Unofficial Portkey Archive

Muggle Summer by canoncansodoff
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Muggle Summer

canoncansodoff

Muggle Summer

Disclaimer: Not my characters, no money being made, etc., etc.

Chapter 46: Another Bad Day for Lucius Malfoy

Thursday, July 5, 10:15am
Hampstead Gardens, London

Harry Potter cursed his poor planning at the sound of multiple arrivals

"Merlin's balls! Multiple pops in an alley-way half-block down the street…knew we should have taken time to set up the anti-app wards!"

"Language, Harry and save it for the after-action," Hermione advised through her muggle com gear. As she was inside the building that Harry had been guarding, she asked, "Are they inside or outside the perimeter?"

"Outside."

"Enough time to clear the street and call for help, then."

"Agreed."

Harry looked about at the half-dozen muggle police officers that were milling about and ordered, "Get off the street and inside, the lot of you!"

"What for, Guv'nor?" asked one of the older constables (who was clearly not used to taking orders from a teenager).

Harry let out breath in frustration as he ran up to the officer and shoved his semi-authentic MI-5 identification badge up into his face.

"Because I'm the ranking officer on the scene and I bloody-well say so, you git!"

The police officer took a step back, quickly apologized, and then took it upon himself to ensure that Harry's orders were carried out. Harry then took cover behind a post box, and looked across the street towards Hermione's father. Despite the situation, he couldn't help but smile at what he saw.

Roger Granger had already established a defensive position behind a police car and donned his dragonhide vest, shield-charmed headgear and "wizardvision" goggles. His mini-Uzi rested on his thigh (shoulder stock open and finger on trigger) while he carefully arranged a small collection of Weasley products in a line down beside his feet.

"Roger, Emily...are you with me?" Harry asked into his radio.

Roger looked up and smiled. "Locked and loaded, Harry," he replied.

"My husband, Secret Agent Rambo," lamented Emily, as she took in the scene from her perch. "All set here, Harry," she added.

"Good…switching over to badge-phone now," Harry replied. He quickly activated his Art Club badge's "party line" and announced, "Listen up, folks…Harry here with an update…we've got nine…no, ten unidentified wizards in muggle clothing that just apparated outside our notice-me-not line. Prepare to back-up."

Too many people replying at once made it impossible for Harry to make anything out.

"One at a time," said Harry. "Remus, you first."

"Are they friendlies?"

"Probably not," snarked Harry, "but that doesn't mean they aren't from the Ministry."

"Where did they arrive, and what are they doing right now?" asked Tonks.

Harry looked down the street and announced, "The apparated into an alleyway, and tried to make their way towards our position before they hit our defensive perimeter. Right now they're…they're talking with the muggle police who've got the street blocked off on their side.

"Talking?" asked Tonks. "Harry, what kind of magic have you guys used in the last few minutes?"

"I used a detection spell and Finite Encantatum five minutes ago," Hermione replied.

"Doesn't sound like it would warrant sending out an Oblviator squad," Tonks replied. "Harry do you want me with you, or should I go to the Ministry and see what they're up to?"

Harry paused and said, "Well, since they haven't drawn wands yet…go to the Ministry, Tonks."

"Will do, boss." Tonks replied.

"Ron…found out anything yet?"

"Erm, hold on, Harry," Ron replied, from his office within the Ministry of Magic. In the intervening seconds Harry ordered Fred and George to badge-jump to Emily Granger's roof-top position with a bag full of their toys.

"Harry," said Ron, once he got back on, "Neville's here with word that MSO detected use of an Imperious curse forty-five minutes ago, about a mile from your location.

"Well that makes sense, given what I've found here," said Hermione.

"MLE dispatched Mad-Eye and an Auror team to investigate," Ron added.

"Mad-Eye?" asked Harry. He quickly looked back down the street and asked, "Roger, is there more there than what meets the eye?"

Hermione's dad peeked around the corner of the police car and compared what he could see with his bare eyes against the view fed to his goggles from a helmet-mounted camera.

"Same-same," he announced (using the code phrase that indicated that he didn't electronically "see" any disguised, disillusioned, or invisible wizards).

"Same here," said Emily.

"Auror teams have five, not nine or ten, and Moody's not one of them," Harry reasoned. He was just about to order a nasty welcome for their guests when another series of pops was heard coming from the opposite direction.

"More muggle-dressed company," Harry announced, as a second group of wizards appeared from an alleyway.

