Unofficial Portkey Archive

Muggle Summer by canoncansodoff
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Muggle Summer

canoncansodoff

Chapter 24: Queen's Wizard

Disclaimer: Not my character, no money being made, etc.

+++

"The wards are still up," Harry said, as the tingling sensation traveled down his spine even before Hermione had turned onto Privet Drive. "I do hope that isn't because Aunt Petunia is still here."

The chances that the Dursleys were still in Little Whinging, and any thoughts that there would be anything "small" about the dinner celebration that evening were quickly dispelled by the sight of the circus tent that covered a good portion of Privet Drive. Hermione parked the car just outside of a barricade set up at the end of the street. Wally and Brian were waiting for them with umbrellas and a wheelchair.

"Good evening, Sir Evan," Brian said as he opened the rear door. "Sir Harry's mobile call gave us the opportunity to ready a place for you to stay. Would you like me to take you there?"

"Not unless it has a stocked wet bar, thank you very much," Sir Evan replied. Ron rolled his eyes; the elderly knight had been badgering them to stop at a pub for a few drinks ever since he had popped out of thin air and onto the Bentley's rear bench.

Brian smiled as he helped Sir Evan into the chair and handed him an umbrella. "I believe we will be able to accommodate your request under the tent."

As Brian pushed Sir Evan past four parked motorcoaches Wally hung back to chat with the other three.

"I hope you don't mind our initiative," he said, "but we're going to make Number Twelve wheelchair accessible and convert its living room for Sir Evan's use."

That's fine, Wally," Harry replied. "We had been talking about turning one of the houses into an infirmary...this just moves that construction schedule up a bit." Harry crunched his eyebrows as he thought of something. "Do we have anyone lined up to take care of him?"

Wally nodded. "We had the same concern…there aren't any c-mug geriatric nurses on MI-5 ¾'s payroll. But in a rather happy coincidence, one of your guests this evening is a card-carrying registered nurse."

"And who would that be?" Harry asked.

"A Mrs. Janet Miller," Wally replied, "the muggle mum of a Hogwarts student from Chelsea."

"Oh great," groaned Hermione, "she must be Amy Miller's mum."

"Who's that?" Harry asked.

"Third-year Ravenclaw," she replied, "and one of the more ardent members of the Harry Potter fan club."

Ron chuckled. "And how would know about the membership rolls of just such a club?"

Hermione blushed. "Well, I thought it my duty as Harry's friend to keep tabs on what his groupies were up to."

Harry grabbed Hermione's and pulled her close. "And I suppose that was the only reason for joining my fan club, huh?"

"Maybe," she replied, before sticking out her tongue.

Harry tried to catch her tongue with a kiss, then laughed. "Well I suppose it's time I break little Amy's heart, along with any of the other witches in that club that are here tonight."

Hermione's eyes sparkled. "Who said it was only witches that fancied you?"

"Too much information," Ron yelled, covering his ears with his hands.

"Speaking of guest lists," Harry said quickly, as he turned to Wally, "I thought we agreed that tonight's dinner party was going to be small."

"Well it is, actually," Wally said with a smile, "when you compare it with the Solstice Celebration that Fred and George have planned for next week..."

"So what about the muggle neighbors?"

"We put them on a bus and sent them to the West End for the night…they've got tickets for the revival of Camelot."

That wasn't the only clue that someone from the muggle world had sprung the surprise, rather than the Weasley Twins; a yellow-brick road lay along the street, leading to a tent decorated like Munchkinland. Young children in brightly-colored costumes were running around with huge lollypops in their hands, or waiting in line for pony rides and candy floss. Their parents and older siblings were mingling under the tent and in front of a stage set with musical instruments and loudspeakers; Harry recognized the faces of several muggle-born Hogwarts students sprinkled within this crowd.

"Looks like Mum put her mailing list to good use," Hermione said with a smile, as they were approached by a blond wand-bearing teen that wore white silk, corkbottle caps, and a goofy smile.

"Erm, I'm supposed to ask whether you are you a good witch, or a bad witch."

Hermione and Harry laughed, while Ron stood gobsmacked.

"Merlin, Luna, you look…you look beautiful."

"Thank you Ronald," she replied sweetly, as she walked up to him and gave him a kiss that turned Ron's face beet-red instantaneously.

Harry reached his arm around Hermione's shoulder and hugged her close. "Oi, Weasley," he said, "save the bashful bit for the Snow White party."

Ron overlaid befuddlement on embarrassment as Luna took his arm and led him towards the tent. A great cheer arose when the four were spotted, and Harry, Ron and Hermione were quickly enveloped within a sea of handshakes and backslaps as thirty-seven muggle-born Hogwarts students angled for a chance to introduce Harry to his or her family. It took the better part of an hour for Harry to meet everyone; he managed only through the support of Hermione by his side and the butterbeers that kept getting placed in his hand.

