Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not by AJ Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not

AJ Potter

Chapter 8: After Shocks
July
6 - 6:00am - Grimmauld Place

A motley crew in various states of tiredness gathered around the kitchen table at Number 12 Grimmauld Place. Albus Dumbledore looked around the table before speaking.

"Thank you all for coming. I have managed to compile all the reports on losses and damages from last evening's attacks. We have lost Mendelous and Jane Granger, Violet Dunn who was on guard duty at the Granger's, Eleanor Longbottom, Vernon and Petunia Dursley, and Dedalus Diggle who was on guard duty at the Dursleys. Severus Snape awakened earlier this morning. He has returned to Hogwarts. Mr. Weasley has yet to awaken, but Poppy assures me that he is doing better this morning and that she expects a full recovery. The Granger home has sustained some serious damage, but is reparable. The Dursleys home has collapsed due to the serious structural damage it endured. Longbottom Manor sustained damage similar to that of the Granger home and can be fixed. Stoats Head Hall's two damaged rooms are already partially repaired. The Burrow has been leveled."

He stopped for a moment to allow everyone to grasp the severity of the damage. "It seems obvious that Voldemort underestimated the young people who went to the Department of Mysteries. I have been informed that Mr. Potter, Mr. Longbottom, Miss Granger, Miss Weasley, and Miss Lovegood all acted with tremendous courage and even took out some death eaters on their own in some cases. In fact, I have received a recommendation to induct both Mr. Potter and Miss Granger into the Order. I have heard similar arguments for adding Neville Longbottom's name to that list."

"You cannot be serious, Albus, they still have two years of schooling left," Minerva McGonagall objected.

"They are children, Dumbledore. And they have all just lost their guardians, why should we force them into adulthood any faster?" Amelia Bones remarked curious as to his response. She knew Albus Dumbledore well enough to know that he would not have mentioned adding them to the Order if he felt they were too young or incapable.

"Those children as most of you insist on calling them are already in danger. Voldemort attacked them. More importantly, they all stood up to it and managed to take out some of the death eaters before Order members could arrive to help." Alastor Moody spoke up defending his reasons for speaking to Dumbledore about inducting the young people.

"They will all have to be trained, of course, but as Alastor has mentioned. These are intelligent young people who have taken it upon themselves until now to train to defend themselves. From what I can gather, the three of them were three of the best students in the defense club which Mr. Potter taught with the help of Miss Granger. None of them are your average student."

"What of Miss Weasley and Miss Lovegood then?" Hestia Jones questioned. "Aren't they even younger than the others?"

"We had thought to hold off on inducting them, in part because they are younger, however, they will also need to undergo training along with Mr. Weasley once he has recovered. We can discuss inducting them at another date, as I have a feeling Molly Weasley will want a say in two of those inductions," Dumbledore pointed out to the concerned group. No one blamed Dumbledore for wanting to delay that conversation with Molly Weasley, and many looked around the table to see if she was there. Much to everyone's relief, she was not in attendance.

"What of the fact that Potter, Granger, and Longbottom all used magic even though they are underage. It appeared on our screens at the Ministry, though obviously none of the letters reprimanding them have been delivered because it is as if the trio has disappeared. With Mr. Potter's record he may very likely be facing expulsion," Amelia Bones informed the group.

"They used spells to defend themselves, Amelia, surely the Ministry does not intend to punish them for that?" Dumbledore remarked surprised that the Ministry would even consider it.

"Fudge has acknowledged that Voldemort has returned, but he is still quite upset with Mr. Potter, Albus. I would certainly not press charges based on the circumstances, but Fudge may try to use the opportunity to get back at Mr. Potter, and he outranks me," Amelia explained to the group who now looked upon her with disfavor.

"Does Fudge have the backing to take on Harry?" Arthur Weasley interjected. "After all for most of the wizarding world he is "the-boy-who-lived" and many still expect that he will play a part in Voldemort's downfall. And now the wizarding world knows that Harry was telling the truth about Voldemort all along. I'd wager that Harry's support could make or break who serves as Minister of Magic, especially if Dumbledore threw his considerable reputation behind Harry."

"Fudge has lost much credibility when it became known that he suppressed knowledge about Voldemort's return. It's only been a matter of weeks since everyone found out that Potter was telling the truth all along," Hestia Jones remarked, "I certainly see your point though, Arthur. Harry has an incredible influence with the average witch or wizard, should he choose to wield it."

"What about moving to remove Fudge from office, then?" Bill Weasley suggested. "If what everyone says is true, shouldn't we push for a more competent Minister anyway?"

"I've heard rumors about that," Charlie Weasley added. "Lots of people are disappointed with Fudge, and blaming him for Voldemort's return."

"It is possible, but it can take time, and it may not save any of them from punishment which is the more pressing matter at the moment." Dumbledore reasoned. "Amelia, would it be possible to either push through a change in the law based on the times, or to argue for special permission for the three of them to do magic outside of school?"