"Five of them," called out Fred from the rooftop. "And…the blond hair bloke with a limp is one-eyed and uglier than he seems."

"Really?" asked Harry. "How do you think we should greet him, Fred?"

"Harry…play nice," warned Hermione.

The Queen's Wizard sighed. "Yes, dear…Roger, stand down, pick up, and move to Emily's position."

Harry joined the other Art Clubbers on the roof, scribbled out a quick note, and called for Hedwig (who had been perched on a nearby lamppost). With the message attached to her leg, Harry gave her a quick pet and soft-spoken command.

Fifteen seconds later, a rather distinctive owl swooped down and landed on a newspaper box right next to where Mad-Eye Moody was standing. The retired Auror turned towards her (while his magical eye remained locked onto the building's entrance) and took the offered message.

+-+-+-

Dear Moody,

CONSTANT VIGILENCE!

We had the situation under control before you guys showed up.

We also have the drop on you and your men.

Meet me in two minutes inside the donut shop just to your right if you want an explanation.

If you want a live-fire training exercise, walk through the notice-me-not charms and climb up onto one of the parked cars…you'll have a better view of Fred and George's inventory in action.

Hugs and kisses,

The-Boy-Who-Swamped

+-+-+-

The retired Auror looked up along the rooflines on each side of the street and let out a deep laugh that carried down the street. He really wanted to see Harry in action, but as he glanced down both ends of the street he saw at least fifty different muggles that would need to be obliviated if he pushed for a fight.

"Another day," he thought to himself. He turned and began barking at the other Aurors, berating them for not immediately recognizing the perimeter warding. Sending both teams of Ministry personnel back to the office with a cryptic comment about an ongoing Unspeakable operation, he stepped inside the restaurant.

After a quick threat assessment he sat down at the counter and asked a waitress for a cup of tea.

"Well," he said to himself, "At least this time the Boy picked a meeting place that has both types of plumbing."

+++

Later that afternoon, Hermione Granger attended a meeting in the Prime Minister's office, along with the new Home Secretary, both the MI-5 and MI-6 Chiefs, and a recording secretary. The only agenda item was that morning's action.

The MI-5 Chief began by reciting known facts. At 9:30am that morning, a Mrs. Evelyn Hawthorne, a thirty-four year old mother of three from Hampstead Garden, calmly walked into a NatWest branch on Golders Green Road and, after patiently waiting her turn at a teller's window, attempted to rob the bank at gun point. The bank teller, after wetting his trousers, made the startling observation that the gun being held to his face had a plug solid barrel. He alertly called for help, and bank security apprehended the woman before she could exit the building.

The Yard investigators that arrived at the scene were puzzled by the fact that the suspect made no attempt to hide her face, or wear a disguise. While there had been other criminals that had displayed this kind of brazenness/stupidity, none that they could recall had done so and chosen to rob their own personal bank. In addition, the "gun" she had used turned out to be a solid piece of metal, with no working parts (much less bullets).

But perhaps most puzzling was her freely offered (and unique) motive:

"Because a very nice man asked me to."

Mrs. Hawthorne had no criminal record, and was described by her neighbors as an intelligent, polite and outgoing person who frequently volunteered her time at church. She had no apparent financial issues, and obviously didn't fit any of the standard profiles.

On the day previous, MI-5 ¾ had made arrangements with Scotland Yard to be immediately notified of any bank robbery attempts, particularly those involving criminals dressed in odd clothing or black robes and white masks. While the woman's clothing was relatively normal (if a bit dated), the other facts in the case warranted a phone call, and within thirty minutes of the attempt MI-5 ¾ arrived on scene and took command of the scene.

When the MI-5 Chief reached this point in the story, he asked Hermione to pick it up from there. With both her original and revised notes in front of her, she stood and said,

"The facts as they were first relayed to us suggested the possibility that Mrs. Hawthorne had been magically coerced into the attempt. This, by the way, has been confirmed by sources within the Ministry of Magic. On the chance that the wizard or witch responsible might still be at or near the scene I immediately apparated to the site."

"Apparated?" asked the new Home Secretary.

"Erm…I used magic to travel near-instantaneously from my office here at 10 Downing Street to the crime scene. Once there I anchored the badge-jump of Agent Potter and two other MI-5 ¾ agents."

"Badge-jump?"

"A different means of magical transportation that allows the twelve Order of Arthur members to come to the aid of each other."

"Were you in need of aid?"

