Unofficial Portkey Archive

Orange nail varnish by Rid
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Orange nail varnish

Rid

a/n- Thanks to Everyone who reviews faithfully. I'm glad you're taking to the fic. Sorry for the delay.

Everyone, also say Hello to bslehofer, my new beta reader who hasn't yet given me a name to credit to, but once she does, I'll put it here. Thank you so much for helping me. I hope you like the story and I hope you enjoy beta reading it. Also a wave out to Sharon smith, my previous beta reader who helped establish the foundation of this story. This chapter goes out to you.

On to the chapter then.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"So you were never really jealous of Harry?"

"There wasn't any such reason for me to be jealous of him. Yes, I agree sometimes I felt a bit neglected, but when Harry used to talk about being lonely at Christmas, I really just thanked Merlin for the big family I had," said Ron, simply shrugging as Luna gave him a sympathetic look.

"What about when Harry started dating Hermione?" Luna shifted a bit uncomfortably, waiting for Ron to react. If he showed any sign of uneasiness or if she spotted any feelings in his eyes then-

"Nothing really. By the time Harry and Hermione started dating, I was long gone from her life. Besides, Harry is more suited for her," he said, nonchalantly shrugging again and taking a sip of his coffee.

Luna let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. She gave him a shy look. Ron sat up straighter and gave her a small flirtatious wink. Blushing furiously, Luna hid behind the menu.

"So what should we order for breakfast?" asked Ron, feeling extremely warm inside.

"I wouldn't mind a cheese sandwich, although I have to make sure Tom doesn't put any meat in it," said Luna, quickly lowering the menu card and looking around for Tom, the keeper. When she couldn't locate him anywhere, her eyes turned back to Ron. "What happened?"

He was shocked, "You're a vegetarian?" he asked his eyebrows buried somewhere deep within his hair line.

"Yes," she said simply.

"Since when?" asked Ron, putting his menu aside.

"The last two years," she said, noting the hint of panic in Ron's voice. "Is something wrong?" she asked, concerned.

"No- no everything's fine. So vegetarian it is," he said, raising the menu again to scan for a different dish.

"But I don't understand," said Luna, a bit confused.

"Well, when I'm out with a lady and if she's a vegetarian then I go vegetarian too," he said, talking to her as if to a five year old.

"Which book has that been written in?" asked Luna, highly amused now.

"In the book of masculine chivalry. Enough now let's order," said Ron, beckoning Tom, who appeared out of thin air.

"Really, you don't need to order vegetarian for my sake. You can stick to your eggs," said Luna, smirking.

"You mean you don't even eat eggs?" asked Ron, his voice back to being panicky.

"Yes. There's no need for this. You order your eggs or whatever it is you like, and I'll order my cheese sandwich," said Luna, turning to Tom, to give her order.

Before she could say anything, "Two cheese sandwiches without any meat Tom," said Ron, quickly dismissing the keeper.

"I still didn't get how Tom appeared so soon when you called him," said Luna, feeling the feminine rebel rise in her.

"Let's forget that. I'm still getting used to the idea of digesting peas," said Ron, making a big face.

She couldn't help it any longer; she burst into peals of laughter. "Don't worry, its only going to be some bread, some cheese and carrot," said Luna, reading out the sub text from the menu, still in her hands.

"Carrot, that's worse," said Ron, giving a dramatic and girlish squeal. And they both burst into some more laughter.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"So how was it?" asked Samantha, excitement evident on her face. "Did you get any dirt out of him?" she asked, rubbing her hands together.

"No, it was good, but I still haven't found out anything too exciting out of him," said Luna adding finishing touches to the article she was editing. Her quill moved fast, her eyes scanning the paper almost unblinkingly.

"So that's it, a breakfast date and nothing," asked Samantha, "Were you guys just staring into each others eyes?" she asked, fluttering her lids in a romantic manner.

