Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not by AJ Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not

AJ Potter

Chapter 12: Tonks Takes Charge
July
6 - 11:23pm - Grimmauld Place

Tonks, Neville, and Hermione watched in shock as Dudley left the room. No one moved to stop him. Then, as one the three surrounded Harry, who was still sitting up in his bed, his head down so they couldn't see his face. Tonks clamped a hand on his shoulder.

"He's hurting and looking for someone to blame, Harry." Harry heard Tonks' words but didn't raise his head. Dudley's words kept echoing in his mind. Hermione knew Harry had already been blaming himself. He didn't need to hear someone else blame him for something that really wasn't his fault. It was obvious to her that Dudley really didn't know anything at all about his cousin. Despite how his aunt and uncle had treated him over the years, he would never have wished for them to be killed.

"He doesn't know you, Harry. I know you're blaming yourself for all this, you always do, but it's not your fault. Dudley knows that, he's just hurting and wanting to hurt someone else. You cannot listen to him on this. That's what Voldemort would want," Hermione added seeking out one of Harry's hands and entwining her fingers with his. Harry looked at their entwined fingers. He didn't understand how Hermione could stand by him like this, but he squeezed her hand as if holding on to a lifeline. No matter what, she was always there for him. Not to be outdone, Neville spoke up as well.

"I've known you for five years, Harry, and in all that time you have always done your best to protect people. I know for a fact that if something happened right now, you'd do your best to protect all of us, including your cousin despite what he just said. You would never want anyone to be hurt or killed, not even to save your own life. I know that, and so should you," Neville stated with conviction. Harry finally looked up at the others. He was amazed at their words and knew these three would stand by him through anything. He couldn't imagine any of them being hurt or killed because of him.

"You are not the reason your aunt and uncle died, Harry. You're not responsible for saving everyone. We're your friends, and we certainly aren't going to allow you to push us away like you tried to do last year. Put the blame on Voldemort where it belongs," Hermione insisted as if reading the thoughts in his head. He marveled again at how well she knew him.


"Thanks," he finally managed tears shining in his emerald green eyes. He honestly didn't know what to say to them. It hurt that Dudley believed that of him, but he realized that Dudley knew very little about him really. He desperately tried to push aside his guilt at the deaths of his aunt and uncle. He did blame himself. Death eaters never would have attacked them if they weren't his aunt and uncle.

Tonks removed her hand after a final squeeze. She stepped back and then addressed the trio as a whole.

"If any of you need to talk about anything that's happened here tonight or over the past few days, you can come to me anytime. I'm going to be staying here when I'm not at work." Each nodded at her in turn. "Good, now, if I may, could I speak to you in the hall for a moment, Hermione?"

Hermione hesitated. She didn't really want to release Harry's hand and leave him after what had just happened. What if Tonks made her go back to her own room? Noticing her hesitation, Tonks reassured her.

"You can come back here when I'm done. I'm not going to say anything to Molly or Remus about the sleeping arrangements this evening, but I would caution you against making a habit out of this." Hermione nodded in acquiescence before releasing Harry's hand slowly and following her out of the room. Neville sat down on the end of Harry's bed to await her return. The two lapsed into a quiet conversation.

Tonks had stopped just outside the door. Hermione joined her anxious to hear why the older woman had called her out into the hallway.

"Don't worry your not in trouble," Tonks said smiling at Hermione as she closed the door. "I also didn't call you out here to lecture you." Hermione sighed in relief.

"I know that you and Harry have become closer since last night and it seems to be good for both of you. I'm glad you've been able to be there for each other. You'll both need that because things are going to get worse," Tonks began watching the young woman carefully.

"What do you mean, Tonks?" Hermione questioned dreading what the other woman might say.

"Voldemort, he's going to keep coming after all of you. Am I wrong in thinking that you love Harry?"

"No, you're not wrong. I do love him," Hermione spoke quietly.

"Good cause its pretty obvious how he feels about you. Now about your sleeping arrangements," Tonks began and Hermione tensed ready to defend her decision to stay with Harry. Tonks smiled then said "Relax, I'm not going to lecture you. I want you to know that I understand why you and Harry wanted to stay together and frankly it has made the circles under both your eyes and his fade considerably."

Hermione didn't know what to say. She had not expected Tonks to understand let alone approve of she and Harry sharing a bed even if it was just to sleep.

