Unofficial Portkey Archive

Coming To Salem by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Coming To Salem

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

Hello there. I had to update this asap seeing as so many people were asking about it. Early Christmas present for those who were so desperate then, lol.

Coming To Salem

Chapter 8

****

Queen Lily, with a confident smile gracing her face, strode down the palace corridor towards her son's bedroom. It wasn't long ago since she received word from her husband that he was on his way back to Gryffindor, with someone in tow.

When the queen reached Harry's door she didn't bother knocking, it was past ten o'clock in the morning and she knew her son would still be sleeping. It had become a recent habit of Harry's over the past few weeks ever since he returned from Salem, a habit that his mother wasn't happy with. Bursting through the door, she managed to make enough noise to wake him from his slumber.

Harry awoke slightly startled to see his mother at the bottom of his bed, an unreadable expression on her face. He leaned up on his elbows and cocked his head to one side. "Is everything ok, mother?" he asked groggily.

"It will be," Lily replied smugly. "Time to get up now, Harry."

"I'm not sure that I'm up to that right now, mother," Harry said still disorientated.

"I am sorry, Harry," Lily shook her head. "But I'm afraid that this is no longer a good enough reason to carry on hiding the way you have been. I understand son, really I do. But this has got to stop, and there is no time like the present."

"But, mother…" Harry sighed, letting his head fall back against his pillows.

"Don't you 'but mother' me, Harry," Lily told him firmly. "You have responsibilities to yourself and our kingdom, which you will be resuming today."

Even though he'd found the bravery to argue with his father some weeks ago, his mother was a different story all together. He had been moping around for some time now and his mother was right, he'd neglected his responsibilities and the people around him who cared so much for him. What surprised him was that his parents had let him get away with it for as long as he had. It did have to stop. Maybe this had to be a new day.

Lily walked over to the side of her son's bed. "Now, the last time I dressed you myself many years ago. Will I need to be dressing you today, or shall I fetch Remus?"

Harry scrunched up his face in disgust. "I can dress myself mother, thank you."

"Good, I'm glad to hear it," Lily kissed her son on the cheek, then skimmed a finger across the stubble on his face. "Do shave that off dear, it makes you look rather…unkempt."

"Hermione, liked it," Harry said sadly.

"Then you should keep it," Lily changed her mind rapidly. "Don't be too long dear in getting yourself composed, I have feeling that this is going to be a quite a day for you."

"What exactly is going on?" Harry asked, suspicious at the way the queen was acting. "Do you know something I don't?"

"I know lots of things that you don't, Harry," Lily told him in an innocent voice. "That's why mother knows best, remember?"

"Of course," Harry replied. Lily gave her son one last smile and left the room.

Harry watched the door close and let out a deep breath. He was under no illusions to think that he would heal in such a short time, but it had been over three weeks and the pain in his chest was getting more and more unbearable. He was well aware of his responsibilities and finally understood that no matter how bad he considered things to be in is life at that moment, he couldn't turn his back on them.

He missed Hermione terribly. The only reason he spent most of his time in bed was because he was much happier living in his dreams than in his reality. When he closed his eyes he would remember Salem, and being there with Hermione. He wanted it all back, but he didn't have the slightest clue how to get it. Even though he'd never given up on anything before in his life, only now did he realise that was exactly what he was doing in this situation. He wasn't facing the problem at hand, he was hiding from it. He should be fighting for her. But what did Hermione want? She loved him, that much he knew, but it was obvious she was angry with him and with good reason. However, there was something about the last time he saw Hermione that confused him a little if he was being honest. After some of her anger had subsided and he found the guts to propose, she seemed to be…afraid. Afraid of the prospect of being his wife. The moment she told him she couldn't marry him would forever be scarred into his memory. The one thing in life he'd ever asked for, he couldn't have.

"Stop it, Harry," he said to himself, shaking his head rapidly. "You'll make yourself even more crazy than you have already."

Harry slowly got out of bed and headed for the shower, still not able to stop thinking about a girl who was thousands of miles away. Or so he thought.

****

Remus and Lily were sitting in the large palace conservatory drinking tea, awaiting James' arrival. He was to arrive any minute.

"Tell me the secret," Remus pleaded with Lily. "Just how did you manage to get him to move, let alone speak?"

"Remus, Harry is well aware that his behaviour was becoming borderline embarrassing," Lily explained. "He also knew that I'd had enough and wasn't going to put up with it any longer."

"You told him that?" Remus asked.

"In so many words," Lily smirked. "Anyway, Harry doesn't need to hear it from my mouth, my looks alone usually say it all."

"He never argues with you," Remus said.

