Unofficial Portkey Archive

Coming To Salem by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Coming To Salem

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

AN: Hi, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update, I've had so much going on and I'm still trying to deal with personal issues as well as staring university. I've always said I will never abandon my stories and I wont, it will just take me a little more time than usual to post chapters. I hope this doesn't deter people from reading.

Also, thank you so much to those who continue to review, your words continue to make me want to write. If at least 90% of you are happy with what you read, then I'm pleased as punch! Also, thanks for the well wishes, it's nice to know people care. On with the story!!

Coming To Salem

Chapter Six

****

King James and Queen Lilly were in the middle of breakfast when Remus, walked into the palace's dining hall carrying a small envelope.

"Is that from Harry?" Lily asked Remus hopefully. "We haven't heard from him in over a week."

"I'm afraid not, Lilly," Remus replied. "Although Mr Weasley's owl delivered this this morning."

James took the letter from his friends hand. "Hmm, well lets see what he has to say for himself."

Remus and Lily watched as James opened the letter, and began to read. Lily noticed the look of confusion begin to show on her husbands face, and comfortingly put a hand on his arm.

"Is everything alright, James?" Lily enquired.

James handed his wife the letter. "Tell me what you think."

Lily took the letter, and began to read it out loud. "To King James Potter, noble ruler of Gryffindor. Sire, Harry and I, are both enjoying our trip. So much so that we have run out of funds quicker than we thought. Please send 100,000, galleons, as we are now in dire straits. Your loyal subject, Ron Weasley."

Remus raised his eyebrows. "That's strange. We gave them 200,000 galleons to take with them."

"Something funny is going on here," James said out loud.

"Do you think they're in some kind of trouble?" Lily asked worried.

"Of course not dear," James told his wife soothingly. "I'd prefer to use the word mischief."

****

"So, James, what made you come to Salem of all places?" Hermione's father questioned.

Harry, Hermione and her parents were all sitting around the dinning table having just finished dinner.

"To find your daughter," Harry thought. "Being a wizard, I thought the name of the place to be a very interesting one at that."

"So you came to study here, purely because you liked the name of the place?" Mr. Granger asked disbelievingly.

"Yes, Sir," Harry replied quietly.

"That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard," Mr. Granger said flatly.

"John!" his wife scolded. "Leave the poor boy alone."

Hermione threw a hard look at her mother when she mentioned the word 'Poor'.

"James, I apologize," Mrs. Granger said softly. "I didn't mean to imply…"

"Mrs. Granger, please," Harry interrupted gently. "It's fine, really."

There were a few moments of silence before Mrs. Granger spoke again. "So, Hermione tells me you went to Hogwarts."

"That's right," Harry smiled.

Hermione's mother sipped her wine and smiled. "I don't think Hermione, has ever forgiven us for moving when she was younger, she was desperate to attend the school herself."

Harry looked beside him at where Hermione was sitting, and grinned at her. "She mentioned that."

"Whatever, things worked out the way they were supposed to in the end," John said emotionless.

Hermione narrowed her eyes at her father. "And just how do you work that one out?"

"Oh come on Hermione," John laughed bitterly. "You remember who went to that school don't you? The boy who didn't even have to come face to face with you to make you crawl into a hole for five months."

Harry squirmed in his seat, no matter where he went or what conversation he had lately, the subject always seemed to involve him. Oblivious to what was going through Harry's mind at that point, Hermione was currently looking at her father with sadness in her eyes, she couldn't believe he was bringing this up.

"Is that to say that you think I'm weak?" Hermione hissed.

"If you had gone to that school all you would have experienced was pain and sadness, pain and sadness that your mother and I, wouldn't have been able to protect you from," her father told her.

"Oh right I forgot!" Hermione shouted and stood up. "I'm not able to stand on my own two feet, or handle the outside world! Daddy, all you've done since I was young is wrap me up in cotton wool and try to protect me from everything well guess what? You can't!"

With that, Hermione stormed out of the house into the garden leaving Harry alone with her parents.

