Unofficial Portkey Archive

Coming To Salem by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Coming To Salem

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

Coming To Salem

Chapter Three

****

Harry didn't know whether Hermione's obvious distaste for 'The Prince Of Gryffindor' or rather him, was a good thing, or a bad thing. He had never met Hermione before today, so he shouldn't let her opinion of him as a prince get to him too much. It happened all the time, people made up their opinions mostly by what they read in the papers and magazines, and word of mouth, which there was plenty of in the wizarding world especially when it came to him.

What intrigued Harry the most about this situation, was that it was usually young men who had it in for him, purely because of jealousy. They all wanted to be him, and all the women wanted him. However, not once had he met a girl who didn't like him for whatever reason, certainly one who had never even met him before. This could be quite interesting.

Harry knew he was playing a dangerous game. Hermione was nothing but friendly with him, and dare he say it actually flirting with him, that much he could interpret. Though she didn't seem to care too much for the Prince, the other side of him the he was hiding.

"Were you in any of his classes?" Hermione asked, before taking another swig of her drink.

"Most of them," Harry replied, trying not let his nervousness of the subject get the better of him.

"So, on a scale of one to ten, just how arrogant is he?" Hermione questioned.

"I'm anything but arrogant, at least I hope I am," Harry thought. "He never struck me as being arrogant to be honest, if he was I certainly didn't pick up on it."

"Sly then?" Hermione guessed.

"Sly?!! Before you get angry, think about it. You are actually lying to this girl by pretending not to be someone she appears to hate," Harry's mind was going into overdrive. "Sly isn't really the right word."

"What is the right word?" Hermione asked.

Harry raised his eyebrows in thought. "Sneaky."

"Sounds about right," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "Seems to be a rat in every sense of the word if you ask me."

"A rat?" Harry echoed.

"How did he treat women?" Hermione asked ignoring Harry's last remark. "Did he have a different girlfriend every week?"

"I only remember him having one girlfriend," Harry said. "The shrew who my parents expect me to marry."

"Cho Chang, right?" Hermione asked flatly.

"Yeah…but how did you know that?"

"When Fleur came back from the Goblet of Fire tournament, she told us all about her," Hermione said, remembering her and Samantha's conversation with the older girl. "She said Cho, was a total hang on and thought of no one else's feeling but her own."

"That sounds like, Cho," Harry thought bitterly. "Including Harry's feelings for that matter."

Hermione didn't really notice Harry's sentence, and laughed. "Does he let you call him that? Could you get in trouble for not addressing him in the proper manner?"

"He took more offence if people addressed him using a title, trust me," Harry said seriously.

Hermione stopped laughing. "Well, that does surprise me. But tell me this, if he cares nothing for titles, and you just said yourself that Cho, never thought about his feelings, why on earth would he want to marry someone who's so superficial?"

"I don't, that's the problem!" Harry wanted to shout. "Maybe it's not as simple as that."

"I for one can't believe that King James, and Queen Lily, would allow their son to marry someone who is just after a gold toilet!" Hermione huffed. "Their people deserve better than her!"

"You're right, they do," Harry agreed silently. "Perhaps, his parents think they are doing what they think is best for him, and their kingdom."

Harry didn't know why he felt the need to stick up for his parents, it was their fault he was in this predicament to begin with. They genuinely must have thought that Cho, would be a good queen, and that he loved her. He only wished that he could go back in time, and confess to them just how miserable she made him in school.

He didn't love Cho, and he didn't want his princess to be anything like her. He wanted his princess to be sweet, loving and caring. Someone to whom the Gryffindor kingdom could look up to, like they could to his mother and father. He wanted his princess to be like, Hermione.

He may have been jumping the gun, but after only knowing this girl for a day, he felt as though he'd known her forever. Harry was a good judge of character, he had to be when he was often surrounded by people with fake interests. It had taken him a while of course to almost perfect judgement, all his instincts went into overdrive at school, where it seemed that whole of Hogwarts wanted to know him. Also, Voldermort kept him on his toes for a long time, and if he was honest that guard still hadn't come down. There was always a risk of danger, the evil wizard had left so many followers behind. But he didn't want to think of that now.

Hermione had misjudged the prince massively but she was quite happy to talk to Harry, and joke with him. If he thought about it clearly this was what he wanted, for a woman to think the 'prince' was nothing too special, but to think Harry, was.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said softly.

"For what?" Harry asked confused.

