Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not by AJ Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not

AJ Potter

Chapter 33: Hogwarts Bound
September 1 - Grimmauld Place

The rest of the summer passed quickly and quietly, and Neville found himself confirmed as the newest member of the Wizengamot. The election for the new Minister of Magic was to take place in October. He couldn't believe he'd actually sat in on a meeting and helped decide the timing for such a major event. He placed the last of his items in his trunk and levitated it down to the front entryway. He'd eaten hours ago, run through a practice dueling session with Harry, and was now dressed, packed and ready to leave for Kings Cross station.

"Hurry up, everyone!" Molly Weasley shouted from the entryway. Several silencing charms had taken care of Mrs. Black's portrait. And thanks to Dobby's remodeling efforts the entire place was clean and bright with a heavy influence of Gryffindor colors. As Neville watched Hermione levitated her own trunk down the stairs beside his, as Ron found his mother to ask for some final assistance in packing. Ginny, still dressed in her pajamas, rushed past him to go upstairs, a stack of books, and scattered parchments in her arms. The residents had seemed to go mad this morning, and he finally understood why the Weasleys generally arrived at Platform 9 ¾'s just in time for the train.

Grams had always insisted that they be early, and no matter how early Neville was ready, it was never quite early enough. She enjoyed the opportunity to speak to others on the platform and catching up with the latest gossip. Neville shook his head in an attempt to banish the sad thoughts. He felt someone touch his arm, and looked down to see Hermione standing beside him. She gave him a sad smile.

"I miss them, too." He nodded at her words and understanding. He didn't know if he could speak at that moment.

Harry levitated his own trunk down the stairs to rest beside Hermione's and Neville's. He'd seen the last by play between them, and it wasn't hard to guess what they were thinking about. He smiled as he approached them hoping to lighten the mood. He almost wished they could stay at Grimmauld a little longer. He knew he'd miss not falling asleep with Hermione curled against him. They'd talked about it last night. They didn't intend to hide their relationship, but with the dorms at Hogwarts it would be nearly impossible to spend the entire night together. Searching for a safe topic, he greeted them.

"So who do you think will be down first, Ron or Ginny?" Neville returned his smile as did Hermione though neither spoke. Instead, Luna answered his question as she joined them from one of the sitting rooms. "Ronald will, of course." Her own trunk came to rest beside Neville's.

"Hello, Luna, I didn't realize you were down here," Hermione greeted the other girl. Luna's familiar bottle cap necklace jingled as she moved to sweep her hair into a knot on top her head, securing it with her wand.

"Father likes to arrive at any location early to make sure it's secure, so I'm used to packing and arriving early," she explained. "He and other Order members left a couple of hours ago to secure the station." Her words brought the others back to the reality that Voldemort could have something planned for the train.

"He has been awfully quiet lately," Neville pondered his mind shifting to the possibilities of the station or train being attacked.

"Hey guys," Ron greeted. His hair looked almost as messy as Harry's but he was fully dressed, packed, and downstairs before Ginny just as Luna predicted. Luna smiled dreamily up at him.

"Hello, Ronald," she returned. Ron smiled back at her as he placed his trunk alongside the others.

"Who's been quiet?" He inquired looking at each of his other friends.

"Voldemort," Harry replied, "Luna just told us that the Order sent members over earlier to make sure the train and station were secure." Ron's face went thoughtful as he considered this piece of news.

"I expected as much with as active as the death eaters have been this summer. Attacking the station would allow him to attack muggles as well, creating a distraction and increasing the likelihood of casualties. He'd have a better chance of getting away with it if he attacked the train somewhere along the route, I'd think," Ron offered his observations. The others looked at him in surprise, except Luna who seemed to be humming a tune quietly that Hermione could swear sounded a lot like "Weasley is my king."

"Either way, it's not for you to worry about," Molly Weasley interrupted coming up to the group of young people, Ginny and her trunk in her wake. "I want all of you to stay out of trouble. If you see something suspicious report it to an Order member or one of the teachers," she ordered. Harry debated pointing out to her that several of them were already Order members, but decided to remain quiet. Several members of the Order, Mrs. Weasley included, seemed to view the young people as honorary members. And so far, all their tasks had been research or teaching related, not field work or fighting. Harry knew the two were related, and at times resented it, but as Hermione had reminded him, at least now they were kept mostly informed about what was going on around them.

