Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not by AJ Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not

AJ Potter

Chapter 22: Bound in Sadness
July 9 - Hogwarts - 11:05am

Harry and Hermione stood at the back of the Great Hall during the memorial service. Harry only heard part of what Dumbledore said about the losses sometimes seeming so great it overpowered a single witch or wizard, and that all of them should focus on the moments they cherished with their loved ones rather than on their loss. Everything seemed to be happening to someone else, and he was merely looking on, watching the scene but not really seeing any of it. Hermione had not released her death-like grip on his hand. A few bruises were an extremely small price to pay for the stability he gained from having her there by his side. He hoped that she found the same comfort in having him with her.

He turned slightly to look at her and she leaned in close against him resting her head against his shoulder and neck. She hadn't spoken yet about what had happened with her uncle and he didn't broach the subject. He wished they were alone. He wanted to pull her into his arms and bury his face in her hair and just hold her until all the bad things went away. He did the next best thing for the moment and tilted his own head slightly to rest against hers.

Harry looked back at the podium where Remus Lupin now stood. He'd been so lost in thought he completely missed the last of Dumbledore's words. 'The last Marauder,' Harry thought to himself as he tried harder to listen to Remus's words. The crowd drew a collective breath the first time he mentioned Sirius name, but as Harry listened with the others Remus told of discovering that Sirius had not betrayed his friends or killed all those people. Instead, Peter Pettigrew was the traitor and still lived as one of Voldemort's most loyal servants. He spoke of Sirius's love for Harry, and how he had died protecting the godson he loved as a son. Harry couldn't hold back the tears as Remus finished his speech in memory of one of his best friends.

Once again Harry found that by the time he had regained some semblance of control over his emotions after Remus's speech, he had missed part of Professor McGonagall's speech about the Granger's. She talked warmly of her conversations with them about Hermione and how proud they had been of their daughter, top of her class, and always quick to defend and help others. A brief smile flitted across Harry's lips as he thought of how true those statements about Hermione were. He didn't hear the rest as the young woman beside him did what he had longed to do, and wrapped her arms about him tightly sobbing against him her whole body trembling. His own arms found their way around her crushing her against him even tighter as his own tears fell into her hair. No matter how many people he lost, it never got any easier, and no matter how much time passed, he still missed them daily.

Dumbledore watched the young couple in the back from his place at the podium. Even he, who had seen so many of his dear friends and family die, found himself having difficulty keeping his own emotions in check. Several times already tears had found their way down his cheeks as he thought of all who had been lost. When the couple in the back embraced he thanked Merlin they had each other to held find solace. He started to look away when he noticed the faint glow that surrounded the two. 'Oh my,' he thought as he recognized the significance at once. He subtly cast a disillusionment charm causing the two to fade from sight. He wondered if this was the first time the charm had occurred and if the two even knew what had happened. He hoped that no one else had noticed and determined to speak to the two at the earliest opportunity. It would not do for Voldemort to learn of this discovery.

He only half listened to the rest of the proceedings as various other members came forward to remark about others who were lost including Narcissa Malfoy, who stunned everyone when she spoke of how much Louise Abbott had meant to her. The normally almost reclusive Narcissa Malfoy seldom spoke in public unless she was issuing orders, and few could imagine given her ancestry and her current husband, why she had attended this private gathering.

Hannah, Daniel, and a mostly recovered Draco had surrounded her the moment she stepped off the podium. The group returned to their seats as Amelia Bones took the podium to deliver a final message of comfort about all of those who were lost and assured the gathered crowd that the Ministry was truly sorry for their losses. She also spoke of the changes removing the ban for underage restriction of magic and of the classes for both children and adults in self defense that were being established at Hogwarts to help combat the problem of Death Eater attacks. As she rounded up her speech, and welcomed everyone to stay for a luncheon at Hogwarts to start fifteen minutes after the end of the service, Dumbledore glanced at his watch and realized that only an hour had passed since the beginning of the Ceremony.

* * * * * *

Neville sat quietly through the ceremony, neither crying nor moving, not even when Gretchen had started sobbing as her mother spoke of what Eleanor Longbottom had meant to her and her family. Neville's only living relative other than his parents, his great uncle Alger had taken a seat in the front row after pausing briefly to speak to Neville where he sat in the last row. He hadn't been able to bring himself to approach the stage, or even the front of the room. He felt as if he had failed his grandmother.

Dumbledore had allowed him a brief visit to his parents earlier that morning, and he had explained to them about his grandmother's death. Neither of them had reacted to the news despite Neville's continuing hope that something might register with them to bring them out of their own minds. He felt as if he were failing them as well, as he still had no idea how to help them or even if he could. He'd been researching covertly for years cases similar to that of his parents, along with plants and healing techniques that might help them. As of yet, nothing had worked. He sighed after the final announcement by Bones of the classes to start soon, as he realized that he'd been so lost in his own thoughts that he'd lost track of what was going on around him.

