Unofficial Portkey Archive

Coming To Salem by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Coming To Salem

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

AN: So I work, I study for Uni, I like reading others fictions and would also like some kind of life off of my laptop. I think you know what I'm trying to say lol. Life has been hectic, hectic, hectic, and unfortunately the fantastic readers have to suffer. I love writing, I really do, but sometimes I just need a break. There is no way I would write chapters for any of my stories if my whole heart wasn't into it, which is why there is such a long gap in updates sometimes. I apologise for that and hope that most of you can understand. Also, writers block is one of the worst things! I know where my stories go, but getting them there is completely different.

You are the best reviewers an author can have, so thank you so much for bearing with me. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Coming to Salem

Chapter 13

****

Harry and Hermione returned to Gryffindor the next day. They were able to tell Harry's parents that the Grangers now knew about their relationship as well as their plans to marry, and that the wedding arrangements could now be given the go ahead.

"Well that's wonderful news," Queen Lily said in delight. "How did they take it dear?"

Hermione remembered how her father had acted and decided to leave that particular part out. "It went about as well as could be expected."

Harry grinned at his fiancée's diplomacy. "It went fine, mother. At least that part is now out of the way."

"Does this mean that you are now happy for us to announce your engagement?" King James asked hopefully.

Harry and Hermione glanced at each other and smiled. "Yes," they replied simultaneously.

"Good," James said happily. "We shall announce it first thing in the morning."

This caused Hermione to get the butterfly feeling in the pit of her stomach. Tomorrow and she would be known to the entire wizarding world. Her life was going to change even more radically than it already had, as every witch and wizard was going to want to know everything about the woman that had stolen the heart of their prince.

Harry saw that Hermione's mind was elsewhere and put an arm around her shoulder comfortingly. "Are you alright darling?"

"Yes," she smiled, shaking the daunting thoughts from her head. "Of course."

"It's alright to be nervous," Harry told her soothingly. "But you should know that the whole kingdom is going to love you."

"I wish I was so sure," she said quietly.

"Hermione, you should know by now just what an amazing effect you have on people," Harry told her proudly.

Before Hermione could say anything, Queen Lily spoke. "I can vouch for that dear."

"As can I?" King James added with a wink.

"See," Harry nudged her playfully. "You have nothing to worry about."

Hermione immediately felt better after all three royals assured her that she would be fine. She just wanted to make them proud, especially Harry, and herself of course. Becoming the princess of Gryffindor was a huge task that was full of responsibility, but like everything else in her life, Hermione was determined to be successful in her role.

****

The next day the announcement was made, and in true royal fashion created media frenzy, around Gryffindor and the world. As soon as the kingdom found out that a bride had been found for their prince, crowds started to gather outside the palace grounds soon after, in a hope to catch a glimpse of their future queen.

Hermione had not long woken up. She had been served breakfast in her room, which if she was to be honest, she could get use to rather quickly. Hermione had never liked being waited on, even when she lived at home with her parents, but she could tell by the look on the maid's face who served her that morning, that the servant was only too happy with her job. She had noticed that about everyone who worked in the palace, they all walked around with smiles on their faces, all completely content with their roles. But then, she didn't imagine that you get much better employers than King James and Queen Lily. She hadn't known them long but she had already grown vey fond of them. It wasn't that surprising to her, seeing as how she had fallen in their love with their son within weeks.

After breakfast Hermione showered and dressed, but before going downstairs to join her future in-laws, she couldn't resist going over to the huge window in her guestroom. She loved the scenery in Gryffindor, everything was so green and hilly, and the rivers beyond glistened beautifully under the lustrous sun. Hermione's room had a spectacular view, as did all other rooms in the Gryffindor palace, but it was also very close to the palace wall.

But when she looked out the window, nothing could have prepared her for what she saw. Outside the grounds were hoards of people, as well as photographers, all waiting to get a shufti at her. They were all looking upwards towards the palace, seemingly hoping that she would be at a window at some stage. Sure enough, when she leant forward to take a better look at what was going on, a few camera flashes went off in her direction.

A small gasp escaped Hermione's lips, and she immediately backed away from the window. Her hand flew to her chest, she was sure that her heart had stopped for a couple of seconds.

Surely they weren't all there for her, were they?

"Good morning beautiful," a voice came from behind her, causing her to jump slightly. She hadn't heard anyone come in. Turning around, she found Harry standing inside her door.

"I'm sorry to disturb you," he said softly, closing the door as he came in. "I was wondering what was keeping you."

Hermione didn't speak. Instead, she looked over to the window and then back at him, hoping that he could read her silent question.

