Unofficial Portkey Archive

Orange nail varnish by Rid
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Orange nail varnish

Rid

A/n- Thanks for all the wonderful reviews you have been showering upon me. It makes me feel on top of the world that so many people like this story and eagerly wait for updates.

However, I had to say bye to Sharon, who was previously beta reading this story, as she has school and other responsibilities on her head. This chapter has been beta read by fallenwitch who also beta reads my other fic- "Can love survive it all". Thank- you so much.

Well, I hope you enjoy the chapter. Remember to leave me a review. And if anyone would like to help me out with beta reading this fic- you can contact me at charmingal2003@rediffmail.com or PM me on the portkey forums- I'm known as charmingal there too.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters you see below. Both Ron and Luna belong to JK Rowling.

Orange Nail Varnish.

What happens when someone arrives on your door at five in the morning? Read to find out.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ron Weasley was anything but a light sleeper. While at Hogwarts he often slept through various kinds of commotion. When Dean and Ginny had broken up, Ron had been safe within the confines of his poster bead, curtains drawn. The only significant moment was when Sirius Black stood over him with a knife in his hand, and almost everyone agreed when he told them, even the heaviest of sleepers couldn't have slept through that.

Right now though, Ronald Weasley was fast asleep, snoring lightly, as the digital clock, a gift from Hermione, struck five. The house was bathed in darkness and silence. The only light came from the street lamp right outside the window next to Ron's bed.

As Ron rolled over, a loud and shrill voice reached his ears. Sitting up fast, he cursed colorfully as the digital clock fell off his side table, because of his hand that bumped it. It landed on the carpet below, making no sound at all. As Ron reached over to put it back in place, the voice came again.

It had been Fred and George's idea of fun, a doorbell that created a commotion every time it was activated. Ron initially agreed that it was quite something. That was before some bloody maniac arrived at his door at five o' clock in the morning.

Rubbing his eyes to get a better look at his compartment, he threw his blanket away and quickly made his way towards the door. A yawn made its way through his mouth as he opened the door. Whoever it was he was expecting, it definitely wasn't Luna Lovegood.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Luna rubbed her hands together, trying desperately to draw some heat into her freezing hands. Her bracelet made entirely of shirt buttons jangled softly together, as she blew on her hands. Merlin is it cold! Wish I was good at warming charms.

She rang the bell again, making sure that it was heard. It had taken a lot of convincing for the gatekeeper of the posh building full of apartments to let her in at five in the morning. She'd come too far to walk away just because Ron was asleep.

She heard him come to the door and expected his angry face when it was pushed open. What she didn't expect was Ron in only his boxer shorts, his hair ruffled, and his mouth wide open in a yawn. As he spotted her, his eyes rounded in shock which was quickly replaced by embarrassment as he realized what he was or was not wearing.

Quickly pulling himself together he asked, "What are you doing here at this hour? Have you gone completely insane?"

Before she lost her nerve, Luna asked quickly, "Can I come in? It's freezing out here?"

Ron nodded his head and stepped away so Luna could make her way in. "Nice choice of night wear, if I may say so," said Luna, feeling heat rise in her face.

She heard him curse and give a small snort as he rushed into what she guessed was his bedroom to change.

Left alone in an all male environment, Luna quickly scanned the walls for a light switch of some sort. When she didn't find one, she transformed a cast away sock into a candle. Admiring its orange color and slightly odd texture, she lit it.

Ron's apartment was a lot like him - messy, confusing, and very much reliant on things put in by others. She spotted half a dozen photo frames aligned on the wall in perfect order. She concluded that they were a gift from Hermione, and when she spotted a small H on the bottom on one, her conclusions were proven right.

Classy and very expensive furniture were obviously choices of Ginny. Luna had heard of Ginny's passion for decorating houses and had experienced it first hand when she received an invitation from Padma Patil to see her new apartment for herself. Ginny did these things for close friends free of charge, although Merlin knew she could earn very well if she did.