"No," said Luna, giving a small smile. "But I did find out that he's a perfect gentleman," she said, putting her quill down and giving her friend a flying kiss. "Ta ta babes, I'm off to meet my prince charming," she said quickly exiting.

"Prince charming, eh?"

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"And that's me and Hermione when we were researching for Harry," said Ron, pointing to a picture which showed Hermione furiously reading from a big book, while Ron yawned and made odd noises every now and then.

"Is that in your first year?" asked Luna, coming a little closer to see more clearly.

"Yes, we were researching on Nicholas Flamel," said Ron, taking a small breath. Luna's close proximity brought her unique scent to his nostrils. She smelled of oranges and lemons, and a hint of mint. "Hm…. Nice perfume," he said.

As if suddenly realizing that she was sitting very close to him, she quickly moved a little away. "Sorry," she smiled, "and that one?" she asked pointing to another picture, where Harry and Ron were busy playing with the snow, as Hermione watched with a content look on her face.

"That's in our third year. That was the craziest year of our life," said Ron, a small smile on his face.

Luna smiled too, flipping another page as they continued to watch the pictures together.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"So all you did was flip through the family photo album?" asked Samantha, frustrated at the slow pace that her friend's research was coming along.

"Yes. It was sweet. And I really learnt a lot about him," said Luna, taking a bite out of the sandwich she was having for lunch.

"Oh really, like what?" asked Samantha, with a raise of her eyebrow.

"Like, he hates spiders. He can't stand them," she said, smiling as if narrating a very fond memory.

"Really. What else?" asked Samantha, seeming mildly interested.

"He hates it when people nag him. Loves to eat meat, but you know what? When he's with me, he doesn't touch it," said Luna, putting her sandwich down excitedly. "He loves to do this impression of Snape with a bee troubling him. He stands still and then swaps an invisible bee, all the while talking about `bewitching the mind and ensnaring the sense'," finished Luna, almost laughing.

"Really?"

"Yes, and he just has the sweetest way of accepting a compliment. He'll go all red, grinning all the while, but he won't ask me to stop either," she said and burst into laughter.

With a knowing smile, Samantha gave Luna a pat on the back, "I'll let you finish your lunch now," she said and moved away.

%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Mate, you got any meat in the house," asked Ron, following Harry into the kitchen of Harry and Hermione's apartment.

"Yeah. We've got some steak and eggs in the refrigerator. Why?" asked Harry. Ron seemed to have a dazed look on his face, as if he couldn't wait to see food. "You okay?" asked Harry.

"What? Yeah, I am. I've not had any meat since two days," said Ron, moving quickly towards the fridge. "Luna is a vegetarian," he said, reaching in for the pack of eggs.

"So. What does that have to do with you?" asked Harry, remembering how Ron had burst into his house just three days before.

"I've been taking meals with her," he said, trying very hard to be normal.

"What?" Taking the egg's from the hands of an inexperienced Ron, Harry set them on a pan, and quickly alighted the Wizard meal maker. "Tell me more," he said.

"Well she apologized and I asked her out again," he said, lost with nothing to do in the kitchen.

"You can cut the onions and tomatoes," said Harry, pointing to the chopper kept on the opposite side. "Well done. So how's it been?"

"Nice. You know, she's really not all that loony. I mean yeah she has her share of quirks, but who doesn't?" said Ron, all the while washing the tomatoes.

"Really?"

"Yes. She has this cute way to crinkle her nose when she likes a smell. Its just so Luna," he said. "And then she says something weird or funny just to lighten the mood `cause I'm staring at her".

"Don't forget the onions," reminded Harry, studying his friend closely.

"And you know what, she smells of oranges with lemons and mint. I mean have you ever heard of a combination like that?" asked Ron. "It's so unique and original, just like Luna," he finished.

"I wouldn't know, Hermione prefers Strawberries," said Harry, watching Ron but through the onions without shedding a single tear. "You sure you're alright?" he asked.

"Never better".

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

a/n. Hope you liked it. Now review.


-->