Unofficial Portkey Archive

Orange nail varnish by Rid
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Orange nail varnish

Rid

a/n- My greatest thanks to all my reviewers. I noticed that this particular pairing isn't so popular amongst fanfition readers, but I hope that once the later chapter come out you'll enjoy the story.

In apology for the lack of length of the previous chapter, here's a longer one. Hope you enjoy it.

Orange Nail Varnish

What happens on the date? Can these two ever get together?

@@@@@@@@@@@

Luna stood before the full length mirror of her apartment and studied her appearance. Cursing her hair, she wondered for the hundredth time why it had to be so straight. All her attempts at getting it to curl or even add a little wave had been in vain. Her hair simply refused to cooperate.

She was dressed casually, as casual as one could be while meeting their old time crush. Her top was in a very light shade of blue, adding a little color to her pale appearance. She turned a little to the left, examining her white, straight, touch-the-ground trousers. They made her look taller, and she needed as much height as she could get.

She remembered how Ron's presence in the Leaky Cauldron had affected her. Years of Quidditch had turned him into a man off one of the muggle harlequin books that Luna so loved to read. A little above six feet, with broad shoulders and straight cut Weasley red hair, he intimidated her in every way.

Selecting the only pair of shoes that made her look tall, Luna stepped out of her room, slowly making her way to the fireplace in the hall. She had insisted that they go to muggle London. Samantha had mentioned a pub that might be ideal for people in their situation - old buddies, new acquaintance. She had asked Ron to meet her at Diagon alley.

Stepping into the fire, she said in a clear voice- "The Leaky Cauldron".

@@@@@@@@@@

Ron walked the length of the Leaky cauldron, waiting for his companion for the evening to turn up. As he passed a table occupied by three ladies, he distinctly heard the whistles that came his way. Usually he would have stopped at their table, flirted a little, smiled a lot and then asked one of them out. Today however he was in no mood. Luna was half a minute late.

'Forget it mate, she ain't gonna turn up!' he thought, but then under his breath hissed, "She will!" Giving out a small huff, he decided to stop arguing with himself, and sit down at the nearest table and continue to wait.

Luna had mentioned the name of the muggle club that was to be their destination, and frankly, Enigma didn't sound like a place that would be well lit. Muggle places made him nervous.

Lost in his thoughts he didn't see her emerge from the fireplace on his left, and was surprised by her soft "Ron." He turned to meet a totally different woman from his one time friend. This was an angel that somehow had entered the body of Loony Lovegood.

She offered her hand to him, which he accepted with grace, and then placed a small kiss on the back of. Her characteristic orange nail varnish still adorned her long fingers, but there was something entirely different in her appearance tonight.

He was about to ask her to lead the way when she thrust her arm at him again. "Smell," was all she said. He bent his head obediently and took a whiff of her perfume. It smelled, well interesting. He looked back up at her and raised an eyebrow. "Niffler fur," she said, eyes sparkling. Ron sputtered slightly and unconsciously rubbed his nose. Yet when Luna burst into gales of laughter at his small gesture, he didn't feel so weird anymore.

"My lady," he said, offering her his arm, and they set off for muggle London.

@@@@@@@@@@@

"This really is a cool place," shouted Ron over the thumping music that rang through the club.

Upon entering, Ron's eyes had rounded suspiciously. Enigma was not really a well lit or cozy place for couples. There were what seemed like millions of muggle's, dancing to what Luna had explained to him as Rock and Roll music. Apprehensive at first, Ron felt a little better once on the dance floor as he noticed that he wasn't the only one with two left feet. He had to admit, too, that dancing this close to his date was great.

Yet. While Luna was smiling at all of his jokes, he felt as though she were being very stiff with him. As if she was afraid to have too much fun. She was maintaining a distance, which wasn't just physical. Ron couldn't place it, but something was askew.

As the Dj took a break, for what he said would be five minutes, Ron bent closer to Luna, "Do you want a drink?" he asked.

She shook her head enthusiastically. He smiled, politely took her hand, and they made their way to the bar. Once they were there, he felt Luna withdraw her hand, lightly. His spirits instantly fell and with a frown he ordered two drinks.

"Hey, make that four," said a voice from behind him. Ron swirled around, and was pleasantly surprised to see two of his best friends.

"Hey Harry," he said, hitting him on his back. "Hermione," he said, giving her a small smile. Hermione and Harry had realized their true feeling for each other shortly after Ron and Hermione had broken off. He felt Luna stiffen next to him.

"Harry, Hermione, I'm sure you remember Luna," he said matter-of-factly. Harry's eyes instantly lit up upon seeing Luna, and Ron felt a little tinge of something. Hermione nodded briefly, before turning to the bartender for her drink.

"How have you been?" asked Harry, inclining his head in Luna's direction, obviously expecting a weird or funny remark.

"I've been well," answered Luna. Harry's eyes sparkled with mischief as he waited for something else to come out of Luna's mouth. When nothing else happened, he said softly, "I don't get it." Ron closed his eyes in embarrassment. Please let things go ok!

"Didn't you guys date once?" asked Luna, turning to Hermione.