Hermione shrugged her shoulders. "Had there been Death Eaters in the area, then yes. But as a practical matter, it's much easier to badge travel to a location that you've never been to before, and the two agents were muggles, and therefore unable to apparate."

"But you didn't badge-travel, right?" asked the Home Secretary.

"Erm, no, I apparated. It's not impossible to apparate using only a coordinate set, just more difficult."

"Let her get on with the story, Mr. Chisholm," asked the MI-6 chief.

Hermione waited for an exchange of stares between the two men before continuing. "My three colleagues immediately established a perimeter around and above the bank entrance while I entered to examine Mrs. Hawthorne's weapon. Diagnostic spells indicated that there was magical residue on the object, so I used Finite Encantatum and discovered that the gun was, in fact, a transfigured stainless steel fork."

"What did you say you did?" the Home Secretary asked.

Hermione smiled. "I cast Finite Encantatum…it's a magical spell that stops currently operating spell effects. For example, I used it during yesterday's briefing to end the demonstration you demanded as proof that magic exists."

"Pity, that," the Prime Minister interjected (rather jovially). "I thought that flying pig of yours was doing a rather nice job singing Gilbert and Sullivan."

"Thank you," Hermione replied with a smile.

"Would you be able to do the same sort of trick with a fork?" asked a skeptical Home Secretary.

Hermione looked towards the Prime Minister for guidance. After getting a nod of approval she drew her wand. Not seeing a fork in the immediate area, she looked down at the Prime Minister's desk and asked, "Would that stapler do?"

When the Home Secretary gave a noncommittal shrug Hermione gathered her thoughts and then cast her spell. The others in the room marveled as the stapler slowly melted, morphed and reformed into a handgun. Once Hermione lowered her wand and gave an all-clear, the MI-5 Chief reached over for a closer look.

"A P226?" he asked.

"Yes, sir."

Finding what appeared to be the magazine release, he popped open the box and examined the individual bullets as he handed the gun over to his colleague. Letting out a low whistle he then asked, "And .357 cartridges, as well?"

"Erm…that was what I was aiming for, sir."

The MI-5 Chief passed the cartridge over to his colleague, who reloaded it and began playing with the release.

"Will this handgun fire, Agent Granger?" he asked.

Hermione chewed on her lower lip. "I'm not sure, sir, and quite frankly wouldn't want to be the one to find out."

The MI-6 Chief looked up and smiled as he carefully placed the handgun back onto the desk. "Perhaps, then, it might be more useful in its original state?"

Hermione nodded as she raised her wand and cancelled out the transfiguration.

The Prime Minister, who had been almost beaming with enthusiasm at this display, asked, "Dame Hermione, why is it that your transfigured handgun was so much more realistic than the one used at the crime scene?"

Hermione's ears turned a bit red, and she paused before responding. "There are probably a couple of different reasons why, sir. First, it's easier to transfigure objects that are similar in size, weight and material."

"And the stapler was closer in weight and size to a handgun?"

"Yes, sir," Hermione replied. "Second, it's much easier to get a realistic transfiguration if you are familiar with the target object."

The Home Secretary smiled. "And just how would a pretty young lady such as yourself be familiar with a gun like that?"

This time, it was towards the MI Chiefs that Hermione turned for a visual cue. When they both smiled and nodded, she slowly reached inside her jacket, carefully pulled out a weapon, and said, "I am authorized to carry the exact same handgun."

Surprised, the Home Secretary asked, "Mind if I take a look?"

Hermione shrugged her shoulders, then checked the safety, popped open the cartridge, and handed both pieces across the desk. The Home Secretary, who was well versed in military weaponry, took particular interest in the bullets.

"These aren't standard issue, are they Miss Granger?"

"Erm, no sir," Hermione replied. "Custom-made silver points."

The Home Secretary frowned. "That's quite a weapon, why not something smaller?"

"Because, sir, lycanthropes have thick hides."

"Lycanthropes?" asked the Home Secretary.

"Werewolves, you idio…erm, Mr. Chisholm," said the MI-5 Chief (remembering that he did, in fact, report to the Home Secretary). He then turned to Hermione and asked, "Agent Granger, what inferences can be made if firearm familiarity was the main factor for Mrs. Hawthorne's play gun?"

Hermione nodded. "That would suggest that the wizard who transfigured the fork didn't know much about muggle firearms."

"Should we be surprised?"

