Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not by AJ Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not

AJ Potter

Chapter 10: Friends
July
6 - 8:30pm - Grimmauld Place

"How's he doing?" Harry questioned as he entered the makeshift hospital room. He'd stumbled dazed out of the bedroom upstairs only moments before the only thought in his head that he needed to talk to Hermione. He'd finally found her sitting beside Neville near Ron's bed.

"Much better, we just sent Luna upstairs to bed. We had to promise we'd wake her if he wakes up," Hermione explained. Harry pulled a chair over to the other side of Ron's bed and sat down across from his friends.

"Dumbledore just told us that Dudley is a wizard," Harry blurted it out surprising even himself.

"Shouldn't he have received a letter years ago?" Neville wanted to know. He didn't know much about Harry's cousin. He had attempted to introduce himself yesterday only to be called a freak and told to do something that sounded anatomically impossible. He had not spoken to the other boy since.

"Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon didn't want to keep me. Dumbledore tried to convince her by saying that it might help Dudley to have another wizard around who was about the same age," Harry began, "only Aunt Petunia went ballistic. Finally, Dumbledore gave in and for everyone's safety promised to bind Dudley's powers so that he wouldn't accidentally do magic on the condition that my Aunt and Uncle take me in and raise me."

"But it should have been Dudley's choice whether or not he wanted to learn about magic. It's part of who he is," Hermione protested.

"It was the only way to seal the blood magic protection of my mother." Harry replied simply.

"So what happens now that Dudley knows he's a wizard?" Neville questioned.

"I don't know. He didn't take it well. My Aunt and Uncle hated everything magical and Dudley has always seemed to feel the same way. I think Dumbledore hoped that Dudley and I would be closer, but we've never been close," Harry answered looking down at his hands.

He honestly didn't know how he felt about Dumbledore's revelations. He would never have imagined his bullying cousin could be a wizard. After the dementor attack last summer Dudley had barely spoken to Harry and seemed to avoid him at all cost. Harry had been fine with this arrangement. He hadn't even known what to say when Moody had brought Dudley to Grimmauld yesterday.

"He moved his hand," Neville's excited voice broke the silence and brought Harry from his thoughts.

"What?" Harry questioned confused.

"Ron's moving his hand," Neville repeated. Hermione took Ron's hand in hers and squeezed it gently.

"Ron? Can you hear me?" Hermione pleaded. She felt his fingers tighten on hers slightly. "He just squeezed my hand," she informed Harry and Neville who were watching Ron's face.

"Wa…water," Ron managed eyes still closed though his lashes were fluttering as if he were trying to force them open. Hermione leaned in and hugged him as Harry grabbed a glass of water from the nightstand beside the bed. Hermione pulled back and raised Ron's head gently as Harry held the glass for him. Ron looked up at his friends just before Harry held the glass out to him.

"Here you go, Ron, take a drink," Harry offered bringing the glass to Ron's lips when he realized his friend wasn't able to grasp the glass himself. Ron drank gratefully helped him settle back against the pillows.

"What happened?" His voice was stronger this time.

"Death eaters attacked the Burrow. Ginny and everyone else are fine, but you got hurt. We've been waiting for you to wake up, mate," Harry answered. Ron seemed content with this answer.

"I'll fetch Madam Pomfrey and everyone else," Neville volunteered rising from his seat. Hermione smiled her thanks at him.

"Don't forget to wake Luna," she reminded him. Neville nodded and disappeared.

"Loony?" Ron queried.

"It's Luna, Ron," Hermione corrected him, "and she made us promise we'd let her know when you woke."

"She won't come in here will she?" Ron asked concerned.

"She probably will, she's been very concerned about you," Hermione revealed hoping her friend would get the hint that Luna appeared to like him.

"She's a nutter," Ron protested.

"Luna may be a bit different, but she's really nice," Harry defended the blonde haired girl to Ron.

"Whatever," Ron sighed. Within moments his eyes had closed and he had fallen back to sleep. Molly and Arthur Weasley along with Luna, Ginny, Fred, George, and Neville entered the room just as he had fallen back to sleep.

"Ron?" Molly Weasley called coming to rest beside her son's bed. She brushed his hair back from his forehead, but he didn't wake again.

"He was talking, just tired," Hermione explained to the new arrivals as they clustered around his bed.

"He'll be awake and wanting food by tomorrow, I bet," George Weasley said trying to reassure his mum.

"Yeah, knowing ickle Ronnikins he'll inhale enough food for three people and still have room for chocolate frogs," Fred added. Several smiled at the twins words thinking about how true they were. Ron's appetite was notorious.

"You children should all get off to bed, I'll stay with him tonight," Molly Weasley ordered shooing the others from the room.

* * * * *

Everyone went upstairs to change for bed. Several Order members had fetched clothing and belongings for each of the teens. Hermione had gone off to her own room but promised to return to talk. So when a knock sounded at Harry's door he pulled an old t-shirt on and tried to sound normal.