"Well of course not, Remus," Lily said in an obvious tone. "I'm his mother and he knows I always take his side in almost everything, as well as wrapping his father round my finger when needed. "

"Oooh, that sounds painful," Remus joked. "Sorry Lily, but its not so much of a victory for you as you'd imagine, having James wrapped around your finger."

Lily raised her eyebrows. "Oh? Why do you say that dear friend?"

"Because James admitted to me some time ago that he rather enjoys it," Remus grinned.

Lily laughed. It appeared that her husband hadn't changed one bit in all the years they had been married, and neither did his conversations with their oldest friend. Lily was about to say something to Remus, when Harry suddenly appeared. His appearance was one that his mother had wanted to see for the past few weeks. Showered, hair tamed and impeccably dressed. But still no sparkle in the eyes.

"Now that's better," Lily smiled warmly at her son.

Remus looked over to see who Lily was talking too and saw Harry standing in the doorway of the conservatory.

"Harry," Remus said standing up. "Good to see you up and about. Was beginning to forget what you looked like."

Harry managed a small smile. "I apologise for my recent behaviour, to both of you."

Remus acknowledged with short nod of the head, as Lily held out her hand to him. "Come and sit," she said gently.

Harry took his mothers hand and sat beside her. Lily took a good look at him and tapped her chin. "You know, after a wash and some grooming that beard doesn't look too bad after all."

"It certainly makes you look more mature," Remus added.

"Harry, is obviously in the final transformation stages of becoming a man," a deep voice spoke. King James had returned.

Lily's eyes lit up at the sight of her husband. Walking over to where he stood, she kissed him gently on the cheek. "You didn't take long. You didn't take long at all." Lily was happy to have her husband back from Salem, but she wasn't sure whether the fact he'd been gone for such a short time was a good thing or a bad thing.

"It didn't go the way I thought it would," James told her, not giving anything away.

"Oh dear," Lily said softly.

James looked over to where his son was sitting, who stood as soon as he felt his father's eyes on him. "Father." he said quietly.

"Nice to see you've joined the land of the living," James commented flatly. He wasn't angry with his son but he was not about to condone his behaviour the past few weeks. Harry recognised this.

"My behaviour has been inexcusable, sir," Harry said. "I will do anything I can to make it up to both you, and my mother."

James nodded. "I think that the best thing for everyone, would be for you to get back into your normal routine."

"I think so too," Lily added agreeing with her husband. She didn't know why but she had a feeling he was up to something.

"Yes, sir," Harry nodded.

"You should start right now," James said, walking closer to his son. "There is a Gryffindor Council candidate waiting for you outside the main boardroom. Remus was going to handle it, but this program is your responsibility, Harry. I must insist that you deal with it now that you're back to resembling something from this planet."

Harry closed his eyes briefly. "The Gryffindor Council. Great," he thought. "Another reminder of how I fucked things up!" "Of course, your majesty," he said, hiding his real emotions.

What happened next surprised everyone in the room. James took his sons face in his hands. "You're my son, and I love you. Remember that always."

Harry was visibly shocked, his father very rarely showed emotion especially in front of an audience, even if they were his son, friend and wife. "I know that…thank you." he said in choked voice.

"You must hurry," the king told him. "You don't want to keep the candidate waiting. Remus shall go with you and bring the candidate to you when you are ready. Good luck son."

The king turned to his wife and winked, then sent her a wicked grin. He was up to something. Harry left the room with Remus in tow, leaving his parents alone.

"What was that?" Lily asked her husband curiously.

The king took his wife into his arms. "Trust me."

"You said things didn't go the way you thought they would," Lily reminded him. "How can you be so…cheery?"

"They didn't," James admitted. "They went better."

Lily was filled with relief at her husbands words, but was still confused. "So what was all that about?"

"Our little prince is in for the surprise of his life, dear," James said happily.

"James, what have you done?" his wife asked with a smile.

****

Harry sat down at his desk and sighed, he wasn't sure he was up to this. He knew he had to resume his royal duties sooner rather than later, he just wished Remus would stop enjoying it as he much as he was.

"Is my misery really that gratifying for you, old man? Harry asked with a hint of bitterness.

"Harry, you can do this with your eyes closed," Remus pointed out. "Everyone knows that you're going through a very tough time right now, but the world doesn't stop."

"Mine has," Harry said glumly.

"Good," Remus said, ignoring the prince' pity party. "I'll bring in the candidate then."

"Great," Harry muttered.

Remus disappeared leaving Harry to rummage through the papers on his desk. Remus returned moments later with the candidate, but Harry didn't look up straight away. The project file on his desk had finally caught his attention, especially it's title.

Eradication of oppressive pro-pureblood laws.