"Not really, sir, unless it was a muggle-born witch or wizard who cast the spell."

"And Death Eaters tend not to be muggle-borns, correct?"

"That would be an understatement, sir," Hermione replied.

The Home Secretary returned the gun and magazine box to Hermione. After reloading the magazine, she slipped the gun back inside her jacket. This action caught the Home Secretary's attention (if forced to confess, he would have admitted that his eyes had been drawn to a hint of Hermione's cleavage).

"Agent Granger, how is it that you can carry that hefty gun under your jacket without giving your tailor fits?"

Hermione (after once again gaining silent permission) opened up her jacket. As if there was a gun-sized cavity within her chest, she reached into the one eighth-inch thick magical holster that lay flat against her shirt and smoothly pulled her weapon.

"Magic," she replied with a smile.

The Prime Minister once again berated the Home Secretary for getting Hermione's story off-track, and asked her to continue. Hermione told them that a few minutes after she examined the toy weapon the first team of Aurors arrived at the scene. It only took a few more minutes for her to summarize their actions from that point up to Harry's meeting with Mad-Eye.

"Once Agent Potter explained what had happened to Retired Auror Moody, the three of us made a visual and magical sweep of the area for potential magical threats. Finding none, we returned situational control to the Yard and left to write-up our reports."

The Prime Minister thanked Hermione, then asked for her opinion on what had happened. She told them that, based on the gathered evidence, she believed that a Death Eater cast an Imperious spell on Mrs. Hawthorne, gave her the fake weapon, and then ordered her to rob the bank, with intentions to have her turn the money over to him. She then linked this to that morning's report that three separate attempts had been made to access frozen Death Eater bank accounts using ATM machines. Finally, she concluded that the Death Eaters and Lord Voldemort were low on funds and needed some cash.

"Why didn't they try to rob a wizard bank?" the Prime Minister asked.

Hermione smiled. "They probably thought their chances were better on our side, as there has never been a successful theft from a wizard bank," she replied.

"Why is that?"

Hermione paused, and decided to risk a little cheekiness. "Probably has something to do with the guard trolls and dragons."

When the Prime Minister wondered out loud why more wizards hadn't tried to steal from muggle banks, Hermione noted that there had been one successful attempt (that, unfortunately, they only had learned about that morning). She also added that Agent Potter was presently meeting with his contacts within the Ministry of Magic, as he had voiced the exact same question.

The new Home Secretary, who had been aware of the wizarding world for all of a day, asked Hermione, "Why do wizards need money in the first place? Can't they conjure up their own food, clothes and lodging?"

Hermione nodded, and replied, "Magic does go a long way, Mr. Home Secretary." She used utility bills as the prime example, with wizard households using magic to replace electricity, magic to heat and cool their homes…even for water and sewer service. She told them that transportation costs were minimal; most wizard buildings were connected to the floo network, which only has a small monthly subscription fee, and floo powder was pretty cheap.

"Just how cheap?" asked the Home Secretary.

"Erm…don't know actual costs, since I'm not a homeowner, but I do know that it only costs five sickles to use a public floo."

"Five sickles? How much is that?"

Hermione paused. "Well, the current exchange rate is about five pounds to the galleon, and there are seventeen sickles to a galleon and twenty-nine knuts to a sickle, but then there are also conversion fees based on transaction amounts, and other factors…"

"Maybe it would be easier to compare it to something used in both worlds?" suggested the Prime Minister

"Oh, well, that makes sense," Hermione replied. "Let's see…with five sickles you could either buy a pint of ale at the Leaky Cauldron, or a triple-scoop ice cream cone at Fortescue's."

"Ah, beer," the MI-6 Chief noted, "the universal currency."

"And just how far can you travel for the price of a pint?" asked the Prime Minister.

"It's a flat fee," Hermione replied. "You can travel anywhere within the domestic floo network"

"So you could commute to work from Edinburgh to London for just a few quid?"

Hermione nodded. "Less, actually, if you were using your private connection rather than a public one."

"Amazing," said the Home Secretary.

"So I've found most of what I've learned of the wizarding world to be," noted the Prime Minister. He then said, "Which brings us back to the original question…why do wizards need to work, and why would Death Eaters need to rob banks?"

Hermione paused, then cast her eyes downward as she admitted, "I'm sorry, Mr. Home Secretary, but I'll need to get back to you if you want a definitive answer. Economics isn't an elective at Hogwarts, and not a subject that I have studied."

