Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not by AJ Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not

AJ Potter

Chapter 15: Animagi
July 7 - 9:30am - Grimmauld Place

Molly Weasley healed Hermione's cuts and scrapes, careful to remove any splinters, all the while grumbling about Moody's dangerous teaching methods. Harry stayed out of her way. He wasn't entirely pleased with Moody's test either, but felt a measure of satisfaction at besting the older man. Neville walked into the make-shift hospital room just as she finished and began putting things away.

"How are you, Hermione?" Neville asked immediately.

"I'm fine it was just some cuts," Hermione answered tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "What happened after we left?"

"I enervated Charlie and Tonks, but couldn't wake Moody. Finally, Tonks, Charlie and I all said the spell at the same time and he came to. That was some spell you used, Harry."

"Ur, thanks, I guess. I just wanted it to be over and knocking Moody out seemed the only way to ensure that," Harry answered. He still did not know exactly what he had done or if he could do the same thing again. It just seemed to happen.

"Did he say anything about Harry's last spell or how he thought we did?" Hermione pushed ever curious when it came to marks or comments on how well she had done something. Harry found himself smiling at her remark as it reminded him of the old Hermione, who worried about NEWTS several years in advance. It was nice to see that aspect of her coming to the fore instead of the grief stricken, determined witch he'd seen more of lately.

"No, just that he'd be back tomorrow morning at 5:00 to start our dueling training," Neville replied. Molly harrumphed in response to Neville's comment about Moody returning, but did not say anything.

"Thanks, Mrs. Weasley, for taking care of those cuts," Harry said deciding it would be better to continue their conversation about the duel and his spell out of Mrs. Weasley's hearing.

"Yes, thanks Mrs. Weasley," Hermione added quickly getting up from the chair Ms. Weasley had ordered her to sit in while she tended to her.

"Your welcome, dears," Molly Weasley responded kindly. Then added, curiously, "where is Luna?" Harry and Hermione looked at each other debating who would be the one to tell Mrs. Weasley that Luna had left with Fred and George. Finally, Harry looked away and answered her question.

"She went with Fred and George to their shop. She was supposed to help them with one of their inventions."

"What! Oh, those two…how irresponsible," Molly muttered almost to herself. "Why were they always doing these stupid, dangerous things?"

"They all three know how to protect themselves, Mrs. Weasley, and I'm sure that no matter how much Fred and George love to joke around they wouldn't let anything bad happen to her," Hermione found herself defending the two to Mrs. Weasley much to her surprise.

"Does Jeremiah know where Luna went?" She demanded in the tone only a mother could convey.

"I don't know," Hermione said truthfully. "I suppose she would have told her father before she left. Tonks said that she was going to check on that."

"I'll speak to him," Molly decided checking on Ron who was still sleeping peacefully, before leaving the room.


As soon as she left the room, Fawkes appeared in a burst of fire, and dropped a letter into Harry's hands before disappearing again in another burst of flame.

"Wow!" Neville exclaimed not having witnessed Fawkes delivering a message prior to this. Harry opened the letter slowly. He still hadn't settled on how he felt about Dumbledore. He read through it quickly and then read it aloud to Hermione and Neville.

Dear Harry,
I need to speak with you this evening about a matter that has been brought
to my attention. I also have a letter for you from Gringotts regarding your godfather's last wishes.
Sincerely,
Albus Dumbledore

"I hadn't even thought about that," Harry mumbled barely audible. His guilt at Sirius's death came flooding back nearly overwhelming him. Hermione slipped an arm around his waist in comfort her own face taking on a look of sadness as she thought of Sirius and her parents. She tucked her head against his shoulder as fresh tears sparkled in her eyes.

"I guess I'll be receiving one from Gringotts about my Grans," Neville said quietly. He felt the loss all over again.

"Oh no," Hermione whispered in horror pulling back from Harry. Both boys looked at her.