"Everyone ready," Arthur Weasley asked coming in from the kitchen. He was dressed in tan trousers with a burgundy dress shirt and an old blazer with patches on the elbows.

"Yes, finally," Molly responded double checking that each of the teens had their trunk and various pets. It was only then that Harry realized that Mrs. Weasley was also dressed in a muggle skirt with a flower print and a green blouse with one of her own knitted shawls around her shoulders.

"So Dudley won't be joining us?" Arthur questioned noting the absence of the other boy.

"No, he's decided not to attend Hogwarts," Harry revealed.

"Why ever not?" Arthur asked curious wondering how he'd missed this decision. "I thought he was coming alone nicely in learning basic magic?"

"He is, but he and Bill convinced Dumbledore to sort him early and test his magical potential. He's only on a third year level for spells, so he wouldn't be taking classes with the rest of us, and he got sorted into Slytherin," Harry informed them. Hermione and Neville already knew, of course, but the others gave various exclamations of surprise.

"Slytherin?" Ron muttered as if saying the word was foul. Harry had thought it made a lot of sense really. His cousin had never been all that bright, though he now knew he was smarter than Harry originally thought. He also wasn't really all the brave or particularly loyal, so it made sense that the self-serving, me-first Dudley was a Slytherin at heart.

"Not even Dumbledore believed that Dudley could go into the Slytherin common room and not come to some harm either because of his muggle background or his relation to me," Harry explained. "Bill volunteered to continue to tutor him here."

"Alright then, I guess I'll go ahead and tell you how we're getting to Kings Cross this morning. We're going in two groups each with its own car. Ron, Ginny, and Luna, you're with Molly and Tonks. Harry, Hermione, and Neville, you're with Remus and me," Arthur informed them. The door to Grimmauld opened moments later as Remus and Tonks entered. Both were dressed in muggle clothes, though Tonks's hair was a brilliant red. Remus closed the door behind them and smiled in greeting.

"The street is clear. The first group will leave now. The second will follow in about five minutes. There's a car waiting just down the street," Tonks informed them. "Transfigure your trunks into smaller carrying cases. It will also attract less attention in the muggle train station." Everyone did as she requested.

"Alright, let's go," she said leading the way, "stay alert." Harry watched as the first group trooped out the door after Tonks with Molly bringing up the rear.

"They'll be fine," Remus said in an attempt to break the tension in the small entryway after the first group departed. "Tonks knows what she's doing, and Molly and Luna aren't too shabby as well." His words didn't ease the apprehension that seized Harry. Today would be the first time that many of them would be in a public place where they could be attacked.

"Remus is absolutely right, Harry. There are aurors and Order members stationed at Kings Cross, and some teachers will be riding on the Hogwarts Express this year. The main reason for the two groups is to be less conspicuous since there are so many of us," Arthur spoke up attempting to reassure the young people through letting them know about the precautions being taken for the trip to Hogwarts. Hermione took his hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

"Constant vigilance," he muttered thinking about Moody's infamous phrase.

"Always," Neville and Hermione replied almost in unison, and Arthur nearly did a double take.

"I'm a little concerned you three may be spending too much time with the twins," he managed.

"And Moody," Remus added smiling grimly. "Alright, is everyone else ready to leave?" When they all nodded or muttered yes, Remus checked his pocket watch one final time, and said, "We're walking down the street in the opposite direction from the others and taking the black car parked about a block down the street, follow me." With that he opened the door and led the way into the street. It was a beautiful early fall day with only a smattering of clouds and a light breeze.

They found the car just where he said after a brief walk down the street. Remus slid behind the wheel, as Arthur took the passenger seat, and Harry, Hermione, and Neville piled into the back seat. It was a bit cramped with their bags and all three pets, but only Hedwig seemed to mind as she hooted once in disapproval. Harry reassured her that the trip would be a short one, and it was, as Kings Cross was not that far from Grimmauld Place. In record time, the three students and two adults had made their way through the bustling muggle train station and crossed through the passage onto Platform 9 ¾'s. Tonks walked up to them just after they'd emerged onto the platform.

"Ron and Luna are on the train, and Molly is saying goodbye to Ginny. You three had better get moving as well," she advised Harry, Hermione, and Neville.

"Bye, Remus, and thanks," Harry said with a final look at his former professor and one of his father and godfather's best friends.