The Home Secretary frowned. "Seems like a relatively simple question, Agent Granger."

The Prime Minister scowled a bit at his newest Minister before turning to give Hermione a reassuring smile. "My apologies, Dame Hermione. I'm afraid that Sir Edmund and the rest of us must take care to remember that you are not just a teen-aged student, but one that has only been part of the wizarding world for, what…five years?"

"Six, Mr. Prime Minister." Hermione replied quietly.

"Right, then," the Prime Minister said. "Perhaps you can tell us something about what wizards do spend their money on, besides ice cream and beer."

Hermione looked up and nodded, as she paused just long enough to put together what she hoped was a coherent response. "The shops in Diagon Ally generally sell books, robes, magical objects and animals, and potions ingredients. Only the most powerful witches and wizards can conjur meals that has any nutritional content, so I guess that they also have to buy their own food."

"Let's start with that list, then," the MI-6 Chief said. "What sorts of magical objects would these terrorists be interested in buying?"

Hermione was starting to respond when an idea struck. "Excuse, me gentlemen, but I just realized that I know a few people who are much better positioned to answer that question. Would you like me to see if they are available?"

"Who are they, and how long would it take for them to join us?"

"They are rather successful businessmen with a shop in Diagon Alley." Hermione turned to the MI chiefs and added, "It's the Weasley twins…you might have heard about their visit to headquarters?"

Four eyebrows arched up as the MI-5 and MI-6 Chiefs sat back a bit in their chairs. The MI-6 Chief then replied, "So long as they promise not to blow anything up or turn us into canaries…"

The MI-5 Chief added, and turned towards the Prime Minister. "Fred and George Weasley are wizards and Order of Arthur members that have been collaborating with MI- 5¾'s Q Branch…quite brilliant, and relatively harmless, so long as Dame Hermione keeps them on a short leash."

Hermione smiled. "That I will. They also can be with us presently, if you wished."

The Home Secretary sported a puzzled look. "I thought I read somewhere that this building was protected from wizards popping up out of nowhere."

Hermione nodded, then replied, "Mr. Home Secretary, I designed, installed and control the protective wards. I can change them to allow certain people to apparate in and out." She then unbuttoned her suit jacket to reveal the badge that was fixed to the inside lining. "But to answer more directly, as members of the Order of Arthur, Fred and George can by-pass anti-apparition wards by badge-jumping."

The Prime Minister looked around the table, and seeing no objections gave Hermione a curt nod. After a brief badge-call and assurances that he'd play nice, Fred Weasley badge-jumped into the meeting, wearing dragonhide gloves and an apron that were both covered in a thick green fluid. The noxious clouds of gas coming off of this liquid was sufficient to set off the room's smoke detectors and automatic sprinklers.

"Fred!" Hermione exclaimed as she quickly pulled out her wand. "Get rid of that goo!"

As he was protected by a bubblehead charm, the look of shock on the Weasley Twin's face was readily visible. He immediately badge-jumped back to the shop, leaving Hermione behind to deal with the mess. She cast a bubble-head charm on herself, then banished the visible cloud of gas that was left behind. She then turned to cast bubble-heads on the Prime Minister and others, only to discover that they had taken matters into their own muggle hands and were all wearing emergency full-face respirators.

At that moment Kingsley Shacklebolt and two muggle security agents burst into the room with weapons drawn. The Auror quickly assessed the situation, then used a freezing-spell to ice over the sprinkler system's output. He then told the muggle agents to see that the sprinkers were shut-down; once they left, he helped Hermione magically dry out the office and its occupants.

After many apologies and assurances that Fred really was on their side (Auror Shacklebolt offered his recommendation somewhat tentatively), Hermione asked a contrite Order of Arthur member to return to the meeting room, this time wearing regular robes (as much as lime green and yellow checkered robes could be considered "regular). When the MI-5 Chief asked for an explanation, Fred said that he had been working on an experimental potion that would allow someone to see through glamour charms and disillusionment spells.

The MI-6 Chief thought for a moment, and then asked, "So you are trying to create a magical potion to do what we non-magicals can already do with our camera equipment?"

"Erm, yes, I guess so," said a rather bemused wizard. Fred in turn, asked what the gas masks were for, and was impressed with the their utility as "replacements" for magic.

"I dare say this shows just how much there is to know about each other worlds," commented the Prime Minister.

Giving Fred a curt expression, the Home Secretary added, "As well as the dangers involved in moving from one world to the other."