Harry might have spent the entire night within that crowd had Brian not saved him with word that he had another guest waiting to meet him. He led Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna inside Number Five, where they found the Prince of Wales and his Royal Historian chatting with Hermione's parents.

"Oh, there you are, Sir Harry…come in, come in," the Prince said. "And this must be Dame Hermione," he said, as he kissed the back of her hand. "It is a true honor to finally meet you, my lady."

Hermione blushed, not knowing whether she should pull her hand back, or curtsy, or give some sort of formal response. "Pleased to meet you, Your Highness," she finally replied. Harry then introduced the Prince to Ron and Luna, and started to introduce Luna to Hermione's parents before they stopped him with word that they had met before the party started.

"So what brings you to Little Whinging, your Highness?" Harry asked.

"Well, I did hear that there was cause to celebrate your freedom," the Prince replied. "And I as I already had a few things that I wanted to discuss with you I thought I'd come out and do it in person."

"How can I help you, your Highness?"

"Now you see…there you go again," the Prince replied. "Please remember that I am the one that is supposed to be asking how I can help you."

"Erm, yes, your Highness."

The Prince suggested that they all sit down. "Firstly," he began, "Mum and I were wondering if you would join us for lunch on Tuesday. We're having a little get together out at Windsor, before taking in a bit of racing."

"Racing…on Tuesday?" Hermione asked. "Isn't that the day that the Queen reopens the Royal Ascot?"

"Why, yes," he replied, "yes it is. Don't worry…lunch won't be anything too large, and it's quite a short ride from the castle down onto the course. Supposed to be nice weather, I hear."

"You…you aren't asking us to ride in the Queen's procession, are you?" Hermione asked incredulously, looking from the Prince over to her parents and then back.

"Erm, yes, I am," the Prince replied. "I know that it's rather last minute, but…"

"But we aren't royalty," stated Harry.

"Is that so, Sir Harry?" the Prince replied with a smile. "Well, perhaps we can decide that part later, then? Good. Onto the second point. I understand that you've met with Mr. Baxter already? He's been doing a little research for me, and we've come upon something that you might wish to consider. Mr. Baxter?"

"Erm, thank you, Your Highness," the Royal Historian replied, and he turned towards the teens. "Over the past week I have been reviewing some of the treaties signed between the leadership of the muggle and wizarding worlds, with particular interest on the position of Royal Wizard."

"You mean like Godric Gryffindor, when he was King's Wizard?"

"Exactly," the historian replied. "You see, there hasn't been a Royal Wizard for quite some time, and we weren't quite sure whether the position had been eliminated by treaty, but it turns out that it hasn't been."

"So the Queen, if she wanted to, could appoint a Royal Wizard even today?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Baxter replied.

"What does a Royal Wizard do?" Ron asked.

"Well, back in the old days, the Royal Wizard was the sovereign's representative in the wizarding world…an ambassador of sorts. They also led the wizarding forces loyal to that king or queen, in the days when the two world hadn't completely separated, and advised the ruler on magical issues."

"But there aren't any wizard forces under control of the Queen, are there?"

"No, and neither under the civilian government," said the historian. "That right was ceded by treaty in the Sixteenth Century…but the position of Royal Wizard wasn't ceded…it was kept for ceremonial purposes, much like the Swiss Guards that work for the Pope."

"Which brings us around to a question for you, Sir Harry," the Prince interjected. "Her Royal Highness would be pleased that you would consider serving her in that capacity."

"You see there might be some advantage for you to hold that post," the historian said. "We understand that you have to worry about just how much information about the wizarding world you can legally share with Her Majesty and her government. As Queen's Wizard, we do not believe that would be an issue…there is no treaty limitation on the advisory role of the position."

"So there's an exception to the secrecy regulations for Royal Wizards, so long as it's the Queen he's talking to?" Harry asked.

"Again, that is our interpretation," the historian said. "The Royal Wizard is also allowed to use magic to support and defend the Crown, and there is no limitation made based on the age of the wizard."

"So you think that if I were Queen's wizard I wouldn't have to wait six more weeks to use a wand legally," Harry said. "Sounds like an attractive offer…Hermione, any drawbacks that you can see?"

Hermione thought for a moment. "Besides the obvious political fallout?" she asked. "Can't imagine Scrimgeour will be too happy about you working for the Queen instead of him. It would also probably limit your future career options...forget working for the Ministry, or as an Auror."

"The pay is pretty good, if that is an issue," the Prince said with a smile. "Although we were also considering combining the ceremony with an investiture for the new Lord Gryffindor, and that would certainly involve some additional financial resources…."

"I'm not worried about money," Harry said, "I would like to do something interesting after all of this, though…and I imagine that I could always track down Dark Wizards in defense of the British Empire, right?"

