Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not by AJ Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not

AJ Potter

Chapter 34: First Day
September 2 - Hogwarts

Sunlight streamed into the sixth year Gryffindor boys dorm, and Harry, eyes bleary, groggily reached for his glasses before looking at his alarm clock on the nightstand. He groaned and rolled over as he realized he'd have to hurry to make it down to meet Hermione for breakfast. Most of Gryffindor had stayed up late discussing the break in to Gryffindor Tower. Older students recounted the time that Sirius Black had broken into the boy's dormitory and nearly attacked Ron. Only Harry, Ron, and Hermione knew that Sirius had really been after Ron's rat, but the story along with the recent destruction, scared the younger students and had many of the older students questioning the protections of Hogwarts. Hermione had finally insisted that everyone go to bed, and under the threat of her going to McGonagall, the students had grumpily stumbled up the stairs to their dormitories.

Sliding out from under his duvet, Harry warned the others that breakfast had already started before grabbing his stuff and heading to the bathroom for a quick shower. Ten minutes later as he passed back through the room to retrieve his school bag, he saw Neville and Ron heading towards the bathroom, while Dean and Seamus were still struggling to wake up enough to collect their things.

He saw Hermione as he came down the final stairs to the common room, sitting in her usual chair by the fire. He marveled at how the firelight played with her curly brown hair making it seem almost alive with color. She smiled when she saw him, and he felt his heart skip a beat.

"Are we waiting for Ron and Neville?" As she asked she glanced up at the stairs as if looking for their friends.

"They'll be awhile," Harry replied shaking his head and offering Hermione his arm. She slipped her arm in his, and the two walked out of the nearly deserted common room together. The Great Hall was packed and everyone was talking about what had happened to the Gryffindor common room, and speculating on who was at fault. Harry and Hermione found seats about a third of the way down the table. As Harry settled in to eat his bangers and mash, Neville took a seat next to him.

"Where's Ron?" Hermione questioned before taking a bite of her toast.

"He said he promised Luna he'd meet her for breakfast," Neville answered turning and nodding his head in the direction of Ravenclaw's table. Harry and Hermione both followed his gaze, and sure enough Ron was sitting next to Luna at the Ravenclaw table. Hermione smiled. She was pleased at the budding relationship of one of her best friends and the strange Ravenclaw girl.

"Well, the sorting hat did say that it was important that the houses join together," she reminded the others aloud.

"We do spend a lot of time being pitted against the other houses," Neville noted refilling his glass of pumpkin juice.

"It would be nice to see the houses' work together on something," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"I think that is a wonderful idea, Miss Granger," Professor McGonagall replied breaking into the Gryffindor's thoughts. "Come and see me after your classes today," she added handing Hermione and the others their schedules. Hermione's face flushed, "Yes, Professor McGonagall."

"Anyone else going to Care of Magical Creatures," Harry questioned after looking down at his schedule. For once he had a good day, Hagrid, then double Defense, with Transfiguration and Charms after lunch.

"Me," Neville said easily pushing away his half eaten plate. "I'm ready to leave."

"I have that, too," Hermione informed them finishing her pumpkin juice and grabbing her bag.

"Let's go then," Harry added and the three left the great hall and hurried outside to Hagrid's hut. Several other students were wandering that way as well, and Harry noticed that they represented all four of the houses, though only a couple of Slytherins had chosen to continue to take Care of Magical Creatures.

"Wait up," Ron called loping across the grass trying to catch up with his friends. He'd said goodbye to Luna as he watched his friends leave, and raced to catch up with them. Sitting at the Ravenclaw table was odd. No one really spoke to him or Luna other than a nervous first year who had asked for directions to her first class. Luna hadn't seemed to notice that anything was wrong, but Ron got the distinct impression that several of the other students hadn't liked him sitting at their table.

"Hey, Ron, thinking of asking to be resorted," Seamus joked as he passed.

Ron grumbled a, "no," as he fell into step with Harry, Hermione, and Neville.

"Don't worry, mate, the teasing will stop after awhile," Harry reassured him as they drew to a stop beside Hagrid's hut.

"I think it's great that you sat with Luna this morning," Hermione said with a smile. Ron turned pink. Meal times were one of the few times he could spend with Luna since they didn't have any classes together.

"Morn'en," Hagrid greeted smiling happily at the students standing before his hut. "Got a great surprise for ye today," he informed them. "Foller me," and with that auspicious start he lead them around the side of his hut and into the edges of the Forbidden Forest. A newly erected paddock encased a large area with a shed easily the size of one of Hagrid's rooms. Hagrid whistled low, and a moment later, the students felt the ground shake. Several backed away from the low fence quickly. A large gray animal, which reminded Harry of a rhinoceros he had seen on his one fateful trip to the zoo so many years ago, came out of the shadows of the shed.

"Now class, can anyone tell me what this is?" Hagrid questioned beaming proudly. Hermione's hand was the only one in the air. He nodded to her.

"It's an erumpent, professor. They are native to Africa, and are classified as dangerous. Their hide can repel most charms and hexes, and their horn can tear through nearly anything including metal, not to mention the fluid the horn secrets which causes whatever is injected with it to explode." Several more of the students backed up even further.

"Nana here's real friendly," Hagrid reassured them frowning slightly at the obvious fright of several of the students. "Take some time to observe her, I want a picture of her labeled with all her natural defenses, and 1 foot on the uses of erumpent horns, tails, and exploding fluid." Hermione and the others copied down the assignment. Hagrid approached them as they settled in to draw a picture of the immense beast during the rest of class.