"Here I am, tearing strips off a guy that you might have been friends with in school," Hermione said feeling embarrassed. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be," Harry said gently. "It's refreshing to know that there's at least someone in the wizarding world, who sees Prince Harry as person who is less than perfect."

Hermione smiled. "Does everybody in your family talk like you?"

"Do you not like how I talk?" Harry asked.

"No, nothing like that," Hermione stuttered. "I mean yes, of course I like it."

"I like how you talk too, and your voice," Harry said sweetly.

"My voice?" Hermione blushed. "I have a 'know it all' voice."

"You have a teachers voice," Harry told her.

"I'm not sure whether I should take that as a complement. Are you trying to say I appear bossy?" she asked playfully.

"I'm trying to say you sound intelligent, and sweet," Harry smiled as Hermione's face began going red. "You take it as a complement, a big one."

Hermione looked away blushing furiously, and happened to see the clock on the wall, which now read 3.14.am.

"Merlin," Hermione jumped from her stool. "I had no idea of the time!"

"We've been talking for over three hours," Harry stood up. "Seemed like minutes."

"I know what you mean," Hermione said not wanting to move. "I have to hurry and get this place cleaned up, Samantha will be worried sick."

"Two wands are better than one," Harry said, walking over to wear his coat was hanging up.

"Won't Ron, be wondering where you are?" Hermione asked.

"He'll be sleeping like a baby," Harry walked back over to her with his wand in his hand.

After numerous cleaning spells, and levitation, the bar looked as good as new. It didn't take very long, Hermione was glad to have Harry help her as it was much quicker with two people.

Harry stepped outside the bar into the fresh air, and turned to see Hermione locking the door.

"All done for tonight," Hermione said putting the keys in her bag.

"It's a shame," Harry said. "I was really enjoying talking to you."

"I was really enjoying talking to you too, James," Hermione said, wishing the night wouldn't end.

Harry nodded and smiled. "Would it be weird for me to say, nice meeting you?"

"Doesn't seem enough does it?" Hermione said, understanding what he meant.

"Do you live far away?" Harry asked. It was one of things that he had yet to find about her, where she lived.

"The apartment I share with Samantha, is on Bridge Street," Hermione told him. "It's not far from the Common."

"Can I walk you?" Harry asked her shyly.

"Why are you staying near there?" Hermione answered with a question of her own.

Harry looked down. "No…I live on this street."

Hermione stared down the street to where the run down apartment buildings were, and then back at Harry. Surely he couldn't be an occupier, those buildings housed the poorest people in Salem. She never judged people by how they lived, but it was a fact that she was yet to meet a poor person, who spoke as well as Harry did.

"So…you live on, Corwinside Street?" Hermione asked just to make sure she had heard right.

Harry raised his head. "I know its not the best of places to have an apartment, but it's a roof over my head," he said quietly.

Hermione regarded him with a sad expression, it was if he was ashamed of living where he did. "So what if he lives in a run down area, it doesn't change the fact that this is the first man I've ever been interested in. He's cute, polite, and I want to get to know him better. He could live in a skip for all I care."

"You have a place to call home," Hermione said smiling. "What more could you need?"

"Yeah," Harry smiled back. Hermione was saying everything he wanted to hear from her, after she found out where he lived. "You're right."

"If you live just down this road then there's no point in you walking me home, besides I can just apparate," Hermione said immediately regretting it. "I want him to walk me home!"

"I know that, its just that I don't want to say goodnight to you just yet," Harry said nervously. "I'm struggling to remember a time where I had someone this easy to talk to."

"What about, Ron?" Hermione asked grinning.

"He's my best friend," Harry told her. "And you are going to think that I'm positively nuts when I say this, but I feel like I could tell you things that I can't tell him."

"I don't think you're nuts," Hermione said with a smile before turning serious. "Because I feel exactly the same way."

****

Hermione decided to take Harry up on his offer, and let him walk her home. It was all so strange, they had known each other for a day, but both felt like they had known each other forever. They were walking past the Common and were now close to Bridge Street, where Hermione lived.

"You're parents must be very proud of you , Hermione," Harry said as they walked down a street.

"They are proud of me," Hermione said happily. "Although sometimes I wish they wouldn't worry about me as much as they do."

"I'm sure it's only because of how much they love you, Hermione," Harry pointed out.

