Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not by AJ Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not

AJ Potter

Chapter 13: Ron, Fred, and George, oh my!
July
7 - 7:00am - Grimmauld Place

Poppy Pomfrey bustled around the make-shift hospital room at Grimmauld working on various projects, mostly involving the brewing of healing potions and salves for the summer and upcoming school year.


"I spoke to the house elf, Dobby, and he is making a hearty soup for our patient. Some of the house elves recipes have wonderfully restoring properties," she explained to Luna as the two started yet another potion. Poppy usually used the summer holidays to gather ingredients and restock her medicine cupboards for the upcoming school year.

Normally, she could count on Severus to help her through making most of the healing potions, though he had flatly refused after she knocked him out with a sleeping draft the evening of the attacks. You would think he would thank her for healing him, but oh no, instead he behaved even more surly in return and had now abandoned her to restocking all of her own potions.

At least it prompted the perfect opportunity to show Luna how to make many of the basic potions that she used so often like the pepper-up potion and the dreamless sleep potion. The girl had an obvious talent, and with the proper training, Poppy had little doubt that she'd make a fine potions master. It was disconcerting at times when she seemed to listen with a vacant or dreamy expression as if she wasn't paying any attention at all, but then would recall every detail of what Poppy had just explained and execute it flawlessly.

"There now, that looks good," Poppy stated as she slowly removed the wooden utensil she was using to stir the potion and tapping it three times on the brim of the cauldron before setting it down on the work table. "I am going to take the potions from yesterday back to Hogwarts and fetch some more ingredients back for the next batch of salves and topical creams. If Mr. Weasley wakes have him take one more dose of the strengthening potion and eat as much of the soup as he can. I'll be back in a couple of hours to check on him."

"Yes, Madam Pomfrey," Luna replied moving away from the work table towards Ron's bed. He was sleeping peacefully and some color had returned to his cheeks. Luna was disappointed that she had missed him when he was awake yesterday. She barely slept the night before and had finally given up at just past five and decided to get ready and come downstairs to check on him.

Poppy watched for a moment as the young woman sat down in one of the chairs next to Ron Weasley's bed. She then turned back to her work of gathering together the potions from yesterday to take back to the castle. Just as she finished a soft lullaby floated over to her and she smiled. Luna's voice was a sweet soprano and the lullaby was quite beautiful really. She had noticed that the young woman had a tendency to sing while she worked and Poppy had found herself enjoying the simple melodies. She took one last look at the young couple, then turned and walked from the room, closing the door behind her.

Luna knew when Madam Pomfrey left, and she reached out to take Ron's hand. She had read that people could often hear what was going on around them even when they were sleeping. That's why she had read articles from "The Quibbler" aloud to Ron. It was also why she sang her favorite lullaby from her childhood to him as she held his hand. Madam Pomfrey had said that it was just a matter of time before he was up and about again. Molly Weasley had cried in relief at that and even Arthur had found it hard to stop smiling. Although they had lost their home, the Weasley's had not lost any of their family, and for that, Luna was grateful. She and Molly had talked a lot since their first meeting and Luna liked the kindly woman immensely.

Ron could swear he heard singing. One moment he'd been de-gnomeing the garden and the next he'd found himself lying down in total darkness as he listened to a beautiful voice. He couldn't make out the exact words, but the voice comforted him. He struggled against the darkness because he wanted to see who the voice belonged to. The darkness was too strong though and he found himself pulled back into his dreams.

Luna thought she had seen his eyelids flutter as if he were trying to wake, but then they had stopped. She brushed some hair back from his forehead as she finished the song. She heard a knock and then the door open behind her. She turned slowly and saw Harry enter the room.

"Hello, Luna," he greeted warmly, "how is he this morning?" Harry moved closer to the bed and took a seat beside Luna.

"Good morning, Harry. He's doing much better. Madam Pomfrey says she should be awake and asking for food some time today." Luna informed him.

"That's great. How are you?" Surprised at his question Luna pale blue eyes met his and she stared for a long moment before answering.

"I'm alright. I just want him to wake up soon," Luna responded truthfully. No one, outside of her family had ever expressed much concern for her. She was surprised that Harry had thought to ask. Her father had asked her if she was alright yesterday. She had assured him that she was just worried about Ron and tired from helping Madam Pomfrey make all those potions. He had accepted her answer.

"Me, too, it's just not the same without him," Harry added. "I heard about your modified strengthening potion. That was brilliant." Luna blushed at the compliment.

"Thanks, it was just a suggestion and Madam Pomfrey made the adjustments in ingredients," Luna explained.