He did.

"So you've seen?" Harry enquired as he walked closer to her.

Hermione nodded slowly.

Harry saw that she was anxious, he wasn't expecting anything less, and took both her hands in his. "Are you alright?"

Hermione let out a breath, still trying to comprehend what she had just seen. "I don't know."

"It must have been quite a shock for you," Harry acknowledged. "I now wish that I had come to you before you woke, so that you would have been prepared."

"It's ok," she squeaked, tying to convince herself that it was.

Harry chuckled, and released one of her hands as he led her to the couch that was at the other side of her room. They sat down, and Harry started to stroke her fingers comfortably.

"I should have discussed with you the possibility of such a thing happening last night," he admitted. "I just didn't want you to worry any more than you already were."

"Why are they all...?"

"Outside?" Harry offered, to which Hermione nodded. "You."

"Me?" she gasped.

"Yes," Harry confirmed. "My parents and I weren't exactly expecting so many, but trust me when I tell you that you have nothing to worry about."

Hermione's mouth bobbed up and down. "But I-I...how do you...?"

"They're just desperate to see you," Harry smiled.

Hermione was flattered that the people outside were all there for her, but it also made her feel nervous. She was well aware that it was something that she had to use to though, sooner or later.

"W-w-hat happens now?" she stuttered.

"Whatever it is that you want to happen now," he answered simply. "There are a few members of the press waiting outside in the gardens, but, you don't have to do anything that you are not ready for."

"The press?" Hermione gasped.

"Don't worry," Harry said. "No tabloids allowed, especially the Daily Prophet."

"I remember that newspaper," Hermione told him. "Samantha always used to have it imported, you were her favourite subject growing up after all, and it covered stories on you on a daily basis."

"Yeah," Harry snorted. "Stories. Their leading reporter, well, lets just say that she has a habit of making things up about me, and everyone else for that matter."

Hermione had to feel sorry for him, that paper was one of the sources she'd based her assumptions of him on. It was very unlike Hermione to believe anything she read, in that paper particularly, but after what had happened at the palace years before she was only happy to agree with its claims. The claims suggested that Harry was a player, a severe womaniser who spent all of his time partying it up and being oblivious to anyone else's feelings, when in fact he was the complete opposite. It was amazing how wrong you could be about someone. But Hermione had to admit that back then, she was making decisions about him with a broken heart, not with her usual level head.

"It must be terrible to be judged by others for things that never actually took place," she said apologetically, she being one of those people in the past.

Harry noticed in her tone that Hermione still hadn't really forgiven herself for the way she had perceived him before, without even knowing him. He decided to try and lighten the situation. "Does it bother you that I'm, in fact, not that exciting?"

Hermione bit her lip and smiled. "It makes me happy beyond relief."

Harry chuckled, before his voice grew serious. "Hermione, I've had to deal with this kind of thing my whole life and it's become like a second nature to me. I know that it's always going to be there, I just choose to ignore it."

"How do you do it?" she asked amazed.

"By knowing that the only opinions in life of me, that are ever really going to matter are those of my friends, my family, and you."

The statement was for her benefit. He had to make Hermione aware, if she wasn't already, that some people in life would want to drag her down by making up stories. They would just be cruel to her and about her just for the kick, just as they did to Harry on occasions. It was part and parcel of being in the public eye of the wizarding world.

"Do you think I can handle it?" she asked timidly.

Harry squeezed her hand. "I don't think that there is anyone who is better equipped to. Plus, I will always be by your side, should you ever need me."

"I'll always need you," Hermione admitted quietly. It was something she never dreamed she'd ever say to anyone due to her overwhelming need to be independent, but she was quickly learning that even though she could stand on her own two feet, she would always need the man in front of her to function right from now on.

Harry raised a hand to cup his face. "You will always have me."

Hermione nuzzled her face further in his hand. "Then I feel as though I can handle just about anything."

"Good," Harry grinned, and then kissed her forehead. "Because I want to show you off to the entire wizarding world now."

****

Hermione soon agreed to meet with the selected members of press whom were waiting for them both at the back of the palace. The king and Queen had assured her that those who would be taking pictures of her and asking questions, were personally hand picked by them both, and that she would handle her first public appearance fine.

Queen Lily beamed with pride as she took in her son and her future daughter in -law. They looked so perfect together. "I'm so proud of you both for doing this."

"And you're sure ready for this Hermione?" King James asked kindly.

Hermione looked at Harry who winked at her, and then nodded. "I am."