"Do you ever get the feeling that sometimes your parents just don't understand you?" Hermione asked him. "I mean we know they love us, but sometimes what they think is best for us, couldn't be more wrong for us?"

Harry knew exactly what she meant, his parents had a habit of interfering with his life. What they didn't know, was that what they thought was best for him was actually going to ruin the rest of his life.

"I know exactly what you mean, Hermione," Harry replied knowingly. "My parents never seem, satisfied shall we say."

"James, what are your parents like?" Hermione said. "If you don't mind me asking?"

"I don't mind at all," Harry answered with a smile. "They're great people, Hermione. I love them both, very much. But they just have this habit of thinking they know what's best for me, all the time."

"They sound just like mine," Hermione said, still amazed at how much she and Harry had in common. "They don't want me to work."

"How do they expect you to live?" Harry asked confused.

"As a free spirit," Hermione replied, plastering a fake smile on her face.

"You already seem to be one of those," Harry said, glancing at her with a grin.

"A free spirit," Hermione repeated. "Who's parents want her to live off them I might add."

Harry's eyes widened slightly. "You come across as far too independent to agree to such terms."

"That's because I am too independent," Hermione admitted softly. "They are constantly pressuring me to live under their success and fortune. I know they love me, but is it really that unfair for me to think that they are being totally unreasonable, in asking me not to bother trying to find my own relevance and importance to this world?"

"Of course it's not unfair, Hermione," Harry said comfortingly. "Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. My parents are very much the same. I'm the latest in a long line of family members who are constantly being told how to live, and look at life."

As they continued to walk, Hermione remained silent and let him continue.

"I'm often accused of not wanting, or asking for enough," Harry chuckled.

Hermione snorted. "Yeah, like materialistic things are the only things in life that are important," Hermione said bitterly. "I've never heard of a cheque or credit card keeping you warm on a cold night, or comforting you after receiving bad news."

Harry looked at her in complete awe. "Merlin could she be anymore perfect?" Harry thought. "She is precisely what I'm looking for."

Five minutes later and they were standing outside Hermione, and Samantha's apartment door. Harry and Hermione were suddenly overcome with shyness, and managed to look everywhere but at each other.

Finally, their eyes met, and the lock was on.

"Well," Hermione barely managed to get out. "Thank you for walking me home, James."

Harry smiled. "It was a pleasure, Hermione."

Neither of them knew what to say next, and the silence was making both quite nervous.

Harry cleared his throat." So, I shall see you tomorrow at work?"

"According to this," Hermione pointed to her watch. "You'll see me tonight, at work."

Harry chuckled, it was nearly 4.00am, and the through the corridor window of the apartments block they were in, you could see the clouds in the sky begin to make way for the light.

"Of course," Harry smiled. "Well, goodnight, Hermione. Or should I say, good morning?"

"I don't care if its morning, noon or night, please just kiss me!" "Goodnight, James," Hermione breathed.

They had said goodnight but neither had moved, and neither wanted to. Before he realised what he was doing, Harry began leaning closer. Hermione closed her eyes in anticipation, she had been waiting for this moment for most of the night. Just as their lips were about meet, the sound of a door being opened harshly interrupted them, and they sprang apart.

"Where the hell have you been?!!" A angry voice hollered. "I have been worried sick! Do you know what time it is?! Anything could have happened to you!"

Hermione's roommate suddenly stopped her lecture when her eyes fell on Harry. The seriousness on Samantha's face quickly changed, she was now wearing a evil smirk. "Why Hermione, you never told me you had a date."

Hermione went a shade of crimson. "Oh, he's not…"

Samantha didn't let her friend finish. "No wonder you've been keeping him to yourself."

Harry blushed furiously but was more disappointed than anything else. He had been so close.

"James, started working at the pub tonight," Hermione explained to her friend. "He just walked me home, that's all."

"Do you always thank people who walk you home with a kiss goodnight?" Samantha teased.

Hermione ignored her comment. "James, I'd like you to meet my roommate, Samantha."

"It's a pleasure to meet you miss," Harry said politely. "Hermione's told me all about you."

"The pleasure is all mine, James," Samantha said, fluttering her eyebrows.

Samantha, was proud of her friend, she knew the look in Hermione's face, and knew she really must like, James. She never came home after 3.00am with her friends, let alone a man. One thing that Samantha could never understand about Hermione, was that she never thought enough of herself in the looks department. She knew loads of guys who would want to date Hermione, but Hermione, was never interested, and she never had the confidence to go for what she wanted sometimes when it came to men, for the fear of being rejected, even though she would never admit it.