Hermione turned to the historian. "Was Albus Dumbledore asked to be King's Wizard during the war?"

"As a matter of fact he was," the Prince replied. "Unfortunately, he felt that his first loyalty had to be to Hogwarts. Of course, that didn't stop him from acting as a de facto advisor," he said with a smile, "or from leading the Order of Arthur….oh, that's right. I almost forgot. As Queen's Wizard you would have control of the remaining eight badges…I understand that they might be useful when placed in the right hands."

"Yes, I imagine that they would," said Harry, thinking furiously. "I hope this doesn't offend you, Your Highness, but it sounds like some of this is based on treaty interpretations by your staff. Not that I doubt your skills, Mr. Baxter, but I might want to get a second opinion from a wizard barrister."

"No offense taken, my boy," the historian said. "That does sound like a prudent idea."

"I'll take that as a provisional yes, then," the Prince said, "and trust that you'll be able to establish a legal opinion from your side in the near future?"

"Sounds like a plan, Your Highness," Harry said.

"Excellent. I suggest that it's time to head out to the tent, then. The Grangers have arranged for a splendid band to play tonight."

As the group headed back to the tent Harry grabbed Hermione's hand and asked to speak privately for a minute.

"Hermione," he asked, "you know how I talked about breaking some Fan Club hearts tonight?"

"Yes," she replied with a slight smile.

"Well, I've been having second thoughts."

"What about, Mr. Potter?" she said with a tinge of concern.

Harry quickly realized the multiple meanings of his last comment. "Not about you, or about us," he quickly reassured her. "About whether we should keep our relationship a secret. And no, it's not because I'm not proud to be your boyfriend, or afraid of Ginny, but…."

"But what, Harry?"

"Well, I'm afraid that it would be too dangerous for you if word got out that you were close to me."

"You mean closer than I already was, or in more danger than I already was?" Hermione asked incredulously. "Harry, I'm already marked, probably number two on their hit list, since I'm a muggle-born, and our friendship's been no secret. And I mean, really, they've already tried to kill my parents and take me out, how much worse could it get?"

"Are you sure?" Harry asked skeptically.

"Are you sure you don't want to see who else is enrolled in your Fan Club?"

"Yes, I'm sure," Harry said with a bright smile and a quick kiss. "Have it your way, then….just don't say I didn't warn you."

"Whatever do you mean, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Oh, nothing," Harry replied with a smirk.

They got to the tent just as Hermione's mum had stepped up to the microphone at the front of the stage.

"Good evening, everyone," she began, "my name is Emily Granger, Chief Information Officer for the Fawkes Foundation, and, more importantly, Hermione Granger's mum." (cheers and laughs from the crowd). "I hope that everyone got enough to eat…the band will be starting up in a few minutes, but before that I've got a few announcements to make."

"Those families that that requested mobile telephones or laptop computers can pick them up at the back of the tent before boarding the bus. There will also be sign up sheets there for anyone who needs high-speed internet connections installed, or computer lessons."

"Secondly, the summer lecture series 'Muggles 'R Us' will kick off next Thursday, with a presentation by Robert Baxter from the British Museum titled 'Merlin's Legacy.' Place and time will be posted this weekend on the muggleborn.com website. Which reminds me…anyone who hasn't gotten their secure login codes yet should see me before the end of night."

"And last, all of the families here tonight should have met their club leads by now. Each club of families should make plans to meet sometime in the next week or two. Now we've already heard from a few students that wish to be in the same group with best friends or housemates, but we really hope you try the assignments that we've made. Groupings were based on geography, but we also made it a point to see that each club has different houses and years represented. Remember kids, on this side of Platform 9 ¾ you've all been sorted into the same house."

"And now, I'd like to turn the microphone over to a very special guest. Please give a warm Little Wizarding welcome to His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales."

The Prince strode up onto the stage, producing a raucous round of cheering. While Harry looked on with no small amount of apprehension, the Prince began to speak.

"On behalf of Her Majesty's Government and the residents of Little Wizarding I'd like to thank all of you for coming out to this event. We are here to celebrate a liberation of sorts…not just Harry's liberation from his tyrannical relatives, but the liberation of all of us from the tyranny of isolation and fear."

After the cheers and clapping subsided he continued. "But perhaps I should step back and explain why I am here. Two weeks ago, when I first met an amazing young man named Harry Potter, I was reminded that I am heir to the throne of all of Great Britain, and not just its muggle bits."

That comment drew laughs from the crowd. "Her majesty's government has the obligation to protect all of its citizens. Now there are some who believe that the government has no interest in protecting British witches and wizards from magical threats, but I think that this is rubbish. Young witches and wizards do not forfeit their rights as a citizens of the Empire upon their entry to Hogwarts, and the most basic of those rights is the expectation that their government will protect them from all threats, be they external, internal, or magical.

