Unofficial Portkey Archive

Coming To Salem by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Coming To Salem

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

Coming To Salem

Chapter Five

****

Harry got back to the apartment, and immediately told Ron what he had found out.

"Wow," Ron gasped. "What are the odds?"

"I can't believe it was her," Harry said quietly. "How did this happen to me?"

"Harry, it wasn't you're fault," Ron told him, for once being serious. "Pettigrew, is the one that caused it, he knew you'd never treat anyone like that especially a lady, you were brought up to respect women."

"Her idea was fantastic you know," Harry smiled. "I told my parents about it and they both loved it, especially my mother."

"I can imagine," Ron stood up and went to get a drink, and grabbed one for Harry too. He walked back over to where Harry was sitting, "Here."

"Thanks," Harry took the can of pop from his friend, and opened it immediately. He hadn't noticed how dry his mouth had got.

Ron sat back down. "It's amazing just how much prejudice still goes on, if there was a law to punish them people who use it against others, they may not flaunt it as much."

"You're right, people like the Malfoys would surely feel the repercussions."

"Boy would we all love to see that," Ron smirked, which caused Harry to smile.

"My parents wrote to Hermione, after what happened."

"Still didn't go for it?" Ron asked.

"She returned the letter's unopened, she probably thought they were from me," Harry said sadly.

"Hey," Ron slapped his mate in the shoulder. "I've never known you to give up on anything so don't start now. I can tell that Hermione likes you, it was so obvious, and that thing that happened is exactly where we should leave it, in the past. It wasn't your fault."

"Ron, when she finds out who I really am, I can only hope that she speaks to me long enough to let me explain," Harry said softly.

"If she does forgive you for lying to her all this time," Ron began earning a small glare. "You can make it up to her by trying to get her bill passed through The Gryffindor Council."

Harry furrowed his brows.

"Be positive, Harry," Ron laughed. "She is going to be your queen one day, right?"

Harry grinned. "I hope so Ron."

Ron had made his friend feel much better about the situation he was currently in, that was after all the reason Ron accompanied him, you never know when you may need a friend, and Harry's was always there for him for which he was extremely thankful.

Harry decided to set things in motion yet again, and called up Jack the landlord to his and Ron's room.

"We would like another room please," Harry said to Jack, causing Ron to tut.

"What the hell did you guys do in here?!" Jack asked looking around. "This shit ain't hot is it?"

"No of course not sir," Harry put his mind at ease. "It's just that I want to bring a lady back, and I cannot have her seeing me live like this."

Jack decided not to question this mans sanity, so simply nodded his head. "Fine, you can have my room, I'll move up here."

"Does your house look poor?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, it's a real shithole," Jack replied. "I'll move my stuff in when you two are at work."

Ron folded his arms and looked away like a spoilt child.

"Thank you sir, you are too kind," Harry said. "Ron, move our things."

Harry chucked the keys at Ron, and received a dirty look.

****

After moving their belongings downstairs to Jack's room, time had finally crept up on them and it was time to go to work. They arrived at 'The Black Cats Head' and saw that Hermione was already there. Samantha was sitting at the bar opposite Hermione, nursing a drink.

"Are we open?" Ron asked confused.

"No, not for another twenty minutes." Hermione answered. "This is my friend Samantha, she came with me to get a freebie."

"And you are?" Samantha asked the red head.

"I'm Ron," he replied. "James, friend."

"Nice to meet you, Ron," Samantha smiled.

Hermione was looking at James, he still hadn't spoken to her since he and Ron had walked in, she suddenly had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach.

"I have to go and change some barrels," she said wanting to disappear.

"I'll help you," Harry spoke for the first time since entering the bar.

Hermione nodded, and together they walked down to the cellar in silence.

"Changing barrels," Ron smirked. "It's only the second night and already that's getting old."

"Code for making out," Samantha said cheerfully.

"Nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's obvious," Ron grabbed the ashtrays from the bar, and started putting them on the tables.

****

They both moved the barrels around with ease using their wands, both sneaking little glances at the other. The silence between them was deafening, and Harry couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm sorry I left the way I did earlier," Harry said softly.

"That's okay," Hermione said not looking at him.

"No its not," Harry argued. "It was rude if me."

Hermione did her best to remain emotionless. "James, you had other things to do, I get it."