Sam was not going to let Hermione, let things between her and this, James, become another simple friendship. She decided to do something that would make Hermione, come out of herself a little bit. She was going to make sure that Hermione made it clear to James, that she fancied him by inducing a little jealousy.

"I must say your accent is very sexy," Samantha cooed, putting her plan into action.

"Thank you," Harry said. "Your voice too, is very endearing."

"This Samantha is very forward, she's nothing like Hermione, she's very attractive too but again, nothing like, Hermione," Harry thought to himself.

Hermione saw the two smiling at each other, and instantly became jealous. It was the same story, a man saw her, expressed an interest, and then saw, Samantha, which meant game over. The only thing that was different, is for the first time Samantha, seemed to be encouraging it! Sam, hated it when guys hit on Hermione, then saw her and forgot about her friend, it riled her up to no end. Maybe James, was the hottest thing that Samantha, had seen this year, and decided to forget about friendship.

Hermione thought she would never stand a chance against Sam, if they were to both compete for James, attention. What she didn't know, was that she couldn't have been more wrong. "Would you two like some time alone?"

Samantha looked at her in mock surprise, and Harry looked at her in shock.

"Well, it was nice meeting you, James," Samantha said, getting the exact reaction she had wanted from both of them, and walked back into the apartment giving Hermione a smile as she passed her.

"I think you should go," Hermione told James, not meeting his eyes.

"Have I done something wrong?" Harry asked in a small voice.

Hermione just stood there. Harry didn't understand why she appeared to be upset with him? They were fine up until Samantha…

"Hermione, doesn't think that I fancy her friend does she? How am I to make it more obvious that it's her that I like?"

"Hermione…"

"Please just go," Hermione said with tears stating to form in her eyes.

"Hermione…"

"Goodnight, James," Hermione turned to walk into her apartment, but suddenly felt herself being spun around, pushed up against a wall and being kissed firmly on the lips. It was warm, wet, and searching, and it didn't take long till Hermione found herself responding. Harry pulled away, kissing the corners of her mouth, before going back to kissing her on the lips. They shared several open-mouthed kisses before Hermione's tongue delved into Harry's mouth to taste him. He accepted gladly, raising a hand to gently cup one of her cheeks. Neither wanted the moment to end but the intensity of it all caused both of them to become quickly out of breath, and a few moments later they reluctantly separated, Harry gently caressing her cheek as they parted.

As they broke apart, Harry found it rather cute that Hermione kept her eyes shut as she was trying to regain her breath. She had a dazed expression on her face along with a small smile, and looked as though she was in heaven. Harry was praying he was the cause of that, and was quite confident he was.

"Merlin…" Hermione breathed, eventually letting her eyes flutter open.

"Yes, I'd go with that," Harry smiled, before his face turned more serious. "Hermione?"

"Yes, James," Hermione said, slowly covering Harry's hand on her cheek with hers.

"I'm sorry for being so forward," he said, referring to the way he had first kissed her. "I just had this unpleasant feeling that if I let you close that door in my face, that I'd never see you again."

"You have nothing to apologise for," Hermione told him softly. "It was a childish reaction from me. It's just that the minute you saw Samantha, I thought I was history."

"Why would you think that?" Harry asked.

"She's blonde, tall and gorgeous," she replied in an obvious tone. "Most men go for that kind of thing."

Harry inched closer to her. "I'm not like most men."

"No," Hermione ginned. "No, you're not."

Harry knew he wouldn't be able to wait till tomorrow night to see her, the thought of leaving her now was causing an unwanted feeling in his stomach.

"Would you like to have dinner with me tomorrow?" he asked.

"I'd love to," Hermione said shyly.

"Considering the time," Harry glanced at his watch. "Shall we say about 2.00pm? Give you a chance to have a bit of a lie in."

"Sounds good to me," Hermione said still smiling. Harry still hadn't removed his hand from her cheek, and the hand she was using to cover his still hadn't budged either.

"So, I'll pick you up here?" he asked, leaning towards her.

"Uh-huh," Hermione let her eyes slowly close, and soon felt Harry's lips on hers once again.

It was a gentle, smooth peck on the lips, but it was enough to send jolts of lightning through the both of them.

Harry leaned back, and finally tore his hand away from Hermione's cheek. "So, I'll see you tomorrow?"