Mrs. Granger glared daggers at her husband. "You had to do it didn't you, John? You couldn't just leave it alone!"

"Our daughter has her head in the clouds Susan," John huffed. "And lets not begin to talk about that nonsense to do with becoming a teacher."

"You have no faith in your daughter," Susan said hotly before turning her attentions to Harry. "I'm sorry you had to witness this, James."

Harry looked between the older couple, unsure of what to say. "I think I should go check on Hermione."

"I think that would be a good idea," Susan smiled.

****

Harry walked out of the back of the Grangers house, and looked out onto some beautiful views. It wouldn't be right to describe it as a garden, but a mass of fields. Taking in the green scenery, his eyes fell on what looked like a small stable. He began to approach it, thinking that it was highly unlikely for Hermione to be anywhere else. Sure enough after entering the stable, he found Hermione inside stroking a horses mane. It was obvious that she had been crying, and was still very upset.

"Hermione," he said gently.

Hermione spun her head around startled, she hadn't heard him come in. "James, I didn't see you there."

"I came to see if you are ok?" he said walking towards her.

Hermione managed a small smile. "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine." Harry gently raised his fingers to her face and wiped away some tears.

"I'm so sorry," Hermione said sadly.

"Why are you apologizing?" Harry asked.

"He's always like that," Hermione tried to explain. "He refuses to let me be my own person, and each and every time I bite."

"Do you always do that?" Harry questioned.

"Do what?" Hermione asked looking him in the eye.

"Apologize for things that aren't your fault," Harry replied softly.

"I'm so embarrassed," Hermione said quietly. "There you were worried about making the right impression on my father, and he was the one who came across as a total fool."

"I think families are allowed to embarrass one another Hermione, it's like an unwritten rule or something," Harry said trying to cheer her up. It did the trick, Hermione giggled.

"So," Harry patted the horse gently. "Who's this fella?"

"This is my horse, Snitch," Hermione smiled.

"He's a beauty," Harry said confidently. He knew a good strong horse when he saw one, horse riding was one of his biggest hobbies, of course Hermione wasn't aware of that.

"Do you ride?" Hermione asked.

Harry couldn't tell her that it was an activity that he dabbled in almost everyday without arousing some sort of suspicion, so decided to be subtle.

"It's something that I get great enjoyment from when I do, yes," he answered. "How about you?"

"Me too," Hermione said softly. "My father taught me how to ride when I was little girl, we use to have a lot of fun together."

Harry noticed the look of sadness cross Hermione's face when she mentioned her father, his words had hurt her badly that much was obvious.

"Hermione, its obvious how much your father loves you."

"I know that, James," Hermione sighed. "Although his actions sometimes though suggest otherwise."

"Don't ever think that," Harry told her softly. "Believe me, I know what its like to have a father that always likes to think he knows best."

"Any advice on how to deal with it?" Hermione asked.

Harry laughed. "I usually lock myself into a room, soundproof it, then bounce spells off the wall until I'm confident that all the pent up anger and frustration has left me for that week."

"You don't confront him then?"

"Are you kidding me, he's my father?" Harry joked. "We're not all as brave as you Hermione."

Hermione smirked. "You certainly know how to cheer me up."

"I'm glad," Harry smiled.

Both stood in silence for a few moments before Hermione spoke.

"Do you want to get out of here?" she asked.

"Do you?" Harry asked already knowing the answer.

"I do," Hermione smiled.

"Where would milady like to go?" Harry asked stepping closer to her.

Hermione pretended to think about it for a while before giving Harry his answer in a shy quiet voice. "You could always invite me to your apartment."

Harry's breath hitched in his throat. He didn't think he was particularly good with women based on past encounters, but if Hermione's voice was anything to go by, he had a pretty good idea of what she wanted them to do when they got back to his apartment should he take her there. It was at that point that Harry knew the façade had gone on long enough. It was one thing to lie about your identity, it was quite another to use it to get somebody into bed. If something so intimate like that was going to happen to between them, Harry didn't want Hermione to be sharing it with 'James,' he wanted her to be sharing it with him.