Harry didn't know what else to say, he had obviously upset her by the way she was acting and he could hardly blame her for it.

"Will you let me make up to you?" he asked hopeful.

Hermione finally turned to meet his face. "You have nothing to make up for."

Harry got closer to her. "I think I do, I'd hate to think that you're upset because of me."

"I'm just being silly," Hermione shook her head. "You did nothing wrong, I just thought that you had left because of me."

"Why would you think that?" he asked confused.

Hermione looked shy for a moment. "Because of what happened in the kitchen before, I thought I might of scared you off."

Harry smiled at her. "The only thing that scares me, is the thought that I may never get the chance to do that again."

"Really?" Hermione breathed.

"I apologize if I haven't made my intentions clear," Harry told her huskily. "I thought I had."

Hermione grinned when he got even closer. "You could remind me from time to time."

"I would never intentionally hurt you, ever." Harry said seriously. Hermione wouldn't know of course that he now knew, she thought he had been the one to hurt her those years ago, and was trying to apologize for it. Harry also had thoughts going through his head, of the inevitable pain he was going to cause her when she found out the truth about him.

"I just want you to know that," he added.

"Well now I do," she grinned.

Harry smiled at her as a naughty thought came to his head. "Before, when you said I could remind you from time to time."

"Hmm."

"Can I remind you now?" he asked, his head leaning towards her.

"You better," Hermione replied dreamily, before grabbing his head in both hands and bringing his lips against hers.

****

Samantha was sat at the bar watching Ron with amusement as he tried to master the art of pint pulling.

"I didn't sign up for this," Ron whined, as another attempt failed.

Sam laughed. "It's Saturday night, James and Hermione won't manage by themselves."

"I tend to be more of a hindrance than a help, trust me," Ron said. "At least that's what my girlfriend tells me anyway."

"Women are usually right," Sam pointed out. "So how long have you and James, been friends?"

"We met when we were eleven," Ron answered, picking up another glass. "Best friends ever since."

"Like me and Hermione, then," Samantha smiled. "I have no idea what I'd do without that girl."

"Yeah," Ron nodded in understanding. "Harry and I are the perfect mix, he's the mature, sensible one, and I'm the comical screw up."

"Hey that's the role I have," Sam said. "I make up the happy balance."

"Which we all need," Ron said, and started to make another attempt at pulling the perfect pint.

Mitchell, the owner suddenly appeared from the back, and froze when he saw the back of the woman at the bar.

"Samantha?" he spoke softly.

Samantha turned her head, and rolled her eyes as if in annoyance. "I didn't think you came in till later."

"Nothing much else to do," he said nicely, despite her cold look.

"For a change," Samantha said flatly, then turned her back to him again.

Ron raised his eyebrows at the scene in front of him, he knew what tension looked like. "I'm going to go do as nature intended, then I think I'll go see what James, and Hermione are up to."

Ron made his escape, and Mitch and Samantha were left alone.

"So how have you been?" Mitch asked.

"Fine," Samantha replied bluntly.

Mitch looked to the floor, she was making this very difficult for him, but he knew he deserved it. "I rarely see you around anymore."

"That's what we agreed was best," Samantha said her back still to him.

"Not 'we' Samantha ," Mitch said shaking his head.

"It's irrelevant now," she said quickly. "It's over and it has been for a long time."

Mitch took a deep breath. "You must remember that it wasn't all bad."

Samantha finally spun around to face him. "The only thing I remember about our relationship, is that you were having sex a whole lot more than I was!"

Mitch looked away guiltily. "It was one time."

"It was enough!" Samantha spat.

"It was only sex," he tried to defend.

Samantha snorted. "Seeing as how that's all our relationship was based on, the fact that you had to get more from someone else was the ultimate insult."

"Did it ever occur to you that because our relationship was based solely on sex, as you put it, that maybe I went to someone else because I wanted more?" he asked sadly.

"Whatever," Samantha said sounding bored. "If that helps you get to sleep at night, Mitch."

There was an uncomfortable silence for a few moments.

"I loved you, Sam," Mitch said emotionally.

Samantha stared at him, then turned to grab her bag from the bar. "Tell Hermione, that I'll see her at home."

"Yeah that's it, run away like you always do," Mitch muttered as Samantha, made for the door.

She opened the door, turned to face him and let out a snort. "You really are pathetic you know that? And I really want to know what it was that possessed me to give you the time of day."