He got to his feet only after most of the hall had emptied and looked around for Harry and Hermione. They understood, and although he appreciated Gretchen and Ginny's loyalty, he couldn't quite bring himself to really talk to them. When his search failed to find them, he wondered if they had left early to avoid the crowd.

"Neville?" A voice interrupted his thoughts and he found himself face to face with his Uncle Alger once again. The man was older than his grandmother with wild graying hair, warm brown eyes, and a sad smile. Uncle Alger had always been nice to him over the years except for the few times he had done things like pushing Neville out a window to determine if he had magical ability.

"Yes, uncle," Neville replied waiting patiently for the man to continue speaking.

"Ellie was right proud of you the last time we spoke. Said you'd grown into a fine young man. Thought you might like to know that. Anyway, it got me thinking as well. You'll be sixteen soon, and though some may say that's a bit young, you've had to be more of an adult for awhile now. I just wanted to say that if you want to be emancipated and claim your birthright, let me know and I'll sign the papers. Either way you're welcome to come stay with me or go back to Longbottom Manor if you prefer." Neville looked at the man in shock which must have been quite obvious.

"Don't look so surprised son, I was always telling Ellie she was way too hard on you. Your folks would be right proud of the man you've become and it's obvious to anyone who looks that you're an adult, age notwithstanding," Alger Horatio Stewart added at his nephew's surprised look. Neville thought back over what his uncle had said. He had expected a fight for his right to be an adult.

"Uncle, what did you mean by my birthright?"

"Ah, that, I don't know fully, just that your mother was a singularly gifted and special witch and that your birthright through her family will only be yours when you come of age either in years or through emancipation. Even Ellie didn't know for sure what exactly it entailed, just that you were to report to Gringotts when you came of age," Alger told his nephew what little he knew.

"Thanks, uncle, I'd like to be emancipated perhaps on or right after my birthday," Neville replied. Alger nodded in understanding.

"I expected as much, just let me know where you will be staying and let me know if you need anything," Alger said, then added, "I should be getting home." Neville nodded in return and shared a quick hug with his uncle who then moved off into the crowd. Neville watched him walk away before his attention was again snagged by new arrivals to his small group.

"Hello, Neville, Gretchen, we cannot thank you enough Neville, for saving our daughter," Mrs. Rollins greeted the young people. "And who's your friend, Gretchen?"

"Ginny Weasley," Gretchen said introducing Ginny to her mother and father, and them to Ginny. "I didn't even realize you were back from your trip," she added softly almost sad to see them.

"Yes, well, Headmaster Dumbledore said you were in a safe house along with Neville and some others and that it would just be easier to meet up with you at the service. Unfortunately, we arrived just before it was to begin and so did not have time to find you first," Caroline Rollins explained. "We've missed you terribly, and wanted to come home sooner, but Dumbledore insisted that you were well and that we should enjoy ourselves while we had the opportunity."

"We really should be getting home," David Rollins broke into the conversation.

"Yes, we can discuss at home about allowing you to attend one of the defense classes. They do sound like a very helpful idea," Caroline agreed.

"Neville, you are welcome anytime. In fact, would you like to stay with us for awhile," David offered the young man.

"No, thank you, sir, though I really appreciate the offer. I've been staying with some friends and I think I will continue to do so," Neville replied. "Thanks, Gretchen," he added turning to the small Gryffindor who hugged him fiercely before stepping away to say goodbye to Ginny.

He realized for the first time that the Great Hall was changing around them. 'I guess we didn't leave in time,' he thought as he saw two of the long house tables appear on either side of them. The chairs had disappeared and back were the benches that the students sat upon during their meals. The podium with its flowers and pictures remained at the front of the room. The change in the room had just laid out rather obviously how he had felt all day, as if he were standing still while the whole world moved on around him. He wanted to call out for things to slow down to give him a moment to catch his breath at all that had happened, but knew that even if he cried out it wouldn't make anyone or anything stop.

'I could really use that fire whiskey now,' he thought as others began to stream back into the room. He wanted to forget, if only for a little while, about everything. Someone bumped into his arm as they passed and it was only then that he realized that Gretchen and her family had left, and that Ginny Weasley had also moved away slightly as she talked to Dean Thomas. He spotted the Weasley family easily thanks to their distinctive red hair and moved to sit beside Luna who sat across from the twins but in the thick of the family, her pale blonde locks out of place amongst the sea of red.

"Ah, Neville, have a drink and let us know," George began as soon as he sat down on the bench.

"What you think," Fred finished. He looked at them and then at the drink in front of him. Throwing caution to the wind he downed whatever was in the glass in one gulp. Fire burned through his mouth and he almost choked. He set the glass down his eyes watering. After several long moments, he finally croaked, "Thanks, guys." The twins just smiled. No steam came out of his ears, but the potent fire whiskey had caused Neville's entire face to flush as tears leaked out of his eyes.

"You're welcome," they both replied turning to their food.

"Should I have warned you," Luna asked her voice full of concern as she handed Neville a handkerchief.

"No, it was a nice shock to the system," Neville replied quietly.