"You will," Hermione nodded.

"Goodnight Hermione," Harry said, slowly walking away backwards.

"Goodnight, James," Hermione cooed, her eyes never once leaving his until he was out of sight.

Letting her head fall back against the wall while holding her hands to her heart and grinning like a Cheshire cat, Hermione let herself relive what had turned out to be one of the most amazing days of her life. Never had any man made her feel how she felt now.

She had no experience when it came to men, she had never been sexually involved with anyone and she had only been kissed a few times, most of which were complete disasters. The men she had previously kissed had been rather cruel about her technique and had made fun of her inexperience, so it was understandable that she was rather reluctant to try it again. She had been curious as to what kissing someone felt like which was the only real reason she had let them do it in the first place. But with James, she actually found herself wanting to kiss someone because of how they made her feel.

Tonight she had felt at complete ease with James, he didn't make her feel nervous as such, more excited than anything else. The kiss was everything she had thought it would be and more, and he James must have got some enjoyment out of it if he wanted to take out for dinner. For once in her life, Hermione was looking forward to a date. She had been asked out by someone she liked, and someone who she was sure liked her. With that final thought, Hermione turned and walked into her apartment.

****

The apartment door had barely clicked shut before Hermione, found herself face to face with her best friend who had obviously been spying.

"So that's how you thank people for walking you home," Samantha smirked. "I'd love to know what you would have given him if he'd gave you a ride on his broom."

Hermione shook her head at her roommate, and a smiled as she dropped her keys on the table near the door. "Were you spying on me?"

"I was simply making sure that my best friend, who by the way has absolutely no interest in men, or time I might add got in safely," Samantha said.

Hermione raised her eyebrows and walked past her to go into the living area, Samantha following her. "He was just saying goodnight," Hermione said dreamily.

"Saying goodnight?" Samantha repeated with a laugh. "He had your head in his mouth at one point."

"Samantha!" Hermione chided her friend as she flopped down on the sofa, but was unable to refrain from laughing.

"So where did you find this guy?" Samantha asked, perching on the sofa arm.

"He started working at the pub tonight," Hermione replied. She also went on to explain the whole night, including the long talk they had after their shift had finished.

Samantha took a deep breath. "Certainly sounds perfect."

Hermione smiled at the thought of James. "He's certainly seems to be."

Samantha regarded Hermione with a serious expression, her best friend was certainly falling for this James, whoever he was, in a very sort space of time. Sam by no means wanted to belittle her friends first impressions for this man, on her first impression James did come across as a friendly guy, who for a change only had eyes for her best friend.

"Hermione," Sam started gently. "Just be careful okay?"

Hermione looked at her friend confused. "Be careful of what?"

"I just don't want you to get your hopes up," Samantha told her. "This is the first guy you've taken an interest in, in like forever, I just don't want you to get hurt."

"You're the one who's been pressuring me to go on dates, or have you forgotten about that?" Hermione retorted defensively.

"Of course not," Sam replied. "I think it's fantastic that you're finally putting yourself out there, and James seems lovely."

"But?" Hermione asked, knowing it was coming.

"You don't know him that well yet. Yes you know that you can talk to him, and yes you feel comfortable with him but no one is perfect," Samantha reasoned. "Just promise me that if after the more you get to know him, you find out something about him that completely obliterates the view have of him now, you wont be too surprised."

Hermione nodded her head. She should have expected this, Samantha was very protective of her, and she knew that if the roles were reversed she would be saying exactly the same thing.

"I promise."

Sam smiled. "Good. Now, what was the kiss like?"

****

Harry entered his pit of apartment feeling like he was on cloud nine. Not even the loud snores coming from his best friend could irritate him enough to wipe the huge smile from his face.

He collapsed fully clothed onto his bed, ignoring the horrendous squeak the bed made below the mattress. He noticed the apartment no longer smelled of tobacco and damp walls, it certainly looked the same as when they had left it that afternoon to go to work, but Ron had obviously used some cleaning spells to eradicate the stench that had both made them feel sick. Harry had no problem with that, but the apartment needed to look exactly the way it did now for tomorrow. He was going to ask Hermione if she would let him cook dinner for her. It was the ultimate test. After she saw how he lived, he planned to gauge the reaction and decide whether there was any possibility as to whether she could love him or not. He knew he was moving fast but he didn't have much time, he had a feeling he was right about this girl and even after spending just one day with her, he knew he would rather have Hermione as his princess than the evil manipulative Cho Chang.

