ron looked at the small exchange and turned to Luna.

"Are you ready for dinner?" he asked, taking a small and wary step towards her. When she didn't smile in return or accept his outstretched hand, he raised his confused eyes to her.

"I really should be getting back home. It's a weekday, and I really have loads of pending work," she said hastily.

Hermione frowned slightly, and felt Ron's disappointment come out in waves towards her. She turned to Harry, who like her had also picked up the lost sparkle of his friends eyes.

"Oh, I understand," said Ron, looking as though he didn't understand at all.

Luna bit her lip uncertainly. "I do want to get that article though. Would it be possible to meet tomorrow, for a cup of coffee or something?" she asked.

Ron considered her invitation for a minute. If it really was the article she wanted, then that was what she would get, he decided. "Sure. I'll pick you up at the office?" he asked.

"No, there's no need for that. I'll meet you at the Leaky Cauldron at ten?" she asked, her voice quivering a little.

"Ok fine," he replied.

"It was nice seeing you both after so long," Luna said, turning to Harry and Hermione, who both wore expressions of caution on their faces.

"Yes. Same here," said Hermione, offering a small smile.

"I'll see you later then," said Luna in farewell, and turned to make her way to the exit and out into the dark night. All three pair of eyes followed the fast disappearing back, as it apparated back to its destination, just before the door closed.

"You think I should have offered to drop her home?" asked Ron turning to his best friends.

"I think she's still making up her mind about you. Give her some time," said Harry. Nodding mutely, and carefully avoiding Hermione's steady gaze, Ron made his way towards the exit, while discussing possible eating joints.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The next morning dawned sooner than Luna had anticipated. She sat up in bed and removed the necklace of butterbeer bottle caps from her neck. She rubbed her sore neck and gave a groan. That was one thing she couldn't do anymore, wear all these exciting things.

"I hate being an adult," she said, as she recalled saying the same thing to Samantha a million times.

Samantha- that girl was so dead.

Leading her onto believing that going to a pub would be a good idea had been the most dreadful thing that she could have done. Luna cringed in horror as she recalled the expression on Ron's face as she had declined his offer of dinner.

"Well, sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind," she said, staring into space.

The ringing of the doorbell brought her out of her thoughts, and Luna sat up straighter, reaching out for the watch at her bedside table. "Who could it be at seven in the morning," she muttered in a non-enthusiastic voice.

A quick look through the peep hole confirmed her suspicions, it was Samantha. Giving a loud, highly dramatic yawn, she said "I would hate to curse someone's eyeballs out for waking me up," before opening the door.

"Sam, what are you doing here?" asked Luna, giving her friend a wide eyed, highly exaggerated look.

"Oh, don't act innocent with me. Is he here? Oh Gosh, Lu, if he's here I'll go away," said Samantha, a little flushed.

Luna opened the door a little wider, rolling her eyes. "Would I entertain company wearing this," asked Luna, pointing to her drab purple pajama bottoms and Orange top in an elaborate gesture, "and that too, the company of a man. Oh, whatever will people think of my virtues and morals and principles?" asked Luna, enjoying the way her friend's eyes were rounding every second.

"You mean nothing happened?" asked Samantha, walking into the apartment.

"You were out to make sure something did happen," said Luna, waiting for Samantha's eyes round in defense. When they didn't, she shrugged, "but nothing did".

Samantha shrugged, and made her way towards Luna's kitchen. "I got you milk and some breakfast," she said pointing to the packages in her hand. Luna waved her hand vaguely.

"I still haven't brushed my teeth," she said.

Samantha turned from the cabinet she was looking in for plates, her brow rising excitedly. "That means you still got in late. That's something," she said accusingly.

"No it isn't. We danced a little, then the rest of the trio came along, and then I was out of there," said Luna, rather fast.

"You mean you actually met Harry Potter?" asked Samantha, jumping up and down excitedly.

"Yes," said Luna, rolling her eyes at her friend's reaction. "Stop being such a weirdo, I knew him from Hogwarts."

"Alright. But what happened with Mr. Weasley?"

"That's what I'm saying - Nothing," answered Luna, setting the pot for tea and moving towards her washbasin to brush her teeth.

"But why? Lu, why did you walk out on him," asked Samantha once Luna had narrated the entire story to her.