Harry placed a supporting arm around her shoulders and led her through the hall towards the gardens. As they got closer to their destination Hermione's chest began to pound. She saw two servants, who each opened one of the huge doors that led to the grounds, and she was suddenly confronted with a series of flashes. She felt Harry squeeze her gently as they made their way down some steps and towards the press. Hermione counted in her head nine people in total, four women and five men. Each one had either a notepad or camera.

She glanced at Harry whom obviously saw this whole thing as water off of a ducks back. He looked so relaxed, but then, he had been doing this his whole life. It was clear that she was getting the most attention that morning, which was to be expected as it was her first appearance, so Hermione did the only thing that she could think of at that moment. She smiled.

After a few minutes of flashes going off here, there and everywhere, the questions started to come thick and fast.

"How do you feel your highness?" a question came for Harry.

"Very happy," he replied beaming at the witch beside him.

"Where did you meet your bride to be your highness?"

"In Salem," he answered.

"How does it feel to have captured the heart of our prince, Miss Granger?" a lady asked warmly.

"Surreal...at the moment," she replied honestly. "Like I'm dreaming almost."

"Happy though right, milady?" another reported shouted.

"Absolutely," she answered.

"When's the wedding?"

"To be decided as of yet," Harry replied. "Hopefully sooner rather than later."

"How did you propose, your highness?"

Harry looked at Hermione. "I'm afraid that's private." His answer caused a few chuckles to be heard.

It was going great and Hermione was glad that she had decided to go through with it. They all seemed like fair people and she was getting really into it, until one brave reporter asked a question that made the others gasp.

"And how does Cho Chang feel about all of this your highness?"

Hermione immediately looked at Harry, who amazingly shrugged it off with the same smile plastered on his face. "That is something that you'll have to ask her about."

The reporter who had asked the question just nodded and grinned as he scribbled on his pad.

"I think that's about all for today ok?" Harry said, bringing the session to an end. His arm that was wrapped around Hermione gently eased her around, and he led her back toward the palace, a chorus of `thank you for you time your highness' and `thank you my lady' could be heard as they finally disappeared from view.

"So," Harry started. "How do you feel?"

"Alright," Hermione replied.

"You sure?" Harry asked wanting to be sure.

"Of course."

Harry was about to say more when his parents approached. "Well?" the king and queen voiced together.

"She was fantastic," Harry told them proudly.

"Harry, I barely said anything," Hermione pointed out.

"But that's sometimes a good thing, Hermione," James told her. "It's not always about knowing what to say, as it is about knowing what not to say."

Lily nodded in agreement. "Any slips as such?"

"No," Harry replied. "Although, there was one unwelcome question."

"Which was?" King James raised his brows.

"About Cho," Harry answered.

Hermione looked a little uncomfortable with all this talk of Harry's ex-fiancée, something that didn't go unnoticed by his parents.

"Harry," Lily said gently. "Why don't you and Hermione go and spend some time alone? I can imagine that this has been a very...testing morning for Hermione shall we say, and it might do her good just to be in your company."

Hermione sent the queen a grateful smile at her suggestion and was thrilled when Harry offered her his arm.

"If that's ok with you sir?" Harry checked with his father.

"I wouldn't dare interfere with you mother's decisions my son," King James smirked. "It's not worth the backlash."

Lilly nudged her husband playfully. "You'll do well never to forget it."

Harry dipped his head slightly to his parents. "If you'll excuse us then?"

King James just nodded with a smile.

"Let's go," Harry gestured with his head for Hermione to walk with him.

She squeezed his waist firmly and allowed him to lead her further into the palace, then eventually up to his room.

****

When they got up to his room, Hermione immediately sat onto his bed, Harry joining her soon after closing the door behind them.

"Are you really ok?" he asked her gently.

"I'm fine," she responded quietly.

Harry wasn't entirely convinced. "You sound really sincere."

Hermione huffed a little at his sarcasm. "It's nothing really; it's just me being silly."

"Hermione, you do know that if there's anything that you wish to ask me about my life, no matter how personal you think it might be, you're now well within your rights to. You know that don't you?"

Hermione was quiet for a while, before she eventually looked up and deeply into his eyes. "Did you ever love her?"

Harry smiled, he knew that was coming. "No. But then, you already knew that."

Hermione suddenly felt guilty. He had told her before how much he disliked the girl they were discussing and she believed him, but she also knew that Cho had to have played some part in his life to have been engaged to him once. "Harry, I'm sorry. I don't know why I asked you that."

Harry leaned forward and leant his arms on his knees. "When I first saw Cho, I admit that there was a part of me that was attracted to her, but it was a part that tends to do most of the common male's thinking for them."

Hermione grinned and let him continue.