"From what I heard from Charlie, Madam Pomfrey credits your suggestion as being the factor that helped Ron get better so quickly." Harry informed her. He'd been surprised at first, but then as he had thought about the quiet girl that seemed so much older and more mature than she was, he had realized that he wasn't so surprised. After all she was in Ravenclaw, and she had reassured Harry about both the thestrals and the voices behind the veil. There was obviously much more to Luna Lovegood than meets the eye.

When Hermione entered the room about ten minutes later the two were deep in conversation. She stood in the doorway for a moment observing them. Hermione had always dismissed the younger girl as, well, a bit loony. She believed in things like crumple-horned snorkacks which simply did not exist. As far as Hermione knew only Ginny and Harry defended her. And even Ginny had remarked that she was a bit strange.

She had always admired Harry's way with others. He treated everyone as an equal. His kindness to others always seemed to surprise people, but that was just Harry. Remus's being a werewolf had never mattered to him nor had Hagrid being a half-giant. He always dealt well with the centaurs and she knew he viewed Dobby as a friend. Perhaps she needed to learn something from Harry's acceptance of others, and be less judgmental of Luna and her strange behaviors and beliefs. After all Luna had seemed almost completely normal since her arrival at Grimmauld and she had unselfishly loaned all three of the other girls clean clothing until their stuff could be retrieved. Luna laughed at something Harry had said and it broke Hermione's train of thought.

"What's so funny?" She questioned moving further into the room.

"Just recalling some quidditch moments," Harry answered a smile upon his own lips. Hermione moved to his side smiling back. Harry didn't smile nearly as often as he should, and although she understood why, it did not mean that she would not do her best to see that smile more often.

"How's Ron?"

"Much better, it looks like Madam Pomfrey agrees with Fred and George that he'll wake up soon ready to eat," Luna replied pulling her wand from behind her ear and twirling it between her fingers.

"Did somebody say our names," Fred Weasley called entering the room with George by his side.

"We know our brother," George began.

"And he's always hungry," Fred finished.

"The only question is," George added.

"Whether we'll have enough food to fill that cavernous stomach of his," the twins finished together.

"Hey guys, we haven't seen much of you lately," Harry greeted the twins.

"Busy time," said George.

"Long hours at the shop," Fred explained. "And Madam Pomfrey chases us off when she's here."

"Woman acts as if we're up to something," George added looking as innocent as possible.

"We're actually here on business this morning," Fred stated in a serious voice unlike his usual joking manner.

"Rumor has it, someone here's a potions master with considerable skill," George continued.

"And we find ourselves in need of some help with a potion for one of our newest products," Fred added eyeing Luna as he and his brother surrounded her. Then both twins were down on their knees in front of the blonde haired girl hands clasped in front of them.

"Will you help us?" Both finished with comical looks of pleading on their faces.

"What exactly would you want me to do?" Luna questioned seemingly staring off into space. She placed her wand back behind her ear.

"Come with us to the shop and go over what we've done so far," Fred began dropping his clasped hands.

"We think a fresh set of eyes will help us figure out what's wrong," George finished rising to his feet. Luna appeared to consider the question for a moment.

"Alright," Luna answered, "I'll take a look at it."

"Yes," Fred and George exclaimed tossing their arms around her in an effusive hug.

"What's all the racket?" The two stopped their shenanigans and turned at the voice.

"Ron," Hermione's excited voice rang out first. She moved closer to the bed where Ron's eyes were open and staring at everyone as if they were crazy.

"Little brother," George called.

"We're taking this little blonde off your hands," Fred said pulling Luna up from her chair as he got to his feet as well.

"Good to have you back, mate," Harry added standing as well so he could see his best friend.

"Fred, please let go of me. Ron needs to take that potion on the nightstand," Luna ordered speaking brusquely. Fred released her surprised. She didn't seem to notice as she grabbed the vial and handed it to Ron. "Madam Pomfrey said you were to take this when you woke. If you're hungry, Dobby made some soup for you."

Ron stared at Luna confused. He didn't understand why Loony was here or why she was the one handing him some vial of gray liquid. No one else seemed surprised at this. But he couldn't help but wonder where Madam Pomfrey was.

"How did you know it was me?" Fred questioned curious.

"There are some very subtle differences," Luna explained not looking at him. Instead she waited patiently for Ron to drink the potion.

"What is it?" Ron questioned wondering if he should really take something that Loony Lovegood handed him.

"It's a modified strengthening potion to help you get better," she informed him.

"Why are you giving it to me? Where's Madam Pomfrey? I think I'd rather just eat for now."

"Ron," Hermione scolded him, "just take the potion. If Luna says Madam Pomfrey left orders for you to take it then she did."

"Take it, mate, Luna and Madam Pomfrey cooked that up especially for you," Harry told his friend. Ron seemed even more nervous at that, but reluctantly took it. He grimaced at the awful taste.