The shit was inevitably going to hit the fan eventually, this he knew, but he'd dread to think what she would do to him if he went to bed with her, only for her to discover afterwards that she had been with a man she had grown to hate. To top it off time was running out too, if he didn't do something soon he'd be Mrs. Cho Chang, and his life would be over. He had to come clean. He had to come clean tonight.

"Hermione, would you like to come back to my apartment?" Harry asked, his stomach dropping at the realisation that this could be one of the last times she smiled at him like she was now.

"I would love to," Hermione grinned widely at him, blissfully unaware that the man standing in front of her was about to break her heart. For the second time.

****

Jack the landlord was in his element. Harry and Ron had moved downstairs into his old slum of an apartment, and he'd made a direct swap. He didn't bother to question just what those two boys were up to, no matter how strange the goings on were, they seemed nice enough. Sitting in the bathtub with a cigar whilst watching television, Jack was at the pinnacle of relaxation, when a loud knock echoed around the room.

"You may enter," Jack said removing his cigar.

The door opened, Remus Lupin, King James and two of the king's guards entered.

King James approached Jack. "I'm looking for my son Harry, I understood him to be living at this address."

"Sorry, no one with that name has lived here," Jack said, puffing on his cigar.

"Ron Weasley, then?" Remus spoke up.

Jack smiled. "Yeah he lived here, with his buddy James."

King James, and Remus both looked at each other puzzled. James was about to question the man further when something across the room caught his eye. Crossing the room, he picked up a black t-shit that had been left on a chair. There was no way it would fit the tubby man sitting in the bath, it had to be either Harry's or Ron's. Blazoned across the t-shirt were the words, 'The Black Cats Head' along with the name, James.

"What is this?" King James asked.

Jack briefly turned slightly to see what the man was looking at. "It's a bar down the street, I think the boys work there."

James's eyes widened. "My son's working?!"

Remus found himself being unable to suppress a grin.

"Where are they now?" King James asked, getting agitated.

"They moved downstairs, apartment 1A," Jack told them, not once letting his eyes leave the TV screen.

****

Ron huffed as a knock disturbed him from his dinner. He opened the door expecting to see Harry and Hermione. He was shocked to his core when he came face to face with King James, who didn't look happy.

Ron plastered the best fake smile he could muster upon his face. "Your Majesty, what are you doing here?"

"I received your owl. Where's Harry?" James asked strongly.

Ron glanced at Remus then back to the King, the smile still on his face. "He went out. So how is everyone back ho-"

Ron was cut off abruptly by the king. "Your only job, was to look after my son! What the hell have you two been up to?!"

Ron looked too terrified speak.

"Maybe you can start by telling me why the two of you are living in such unprivileged surroundings, why you're both working in a bar, and last but not least, why Harry is going around calling himself James?!"

"I honestly don't know what to tell you sir," Ron said quickly. "He's gone quite mad your majesty."

James glared at Ron, and took a deep breath. "Turner?"

"Yes your majesty," One of the guards said stepping forward.

"Take Ron back to Gryffindor, see that he gets cleaned up, and see that he's dressed in some decent attire," James ordered.

"Of course," Turner nodded. "Come on Ron."

"Thank you your Majesty!" Ron said clasping his hands in delight.

Remus looked at his friend with concern. "James, what about Harry?"

Remus felt like a second father to Harry, he'd hate to think of him getting in any kind of trouble. Whatever Harry was getting up to, he must have had a good reason for it, he could only hope that James wasn't going to be too hard on him.

James simply closed his eyes, in an attempt to control the growing anger he had for his son at that moment "We wait for him to return, and I shall deal with him myself."

As Remus watched the guard leave with Ron in tow, he glanced thoughtfully at the open door. Remus never went behind James's back, but whatever Harry was up to was sure to infuriate the king. He may live to regret what he was about to do, but he couldn't let Harry walk straight into a dragons den unarmed, he had to let Harry know his father was waiting for him, in a pissed off mood. Remus walked over to the door to close it, but not before making a Gryffindor Royal crest appear above the doorknob. He could only pray that Harry would see it.