"Hermione?" Harry said her name softly wondering what could have caused that look of horror.

"Several years ago my parents told me that if something should happen to them my guardian would be my Uncle Elias in France," Hermione explained. "What if he wants me to move to France or worse makes me go to a school there?"

"Dumbledore would just have to convince him to let you stay here," Harry insisted not wanting to think about the idea of Hermione moving to France and possibly transferring to Beauxbatons or some other school. The three fell silent each lost in grief and contemplating the future without their parents and guardians. Hermione did not want to think about the possibility of leaving Harry, Hogwarts, and everyone else she had come to love over the last five years, especially not on top of losing her parents. She could feel the tears sliding silently down her checks even as Harry pulled her closer. She buried her head against his shoulder again crying as if she would never stop. She couldn't lose everything.

"We'll just have to apply to be emancipated," Neville stated firmly. Harry shot Neville a curious look, while Hermione rubbed at her wet cheeks, turning to look at Neville as well. Neville blushed at the attention, but recited, "Wizarding law allows for an underage wizard to apply for majority status upon the death of his or her parents as long as the wizard has completed his Ordinary Wizarding Level exams."

Harry and Hermione stared in amazement. Neville, still pink faced went on quietly, "I checked the law last year because I was concerned about what might happen to me if something happened to Grans and my parents were still in St. Mungo's."

"I'm in," Harry said. He didn't need to think about it. He couldn't ask another person to step in as his guardians. He'd lost five already between his parents, Sirius, and his aunt and uncle. "Does that mean we would be able to get apparition licenses?"

"Yes, we would be adults in the wizarding world," Neville answered his confidence increasing as he realized he knew more about this than the other two, which didn't occur often. "It will work well for both you and me, but Hermione could still face a problem if she tries to go back to the muggle world. Just because she's an adult here, doesn't mean she would be there."

"I'm needed here," Hermione said simply her voice soft. "If my parents haven't changed anything about my guardian, I'll just write to my Uncle and explain to him that I want to stay here and in the wizarding world. As Neville said, as long as I stay in the wizarding world, there is really nothing he could do about it."

Hermione dried her eyes on her sleeve. They had the beginnings of a plan of action. She could do this. Tears wouldn't bring her parents back. She needed to think. She'd research what Neville had talked about as well.

"Should we tell Dumbledore of our plans?" Neville questioned curious as to what the others might say on this matter.

"Would he help us?" Harry countered not sure if Dumbledore would approve of their idea.

"I don't know," Neville replied honestly.

"We'll check the library to see how to go about it precisely, and then we can decide whether or not to try to enlist Dumbledore's help," Hermione said settling the matter. "I'll look for something to help us in the library here this evening. For now, we should get back to practicing for tomorrow's dueling session." With a plan of action determined, Harry and Neville quickly agreed and the three went back to the basement room to practice.

* * * * * *

July 7 - 1:50pm - Grimmauld Place

Minerva McGonagall entered Grimmauld Place via the front door. She had always disliked the mess involved when traveling by floo powder, so she had apparated to the Leaky Cauldron and then walked the relatively short distance to Grimmauld Place.

"Hello, professor," Remus Lupin greeted her as he came down the stairs to find her in the front entryway.

"Good afternoon, Remus, and its Minerva. You are no longer one of my students," she replied quietly her Scottish burr slightly more pronounced.

"Been visiting family, I hear," Remus guessed. She smiled in response before answering.

"Yes, I have, and it was nice to go home for awhile." She pulled a small object from her pocket and with a tap of her wand her valise returned to its normal size. "How is Mr. Weasley?"

"Good, I'm told he was awake this morning and had an entire bowl of soup before falling back to sleep." Minerva nodded at the good news.

"Where are Mr. Potter, Miss Granger, and Mr. Longbottom?"

"I think they have gone back downstairs to practice some defensive spells. They are taking their training quite serious. They have each been staying busy and not eating so well. Tonks says we should give them another couple of days before we confront them about taking better care of themselves."