"You'd have better luck with the special dispensations, but you'd still have to get the Minister to sign them which presents us with the same problem. Perhaps you or someone else should suggest a vote of confidence in the Wizengamot, and then push through an abbreviated election process." The others seemed to ponder this suggestion.

"Fine, get things moving on the political front, but for now, I suggest that Potter, Granger, and Longbottom remain unavailable until we can get this sorted out." Alastor finished before bringing the group back around to the earlier point in which he held more interest, "Now, what of their induction into the Order?"

"Give us some time to consider this, Alastor," Pomona Sprout requested. "I think that all of them are fine students, but I should like to know more before I make a decision."

"Fair enough," Dumbledore stated. "For now our focus on their training and getting them cleared of any potential charges arising from yesterday's incidents. I also agree that we should each use our influence to encourage the Wizengamot to consider Fudge's suspension and the appointment or election of a new minister. This meeting is adjourned." People scrambled to their feet and began heading for work or home.

Remus, who had remained quiet throughout the meeting, approached Dumbledore after most of the others had gone.

"Dumbledore, who will serve as their guardians?" The issue weighed on his mind, as he felt a duty to oversee Harry's well-being, but was also well aware of wizarding laws discriminatory treatment towards half-breeds such as himself.

"I do not know the terms of the wills yet to tell who their guardians will be. For now, they will all stay here and once we find out we will work from there. I also have someone checking on the Dursley's provisions in regards to young Mr. Dursley."

Remus nodded his understanding.

"Since Sirius was never convicted by a trial I was contacted only yesterday that the goblins intend to honor his will. Apparently, the Ministry protested but wizarding law is clear on this. No trial, no invalidation of the prisoner's will. Hopefully, the other wills will not spark any controversies. Now if you'll excuse me I have an appointment at the Ministry. Please inform Harry, Miss Granger, and Mr. Longbottom that I wish to speak with them later today."

"Alright," Remus agreed just before Dumbeldore disappeared in a burst of flames. The only ones left in the room were Tonks, the Weasleys minus Molly, Ron, and Ginny, and Remus.

"Breakfast, anyone?" Remus questioned moving to the ice box and grabbing eggs, bacon, and other various items to make breakfast in an attempt to lighten the mood. Sometimes you just needed to stay busy to keep from thinking too much, and this was definitely one of those times. He had thought that after losing Sirius things couldn't get any worse, seeing the nearly collapsed house at Privet Drive had proven how wrong he was. 'Best not to think of that,' he thought as he set to work.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hermione awoke slowly. She felt sore, and realized that with everything that had happened she had completely forgotten about her medication. She raised her head cautiously and found that Harry's eyes were still closed, his glasses still on, but slightly askew.

Sunlight was streaming through the window and the fire had long since gone out. It was the first time she'd slept through the night since leaving the hospital wing at Hogwarts. She laid her head back down against Harry's chest and closed her eyes. It felt strange to be waking up with him, but although she felt a little shy, she wasn't embarrassed.

She still couldn't believe her parents were gone. And, Ron, they'd have to go check on Ron. She could feel tears returning to her eyes.

"Hermione?" Harry's voice was almost a whisper. "I'm here for you, Hermione." His arms tightened around her. Hermione groaned at first as her body protested slightly, but she wasn't about to ask him to loosen his hold.

Instead, she hugged him tighter as well, her tears falling freely. After several minutes, she managed to regain some control.
"Harry?"

"Yes, Hermione."

"We have to take him down, Harry." As she said this she looked up at him her eyes wet with tears. He stared into her cinnamon brown eyes, the fierceness and determination was almost scary. Voldemort had gone too far this time and had chosen the wrong witch to cross. Harry felt a surge of hope.

Everyone agreed that Hermione was the smartest witch of their age, if anyone could figure out a way to defeat Voldemort he had no doubt that she could. With Hermione on his side he felt a lot better about his chances of defeating Voldemort. He knew it wouldn't be easy, but he felt better just knowing that he wasn't alone anymore. In sharing his burden with her, it felt lighter, more manageable.

"We will, Hermione, we will." With a final hug the two kissed softly to seal their deal before getting to their feet. Hermione moved slowly but couldn't hold back a wince as her muscles protested at her movements.

"Are you alright?" Harry questioned eyeing her carefully.

"Just a little sore, I'll be fine in a little while. I haven't fallen asleep on a sofa in awhile." Hermione answered not wanting to reveal to Harry that she was still taking the potions to counter Dolohov's curse. She had told everyone that she was completely cured when she left the hospital wing not wanting them to worry about her. 'And really,' she argued with herself, 'there was no reason to worry, especially not now.'

Harry accepted her answer. He hoped she hadn't minded falling asleep with him on the sofa. It wasn't as comfortable as sleeping in a bed, but getting to hold her had been worth it. And surprisingly, it was the first time he'd slept through the night in weeks.