"I know I'm right about her," he thought. Harry suspected something major was happening to him because for the first time in his life he was feeling emotions that he'd never experienced before. He could literally feel himself falling in love with Hermione, and even though he was a tad scared of that fact, he had also never felt happier.

He was suddenly daring to believe that maybe, just maybe, love at first sight did exist after all.

****

The next day couldn't have come soon enough for Hermione. She found it extremely difficult to sleep when she had finally got to bed. Her thoughts were invaded by James, their talking, and of course their first kiss. And her dreams when she finally drifted into a sleep, also featured the man who she was quickly falling for. She couldn't stop thinking about him, and was counting down the minutes as to when he would arrive to pick her up for their dinner date.

Hermione rolled out of bed at around 11.30am, but the excitement that was currently going through her permitted no more sleep for this particular day, and she happily walked into the kitchen to get her morning coffee.

Hermione spotted her friend reading at the kitchen table and smiled widely at her. "Good morning, Sam."

Samantha immediately picked up on her friends jovial mood and grinned. "Merlin, you look like you've slept with a coat hanger in your mouth all night."

Hermione didn't reply and happily continued to pour her coffee.

"I'm going to take a shower," Hermione told her friend as she left the kitchen, the smile never leaving her face.

Samantha shook her head laughing and went back to reading her magazine, that had a headline that read:

ROYAL WEDDING APPROACHES:

Less than five weeks to go till the

Prince of Gryffindor

Crushes every witches dream !

****

Harry checked himself over one last time in the mirror he had conjured, he wanted to look his best for Hermione. Taking his wand he performed a spell that minimized the stubble around his face. At first he was really irritated with the facial hair that Luna advised him to have as a disguise, but he was starting to get use to it. Hermione seemed to like his rugged look, he just hoped she understood that he preferred to be clean shaven, that's of course if she still wanted anything to do with him after she found out the truth.

Harry walked over to the bed where Ron, was still sleeping.

"Ron," Harry said nudging him.

"What?" Ron grumbled, his head peeking from under the covers.

"Time to get up my friend," Harry said cheerfully.

"What time is it?" Ron yawned.

"Its 1.30pm," Harry told him looking at his watch.

"We don't have to be at work for like five hours," Ron moaned, and turned over to go back to sleep. "Wake me up then."

"I have a date with Hermione," Harry told him. "And I wish to bring her back here for dinner."

"Take her somewhere else," Ron mumbled.

"Get up now, Ron," Harry said tightly, pulling off Ron's blanket.

"You know I'm sick of this," Ron said sitting up.

"Sick of what?" Harry asked curtly.

"I'm sick of living like a peasant," Ron looked around at his dirty surroundings. "I mean look at this dump!"

"You want to live better?!" Harry asked angrily, he was quickly losing his patience with his best friend. "Fine! Fix the place up a bit, but you are getting out of that bed right now!"

Harry gave his friend one last hard look and left the apartment.

****

Harry bought Hermione some lilies before apparating into her apartment building. He had no idea whether she would like them or not, but he wanted to surprise her with flowers and surely the thought was what counted. He knew he was a little early and hoped he didn't seem too eager, he just couldn't wait to see her again. Taking a deep breath, he knocked on the door.

Hermione's roommate Samantha answered. "James, what are you doing here?"

Harry cleared his throat. "I'm here to pick up, Hermione."

Samantha inwardly grinned. "Time to have a bit of fun with Prince charming," she thought. "James, Hermione isn't here she's gone to visit her parents."

Harry's stomach drooped to the floor. "Oh, I see."

"She's changed her mind, I came on far too strong and now she never wants to see me again," he thought miserably.

Just as he was about to leave, he heard Hermione's voice from inside the apartment. "Samantha, is that James at the door?"

"Sure is," Samantha hollered back.

"Won't be a sec," Hermione shouted.

Harry looked up and saw Hermione's roommate desperately trying mot to laugh.

"That was rather cruel," Harry said with a tiny grin, all his hope restoring quickly.

"Well, at least I know you have a sense of humour," Samantha ushered him inside. "Hermione, will be out in a minute."

Harry walked into the apartment and smiled at how comfortable it looked. It certainly looked very personal and welcoming. It was open plan and had a wonderful view of Salem. The books in the living area that filled the many shelves on the wall had to belong to Hermione, he remembered her telling him that Samantha, was anything but studious.