Hermione took this comment as a stinging rebuke and looked down at her folded hands. "Once again, I apologize, Mr. Home Secretary," she said. "But please don't blame Fred for the accident. I was the one who asked him here to help me."

"Dame Hermione, again, you are too self-critical," the Prime Minister gently chided. "I for one, recognize and appreciate the willingness of you and your magical colleagues to provide assistance to Her Majesty's Government. You are trying to chart an unknown course between our two worlds, and there are bound to be bumps along the way."

"Thank you, Mr. Prime Minister," Hermione replied.

"It's Tony, right?" he asked, using some of the charm that helped make him such a brilliant politician.

"Yes, Mr., erm…Tony."

Fred then was asked to give an off-the-cuff lesson not just on wizard world economics, but on the very nature of magic itself. He explained that potion ingredients couldn't be magically created, and needed to be either grown, caught or gathered. Similarly, most magical objects like wands and brooms could only be created by skilled craftsmen, using proprietary or complex spells developed over lengthy apprenticeships. This dove-tailed into a description of the Weasley's business ventures, and in particular their now booming business selling shield-charmed cloaks and hats. Hermione explained that there were large variations in magical skill and power with the wizard population, and that the reasons for the Weasley Twins' financial success lie more in their wizarding skills than their business acumen.

The Home Secretary took all this in, and then asked, "So, Agent Granger, in terms of power and ability, just how would you rank yourself and the other magicals working for us?"

As Hermione stuttered, Fred answered for her. "Hermione here would be way too modest to answer properly, so let me say that she is, far and away, the brightest witch in our generation."

"Oh, Fred, stop it," Hermione chided.

"It's true, and you know it, Hermione," Fred replied. He then turned to the others and asked, "Do any of you have any idea on just how unique the warding is for this building?"

When nobody chose to respond, Fred continued, "They are without a doubt the best you can buy right now, and I should know because we just paid a cauldron full of galleons to have them installed on our shop."

"Fred?" Hermione asked. "Why did you pay the goblins to…"

"Because we needed to pay them so that they could pay you," Fred replied with a smile. For the others' benefits he explained that Hermione had invented attenuated wards, and had licensed the goblins to sell and install them within the wizarding world. He then asked,

"Just how much did you charge to ward this building and the Queen's property?"

Hermione shrugged. "Nothing…just part of our jobs."

Fred nodded. "Thought so," he said.

The MI-6 Chief asked what the cost would have been.

Fred did some mental math, then replied, "Well, I only know about this building, Windsor, Buckingham and Cumberland. Assuming the goblins gave you the preferred customer discount, roughly two-hundred and fifty thousand Galleons."

"More than a million pounds sterling?" asked a skeptical Home Secretary.

Hermione chewed on her lip for a moment, and then reluctantly nodded.

"And that's just a bit of her brilliance," Fred claimed. "Let's see, who else…of course there's Harry."

"You mean the Queen's Wizard?" asked the Home Secretary.

"Yes, as well Lord Gryffindor," added the MI-6 chief.

"And an MI agent," said the MI-5 chief.

"Not to mention Clan Chief, Patriarch, Tri-Wizard Champion and Teen Witches Weekly's 'Most Snoggable Wizard' three years running," said Fred (causing Hermione to blush a bit).

"So he has a lot of titles," said the Home Secretary. "Is he a leader? Can he fight?"

Hermione's firm grip on Fred's elbow was needed to keep the rather irate Weasley from drawing his wand. "Can he fight?" Fred bellowed. "Can he fight?" he said again, this time with more amazement in his voice.

"Harry successfully fought and rescued Hermione from a troll his first year of school. At the time, he was eleven years old, four-foot nothing and five stone only if he was wearing really wet robes. Second year he saved my sister's life by killing a forty-foot basilisk with a sword. Third year he was casting a Patronus spell, fourth year he fought a dragon, dueled the Dark Lord to a draw, fifth year he led Hermione, my brother and sister, and three other teens in a successful fight against a dozen of the most powerful Death Eaters alive, and then Voldemort again, and….Hermione have I missed any Dark Creatures?"

Hermione smiled. "You mean besides Umbridge?"

Fred and Hermione shared a laugh (in spite of themselves), as the Prime Minister spoke up.