"I did court her for a while but trust me, it was a nightmare. I did what most adolescent boys do; I assumed that because she was attractive she'd have the personality to match."

"She didn't?"

"Not at all," Harry smiled, happy that he could joke about it now. "When I really began getting to know her, I started to think that maybe it was just one of those relationships you had to go through in life, in order to teach you just how different things can be in the future."

"But your parents, they arranged for her to be your wife. Why would they do that?" Hermione asked curiously.

"I was never really honest with them about my relationship with her, so I'm afraid that I have to take some responsibility for that."

"Would you have married her?" Hermione questioned him gently. "You know, if you hadn't met me when you did?"

Harry leant back and put his arm around her. "No."

"No?" Hermione raised her brows. "Then what would you have done?"

"I would have carried on looking for you," he replied simply.

Hermione raised a hand and tenderly stroked his face. "I love you."

"I love you too," he returned, then slowly pressed his lips to hers.

****

The next morning at breakfast, the king and queen were both engrossed with the front pages of the newspapers, both gushing at how good their son and soon to be daughter in law looked in the pictures.

"Oh James, they look so cute together!" Lily said excitedly as she scanned the front page, a picture of a beaming Harry and Hermione looking back at her. "Do you not think?"

James was too busy smiling at the moving picture he was engrossed in to reply to his wife. He just nodded instead.

"Hermione sure is photogenic," Lily added. "The camera obviously loves her."

This time James spoke. "It sure does, which of course is a good sign. She'll have to get use to them."

Remus walked into the room and was immediately ushered over by the queen. "Remus, come over here, you have to see this."

Remus walked over to the royals and peered at the newspaper Lily was holding. "Well, well, will you look at that? Harry finally all grown up."

Lilly got slightly teary and put her fingertips to her mouth. "My little boy is going to be a married man."

James looked at Remus and found him desperately trying not to laugh. He gently patted his wife's hand in order to comfort her a little. "Lily dear, we're planning his wedding, not his funeral."

"Oh of course you wouldn't understand," she sniffed, and took her hand from his. "Only a mother would know how I feel right now."

James rolled his eyes. "I thought you were ecstatic with his choice of a wife."

"Well of course I am," Lily said wiping away some tears. "No one in this world could be better suited to our boy than Hermione; it's just knowing that soon he won't be around like before."

"Lily, he could be living on a different planet, and a portkey would still bring him to us within seconds," James said.

Lily thought her husband was being quite insensitive and huffed dramatically. "I don't know why I bother."

Remus beat James to the punch. "May I try to be the voice of reason, ma'am?"

"Yeah right," James chuckled then put his paper aside. "This ought to be good."

Remus took a seat beside Lily. "Do you think it's possible that one is feeling a little threatened?"

"By whom?" Lily asked him as if he was mad. James looked on intrigued.

"Well, by Miss Granger," Remus replied in an obvious tone.

"Don't be ridiculous," Lily laughed at the absurdity. "Hermione is a lovely girl, why on earth would I feel threatened by such a sweet individual?"

"Because if you think about it, she will be stepping into the role that you have had for the last twenty one years of his life," Remus replied.

"Mmm," James tapped his chin. "I think you're on to something."

Lily stared at her husband. "Well I'm glad someone does because I have no idea what he's talking about."

"Oh I think you do," James said smugly. "Face it dear, you have babied him his whole life."

"I most certainly have not," Lily tried to argue. There was no point really, as it was a subject she would never win on. Ever since Harry was born, she had wrapped him in cotton wool in order to shield him from the evil of the world, and it was James that made her realise that that could be the worst thing for him. He needed to know how to stand on his own two feet and survive in the world by himself, should he have to. Lily never liked to admit it, but if it weren't for James' intervention in her over protectiveness of their son, she was sure that Harry wouldn't have been able to bring down the most evil wizard of their time.

"We have raised a fine young man, Lily," James told her soothingly. "And because he is able to take care of himself, he is now in a position to take care of the woman he loves."

Remus nodded in agreement. "And I can assure you that Miss Granger is perfectly capable of taking care of him."

"There you are, they'll take care of each other," James said smiling. "But what's even better, is that Hermione doesn't seem to be the kind of lady that will be willing to take orders so easily, especially from her future husband."

Lily managed a giggle. She witnessed how Hermione conducted herself around her, James and Harry, and she was impressed to say the least. The way in which her son's fiancée was handling the whole new world that she had been thrown into was nothing short of spectacular, and Lily couldn't help but see a bit of herself in the young witch. Lily knew that when James got on his high horse she would, the majority of the time, bring him crashing back down to earth. Hermione looked as if she would do the same for her son, she would keep Harry grounded when the bigger responsibilities came into his life, the biggest of all being a father and king. But more importantly Lily knew for certain that Hermione would love her son unconditionally, so, what more could she ask for? Nothing.