"I would agree with Ms. Tonks. They have each suffered quite a shock. They will need time to deal with their losses. How are you, Remus?" Remus looked at his former professor surprised that she had inquired as to his health.

"Do not think that myself and others have not realized that since Sirius's death you have thrown yourself into your work for the Order and have also not been eating or sleeping so well," Minerva pointed out to the younger man. "You need to take care of yourself as well, Remus."

"I know your right, but it's just so hard sometimes. Being here at Grimmauld doesn't make it any easier either," Remus replied surprised that he was actually answering her question. "I know that Harry blames himself for Sirius and for his aunt and uncle. I think that Hermione has helped him to deal with being back here."

"We have each other to lean on, Remus, you would do well to talk to someone as well, myself perhaps, or Ms. Tonks."

"Thank you, Minerva, I will keep that in mind." The two lapsed into silence.

"So they are in the basement room that Albus discussed setting up for their training?"

"Yes," Remus answered as the two walked in that direction. They made their way down the old stone stairs to the large stone room. The room had been cleared entirely except for the three students who appeared to be dueling each other in turn. As the two watched Hermione froze Neville in a block of ice, winning the duel. She then unfroze him and the three turned to face the new arrivals.

"Good afternoon, Professor McGonagall, Professor Lupin," Hermione greeted as the two moved closer.

"Good afternoon, Miss Granger, excellent freezing charm," Minerva complimented coming to a stop in front of the students. "That was some nice spell work from you as well, Mr. Longbottom." Both Neville and Hermione smiled at the praise.

"Shall we get started then?" Minerva suggested motioning for Remus to leave. He turned to do so, as she conjured some chairs and a table. "Please have a seat."

The three followed her directions sitting down facing her. She took the seat opposite them and pulled three books from her bag which she sat on the floor beside her chair. She handed one copy to each of them.

"Since you all know why I am here, I will go ahead and give you these and inform you that I will meet with you twice a week to go over exercises with you and determine if you will be able to become an animagus." She looked at each of them in turn scrutinizing their faces.

"I will expect you to take this all extremely seriously as becoming an animagus requires a lot of commitment and is certainly not an easy undertaking or one that should be taken lightly. The transformation can be quite dangerous." She paused again to let that sink in before continuing. "I will expect you to read that entire book and to practice the basic exercises. Now, are there any questions?"

"How do you know we will be able to do this?" Neville questioned uncertain if he had the talent or ability to become an animagus. Transfiguration had never been his strong suit.

"I don't know. I do know that all wizards have the basic ability to become an animagus, but few have the talent and commitment to follow through on that. Most wizards choose never to bother because it is a complicated procedure and is painful at first. There are also always risks involved. Transformations, especially early on, can go wrong if one is not carefully supervised by an experienced animagus during the first few attempts and changes. We do not normally teach students how to do this because it is felt that it is a decision that one should make as an adult. If a student shows particular talent at various self-transfigurations then I will speak to that student and let them know that I think they have real potential for becoming an animagus and offer them a book from the Ministry so that when they graduate they can decide whether to pursue the training or not."

"What animal will we become?" Harry questioned thinking about his father and Sirius's forms.

"We will not know that for awhile yet. The form you take is in direct correlation to your inner self and will begin to show its self as we work through the basic exercises to prepare your bodies for the transformation. Now, if there are no further questions, I would like for you to read the introduction and first chapter. When you are finished begin working on the first exercise of making your hair grow."

The three settled into reading. The book was quite small with short chapters and Hermione finished reading the introduction and first chapter in roughly ten minutes. She read back over the directions for how to make one's hair grow. It didn't sound all that complicated. She propped the book open on the table in front of her and closed her eyes to concentrate just as the book had instructed. She then pictured her bushy brown curls. She thought back to the time in third year when she and Harry had gone back in time and she had seen the back of her past self's hair.
Focusing just on her hair she willed it to grow.