"Mr. Chisholm," he said with a clipped tone of voice. "You should know that this issue was raised by the previous Home Secretary, just a few moments before he was sacked. Both Her Majesty and I have every confidence in Dame Hermione, Lord Gryffindor and their colleagues." He paused for effect, then snarked, "Although we might have cause to reconsider Mr. Weasley and his green goo."

As Hermione snorted quietly to herself, the Prime Minister continued. "You have been briefed on the Battle of Ascot, as well as the actions by Treasury yesterday that no doubt led to this morning's events. They have earned their titles and our trust, and if you aren't on board then let me know now so that I can go shopping for another Home Secretary."

Home Secretary Chisholm sat back and sucked in a breath. "No need, Mr. Prime Minister, and I apologize…I was only looking for information." He then apologized to Fred and Hermione and contritely added, "I guess the notion that we have teenagers running this operation shouldn't be any more surprising than the finding out about the wizarding world itself."

Hermione replied with a nod and slight smile. "No worries, sir."

"Right, we've beaten this dead horse enough," said the Prime Minister. "Dame Hermione, would it be possible for you to look into possible motives for these robberies and report back? I'm also interested in any protective measures that we can use to guard muggle financial institutions from magical attack"

"Of course, Mr. Prime Minister," Hermione replied. "Should I start right away, or am I needed for the balance of the meeting?"

The Prime Minister looked down at his agenda. "No, I think that we've got things covered here." He then looked up and gave Hermione a warm smile. "And if something does come up, I do have your mobile number on speed dial."

Hermione choked down an "eep!" and reminded the Prime Minister to call Wally or Steve is she was "out of range."

Deciding that Gringott's might be the best place to conduct her research, she called Harry, asked him to meet her at the Twins's shop, then badge-jumped with Fred back to Diagon Ally. As soon as they arrived, Fred asked why the Prime Minister rode horses, and what was to be gained by beating dead ones.

5:00pm
Gringott's, Diagon Ally

After listening to Clan Chief Potter and his Consort describe the day's events, Ragnok the Goblin sat back in his office chair and placed his fingertips together in thought.

"These are troubling events," he decided, "with implications for both of your enemies."

"Both, Clan Chief?" Harry asked.

The Goblin Chief smiled a toothy smile. "Well, perhaps it is more appropriate to identify the current wizard government as your adversary."

Harry nodded, and then said, "As I consider Head Auror Robards more friend than enemy, I was surprised to find him so reluctant to discuss this morning's attempted bank robbery."

"As well he should, my friend," Ragnok replied. "It might have led to a discussion on why the Ministry of Magic failed to report the somewhat more successful robbery two weeks ago."

Having gone far past the point where Hermione had to worry about directly addressing the Goblin chief, she asked, "May I ask how you know about that robbery, as well as why and to whom the Ministry needed to report?"

The Goblin replied, "We have learned that on the day following that bank robbery, an attempt was made to exchange the stolen and soiled pound notes for Galleons at a money changers in Knockturn Ally."

"Soiled?" asked Harry.

The Goblin nodded. "The bag of money that was handed over to the thieves had an exploding pack of blue ink within it."

Harry asked, "Why didn't the Death Eater just Scourgify the money?"

Ragnok smiled an even larger and toothier smile. "They no doubt tried, but the ink is derived from a goblin dye that is magically resistant."

Hermione nodded. "So the Goblin nation helps the muggle financial industry to protect their assets."

Nodding, the Goblin replied, "We help them protect not only their assets, but also our own. We are heavily invested in the muggle world, as the Ministry of Magic bars goblins from investing in wizard business."

"That makes sense," Harry replied. "If I might ask, did you act on this information?"

"Indirectly," Ragnok replied. "Voldemort was sent a message warning him not to make future attempts against muggle banks."

"Might I ask what type of message?"

"A goblin howler, delivered inside the mouth of the severed head of the money changer that the Death Eaters tried to do business with."

While Hermione was taken aback, Harry whistled, and had to confess just a bit of admiration for the directness of approach. Neither asked how the Goblins delivered the message, respecting their ally's need to keep certain secrets to himself.

"Guess this morning shows he didn't think too much about the warning," Harry noted.

"Indeed," Ragnok replied. "The Grand Goblin Council currently debating how to develop a warning that he will be forced to heed."

Harry nodded, then asked, "And you said that the Ministry is required to report this type of theft?"

Ragnok nodded. "By treaty they must report any attempt by a wizard to steal from a muggle bank within their borders. It must be made less than three days of its occurrence, whether it is successful or not."