Harry froze, it couldn't be true. He slowly lifted his head and rose to his feet. There, standing right next to Remus, was Hermione.

"Your, highness," Remus smiled widely. "I believe you may already know, Miss Granger."

****

"James," Lily said in a surprised tone. "How could you be so…sneaky?"

"I thought it was a good idea," James said proud of himself. "Lily, I am giving him permission to be with this girl, surely I'm allowed a little fun."

"He will get you for this," Lily warned him. "I don't know what it is with the Potter males and their friends for that matter, but your pranks are sometimes damn right evil!"

James began to laugh. "But his face was worth it wasn't it, Lil?"

"Not to me at first," Lily replied, tapping his arm gently. "I didn't know what you'd been up to either, only that you were trying to get Hermione to come to the palace."

"Which I did," James said triumphantly. "You played your part too."

"All I did was get our son out of bed," Lily said, playing her part in the plan down.

"Which is a difficult thing to do, especially these days," James acknowledged. "And will be in the near future no doubt, if things go as they should."

"Why's that?" Lily asked confused.

James wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. It didn't take his wife long to catch on.

"Eww James!" she scolded gently. "That's our son that you're talking about!"

****

Silence. No one had said a word and it was quickly becoming unbearable. Remus looked between Harry and Hermione, and noticed that their eyes were completely locked. Someone had to break the ice and neither of them seemed to have the strength to do it.

"I'll leave you two to it then shall I?" Remus asked Harry.

"Uh…yes…fine," Harry stuttered, without taking his eyes from the girl in front of him. His mouth had suddenly gone incredibly dry.

Remus turned his attentions to Hermione. "May I get you anything, Miss Granger?"

Hermione broke eye contact with Harry begrudgingly to answer Remus' question. "No, thank you."

Remus nodded. "I shall be outside should the two of you need anything."

"Thank you," Harry said, finally coming out of his daze.

"Your highness," Remus gave a single nod. "Miss Granger." He then left the room, but not before giving Harry a sly wink.

The silence returned but only for a few moments. Hermione started to smile shyly which immediately made Harry do the same.

"Forgive me, I'm somewhat speechless right now," Harry spoke first.

"You're obviously surprised to see me," Hermione said softly.

"Yes, very surprised." Harry said honestly. "I never thought I'd get to see you again." Harry swallowed the lump that was forming in his throat. "How did you…"

Hermione didn't let him finish his sentence. "Your father came to see me."

"My father?" Harry repeated in slight shock.

"He told me things that I never gave you the opportunity to tell me yourself, and probably never would have," Hermione told him. "Is it important to you how I got here?"

Harry eyes blinked rapidly and shook his head. "No. No of course not. I'm grateful that you're here at all."

Hermione caught her lower lip between her teeth. "I wasn't very fair to you, I realise that now."

Harry shook his head to disagree. "You had every right to react the way you did and I shouldn't have expected anything else."

Hermione raised her eyebrows. "You think being physically assaulted should be expected?"

Harry smiled. "No, I suppose not."

"I'm so sorry," Hermione said softly. "I was just so angry at you."

"I know."

Hermione took a deep breath. "I need you to understand, that I had no idea how to deal with everything that was going round in my head when I found out the truth about you. I don't consider myself to being a strong person at the best of times and it was all too much for me to take."

Harry remained silent and allowed her to continue.

"These last few weeks rank amongst the hardest I've ever experienced in my life," Hermione admitted sadly.

Harry stared at her for a few seconds. "Mine too."

Harry was toying with the idea of telling her that he had only just managed to leave his bedroom this morning for the first time in weeks. He thought against it.

"There is something that I'd like to know," Hermione said, a small grin forming on her face.

"Ask anything you like," Harry said confidently.

"Samantha gave me your message," Hermione started slowly. "Can you try and help me understand what you meant by that?"

Harry closed his eyes and smiled again, Hermione must've thought he was crazy. He was, but only crazy in love. He mentioned to Samantha that when he was kicked in the balls by Hermione, the only thing it did was make him love her even more. Now was the time to try and explain that.

Harry slowly walked from around his side of the desk to get closer to Hermione, relieved when she didn't move away. "Hermione, do you have any idea how many new people I meet and have to work with every day? Every one of them so afraid of saying or doing something wrong in front of me, that they'd rather behave like robots rather than let me see the real them. I hate it. The only thing that's worse, is knowing that the only reason someone wants to be with you is purely because you're considered to be a jackpot."