Now there are some who argue that the wizarding community has the resources to handle magical threats on its own, and that the muggle government of Great Britain should mind its own business. Well, it is the unfortunate truth that over the past year the wizarding community has been unable to thwart the Dark Wizard and his minions. The evil one who fancies himself Lord Voldemort has even purposely attacked muggles in an attempt to reach his intended goals. While we have no intention of getting in the way of the Ministry of Magic's efforts, neither will Her Majesty's government stand idly by in the hope that things will get better on their own.

And this is where all of you, this young man, and this community enter into the story. I'm sure that most of you have heard the story of Harry Potter, of how he has seemingly been destined since birth to face Lord Voldemort. In the short time that I have known him, he has done nothing to diminish my confidence that he is up to this task, but he can not do it alone. Her Majesty's government has made certain resources available to him for this fight, but this help alone is not sufficient. It is up to all of us, and all of you, to do whatever you can to help him in this fight. It is my hope that you will consider any help you give him to be as if you were giving it to the Crown itself. And it is my expectation that even in the darkest of days, you will all display the stoic resolve and strength that is at the very heart of what it means to be British."

The Prince then decided that it was time for Harry to make a few remarks. Saying that while he wasn't used to being a warm-up act but that in this case it was entirely appropriate he pulled Harry up onto the stage and pushed him in front of the microphone. Harry looked as if he'd rather face Voldemort than a live microphone.

"Well, erm…look, I'm pants at giving speeches," he began, "so I hope you're not expecting anything fancy coming out of my mouth." Sprinkles of laughter arose from the crowd. "It's great seeing so many of my schoolmates here. Looks like we have a few Gryffindors here tonight (cheer), not to mention Ravenclaws (cheer) and Hufflepuffs (cheer)…if anyone out there is from Slytherin House (jeers and catcalls), the Death Eater's Friday-night Fish Fry is next street over (big laugh)."

"I love seeing all of you with your families, because that's what this is all about…what the work of the Fawkes Foundation is all about. I want all of the Hogwarts students out there to thing about your parents, and brothers and sisters. If you think we live our lives in the Twilight Zone, what about them? When they're at work and a co-worker starts bragging about their son's play on the soccer pitch what can they say…yeah, but you should see what my kid can do with a broom?" (laugh). When the neighbors bring around pictures of their children dressed for school balls can ours show off us in our dress robes? (someone shouted "No great loss for Weasley," to the crowd's amusement). While we're away at school its the parents that have to always watch what they say, or do, to keep our world secret, and up to now they've had to shoulder that responsibility pretty much on their own. If the Fawkes Foundation can do anything to help support our families, to ease the burden they carry…through a network of other families with muggle-borns, then it will be an investment well made."

"The Prince talked about the challenge we face tonight. In a perfect world Voldemort would have no power. In a slightly less perfect world, the Ministry of Magic would be powerful enough to handle him. But we all know the reality….and we also know that on its own the muggle government would find it hard to defeat a dark wizard. This is why a third way is so necessary…a path along which muggles and wizards march side by side, and with those will stand with us against the Dark forces."

"I've seen some amazing things these past weeks, and imagined amazing possibilities….ways for muggles and wizards to collaborate in ways unthinkable for those blinded by narrow minds and racist attitudes. It's enough to give a skinny young kid with hopeless hair some hope. And I can't begin to say how much I appreciate all of the help and support I've received….from the Prince to the Grangers to all of you. It's been…well, it's been brilliant."

"There's lots more we could talk about, but that's what IM'ing is for, isn't it? (laughs)…I just want to end by saying one thing more…Hermione, will you come up here?"

The crowd cheered and whistled while Harry held his hand out to a very embarrassed looking witch. He pulled her up on stage and spun around to face the crowd, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

"You know," Harry said, "there's a prediction out there that Lord Voldemort will be defeated by a power he knows not. Headmaster Dumbledore thought it was love, but it's also entirely possible that it is the power of muggles. That was a bit of a riddle for me, as I look for all of the advantages I can get to defeat Old Tom; what should I look for….love, or a muggle?"

Harry looked at Hermione, who was giving him a very high eyebrow. "Well," he continued, " I'd like to announce tonight that I've found an answer to that riddle. Killing two birds with one stone, I've fallen in love with the smartest and prettiest muggle-born witch that I know - Hermione Jane Granger."

At that very moment, while the crowd went wild with applause and wolf whistles and cries ("About time, Potter" being quite popular) Harry pulled Hermione towards him and planted a long, full kiss on her lips. That only incited the crowd to louder cheering. When they broke the lip lock, Hermione, her cheeks bright red, leaned over and whispered into his ear.

"You are so going to get lucky tonight, Potter," she said with a smile.