"I'm happy that the two of you have managed to find some comfort in each other. I just wanted to let you know that if you need a woman to talk to about anything, I'm here for you. Not just about what's happened, but about concerns you have, birth control when that becomes an issue, and anything else, really." Hermione blushed when Tonks mentioned birth control. Everything with Harry was still so new she hadn't even thought that far yet. All they'd done was kiss. But she had to admit, she did like curling up next to him and falling asleep. She had loved him for some time and of course she was curious about his body. She bit her lower lip.

"You don't have to say anything now. I know that things are still really new, and perhaps I'm jumping ahead a little on some things," Tonks grinned and Hermione couldn't help but smile as well. "Just consider me another resource on relationships, alright?"

"Thanks, Tonks, I will," Hermione assured her appreciating her understanding.

"Good, now you had better get back to bed young lady I suspect there's a young man in there who could use some more reassurance," Tonks ordered before giggling and ruining the effect of appearing strict. Hermione threw her arms around the older woman and hugged her tightly.

"Thanks, for everything, Tonks," Hermione said softly before releasing her and disappearing through the door. Tonks sighed and debated heading towards Dudley Dursley's room. She was exhausted as she'd just gotten home from her last shift. She really wasn't sure how well he'd listen to her. She thought about it for a moment and then decided to speak to Bill Weasley about it in the morning. She had a feeling that Dudley might open up to the elder Weasley better than he would to her. She dragged her tired self off to her own bedroom on the next floor, satisfied with the way she had handled things tonight. She knew Molly Weasley would likely disagree and perhaps even Remus would, but she agreed with Moody that Harry, Hermione, and Neville had earned the right to be dealt with as adults.

* * * * * * * * * *

July 7 - 5:45am - Grimmauld Place

A watch alarm sounded and Tonks turned it off almost immediately. 'This is way too early to be getting up,' she thought tempted to stay under the covers rather than flooing Moody and then talking to Bill about Dudley Dursley. Unfortunately, she knew that Moody would show up early this morning and Bill would leave for work well before 7:00am. She pushed herself into a sitting position then slowly stood. Ten minutes later she had showered and dressed ready to go in search of coffee.

Gathered around the kitchen table in Grimmauld sat Moody, Arthur, Bill, and Molly Weasley. A house elf kept shooing Molly away from the stove as he prepared breakfast for the assembled adults. Tonks grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down across from Moody.

"Morning, kid," Moody greeted her. Tonks sipped her coffee for a moment before answering.

"Good morning."

"Kingsley can't make it so I'm going to ask Charlie if he'll serve as the third member of our team to test Potter, Granger and Longbottom," Moody said taking a sip from his hip flask.

"I meant to talk to you about that," Tonks stated running a hand through her short pink hair. "When I came in last night I had to settle a problem between Harry and his cousin. His cousin attacked him giving Harry a broken nose and what I'm sure would have been an excellent shiner this morning. I fixed the broken nose. Neville petrified Dudley who confirmed that he attacked Harry based on what happened to his parents. I sent Dudley off to his room, but I'm sure the boys could use the extra sleep."

"Maybe I should go check on him?" Molly said quietly.

"Have Pomfrey take a look at him after he comes downstairs. My guess is he had a hard time falling back to sleep after what Dudley said to him." Molly nodded her understanding accepting that Tonks's suggestion had a lot of merit. Tonks then turned to the eldest Weasley child. "Bill, I was hoping that perhaps you could speak to Dudley. He already dislikes me because he associates me with sticking up for Harry, but you would be a new face for him." Bill considered what she had said.

"Won't he associate me with Fred and George? Even I've heard about the ton-tongue toffee incident several years ago," Bill countered unsure if he could get through to the large sullen young man he had seen that first night at Grimmauld.

"There are some similarities, but honestly, I'm not sure who would be best to reach him. I think we have perhaps all underestimated what it has been like for Harry over the summer at his aunt and uncle's. Harry and his cousin are only months apart in age, but couldn't be more different. More importantly, it would seem that Dudley has been raised to consider his cousin a freak and punching bag on which to vent his frustration." Tonks looked at the other assembled adults at the table. "If any of you have a better suggestion, I am all for it, but someone needs to talk to him."

"I'll try, Tonks. I don't know that I will have time before work this morning because I have some things I need to do before I officially arrive at work. I will talk to him today though," Bill promised as Dobby began setting platters on food on the table.