"So," Samantha interrupted his thoughts. "How did you know about the flowers?"

Harry glanced at the lilies in his hand, and then back at Samantha. "I'm sorry I don't understand."

"They're Hermione's favourite," Samantha told him nicely.

"Mine too," Harry smiled.

Samantha raised her eyebrows. "So you're a guy with a sense of humour, and you have what appears to be sensitive side."

"What makes you think that?" Harry asked shyly.

"It's not often I meet a guy who has a favourite flower," Samantha grinned. "Or should I say a guy that would admit having one."

Harry couldn't help but feel stupid, Samantha was right, most men didn't go around telling people what their favourite flowers were, but he loved lilies because he knew that they would always remind him of his mother. When he was younger the queen, who's main hobby in life is gardening, would always have her son help her plant lilies around the grounds. Harry sometimes wondered whether his mother had wished for a daughter, but he always remembered the fun he use to have with her during those mornings. It wasn't what they were doing that was important, it was the quality time they were spending together and he would always remember that. Just like he would always remember how his father taught him how to ride horses, and how to become the best seeker in all the land.

"I have my reasons," Harry told Samantha.

"I think it's sweet," Sam said.

Harry blushed just as Hermione walked in.

"Hi," Hermione said sweetly.

"Hi," Harry said in a shy voice.

When neither of them made a move to say anything else, Samantha decided to break the ice.

"James, you've met Hermione, Hermione, this is James, you're going to go on a date now okay?" Sam said in a childlike voice.

"Thank you, Sam," Hermione said glaring at her friend.

"Well you kids have fun," Sam started to leave for her bedroom. "Don't do anything I would do!"

When Samantha was out of sight, Hermione spoke first.

"Are those for me?" she asked seeing the flowers.

"They are," Harry handed them to her.

"They're beautiful," she said bringing them to her nose.

"Just like you," Harry said, making Hermione blush.

"I'll just put these in water and then we can go," Hermione smiled.

"Okay," Harry smiled back.

****

They had just stepped out of the apartment block when Hermione turned to Harry.

"So, where do you want to go?" she asked, swinging her bag over her shoulder.

"Well," Harry started nervously. "I was thinking maybe you could come to my apartment, and I could make dinner for you?"

"You want to cook for me?" Hermione asked surprised.

"I'm actually not that bad," Harry said confidently. "But only of you want to."

"I guess we could do that," Hermione nodded.

"Although I have to warn you," Harry said softly. "My home is very poor."

"I don't care about that I'd love to see where you live," Hermione told him in a comforting voice.

"Great," Harry held out his arm. "Shall we?"

Hermione smiled at him, and happily linked her arm in his.

They had decided to walk to Harry's apartment seeing as how they had enjoyed the walk so much the night before. They had nattered so much that they both barely believed it when all of a sudden they were walking down Harry's street. The time it took to walk had flown by. Before they reached the rundown buildings at the end of the street, Harry stopped Hermione from going any further.

"Hermione," Harry said seriously. "My apartment…"

"James," Hermione stopped him. "It doesn't matter to me."

After a moment of gazing into her eyes Harry couldn't help himself, and briefly kissed her on the lips. He was happy to find after he did it that Hermione seemed to have no problem with his action, the only problem she did have was that it didn't last longer.

After entering the building, Harry took out the key to his apartment as they walked down the corridor. Reaching his apartment, he gave one last smile to Hermione who was standing behind him, before unlocking the door and slowly opening it.

Harry froze completely. Ron was sitting in a bathtub watching television, with a butterbeer in his hand, in the middle of what now looked like a millionaire playboys bachelor pad, opposed to the poor mans pit he had left a while ago.

"Harry," Ron beamed happily.

Harry quickly slammed the door shut, and plastered a fake grin on his face when Hermione regarded him strangely.

"Is everything alright?" Hermione asked with raised eyebrows.

"Everything is fine," Harry lied. "Excuse me just one moment will you?"

Harry didn't wait for an answer and went into his apartment closing the door behind him, leaving Hermione out in the hallway to wonder what the hell was going on.

Harry walked straight over to his friend.

"What have you done?!" Harry asked hotly.

"You told me to fix up the place," Ron replied smugly.

"I should kill you!" Harry said between gritted teeth.

"Why?" Ron asked still smug.

"I'm suppose to be a poor man!" Harry said fiercely.