"Isn' she a beaut?"

"Wonderful, Hagrid," Harry managed wondering how the half-giant had come across such a creature. Perhaps it was better if he didn't know.

"She's gonna have a foal soon, too," he revealed excitedly.

"Hagrid, how did you get permission from the Ministry to keep one here?" Hermione voiced curiously.

"Them, busybodies, they think everthin' interestin's dangerous," Hagrid sputtered and Hermione looked down grimly.

"Erumpent's are dangerous Hagrid," Hermione bit her lower lip in concern wondering if Hagrid would be able to prevent the erumpent from charging someone or even the castle itself.

"You have had some pretty dangerous pets in the past," Ron added thinking back to Aragog and Norbert.

"Nana's a good girl. She wouldna hurt a fly," Hagrid returned defending his new pet. "Besides, Dumbledore says its' alright." Assuming that cleared up the matter, the half-giant moved on to answer more questions about the erumpent from another group of nearby students. Neville who'd been working furiously, drawing and erasing his sketch of the erumpent while the others talked, looked up and noticed Harry's nearly completed picture.

"Nice drawing, Harry," Neville complimented examining Harry's more closely and then looking back at his own half-completed likeness.

"Thanks," Harry said looking down at the sketch in his hand. He liked drawing. He shared Hermione's concerns about Hagrid's idea of interesting animals, but all in all the class had been much tamer than usual. From a distance they heard the bell ring signaling the change of classes, and the four packed their stuff away to head back to the castle and a double Defense Against the Dark Arts class.

It took nearly a full ten minutes to make their way back to the castle and up to the fourth floor defense classroom. The room was packed with students, and the four found themselves forced to sit in the front of the classroom in some of the few remaining seats. Draco Malfoy smirked at them from his seat near the back by Blaise Zambini. Harry simply ignored him. Narcissa Malfoy made her way down the stairs from the defense professor's office just as the bell rang. Dressed meticulously well in dark blue robes, she made her way to the front of the classroom. Conversations quieted the moment she appeared and the students waited expectantly for class to begin.

"Good morning, I am Professor Black. I will not tolerate tardiness, foolishness, or lack of attention in my class." As she said this she looked out over the assembled students. Several squirmed in their seats, but most continued to look back at her. She flicked her wand and a chalkboard appeared at the front of the room with an outline written upon it.

"Copy this outline down as it informs you as to what we shall cover this term. I expect you to have read for class and to be prepared to answer questions about the readings. Any failure to adhere to my requirements will result in detention, extra assignments, and possible dismissal from my class." For awhile only the sound of quills scratching notes on parchment could be heard. Once the majority of the students had finished copying the syllabus from the board, she began to speak again.

"Today, we will begin with the topic of stealth. Will someone please suggest a spell that would aid in stealth?" Hermione raised her hand, as usual, but so did a few others. In a move that sent a surprised ripple through the class, she called on Hermione first.

"Obliteration," the Gryffindor replied pleased to provide an answer.

"Which does what?" Professor Black prodded impatiently.

"Obliterates any trace or tracks that a person might leave behind, so no one can follow you or discover you are there," Hermione added quickly.

"Mr. McMillian, name another spell to aid with stealth," she continued without commenting on Hermione's answer.

"Silencio," the Hufflepuff prefect replied thankful he could answer the question, "it can be used to silence yourself, someone, or something else, so you will not be heard."

"Mr. Zambini, your hand was raised as well," she moved to the back of the room where the Slytherin sat.

"The imperturbable, which creates a barrier around a room so that no one can eavesdrop on whatever is said in that room from outside of it," Blaise drawled almost as if he were bored.

"Interesting choice," she remarked turning back to the front of the room, "anyone else?"

"Confundus, to confuse the enemy and buy time," Dean Thomas suggested.

"That is a thought, but not likely a spell you'd use unless you were worried about being caught. Those are a nice start. What I'd like you to do for the remainder of class is search for at least ten more spells to use to aid in stealth, think of your other classes as well, such as charms, transfiguration, and potions. You may work in groups, but your papers must be yours individually. I want 2 feet on the top ten stealth spells, as determined by each of you. Discuss the incantation, where it originated, and describe the effects of the spell. This will be due the next time we meet. You may begin."

Small groups formed as the students started discussing different spells to aid in stealth. Hermione pulled several books from her bag and handed them to her fellow Gryffindors. Harry looked down at the potions book in his hands. Neville waved her off and pulled out his herbology book.

"I think there are some plants that can help with invisibility and other traits that can aid in stealth," he informed her flipping through his book. Ron took Hermione's charms text reluctantly and set about searching through it and making notes. Hermione focused on transfiguration. When the bell finally rang, they gathered their belongings together and agreed to meet in the common room after dinner to exchange notes on what they found and look through the defense textbook.

"That wasn't so bad," Neville commented as the four made their way to the Great Hall for lunch.

"She also gave us time in class to start our homework," Hermione added thinking that all in all the class went well.

"Yeah, but she gave us homework," Ron moaned.

"But she didn't take any points off from Gryffindor," Harry stated almost as an afterthought.

"True," Ron had to acknowledge putting his book bag down on the floor as he sat down for lunch. "I'm starving." The others laughed as they joined him.

Author's Note: Sorry about the long delay. I've been working multiple jobs to try to pay the bills, and it's left no time for writing or fun. Things are looking up though, so hopefully, you'll see another update soon (like in a week). Hope you like it, and please review to let me know! Thanks!