Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not by AJ Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not

AJ Potter

Chapter 26 - OWL Results
July 26 -
7:36pm - Grimmauld Place

Ginny Weasley wandered around Grimmauld Place feeling completely out of the loop. At least when Gretchen was around she had someone to talk to. She barely saw Hermione anymore with all her classes and Order activities. Not to mention all the time she spent with Harry. In some ways she wasn't sure how to deal with Hermione now that she knew the other girl was with Harry, the one boy she'd dreamed about being with for as long as she could remember.

She still wrote to Dean, but things were not going nearly as well since they never got to see each other. Dean's family had been attacked as well, and he was staying with Seamus in Ireland. Headquarters appeared to be deserted until she stumbled across Neville reading a book in one of the downstairs living rooms. She was a little surprised to find him since he always seemed to be disappearing anymore, just like Harry, Hermione, and Luna.

"Hello, Neville," she greeted smiling. Neville looked up at her greeting, and smiled in return.

"Hello, Ginny."

"Am I interrupting?" She questioned hoping that he'd say no. She really didn't want to go back to her room and study.

"No, you're fine," Neville replied closing his book and setting it on the end table to his right. He always got nervous talking to girls, and now, Gretchen wasn't here to make it easier. He thought of Gretchen as a sort of little sister, and that had made it easier to talk to Ginny.

"What were you reading?" Ginny asked curious as she sat down in a chair across from him. Neville glanced over at his book, and then back to Ginny.

"It's the latest book on healing plants. Luna picked it up for me yesterday from Flourish and Blots," Neville replied feeling more comfortable.

"So Luna's been going to Diagon Alley?" Ginny fired back looking interested. Neville realized his mistake and flushed.

"Just briefly," he managed trying to cover for his mistake. 'Get a hold of your self,' he reminded himself silently. Ginny pouted prettily. She was generally very good at ferreting out information.

"I really don't see the big deal. I think Luna's telling Ron stuff. You can trust me, Neville," she urged hoping he'd tell her about what was going on lately. Her mom had really cracked down on the extendable ears and it was nearly impossible to overhear anything anymore.

"Ginny, you know I can't tell you. You're not a member, and it's for your own safety," Neville insisted. She sighed and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Fine, keep your secrets. I'll find out eventually," she assured him.

"There's a war going on, Ginny, and nearly everyone in your family is heavily involved. You should enjoy the time you have right now to just worry about school and stuff. What the Order does isn't for fun and it's not a game," Neville said in his most serious tone. He really didn't like the idea of something bad happening to the youngest Weasley.

"I'm not a child," Ginny retorted her anger rising. "I could be helping."

"Help by staying safe," Neville replied simply. "You saw what Ron's injuries did to your mother, to your family. If they know your safe they can focus on their own work."

"No one's really safe. They brought the Burrow down around Ron and me. Keeping me in the dark doesn't make me safer," Ginny returned her anger growing. She couldn't believe that Neville was actually supporting the adult's decision to keep her uninformed and out of things. Neville sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He hadn't cut it in a while and it was longer than usual, and his hand only made it messier. Ginny found herself thinking it looked rather dashing, then remembered that this was Neville and she was mad at Neville.

"You're learning to defend yourself. If you hear or see anything important, pass it on to an Order member, and don't try to be a hero," Neville said suddenly tired. He picked up his book from the side table and stood. "I'm going to my room. Have a nice evening."

Ginny watched him walk away wondering where she'd gone wrong. She had wanted someone to talk to, perhaps play a game of wizard's chess or exploding snap. She had not intended to be lectured to by Neville Longbottom no less. She jumped up from her chair and ran up the stairs to her room slamming the door behind her, but the sound of the door slamming didn't make her feel any better.

* * * * *

July 27 - 4:55am - Grimmauld Place

Harry awoke to the sound of owls tapping at his window. He groaned softly not ready to get out of bed yet. He looked at the alarm clock by his bed and realized that he'd have to get up soon anyway to make it to his morning lesson with Moody. He slid out of the bed as quietly as he could so as not to disturb Hermione. She stayed with him more often than not, and so far, no one had discovered them. He liked having her beside him.