"Come in," he called running a hand nervously through his messy hair. Even though he'd admitted his feelings and they'd kissed, he found himself nervous around her uncertain of how to act now that she was more than just one of his best friends. Much to his surprise, Neville entered the room.

"Harry, could I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure, have a seat," Harry offered waving a hand towards Ron's empty bed. He sat down on his own facing the other boy who settled on the edge of Ron's bed.

"I had a hard time falling asleep last night, and well, I was wondering if you'd mind if I stayed in here with you?"

"I guess, I've been having a lot of nightmares, so I probably won't be a very good roommate," Harry explained looking down at his bedspread.

"I know. We've shared a dorm for five years now. I just keep seeing my Gran. If I'd gotten there a little sooner maybe I could have saved her," Neville's voice broke.

"Are you sure you want to stay here with me? I mean Voldemort seems intent on killing anyone who comes near me. I'd understand if you didn't want to be friends anymore, especially after what happened to your gran," Harry mumbled his voice quiet.

"Voldemort sent those death eaters after Gran and me because I fought them. It wasn't your fault, Harry. I'm proud to be your friend. If you hadn't believed in me and taught me all those defensive spells, Gretchen and I may have been killed as well," Neville stated with such conviction that Harry looked up at him surprised.

"If it helps, I can honestly say I'd follow you into battle again," Neville added. "Next time I'll be more prepared though." At this last remark both smiled.

"We both will. You did really well that night. Thanks, Neville," Harry replied. Before either could say anything else another knock sounded at the door.

"Come in," Harry called and watched as this time Hermione entered the room.

"Sorry, am I interrupting?" She questioned looking from Harry to Neville and back. Harry looked at Neville who shook his head.

"Of course, not, come on over and join us," Harry invited. Hermione hesitated for only a moment then sat down next to Harry on his bed.

"So what are you two talking about?" Hermione questioned curiously.

"Just talking," Harry answered smiling at her. "I like your pajamas." She was wearing baggy blue drawstring pants with a matching shirt in yellow and blue with a cat on the front that looked remarkably like Crookshanks. Hermione blushed.

"Me, too," Neville added, "the cat looks like Crookshanks." Hermione's blush deepened.

"Thanks, guys. So what do you think Moody has in mind for us tomorrow?" Hermione asked changing the subject.

"He'll attack, probably early trying to catch us sleeping," Neville suggested.

"I think your right, Neville," Harry added. "He's probably expecting us to be in separate rooms and will likely use that eye of his to seek us out and then attack us one by one."

"What if we're not in separate rooms?" Hermione mused. Neither boy spoke for several moments thinking about what she had just suggested. Finally, Harry broke the silence.

"It would surprise him, and probably give at least two of us a warning that an attack was occurring."

"Should we form a plan of action?" Neville questioned.

"I'm not sure. We don't know exactly what he'll do or who he'll go after first. Rolling off the beds and onto the floor might help us avoid some spells, but we'll have to disarm him somehow." Hermione pointed out biting her lower lip in concentration.

"What if we do something completely unexpected? Hermione, you and I should focus on distracting Moody and drawing his attention, then Neville can disarm him." Harry explained excited at the prospect of surprising Moody. The others stared at him for a moment as slow smiles crept across their faces.

"It's perfect. What do you think, Neville?"

"I like it," Neville replied then yawned. "I don't know about you two, but I'm kind of sleepy." Harry looked at Hermione then Neville.

"Would you mind if Hermione stayed with us, Neville?" Harry asked hoping the other boy would approve.

"I guess not," Neville answered then added," do you want me to go back to my room?"

"No, it's ok," Hermione protested. "You were here first. I just didn't want to be alone. Gretchen's staying in the same room as Ginny, so that left me down the hall by myself."

"Stay, Hermione. Maybe we can all keep each others nightmares away," Harry suggested his voice soft. He pulled the covers down and crawled under them.

"We're just sleeping, Neville," Hermione pointed out to the other boy who had already snuggled down under the covers on the other bed.

"It's ok, Hermione. I didn't want to be alone tonight either. You and Harry have liked each other forever and the past few weeks have been rough. I'm happy for you both."

"Thanks, Neville," Hermione replied sliding under the covers beside Harry.

"Thanks, Neville, good night," Harry added sliding closer to Hermione. She turned to him hugging him to her, her head against his chest. Harry tightened an arm around her and breathed in the scent of her hair. He hoped they would hold each others nightmares at bay because tomorrow was going to be a very long day.

* * *
* *

Author's Note: Many thanks to all who have reviewed! If you like the story or something about it please let me know. I also appreciate ideas for improvement and comments on mistakes. I like responding to reviews, but haven't tried to do so at portkey just yet. I hope to work on that today. For those who are concerned that Hermione and the others have moved past their grief, they haven't and will continue to have their moments when they mourn for those who are lost. Thanks so much!