He was about to say more when he heard knocking at the door.

"James," Hermione's voice came from the other side of the door. "James!"

Harry gave a menacing look to his friend before opening the door, stepping outside and closing it immediately behind him.

"Are you alright?" Hermione asked him concerned.

"I'm fine," Harry said, he still had a smile plastered on his face. "Excuse me for just one second."

Hermione frowned as Harry disappeared into his apartment again. Once he was back inside Harry said nothing to Ron, and walked over to the side where he saw his friends money and wand. He took the wand and put it inside his coat, and the money, almost one thousand galleons in notes which he stuffed into his pockets.

"For Merlin's sake Harry, don't take my wand and pocket money," Ron whined like a child.

"If you have no wand and no money, you can cause no more trouble," Harry said flatly. He made his way to door before Ron's voice stopped him.

"You're being unreasonable," Ron said.

Harry pointed at him. "If you have ruined my chances with Hermione, I will never forgive you."

Ron could only look on has Harry left the room.

Harry was once again in the corridor with Hermione.

"Is everything ok ?" Hermione asked him.

"Yes," Harry replied. "Everything is fine."

"Good, can we go in now?" Hermione made a move for the door.

Harry stopped her gently. "No we cannot."

"Why not?" Hermione was now beyond confused.

Harry quickly tried to think of an excuse. "There is a rat, a big, huge rat inside."

Hermione shook her head with an unbelieving look. "Do you know what I think? I think there is no rat, I think that you are just so ashamed of your apartment that you can't even let me see it."

Harry's eyes went from side to side. "That is a very good guess, and it's correct."

Hermione nodded. "James, if it bothers you that much we can just go out to eat."

"That would be much better, thank you," Harry said relieved that she wanted no further explanation.

Harry and Hermione were walking back up Corwinside street when Harry noticed two homeless people to the side of them. He stopped walking.

"Do excuse me for a moment," he said.

Walking over to the homeless people, he discreetly took the money he confiscated from Ron out of his pocket, and placed it into one of their hands. The homeless lady looked at him, and smiled. Harry smiled back, returned to Hermione and began walking again.

"What did you just give them?" Hermione asked looking behind her.

"Oh I just gave them some pocket change," Harry fibbed, he wouldn't be able to explain giving away nearly one thousand galleon notes.

Hermione looked back at him questionably. "He has nothing, yet he still gives what little he has away."

"I don't like to jingle when I walk," he grinned.

Hermione giggled, and looped her arm back in his as they walked to find somewhere to eat.

****

They finally decided on a quiet café in Corwinside, one of Hermione's favourite hangouts. She often went there with Samantha.

After they had eaten, Harry and Hermione engaged in general chit chat, he learned more about her time in France, and about her parents. She learned more about his time in Hogwarts, and what he was actually doing in Salem. He told her he went to college here, and thought he'd got away with it untill Hermione asked him which one.

"Er," Harry stumbled. "Salem College."

Hermione made a weird face. "I never heard of that."

"Well, it's a very small college," Harry said hoping she was buying it. "We don't even have a quidditch team."

"Is that something you enjoy?" Hermione asked.

"Immensely," Harry said, thankful to be off the subjects of college. "I use to play at Hogwarts."

"What position,?" Hermione asked, even though she didn't really care for the sport that much

"I was a Seeker for Gryffindor," Harry replied.

Hermione again wore a face of confusion. "I thought Prince Harry, was the Gryffindor seeker."

Harry's throat went dry, how the hell did she know that if she had no interest in the prince? "I was stand in."

"Were you any good?" Hermione asked.

"I was told so," Harry said, taking a sip of coke.

"But not as good as him," Hermione guessed. "Or was it that his name went up first regardless of how good anyone else was?"

"He was a good player, Hermione," Harry said defending the other side to him.

"I know," Hermione gave in. She knew exactly how good a player Prince Harry was, her best friend was his number one fan when he played, she was just trying to make James feel better about not making the first team.

"Samantha loves quidditch, he was her favourite player when we at school so I know just about every statistic there is to know about him," she explained.

"You not so much," Harry said.

He knew he was treading on dangerous waters by bringing up his other existence, but he needed a more detailed view on why Hermione despised him, the prince, so much.

****

I hope you enjoyed the chapter, things at home are picking up slowly but surely which means I have more time to write just still not as much time as I'd like. Please bear with me, and please, please, please, please read and review! Bye for now. XXX.