The only thing that Luna could associate with Harry was the stack of interesting Sneakoscopes, telescopes, and other Muggle gadgets placed in one corner of the hall. A small velvet covered book caught her attention. Flipping it open, she read Harry's name written in messy writing at the first page.

"Female- the Fe of the male. Hmm….." exclaimed Luna, amused at the title of the book and the fact that Harry had lent it to Ron.

A miniature version of Molly Weasley's family clock's caught her eye. It had the names of all the Weasley's and nine hands indicating their locations. Ron's hand pointed to `Home.'

A small cough behind her made her turn around, and she finally saw Ron looking a little more composed and clothed. "What are you doing here?"

"I was going to wait until tomorrow morning to say this, but I couldn't," said Luna. "I'm sorry." She lowered her eyes, waiting for Ron to blast her off. When he didn't, she looked up at him.

"I don't know what to say because I don't know what you're sorry for," he said, walking towards her.

"I'm sorry for treating you the way I did. It was totally uncalled for and rude of me. You deserved none of the horrible things I said to you," she said, in a rush. "I'm just confused about you. I don't know what running into you after so many years is going to bring, and I guess I'm a little scared".

"I'm not a monster alright. Just relax." Ron stopped before her, standing very close. "I forgive you but only on one condition," he said.

Luna hesitated a little as she stared into his eyes, "What condition?"

"It's my mother's birthday next week, and I would really like it if you came along as my date," he said.

For a split second, Luna didn't know what to say. Ron Weasley wanted to take her to meet his mother on her birthday. What did that mean? Gathering her courage, she said," I have a condition of my own."

Ron's face split into a lazy mischievous grin as he raised his eyebrow, "Which is?"

"You will meet me throughout this week, whenever you can find the time so that I can complete this article," she said. After all, the article was the real reason behind her meeting him, wasn't it?

"Your wish is my command. However, you do have to accompany me to the Burrow thereafter, don't you?" asked Ron, taking a step back and bowing low.

"We'll see," said Luna. She ruffled his hair and gave him a small smile. "See you in the morning at the Leaky Cauldron then," she said and turned around to leave. Reaching his house door, she turned slightly, to find him still on the floor, his hair rumpled. Remembering the book, she said softly, "Good night Ron".

Looking at the bedside digital clock in his hand he said with a smile, "Good morning, Luna."

%%%%%%%%%%%%

As Luna entered her apartment, she felt lighter and definitely a lot better than before. The guilt of treating an innocent person the way she had was not a good thing for anybody's conscience. Taking a small breath, she sat herself down for a cup of coffee at her kitchen table.

Recalling the weird incidents of the recent past, she concluded that there really was nothing Ron had done for her to behave the way she had with him. Then what could have sparked that kind of reaction from her?

The smell of fresh coffee reached her nostrils; it was turning cold. Taking a sip before blowing softly on the surface, she let her mind go down the path it had started to.

It was probably the way she had been brought up. There was no one but Father and her in the family, which was probably why Luna herself hated big gatherings so much. However, she did crave warmth from people, and when she didn't get it in a normal way, she resorted to other means. Not many people knew but some of the creatures she spoke of weren't really there, ever.

But the main reason was the only ever relationship Luna had experienced, immediately after Hogwarts with a guy from the Muggle university Luna had been writing an article on. Jack was what Luna had always thought would be the worst kind of partner for her.

He was tall, with a crop of jet-black hair, and a long, aristocratic nose. He was witty and very intellectually stimulating. The only thing he had in common with Ron was his ability to make her laugh.

However, he had broken her heart, ruthlessly. And when she had found him with another woman, he had blamed her weird nature and the fact that she was a witch. Avada Kedavra had seemed such a simple thing then. Now as she looked back on the painful memories of the last moments she had spent with Jack, she could only blame herself to ever think that someone like Jack could ever love her.

But that didn't make all other guys of the world jerks.

Sitting up straighter and draining her coffee, she made a conscious decision to be politer to Ron. It was only the matter of an article, right?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A/n- Thanks for reading, now review.


-->