Quite taken aback, Hermione simply nodded. "It was a long time ago," she said, turning a little red.

Luna shook her head, "As far as I remember, it was immediately after you guys graduated."

Ron could sense Harry's back stiffen, as he probably recalled the messy break-up that his two friends had experienced, and silently urged Hermione to do something before the mood was ruined. Hermione cleared her throat noisily. "Excuse us boys; I think we need to retouch our makeup. Luna why don't you come with me to the Ladies room," said Hermione, conspicuously inclining her head in the opposite direction.

"I'm not wearing any make-up," said Luna softly, but followed Hermione anyways.

@@@@@@@@@@

"My god!" exclaimed Harry as soon as the two women had left. "What was all that about?" he asked.

Ron gave a small sigh and nursed his drink, his eyes fixed on a spot on the bar table. "Beats me," he said.

"Not going well?" asked Harry, taking a swig of his drink.

Ron frowned lightly, and took another sip of his drink. "Does it look like its going well?"

Harry smiled, "Where did you meet her anyways?"

"I didn't. Ginny bumped into her while she was waiting to meet me," he replied.

"Man, is this a date?" asked Harry.

"No. She wants to get some sort of an article. Apparently, her magazine needs me," he said, before cursing softly.

"Hmm…… that serious, eh? So you do like her?" said Harry.

"I don't know. I just wanted to meet up with her, but after today, I doubt she'll want to do this again," he said.

"What makes you say that?" Harry asked.

"She doesn't seem comfortable around me, doesn't seem to be enjoying herself, and doesn't laugh at my jokes," he said, his head in his hands.

Harry burst into warm laughter, and Ron looked up to give him a dirty look. "That's it?! All you're worried about is her reaction to your jokes?" he asked.

"There's the comfort level too," whined Ron.

"You can't expect her to run into your arms. Besides, she's supposed to be here on business. Would you be kissing her while you're in the middle of a game?" he asked.

"What are you saying?" Ron asked, looking utterly confused at Harry.

"I'm saying have patience. Let her see the side of you that isn't the Quidditch player," he said, "excluding you underwear, let her see what Ron Weasley really is all about."

"I can do that," he said, suddenly excited. "Besides, I've got designer underwear, why leave that out either?"

"Yeah. Ask her out again, and promise to give her the best article she's ever written," he said, thumping his best friend on the back.

"Yeah!" said Ron, his spirits finally lifted.

"Great, now you can thank me by paying for these drinks- these are way overpriced," said Harry, giving Ron a small wink.

@@@@@@@@@@

"What's all this about?" asked Luna, once they were safely within the confines of the ladies room.

"What is the matter with you? Why did you have to bring Ron and my relationship up? "Asked Hermione, rather red in the face. She closed her eyes briefly, taking a calming breath and asked again, "Why are you acting so out of character?"

Luna gave a small laugh, "What do you know about my character? How would you know anything about me? I'm just Loony Lovegood? What good will it do to know what she likes?" she said, her eyes flashing. "Who cares what books she reads, as long as you see her carrying the Quibbler. Who cares about the fact that Orange isn't her favourite color and yet that is the only constant color in her wardrobe. Who cares that she's more than just some weirdo who hangs around the DA?"

"What does that have anything to do with what you did outside?" asked Hermione, her voice rising again.

"Everything. It's like all you people expect me to act in a certain way. Like the way Harry waited for me to say something weird or funny when he was speaking to me. It's like all you people have a set way in which you look at me. You think I like being the weird one, don't you? Well I don't alright," finished Luna, in a huff. "And stop looking at me like that," she added, as she noted Hermione's shocked expression.

Hermione's face twisted in pain as her words found home. Instantly it filled with an odd sort of understanding and a hint of sympathy. "You're right. We do have pre-conceived notions about the way you behave, don't we? I'm sorry Luna, now that I hear you say it, I understand it. I've gone through my life living the under the same notions and opinions," said Hermione, bending her head low, recalling her ever preceding bookworm image. "But now when I'm with Harry, I feel little differently. That's why I didn't want anything to ruin it, especially a night out with Ron's date," she added.

Luna winced slightly, as guilt took over, replaced swiftly by embarrassment. "I'm not his date!" she added hastily. Hermione looked at her face, and noted the flushed expression.

"You aren't?"

"No. He's promised to give me an interview for the Quibbler. That's the only reason I'm here with him," she said. While saying it though, Luna realized how foolish she sounded. Nobody wrote an article in a club. Samantha was so dead!

"Alright," said Hermione simply.

"No, its just professional , you've got to understand," said Luna again.

Hermione nodded her understanding and added, "Alright. I believe you."

"I'm sorry for the way I behaved outside," Luna added, changing the topic before it got out of hand.

"It's alright. Truce?"

"Truce," said Luna, smiling a little now.

"Good! Now let's do what we said we would," said Hermione, turning to the mirror in the Ladies room. "You know," she said eyeing her appearance in the mirror, "I'm not wearing any make-up either," said Hermione. Luna looked at the Golden Brain of the trio and burst out laughing.

Things weren't so bad after all

@@@@@@@@@@@

A/n- Thanks for reading- Review!


-->