Tonks grabbed some pancakes and pieces of bacon along with some fresh fruit. The others dug in as well. Moody watched the lot of them filling their plates for a moment then interrupted the silence that had descended over the breakfast table.

"I'll take care of some other errands and be back here in two hours. Talk to Charlie and convince him to help us out with this. I want to test their skills and how well they respond under attack then we'll figure out a training regime to build on their strengths and get rid of any weaknesses." Moody ordered Tonks as she chewed on a piece of bacon. She nodded her agreement and Moody rose from the table and stalked from the room. Tonks was pleased with her mornings work and settled in to enjoy her breakfast and the rest of her morning coffee.

* * * * *

July 7 - 6:34am - Grimmauld Place

Harry slowly opened his eyes. Familiar brown curls obscured most of his vision although the room was lit with early morning sunlight. Dudley's words had cut close to home.

Despite Hermione's and everyone else's reassurances, part of him still blamed himself for his aunt and uncle's deaths. Voldemort would not have sent death eaters to Privet Drive if he had not wanted to hurt and kill Harry.

Worse, he didn't know how to deal with his cousin. They had never been close as Dudley had always preferred to use him as a punching bag. Once Harry discovered he was a wizard, Dudley had bullied him less, but the taunting about being a freak began with a vengeance.

Harry ran a hand through his messy black hair. Sighing he decided to worry about Dudley later and instead shifted slightly to get a better look at the young woman curled against him. He could definitely get used to waking up with Hermione as he felt better just being near her. And he was truly amazed at how much a Hogwarts robe could conceal and found himself wanting to explore all those soft feminine curves.

It was hard to believe that he was thinking about his best friend in this way. When he thought he'd lost her that night, he'd realized that he loved her. After spending the last few weeks telling himself of course he loved her, she was one of his best friends, he'd realized the truth as he held her in the kitchen at Grimmauld. He could no longer deny that his feelings for her were just that of a friend. Knowing that she loved him gave him strentgh, a reason to fight and not give in to the depression that plagued him.

Harry brushed some hair back from Hermione's face and a genuine smile lit his face when she sighed and snuggled closer to him. He watched her sleeping marveling at the face that was so familiar and yet so new to him. Leaning close, he brushed a kiss across her forehead almost in her hair. He lifted his hand slowly and stroked her hair enjoying its softness, as he let his fingers play with the curls. He felt her shift again and his hand stilled. This time when she moved, he froze. He had not intended to wake her.

Hermione debated whether or not to open her eyes. She had almost opened them when he kissed her forehead. She liked the way his fingers felt as he played with her hair. She breathed in the scent of him. Then let her hand move across his chest hugging him closer before opening her eyes and tilting her head to look into his eyes.

"Good morning," Hermione whispered almost shyly.

"Good morning," Harry replied then claimed her lips in a kiss. Hermione wasn't sure how long they stayed like that kissing, but she did know it was the most wonderful feeling she'd ever felt. A little breathless the two pulled apart.

"As much as I don't want to leave, I should probably go to my room before someone other than Tonks discovers that I stayed here last night," Hermione stated reluctantly.

"I'll meet you downstairs for breakfast," Harry reassured her. "May be Ron will be awake."

"Let's stop by to see him before breakfast," Hermione suggested feeling a bit guilty that she hadn't spent more time with Ron.

"Alright," Harry replied before kissing her again. When they separated this time both were breathing heavily. Hermione slipped from under the covers.

"Take my invisibility cloak just in case," Harry called quietly. Hermione grabbed the cloak from his trunk and threw it around herself. A moment later the door opened and closed and Harry climbed out of bed. He retrieved some clothes from his trunk and headed to the bathroom to shower and change.

Twenty minutes later he came back into his room to find Neville digging through his own trunk for clothes.

"Good morning, Neville," Harry greeted.

"Good morning, Harry," Neville replied. "What happened to Professor Moody?" At Neville's comment, Harry realized that Moody had not shown up and attacked them first thing this morning.

"I don't know. Maybe it was too obvious to think he'd attack us this morning," Harry mused. "I'm supposed to meet Hermione downstairs to check on Ron before breakfast. We should probably all three stick together today until he arrives just in case."

"Okay, I'll be down as soon as I'm ready," Neville stated. Grabbing his stuff and heading for the bathroom. Harry made one last attempt to tame his hair before giving up and heading downstairs to check on Ron and meet Hermione.

* * * * * * * * * *

I hope you like the fall out from the previous chapter. Please review and let me know! Thanks!