"They'll be fine Lily," James said in his soothing voice.

"Of course they will," Remus agreed.

"I know," Lily nodded. "And we can visit them regularly?"

"Of course," James smiled. "As they can us."

"Providing they don't want privacy for the first few months," Remus smirked. "Which they will if they're anything like you two were."

The two royals blushed furiously. It was rare occurrence but it did happen from time to time, usually because of something Remus said. James was about to scold him jokingly when Harry and Hermione entered the hall holding hands.

"Morning dears," Lily waved out, desperate to get out of the subject James and Remus were about to enter into.

"Good morning mother," Harry said as he approached their table. He gave his mother a quick kiss on the forehead and gave his father a short nod. "I slept great."

"And you my dear," Lily asked Hermione.

"Great too," she replied.

"Wonderful," his mother clasped her hands in delight. "Please do sit down and join us for breakfast this morning, we have much to discuss." Lily's emotional state changed instantly and she now happily begun conversation with both Harry and Hermione, who had just taken their seats across from the king and queen. "You must take a look at today's papers."

"Any good?" Harry asked as he scanned one of the paper's front pages. Hermione leaned into his side to get a look and saw a picture of them both smiling happily. "What do you think?" he asked nudging her playfully.

"I think we look pretty good," she replied sounding surprised.

Harry picked up on her tone. "You didn't think we would?"

"I knew you would."

"Why not you?" Harry asked seriously.

Hermione leaned back and smiled. "Harry, my nickname in school was `plain Jane'; I know what kind of girl I am."

Harry hated that no matter how beautiful he always told her she was to him, she still doubted it at times, which ultimately led to her putting herself down in some way. He was about to tell her that she couldn't have been more wrong, that she was gorgeous and made his body react in a way that no other had made him feel before. Upon looking up and seeing his parents regarding them intently, he decided to leave that particular conversation for later when they were alone.

For now, he put the paper aside and took one of her hands in his. "You're beautiful, and I don't want to hear you say otherwise, alright?"

Hermione just nodded and smiled at him.

Lily put a hand to her chest. "So romantic," she gushed and shook her head.

James cleared his throat. "Lily, I believe we have some important things to discuss."

"Yes!" she said, excitedly waving her hand in front of her son and his fiancée. "Harry, Hermione, how would you like to get married three weeks from today?"

Harry grinned at the idea and immediately glanced over to Hermione, whose eyes had widened in shock.

"T-t-three weeks from t-today?" she stuttered slightly.

The king and queen, along with Remus, nodded and smiled at them.

Harry frowned. "Is that a problem?"

Hermione's heart twitched when she saw his crestfallen face. "No of course not, it's just...rather fast...don't you think?"

"Well, I don't really see what the quandary is," Harry said honestly. "The whole world knows about us now including you parents, so what's the point in waiting?"

Hermione looked at him thoughtfully. "So you're ok with this?"

"I'd marry you tomorrow if I could," he replied quietly. It would have sounded even sweeter to her if he didn't look so upset. "Hermione, you are sure that this is what you want...aren't you?"

"Of course I am!" Hermione told him resolutely. "You know I am!"

Harry looked relieved and then apologetic. "I'm sorry... I'm just being selfish. I know that all this has been difficult for you."

"Harry, you're not being selfish," Hermione said softly. "And this is not difficult, it's just taking a little time to get use to all of this, that's all." She stroked his hand tenderly as she continued. "I am starting to get use to the fact that things in this family...move fast."

"Hermione--," Harry was cut off by his fiancée.

"I want to marry you," she said determinedly. "I've never been surer of anything in my life. And if your parents would like us to get married three weeks from today and you're ok with that, then so am I."

"Really?" he smiled widely.

"Yes."

Harry leaned in and gently kissed her forehead, he was overjoyed that she agreed with the date that his parents suggested. He pulled back and leant his forehead against hers.

James coughed loudly, but Harry and Hermione wouldn't tear their eyes away from each other. "So," the king said. "Is there going to be a wedding three weeks from today?"

Harry and Hermione gazed at each other and smiled widely.

Grinning madly, Lily put her hand on her husband's. "That means yes dear."

****

Next chapter is the last! And I mean it this time lol. Do let me know, although I won't be able to please everyone, if there is anything particular that you would like me to write into the next chapter.

Please review! Thanks guys!

-->