"Whom do they report to?"

"The International Confederation of Wizards," Ragnok replied.

"Because of secrecy concerns?" Hermione asked.

"Exactly," said the goblin. "It is one of the key indicators that a wizard government is failing to police its own citizenry, and to uphold their joint obligation to preserve the magical world's secrets."

Harry thought for a moment, and then asked, "That's because the muggles would be keen to figure out just how their banks were being robbed, right?"

Hermione nodded. "And there would be enough c-mugs out there to provide answers." She then asked Ragnok, "Are there sanctions involved?"

Ragnok nodded. "More than three attempts within a one-year period is cause for international intervention."

"You mean other wizard governments would take control of the Ministry?" asked Harry.

"Not necessarily," Ragnok replied. "First would come a intensive audit of Ministry practices and personnel. Only if that audit showed more than a tolerable amount of corruption, or if the robbery attempts continued, would the Ministry lose its authority to rule."

"I can see why the Ministry might be tempted to underreport, then," said Harry. He then asked, "How often does this sort of intervention happen?"

"Rarely" said the Goblin. "We goblins have Gringott's branches in nearly every wizard country, and our warnings are usually enough to keep the criminal elements in line."

Harry nodded, and then asked "So what do you suggest we do?"

Ragnok paused for a moment, and then replied, "Tell the muggle Prime Minister that the goblins are working on the problem, and warn them that there may be some changes at the Ministry of Magic in the near future."

Harry and Hermione stood and offered their thanks for Ragnok's valuable time. Just before they left his office, Hermione remembered her assignment from the Prime Minister.

"One last question, Clan Chief?"

"Of course."

"Do you have any idea why Voldemort is so desperate for cash?"

Ragnok smiled. "We understand that since the attack on the Ministry there has been a run on, and resulting extreme shortage of, certain types of potion ingredients."

"Which types of potion ingredients?" Harry asked.

The goblin replied with a toothy grin.

"Those typically required for the healing of battlefield wounds."

+++

10:30pm
Soho, London

If glamour charms could accurately reflect the underlying condition of the wizard that wore them, then Lucius Malfoy would have looked like a mess as he walked the streets of muggle London.

The failed robbery attempt was a complete and utter disaster. He thought that he had covered all contingencies, having used a generic black-market wand to ensnare his muggle accomplice, then sped off in a muggle taxi before the Ministry could track down his use of the Unforgivable. He knew that muggles like to rob their own banks, so what was the risk that his involvement would be detected? Apparently more than he had anticipated, as he watched the foiled attempt from a safe distance.

Now, a charitable man might have forgiven Lucius, and blamed his poorly thought-out plans on the lingering effects of too many Cruciatus.curses, held too long.

But his Lord was neither a man, nor forgiving.

The best he could hope for was that the Ministry's self-protection skills would kick in, and that it would once again fail to report the robbery attempt. It was too much to hope that the Goblins wouldn't find out, though, which is why he now found need to provide ransom not just for his life, but for those of his wife and son.

In retrospect, he should have raided his emergency funds from the start, and depleted the cache before attempting more risky means of satisfying his Master. But emergency funds were just that…for emergencies, and so long as that infernal money machine was spitting out pound notes he had been fine.

A hundred thousand galleons in gold, fifty thousand pounds sterling, two dozen large uncut diamonds and an assortment of precious jewelry were waiting for him in a place that only he could recall visiting once he left. Lucius sighed, and once more wished that he could have escaped his Master's reach, and that he could hide in the safety of his Patriarchal suite. But the Dark Lord's reach was far, and his mark most insistent when it burned in need of his attendance.

As he approached The Rookery, the elder Malfoy recalled far happier visits, when the streets of Soho were filled with muggle wenches, and those he could make so against their will. He briefly considered seeking more of that kind of company, before realizing that he would be too tired to enjoy a warmer bed. Malfoy was, in fact, too tired to notice that he was being watched as he entered the building and took the lift up to his private floor. Not that he would have cared, having come to rely upon the anonymity of his glamour charm.

A quick lift trip was followed by a quick meal and reassuring check that his stash was still there for the taking. Deciding that a good night's sleep in a warm bed was worth the risk of delaying his return to Voldemort, he shed his clothes and crawled under the silk sheets of his four-poster bed.

His sleep was more fitful than good.

His dreams would have been worse, though, had he been aware of the calls that had gone out and the plans that were being made on the city streets below.