"Have a good year, Harry, and write to me if you have the chance," he replied wishing Hermione and Neville a good year as well. It was ten till eleven when the trio boarded the train in search of the others.

"Hello, professor," Hermione greeted just after they got on the train. Harry looked up to see Professor McGonagall exiting a compartment.

"Hello, Miss Granger, Mr. Potter, Mr. Longbottom," she nodded at each of them. "I believe Mr. Weasley and Miss Lovegood are about three compartments down from here. You should take your seats as we will be leaving shortly," she informed them.

"Thanks, professor," the three chorused as they passed her. She smiled and continued on her way checking the compartments. Neville reached the door to Ron and Luna's compartment first. He knocked and then slid it open.

"Glad you made it," Ron greeted from his seat by the window. Luna was sitting next to him her feet curled up beside her on the seat. A copy of the "Quibbler" lay open on her lap, upside down as usual. Harry, Neville and Hermione tucked their bags away and sat down across from the two.

"We have a prefects meeting soon," Hermione reminded Ron and Luna as soon as she sat down. She turned to look at Harry and Neville to her left. "The two of you will stay here together, right?"

"Yes, Hermione, we'll stay together won't we, Neville," Harry assured her.

"Where he goes, I go," Neville responded.

"That's not what I meant," Hermione stated giving Harry one
of her best McGonagall looks.

"I know, but if there's trouble, and we can help, we will," Harry replied not really wanting to argue with her.

"I know," she said with a sigh. "Take care of each other then," she added before standing and urging Ron and Luna to follow her to the prefects meeting. The train whistle blew and pulled out of the station just as the three left the compartment. Harry couldn't help but smile at Luna's badge which he noticed was pinned upside down. He and Neville fell into an easy conversation about school and quidditch, as Harry encouraged the other boy to try out for a position on the Gryffindor team. By the time the others came back from the meeting, they had moved on to a game of exploding snap which Ron joined in on, as Hermione and Luna settled in to read. When the trolley cart came by Harry treated them all to a feast of sweets and the games continued. Professors McGonagall, Flitwick, and Sprout would alternately go by the compartment, patrolling the train. Students including the prefects were to remain in their compartments unless absolutely necessary. Neville decided that it was easily the best train ride to Hogwarts he'd ever had as he spent the time with his friends and didn't even see Malfoy or any of the other Slytherins who usually made a point of picking on him.

"We're almost there," Hermione informed them, almost before they realized that much time had passed. She closed her book, carefully marking the page before moving to grab her robes from her bag. Surprised that the ride was nearly over and it had been even quieter than usual the others began wrapping up their game as they finished the last of the sweets. Luna stood as well removing her wand and letting her long hair cascade down her back. Hermione had to stop herself from giggling as Ron, caught up in watching Luna, ending up with a snap exploding in his face and singing his eyebrows. Harry and Neville found it hilarious, but Hermione doubted they had noticed Ron's distraction. She was smiling as Luna retrieved her robes, and the girls left the compartment to go and change. While the girls were gone the three scrambled into their own robes.

"This has been a great trip," Neville said happily. Normally, he didn't care for the train rides because he often ended up sitting by himself or Trevor would get loose. Today, his escape artist frog had remained quietly in his cage, and he'd spent the entire ride with his friends.

"Yeah, and with the teachers patrolling even Malfoy is too scared to try anything," Ron pointed out pulling at his robes and trying to straighten them a little. Finally, he gave up and cast a quick charm on them to make them look freshly ironed.

"What's up with you and Luna?" Harry asked noticing his friends attempt to straighten his robes.

"Nothing," Ron replied going as red as his hair.

"Really?" Neville teased, "It sure looked like you couldn't take your eyes off her a minute ago."

"Neville's right mate, your eyebrows are still singed from it," Harry said with a laugh. Ron seemed to go even redder if that was possible.

"I think I like her," he finally replied, "but don't tell anyone yet, okay. I haven't even told her." Harry and Neville swore they wouldn't tell anyone other than Hermione, and Ron was forced to accept that as the girls had returned. The train stopped only moments later, and the five young people exited the train.