****

The closer they got to the apartment, the more nervous Harry was becoming. The hurt he was going to cause Hermione not long from now, was affecting him more than he had prepared for. As they were walking down the street had in hand, she constantly kept sending him loving smiles, comfortingly giving his hand a squeeze every now and then, still unaware of what he was about to do. It was killing him. The dream he had been living was about to end, more abruptly than he thought.

Harry and Hermione entered the building block, and walked down the corridor to his apartment.

"James, I thought your apartment was on the second floor," Hermione said confused.

"Oh it was, but the plumbing in our apartment broke down, so we were moved into this one down here," Harry fibbed.

They were just outside the door. Harry took his key from his pocket when Hermione stopped himby placing her hands on his. "James?"

Harry stopped as he felt Hermione's soft hands grab his own. "Yes?"

Hermione's lips moved but no sound was coming out, she looked nervous about something.

"Are you ok?" Harry asked softly.

"Yes I'm fine," Hermione smiled.

"You look like you want to say something to me," Harry said cradling her face with one hand.

"I do," she admitted quietly.

"Then tell me," Harry encouraged gently.

"I love you," Hermione said softly, finally finding the courage to say what was in her heart.

Harry's eyes widened momentarily, the timing couldn't have been more impeccable. He was terrified that he would never know how she felt about him, not when he was about to come clean and tell her who he really was. He was afraid he would never actually hear the words, but at least now he'd know. She loved him, and she loved him for 'him,' he still had a chance.

"I love you, too," he said softly.

Hermione leant up and kissed him passionately on the lips, Harry was about to return it just as heatedly, before something on the front door caught his eye. The Gryffindor Royal Crest. His father was inside his apartment.

Harry pulled out of the kiss as if he had been burnt.

"James, what wrong?" Hermione asked worried.

"Nothing," he lied. "Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all."

Hermione regarded him with a hurt expression. "I thought this is what you wanted."

"It is what I want, Hermione," Harry insisted, his heart breaking at her hurt expression. "I just feel like I'm rushing you."

"You're not rushing me, James," Hermione said.

"Hermione I think it's better if I take you home," Harry said, desperate to get away from the apartment his father was occupying.

"But I want to," Hermione argued.

"It's better that I take you home," Harry repeated.

Hermione decided no to put up another fight, he'd been acting weird the last few days, something had to be wrong. Had she made a mistake by telling him she loved him? No, that couldn't be it. She loved him, and he loved her, he had just said so himself, so that couldn't be it. So what was it?

****

When they reached Hermione's apartment, Harry desperately made his excuses in order to get away and deal with whatever his father had in store for him.

"Hermione, words will never express how sorry I am for doing this, but I must go," Harry told her.

"It's because of what I said isn't it? That's why you're running away," Hermione said getting upset. "I've ruined everything haven't I?"

"No of course not, how could you think that?" Harry asked in surprise.

"Because the minute I said it, you started acting really weird," Hermione sniffed. "And if you meant it when you said it, you sure have a lousy way of showing it. I just can't help but think that you're keeping something from me."

"Hermione, you have no idea how happy what you said made me, and of course I meant it!" Harry said truthfully. "Trust me, it's not you. And you're right, there is something that I've been keeping from you, and I promise I will tell you about it when the time is right."

"James-"

"Please forgive me, Hermione," Harry kissed her quickly on the lips, on the forehead, and bolted through the front door.

Hermione shook her head in confusion, and heard her roommate enter the room. "Sam, are there any mentally stable men left in this world, and if so why can't I meet any of them?!"

Samantha usually would have laughed or come out with a comment that would make her friend laugh, but when Hermione turned around to find her roommate staring at her with a distraught look on her face, Hermione became instantly concerned. "Samantha, what's wrong?"

"Hermione, I think there's something that you should know," Sam said seriously.

****

Another chapter of JOMT is still being written, it shouldn't be too long now. Please read and review, you know you want to.