"How about that soup?"

"Dobby," Luna called and the little house elf appeared carrying a tray with a bowl of soup and glass of pumpkin juice. He wore blue shorts and one red sock with snitches on it and a yellow one with blue stripes. Atop his head sat two of Hermione's knitted caps.

"Ron Wheezy's soup, Miss Lovegood," Dobby greeted handing the tray to Luna.

"Hello, Dobby," Harry said.

"Harry Potter, I hopes you is not minding, but Dobby insisted that he must come take care of Harry Potter and his friends," Dobby replied excitedly.

"You're staying here at Grimmauld?" Harry asked surprised.

"If Harry Potter will let Dobby stay, Dumbledore told Dobby that Harry Potter was here with no house elf to look after him, so Dobby insisted, sir."

"Dobby you're always welcome," Harry said, "but if you're going to work here then you're going to get paid for it, and time off to do things you want to do."

"Thank you, Harry Potter, sir," Dobby cried throwing his arms around Harry's legs in a hug.

"Dobby?"

"Yes, Harry Potter."

"Just call me Harry, okay? There are a lot of people staying at Grimmauld and even more coming and going on a regular basis, do you think Winky would like to join you in working here?"

"Dobby will ask her. Harry Potter is truly a great wizard," Dobby was practically jumping up and down in his excitement.

"Well go ask her," Harry encouraged the excited house elf. Dobby vanished a moment later.

"This is really good," Ron commented as he swallowed another mouth full of soup. He'd started eating as soon as Loony had set the tray in front of him.

"We've got to be going little brother," Fred said as he watched his little brother eat his soup. It was good to see him awake for once.

"Yes, Ronnikins, we need to borrow your nurse here," George added waving a hand at Luna who still stood close by Ron's bedside.

"And get to work," Fred informed them smiling.

"I don't know if I should go right now," Luna said hesitant to leave Ron just as he was finally awake. She had been waiting for him to wake up hoping to get a chance to talk to him.

"Go ahead, Loony, I don't need you," Ron encouraged her to leave not even looking up from his soup. He didn't notice Luna's crestfallen expression at his casual dismissal of her.

"Ron!" Hermione who saw the younger girl's hurt look scolded him. Luna turned away from the bed. She raised her head to look at both twins before saying.

"I guess I'm ready then. Madam Pomfrey should be back in about an hour and a half," and with that she walked out of the room. Fred and George gave their little brother a strange look before following her.

"Jeez, what's up with them?" Ron questioned after the three had left.

"I can't believe you sometimes. That was mean," Hermione stated frustrated at her friend's behavior.

"What? What did I do?" Ron looked from Hermione to Harry.

"You hurt Luna's feelings, Ron, and you could have at least called her by her name," Harry clarified for his friend.

"And you obviously upset her," Hermione added her mouth thinning into a McGonagall like line.

"You should apologize at the first opportunity, and stop calling her Loony. She's actually really smart, kind, and she helped save your life mate," Harry insisted.

"Have you both gone nuts? Ron wanted to know. "Everyone calls her Loony because she is."

"You don't know anything about her, Ron," Harry informed him before turning to leave. Sometimes Ron seemed absolutely clueless.

"What's wrong with him? Does he like her or something?" Ron asked Hermione who was now the only person in the room with him.

"My guess is he doesn't appreciate how you treated Luna, and frankly, neither do I," Hermione told him. She ignored the later part of his question. It suddenly struck her that neither she nor Harry had considered how Ron might react to their being together.

"But you don't like her either. You're always saying that what she says isn't true. And everyone knows how weird she acts," Ron tried to explain himself. He was tired and confused. His soup was gone and he was getting sleepy. 'What was the big deal anyway, unless, Harry really did like Loony?' He was too tired to think about it. He sighed and closed his eyes.

Hermione decided not to push him any further as he looked tired. Instead, she removed the tray from his lap and set it on the work table. When she turned back to Ron his eyes were still closed and he was breathing deeply. She couldn't believe that he didn't see that he'd been mean to Luna or that his comments had obviously affected her. She'd also have to talk to Harry about how they would tell Ron that they were together now. He seemed to be sleeping peacefully so she decided it would be safe to leave him alone. She could always return with her breakfast to keep an eye on him. She sighed and adjusted his blanket before leaving the room in search of Harry and breakfast.

* * * * * * * * * *

Author's Note: I still haven't figured out how to respond to reviews on this site. Sorry about that and about the lack of posting for a long time there. Lots more of this story is done, so I am going to be posting it on a regular basis, as recommended by many of my reviewers. I don't have a beta, and I have been trying to do the revising and editing myself, so if someone would be interested in helping me that would be great. Until then thanks to those of you who read, and especially those who review!