"I don't want to date him alright. He's just a project," she said, emphasizing on project.

"What about your crush on him?"

"That was so long ago. I'm a grown up woman now," she answered.

"Who still wears orange nail varnish, talks of imaginary creatures and wears radish earrings," said Samantha dramatically.

"Hey, there's nothing wrong with my radish earrings," said Luna defensively.

"I know that. All I'm saying is that give him a chance. Nothing bad could come out of it," said Samantha, an odd challenge in her eyes.

"Yes there could. I could get seriously hurt," said Luna.

"Well, it's your life," said Sam, throwing her arms in the air, "When are you next meeting him?" she asked.

"Today at ten."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Luna looked at her wrist watch for the eleventh time that morning. Where was he? Ron, who she had expected to turn up by ten, was now late by an hour. Luna finished her third cup of coffee and gave an exasperated sigh.

"Well, he isn't going to show up," she concluded, muttering to herself. Rising quickly, Luna threw a few sickles on the table and moved out of the pub. Deciding that she might as well enjoy her morning off, Luna wandered through the long and crowded street of Diagon Alley.

The street always smelled peculiar, and Luna had as a young girl named the smell Magic. As she picked up the familiar smell, she gave a sigh. She had been rather rude to Ron. He was after all doing her a favor; the least she could have done in return was be kind.

A small crowd had gathered around a shop with 'Quidditch' written in bright Yellow Neon lights above it. Curious, Luna made her way through the crowd towards the center of it.

Never in her wildest dreams would she have imagined Ronald Weasley sitting in the middle of the crowd, playing a miniature version of a muggle video game with some boys. From the looks of it, he was enjoying it, too. Luna's hands tightened around her faithful companion, the copy of Quibbler and her other personal belongings. So he had stood her up.

She cursed him colorfully under her breath and quickly made her way in the opposite direction.

$$$$$$$$$$$

Ron Weasley gave a sheepish smile to the young boy with raven color hair who had managed to beat him at the newest of Fred and George's video game creations.

"Well done mate," he said, thumping the young boy on his back.

Turning to smile at the gathered crowd, he spotted a blonde head turn suddenly and stalk away. He looked at her back and…..

"Oh Merlin. Luna," he called, rushing behind her. This time, he really had messed it up.

"Luna, wait up," he shouted, picking up the pace as he drew closer to her.

Finally catching up to her, he caught hold of her arm and turned her around.

"Don't you dare touch me," she shouted at him. He felt a shock go through him as he saw the expression on her face.

"What is the matter with you?" he asked.

"Oh, that's rich. What is the matter with you Ronald Weasley?" she spat at him.

"You don't have to call me by my full name," he hissed.

"Oh yes I do, your highness. You see, people like you are too busy to devote time to other people or turn up for their appointments. Well, sorry for having some expectations," she said angrily, turning again to stalk away.

Ron made an angry move and grabbed her upper arm. "You think I don't value other people?" he asked. When she didn't reply, he caught hold of her other arm and hauled her over his back like a sack of potatoes.

"Put me down this instant," she bellowed, but Ron paid no attention to her, single mindedly making his way back to the raven haired boy.

Putting Luna down next to him, he turned to the boy. "Chris, this is Ms. Lovegood," he said, his voice a little soft.

Turning to Luna, his face hardening again, he said, "That's Chris. He's fan of mine," he said. Turning back to Chris, he gave the boy a small smile and sent him off with an autograph.

"He's suffering from a rare muggle disease. His muggle father passed it onto him, he has only another three months to live. His last wish was to spend sometime with me," said Ron.

Turning back to the boy, who Luna hadn't noticed before, she saw the unhealthy paleness of his skin and the taut skin across his entire body. What was unmistakable, though, was the happy glow in the depths of the boy's eyes.

"He has had, according to his healers, the best one hour of his life and I've helped add a little happiness to his life," said Ron, his eyes flashing in anger. "So if you think that I don't care about people, or don't have time for them, then too bad. Because I think that you've judged me wrong Ms Lovegood. Now, if you want to leave, go ahead. I have nothing more to say to you," he said, quickly abandoning her and making his way back towards the group of boys.

Luna stood shock still on the street watching his back. She felt just pathetic. What was she going to do now?$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$


-->