He opened the window and the owls swooped in and settled on the bureau. He untied the letters from both and offered both owls some water and treats that he kept for Hedwig. They accepted before flying off again. As Harry closed the window, the alarm clock went off and Hermione sat up in the bed. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and smiled tentatively when she saw Harry by the window. Her hair was a disaster but he thought she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. He retrieved the letters and hopped back onto the bed with her. He handed her the envelope with her name on it, knowing it must be their OWL results.

Hermione could only stare at the letter that Harry handed her. Harry watched her as she examined the envelope carefully. She handed it back to him.

"I can't open it, will you?"

"Sure and you can open mine," Harry replied handing her his own envelope.

"Alright," she answered tearing into his envelope. Harry did the same to hers.

"All O's as if there was any doubt," Harry said after skimming the letter quickly.

"Really?" Hermione questioned distracted.

"Yes, so am I still taking potions with you?" Harry questioned nervous about his own results. Hermione glanced back down at his results.

"Yes, though you won't be taking History of Magic or Divination. You scrapped an "A" in Astronomy. You got an O in Defense, Potions, and Charms, and an E in everything else," Hermione informed him as she handed him his letter. Harry looked at it in surprise. He really had passed potions. He could be an auror. Hermione took his from his hands and looked it over as well. She'd been so nervous about her ancient runes and astronomy exams. Her mind flashed to her parents and tears sprang to her eyes. They would be so proud of her.

"Hermione, what's wrong?" Harry asked when he noticed her tears.

"My parents…" Hermione whispered dropping the letter onto the bed.

"I'm sure they know, Hermione. They'd be really proud of you," Harry reassured her putting an arm around her.

"They would be proud. I told them about the grading system for OWL's, and the importance of them. I just wish I could share it with them," Hermione tried to explain. It was times like these that she missed her parents the most. They didn't always understand things about her school, but they understood grades. It was another painful reminder of their loss. A knock sounded at their door interrupting her thoughts.

"Harry, we need to meet Moody downstairs in ten minutes," Neville called through the closed door.

"I'll meet you down there as soon as I can," Harry answered speaking loudly so the other boy could hear
him.

"Bring Hermione if you see her," Neville replied before heading back downstairs. He knew that Hermione was most likely with Harry, but just in case anyone overheard him, it was easier just to add that last part. Eight minutes later, Harry and Hermione met him in the basement where Moody liked to have their sessions.

"How did you do on you're OWL's," Harry asked him catching his breathe while they waited for Moody to
appear.

"Good, I got an O in defense and herbology," Neville replied proudly. He'd been pleasantly surprised by his OWL scores, but he'd spent a lot of time studying. He'd even managed an E in potions which had amazed even him. Luckily Professor Snape had not administered the exam or Neville suspected he would have gotten a T.

"That's great, Neville," Harry and Hermione congratulated him together just before Moody appeared in the doorway.

"Let's get started," he ordered and the three settled in to work.

* * * * *
July 27 - 7:00am - Grimmauld Place

Luna returned to her room from the bathroom just down the hall. She was dressed in a simple dark blue dress with silver trim. She'd tied her hair back into a long ponytail so that it would stay out of her way as she helped Madam Pomfrey this morning. She had lessons with Madam Pomfrey on most mornings. Sometimes these sessions would also involve some experimental brewing for healing potions. Yesterday, Professor Snape had even deigned to join them and Luna found that working with the brilliant potions master was quite a treat. She had always done well in Potions and so did not have the same level of ill feeling towards the surly professor as most of the students seemed to. Although, even Luna had to admit that the professor made it very hard for students to actually like him. She hoped that he would return again today, and that they could delve into some even more complicated healing potions and charms. She was so lost in thought that it took several moments for her to notice the tawny colored owl pecking on her bedroom window. She let it in and untied her letter from its leg. She conjured an owl treat for the bird before sending it on its way. As she looked at the letter, she realized that it was her Hogwarts letter. She opened it and a small badge fell out onto the floor. She retrieved it and stared at the prefects badge in awe and confusion. After several moments of staring at the badge she placed it on the nightstand and looked over her letter. She placed it beside the badge and then left the room. She didn't want to be late for her lesson.