Samantha left leaving Mitchell, standing in the middle of the bar alone.

****

Ron walked down the stairs of the cellar, and wasn't at all prepared for what he found. Right there in front of him, Harry had Hermione pushed up against the cellar wall. Her legs were wrapped around his waist, her hands tangled in his air, and it looked as if they were still trying to get even closer.

Ron ginned. "You know most people come up for air."

At the interruption, Hermione let her legs fall to the floor, before her and Harry broke apart and jumped away from each other. They were caught, again.

"We open soon," Ron said amused. "Think you can keep your hands, and mouths away from each other long enough to help me set up?"

Ron laughed and walked back up the stairs to the bar.

"One day we might actually be left alone," Hermione said embarrassed.

Harry laughed nervously. If she was to be his Princess one day, they would be hounded none stop, would she be able to handle that. It was something that he needed to think about, but shelved the though for the time being.

"Tomorrow," he said.

"Tomorrow what?" she asked.

"I start making it up to you," he replied. "Will you spend the day with me?"

"Just you and me, alone?" she queried.

"Yes," he told her sweetly. "Just you and me."

"I would love too," she gave him a peck on the lips, and walked towards the stairs. "C'mon Romeo, shift starts soon."

She giggled and then ran up the stairs.

****

The next day, Harry took Hermione out for an early breakfast, and then to a park near Salem Common. He didn't know the area that well but had seen this park a few times when he had nipped out to buy food. It had a huge green and a lake, and was perfect for relaxing . It was a popular choice, the park was crowded due to the hot weather, and was full of couples and families. They had managed to find a secluded spot under one of the many trees that were in the park, and had jumped straight in to animated chatter.

Harry was lying on his side propped up on his elbow, gazing at Hermione, who was sitting with her back up against the tree. "Have I told you how beautiful you look today?"

"That would be the fourth time," she smiled.

Harry placed a hand on her crossed legs. "You really are."

"You're very sweet," she said softly.

Harry sat up opposite her, and leant back against his hands. "Do you like to fly?"

Hermione let out a short laugh. "No, I prefer to keep my feet firmly on the ground."

"Are you afraid of flying?"

"Very," Hermione confirmed. "It wasn't something that I took to in school."

"You never had a boyfriend take you up for a romantic flight at night then?" he asked smiling.

"That would have been impossible," Hermione blushed.

"Why?"

"Because I've never really had a boyfriend," she replied slightly embarrassed.

Harry looked somewhat shocked at Hermione's confession.

"I find that very hard to believe," he said softly.

"Well it's true, and yes, extremely sad," she tried to joke.

Harry didn't laugh, instead just continued to gaze at her. Hermione noticed, and looked at him strangely.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she asked.

Harry shook himself out of his reverie. "I assume that's purely down to personal choice."

"They've never exactly been queuing up at my door, James," Hermione told him quietly. "I know I'm not that much to look at."

Harry was amazed, he had no idea just how little Hermione thought of herself sometimes. He had only just told her how beautiful he thought she was, but sometimes people needed more convincing than that.

"Why do you do that?" he asked her seriously.

"Do what?" Hermione asked not understanding his question.

"Put yourself down like that," Harry replied. "How can you not know how gorgeous you are?"

Hermione blushed. "James, you're very sweet, but you don't have to keep doing that."

"What?" he asked, and leaned in towards her. "Don't have to keep telling you how the more time I spend with you, the more I get to know you, the more beautiful you become to me."

Hermione felt some tears began to form, he was so gentle and romantic towards her, she wanted to cry at the sheer beauty of it.

Regaining her composure, she gazed at him and shook her head in wonder. "You're hiding something from me, I know you are."

Harry's eyes widened slightly as his heart began beating faster, but did nothing that would give him away, and confirm her suspicion.

"What makes you think that?" he asked softly.

Hermione grinned at him before answering. "Men like you don't stay single for long."

"Men like me?"

"You're kind, caring, posses impeccable manners, and you're devilishly handsome," Hermione giggled, as she listed his qualities. "And when I talk, you actually look like you're listening."

"But," Harry asked, sensing one coming.

"No one is perfect," Hermione said.

"I suppose I have faults," Harry admitted. "Just like everyone else."

"I'm still yet to see one," Hermione smiled. "Just like still I'm trying to understand why you're still single."