Harry looked up as Hermione propped her book up on the table. He had just made it to the first exercise. He smiled as he remembered all the times as a child when his Aunt Petunia had cut his hair really short in an effort to prevent it from sticking up all over the place. Each time she had cut it, Harry had gone to bed only to wake up the next morning with his usual unruly mane of black hair. He hadn't consciously done anything, and it had always surprised him more than his Aunt. He re-read the exercise and closed his eyes to try to deliberately make his hair grow.

Neville had looked up as well when Hermione had propped her book open on the table. He then glanced over at Harry who was still reading before going back to his own book. He placed it on the table much like Hermione had done, and noticed that Harry's had joined Hermione's. He read over the exercise one final time before closing his eyes and trying to picture his own dark brown hair. He had always felt his hair was kind of non-descript. It wasn't a shaggy red like Ron's or an unruly mop of black like Harry's. He pushed those thoughts from his mind, it wouldn't do to try a comparison and turn his hair a different color instead of making it grow. He went back to focusing on his own plain brown hair.

Minerva studied each of her students carefully as they one by one set aside the book and closed their eyes. Although Miss Granger had finished reading first and begun her exercises first, she had yet to be successful in making her hair grow. Minerva watched carefully for several minutes but the girl's hair remained the same length, though it did appear even curlier than when they had started.

As she turned her attention to Harry, she expected to see that he too had not had any luck only to discover that his hair was longer almost like Sirius's. The length had seemed to flatten it out a bit as well.

"Very good, Mr. Potter, take a look," she ordered and transfigured his book into a mirror. Harry opened his eyes and picked up the mirror to look at his hair. He couldn't believe he had done it. Hermione and Neville both looked at Harry as well. Finally, Minerva looked at Neville. His usually short brown hair seemed to be almost black in color, but did not appear to be any longer.

"I would like for you all to keep practicing this exercise, and its counter, which is the second exercise, making your hair shorter," Minerva informed them. "Miss Granger, Mr. Longbottom, I would suggest that you both focus more on how long you want your hair to be rather than on how curly or what color. It is very easy to become distracted as you picture your hair and to get so caught up in trying to see your hair in your mind that you are not focusing on the length." Both Hermione and Neville nodded at her suggestion. She returned Harry's book to its natural state.

"Good, now in addition to practicing those two exercises, I want you all to keep reading that book. I will see you on Wednesday afternoon," she informed them before getting to her feet and going back up the stairs. Harry looked down at his watch wondering why the lesson was ending so soon only to realize that they had been there for over an hour.

"Well done, Harry," Hermione congratulated him on growing his hair. Harry stared at her for a moment her hair did seem to have even more curls.

"Thanks, I like yours," he replied and Hermione blushed.

"I didn't manage to do what I was supposed to though," she protested her face still flushed.

"You'll get it, you always do," Harry reassured her. "So will you Neville."

"Thanks, Harry. How did you manage it so quickly?"

"Actually, I've accidentally grown my hair out before especially after my aunt used to cut it really short hoping to make it stay flat," Harry explained to the other two. "I just never knew how I did it."

"Brilliant," Neville said wondering if he could use that trick. His Grans had always insisted that he keep his hair very short. Neville had always just done as she had told him.

"Shall we keep practicing?" Hermione asked always ready to study.

"Let's take a break," Harry suggested. "We've been practicing all day."

"How about a game of wizard's chess, Harry?" Neville asked.

"Sure," Harry answered and with that the trio grabbed their books and headed back upstairs where Hermione settled in to read while Harry and Neville set up the chess set. The two had just begun to play when the fireplace roared to life and two figures wrapped in long dark cloaks fell out of it.

* * * * * *

Author's Note: Thanks so much for all the reviews! I hope you continue to enjoy the story, please let me know what you like and what you don't like. I am now responding to all reviews to answer questions and let you know your feedback is greatly appreciated.