* * * * *

July 27 - 8:10am - Grimmauld Place

"Ruddy bird," Ron groaned finally giving in to the incessant pecking at his window and letting the large, brown owl flutter into his room. He groaned aloud when he saw the official letter knowing it must be his OWL results. He really wasn't looking forward to this. He paused for a moment wondering where Harry and Hermione might be, and then realized they were probably training. With a sigh he opened his letter. Skipping the introduction, he found his grades.

Astronomy - A

Care of Magical Creatures - O

Defense Against the Dark Arts - O

Transfiguration - E

Charms - E

Divination - D

Herbology - A

History of Magic - D

Potions - A

'Mum will be pleased with the two O's, and all together I only failed too classes, plus no more Snape,' he thought musing over his grades. He considered himself lucky as he placed the results on his bed. His stomach grumbled, and he decided to get dressed and go in search of food.

* * * * *

July 27 - 8:15am - Grimmauld Place

Ginny scribbled furiously in a journal she'd started a few weeks earlier. After her experience in first year, she'd been nervous about journals, but without Hermione or Gretchen to talk to, she found that pouring out her thoughts on paper made her feel better. Only this journal was a muggle journal, completely un-enchanted. An owl at her window alerted brought her out of her thoughts and she quickly moved to let it into the room. Realizing it was her Hogwarts letter; she untied it quickly and offered the owl a treat. It took it before flying off again. Ginny tore into the letter and a badge fell out. She snatched it just before it hit the floor. She groaned when she looked at it. She'd been hoping not to be a prefect, like the twins.

'Maybe it will put mum in a better mood though,' she thought putting the badge on her bureau and looking over the book list. 'At least now we have an excuse to go to Diagon Alley,' she thought brightening. 'Getting out of here would be nice, and maybe I can talk mum and dad into a nicer broom.' She put the letter in her pocket and decided to approach her mother first thing and ask about going to get her school things. She also really wanted to see the twins shop. So far, her mum had insisted that she couldn't leave Grimmauld. She picked up her journal and wrote a quick entry about her school letter and the prefect badge. Finishing the entry, she closed the book and tucked it back into her nightstand drawer before heading downstairs to grab some breakfast and talk to her mother.

Moments later when she entered the kitchen all she found was her brother Ron. Dobby appeared just after she entered to ask what she wanted to have for breakfast. She gave him her order and then sat down across from her brother.

"Hey, Ginny," Ron greeted between mouthfuls.

"Good morning, Ron," she returned. "Where is
everyone?"

"I don't know. I haven't seen anyone except Dobby," Ron replied after a gulp pumpkin juice. "It's a bit weird really. I haven't even seen mum." Both Weasleys paused at that. It was very rare for Molly Weasley to not be puttering about the house cooking or cleaning and keeping an eye out for everybody.

"Something big must be going on if mum is out on a mission and not here," Ginny mused aloud. Ron stopped chewing and stared at her for a moment. He contemplated what Ginny had just said.

"She might have just gone on some errands," Ron countered finally, not wanting to think about the fact that his mum could be putting herself in danger. He hadn't thought much about exactly what being in the Order might mean. With all the attacks and recent losses it was hard not to think about the potential loss of one or more of his family members. And Harry, Hermione, Neville, and Luna were now all part of the Order as well. He knew Luna had a lesson with Madam Pomfrey this morning. She'd told him about her lessons at Hogwarts with the healer. Part of him felt relieved that she was safely tucked away at Hogwarts, just in case something might be happening this morning.

"It's not right that they won't even tell us what's going on," Ginny complained putting down her fork and pushing her plate away.

"They will eventually," Ron reassured her before adding, "Sometimes I'm not sure I even want to know." Ginny looked at her brother in surprise. Seeing her look, Ron explained. "Harry and Neville have lost nearly their entire families, Hermione lost her parents, Hannah lost her mom, who are we going to lose, Ginny? Not even Fudge can pretend we're not at war anymore? Who else are we going to lose before this is all over?" He pushed his own plate away, and left her sitting alone at the table to think about what he said.