"Am I?" he asked shyly.

"I don't know, are you?" Hermione replied, not wanting to be the one to answer the question.

"I don't want to be," he said softly. "I want to be with you."

"I want to be with you too," Hermione smiled.

"Phew," Harry joked.

He reached over and gently cradled her face with his hand, before kissing her softly on her lips. It was tender, it was sweet, it was everything Hermione wanted.

****

Over the next few weeks, Harry and Hermione were inseparable. They spent every spare minute together, and pined for each other when they were apart. They were becoming closer, and closer every single day. Which meant that for Harry, it was becoming increasingly harder to keep the secret he was hiding. But it didn't stop there. It was time to take a big step in their growing relationship, Hermione, believed it was time to introduce him to her parents. Harry didn't know really what to think of it, not only was he now expected to mislead a woman that he was falling more in love with by the day, but also mislead her mother and father.

He had made his decision. If after meeting her parents Hermione decided she still wanted to be with him, he would confess everything. He knew Hermione loved her parents dearly, but if they didn't take to him and she still thought he was worth the agro she would be certain to get, he knew he would have to come clean. That, and he was running out of time, he only had two weeks left to ask Hermione, to be his princess.

Harry knew from the stories Hermione had told him about her parents that they were very protective of their daughter, and by the sounds of it, wanted Hermione to be with someone that would take care of her, preferably so that Hermione would never have to work again. He would be the perfect candidate in their eyes, well, if they knew the truth, but he was also aware that Hermione would then find him very resistible, which was something else that bothered him. Hermione was very independent, and was always reluctant to let people do things for her. On some of their dates he had to pay the bill while she had nipped to the ladies room, before she insisted on paying for them. Another thing that made him feel guilty. Hermione thought he was poor. It worried him, he couldn't help but think that Hermione was so fond of him because of how happy he acted despite having nothing, when in reality he had everything, well, almost. He still didn't have her. If he didn't have Hermione, he had nothing.

The moment had finally come, and Harry needed to hold it together.

"Daddy," Hermione said, happily introducing Harry to her father. "This is, James."

Mr Granger, held out his hand, and started to look Harry up and down.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr Granger," Harry shook the older man's hand.

"Uh-huh," Mr Granger mumbled.

Hermione narrowed her eyes towards her father, she was expecting it but she still felt embarrassed. She dreaded to think what her fathers reaction was going to be when he found out about James' background.

Harry found it quite amusing. No one, accept those who wanted him dead of course, was ever rude to him, and he'd always wondered what it was like.

"You have a lovely home, sir," Harry commented, only to be stared at coldly.

Hermione's parents lived in a six bed roomed mansion on an impressive estate, and the house was very well furnished, but even after the nasty glare he received from Hermione's dad, he could've easily retorted with a sentence such as, "Even though I could fit your house in my en suite bathroom!" Yet Harry, refused to bite.

Mr Granger finally spoke, though with an edge to his voice. "Maybe, with about thirty years hard work, you could have a place like this for yourself."

Harry wasn't sure what to do or say to that, so simply smiled widely. "That would be something."

Hermione smiled at Harry, he was certainly taking this introduction in his stride, no one was ever this calm in front of her father before, people usually found Mr Granger, quite intimidating. What she didn't know of course was that Harry was use to intimidating people, King James was quite capable of putting the shits up anybody.

"Where's Mum?" Hermione asked, wanting to give Harry a break.

"Probably in the kitchen fussing over dinner," Mr Granger replied. "You know how she is. Dinner shouldn't be too long, why don't you and your, little friend here, join me in the dinning room?"

Without waiting for a response, Mr Granger began to lead them to the living room.

"James, I'm so sorry," Hermione apologised. "He always does this."

Harry smiled at her. "Don't worry, I've come against more frightening people than that, trust me."

"I think you handled him very well," Hermione told him, before sneaking a quick kiss, and dragging him towards the dinning room.

****

Whilst Harry was meeting Hermione's folks, his best friend Ron was becoming more and more agitated with the conditions that he and Harry were living in. Harry had confiscated both Ron's wand and money, but was going to be powerless to stop the events his friend was about to set in motion. Ron couldn't bear the thought of living like they were for the next two weeks, and with that final thought, put the letter in the owls mouth that was sitting on his windowsill.

"There we go, Pig," Ron patted her softly. "Take this to King James."

****