"Let's check on Ron first," Harry suggested curious as to how his friend was doing this morning. Hermione nodded her ascent and the two went back to Madam Pomfrey's make-shift hospital. Luna was sitting in a chair by Ron's bed. Snape was gone and Madam Pomfrey was nowhere to be seen.

"How is he?" Hermione questioned as the two approached Ron's bed their clothes rumpled from sleep. Luna looked up as the two entered.

"He's better but he still hasn't woken up yet," Luna informed them. "Madam Pomfrey is taking a nap. She expects he'll wake up sometime today or tomorrow."

"Have you been here all night?" Harry questioned concern clearly evident in his voice.

"No, I took over for Mrs. Weasley around 7:30. I couldn't sleep so I came down early and Mr. Weasley insisted she go rest some more before he left for work. Remus made breakfast if you're hungry."

"Would you like us to take over when we're finished?" Hermione questioned.

"Oh, no, that's fine. I like helping Madam Pomfrey and I've been reading articles from "The Quibbler" to Ronald. I'm sure he'll wake when I've reached one he finds particularly interesting."

"Umm, ok," Hermione didn't quite know what to say based on her last comment, but to be fair, Luna had appeared much less strange since she'd seen her yesterday then she usually did.

"I have some spare clothing that might fit you, Hermione, if you'd like to clean up a little. I shared with Ginny and Gretchen earlier. No one has had time to fetch things from our homes yet," Luna offered.

"Are you sure?" Hermione was surprised at Luna's offer, after all the two hadn't gotten along very well. Mostly because she thought Luna was nuts and did her best to ignore her.

"Of course, as long as Harry doesn't mind watching Ronald while we're gone. I think someone should stay with him in case he wakes up and wants to know what happened."

"Its fine, go ahead," Harry said before adding, "Does Neville need any clothing?"

"He may. I haven't seen him yet this morning," with that Luna placed her copy of "The Quibbler" on her chair and crossed the room to head upstairs. Hermione followed closely behind her. The idea of a nice hot shower and clean clothes was too good to resist.

"Thank you, Luna, I really appreciate this," Hermione said as the two went upstairs.

"It's ok, I keep a bag packed for emergencies," Luna explained as the two made their way into the third bedroom on the left. "There's not much of a selection left, but at least all four of us are roughly similar sizes and can have something clean to wear. I'm sure Molly or Remus could spell it to fit better if you ask them to."

Hermione grabbed a dark blue shirt and matching silver and blue skirt. As she made her way to the bathroom to shower and change, Luna left to go back downstairs.

"Out of the way, freak," a voice called from behind her before knocking her into the wall. Dudley Dursley sped past her and down the stairs. Breakfast smelled delicious and he was hungry. Luna rubbed her arm where it had bumped the wall and proceeded down the stairs more slowly.

Dudley didn't give her a second thought. He couldn't believe they'd brought him to this freak show house. The pictures moved and there were weird creature's heads lining the staircase walls. The only plus side he'd seen so far was the food. He hurried into the kitchen and heaped food onto his plate, ignoring Ginny, Gretchen, and Remus who were sitting at the table.

"The food isn't going to disappear you know," Remus commented. Dudley ignored him and continued to inhale as much food as possible. He tuned them out and instead focused on the comfort that eating always brought him. After the events of the night before, all he wanted to do was eat. He didn't want to think or anything else. Part of him still hoped it was a nightmare and he'd wake up soon. Until then, he ate.

Luna entered the hospital room as Dudley was shoveling food into his mouth in the kitchen. Harry had taken over her seat and was reading aloud to Ron from "The Quibbler."

"I guess we haven't found the right article, yet," Luna said wistfully as she came to stand beside Harry next to Ron's bed. Harry looked up at her from what he was reading.

"I hope your right, Luna, and he wakes up soon," Harry replied closing the magazine.

"Your cousin is awfully rude, Harry. He doesn't seem anything like you," she remarked out of the blue.

"Did he do anything to you?" Harry asked concerned. Dudley had a reputation for beating up anyone smaller than him which based on his size was nearly everybody.

"He shoved past me and knocked me into the wall. I hit my arm, but it's okay. I suppose he was headed for breakfast. He didn't even apologize. I can't imagine you doing that unless you were on your way to some emergency," Luna explained what had happened and her observation.

"I'm sorry, Luna. Dudley's not really known for being nice. In fact, he spends most of his time eating and beating people up," Harry informed her. Luna nodded her understanding.

"You should go get cleaned up and get some breakfast," Luna suggested. Harry handed her the closed magazine and headed upstairs to shower and change. He'd have to talk to Remus about Dudley and what they were going to do about him. With his dislike for all things magical and tendency to beat people up, Harry figured it was a problem he would have to address soon before someone else decided to deal with Dudley.

* * * * * * * * *

Thanks for all the reviews! I really like hearing your thoughts, so please review.