"Firs' years, this way," Hagrid called holding a lantern aloft and towering over the crowd of students and teachers that crowded Hogsmeade station. The sun was slowly starting to sink behind the horizon as Harry noted that Professor Flitwick followed Hagrid and the first years, as the other teachers waited while the students filed into the thestral drawn carriages. The sight of the castle in the distance caused a deep stirring in Harry's heart. He was home.
* * * * * * *
Ginny watched as the others made their way up the stairs laughing. She'd never felt more left out, although it had been her decision to sit in another compartment with Dean, Seamus, and some of the other Gryffindors. Her hopes that Harry and Hermione wouldn't last were being dashed, and Ron seemed rather cozy with Luna.

"Come on, Gin, the feast will be starting any moment," Dean called offering her his hand. She took it reluctantly and sighed. She liked Dean. She really did, but he wasn't Harry. They took their usual seats at the Gryffindor table near Harry and the others. To Ginny's surprise, Luna was sitting beside Ron at their table.

"Hey Loony, I think your at the wrong table," Lavender Brown giggled nudging Luna as she passed.

"Her name is Luna," Ron insisted. Luna's hand on his arm prevented him from rising. She shook her head as if it wasn't important to her.

"And she can sit here if she wants," Hermione interceded, "Hogwarts doesn't have any rules that say you have to sit at your house's table all the time."

"Oh come on, Hermione, don't encourage her," Lavender replied haughtily taking a seat just down from Luna. Parvati made herself comfortable next to her and the two immediately began gossiping about why Luna would be sitting with the golden trio. The rest of the students filed in and took their seats. Luna moved as if to stand, but this time Ron stopped her.

"Stay," he requested. She smiled and nodded her ascent settling back into her seat next to Ron. The doors at the back of the hall opened and McGonagall lead the first years into the room. The tiny first years were looking all around them in awe. Several seemed a bit frightened. Luna thought back to her own sorting as she sat at the Gryffindor table. She'd always known what house she'd be sorted into when she arrived. She'd had a lovely conversation with the hat as it sat on her head before finally sorting her into Ravenclaw as she knew it would. She really did like her own house. It was her mother's house as well, and she enjoyed that they shared that. She'd only meant to stay at the Gryffindor table for a few minutes and then move to the Ravenclaw table before the sorting began. She liked that Ronald had asked her to stay, and she certainly couldn't leave after that invitation. She had spent nearly all of her free time at Grimmauld with him talking and playing chess. She suspected that he liked her, but he hadn't said anything to her yet. Her thoughts were interrupted by clapping and she realized that she had missed the sorting hat's song. She tried to pay more attention as Professor McGonagall called the first years' names and they were sorted into houses. She clapped for both the Ravenclaws and the Gryffindors.
Once the last student had been sorted into Hufflepuff, Professor McGonagall picked up the hat and stool and disappeared from the room. Dumbledore rose from his seat spreading his arms in welcome.

"Welcome everyone. I shall keep the announcements short so we can start the feast. The Forbidden Forest is forbidden to all students. Mr. Filch has added more items to his list of banned items, mostly consisting of any items that can be purchased at Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes. For a complete list, please check his office door. I would also ask that you join me in welcoming this year's new defense against the dark arts teacher, Professor Black." At this Narcissa Black Malfoy stood to a smattering of applause before sitting down again. "And, now, let us eat." At these words the feast appeared on the table.

"Finally," Ron mumbled piling food onto his plate.

"It's not going anywhere, Ron," Hermione reminded him.

"Why is she using Black rather than Malfoy?" Harry questioned changing the subject.

"She's probably trying to distance herself from the Malfoy name," Hermione replied turning back to Harry.

"I can't believe Dumbledore brought her on as a teacher," Dean interjected from his place just down the table from them.

"He wouldn't have hired her if she couldn't do the job," Hermione defended Dumbledore's choice.

"We'll find out in the next few days when we have class with her," Ginny said getting into the conversation. They continued to talk about school and quidditch until they were all stuffed. Once the last empty plates had disappeared from the table, Ginny, Luna, and the other fifth year prefects started calling for the first years to lead them to the dormitories. Hermione, Harry, Ron, and Neville followed the group of first years to the dormitory looking forward to a quiet evening.

For a moment the group of Gryffindors just stood and stared around them at the destroyed common room. The furniture was broken with deep gouges in the sofas and chairs, their stuffing hanging out in several places. Ashes from the fireplace coated part of the room. The tapestries had been torn down, many of them slashed. Hermione was the first to recover.