Harry was becoming visibly upset but managed to keep it together. "The only time I hadn't worried about any of those things…was when I was with you. I know I was dishonest with you, but you did get to know the real me no matter how much you believe you didn't. I was just so glad that I could…that someone out there could actually love me. What I'm trying to say, is that even after you found out the truth you didn't change. When you found out that I was a …prince. You still kicked me in the balls and for that I will always respect you," Harry explained with a small laugh. "You made me feel normal for the first time in my life."

Small tears were working their way into Hermione's eyes. She now understood what he meant. Prince or not, she didn't let him get away with the stunts he pulled and that was exactly how he wanted to be. Normal. She made the Prince of Gryffindor feel normal. Hermione thought she knew what loneliness felt like when in reality she had no idea at all.

" I don't know what to say," Hermione almost whispered.

"Can you say…that you still love me?" Harry asked nervously.

Hermione's eyes widened. "Harry…"

"It's ok," Harry cut her off and looked at the floor. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked you that."

Hermione looked at him and felt her heart start to beat wildly.

"Of course I still love you," she told him gently.

Harry's head shot up in surprise. "You do?"

"I do," she said sweetly.

Harry would never be able to explain the euphoria that shot through him at that moment, but he was still a little confused about something. Hermione sensed what he was feeling and knew what it was.

"Do you want to know why I said no to you that day?" Hermione asked him.

"Yes," he replied. It was what he needed to know.

"You scared me," Hermione told him truthfully. "It was all so sudden and I was still so angry at you."

Harry nodded in understanding. "And now?"

Hermione looked around unsure of what to say. "And now, I wish that maybe I had said…something different."

"So do it," Harry told her huskily.

"Do what?" Hermione breathed.

"Say something different."

Hermione looked thoughtful for a moment, then began to get upset. "I'm still afraid."

"Then we can be afraid together," Harry said getting closer to her. "Marry me."

Hermione could no longer control her emotions and started to cry softly. "There are hundreds of girls who'd be more suited to you."

"Marry me," Harry repeated.

"I don't know the first thing about being..." Hermione stopped when she saw Harry close his eyes and shake his head, he wasn't having any of it.

"Marry, me." he said again.

Hermione giggled slightly and could think of nothing else to say to him.

Harry closed the final gap between him and took her face into his hands. Gently he began to caress her cheeks. "Hermione, I love you. Be my Princess?"

Hermione covered the hands that were cupping her face with her own, then breathed deeply. "Yes."

Harry smiled widely and let his forehead lean against that of his fiancée. It wasn't long before he captured Hermione's lips with his own. He poured everything he had into their first kiss as an engaged couple. He knew how independent Hermione was, but he was determined to take care of the woman in his arms for the rest of his life. He would make her happy and do everything in his power to grant every wish in life she should have.

Harry reluctantly broke the kiss and gazed into the eyes of his fiancée. "I'm going to make you so happy."

"You already have," Hermione said, her hand lovingly skimming the side of his face. "You haven't shaved."

"You said you liked it," Harry countered.

"I do," Hermione said. "Makes you look very…sexy."

Harry blushed. "Then I'm never getting rid of it."

Hermione laughed softly and wrapped her arms around him. "I missed you."

Harry hugged her tightly to him. "I missed you too."

The two were happy to be in each others arms at last. Both basking in the moment that they were finally together.

"Hermione?" Harry mumbled into her neck.

"Mmm," Hermione murmured in reply.

Harry pulled his head back to face her. "Do you feel up to meeting my mother?"

Hermione went rigid. It was all so surreal and everything started to flash in front of her at once. This was really happening. She was engaged to the Prince of Gryffindor, who had just asked if she was up to meeting the Queen, a lady who she had respected for as long as she could remember. Her future mother in law.

Hermione nervously started to laugh. "Merlin."

"Hermione, my mother is one of the best people I know," Harry said, trying to ease her nerves. "My happiness has always been the most important thing to her."

Hermione still looked nervous.

"Hermione, if you can handle my father, you can handle my mother," Harry tried to reason gently. "She's going to love you. Trust me."

"I'm just being silly," she said embarrassed.

Harry once again took her into his arms. "No you're not," he assured her. "I can't imagine how this must be for you right now. Just know that…I'm going to be right with you the whole time." Hermione lifted her head to look at him as he continued. "Just like I always will be when you need me."

Hermione snuggled back into him contently. She was nervous, but Harry was right. Everything they needed to get through, they would get through together. One way or another.

****

When I started this fic, I planned for it to end with the final scene of this chapter. After careful consideration, I have decided not to end it here after all, I don't think enough things have been wrapped up. There will be at least one more chapter, but I hope you understand that it can't go on forever. It's been great the amount of readers who have took to this story and I'm so happy that some of you have found enjoyment from it.

I can't say for certain when the next chapter shall appear, but it shouldn't be too long. For now, Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all!!!