* * * * * *

Under her own disillusionment spell, Nymphadora Tonks made her way carefully to where Dumbledore had said the still invisible couple should be standing. Very quietly she said their names.

"Tonks?" Harry's voice questioned.

"Yes, I'm under a disillusionment charm. So are you and Hermione. You need to go to Dumbledore's office as he'd like to speak to both of you," she whispered in return.

"Why?" Harry wanted to know. He pulled back slightly from Hermione, but he could see her perfectly.

"I don't know, but it sounded important," Tonks replied quickly. Hermione said a quick spell and both her and Harry's face returned to normal with no trace of the tears that had fallen.

"We'll leave now," Hermione said taking Harry's hand as the two started towards Dumbledore's office.

"Thanks," Harry added unsure if Tonks heard him or not since he couldn't see where she was. "Hermione, why is it I can see you but not Tonks?"

"I'm not sure. I guess it could be because the spell was cast over both of us as the same time or perhaps because of the bonding," Hermione answered careful to keep her voice low.

Neither spoke again as they made their way through the familiar halls to Dumbledore's office. It was only when they stopped that they realized that Tonks had not given them the password. Before they could even try any the door opened to reveal the winding staircase. They made their way to the top and knocked on the door.

"Come in," Dumbledore's voice called out and the door swung open of its own accord. He released the spell and Harry and Hermione materialized in front of him the golden aura gone. "Thank you for coming so quickly. Have a seat. Lemon drops? Or tea perhaps?"

"No, thank you," they said in unison. Dumbledore's smile brightened.

"Do you know why you are here?"

"We'd rather you tell us, sir," Harry replied as he and Hermione settled into the two chairs in front of Dumbledore's desk.

"I observed a rather rare event during the memorial service, a golden glow surrounded both of you as you held each other in the back of the Great Hall. I must admit it has been a very long time since I have seen it, but it was unmistakable," Dumbledore informed them. "That's why I cast the disillusionment charm on you both. I did not want to risk that others might see it. Now tell me, do you realize the significance of the glow and have you noticed it before today?" Dumbledore watched as the two seemed to carry on a silent struggle before him before Hermione finally answered his question.

"It happened before at Grimmauld. We know that it signifies the bonding of a couple. I have been trying to find more information, but it's rarely mentioned in any of the books I have been able to find so far." Harry stared down at his hands not wanting to meet the headmaster's eyes.

"Why didn't you come to me?" Dumbledore questioned quietly. "I would certainly help you find out more about it."

"Honestly, sir, we we're arguing over it at first. And then I talked Hermione into keeping it quiet until we could find out more on our own," Harry answered looking up and gazing steadily at Dumbledore.

"Arguing?"

"Harry's worried that the bonding will mean that if Voldemort kills him, it will also kill me," Hermione informed him.

"I see, and what about you Miss Granger?"

"I believe in Harry. The prophecy says that he will have the power to vanquish Voldemort. Bonding with me should make him stronger." She said it so matter-of-factly that Dumbledore marveled at her calm.

"Indeed it will. A fully bonded witch and wizard can call upon the other's magical power," Dumbledore added pondering what she had said. "It also generally means that the death of one can bring about the death of the other. This does not always happen. For example, if one of you sacrificed yourselves to save the other."

"Then we need to stop this, headmaster," Harry interjected.

"Ah, but that brings us to the problem. You cannot stop a natural bonding once it has begun. If this just happened as I am lead to believe then it suggests a union of soul mates so to speak, and the best that I or anyone else could do is to help you complete the bonding ritual and learn to use the abilities and powers it brings with it."

"So there is no way to undo this?" Harry said quietly. The fire in Dumbledore's fireplace flared as Hermione whirled on Harry eyes flashing.

"I love you, Harry, why can't you trust in that? I can take care of myself. You don't have to keep trying to pull away from me all the time? Do you have any idea how that makes me feel?" Her voice rose and wind whipped through the circular office causing papers and other small objects to swirl about the room. "We're stronger together than we ever would be alone." With that she swept out the door which opened before her and then slammed shut behind her. The wind stopped and everything dropped to the floor. Dumbledore's eyes were twinkling merrily.

"I suggest you give her some time. And she made some excellent points, Harry. She's a talented and powerful witch. With the proper training and motivation, I have no doubt that she could best us both in a duel," Dumbledore said with a chuckle. "I will see what I can find on bonding and will get back to you."

Harry stood slowly, nodded to Dumbledore, and then made his way back down to the main hall. He hadn't meant to offend Hermione. He was only thinking of protecting her. He didn't want to push her away, but he also didn't want to think about what Voldemort would do to her if he captured her. The bonding scared him. He knew he had to make things right with her. He just wasn't sure how. Feeling more alone than he could ever remember he couldn't fathom the idea of facing anyone, so he went out the main doors and made his way to his favorite tree near the lake to think.

**************

Author's Note: I hope you like it. Please let me know what you think. And thank you to all of you who are reading this story, with a special thanks to those who review.