"Ginny, Colin, lead the first years and others back to the Great Hall. We've got to alert McGonagall and the headmaster," she ordered drawing her wand from her pocket. Harry and several of the older students drew their wands as well.

"Neville, Seamus, gather the D.A. members and go with the students as they return to the great hall. Keep them safe," Harry added worried that whoever had trashed the common room might try to attack the students in the halls.

"How did someone get in here, Harry?" Hermione questioned thinking about everything she had read about Hogwarts.

"I don't know, but we need to alert Professor McGonagall, come on," he replied tugging on her hand as they made their way back to the portrait hole in the now empty common room. They met the head of Gryffindor House on her way to Gryffindor tower.

"I already know about the mess. Was anyone hurt?" She questioned not bothering to greet them or slow down as she hurried past them.

"I don't think anyone made it past the common room," Harry informed her immediately changing direction to follow her. Hermione did the same. This time she did stop.

"You two should report to the great hall with the other students until we can sort out what happened and if there is any danger," she told them sternly turning on her heel to start off again.

"We're order members and adults now, professor," Hermione reminded her surprised at her blatant disobeying of her head of house's orders.

"We can't let you go in there alone, especially if whoever did this is still in there," Harry added not about to back down on this.

"Oh alright, but do as I say," she insisted allowing them to follow her because she knew that arguing with them wasn't going to work. She had after all voted to allow them into the Order. It was time she learned to trust them and treat them more like adults even if they were still her students. By the time she had reached the portrait of the Fat Lady, Headmaster Dumbledore had joined them along with Professors Black, Flitwick, Sprout, and Snape.

"Ravenclaw common room is fine," tiny professor Flitwick squeaked as he reached them.

"Hufflepuff is also untouched," professor Sprout reported. They all looked to Snape.

"Slytherin house is as it always has been," he responded glaring at Harry and Hermione. "Shouldn't all the Gryffindors be in the great hall?" He sneered.

"I have allowed them to stay," McGonagall spoke up, "It is after all, my decision." Snape acknowledged her remark though it was obvious he did not agree with her decision.

"Dear Fat Lady, has anyone entered this common room today other than the children?" Dumbledore questioned the pink clad woman who resided in the painting that guarded the entrance to Gryffindor Tower.

"No, Headmaster, just the children who came in earlier and then left talking about a mess in the common room," she answered.

"Perhaps someone entered via the floo network," Narcissa Malfoy suggested sounding almost bored.

"The fireplace is not linked to the floo network, but that is an idea we can investigate," Dumbledore mused before kindly asking the Fat Lady to let them into the Tower. She insisted on the password, "ice pops," but then allowed them entry.

They fanned out wands drawn and began a search of the common room, slowly moving on to the dormitories. Nothing else was amiss, just the common room. No one was found, nor any trace of how he or she might have entered the common room. Finally, they all returned to the ransacked common room where they set about putting it to rights repairing the damage and cleaning up the mess.

"Nothing appears amiss with the fireplace, but I should like extra patrols on the halls tonight. For now, I think the children may return to the tower," Dumbledore decided tucking his wand into his robes.

"Are we to search the castle?" Flitwick questioned watching the Headmaster closely for an answer.

"I sent the ghosts and Filch in search of any intruders before coming to Gryffindor tower. Sir Nicholas informed me upstairs in the dormitory just a moment ago that they had found no one. I expect Filch will tell me the same when I speak to him. For now, I think it best if our students were in bed. We don't want them tired on their first day of classes." With that the professors left the common room leaving Harry and Hermione alone.

"I don't like this. Why just Gryffindor? And why trash only the common room?" Harry pondered in frustration. He'd expected a possible attack on the station or the train, perhaps even an attack on the car on the way to Kings Cross. And then it clicked, that was exactly why.

"He's letting us know that no matter how many precautions we take, he can still get to us," Hermione said her thoughts traveling along the same path as Harry's.

"Even at Hogwarts," Harry finished grimly.

* * * * *
Author's Note: No, the characters are not mine and no money is being made from this story. Thanks for sticking with me, I know I don't post nearly as often as I should. They are finally on their way to Hogwarts! Yeah! Please take a few moments to let me know what you think. Also, I'm trying to up the chapter lengths a bit, as requested many times by my reviewers. Enjoy!